Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 969114 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5490 on: October 18, 2018, 01:06:24 PM »
Dear devotees, what follows is one of the most wonderful reminiscences, written by one of Sri Bhagwan's devotees, that I have ever read. Please go through it, for it is indeed His Grace that we keep on receiving His Guidance and Blessing on the path through such profound conversations and reminiscences, which further strengthen our resolve to go till the very end. Besides, we also obtain spiritual nourishment through these which sustain us in our pursuit of the Goal.   

Reminiscences of Ramana Maharshi -- Mercedes de Acosta:

Mercedes de Acosta, a Spanish American who came to Sri Ramana in 1938, was a Hollywood socialite and scriptwriter for films. Long after meeting Sri Ramana she wrote the book Here Lies the Heart, which was dedicated to: Thou Spiritual Guide -Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi, the only completely egoless, world detached and pure being, I have ever known.
A Search in Secret India by Paul Brunton had a profound influence on me. In it I learned for the first time about Ramana Maharshi, a great Indian saint and sage. It was as though some emanation of this saint was projected out of the book to me. For days and nights after reading about him I could not think of anything else. I became, as it were, possessed by him. I could not even talk of anything else. Nothing could distract me from the idea that I must go and meet this saint. The whole direction of my life turned towards India. I felt that I would surely go there.
I had very little money, far too little to risk going to India, but something pushed me towards my goal. I went to the steamship company and booked myself one of the cheapest cabins on the S.S.Victoria.
In Madras I hired a car, and so anxious was I to reach the Ashram that I did not go to bed and traveled by night, arriving about seven O'clock in the morning. I was very tired as I got out of the car in a small square in front of the Arunachaleswara Temple. The driver explained he could take me no further. I turned towards the Ashram in the hot sun along the two miles of dust-covered road to reach the abode of the Sage. As I walked that distance, deeply within myself I knew that I was moving towards the greatest experience of my life.
When I first entered the hall, I perceived Bhagavan at once, sitting in the Buddha posture on his couch in the corner. At the same moment I felt overcome by some strong power in the hall, as if an invisible wind was pushing violently against me. For a moment I felt dizzy. Then I recovered myself. To my great surprise I suddenly heard an American voice calling out to me, "Hello, come in." It was the voice of an American named Guy Hague, who had already been with the Maharshi for a year. He came towards me, took my hand, leading me to a place beside him. I was able to look around the hall, but my gaze was drawn to Bhagavan, who was sitting absolutely straight looking directly in front of him.
His eyes did not blink or move. Because they seemed so full of light I had the impression they were grey. I learned later that they were brown, although there have been various opinions as to the colour of his eyes. His body was naked except for a loincloth. As he sat there he seemed like a statue, and yet something extraordinary emanated from him. I had a feeling that on some invisible level I was receiving spiritual shocks from him, although his gaze was not directed towards me. He did not seem to be looking at anything, and yet I felt he could see and was conscious of the whole world. Hague whispered, "Bhagavan is in samadhi."
After I had been sitting for sometime, Hague suggested that I go and sit near the Maharshi. He said, "You can never tell when Bhagavan will come out of samadhi. When he does, I am sure he will be pleased to see you."
I moved near Bhagavan, sitting at his feet and facing him. Not long after this Bhagavan opened his eyes. He moved his head and looked directly down at me, his eyes looking into mine. It would be impossible to describe that moment and I am not going to attempt it. I can only say that at that time I felt my inner being raised to a new level -- as if, suddenly, my state of consciousness was lifted to a much higher degree. Perhaps in that split second I was no longer my human self but the Self. Then Bhagavan smiled at me. It seemed to me that I had never before known what a smile was. I said, "I have come a long way to see you."
There was silence. I had stupidly brought a piece of paper on which I had written a number of questions I wanted to ask. I fumbled for it in my pocket, but the questions were already answered by merely being in his presence. There was no need for questions or answers. Nevertheless, I asked, "Tell me, whom shall I follow -- what shall I follow? I have been trying to find this out for years." Again there was silence. After a few minutes, which seemed to me a long time, he spoke, "You are not telling the truth. You are just using words -- just talking. You know perfectly well whom to follow. Why do you need me to confirm it?" "You mean I should follow my inner self?" I asked. His response was, "I don't know anything about your inner self. You should follow the Self. There is nothing or no one else to follow."
I asked again, "What about religions, teachers, gurus?" He said, "Yes, if they can help in the quest for the Self. Can a religion, which teaches you to look outside yourself, which promises a heaven and a reward outside yourself, be of help to you? It is only by diving deep into the spiritual Heart that one can find the Self." He placed his right hand on his right breast and continued, "Here lies the Heart, the dynamic, spiritual Heart. It is called hridaya and is located on the right side of the chest and is clearly visible to the inner eye of an adept on the spiritual path. Through meditation you can learn to find the Self in the cave of this Heart."
I said, "Bhagavan, you say that I am to take up the search for the Self by atma vichara, asking myself the question 'Who Am I?' May I ask who are you?" Bhagavan answered, "When you know the Self, the 'I', 'You', 'He', and 'She' disappear. They merge together in pure Consciousness."
To write about my experience with Bhagavan, to recapture and record all that he said, or all that his silences implied is trying to put the infinite into an egg cup. On me he had, and still has, a profound influence. I feel it presumptuous to say he changed my life. My life was perhaps not so important as all that. But I definitely saw life differently after I had been in his presence, a presence that just by merely 'being' was sufficient spiritual nourishment for a lifetime.

