Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 1017216 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5505 on: October 28, 2018, 02:07:17 PM »
Quote from Sri Jewell:
"We ripen when we refuse to drift, when striving ceaselessly become a way of life,
when dispassion born of insight becomes spontaneous.
When the search 'Who Am I?' becomes the only thing that matters,
when we become a mere torch and the flame all important, it will mean that we are ripening fast.
We cannot accelerate that ripening, but we can remove the obstacles of fear and greed,
indolence and fancy, prejudice and pride."
"Maurice Frydman, April 1976 The Mountain Path"

Q: Everybody quotes scriptures.
Sri Nisaragadatta Maharaj: Those who know only scriptures know nothing. To know is to be. I know what I am talking about; it is not from reading, or hearsay.
Q: I am studying Sanskrit under a professor, but really I am only reading scriptures. I am in search of self-realisation and I came to get the needed guidance. Kindly tell me what am I to do?
Sri M: Since you have read the scriptures, why do you ask me?
Q: The scriptures show the general directions but the individual needs personal instructions.
Sri M: Your own self is your ultimate teacher (sadguru). The outer teacher (Guru) is merely a milestone. It is only your inner teacher, that will walk with you to the goal, for he is the goal.
Q: The inner teacher is not easily reached.
Sri M: Since he is in you and with you, the difficulty cannot be serious. Look within, and you will find him.
Q: When I look within, I find sensations and perceptions, thoughts and feelings, desires and fears, memories and expectations. I am immersed in this cloud and see nothing else.
Sri M: That which sees all this, and the nothing too, is the inner teacher. He alone is, all else only appears to be. He is your own self (swarupa), your hope and assurance of freedom; find him and cling to him and you will be saved and safe.
Source: I Am That

Dear Sri Jewell, Sri David Godman said of Sri Maurice Frydman thus:

Quote:
"This man for me a shining beacon of how devotees could and should be with their teachers. He was just absolutely an extraordinary man. And went out of his way to cover his tracks; to hide what he actually had accomplished in his life. So I've enjoyed the detective work of looking in obscure placers, digging out stuff that he personally tried to hide, not because it was embarrassing, but because he didn't like to take credit for what he'd done. So I see this as an opportunity to wave the Maurice flag and say "look look, this is one of the greatest devotees, sadoc seekers from the West who has been to India in the last 100 years, and I think more people should know about him.""
Sri David Godman

Dear Sri Jewell, from what I have understood myself about great Sri Maurice, he was an illumined and a highly advanced devotee, if not a fully realized Sage.
Thank you so much for providing link for the books. I have downloaded and saved the book 'Seeds of Consciousness', and shall soon get the rest you recommended soon.

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 02:23:32 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5506 on: October 29, 2018, 12:50:48 PM »
Sri V. Ganesan:
Without giving up hope, this school teacher (Sadhu Sri Natanananda, an old devotee-anil) went to Bhagavan again and pleaded, "Bhagavan, I want to experience your gracious wisdom. Kindly fulfill my prayer!" Bhagavan looked at him for a full fifteen minutes. When a question was put to Bhagavan, he would not usually answer immediately. Instead, he would prepare the questioner with silence and only then give the answer, so that it remained with the questioner as direct experience. He was more interested in the questioner than in the question. He gazed at Natanananda and said, "Is it the body in front of me which desires to obtain grace or is it the awareness within it? If it is the awareness, is it not looking upon itself as the body and making this request? If so, let the awareness first of all recognize its nature. It will then automatically recognize God and grace. The truth of this can be realized even now and here." Wave after wave of pure ecstasy pulsed through Natanananda and he stayed in Bhagavan's presence for hours. He was blessed by Bhagavan's glance of grace.

