Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 954540 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5460 on: September 22, 2018, 02:00:17 PM »
Quote from Sri Ravi:
"By the 'will of Rama' we are doing fine...yes,I have not been posting anything here for sometime now...not because someone has 'offended' my sensibilities and certainly not you!...No brother...perhaps I have shared enough ...perhaps not even that!...There was no inner prompting to do so."

Dear Sri Ravi,

Thanks so much, dear Sri Ravi bhai saheb. I became a little despondent seeing your prolonged absence from the forum, and I thought that, may be, something said here might not have gone down well with you.

So, my will synchronized with Sri Rama's Will and bhai saheb came!   

Quote:
"What is the essence of spiritual sadhana?...Is it not to drop the sense of 'doership' ? Any effort that strengthens the 'doership' and perpetuates it is counterproductive...so,the very first step in awakening is to realize that sadhana is something that gets done (and this is the breeze of Grace that carries one)...
So,the very nature of so called 'Effort'  is quite different than what is understood in worldly parlance...and the paradox is that although effort is called for, effort keeps one off the mark!...until the effort and struggle is transmuted to one of pure yearning and Shraddha...and it is this shraddha that is the very essence of Sadhana...and this yearning and  shraddha arises through the causeless Grace of the Divine...
There is absolutely no new 'insight' that one has to gain ...it is always the same...that only the crying baby gets its milk...yearning and shraddha are the very essence of sadhana and satsangha is the only way to discover this in ourselves."

Yes, I have not missed the profundity of what you have said as above. The idea of 'doership' is concomitant with the 'I am this physical body' idea. So yes, beautifully said bhai saheb: 'any effort or the sadhana that strengthens the 'doership' is counterproductive? and is not helpful.
Dear Sri Ravi, I have always known, even before knowing Him as the Guru-tattva watching and guiding from within, that a sadhana devoid of Shradha, yearning and love is dry and mechanical, and therefore, cannot take one far in the realm of spirituality.

Thanks very much, dear Sri Ravi bhai saheb.
Pranam,
 Anil   

« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 02:04:36 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #5461 on: September 22, 2018, 08:11:48 PM »
Anilbhai,
Thanks for your loving response.
" I became a little despondent seeing your prolonged absence from the forum, and I thought that, may be, something said here might not have gone down well with you.
So, my will synchronized with Sri Rama's Will and bhai saheb came! "

Everything happens by 'the will of Rama' indeed...the 'my will' is also 'will of Rama' only...This is how Sri Ramakrishna puts it:
"Suppose you are cooking rice in a pot, with potato, egg-plant, and other vegetables. After a while the potatoes, eggplant, rice, and the rest begin to jump about in the pot. They seem to say with pride: 'We are moving! We are jumping!' The children see it and think the potatoes, egg-plant, and rice are alive and so they jump that way. But the elders, who know, explain to the children that the vegetables and the rice are not alive; they jump not of themselves, but because of the fire under the pot; if you remove the burning wood from the hearth, then they will move no more. Likewise the pride of man, that he is the doer, springs from ignorance. Men are powerful because of the power of God. All becomes quiet when that burning wood is taken away. The puppets dance well on the stage when pulled by a wire, but they cannot move when the wire snaps".

The Yearning and Shraddha are themselves the sadhana...this is the gist of the previous post...not that sadhana is to be done with yearning and shraddha.This must be familiar ground for you.
Namaskar.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5462 on: September 23, 2018, 01:26:36 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi,
The parables, simple tales and anecdotes that Sri Paramhamsa and Sri Bhagwan narrated to drive home their Message were really wonderful.  Yes, how beautiful! If God-essence is withdrawn, If the Life is withdrawn, we know only too well what happens to the body-mind complex! The body is not allowed to be kept in the house, and even near and dear ones feel that they got polluted by merely touching it. Before coming to Sri Bhagwan I used to wonder as to why the man does what they do, amassing wealth, running after material things, always hankering for more even though they may be possessing an estate. It's all Rama's Will! And Rama's Will alone will maake them see the error of their ways.   

Quote:
"The Yearning and Shraddha are themselves the sadhana...this is the gist of the previous post...not that sadhana is to be done with yearning and shraddha."