Anil
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 01:16:53 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5491 on: October 19, 2018, 12:42:26 PM »
"Awaken, be free, be yourself. You are the joy of the world. The light that shines in darkness. You are a blessing to the universe. Love yourself always. When you love yourself, you love God. Forget about the past. Never dwell on the past. Remember, time and space does not exist. If time and space does not exist, then there cannot be a past or a future. For the past and the future is about space and time. And if there is no time and space, there cannot possibly be a past or a future. So who thinks about the past? Who thinks about the future? Even to say the 'I' does, the I-thought does, this again is mostly for beginners. Self-inquiry is very important, don't get me wrong. But the day has to come when you go beyond Self-inquiry. When you just realize and understand that there is no I-thought at all. It never existed. Therefore you do not have to get rid of it. There is nothing to get rid of, because nothing exists. You are total freedom, right this instant, right this minute."
Sri Robert Adams

Dear Devotees,

Self-inquiry is very important because it is the Self-inquiry the earnest and sincere practice of which reveals beyond an iota of doubt that the ego-mind-body complex is illusory and non-existent and what exists is the Self alone. It is then only that one understands that indeed everything, everything is an emanation of our own mind. Then only one can absorb the Teaching that it is folly to try to improve ourselves and situations in the world because everything is preordained, and the only freedom we have is not to react to persons and situations, go within and realize the Self. This, Sri Bhagwan has enjoined, is the only freedom we have.  This strong conviction  is obtained through Inquiry.  And once the falsity of the ego mind begins to dawn, it becomes easy to just be, to be still, because then there is no need to understand as to how to just be. There is no longer any need to understand it intellectually, to analyse it, to ponder over it. One knows within, with perfect clarity, what it means to just be, or be still.   

When there is no time, no space, no past, no future, then what it is that remains? It is "I AM, NOW".

Anil
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 12:53:41 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5492 on: October 20, 2018, 10:02:18 AM »
Dear devotees, what follows is wonderful delineation of Sri Bhagwan's Path of the Self-enquiry or the Atma-vichara by His Self-realized, Direct Disciple, Sri Robert Adams. Recently I read the book 'Silence of the Heart' and was deeply moved to see the beauty and profundity with which he has dealt with the Path which came direct from the state of his Realization, but nevertheless, is same as Sri Bhagwan's Teaching. Please go through it, for it has the power to snap the mind's resistance to awakening and enable to go all the way till the very end. 

Sri Robert Adams:

To do affirmations, mantras, yoga exercises and so forth, will not awaken you. You start from the beginning. You simply admit to yourself that you exist. This is the truth. You do exist, don't you? So you say to yourself, "I exist. I know that for sure. I exist. I exist. That's all I know. I'm ignorant of everything else, but I do know that I exist, because here I am." And, as you keep saying this to yourself, "I exist," you begin to put more space between the "I" and "exist." "I...exist."

If you're doing this correctly, you'll soon find that "I" and "exist" are two separate words. In other words, you'll come to the conclusion that you exist as I. You'll have to ask yourself, ponder, "Who is this I that exists? What is I?" You never answer. It will come to you of its own accord. When you sleep and you awaken, you say, "I slept." When you dream you say, "I had a dream." And when you're awake, of course, you say, "I am awake." But that I is always there. You start to inquire within yourself, "What is this 'I' that exists at all times? It exists when I'm asleep, when I'm awake, when I dream. Who is this 'I'?" And now the inquiry starts. "Where does this 'I' come from? From whence cometh the 'I'?" You ask yourself. The answers are within yourself. And you keep asking yourself, over, and over, and over, and over again, "From whence cometh the 'I'? Where does the 'I' come from?" Or, again, "From whence cometh the 'I'? Where does the 'I' come from?" Or, "Who am I?" And you wait a little while, and you repeat the same question, "Where does the 'I' come from?"

