Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 1151859 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5655 on: January 04, 2019, 09:42:47 AM »
Devotee: In the Theosophical Society, they meditate in order to seek the Masters to guide them.

Sri Bhagavan : The Master is 'within'. Meditation is meant to remove the ignorant idea that He is only 'outside'. If He be a stranger whom you await, He is bound to disappear also. Where is the use for a transient being like that ? But, as long as you think you are separate or that you are the body, so long is the Master 'without' also necessary, and He will appear as if with a body. When the wrong identification of oneself with the body ceases, the Master will be found as none other than the SELF.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5656 on: January 05, 2019, 09:30:21 AM »
Devotee: It is said that the Guru can make his disciple realise the Self by transmitting some of his own power to him? Is it true?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Yes. The Guru does not bring about Self-Realisation. He simply removes the obstacles to it. The Self is always realised.

Devotee: Is there absolute necessity of a Guru for Self-Realisation?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: So long as you seek Self-Realisation the Guru is necessary. Guru is the Self. Take Guru to be the Real Self and your self as the individual self. The disappearance of this sense of duality is removal of ignorance. So long as duality persists in you the Guru is necessary. Because you identify yourself with the body you think the Guru, too, to be some body. You are not the body, nor is the Guru. You are the Self and so is the Guru. This knowledge is gained by what you call Self-Realisation.

Devotee: How can one know whether a particular individual is competent to be a Guru?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: By the peace of mind found in his presence and by the sense of respect you feel for him.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5657 on: January 05, 2019, 09:32:02 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: There are persons who seek freedom from misery. They are told that God guides all and so there need not be any concern about what happens. If they are of the best type they at once believe it and firmly abide by faith in God. But there are others who are not so easily convinced of the truth of the bare statement. They ask: "Who is God? What is His nature? Where is He? How can He be realized?" and so on. In order to satisfy them intellectual discussion is found necessary. Statements are made, their pros and cons are argued, and the truth is thus made clear to the intellect.

When the matter is understood intellectually the earnest seeker begins to apply it practically. He argues at every moment, "For whom are these thoughts? Who am I?" and so forth, until he is well-established in the conviction that a Higher Power guides us. That is firmness of faith. Then all his doubts are cleared and he needs no further instructions.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5658 on: January 05, 2019, 09:50:17 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: The dead man does not grieve. The survivors grieve for the man who is dead. Do men fear sleep? On the contrary sleep is courted and on waking up every man says that he slept happily. One prepares the bed for sound sleep. Sleep is temporary death. Death is longer sleep. If the man dies while yet alive he need not grieve over others' death. One's existence is evident with or without the body, as in waking, dream and sleep. Then why should one desire continuance of the bodily shackles? Let the man find out his undying Self and die and be immortal and happy.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5659 on: January 06, 2019, 09:13:03 AM »
A visitor asked Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi, "What is the right conception of life?"

Bhagavan Sri Ramana: If you know who wants to have this cleared, i.e., who puts this question, then all will be solved. What is meant by life, by right conception, and who are you?

Visitor: I am a man. I want to know what is the right conception of life so that I may live accordingly.

Bhagavan Sri Ramana: Life of man is what is. That which is, is. All the trouble arises by having a conception of it. Mind comes in. It has a conception. All trouble follows. If you are as you are, without a mind and its conceptions about various things, all will be well with you. If you seek the source of the mind, then alone all questions will be solved.

Another visitor asked Sri Bhagavan, "Will not right conduct be enough to secure salvation?"