Yes, bhai saheb, as I see it now in retrospect, I find that the yearning took me to Sri Bhagwan, and deep Sraddha enabled me to realize His Grace in the heart. And believe me, after coming to Sri Bhagwan, the existential question 'Who really Am I?' arose involuntarily, of its own accord, and I heard its echo deep within, even before I knew much about Him and the Inquiry, for I had read only the small booklet 'Who Am I?' till then.   I have always known myself as a devotee only, rather than a seeker, who pursues his Guru's Teaching invoking His Presence, that is,  seeking to remain as 'I Am' in the Now.

Thanks very much, Dear Sri Ravi bhai saheb, for a very beautiful post.
Pranam,
  Anil 

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 01:31:24 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5463 on: September 24, 2018, 09:09:45 AM »
Don't regard the abidance in the 'I am' as a part-time activity. You must have a life-long commitment to get yourself established in it.
At all times keep moving back to the 'I am', your source, and do not let anything divert or distract you from this.
The 'I am' in its absolute purity is the infinite and formless, so when you abide in it you discover the infinite eye of the Self.
If you can hold on to the knowledge ?I am? at all times, no further practice or initiation will be necessary.
Sri Annamalai Swami

The intensity with which you meditate "I am' will take you to your real Self as there is nothing else other than it.
To constantly mediate 'I am' is the only way. If this is not continuous enough the other part of the mind becomes predominant.
If you become irreversibly established in the 'I am' you will never know ignorance again.
The 'I am' is present in all and not confined only to those who follow this particular teaching and Guru.
Sri Annamalai Swami
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 04:26:04 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #5464 on: September 24, 2018, 11:21:31 PM »
If you can hold on to the knowledge ?I am? at all times, no further practice or initiation will be necessary.
Sri Annamalai Swami

That sums up everything . Thanks for sharing this quote of AS Anij
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 09:00:37 AM by atmavichar100 »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5465 on: September 25, 2018, 12:24:04 PM »
Sri Robert Adams
What we use here sometimes which is a very good beginning is the I-am meditation. You relax your body and you inhale and you say, "I", and you exhale and you say, "am, I-am." You can do this while you're waking, while you're walking, while you're washing dishes, while you're resting. What it does is it makes your mind one pointed, so it'll stop thinking. In other words, you use whatever method you have to, to still your mind. The whole secret is to quiet your mind, to keep it from thinking, to keep it from being active. Your mind is a bunch of waves. You want to stop the waves and you want your mind to become still and the fastest way to do that is by self-inquiry or by observing your thoughts, watching your thoughts, becoming the witness to your thoughts.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5466 on: September 25, 2018, 12:53:23 PM »
Dear Sri Atmavichar, yes, if an aspirant can hold on to the 'KNOWLEDGE 'I AM'' always (duration will increase with practice), indeed nothing more is needed, for can there a be greater Portal, which is always palpable, to the Atma-swarupa or the Being? However, it is worth mention here that 'I Am' is not a thought, or an intellectual construct of  mere two words. It is Knowledge. And therefore we are being asked to be that Knowledge, that is, to be one with the Knowledge 'I Am'. Thank you.

Pranam
 Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5467 on: September 26, 2018, 01:04:27 PM »
Dear Devotees,

Sri Paul Brunton is said to have voiced the fear of many as to what would happen when our separate identity is merged in its source. He asked Sri Bhagwan thus:
Sri Paul Brunton: 'Will a man then become quite unconscious?
Will he become an idiot?'
To which Sri Bhagwan replied thus, 'Not so! On the contrary, he will attain that consciousness which is truly immortal .When this happens, a man has not really lost himself; rather he has found himself.

