Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 1079887 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5625 on: December 24, 2018, 09:55:41 AM »
Devotee: What are asanas (postures or seats)? Are they necessary?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Many asanas with their effects are mentioned in the Yoga sastras. The seats are the tiger-skin, grass, etc.; the postures are the 'lotus posture', the 'easy posture' and so on.
Why all these - only to know oneself? "I am the body; the body requires a seat; it is the earth," thinking thus, he seeks seats. But in sleep did he think of the support or the bed: the bed on the cot and the cot on the earth? Did he not exist in sleep too? How was he then? The truth is - Being the Self, the ego rising up, confusing himself with the body, mistaking the world to be real, differentiating the objects, covered by the ignorance of the 'I'-conceit, he thinks wildly and also looks for seats. He does not understand that he himself is the Centre of all and thus forms the basis for all.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 09:58:17 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5626 on: December 24, 2018, 10:02:32 AM »
Devotee:  How to conquer desire, anger, etc.?

BhagwanSri Ramana Maharshi: Desire or lust, anger, etc., give you pain. Why? Because of the 'I'-conceit; this 'I'-conceit is from ignorance; ignorance from differentiation; differentiation from the notion of the reality of the world and this again from 'I-am-the-body' idea. The last can be only after the rise of the ego. The ego not arising, the whole chain of mishaps disappears. Therefore prevent the rise of the ego. This can be done by remaining in your own real nature; then lust, anger, etc., are conquered.

Devotee: So then all these have their root in ignorance.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Quite so. Ignorance gives rise to error, error to conceit, etc. What is ignorance? Can it be of Pure Brahman which is only the Self or Pure Knowledge? Only let the questioner know his own Self, i.e., be the Knowledge; this question will not arise. Because of ignorance he raises the question. Such ignorance is of the questioner and not of the Self. The sun seen, no darkness persists.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5627 on: December 25, 2018, 09:08:28 AM »
When asked about the efficacy of bhakti, Sri Bhagavan Ramana said:

?So long as there is vibhakti, there must be bhakti. So long as there is viyoga, there must be yoga. So long as there is duality, there must be God and devotee. Similarly also in vichara. So long as there is vichara, there is duality too. But merging into the Source there is unity only. So it is with bhakti too. Realising the God of devotion, there will be unity only. God too is thought of in and by the Self. So God is identical with the Self. If one is told to have bhakti for God and he does so straightaway, it is all right. But there is another kind of man who turns round and says: ?There are two, I and God. Before knowing the far-off God, let me know the more immediate and intimate ?I?.? For him the vichara-marga has to be taught. There is in fact no difference between bhakti and vichara.?                                                                                                                                           

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5628 on: December 25, 2018, 09:55:04 AM »
Sri Paul Brunton:

"There are moments when I feel this power of his so greatly that I know that he has only to issue the most disturbing command and I will readily obey it. But the Maharshi is the last person in the world to place his followers in the chain of servile obedience, and allows everyone the utmost freedom of action. In this respect he is quite refreshingly different from most of the teachers and yogis I have met in India."

"The gist of his message is: "Pursue the enquiry, 'Who am I?' relentlessly. Analyse your entire personality. Try to find out where the 'I'-thought begins. Go on with your meditations. Keep turning your attention within. One day the wheel of thought will slow down and an intuition will mysteriously arise. Follow that intuition, let your thinking stop and it will eventually lead you to the goal.""

"I struggle daily with my thoughts and cut away slowly into the inner recesses of the mind. In the helpful proximity of the Maharshi, my meditations and self-soliloquies become increasingly less tiring and more effective. A strong expectancy and a sense of being guided inspire my constantly repeated efforts. There are strange hours when I am clearly conscious of the unseen power of the Sage being powerfully impacted on my mentality, with the result that I penetrate a little deeper still into the shrouded border land of being, which surrounds the human mind."
.........................................................................................