While you're doing that, you follow the "I" deep, deep, within. You keep following the "I." You go deeper and deeper into the "I." Where does this 'I' come from? Who is this 'I'? Whatever answer comes to you is the wrong answer. Do not accept it, but do not deny it. You simply put it aside. And you continue with the Self-inquiry. "Who am I?" And you wait. And you ask again, "Who am I?" It is not a mantra. "Where did the 'I' come from? How did it get there? Who gave it birth? What is the source of the T?" You continue to abide in the "I."

As you continue this process, someday something will happen. To some people it comes like an explosion within where all your thoughts are wiped away. For you see, "I" is the first pronoun, and every thought that you have in the world, is attached to the "I." It is secondary. Think about that. Whatever you have to say about yourself has "I" in it. Everything in the world is about yourself. "I" am going to the movies. "I" am going bowling. "I" feel like crying. "I" feel terrible. "I" feel wonderful. "I" feel sick. "I" feel well. There's always an "I," "I," "I." What is this "I," and what is it all about? Everything is attached to the "I." Subsequently, when the "I" is wiped out, everything else is wiped out, and the troubles are over. All thoughts go with the "I."

Now, there's no answer to "Who am I?" When you get to the answer there will be emptiness, a void. You will be of the unborn. But it is not a void like you think. It is not emptiness like you think. For want of a better word you can call it Godliness, Nirvana, Sat-Chit-Ananda, Bliss Consciousness, Absolute Reality. It doesn't matter what name you give it. You will become That, and there will be no explanation. You will just become That, and you will feel a profound peace that you have never felt before. You will feel a bliss that is unqualified. You will try to explain it to yourself and to your friends, but you cannot. For the finite cannot comprehend the Infinite. There are no words.

That's the method you use. Self-inquiry. You follow the 'I' - thought to its source. How long does it take? It depends on yourself, how sincere you are, what else you're doing with your life. If you're using this like you do everything else?for instance if you say, Well today I'm going to practice the I-thought, then I'm going to go to a movie, then I'm going to go bowling, then I'm going to watch TV, then tomorrow I'll do the same thing," of course, what's going to happen in a case like that? Very little. But if you put your energy into it, and you practice it every chance you get, and you put this first in your life, you will see amazing results. Amazing results. But you have to put it first in your life.

Pranam,
 Anil

« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 10:30:25 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5493 on: October 21, 2018, 01:35:49 PM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi:

Effortless and choice-less awareness is our real nature. If we can attain that state and abide, that is all right. But one cannot reach it without effort, the effort of deliberation or meditation, whether it be upon Self inquiry, surrender or both. All the age-old vasanas (inherent tendencies) turn the mind outward to external objects. All such thoughts must be given up, the mind turned inwards. That, for most people, requires effort. Every teacher and every scripture tells the aspirant to keep quiet, but it is not so easy to do.
That is why all this effort is necessary. Even if we find somebody who has achieved this supreme state of stillness without seeming effort, you may take it that the necessary effort had already been made in a previous life. So effortless and choice-less awareness is attained only after deliberate meditation. That meditation can take whatever form that most appeals to you. See what helps you to be free of thought and adopt that for your meditation.
Bliss will ensue if you keep still, but however much you tell your mind this truth, it will not keep still. It is the ego-mind that tells itself to be still in order for it to attain bliss, but it will not do it. Though all the scriptures have said it and though we hear it daily from the great ones and even from our Guru, we are never quiet, always straying into the world of Maya (illusion) and sense objects. That is why conscious, deliberate effort is needed to attain that effortless state of stillness.
Indeed, until the supreme, effortless state is attained, it is impossible for a man not to make effort. His own nature compels him to, just as Sri Krishna in the Bhagavad Gita told Arjuna that his own nature would compel him to fight.
If you can keep still without engaging in any other pursuits, well and good. But for so long as you are obliged to be active, do not give up the attempt to realize the Self. Often glimpses of Realization are attained before it becomes permanent, and in all such cases effort remains necessary.
Yet, the belief that you have to make an effort to get rid of this dream of a waking state and attain Realization or real awakening is also a part of the dream. When you attain Realization you will see that there was neither the dream during sleep nor the dream during the waking state, but only yourself and your real nature.

Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5494 on: October 22, 2018, 09:44:45 AM »
Sri V. Ganesan:
N. R. Krishnamurthy Iyer was a brilliant professor of physics. He had studied under Dr. C. V. Raman, the Nobel laureate of international repute. Known as NRK, he would pick a fight with anyone who ignoring the practicalities of life focused only on God and the spiritual side. He had to have a scientific explanation for anything before accepting it. Though a Hindu, he felt that not only was it superstition to prostrate before anyone, it was also degrading oneself. In 1922, NRK came to Tiruvannamalai to meet his sister who stayed there. NRK's brother-in-law Kuppuswamy and his friend T. K. Sunderesa Iyer, who were just leaving to see Bhagavan, told him, "We are both going to Ramana Maharshi. Krishnamurthy, you also come along with us." NRK agreed but on the condition, "Do not expect me to prostrate before the one whom you call the Maharshi." The friends smiled - they knew beyond doubt what was in store.
At that time, Ramanasramam was just a thatched shed built over the Mother's samadhi. The three entered the thatched shed and then something strange happened. Without even being aware of it, the professor found himself flat on the ground, prostrating before the Maharshi. The two friends smiled broadly when they witnessed this, because this was exactly what they had anticipated. For, there is no need to persuade a skeptic to do something; spiritual power itself is potent enough. Bhagavan was totally focusing on NRK. After a few minutes, NRK got up, taken aback by what he had done. He then decided to have a debate with Bhagavan so that he could make amends for his spontaneous act.
NRK narrated to me what happened next: "I asked Bhagavan, 'Seated like this, what is your next state?' My idea was to elicit the reply that the soul survives the dissolution of the body and later gets united with the Self or God. I wanted to have a verbal war with him in order to disprove him. But, it was not to be. Several minutes passed after I raised my question. There was no reply. There was absolute silence as our eyes interlocked in a steady gaze. A thought arose within me: 'Is this man taking shelter in silence to avoid answering an inconvenient question?' At that very moment, Bhagavan's resounding voice rang out, 'You said 'sthiti' (state); what do you mean by 'sthiti'?' This sudden counter question made me feel that I had to answer him. So, I began to think. I did not ask him about the body that will be buried or burned; what I was thinking about was the thinking apparatus inside the body called the mind. It is about this that I had asked. Now, if I said that the question was about the state of the mind then he would ask me to define the mind. I had to have a ready answer to this question. Therefore, within myself, I raised the enquiry, and this of course was because of the power of his look. I could, however, find no answer to the question. My mind was paralyzed; the thinking power was dead. I became helplessly mute. I noticed the fierce glow in Bhagavan's eyes. They locked mine in a tight grip. Then, a radiant smile of triumph spread over the Maharshi's face. I lost all awareness of both the body and the world as the insignificant 'I' in me was swallowed up in the pure awareness of being, in which all names, forms, time and action were utterly lost. It was a state of immense silence, without a beginning or an end, but aglow with the self-effulgent 'I AM'. When I recovered consciousness of my body and its surroundings, with the inner glow still effulgent, there were no more questions to be asked or answered. Revelling in the joy of that defeat, I quickly prostrated and ran out."
""That was the beginning of the end of the 'me'. After having given the experience of spiritual explosion within myself, Bhagavan invited me. He said, 'Come in and have lunch.' It was just a thatched shed, so everything - darshan, food, and sleep - took place there."
Source: Ramana Periya Puranam

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 09:54:03 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5495 on: October 23, 2018, 09:39:42 AM »
"Live in the moment. Can you be unhappy in the moment? The only reason, again, you're unhappy is because you're thinking of some condition or situation you don't like. True. You're thinking about something from the past or you're worried about something that's going to happen in the future. That's the only reason you're sad or unhappy. But if you learn to live in the moment, if you learn to become aware now, how can you possibly be unhappy? Because now is Bliss. Just don't think. Experience now. If you're really not thinking and you're experiencing now, you're in Bliss. Now is Reality. Now is ultimate Oneness. Now is liberation."
Sri Robert Adams

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5496 on: October 24, 2018, 01:40:40 PM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana:
The 'I' of the dream soon vanishes, then another 'I' speaks of the dream. This 'I' was not in the dream. Both the ?I?s are unreal. There is the substratum of the mind which continues all along, giving rise to so many scenes. An 'I' rises forth with every thought and with its disappearance that 'I' disappears too. Many 'I's are born and die every moment. The subsisting mind is the real trouble. That is the thief according to Janaka. Find him out and you will be happy.
Talk No. 49