Bhagavan Sri Ramana: Salvation for whom? Who wants salvation? And what is right conduct? What is conduct? And what is right? Who is to judge what is right and what is wrong? According to previous samskaras (predispositions or latent tendencies), each one regards something or other as right. It is only when the reality is known, what is right can
be known. The best course is to find out who wants this salvation, and in tracing this 'who' or ego to its original source consists all right conduct.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5660 on: January 06, 2019, 09:31:18 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Why should your occupation or duties in life interfere with your spiritual effort? For instance, there is a difference between your activities at home and in the office. In your office activities you are detached and so long as you do your duty you do not care what happens or whether it results in gain or loss to the employer. But your duties at home are performed with attachment and you are all the time anxious as to whether they will bring advantage or disadvantage to you and your family. But it is possible to perform all the activities of life with detachment and regard only the Self as real. It is wrong to suppose that if one is fixed in the Self one?s duties in life will not be properly performed. It is like an actor. He dresses and acts and even feels the part he is playing, but he knows really that he is not that character but someone else in real life. In the same way, why should the body-consciousness or the feeling 'I-am-the-body' disturb you, once you know for certain that you are not the body but the Self? Nothing that the body does should shake you from abidance in the Self. Such abidance will never interfere with the proper and effective discharge of whatever duties the body has, any more than the actor?s being aware of his real status in life interferes with his acting a part on the stage.

You ask whether you can tell yourself: 'I am not the body but the Self'. Of course, whenever you feel tempted to identify yourself with the body (as you may often have to, owing to old vasanas or or latencies) it may be a help to remind yourself that you are not the body but the Self. But you should not make such repetition a mantram (sacred utterance), constantly saying: 'I am not the body but the Self'. By proper enquiry into the Self, the notion 'I am this body' will gradually vanish and in time the faith that you are the Self will become unshakeable.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 09:32:53 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5661 on: January 06, 2019, 09:39:34 AM »
The Asramam compounder asked some questions about his experiences during meditation. Bhagavan explained that the Self is the one reality that always exists and it is by its light all other things are seen. We forget it and concentrate on the appearances. The light in the hall burns, both when persons are present there and when they are absent, both when persons are enacting something as in a theatre and when nothing is being enacted. It is the light which enabled us to see the hall, the persons and the acting. We are so engrossed with the objects or appearances revealed by the light that we pay no attention to the light. In the waking state or dream state, in which things appear, and in the sleep state, in which we see nothing, there is always the light of consciousness or Self, like the hall-lamp always burning. The thing to do is to concentrate on the seer and not on the seen, not on the objects, but on the Light which reveals them.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5662 on: January 07, 2019, 09:07:17 AM »
A visitor asked Bhagavan, with reference to the words dhimahi in the gayatri, "What is the idea meant? I am not able rightly to grasp it."

Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi: The words only mean fixing the 'aham' in the Self, though literally they mean, 'We meditate'.

Visitor: I am not able to form a conception of the 'Tat' or the Self. Then, how am I to fix the 'aham' in the Tat.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Why should you bother to conceive the Tat which you don't know? Try to find out the 'I' that you know, what it is and whence it arises. That is enough.
.......................................................................................

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: The real Self is the Infinite 'I-I', i.e., 'I' is perfection. It is eternal. It has no origin and no end. The other 'I' is born and also dies. It is impermanent. See to whom are the changing thoughts.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 09:09:24 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5663 on: January 07, 2019, 09:23:00 AM »
A visitor prefaced his remarks with the submission that he was without eye, i.e., like a bull roaming about without eyes and that he prayed for enlightenment.

Bhagavan Sri Ramana asked him, "Have you not got eyes?"

He replied, "I want the eye which would enable me to see what is the body and what is the soul."

Sri Bhagavan: You say this. You have a body and you say 'my body', etc. How do you see all this?

Visitor: With the fleshy eye. I lead the life of egoism.

Sri Bhagavan: Exactly. So, to see wherefrom this ahamkara (ego) rises and to go back to its source is the only way. You wanted the way. This is the only way, to go back by the same way by which you came. You said the way which the great ones of old trod. They all used only this way. Because you asked 'Which way?', I replied 'The way by which you came'.