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan Ramana has taught that the merging of the intellect in the Source from where it arose gives birth to intuition. Indeed, if one pursues Enquiry relentlessly trying to find out the source of 'I'-ness or 'I Am'ness within us, thinking and thoughts begin to slow down and mind progressively becomes still. One begins to hear the voice of intuition albeit feebly at first and then with more and more clarity and certitude. Once this mysterious Knowledge arises on the Path, all an aspirant has to do is to follow that intuitive Knowledge unerringly till the Goal is reached.

Pranam,
 Anil     
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 09:57:22 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5629 on: December 25, 2018, 10:13:31 AM »
Bhagavan Sri Ramana: No. 'Who am I?' is not a mantra. It means that you must find out where in you arises the I-thought which is the source of all other thoughts. But if you find this vichara marga too hard for you, you can go on repeating 'I, I' and that will lead you to the same goal. There is no harm in using ?I? as a mantra. It is the first name of God.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5630 on: December 26, 2018, 08:59:09 AM »
Bhagavan Sri Ramana said, "We are all in reality Sat-Chit-Ananda. But we imagine we are bound and are having all these pains."

Devotee: "Why do we imagine so? Why does this ignorance or ajnana come to us?"

Sri Bhagavan said, "Enquire to whom has this ignorance come and you will find it never came to you and that you have always been that Sat-Chit-Ananda. One performs all sorts of penances to become what one already is. All effort is simply to get rid of this viparita buddhi or mistaken impression that one is limited and bound by the woes of samsara."

Later Sri Bhagavan said, "The spark of jnana will easily consume all creation as if it were a mountain-heap of cotton. All the crores of worlds being built upon the weak (or no) foundation of the ego, they all topple down when the atomic bomb of jnana comes down upon them."

Sri Bhagavan said further, "All talk of surrender is like pinching jaggery from the jaggery image of Lord Ganesa and offering it as naivedya to the same Lord Ganesa. You say you offer your body, soul and all possessions to God. Were they yours that you could offer them? At best, you can only say, 'I falsely imagined till now that all these which are yours (God's) were mine. Now I realise they are yours. I shall no more act as if they are mine. And this knowledge that there is nothing but God or Self, that I and mine don't exist and that only the Self exists, is jnana.' He added, 'Thus there is no difference between bhakti and jnana. Bhakti is jnana mata or mother of jnana.'"

« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 09:04:26 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5631 on: December 26, 2018, 09:06:03 AM »
Devotee: Is there only one Self or are there more selves?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi: This is again due to confusion; you identify the body with the Self. You think: 'Here I am; here he is, there is another; and so on'. You find many bodies and think they are so many selves. But did you ask in your sleep 'I am sleeping here, how many are there who are awake?' Does any question arise, for the matter of that? Why does it not arise? Because you are only one and there are not many.

Devotee: What is my Tattva (truth)?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi: You are yourself the Tattva. Is there a different one to know the Tattva of another? How can you exist apart from the Tattva? The very fact of your existence makes you ask this question. Your very existence is the Tattva. Give up the habiliments of the Tattva and remain in your essential nature. All the Scriptures tell you only not to waste your efforts in non-truth - non-tattva. Give up the non-Tattva. Then Tattva remains always shining pure and single.

Devotee: I want to know my Tattva and my duties.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Know your Tattva first and then you may ask what your duties are. You must exist in order to know and do your duty. Realise your existence and then enquire of your duties.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 09:07:47 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5632 on: December 26, 2018, 09:19:18 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi: "Is the cinema screen affected by a scene of fire burning or sea rising? So it is with the Self."