Dear devotees,

If an 'I' rises with every thought and it disappears with the disappearance of the risen thought, and in this way many 'I's are born and die every moment,  what assailed me till recently was the question of continuity of the sense of the self, i.e., the 'I', that we find the same everyday on waking.  However, I kept enquiring and thus working on myself and then all of a sudden it dawned that indeed with every thought and experience, a thinker or an experiencer rises and it is memory alone that creates the illusion of continuity. Thus, myriad thinkers and experiencers rise and appear in the Self, in 'I Am', each though separate in memory but identical in essence. And the sense of identity, continuity and the sense of self are on account of the common substratum of the mind--common factor 'I Am'--which is the essence and is at the root of all thinker-thought or the experiencer-experience relationships. This timeless and spaceless Essence alone make all the experiences whatsoever possible.
If we remain alert and attentive, we can certainly discern and recognize when the ego-I or the 'I'-thought rises. With recognition it becomes clearer and clearer for scrutiny. And remember that the consciousness that recognizes its emergence is the witnessing consciousness. Therefore, we must attain that state when we are able to recognize every time an 'I' rises, for every time we recognize its emergence it is further weakened, till it finally disappears in the Substratum, that is, the Self.

Pranam,
 Anil 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 01:47:33 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5497 on: October 24, 2018, 10:46:13 PM »
Dear Sri Jewell, yes, this is the way to go as far as the practice of the Enquiry is concerned, and I dwelt on this topic regarding slackness in the Self-attention during the practice of the Inquiry. Yes, if one finds that the intensity of attention has slackened and one is either not able to concentrate on the consciousness 'I Am' or is not able to go deeper within, it is always beneficial to take some rest and relax, and then make fresh attempt to turn Self-ward. If one practices thus, one is certain to gain an increased intensity and depth with each fresh attempt. There is no doubt about it and one can ascertain its efficacy for oneself by practicing in this way.

Dear Sri Anil,

I was out of Serbia for some time,and i am very sorry i could not write earlier.
Yes,this is why i have posted this part of Sri Sadhu Om's book. It is much better to do such fresh attempts because the strain is avoided in this way,and whenever strain is there we are not doing it properly. To do selfenquiry in a relaxed manner is very important.First, because the very practice is more fruitful,since this 'I' tends to disappear,so to say,second,the health and general well being of the body is preserved. Sure,to body should not be given too much importance,but at the same time it should not be neglected before we are ripe to neglect it. I am not sure if this can be understood when written in this way,but what i am trying to say that general balance is needed in all our endeavors.
In selfenquiry itself there is no danger like with some other practices,this is my experience. But often,and mostly when there is strain we are out of selfenquiry,and usually in majority of cases it is mixed up with other aids. But,true motive behind it is the most important thing of all,and the very readiness to do it will show us the right way and where we are making mistake. Like Maharaj loved to say- earnestness is all what matters.

Thank You my dear friend for all beautiful writings!

With love,

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5498 on: October 25, 2018, 10:01:09 AM »
An excerpt from Sri Michael James' book 'The Art of Being':

If we wish to estimate the value of something in a particular currency, we must first know the value of a single unit of that currency. Without knowing the value of the unit 'one', we cannot know the value of any other number. Similarly, we cannot know the truth of the past or the future if we do not know the truth of the present, because the present moment is the one basic unit of time--the sole substance of which all time is formed.
Just as the present moment, 'now', is the central point in the conceptual dimension of time, so the present place, 'here', is the central point in the conceptual dimension of space. Every point in space that we perceive or think of exists only with reference to this present place, the point in space at which we now feel ourself to be.

What determines which point in space and which point in time are experienced as being present? What we experience as the present place, 'here', and the present moment, 'now', is that point in space and time in which we feel ourself to be present. The presence of our consciousness of being, 'I am', is therefore what makes us feel that this place in space is present 'here', and that this point in time is present ?now?.

All definitions of time and place are relative to this fundamental time 'now' and this fundamental place 'here'. The past is the past because it is prior to this present moment, which we call 'now', and the future is the future because it is subsequent to this present moment. Similarly, all definitions of place such as 'near' or 'far', 'there' or 'elsewhere', are relative only to this present place, which we call 'here'. Therefore, since the definition of 'now' and 'here' is that these are the points in time and space in which we always experience ourself to be, all time and space ultimately exists only with reference to our essential, fundamental and ever-present consciousness of our own being, 'I am'.

