Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 1060942 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5430 on: August 25, 2018, 02:25:07 PM »
"Don't regard the abidance in the 'I am' as a part-time activity. You must have a life-long commitment to get yourself established in it.
At all times keep moving back to the 'I am', your source, and do let anything divert or distract you from this.
The 'I am' in its absolute purity is the infinite and formless, so when you abide in it you discover the infinite eye of the Self.
If you can  hold on to the knowledge 'I am' at all times, no further practice or initiation will be necessary."
Sri  Annamalai Swami.

Dear devotees, "I am so and so" is the ego. "So and so" of the "I am so and so" is the mind rising from the pure and pristine consciousness 'I Am'. Therefore, practice is to stay in the 'I Am' for as long as possible in attempt after attempt. Such abidance obliterates predispositions (vasanas) enabling an aspiran to stay in the pristine and natural state progressively for longer periods until vasanas are totally destroyed and such a one attains perfect Self-Awareness. Since by staying for longer periods destroys predispositions or vasanas are destoryed, entrenched deep or shallow, and such purified mind sees its own real nature, a fully flowered and expanded mind no longer rises and says 'this' anymore and therefore remains at peace with itself, like the clear sky. Hence Sri Annamalai has exhorted devotees and seekers to keep returning back Home, that is, to keep returning back to the 'I Am', our Source, and not to allow anything whatsoever to divert or distract them from this supremely beneficial practice.

Pranam,
 Anil   
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 02:27:37 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5431 on: August 27, 2018, 12:47:22 PM »
Devotee: In what sense is happiness or bliss (ananda) our real nature?

Sri Bhagwan:
Perfect bliss is Brahman.
Perfect peace is of the Self.
That alone exists and is consciousness. That which is called happiness is only the nature of Self; Self is not other than perfect happiness. That which is called happiness alone exists. Knowing that fact and  abiding in the state of Self, enjoy bliss eternally.
If a man thinks that his happiness is due to external causes and his possessions, it is reasonable to conclude that his happiness must increase with the increase of possessions and diminish in proportion to their diminution. Therefore if he is devoid of possessions, his happiness should be nil.
What is the real experience of man?
Does it conform to this view?
In deep sleep man is devoid of possessions, including his own body.
Instead of being unhappy he is quite happy. Everyone desires to sleep soundly. The conclusion is that happiness is inherent in man and is not due to external causes.
One must realize the Self in order
to open the store of unalloyed happiness.

Therefore, dear devotees and seekers, only way to enjoy the happiness perennially and unobstructed is to realize the Self by raising the ultimate question 'Who Am I?', which alone will open the store of unalloyed happiness. There is no other way.

Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 08:32:09 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5432 on: August 28, 2018, 11:57:45 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana:
"Meditation is your true nature now. You call it meditation, because there are other thoughts distracting you. When these thoughts are dispelled, you remain alone, i.e., in the state of meditation free from thoughts; and that is your real nature which you are now attempting to gain by keeping away other thoughts. Such keeping away of other thoughts is now called meditation. When the practice becomes firm, the real nature shows itself as the true meditation."

Dear Devotees,

Sri J. Krishnamurti has also once observed profoundly that meditation is both the means as well as the End. This is indeed a beautiful line. However, why do we wish to meditate at all? Why is it so necessary, imperative? Because dhyana leads to Jnana, because dhyana is prelude to Self-realization. Remember, Holy Gita has taught us 'Atma samstham manah krtva', that is, to fix the mind in the Self or the Atma.  Has it not? But how can we fix the mind in the Self  so long as the mind is assailed by the thought-wave? It is well-nigh impossible to fix the mind in the Self (Atma samstha) as long as it is clouded by the thoughts. Meditation eliminates all thoughts, and when all thoughts are eliminated, the 'manah' (mind) becomes 'Atma samstha' (fixed in the Self).
The great Sage Bhagwan Sri Ramana has taught that meditation, truly speaking, is the Atmanishtha (to be fixed in the Self). But when thoughts cross the mind and an effort is made to eliminate them the effort is usually termed meditation. Nevertheless, Atmanishtha alone is our real nature.