"The idea that I am the body or the mind is so deep that one cannot get over it even if convinced otherwise. One experiences a dream and knows it to be unreal on waking. Waking experience is unreal in other states. So each state contradicts the others. They are therefore mere changes taking place in the seer, or phenomena appearing in the Self, which is unbroken and remains unaffected by them. Just as the waking, dream and sleep states are phenomena, so also birth, growth and death are phenomena in the Self. which continues to be unbroken and unaffected. Birth and death are only ideas. They pertain to the body or the mind. The Self exists before the birth of this body and will remain after the death of
this body. So it is with the series of bodies taken up in succession. The Self is immortal. The phenomena are changeful and appear mortal. The fear of death is of the body. It is not true of the Self. Such fear is due to ignorance. Realisation means True Knowledge of the Perfection and Immortality of the Self. Mortality is only an idea and cause of misery. You get rid of it by realising the Immortal nature of the Self."

« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 09:21:21 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5633 on: December 27, 2018, 08:56:25 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Let the sensible man consider if he knew his body in deep sleep. Why does he feel it in the waking state? But, although the body was not felt in sleep, did not the Self exist then? How was he in deep sleep? How is he when awake? What is the difference? Ego rises up and that is waking. Simultaneously thoughts arise. Let him find out to whom are the thoughts. Where from do they arise? They must spring up from the conscious Self. Apprehending it even vaguely helps the extinction of the ego. Thereafter the realisation of the one Infinite Existence becomes possible. In that state there are no individuals other than the Eternal Existence. Hence there is no thought of death or wailing. "If a man considers he is born he cannot avoid the fear of death. Let him find out if he has been born or if the Self has any birth. He will discover that the Self always exists, that the body which is born resolves itself into thought and that the emergence of thought is the root of all mischief. Find where from thoughts emerge. Then you will abide in the ever-present inmost Self and be free from the idea of birth or the fear of death."

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5634 on: December 27, 2018, 09:16:41 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Just as the waking, dream and sleep states are phenomena, so also birth, growth and death are phenomena in the Self, which continues to be unbroken and unaffected. Birth and death are only ideas. They pertain to the body or the mind. The Self exists before the birth of this body and will remain after the death of this body. So it is with the series of bodies taken up in succession. The Self is immortal. The phenomena are changeful and appear mortal. The fear of death is of the body. It is not true of the Self. Such fear is due to ignorance. Realisation means True Knowledge of the Perfection and Immortality of the Self. Mortality is only an idea and cause of misery. You get rid of it by realising the Immortal nature of the Self.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 04:36:55 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5635 on: December 28, 2018, 04:18:08 PM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi: It is only after seeing the Self within that one will be able to see the Self in everything. One must first realise there is nothing but the Self and that he is that Self, and then only he can see everything as the form of the Self. That is the meaning of saying, "See the Self in everything and everything in the Self", as is stated in the Gita and other books.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: He who dedicates his mind to Thee and, seeing Thee, always beholds the universe as Thy form, who at all times glorifies Thee and loves Thee as none other than the Self, he is the Master without peer, being one with Thee, lost in Thy Bliss, Oh Arunachala!
V.5, Sri Arunachala Panchratna

Dear devotees, in the Verse 6. 29 of the Gita, it is stated that one who is integrated in Yoga (Yoga yuktatma) sees all with an equal eye, seeing himself (Self) in all beings and all beings in himself (Self).  Anil
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 06:19:18 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5636 on: December 29, 2018, 08:50:06 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: The Self is immortal. The phenomena are changeful and appear mortal. The fear of death is of the body. It is not true of the Self. Such fear is due to ignorance. Realization means True Knowledge of the Perfection and Immortality of the Self. Mortality is only an idea and cause of misery. You get rid of it by realizing the Immortal nature of the Self.

Devotee: If the world is only a dream, how should it be harmonized with the Eternal Reality?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: The harmony consists in the realization of its inseparateness from the Self.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana quoted from the great Saint Sri Thaumanavar the gist of which is as follows:

"Bliss will follow if you are still. But however much you may tell your mind about this truth, the mind will not keep quiet. It is the mind that won't keep quiet. It is the mind which tells the mind, 'Be quiet and you will attain bliss'."

