Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 1031926 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5640 on: December 30, 2018, 09:13:02 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Look, the Self is only Be-ing, not being this or that. It is simple Being. Be - and there is an end of the ignorance. Enquire for whom is the ignorance. The ego arises when you wake up from sleep. In deep sleep you do not say that you are sleeping and that you are going to wake up or that you have been sleeping so long. But still you are there. Only when you are awake you say that you have slept. Your wakefulness comprises sleep also in it. Realise your pure Be-ing. Let there be no confusion with the body. The body is the result of thoughts. The thoughts will play as usual, but you will not be affected. You were not concerned with the body when asleep; so you can always remain.

Dear devotees, indeed, since the Self is only simple Be-ing, there is nothing to practice. To know myself, I only need to be myself.  Be--and there is an end of imagination.  And what does it take to be myself?  We need only to stop imagining ourselves to be this and that, and just be.  Endless seeking must culminate in simple state of being, that is, Awareness 'I AM, NOW',  for our true nature to emerge, destroying the entrenched, residual predispositions (vasanas).  This, in my view, is the essence of the Teaching. 

Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5641 on: December 30, 2018, 09:24:35 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: The essence of mind is only awareness or consciousness. When the ego, however, dominates it, it functions as the reasoning, thinking or sensing faculty. The cosmic mind being not limited by the ego, has nothing separate from itself and is therefore only aware. This is what the Bible means by 'I am that I AM'.

Another visitor asked Bhagavan, "What is the difference between the mind and the Self?"

Bhagavan Sri Ramana: There is no difference. The mind turned inwards is the Self; turned outwards, it becomes the ego and all the world. The cotton made into various clothes, we call by various names. The gold made into various ornaments, we call by various names. But all the clothes are cotton and all the ornaments gold. The one is real, the many are mere names and forms. But the mind does not exist apart from the Self, i.e., it has no independent existence. The Self exists without the mind, never the mind without the Self.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5642 on: December 31, 2018, 09:23:09 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana observed thus: "Being of the nature of Bliss why does one continue to crave for happiness? To be rid of that craving is itself salvation. The Scriptures say, 'You are That'. The imparting of that knowledge is their purpose. The realization must be by your finding out who you are and abiding as That, i.e. your Self. To be repeating, 'I am that' or 'not this' is only a waste of time. For the worthy disciple, the work lies within himself and not without."
"We are so accustomed to objectivity that we have lost the knowledge of our Self simply because the Self cannot be objectified. We are the Self, yet we ask how to know the Self."
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 09:24:53 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5643 on: December 31, 2018, 09:26:05 AM »
Bhagavan Sri Ramana: There is only one state, that of consciousness or awareness or existence. The three states of waking, dream and sleep cannot be real. They simply come and go. The real will always exist. The 'I' or existence that alone persists in all the three states is real. The other three are not real and so it is not possible to say they have such and such a degree of reality. We may roughly put it like this. Existence or consciousness is the only reality. Consciousness plus waking, we call waking. Consciousness plus sleep, we call sleep. Consciousness plus dream, we call dream. Consciousness is the screen on which all the pictures come and go. The screen is real, the pictures are mere shadows on it. Because by long habit we have been regarding these three states as real, we call the state of mere awareness or consciousness as the fourth. There is however no fourth state, but only one state.

Mr. O. P. Ramaswami Reddiar (the Congress leader) asked Sri Bhagavan, "But why should these three states (waking, dream and sleep) come and go on the real state or the screen of the Self?"

Sri Bhagavan: Who puts this question? Does the Self say these states come and go? It is the seer who says these states come and go. The seer and the seen together constitute the mind. See if there is such a thing as the mind. Then, the mind merges in the Self, and there is neither the seer nor the seen. So the real answer to your question is, "Do they come and go? They neither come nor go." The Self alone remains as it ever is. The three states owe their existence to non-enquiry and enquiry puts an end to them. However much one may explain, the fact will not become clear until one attains Self-realisation and wonders how he was blind to the self-evident and only existence so long.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 09:28:22 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5644 on: December 31, 2018, 09:41:45 AM »
Devotee: How does individuality emanate from the Absolute Self, and how is its return made possible?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi: As a spark proceeds from fire, individuality emanates from the Absolute Self. The spark is called the ego. In the case of the ajnani, the ego identifies itself with some object simultaneously with its rise. It cannot remain without such association with objects. This association is due to ajnana, whose destruction is the objective of one's efforts. If this tendency to identify itself with objects is destroyed, the ego becomes pure and then it also merges into its source. The false identification of oneself with the body is dehatma-buddhi or 'I-am-the-body'-idea. This must go before good results can follow.