Because we feel this particular body to be ourself, we feel that the point in space where this body now exists is 'here'. Thus our mind, the limited consciousness that feels 'I am this body', always feels itself to be here and now, in the present place and present moment. Since this limited consciousness 'I am this body', which is the knowing subject or first person, is always experienced as the central point in space, it is not only the 'first person' but also the 'first place'. That is, the first or fundamental place, the central point in space, which we call 'here', is only our own mind, the consciousness that we always feel to be the first person, 'I'. Every other place or point in space exists only with reference to this fundamental place, the ever-present first person.

Because we identify ourself with a particular body, we feel that we move about in space, whereas in fact space moves about in us. That is, because we are not this material body but only consciousness, all space exists only within us, and hence all movement in space occurs only within us. Wherever we appear to go, the present place 'here' goes with us. When we seem to move from one place to another, that other place becomes 'here', that is, it moves into and becomes the central place in our consciousness.

Thus, just as the present moment, 'now', is the static and unchanging moment through which all moments in time pass, so the present place, 'here', is the static and unchanging place through which, near which or far from which all places in space move. Therefore, just as the present moment is the static gateway through which we may pass from the illusion of experiencing ever-changing time to the reality of our ever-unchanging being, so the present place is the static gateway through which we may pass from the illusion of being a body that moves about in space to the reality of our ever-unmoving being.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 10:10:04 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5499 on: October 25, 2018, 01:41:03 PM »
Quote from Sri Jewell:
"In selfenquiry itself there is no danger like with some other practices, this is my experience. But often, and mostly when there is strain we are out of selfenquiry, and usually in majority of cases it is mixed up with other aids. But, true motive behind it is the most important thing of all, and the very readiness to do it will show us the right way and where we are making mistake. Like Maharaj loved to say- earnestness is all what matters."

Dear Sri Jewell, yes, loving the Self and practicing the Self-enquiry is a gentle and persuasive Way, and therefore, it entails no risks and danger. But doing it forcefully such that it causes strain is certainly not the right way to go about the Enquiry. Moreover, it is obvious that when it started to cause strain, it means that one is out of Enquiry, as you said, because then the mind can no longer abide in the 'I Am' which is always in the NOW, because it will move away from the "I Am, Now".

Yes, Self-enquiry is its own guide and the course-correction in case one makes a mistake is ingrained in it.

Dear friend, Sri Jewell, I recently read the Book 'I Am That' and found Sri Maharaj's Teaching almost exactly same as Sri Bhagwan's. Thank you.

Sri Maharaj: Only in the dissolution of the problem in the universal solvents of enquiry and dispassion, can its right solution be found.

Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 01:43:06 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5500 on: October 26, 2018, 12:12:43 PM »
Sri Robert Adams:

Trace the 'I' to the Source:

As you try to understand these things, as you begin to ponder what I'm talking about, you look for a way to remove everything from your mind, to empty the mind. You begin to inquire. To whom do all these thoughts come? To whom does the feeling of humanity come? To whom does this universe come? To whom does the ego come? And you smile to yourself. You keep still.

You will soon realize that everything comes to you. It comes to you. I think these things. I believe this and I believe that. I feel hurt. I feel this way, I feel that way. A new revelation comes to you. "I." You begin to see that the I-thought is the culprit. From the moment you get out of bed in the morning, you begin with the 'I', and it never ends till you fall asleep. Therefore the only peace you ever get is when you are in deep sleep. When you are in deep sleep, the 'I' returns to the Heart, to the Source. There is nothing going on. Nothing happening. At that time you are unconsciously Self-realized.

This is why when you get up in the morning and you say to yourself, "I slept well," you're talking about the 'I'. I slept well. What you really mean to say is, the 'I' wasn't interfering with your life. But as soon as you begin to think, you say, "I am late for work. I have to catch the bus. I have a headache. I have to eat breakfast." And you go on and on with this I, and it never stops. All day long it's I, I, I, I. Think about this. Am I not telling you the truth? You're always thinking about, "I this," and "I that." Till the night time comes again, you go to sleep. And again the 'I' goes back into the Source, into the Heart, and you're at peace once more. Until you wake up and it starts all over again. After doing this for a million years, you get to the stage when you'll ask yourself, "Who am I? What is this I? How did it arise? From whence does it come?" And this is the beginning of wisdom, when you inquire for the Source of the 'I'. You ultimately begin to trace the 'I' to the Source. When you do this finally, when the 'I' is in the Source, it is just like when you're in deep sleep, except that you're conscious. Think about this for a moment.