Source: Maharshi and His message

Dear devotees, living in the mind through ego (egoic mind) is the sign of unconsciousness. Is it not? But when through Enquiry and Grace the separate identity is merged in the Source, what remains is the Pure Consciousness  'I Am', which is indeed truly immortal, and one is That in the same way as when a bubble bursts in the ocean, it is verily the ocean!
Pranam,
 Anil

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #5468 on: September 26, 2018, 11:03:34 PM »

Dear Anil
The following quote of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj is similar to the one given by Sri Annamalai Swamy that you presented here
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5469 on: September 27, 2018, 01:10:46 PM »
One day, Sri Bhagwan and Paul Brunton were seated on a rock on the Hill, silently looking at each other. Brunton asked Him: "What is TRUTH ?" Sri Bhagwan intently looked at Brunton and replied : " NOW ! You are looking at me and I am looking, NOW, at you ! The 'NOW' alone is the TRUTH !" Brunton blurted out : "But, there are two -- you and me...." And, before Brunton could go any further, SRI BHAGAVAN thundered at him : " Brunton ! Look ! The 'I AM', 'NOW' looking at you. The 'I AM' , 'NOW' alone is the TRUTH. Everything else -- including 'you' and 'me' -- are totally untrue ! "
Sri V. Ganesan

Dear Sri Atmavichar, yes, I recently went through the essential aspects of Sri Nisaragadatta Maharaj's Teaching, and I found it same as Sri Bhagwan's, though some may, attaching undue importance to terminologies employed in Sri Maharaj's Teaching, say that it is a little different. Both taught the Direct Path in their own  inimitable manner.

In both Teachings, 'I Am' is the main portal to the Swarup-Jnana.

Asking 'Who Am I?', and holding onto the Consciousness 'I Am', with conscious effort, will certainly culminate in the effortless Knowledge 'I AM', 'NOW'.   'Now', however, still refers to time whereas there in no time in the Consciousness. Therefore, when one, withdrawing attention from the world of names, forms, and concepts, attends to the Knowledge 'I AM', 'NOW', 'NOW' also disappears and what remains is only the Pure Awareness 'I AM'.
Thanks very much for your response, dear Sri Atmavichar.
Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 01:13:17 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5470 on: September 28, 2018, 01:17:05 PM »
It's simplicity itself. There is really nothing intellectual about it. You don't have to know certain words or certain phraseologies. You don't have to memorize certain text. You simply have to remember the I. Abide in the I. That's all you have to do. Abide in the I. Hold on to the I. Everything is attached to the I, your body, the world, the universe. When you discover the source of I, everything else will go with it, into the ocean of bliss. Bliss is a natural outcome of your search. When you stop searching and you calm down, and you put your books away, and you confront yourself and see what you are all about, that will bring it faster than anything else, than you can ever imagine, or ever do.
Sri Robert Adams

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5471 on: September 29, 2018, 01:38:07 PM »
An excerpt from the 'Letters from Sri Ramanasramam':

Do you know how much liberty our brother squirrel has with Bhagavan? Two or three years back, there used to be one very active and mischievous fellow amongst the squirrels. One day it so happened that when he came for food, Bhagavan was reading and otherwise occupied and so delayed a bit in giving him food. That mischievous fellow would not eat anything unless Bhagavan himself held it to his mouth. Perhaps because of his anger at the delay he abruptly bit Bhagavan's finger, but Bhagavan still did not offer him food. Bhagavan was amused and said, "You are a naughty creature! You have bit my finger! I will no longer feed you. Go away!" so saying he stopped feeding the squirrel for some days.

Would that fellow stay quiet? No, he began begging of Bhagavan for forgiveness by crawling hither and thither. Bhagavan put the nuts on the window sill and on the sofa and told him to help himself. But no, he wouldn't even touch them. Bhagavan pretended to be indifferent and not to notice. But he would crawl up to Bhagavan's legs, jump on his body, climb on his shoulders and do ever so many things to attract attention. Then Bhagavan told us all. "Look, this fellow is begging me to forgive him his mischief in biting my finger and to give up my refusal to feed him with my own hands."

He pushed the squirrel away for some days saying, "Naughty creature! Why did you bite my finger? I won't feed you now. That is your punishment. Look, the nuts are there. Eat them all." The squirrel would not give up his obstinacy either. Some days passed and Bhagavan had finally to admit defeat because of his mercy towards devotees. It then occurred to me that it was through pertinacity that devotees attained salvation.