Devotee: How am I to eradicate it?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: You exist in sushupti (sleep) without being associated with the body and the mind, but in the other two states you are associated with them. If you were one with the body, how could you exist without the body in sushupti? You can separate yourself from what is external to you but not from that which is one with you.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5645 on: January 01, 2019, 09:43:42 AM »
Devotee: The Gita was taught for action.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: What does the Gita say? Arjuna refused to fight. Krishna said, "So long as you refuse to fight, you have the sense of doership. Who are you to refrain or to act? Give up the notion of doership. Until that sense disappears you are bound to act. You are being manipulated by a Higher Power. You are admitting it by your own refusal to submit to it. Instead recognise the Power and submit as a tool. (Or to put it differently), if you refuse you will be forcibly drawn into it. Instead of being an unwilling worker, be a willing one. Rather, be fixed in the Self and act according to nature without the thought of doership. Then the results of action will not affect you. That is manliness and heroism."
Thus, 'inherence in the Self' is the sum and substance of Gita teaching. Finally, the Master Himself added, "If a man be established in the Self these doubts would not arise. They arise only until he is established there."

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 09:51:02 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5646 on: January 01, 2019, 10:12:58 AM »
Sri Paul Brunton has written in his fourth book 'A Message from Arunachala' thus:

I found my own good fortune and needed no other, for I discovered one of the last of India's spiritual supermen, the Illuminated Sage of Tiruvannamalai. I 'sat at his feet', as the ancient Indian phrase of pupilship poetically terms it, and thereby learned, through a dynamic experience, of what divine and deathless stuff man is really made. What higher fortune than that can we, pitiful mortals, require?
He sat as immobile as a rock in the ocean, cross-legged in meditation. We foolishly imagine that such a man has failed to put up with the bustling procession of life; it never occurs to us that he may have far out-stepped it.

The Maharshi said, "Suffering turns men towards their creator." Such simple words --yet what a whole philosophy is congealed within the phrase. You may think them to be platitudinous, and they would be, did they not derive from a man who knew what he was talking about because he ascended to spiritual regions beyond our ken, to regions where God is. The following is from The Note Books of Paul Brunton (vol.10): Ramana Maharshi was one of those few men who make their appearance on this earth from time to time and who are unique, themselves alone --not copies of anyone else. Face to face with the Maharshi, sometimes one felt in the presence of a visitor from another planet, at other times with a being of another species. Gazing upon this man, whose viewless eyes are gazing upon infinity, I thought of Aristotle's daring advice, "Let us live as if we were immortal." Here was one who might not have heard of Aristotle, but who was following this counsel to the last letter.

Source: Face to Face With Sri Ramana Maharshi

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:16:32 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5647 on: January 01, 2019, 10:26:39 AM »
A visitor from the Punjab asked Bhagavan: When I meditate I feel a certain bliss at times. On such occasions, should I ask myself 'Who is it that experiences this bliss?'

Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi: If it is the real bliss of the Self that is experienced, i.e., if the mind has merged really in the Self, such a doubt will not arise at all. The question itself shows real bliss was not reached. All doubts will cease only when the doubter and his source have been found. There is no use removing doubts. If we clear one doubt, another doubt will arise and there will be no end of doubts. But if the doubter is found to be really non-existent, by seeking for the source of the doubter, then all doubts will cease.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5648 on: January 02, 2019, 09:30:21 AM »
Bhagavan Sri Ramana said: They pray to God and finish with 'Thy Will be done!' If His Will be done why do they pray at all? It is true that the Divine Will prevails at all times and under all circumstances. The individuals cannot act of their own accord. Recognise the force of the Divine Will and keep quiet. Each one is looked after by God. He has created all. You are one among 2,000 millions. When He looks after so many will He omit you? Even common sense dictates that one should abide by His Will. Again there is no need to let Him know your needs. He knows them Himself and will look after them. Still more, why do you pray? Because you are helpless yourself and you want the Higher Power to help you. Well, does not your Creator and Protector know your weakness? Should you parade your weakness in order to make Him know it?

Devotee: But God helps those who help themselves.

Sri Bhagwan: Certainly. Help yourself and that is itself according to God's Will. Every action is prompted by Him only. As for prayer for the sake of others, it looks so unselfish on the surface of it. But analyse the feeling and you will detect selfishness there also. You desire others' happiness so that you may be happy. Or you want the credit for having interceded on others' behalf. God does not require an intermediary. Mind your business and all will be well.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 09:32:29 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5649 on: January 02, 2019, 09:44:56 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi: Now see which is your real nature. Is it that which is free from thoughts or that which is full of thoughts? Being is continuous. The thoughts are discontinuous. So which is permanent?

Devotee:  Being.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: That is it. Realise it. That is your true nature. Your nature is simple Being, free from thoughts. Because you identify yourself with the body you want to know about creation. The world and the objects including your body appear in the waking state but disappear in the state of sleep. You exist all through these states. What is it then that persists through all these states? Find it out. That is your Self.

Devotee: Supposing it is found, what then?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Find it out and see. There is no use asking hypothetical questions.