In deep sleep you have no I, for it has returned to the Source. You're totally happy, but you're unconscious of it. When you attain what we call Self-realization, it means the 'I' has returned to the Source while you're awake. There's nobody left to think. There's no one left to worry, or to fret, or to be unhappy. You have merged with the Infinite, with the All-Pervading Brahman. If you understand this, and you practice this, you will become the happiest person in the world. For on the way to finding the I-Source you begin to feel happier and happier every day. The old thoughts melt away. The old you dissolves. You become free.

You are not meditating on anything. You're simply inquiring about your I-thought. And each step will come by itself. You will not have to think about what I'm going to say next. For instance, as you are working on yourself this way and thoughts come to you, something within you will immediately say, "To whom do these thoughts come?" You're not planning this. You have not rehearsed. And by the way, never rehearse. Never plan what you are going to do in the morning. Unless it's spontaneous it will not work. Remember this: Self-inquiry should be spontaneous. It should not be a drudgery. It should not be something you planned.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #5501 on: October 27, 2018, 05:49:21 AM »
Dear friend, Sri Jewell, I recently read the Book 'I Am That' and found Sri Maharaj's Teaching almost exactly same as Sri Bhagwan's. Thank you.

Sri Maharaj: Only in the dissolution of the problem in the universal solvents of enquiry and dispassion, can its right solution be found.

Dear Sri Anil,

Yes,'I am That' is absolutely wonderful,wonderful book! I would also recommend the books edited by Jean Dunn,great devotee of Maharaj. They are the true pearls of wisdom: Seeds of Consciousness,Consciousness and Absolute,Prior to Consciousness,etc.
What is interesting and amazing is that just now i went through the Seeds of Consciousness,and i have found one dialog which deals with same difficulty as the one i described,with the practice of selfenquiry done at the mind level. Truly wonderful dialogues!

Thank You my dear friend!

With love,

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5502 on: October 27, 2018, 01:05:16 PM »
Sri V. Ganesan:

'I AM' IS THE TRUTH

Recently, a young seeker, who for the first time, had had a brief experience of reality, wrote to me "By some grace, I was able to have a glimpse for a very brief period. It made me look at things, in and around, as they ARE. Now I realize, how in those moments there was no outwardly difference, whatsoever. But I also realized, that the mind then, pretended to create inwardly, as if all forms of differences did exist. Yet, as my attention in the quest was unwavering, I felt a state transcending the mind, in which energy was gathered in a sustained manner. It carried me to the experience of Awareness per se, as you call it. This energy even guided me to moderate my food intake yesterday, though I felt complete fullness of the stomach! This inward spiritual explosion, as you always put it, for the first time in forty four years, enabled me to be Awareness per se! Is this the state that Bhagavan calls the Self, the Heart, the 'I AM'?"
Reality is not an ideal, theoretical state. The very idea that reality can be attained only after long sadhana and at a future date is a mistake. The Truth or reality always exists. And it exists within every being. Sages are those who pay attention constantly to this reality that ever exists as 'I AM' within. Truth is not a newly invented reality for the sage. Therefore, the ignorance of a spiritual seeker refers only to his not paying attention to the Truth that is ever shining within. The moment introspection takes place, Truth reveals itself.

When we turn our attention within, which actually means a moment of total denial of identification with our body and mind, an explosion takes place. Such an explosion need not necessarily result in the kind of colossal transformation that happened to Bhagavan or to Ramakrishna Paramahamsa. It can be on the other hand, a very simple, experiential revelation as quoted above. Such explosions happen to all of us. Unfortunately we do not take notice of it. For us to be aware of such explosions we need to pay full attention, inwardly. Conversely, not paying attention is the only reason why reality doesn't reveal itself. Explosions take place in the core of the Heart revealing the Truth that one is the ever existing reality.

Source: Drops from the Ocean

Dear devotees, Self-enquiry is verily all about attention, alertness, awareness, and clarity. Enquiry is to pay our full and undivided attention to what is the most important in our life--ourSelf--I AM. Attention is like a beam of laser light, i.e., the focused power of consciousness that transmutes everything to itself. Therefore, attention is the key to succeed in the Self-inquiry. Full, unwavering and undivided attention also implies, interest, love and acceptance. Does it not? The more our attention to 'I Am' becomes undivided and fuller, the more oneness or integrity or unity with the Swarupa (Self) or our true nature is experienced and manifested.