Natural State, that is, remaining as we ever truly are, is the Goal. Meditation facilitates only that. Yet, meditating on anything other than the Self is the indirect method, whereas Vichara or the Enquiry is the direct method though the object of both is the same, that is, Self-realization.

Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 12:03:46 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5433 on: August 29, 2018, 09:56:59 AM »
Never to be heedless of one's own all-perfect, pure Self is the acme of yoga, wisdom, and all other forms of spiritual practice.
Even though the mind wanders restlessly, involved in external matters, and so is forgetful of its own Self, one should remain alert and remember:
'The body is not I. Who am I?'
Enquire in this way, turning the mind
backward to its primal state.
The enquiry 'Who am I?' is the
only method of putting an end to all misery and ushering in supreme Beatitude.

Words of Grace
Bhagvan Sri Ramana Maharishi
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 10:00:03 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5434 on: August 29, 2018, 02:21:36 PM »
Sri V. Ganesan:
The day he understood his realization, he went incognito. The outward symbol of his becoming Self realized was his obscurity. He lived alone - happy to be immersed in the Self all the time. After Bhagavan's mahasamadhi in 1950 and until 1967, many did not even know if Natanananda was still alive. Though he stayed in a cottage in Tiruvannamalai, no one knew where he was. Like most of the old devotees, I too thought that he had passed away.

I had spent seven years in the ashram when suddenly one day my friend Dorab Framji asked me, "Do you know Sadhu Natanananda is alive?" I jumped with joy because I loved his book, Spiritual Instruction. I paid him a visit. He was an austere man with nothing in his room except for a few
loincloths. He blessed me and asked, "What are you doing? Are you practicing Self Enquiry?" I replied, "I am not capable of doing Self Enquiry. I only chant Arunachala Siva, Arunachala Siva." His face was red with rage. I was taken aback because this was my very first meeting with him and I was accustomed to people indulging me whenever they met me. Not Natanananda! He was a stern and serious man. He raged, "What a fool you are! What do you think you have come to Bhagavan for? For what function has he chosen you? It is only to make you like him! Read his Forty Verses on Reality, practice Self Enquiry, be the truth. That is why you have been chosen!" I was stunned in disbelief.

Source: Sri Ramana Periya Puranam

Dear devotees, for one who wishes earnestly to realize and be the Truth that he really is, Self-enquiry is of supreme significance and of utmost importance. Therefore, such a one should read the Scripture of the Atma-vichara, that is, the 'Forty Verses On Reality' and the Enquiry 'Who Am I?' as contained in the small booklet 'Nan Yar', and practice Enquiry sincerely with love, and understand that those who are thus following His Teaching are all chosen. There is no reason whatever to doubt it.

Pranam,
 Anil   
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 02:26:01 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5435 on: August 31, 2018, 01:27:52 PM »
Sri Robert Adams:

"I want to let you in on a little secret. There are no problems. There are no problems. There never were any problems, there are no problems today, and there will never be any problems. Problems just mean that the world isn't turning out the way you want it to. But in truth, there are no problems. Everything is unfolding as it should. Everything is right. You have to forget about yourself and expand your consciousness until you become the whole universe. The Reality in back of the universe is Pure Awareness. It has no problems. And you are That."
"If you identify yourself with body, then there is a problem, because your body always gets into trouble of some kind. But if you learn to forget about your body and your mind, where is here a problem? In other words, leave your body alone. Take just enough care of it. Exercise it a little, feed it right foods, but don't think about it too much. Keep your mind on Reality. Merge your mind with Reality. And you will experience Reality. You will live in a world without problems. The world may appear to have problems to others, but not to you. You will see things differently, from a higher point of view."

Dear devotees, turning our attention towards the Self by 180 degrees from thoughts, desires and sense-perceptions in perfect, unwavering Self-attention is to keep our minds on the Reality, merging our minds with Reality, abiding in the Reality and experiencing only and only the Reality. Then we know that the Consciousness not only expands, but verily we are the Pure Awareness Itself free from all problems whatsoever. Enquiry and Self-attention must go on, come what may, if we are to fulfil the purpose for which we came there in the illusory world and here to the Lotus Feet of Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi.