Natanananda once told me that even Bhagavan's glance did not completely fulfil him and that there were some residual tendencies despite his leading a strictly austere life. Once, when he was in Bhagavan?s presence, Kavyakantha Ganapati Muni and other scholarly devotees were sitting with Bhagavan and speaking in Sanskrit about Hindu scriptures. Utterly dejected that he could not follow a single word about the lofty subjects that were being discussed, he sat silently with tears streaming down his cheeks. When he opened his eyes, everyone had left and only Bhagavan was there. Bhagavan looked at him compassionately and asked, "Why are you so dejected? If you were really unfit to realize the Self in this life, you could not have come to this place at all." (This applies to all of us.) Bhagavan continued, "The power that drew you here will make you realize the Self. If not today, then at some other time it is bound to fulfil its commitment. There is no reason why you should be dejected." This dissolved all imperfections in Sadhu Natanananda and drove out all his ignorance. With this, he too became a Self-realized sage.

The day he understood his realization, he went incognito. The outward symbol of his becoming Self realized was his obscurity. He lived alone - happy to be immersed in the Self all the time. After Bhagavan?s mahasamadhi in 1950 and until 1967, many did not even know if Natanananda was still alive. Though he stayed in a cottage in Tiruvannamalai, no one knew where he was. Like most of the old devotees, I too thought that he had passed away.
Source: Periya Puranam

Dear devotees, the Power that drew us all to the Lotus Feet of Sri Bhagwan will make us realize the Self too, if not today then at some other time of His choosing He is bound to fulfil His Assurance, and therefore, indeed there is no reason why anyone of us should be dejected. He has assured that He will be there even in our death and even in the realm after the death. Has He not? So, our duty is to practice 'Who Am I?' with love, eagerness and earnestness, and Be, and recognize our true nature as Awareness.  Yet, that moment when it will happen is always only and only Now, for the Now is the 'I AM', Now is the Reality. 

Anil
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 12:53:58 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5507 on: October 29, 2018, 09:00:50 PM »
Dear Sri Jewell, Sri David Godman said of Sri Maurice Frydman thus:

Quote:
"This man for me a shining beacon of how devotees could and should be with their teachers. He was just absolutely an extraordinary man. And went out of his way to cover his tracks; to hide what he actually had accomplished in his life. So I've enjoyed the detective work of looking in obscure placers, digging out stuff that he personally tried to hide, not because it was embarrassing, but because he didn't like to take credit for what he'd done. So I see this as an opportunity to wave the Maurice flag and say "look look, this is one of the greatest devotees, sadoc seekers from the West who has been to India in the last 100 years, and I think more people should know about him.""
Sri David Godman

Dear Sri Jewell, from what I have understood myself about great Sri Maurice, he was an illumined and a highly advanced devotee, if not a fully realized Sage.

Dear Sri Anil,

Yes,Sri Maurice is one beautiful Soul,and for sure a Jnani. Maharaj said He was Jnani,and He worshiped His portrait also,along with other ones He had in His flat. I believe Him,and this is something i felt also.
But,what is most important is that He was remarkable man,and i wish David has all luck he needs to write more about Maurice.

Thank You,my dear friend,for sharing these profound words from Maharaj!

With love,

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5508 on: October 30, 2018, 08:42:29 AM »
Never try to stop the thoughts. If you try to stop the thoughts, they will become bigger and greater, and they will win. Because the mind appears to be very powerful. Yet in reality, the mind does not exist. There is no mind. There is no such thing as a mind. So when you sit in the Silence, you observe, you watch, you become the witness, you can do many things. You can watch your breath by practicing vipassana meditation, watch the feelings in your body, observe the breathing. Yet the better way is to still inquire, "Who am I?" You never answer that question. You just ask the question and keep still. When you keep still, thoughts will come into your mind. Simply inquire, "To whom do these thoughts come? They come to me. I think these thoughts. Then "Who am I?" Who am I simply means, what is the Source of the 'I'? From whence does the 'I' arise? You follow the 'I' back to the Source, which is the Heart center. And one day, the 'I' will disappear, and you will be totally liberated.
Sri Robert Adams