That squirrel did riot stop at that. He gathered together a number of his gang and began building a nest in the roof of the hall exactly above the sofa. They began squeezing into the beam bits of string, coconut fibre and the like. Whenever there was wind, those things used to fall down; so people got angry and began to drive them away. Bhagavan however used to feel very grieved at the thought that there was not sufficient room for the squirrels to build a nest and that the people in the hall were driving them away. We have only to see Bhagavan's face on such occasions to understand the depth of his love and affection for such beings.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 01:40:57 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #5472 on: September 29, 2018, 05:36:00 PM »
Anil

Thanks for sharing the quotes from Sri Robert Adams ( a very ripe devotee of Bhagavan Ramana ) . Recently  got hold of the book "SILENCE OF THE HEART by Robert Adams  ( through amazon.in ) and it is a wonderful book and people on the Direct Path will highly appreciate that book .  He keeps things very simple and always keeps pointing to the source "IAM" .

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5473 on: September 30, 2018, 02:46:30 PM »
"When you begin to think erroneously, you imagine all sorts of things are going to happen to you. You imagine that you'll lose your job, that you'll be bankrupt, you'll get sick, you'll die from disease. You have all kinds of imaginings. This is the only thing that makes you miserable. If you can only learn to look within, if you can only learn to dive deep within yourself and identify with the Self, merge with the Self, I can't begin to tell you the joy you would feel. There is nowhere you have to go. There is no one you really have to meet. There is nothing you have to do. You simply have to be yourself. You are the joy of the world."
Sri Robert Adams

Dear Sri Atmavichar, yes, Sri Robert Adams is a Self-realized, direct disciple of Bhagwan Sri Ramana. I came to know about him only recently. I wonder why I didn't hear about him before.
I also bought the wonderful book 'Silence of the Heart' through Amazon, and it arrived to my destination only a few day ago. Yes, he keeps it very simple indeed! Never mind the mind and remain alert to your true nature as pure awareness 'I am', thus always pointedly dwelling on the essential teaching of the direct path in his famous and popular Satsanga at his home in U.S.A.
Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 02:48:32 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5474 on: October 01, 2018, 12:43:37 PM »
Dear devotees, Sri Paul Brunton was a great writer and he needs no introduction to Sri Bhagwan's devotees. Sri V. Ganesan has described the divine purpose of his coming to Sri Bhagwan thus:

Sri V. Ganeasn:
"His lucid words brought not only many westerners, but also a host of Indian scholars to the Maharshi. Major Chadwick, S. S. Cohen, Maurice Frydman, Dr. Hafiz Syed, Dilip Kumar Roy and many others came to Ramana Maharshi only after reading Paul Brunton?s book. Even the heads of many Indian religious institutions, came to know about the Maharshi only after reading A Search in Secret India. In the Maharshi's poem, Navamanimalai, Necklet of Nine Gems, he reveals that Arunachala gave him the task of spreading the truth of 'I AM' all over the world. How could this happen when he himself would not even move an inch from Arunachala? So, a Paul Brunton had to come to make it known all over the world. Brunton became instantaneously popular. True seekers, who were suffering in many parts of the world, saw the glimmer of light through this book. The emphasis on individually turning one's attention within to experience the truth: That is the secret which influenced both scholars and laymen."

Dear devotees, Sri Brunton was granted a glimpse into the Divine during his very first meeting with Sri Bhagwan itself. He followed Sri Bhagwan's instructions so arduously and steadfastly that he realized the state of perfection or the fullness of Being in the year 1963. Read the account of his illumination in his own words as follows:

Sri Paul Brunton wrote, "My own final illumination happened in 1963. There was this bomb like explosion of consciousness. It came of itself and I realized that the divine had always been with me and in me. The word 'I' was pronounced in me. I saw that it was the only reality. 'I AM' is the foundation of truth and reality of the whole existence. Although I had descended deep into my being and experienced timelessness, I was still able to live in my surface being and experience time. The two experiences went on side by side and I saw my body as a mere shell and all the other people's bodies as shells. I felt like a bird free from all desires and really detached from everything. I was not the body and felt so free of it that I knew I could not die. And that in the real 'I', I would always be able to live for 'I AM' is God. Deep down within my heart, I lived in an everlasting now."

Dear devotees, well, this is a wonderful, consummate and inspiring summing up of one's inner illumination. Is it not?

Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 12:46:42 PM by eranilkumarsinha »