Devotee:  Am I then one with Brahman?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Leave Brahman alone. Find who you are. Brahman can take care of Himself. If you cease to identify yourself with the body no questions regarding creation, birth, death, etc., will arise. They did not arise in your sleep. Similarly they will not arise in the true state of the Self.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5650 on: January 03, 2019, 09:03:55 AM »
Devotee: Through poetry, music, japa (chanting), bhajana, the sight of beautiful landscapes, reading the lines of spiritual verses etc., one experiences sometimes a true sense of all-unity. Is that feeling of deep blissful quiet (wherein the personal self has no place) the same as the entering into the Heart of which Bhagavan speaks? Will practice thereof lead to a deeper samadhi and so ultimately to a full vision of the Real?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi: There is happiness when agreeable things are presented to the mind. It is the happiness inherent to the Self, and there is no other happiness. And it is not alien and afar. You are diving into the Self on those occasions which you consider pleasurable; that diving results in self-existent bliss. But the association of ideas is responsible for foisting that bliss on other things or occurrences while, in fact, that bliss is within you. On these occasions you are plunging into the Self, though unconsciously. If you do so consciously, with the conviction that comes of the experience that you are identical with the happiness which is verily the Self, the one Reality, you call it Realization. I want you to dive consciously into the Self, i.e., into the Heart.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5651 on: January 03, 2019, 09:21:58 AM »
Devotee: One has at times vivid flashes of a consciousness whose centre is outside the normal self, and which seems to be all-inclusive. Without concerning ourselves with philosophical concepts, how would Bhagavan advise me to work towards getting,
retaining and extending those rare flashes? Does abhyasa in such experience involve retirement?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Outside! For whom is the inside or outside? These can exist only so long as there are the subject and object. For whom are these two again? On investigation you will find that they resolve into the subject only. See who is the subject; and this enquiry leads you to pure Consciousness beyond the subject. The normal self is the mind. This mind is with limitations. But pure Consciousness is beyond limitations, and is reached by investigation as above outlined.

Getting: The Self is always there. You have only to remove the veil obstructing the revelation of the Self.

Retaining: Once you realise the Self, it becomes your direct and immediate experience. It is never lost.

Extending: There is no extending of the Self, for it is as ever, without contraction or expansion.

Retirement: Abiding in the Self is solitude. Because there is nothing alien to the Self. Retirement must be from some one place or state to another. There is neither the one nor the other apart from the Self. All being the Self, retirement is impossible and
inconceivable.

Abhyasa (Practice) is only the prevention of disturbance to the inherent peace. You are always in your natural State whether you do abhyasa or not.... To remain as you are, without question or doubt, is your natural State.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5652 on: January 03, 2019, 09:32:34 AM »
Devotee: Cannot Grace hasten ripeness in the seeker?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Leave it all to the Master. Surrender to Him without reserve. One of two things must be done: either surrender yourself, because you realise your inability and need a higher power to help you; or investigate into the cause of misery, go into the Source and so merge in the Self. Either way, you will be free from misery. God or Guru never forsakes the devotee who has surrendered himself.

Bhahgwan Sri Ramana: Surrender to Him and abide by His will whether he appears or vanishes; await His pleasure. If you ask Him to do as you please, it is not surrender but command to Him. You cannot have Him obey you and yet think that you have surrendered. He knows what is best and when and how to do it. Leave everything entirely to Him. His is the burden: you have no longer any cares. All your cares are His. Such is surrender. This is bhakti.

Or, enquire to whom these questions arise. Dive deep in the Heart and remain as the Self. One of these two ways is open to the aspirant.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5653 on: January 04, 2019, 09:21:00 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana:

"There never was and never will be a time when all are equally happy or rich or wise or healthy. In fact none of these terms has any meaning except in so far as the opposite to it exists. But that does not mean that when you come across anyone who is less happy or more miserable than yourself, you are not to be moved to compassion or to seek to relieve him as best you can. On the contrary, you must love all and help all, since only in that way can you help yourself. When you seek to reduce the suffering of any fellow-man or fellow-creature, whether your efforts succeed or not, you are yourself evolving spiritually thereby, especially if such service is rendered disinterestedly, without the egoistic feeling 'I am doing this', but in the spirit 'God is making me the channel of this service; He is the doer and I the instrument.'"

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5654 on: January 04, 2019, 09:39:12 AM »
Question: Is there no need for a Guru then?

Bhagavan Sri Ramana: When it is necessary the Self itself will take the form of an external Guru and initiate you into the process. He will push you in and hand you over to the inner Guru who is already there. Finally, the Atman, which abides in the Heart, embraces you there.

Question: Now, may I know sir, what is the distinguishing feature of this method?

Sri Bhagavan: The sense of 'I' is always present in us. So, it is relatively easy to find the Self through this 'I', which is an emanation of the Self. Further, if, before the 'I' ramifies into many forms, we put our attention via this method on the parent-form of the 'I', this makes for the direct dissolution of the 'I' in its source. Otherwise, if you begin the enquiry when the 'I' has already taken many forms, you will be swept away by its illusive power and never reach its source.

Question: The Self is nameless and formless. How then can we find it by the questioning of this 'I' that has a name and a form?

Sri Bhagavan: The false 'I' or ego stands between the soul and the body, and connects them. Now, soul is conscious while the body is inert. The false 'I' binds them together. So, it is also called the knot between matter and spirit [chit-jada-granthi].From this we see that it has its feet in the Self and its head in the body. Therefore, by enquiring into the origin of the ego, we can easily proceed and reach the formless Self.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 09:41:33 AM by eranilkumarsinha »