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5509 on: October 30, 2018, 12:47:58 PM »
Quote from my previous post:
"Never try to stop the thoughts. If you try to stop the thoughts, they will become bigger and greater, and they will win. Because the mind appears to be very powerful. Yet in reality, the mind does not exist. There is no mind. There is no such thing as a mind. So when you sit in the Silence, you observe, you watch, you become the witness, you can do many things. You can watch your breath by practicing vipassana meditation, watch the feelings in your body, observe the breathing. Yet the better way is to still inquire, "Who am I?" You never answer that question. You just ask the question and keep still. When you keep still, thoughts will come into your mind. Simply inquire, "To whom do these thoughts come? They come to me. I think these thoughts. Then "Who am I?" Who am I simply means, what is the Source of the 'I'? From whence does the 'I' arise? You follow the 'I' back to the Source, which is the Heart center. And one day, the 'I' will disappear, and you will be totally liberated.
Sri Robert Adams"

Dear Devotees,

The question 'Who am I?' has no answer. Any verbal answer and attempt to define who we truly are by way of thinking or thoughts will limit the infinite, real Self. Any answer can only be mental, and no experience can ever answer it, for the Self is beyond experience. So, the right way is to just only ask the question 'Who Am I?' and keep silent and still. Our innermost sense of the Self, 'I Am', is inseparable from the stillness.

The question 'Who Am I?' has no answer in the reflected or the objective consciousness. Therefore, when the existential and ultimate question is raised followed by stillness, it helps to go beyond the reflected consciousness, consisting of names and forms, to the awareness of the Pure Consciousness 'I Am' or the Witness, and thus the steadfast practice, with love and longing, culminates in the realization of the Self or the Swarupa.

Anil
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 12:51:32 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5510 on: October 31, 2018, 09:17:06 AM »
Question: How will the mind become quiescent?

The mind will only subside by means of the enquiry 'Who am I?' The thought 'Who am I?', destroying all other thoughts, will itself be finally destroyed like the stick used for stirring the funeral pyre.

Question: What is the means for constantly holding on to the thought 'Who am I?' And what is jnana drishti?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: If other thoughts arise, one should, without attempting to complete them, enquire, 'To whom did they occur?' What does it matter if ever so many thoughts arise? At the very moment that each thought rises, if one vigilantly enquires ?To whom did this appear?? it will be known 'To me'. If one then enquires 'Who am I?' the mind will turn back to its source and the thought that had arisen will also subside. By repeatedly practising in this way, the mind will increasingly acquire the power to abide at its source. When the mind, which is subtle, is externalised via the brain and the sense organs, names and forms, which are material, appear. When it abides in the Heart, names and forms disappear. Keeping the mind in the Heart, not allowing it to go out, is called 'facing the Self' or 'facing inwards'. Allowing it to go out from the Heart is termed 'facing outwards' When the mind abides in the Heart in this way, the 'I', the root of all thoughts, [vanishes]. Having vanished, the ever-existing Self alone will shine. The state where not even the slightest trace of the thought 'I' remains is alone swarupa [one's real nature]. This alone is called mauna [silence]. Being still in this way can alone be called jnana drishti [seeing through true knowledge]. Making the mind subside into the Self is 'being still'. On the other hand, knowing the thoughts of others, knowing the three times [past present and future] and knowing events in distant places --these can never be jnana drishti.
Source: Who Am I?

Dear devotees, Sri David Godman has informed us that the word Swarupa is a key word in the text of 'Who Am I?' the answers of which were written in the sand in 1901. Sri Bhagwan has repeatedly used the word to indicate the Self in the Text. Literally, the Swarupa means 'one's real nature' or 'one's real form'. Each time the phrase 'one's real nature' appears in this text, it is a translation of Swarupa. Sri Bhagavan's repeated use of the word as a synonym for the Self has been made deliberately to indicate that the Self is not something alien, something faraway that is to be reached or attained. Rather, it is what one really is, and what one always has been.
Anil

« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 12:35:21 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5511 on: October 31, 2018, 01:07:06 PM »
Sri Nisaragadatta Maharaj: Of course. All I can say truly is: 'I am', all else is inference. But the inference has become a habit. Destroy all habits of thinking and seeing. The sense 'I am' is the manifestation of a deeper cause, which you may call self, God, reality or by any other name. The 'I am' is in the world; but it is the key which can open the door out of the world. The moon dancing on the water is seen in the water, but it is caused by the moon in the sky and not by the water.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5512 on: November 01, 2018, 08:33:03 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: The Self, one's real nature, alone exists and is real. The world, the soul and God are superimpositions on it like [the illusory appearance of] silver in mother-of-pearl. These three appear and disappear simultaneously. Self itself is the world; Self itself is the 'I'; Self itself is God; all is Siva, the Self.

Dear devotees, in the first three lines of the above paragarph, Sri Bhagwan has taught,  in effect, that the world, the soul and God are illusory appearances. However, later in the next line says that all three, that is, the world, and the individual soul and God are the Self, and therefore real. This should be seen as a paradox rather than a contradiction. The following answer clarifies Sri Bhagavan's views:

Sri Bhagwan: Sankara was criticised for his views on maya [illusion] without understanding him. He said that (1) Brahman [the Self] is real (2) the universe is unreal, and (3) Brahman is the universe. He did not stop at the second because the third explains the other two. It signifies that the universe is real if perceived as the Self and unreal if perceived as apart from the Self. Hence maya and reality are one and the same.

Dear devotees, the seeing of names and forms in fact is a gross misperception because the Self is the one Reality, nothing whatsoever else exists in it. Therefore, if a world of names and forms is seen, it must necessarily, imperatively be an illusory one. Sri Bhagwan explains this in verse 49 of Guru Vachaka Kovai thus:

Just as fire is obscured by smoke, the shining light of consciousness is obscured by the assemblage of names and forms. When, by compassionate divine Grace, the mind becomes clear, the nature of the world will be known to be not illusory forms, but only the reality (V.49 GVK)

Anil
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 08:35:17 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5513 on: November 01, 2018, 01:15:44 PM »
What is the I-thought? I keep calling it the I-thought. It's a thought. There is no I. This gives you a clue. It makes you happy. For you realize you've got nothing to fight. As a matter of fact, some people just become still and they say nothing else. In other words, when you realize the 'I' is a thought you become still, and the 'I' will immediately disappear. There will be no thoughts. You will feel wonderful.
Sri Robert Adams

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5514 on: November 02, 2018, 12:18:48 PM »
Dear devotees, Sri Sadhu Om was one of the foremost disciples of Bhagwan Sri Ramana. He was endowed with rare gift of elucidation, and had brilliant insight into Sri Bhagwan's Teaching of the Path of Self-inquiry, which enabled him to elucidate His teaching in a clear and simple yet profound manner. His magnum opus 'The Path of Sri Ramana, Part One' is a wonderful exposition of the Path of Self-inquiry which could easily be understood and followed in practice by all seekers of Truth or Knowledge. Initially, it was, in fact, Sri Sadhu Om's writing and composition which helped me internalize and assimilate Sri Bhagwan's Teaching and removed residual doubt that remained even after being a recipient of His Grace munificently. So, it occurred to me that I should post some verses titled 'Doubt the Doubter!' from his composition called 'Sadhanai Saram'.

Doubt the Doubter !
1. An apt reply to the doubts that have come, or a state in which doubts do not come -- which do you prefer? The wise will only recommend becoming pure knowledge (jnana), in which there is no room for doubts to rise !

2. Even if the doubt which has once come is cleared by an apt reply, again another will spring forth in your mind. If you like not to have such a nuisance again, enquire within 'Whence does this doubt rise?'

3. Doubts can rise only about the existence of things other than oneself; no doubt can rise about the existence of oneself, If one's existence is mistaken to be the body's existence, then doubts will rise about the world and God (which come into existence only when the wrong, identification 'I am the body' rises); if one's existence is known to be Self, the sale existence, no doubt will rise !

4. Before the doubt 'Am I this body or something else?' is cleared, why should one-raise doubts about other things (such as the world and God)? Know that the only question (doubt) allowed for true aspirants is to enquire within 'Who am I?'.