Dear devotees, this is a famous episode. A visitor asked Sri Bhagwan as to which way to go, and Sri Bhagwan taught him to go the way he came. The visitor expressed doubt and asked Sri Bhagwan if he went the way he came, then what would happen.

Bhagavan Sri Ramana replied, "If you go, you go away. That is all. There is nothing more. You won?t come back. Because you asked 'which way?', I said 'The way you came'. But who are you? Where are you now and where do you want to go, that one may show the way? All these questions will have to be first answered. So the most important thing is to find out who you are. Then all else will be solved."

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan has thus taught that if we go the way we came, we as creatures go away, never to return back to claim again 'I' and 'mine', and what remains is WHAT  IS.

Anil

« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 09:29:14 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5664 on: January 07, 2019, 09:36:10 AM »
A visitor asked Bhagwan Sri Ramana in the course of his long talk, "How else is the jiva (individual soul) to join sivam (God), how is the jivatman to become one with the Paramatman (God)?"

Bhagavan Sri Ramana said, "We do not know anything about Siva or the Paramatman (God). We know the jiva (individual soul). Or, rather, we know we exist. 'I am' is the only thing that always abides, even when the body does not exist for us, as for instance, when we are asleep. Let us take hold of this, and see wherefrom the 'I' sense or ahamkara (ego), as you put it, arises."

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5665 on: January 08, 2019, 09:00:30 AM »
Devotee: What is Maya (Illusion)?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Seeing ice without seeing that it is water is illusion, Maya. Therefore saying things like killing the mind or anything like that also has no meaning, for after all mind also is part and parcel of the Self. Resting in the Self or inhering in the Self is Mukti (Liberation), getting rid of Maya. Maya is not a separate entity. Absence of light is called darkness, so also absence of Knowledge, Illumination etc., is called ignorance, illusion or Maya.

Devotee: What is Samadhi?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: When the mind is in communion with the Self in darkness, it is called nidra (sleep), i.e., the involution of the mind in ignorance. Involution in a conscious or wakeful state is called Samadhi. Samadhi is continuous  inherence in the Self in a waking state. Nidra or sleep is also inherence in the Self but in an unconscious state. In Sahaja Samadhi the communion is continuous.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5666 on: January 08, 2019, 09:12:16 AM »
"Mind alone is the cause of man's bondage and freedom."
    Amritabindu Upanishad

Devotee: I have not yet learnt to control my mind so I intend to seek ekantavasam (life in solitude) in North India and want Sri Bhagavan's grace.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: You have come all the way to Tiruvannamalai for ekantavasam, and that in the immediate presence and vicinity of Ramana Bhagavan, yet you do not appear to have obtained that mental quiet; you now want to go elsewhere and from there you will desire to go to some other place. At this rate there will be no end to your travels. You do not realize that it is your mind that drives you in this manner. Control that first and you will be happy wherever you are. I do not know if you have read Swami Vivekananda's lectures. It is my impression that he has somewhere told the story of a man trying to bury his shadow and finding that over every sod of earth he put in the grave he had dug for it, it only appeared again, so that it could never be buried. Such is the case of  a person who tries to bury his thoughts. One must therefore attempt to get at the very bottom from which thought springs and root out thought, mind and desire.

Devotee: When I spent an hour or two on the hill yonder, I sometimes found even better peace than here, which suggests that a solitary place is after all more conducive to mind-control.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: True, but if you had stayed there for an hour longer, you would have found that place too not giving you the calm of which you speak. Control the mind and even Hell will be Heaven to you. All other talk of solitude, living in a forest etc., is mere prattle.

Devotee: If solitude and abandonment of home were not required, where then was the necessity for Sri Bhagavan to come here in his seventeenth year?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: If the same force that took this (meaning himself) here, should take you also out of your home by all means let it, but there is no use of your deserting your home by an effort of your own. Your duty lies in practice, continuous practice of Self-enquiry.