Sri Bhagwan added, "Though all the scriptures have said it, though we hear about it every day from the great ones, and though even our Guru says it, we never are quiet, but stray into the world of maya and sense objects. That is why conscious, deliberate effort or meditation is required to attain that Mauna state or the state of being quiet."
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 08:52:15 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5637 on: December 29, 2018, 12:29:03 PM »
Devotee: I never thought I was going to have the good fortune of visiting Bhagavan. But circumstances have brought me here and I find in his presence, without any effort on my part, I am having santi (peace). Apparently, getting peace does not depend on our effort. It seems to come only as the result of grace! Bhagavan was silent. Meanwhile, another visitor remarked, "No. Our effort is also necessary, though no one can do without grace."

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Grace is always there. Dispassion cannot be acquired, nor realization of the Truth, nor inherence in the Self, in the absence of Guru?s Grace. Practice is necessary. It is like training a roguish bull confined to his stall by tempting him with luscious grass and preventing him from straying. Then the Master read out a stanza from Tiruvachakam, which is an address to the mind, saying: "O humming bee (namely, mind)! Why do you take the pains of collecting tiny specks of honey from innumerable flowers? There is one from whom you can have the whole storehouse of honey by simply thinking or seeing or speaking of Him. Get within and hum to Him (hrimkara)."

Devotee: Should one have a form in one's mind, supplemented with reading or chanting God?s name in one's meditation?

Sri Bhagwan: What is mental conception except it be meditation?

After some time, Sri Bhagavan remarked, "Mantra japa (Incantation of a sacred formula), after a time, leads to a stage when you become Mantra maya i.e., you become that whose name you have been repeating or chanting. First you repeat the mantra by mouth; later you do it mentally. First, you do this dhyana (meditation) with breaks. Later, you do it without any break. At that stage you realise you do dhyana without any effort on your part, that dhyana is your real nature. Till then, effort is necessary."

Dear devotees, a Mantra is a sacred formula, which is used as an incantation. And Mantra Dhyana is the meditation or spiritual awareness induced or supported by Incantation. When the Japa (Incantation) is the predominating tendency, vocal Japa becomes eventually mental which is same as meditation.

Sri Bhagwan has taught that there is a state beyond our efforts or effortlessness. Until this state is realized effort is necessary,till then the effort is sine-qua-non. However, having experienced the Bliss or peace even once, which is almost common to all those who are pursuing the supremely beneficial Path of the Self-inquiry sincerely and earnestly, and with love for the Divine, no one would like to be out of it or engaged himself otherwise, and this experience would nudge such a one further on till he is established in that state of Mauna or the Silence of the Self, which is beyond our efforts and effortlessness.

Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 12:31:59 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5638 on: December 29, 2018, 12:48:36 PM »
Bhagavan Sri Ramana: It is by the grace of God that you come to desire to know yourself. This desire to know yourself is itself a clear sign of the Atman's grace. So, there is grace already working as the source of your effort. Grace is not an external quality of the Self but its very nature. It abides in your Heart, pulling you inward into itself. The only task you must do is turn your attention inward and search the source of 'I'. This is the only personal effort we have to put in. That is why [one can say that] where there is no grace, there is no desire at all for the quest for the Self.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5639 on: December 30, 2018, 09:00:21 AM »
Such have I known,
Him of lustrous eyes, Him whose sole look
Pierced to the heart, wherein the seed was sown
Of wisdom deeper than in holy books
Of Truth alone
Not to be learned but lived.

Question: I don't know is there really separation?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi: Find out to whom is the viyoga.  That is yoga.  Yoga is common to all paths.  Yoga is really nothing but ceasing to think that you are different from the Self or reality.  All the yogas --karma, jnana, bhakti and raja --are just different paths to suit different natures with different modes of evolution.  They are all aimed at  getting people out of the long cherished notion that they are different from the Self.  There is no question of union or yoga in the sense of going and joining something that is somewhere away from us or different from us, because you never were or could be separate from the Self.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 09:01:57 AM by eranilkumarsinha »