5. Whatever doubt may rise, it cannot rise without the rising of you --the first to have risen --who raised it. Therefore the primal doubt, namely that of not knowing who you are, is the root of all doubts !

6. Until this primal doubt is cleared, replying to your other doubts will be just like cutting the leaves off the branches of a tree, because they will sprout again and again! But if the root is cut, they will not sprout again!

7. Doubts about the reality of the world and God rise only because of one's defect of not knowing the reality of one-self. When one's reality shines as Self, without another, what doubt can rise?

8. Doubts do not rise during sleep. When sleep ends, someone, as if you, rises from there. This 'you' who is now here (in the waking state) is the doubter. He did not exist in sleep, but you did exist there. Therefore, you (who exist even in sleep) are not the doubter !

9. It is only in the waking and dream states that the doubter exists; he ceases to exist in sleep. Did you who existed then (in sleep) have any doubts? You who exist (even in sleep) are That (Brahman or Self).

10. The doubter's existence itself is doubtful; but your existence is the undoubtable, absolute existence! He who rises as 'I am the body' is the doubter; but you are the Space of Jnana; what other thing is there for you to know?

11. This is the reason why the Gracious Lord Ramana, Jnana incarnate, who took me as His own, replied to many of the questions of His sincere disciples, "Doubt 'Who is the doubter who asks these questions?"'

Source: Sadhanai Saram, Sri Sadhu Om Swamigal
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 12:31:57 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5515 on: November 02, 2018, 03:08:00 PM »
Know who you are. Understand your true nature. Practice Self-inquiry. Be yourself. Awaken to your true Self. Yet most people cannot do this because they're so involved in the world, that this maya keeps them from seeking themselves as God, as Absolute Reality. And it is difficult for most people to do this. There has to be a way for the average person to come up to the point where they can practice Self-inquiry.
Sri Robert Adams

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5516 on: November 03, 2018, 08:24:50 AM »
Q: You talk of being. Being what ?
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Your duty is to be and not to be this or that. `I am that I am' sums up the whole truth. The method is summed up in the words `Be still'. What does stillness mean? It means destroy yourself. Because any form or shape is the cause of trouble. Give up the notion that `I am so and so'. All that is required to realize the Self is to be still. What can be easier than that ? Hence atmavidya (Self-knowledge] is the easiest to attain.

Dear devotees,
"I  AM  WHO  I  AM,  OR  I  AM  THAT  I  AM"

'I  AM'  is  the whole Truth.

'I  AM'  IS  THE  SELF  OR  GOD. 

Moses said to God, "If I come to the people of Israel and say to them, 'God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is His Name?' what shall I say to them?"
God said to Moses, "I  AM  WHO  I  AM."
God said to Moses, "Say this to the people of Israel, 'I  AM'  has sent me to you."
Source: Exodus: 3.13-15   

Dear devotees, God says to Moses that 'I Am' is His Name for ever, and thus 'I Am' is to be remembered throughout all generations, for, 'I AM' alone   is His Name.

Anil

« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 08:28:17 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5517 on: November 04, 2018, 10:34:07 AM »
Questioner: I have just arrived from Sri Ramanashram. I have spent seven months there.
Sri Nisaragadatta Maharaj: What practice were you following at the Ashram?
Q: As far as I could, I concentrated on the 'Who am l'?
Sri Maharaj: Which way were you doing it? Verbally?
Q: In my free moments during the course of the day. Sometimes I was murmuring to myself 'Who am l?' 'I am, but who am l?' Or, I did it mentally. Occasionally I would have some nice feeling, or get into moods of quiet happiness. On the whole I was trying to be quiet and receptive, rather than
labouring for experiences.
Sri Maharaj: What were you actually experiencing when you were in the right mood?
Q: A sense of inner stillness, peace and silence.
Sri Maharaj: Did you notice yourself becoming unconscious?
Q: Yes, occasionally and for a very short time. Otherwise I was just quiet, inwardly and outwardly.
Sri Maharaj: What kind of quiet was it? Something akin to deep sleep, yet conscious all the same. A sort of wakeful sleep?
Q: Yes. Alertly asleep. (jagrit-sushupti).
Sri Maharaj: The main thing is to be free of negative emotions -- desire, fear etc., the 'six enemies' of the mind. Once the mind is free of them, the rest will come easily. Just as cloth kept in soap water will become clean, so will the mind get purified in the stream of pure feeling. When you sit quiet and watch yourself, all kinds of things may come to the surface. Do nothing about them, don't react to them; as they have come so will they go, by themselves. All that matters is mindfulness, total awareness of oneself or rather, of one's mind.
Q: By 'oneself' do you mean the daily self?
Sri Maharaj: Yes, the person, which alone is objectively observable. The observer is beyond observation. What is observable is not the real self.