Pranam,
  Anil 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 01:15:43 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5503 on: October 27, 2018, 02:24:24 PM »
Quote:
"'I am That' is absolutely wonderful, wonderful book! I would also recommend the books edited by Jean Dunn, great devotee of Maharaj. They are the true pearls of wisdom: Seeds of Consciousness, Consciousness and Absolute, Prior to Consciousness, etc."

Dear Sri Jewell, yes, Sri Maurice Frydman's questions were so incisive and Sri Maharaj's reply to them so profound. However, I am not fully certain whether these questions were indeed framed by Sri Frydman, for his name is mentioned in the book as only the translator.
Yes, after reading such a wonderful spiritual treatise as 'I Am That', I would certainly like to read other important books on Sri Maharaj's Teaching. What a great Teacher of the Direct Path He is!! Are the books you mentioned, such as 'Seeds of Consciousness, Consciousness and Absolute, Prior to Consciousness, etc.' are available for free downloading' If, yes, kindly give me the link. I have seen that some of these books can be purchased from Amazon which I shall eventually certainly do as I obtained a copy of 'I Am That' through Amazon after I read much of it online which I downloaded and saved in my computer with your help. Are there any other books you would like to recommend?   

Quote:
"What is interesting and amazing is that just now i went through the Seeds of Consciousness, and i have found one dialog which deals with same difficulty as the one i described, with the practice of self-enquiry done at the mind level. Truly wonderful dialogues!"

Dear Sri Jewell, unless a cessation in mental activity--thinking--is brought about and thoughts are peripheral and not disruptive, the Enquiry, more or less, is conducted at the mental level, mainly seeking to ward off the thoughts and only occasionally one is able to go deeper and have a taste of being-consciousness and that too is often mixed up with thoughts of objects and forms. In the beginning, it will take some practice before the rogue cow, that is, the mind, is reined in. So, at this stage, it should not be overdone, and should be done gently, persuasively, and with interest and love for the Self. With awareness of being, attention to 'I Am' becomes full and undivided, alert, and can go on for longer periods undistracted and unswervingly, with love and enthusiasm.

Thanks you, dear friend, Sri Jewell.
Pranam,
Anil         

« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 02:29:45 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #5504 on: October 27, 2018, 07:13:42 PM »
Dear Sri Jewell, yes, Sri Maurice Frydman's questions were so incisive and Sri Maharaj's reply to them so profound. However, I am not fully certain whether these questions were indeed framed by Sri Frydman, for his name is mentioned in the book as only the translator.

Dear Sri Anil,

Sri Maurice is someone with whom i am deeply impressed. Such pure and beautiful Soul,and the more i read about Him,more i am amazed. He did so much good and noble things and never cared for fame or anything similar. Here is one interesting page about Maurice which i only read a year ago or less i think. Sri David Godman mentioned somewhere that he is trying to find more material on Sri Maurice. Truly wonderful Soul!
http://www.wisdom2be.com/files/baca6e0470812a9b6d4ad1fa604e58fa-272.html

We ripen when we refuse to drift, when striving ceaselessly become a way of life,
when dispassion born of insight becomes spontaneous.
When the search 'Who Am I?' becomes the only thing that matters,
when we become a mere torch and the flame all important, it will mean that we are ripening fast.
We cannot accelerate that ripening, but we can remove the obstacles of fear and greed,
indolence and fancy, prejudice and pride.

Maurice Frydman, April 1976 The Mountain Path

Regarding the book, there were many visitors who framed the questions,but i think Sri Maurice also framed some of them. I think it can be sensed by His very characteristic style. At least i believe so.

Here are the links for the books i have mentioned. Also,i forgot to mention 'I am Unborn'. This was the first book i have read and it left me completely speechless.

Consciousness and absolute:http://prahlad.org/gallery/nisargadatta/books/Nisargadatta%20Maharaj%20-%20ebook%20-%20Consciousness%20and%20the%20Absolute%20-%20searchable%20PDF.pdf

Seeds of consciousness the wisdom of sri nisargadatta maharaj:http://www.wearesentience.com/uploads/7/2/9/3/7293936/sri_nisargadatta_maharaj_-_seeds_of_consciousness.pdf

Prior to consciousness:http://www.nirgunjohn.com/assets/pdf/Prior-to-Consciousness-Maharaj.pdf

I am unborn :https://www.holybooks.com/wp-content/uploads/I-Am-Unborn-Talks-with-Sri-Nisargadatta-Maharaj.pdf

With love,