Pranam,
  Anil     
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 01:29:33 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5436 on: September 01, 2018, 02:19:15 PM »
Sri Paul Brunton:
"In the presence of this Sage one felt security and inward peace. The spiritual radiations which emanated from him were all-penetrating. I learnt to recognise in his person the sublime truths which he taught, while I was no less hushed into reverence by his incredibly sainted atmosphere. He possessed a deific personality which defies description. I might have taken shorthand notes of the discourses of the Sage: I might even print the record of his speech: but the most important part of his utterances, the subtle and silent flavour of spirituality which emanated from him, can never be reported. If, therefore, I burn literary incense before his bust, it is but [a] mere fraction of the tribute I ought to pay him."

"One could not forget that wonderful pregnant smile of his, with its hint of wisdom and peace won from suffering and experience. He was the most understanding man I have ever known; you could be sure always of some words from him that would smooth your way a little, and that word always verified what your deepest feeling told you already."

"The words of this Sage still flame out in my memory like beacon lights. 'I pluck golden fruit from rare meetings with wise men', wrote trans-Atlantic Emerson in his diary, and it is certain that I plucked whole basketfuls during my talks with this man. Our best philosophers of Europe could not hold a candle to him. But the inevitable hour of parting came."

Source: The Maharshi and His Message

Dear devotees, I extracted the above three passages from Sri Paul Brunton's book in order only to say that ever growing number of devotees and seekers of Truth from all over the world are visiting Sri Ramanasramam and other Ashrams in His Name, and are following His Teaching of the Enquiry and Surrender, the two methods He enjoined, because of this veracity, Sri Brunton speaks of. Yes, His holy Words of Grace, undoubtedly verify what our deepest feeling kept whispering intuitively to us already. Other than His magnetic Gaze and mighty Impersonality, it is certainly this resonance of His holy Utterances with our deepest feeling which drew and established us to His Lotus Feet and compelled us to follow His Teaching with love, sincerity and earnestness. Is it not?

Pranam,
 Anil       
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 02:22:36 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5437 on: September 03, 2018, 09:29:36 AM »
Sri Robert Adams:
Sri Ramana Maharshi said to me, "The only spiritual life you need is not to react". To be calm is the greatest asset in the world. When you are perfectly calm, time stops. There is no time, karma stops, samskaras stop. Everything becomes null and void.

Dear devotees, the great Sri Robert Adams of U.S.A. is a direct, Self-realized, living Disciple of Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi.

Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5438 on: September 03, 2018, 09:33:40 AM »
What a liberation to realize that the 'voice in my head' is not who I am! 'Who am I, then?'
The answer is, who you are cannot be defined through thinking or mental labels or definitions, because it's beyond that. It is the very sense of being, or presence, that is there when you become conscious of the present moment. In essence, you and what we call the present moment are, at the deepest level, one.

Sri Eckhart Tolle

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5439 on: September 06, 2018, 01:37:34 PM »
"You should never compare yourself to anybody else. Never mind what gains anybody else is making, see yourself for what you are. Abide in the Self, love your Self, know your Self. Never put yourself down, never condemn yourself. No matter how many mistakes you make, do not condemn yourself. That's what blasphemy is, when you condemn yourself. Because your Self is really God. Therefore you realize, that the ego's been making mistakes, not God."
Sri Robert Adams

Dear devotees, I came to know that when Sri Robert Adams came to Sri Bhagwan, he was already in a very advanced spiritual state. Sri Bhagwan is said to have only instructed him never to react to anything, to any happening in and around, to any gain or loss that he may encounter. Sri Robert Adams imbibed the profound instruction and became Self-aware. He is still in body and teaches 'Who Am I?' enquiry along with the instruction he received from Sri Bhagwan: Never react to anything.

Pranam,
 Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5440 on: September 07, 2018, 12:58:02 PM »
Q: "Is it true that all spiritual practices, as is said, merge into the path of Self-enquiry?"