Devotee: Is it not necessary to seek the company of the wise (the Saints and Sages)?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Yes; but the best sat-sangam is inhering in your "Self". It is also the real guhavasam (living in the cave). Dwelling in the cave is retiring into your "Self". Association with the wise will certainly help a great deal.
................................................................................................

Dear devotees, this question of seeking solitude for spiritual practice or sadhana was put to Sri Bhagwan, more often than not,  by devotees and visitors , oblivious of the fact that  solitude is in the mind. Seekers after Truth seem to be continually seeking retreats for themselves, in the country or by the sea, or among the hills or in the woods. The import of Sri Bhagwan's Teaching, in my view, is this that it is open for everyone every moment to retire into oneself, and inhere in the Self. Therefore, indeed it is sheer folly to run hither and thither to find peace and solitude, for a fancy for places and changing residence will not be helpful and only delude.
Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 09:16:53 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5667 on: January 09, 2019, 08:59:21 AM »
Devotee: Is it not our duty to be patriots?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi: Your duty is to be and not, to be this or that. 'I AM THAT I AM' sums up the whole truth; the method is summarised in ?be still?. And what does stillness mean? It means 'destroy yourself'; because, every name and form is the cause of trouble. 'I-I' is the Self. 'I am this' is the ego. When the 'I' is kept up as the 'I' only, it is the Self. When it flies off at a tangent and says 'I am this or that, I am such and such', it is the ego.

Devotee: Who then is God?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: The Self is God. 'I AM' is God. If God be apart from the Self, He must be a Selfless God, which is absurd. All that is required to realise the Self is to be still. What can be easier than that? Hence atma vidya (Self-knowledge) is the easiest to attain.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 09:01:31 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5668 on: January 09, 2019, 09:10:17 AM »
Sri K.M. Jivrajani: In the early stages would it not be a help to man to seek solitude and give up his outer duties in life?

Sri Bhagavan Ramana: Renunciation is always in the mind, not in going to forests or solitary places or giving up one's duties. The main thing is to see that the mind does not turn outward but inward. It does not really rest with a man whether he goes to this place or that or whether he gives up his duties or not. All that happens according to destiny. All the activities that the body is to go through are determined when it first comes into existence. It does not rest with you to accept or reject them. The only freedom you have is to turn your mind inward and renounce activities there.

Sri K.M. Jivrajani: But is it not possible for something to be a help, especially to a beginner? Like a fence round a young tree. For instance, don't our books say that it is helpful to go on pilgrimage to sacred shrines or to get sat sang.

Sri Bhagavan: Who said they are not helpful? Only such things do not rest with you, as turning your mind inward does. Many people desire the pilgrimage or sat sang that you mention, but do they all get it?

SriK.M. Jivrajani: Why is it that turning inward alone is left to us and not any outer things? Sri Devaraja Mudaliar answered: Nobody can answer that. That is the Divine scheme.

Sri Bhagavan: If you want to go to fundamentals, you must enquire who you are and find out who it is who has freedom or destiny. Who are you and why did you get this body that has these limitations?
Day By Day With Bhagavan

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 06:07:55 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5669 on: January 10, 2019, 08:58:27 AM »
Devotee: This 'I-thought' rises from me. But I do not know the Self.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi: All these are only mental concepts. You are now identifying yourself with a wrong 'I', which is the 'I-thought'. This 'I-thought' rises and sinks, whereas the true significance of 'I' is beyond both. There cannot be a break in your being. You, who slept, are also now awake. There was not unhappiness in your deep sleep. Whereas it exists now. What is it that has happened now so that this difference is experienced? There was no 'I-thought' in your sleep, whereas it is present now. The true 'I' is not apparent and the false 'I' is parading itself. This false 'I' is the obstacle to your right knowledge. Find out wherefrom this false 'I' arises. Then it will disappear. You will be only what you are - i.e., Absolute Being.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 09:00:13 AM by eranilkumarsinha »