Dear devotees, experiencing inner stillness, peace and silence while remaining conscious implies that the aspirant has already got rid of much of the negativity, and if the supremely beneficial practice of asking 'Who Am I?' and keeping the mind in the pure feeling of 'I Am', that is, in the steady awareness of oneself, will certainly dissolve the residual negativity entrenched as vasanas or predispositions in some dark corner of our being.

Anil

« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 10:45:41 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5518 on: November 05, 2018, 08:49:05 AM »
Question: Is self-realisation so important?

Sri Nisaragadatta Maharaj: Without it you will be consumed by desires and fears, repeating themselves meaninglessly in endless suffering. Most of the people do not know that there can be an end to pain. But once they have heard the good news, obviously going beyond all strife and struggle is the most urgent task that can be. You know that you can be free and now it is up to you. Either you remain forever hungry and thirsty, longing, searching, grabbing, holding, ever losing and sorrowing, or go out whole-heartedly in search of the state of timeless perfection to which nothing can be added, from which nothing -- taken away. In it all desires and fears are absent, not because they were given up, but because they have lost their meaning.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5519 on: November 05, 2018, 12:04:15 PM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana:

There was never a time when the Supreme Being was unknown or unrealized, because He is one and identical with the Self. His grace or anugraha is the same as the conscious immediacy of His Divine Presence, Prasannata, or in other words, Enlightenment or Revelation. One's ignorance of this self-revealing immediacy of Divine Grace is no proof to the contrary. If the owl does not see the sun that illumines the whole world, is that the fault of the sun? Is it not due to the misdirection of the bird's sight?
Similarly, if the ignorant man is unaware of the ever-luminous Atman or Self, can that be attributed to the nature of the Atman itself? Is it not the result of his own ignorance? The Supreme Lord is eternal grace. Therefore, there is really no such individual act as bestowing Grace. And, being ever present, the manifestation of Grace is not confined to any particular period or occasion. Turning to God and desiring His grace is itself Grace.

Dear devotees, the sun is there in the firmament and is shining bright, and we are surrounded and immersed in the sunlight. Are we not? Yet, if we would know the sun, we must turn our attention towards it. Similarly, whatever is happening is happening in, of and by the Self. There is nothing but the Self, which is synonymous with the Grace. Therefore, Sri Bhagwan has taught that the Grace or the Self will be found by the effort to turn towards It although It is here and now.
And how do we turn towards It? Sri Bhagwan has taught that the Self-knowledge is very easy. We are not the body, we are not the mind, we are not the perceptions, nor are we the experiences whatsoever they may be. In short, we are not the content of the Consciousness, we are not the content of our Life. We are Consciousness. We are the Life itself for the Self is the only Life. 'I Am' is the space of consciousness in which all things happen. And 'I Am' is Now which includes 'here' as well. Therefore, all we have to do is to keep always turning towards the sense 'I Am, Now', staying with it for as long as we can, without adding anything to it. Sri Bhagwan has taught that holding 'I Am' with effort is the practice, the sadhana, and when it becomes effortless, It is the Self-realization.
Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 12:06:58 PM by eranilkumarsinha »