"Yes," replied Bhagavan, "the enquiry 'Who am I?' is the beginning and the end of the teachings of Vedanta. It is said that only he who has the assets of the four kinds of spiritual practice is fit for Vedantic enquiry. Of the four categories of practice the first is the knowledge of the Self and the non-Self (atma and anatma). That means a knowledge that the Self is eternal (nitya) and that the world is unreal (mithya). How to know this is the question. It is possible to know this by enquiry as to 'Who am I?' and what is the nature of my Self! Usually this procedure is suggested at the beginning of the spiritual practice, but generally it does not carry conviction. So all sorts of other spiritual practices are resorted to and it is only ultimately as a last resort that the practiser takes to Self-enquiry. "
.....................................................................................
"There are a number of rivers, some flow straight, some wind and twist zig-zag, but all of them ultimately become merged in the ocean. In the same way, all paths become merged in the path of Self-enquiry, just as all languages become merged in Silence (mouna). Mouna means continuous speech; it does not mean that it is a vacuum. It is the speech of Self, identifying with the Self. It is Self-luminous. Everything is in the Self. In Tamil Nadu a great person composed and sang a song the purport of which is, 'We are like a screen, and the whole world appears like pictures on it. Silence is full and all-pervading'. Like the saying: om purnamadah purnamidam purnath purnam udachyate-everything appears to be the same for the Realized Soul. Even though he sees something it is as good as his not seeing it."
So saying, Bhagavan was once more silent.

Source: Letters from Sri Ramanasramam

Dear friends and seekers, everyone is the Self, but believes erroneously that he is the body-mind-complex. Therefore, knowing or realizing the Self alone is to truly know oneself. And Sri Bhagwan has driven home that knowing is being. Therefore, it follows that the question ?Who Am I?? quells the thought-wave and confers the knowledge of the Self and not-Self. And when the thought-wave is sufficiently eliminated by the ultimate question and one has started to contact the Awareness ?I Am?, Sri Bhagwan has taught to just be and abide in the ?I Am? or in the sense of ?I Am?. Has He not? And there should be no doubt whatsoever that this abidance most assuredly would culminate in perfect, unbroken Self-awareness, or lead to Self-realization or the Atma-swarupa. Thus, it is again established that the best preparation of the Self-enquiry is the Self-enquiry itself.
Pranam
 Anil   
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 01:02:29 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5441 on: September 08, 2018, 09:07:41 AM »
Q:What is the method of practice?
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: As the Self of a person who tries to attain Self-realization is not different from him and as there is nothing other than or superior to him to be attained by him, Self-realization being only the realization of one's own nature, the seeker of Liberation realizes, without doubts or misconceptions, his real nature by distinguishing the eternal from the transient, and never swerves from his natural state. This is known as the practice of knowledge. This is the enquiry leading to Self-realization.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5442 on: September 08, 2018, 01:34:52 PM »
Q: So, it is not a matter of developping humility or compassion itself, but more recognizing the opposite and what of practicing Budhist loving kindness meditation?

Sri Robert Adams:  Yes, Awareness is your real nature. Loving kindness is yourself. These other things seem to be attached to you but they don't really exist. As you begin to enquire: "To whom do they come?" you will find that they never existed to begin with, and you will be free of them for ever. But if you try to develop them the other way it doesn't work quite as good, for you may develop kindness for a certain problem but when it comes to another problem the kindness won't be there. Therefore you forget about the problem and enquire: "To whom does it come" and when you follow the 'I', then the very thing that is attached to the 'I', the whole thing, will be transcended into nothingness and you will be free.

Q: Let us assume we recognize when the ego rears its head........ Very often we justify our own actions.

Sri Robert Adams: But now that you know, you wont. That's only when you don't know what you are doing here, that you justify your actions. BUT  SINCE  YOU  BEGIN  TO  UNDERSTAND,  YOU'LL  BE  ABLE  TO  CATCH  YOURSELF  MORE  AND  MORE.  Whenever you start to get egoistical, you will nip it at the bud and it will eventually disappear.

Questioner says: I know what you say is true......

Dear devotees, Self is indeed the accessible repoistory of all good qualities?humility, compassion, kindness, goodness, et al. And the Self is Pure Awareness that we are. Therefore, loving kindness including all the good qualities are but ourselves. And to be the loving kindness that we are we must practice Enquiry, go deeper and deeper within, and thus ultimately find out that things other than the Self do not exist at all, and remain as the Awareness, absorbed in the Silence of the Self. 

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 01:37:48 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5443 on: September 10, 2018, 12:24:21 PM »
An excerpt from the 'Letters from Sri Ramanasramam':

Sri Suri Nagamma:
On another occasion an Andhra youth came and said, "Swami having a great desire for moksha (deliverance) and anxious to know the way thereto, I have read all sorts of books on Vedanta. They all describe it, each in a different way. I have also visited a number of learned people and when I asked them, each recommended a different path. I got puzzled and have come to you; please tell me which path to take". 

With a smile on his face, Bhagavan said, "All right, then, go the way you came". We all felt amused at this. The poor young man did not know what to say. He waited until Bhagavan left  the hall and then with a depressed look turned to the others there appealingly, and said: "Gentlemen, I have come a long way with great hope and with no regard for the expenses or discomfort, out of my ardent desire to know the way to moksha; is it fair to tell me to go the way I came. Is this such a huge joke?"

Thereupon one of them said, "No Sir. It is no joke. It is the most appropriate reply to your question. Bhagavan's teaching is that the enquiry, 'Who am I?' is the easiest path to moksha. You asked him which way 'I' should go, and his saying, 'Go the way you came,' meant that if you investigate and pursue the path from which that 'I' came, you will attain moksha."

The voice of a Mahatma indicates the truth even when speaking in a light vein. Thereupon the book, 'Who am I?' was placed in the hands of the young man who felt astonished at the interpretation, and taking Bhagavan's words as upadesa, prostrated himself to Bhagawan and went away.

Bhagavan usually gives us his teachings either in a humorous or a casual way or by way of consolation. During my early days at the Asramam, whenever I felt like going home, I would approach Bhagavan at some time when there were hardly any people present and say, "I want to go home, Bhagavan, but I am afraid of falling back into family muddles." He would reply, "Where is the question of our falling into anything when all comes and falls into us?"

On another occasion, I said, "Swami, I am not yet freed from these bonds." Bhagavan replied, "Let what comes come, let what goes go. Why do you worry?" Yes, if only we could realise what that 'I' is, we should not have all these worries.

Dear devotees, which way should the 'I' go? The Answer is that the ego-I should go Self-ward only to the 'I'-God.  For the 'I' alone casts off the illusion of 'I' and yet remains as 'I'.  For only when we let come what comes our way, and let go what goes away, remaining as the mere Witness, that is, only and only as 'I', then only we know, beyond doubt, that there is no question of our falling into anything, and on the contrary, all comes and falls into us indeed!! We are the Self, or the Atma-swarupa, where shall we go but to OURSELF, which is always available, here and now.

Pranam,
 Anil.   
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 12:31:17 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5444 on: September 11, 2018, 09:43:06 AM »
The Echo You Hear From Your Heart:

A few days after my return to the Ashram, I told Sri Bhagavan of what had happened at Periayur. I said, "People from our Ashram are asked a number of questions on Vedanta when they visit mutts. It will be a reflection on the Ashram if we can't answer such questions. So I asked Krishnananda of Tirukoilur to teach me Vedanta. He said he would teach me as fast as possible in the traditional way if I went to Tirukoilur. I am planning to go to Tirukoilur".

Sri Bhagavan laughed and said, "Now you want to study Vedanta; later Siddhanta, Sanskrit, Disputations, etc., etc. If you learn how to be in your Self, that amounts to learning everything. What Vedanta did I study? If you are in the Self, the echo you hear from your heart will be in tune with everything. That is what is called the 'Divine Voice'."

Immediately I lost all interest in studying Vedanta. I have been able to answer questions by listening to the Voice within. This is due to Sri Bhagavan's Grace.

Sri Bhagavan has said in Atma Vidya:

When you haven't understood yourself,
What's the point of understanding other things?
When you have understood yourself,
What else is there to understand?

Source: Living with the Master, Reminiscences by Sri Kunjuswami