Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 917975 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5400 on: July 22, 2018, 09:03:30 AM »
Why do you think you are a grihastha? Similar thoughts that you are a sannyasin will haunt you, even if you go out as a sannyasin. Whether you continue in the household or renounce it and go to the forest, your mind haunts you. The ego is the source of thought. It creates the body and the world, and it makes you think of being the grihastha. If you renounce, it will only substitute the thought of sannyasa for that of grihastha, and the environment of the forest for that of the household. But the mental obstacles are always there for you. They even increase greatly in the new surroundings. It is no help to change the environment. The one obstacle is the mind; it must be got over whether in the home or in the forest. If you can do it in the forest, why not in the home? Therefore, why change the environment? Your efforts can be made even now, whatever be the environment.
Bhagwan Sri Ramana

Dear Devotees,
Every word that comes from the Holy Lips of Bhagwan Sri Ramana is of the Essence of the Upanishadic Wisdom, of which He is Himself the Supreme Embodiment.
Every one of us knows that the one and only obstacle to the Realization of the Atma-swarupa is the mind, and can be, and therefore, must be got over where we are, that is, whether we are in the home or in the forest. Sri Bhagwan has taught that we are and it is a fact. Is it not? And Enquiry or meditation can be done where we are. Remember, the Enquiry is by 'us', of 'us', and in 'us' only. It cannot be performed outside us. So, we are the Centre of the Enquiry and that is the Heart. Now, if we are the Centre of the Enquiry, it follows that it can be conducted anywhere whether in the home or the forest. Isn't it?
Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 09:05:16 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5401 on: July 24, 2018, 02:17:01 PM »
Sri V. Ganesan:

In that seemingly restless state of standing and sitting, he (Sri Viswanatha Swami) again told me, :Do not pay attention to the body. Listen to what I am saying." This is Viswanatha Swami's message and it has been guiding me very powerfully: "The body is affected, perhaps the mind also. But, the spirit, the Heart, is unaffected, and the Heart is speaking through me. Though there is so much of confusion, turbulence and misery in manifestation, all of that belongs to the realm of the mind only - the ignorant mind split as object and subject. All experiences of life are relative, related to the experiencer who is nothing but a shadow having no intrinsic reality of his own. The reality in every person is the ultimate, pure existence which is the pure state of 'I AM', the awareness-absolute, which does not split into subject and object. It is the only thing that matters. If the ego and all its experiences are dismissed as passing shadows, the ever present, ultimate reality alone will be self-evident. If one even intellectually is convinced of this truth, one will gain detachment and mental peace. We should now and then, stop for a while, stand aloof and experience this immutable and immaculate awareness-absolute, the still 'I AM', which alone matters, which alone is, despite the manifestation of endless variety of experiences. The Buddha, Jesus Christ, Adi Shankara and Bhagavan Ramana are a few standing monuments affirming the reality which is our very own being. The very sight of these pillars of light reminds us of this reality and brings us the peace that passes the mind's understanding. Only the finite mind, the 'me', has to be relinquished to merge and dissolve in the ever-present, infinite reality of 'I AM'. I bless you Ganesan."

I prostrated before him, one of the blessed devotees who came to Arunachala drawn by the Grace of Bhagavan, basked in the sunshine of his Presence, gained Self-Knowledge of 'I AM' and guided earnest aspirants to gain it, by Self-Enquiry. From him I learnt that it is not enough if we just read some books, and get convinced intellectually by the statements in them. I also learnt that we must experience these teachings as states of one's own inner peace and stillness.

Source: Ramana Periya Puranam

Anil
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 02:20:25 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #5402 on: July 25, 2018, 08:05:58 AM »
Thanks Anil for sharing one more Gem from Sri V Ganesan this time through Sri Viswanatha Swami's simple but very powerful teaching which is what the teaching of all the great masters . We just need to verify the truth of that statement from our own life .
I happened to hear a talk of Sri V Ganesan in one of Sri Nochur's talks in Rishikesh and it was around 15 mts and he clearly stated how he was convinced of Bhagavan's teachings by not just reading the books but by being close with devotees of Bhagavan who were living examples of Bhagavan's teachings and many were physically sick and looked very horrible from the out side but they were cheerful and radiated peace as they were always abiding in the source IAM and not being identified with the body and told Ganesan not to worry about their body condition and Sri Ramana Puranam book is a wonderful collection of experiences with such devotees of Bhavagan and other people in that state .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5403 on: July 25, 2018, 12:13:34 PM »
Dear Sri Atmavichar,
Yes, Sri Ramana Periya Puranam is a wonderful work. I have recently read this work with another one named 'Drops from the Ocean', and both these works have been written by Sri Ganesan who has inspired me greatly. Yes, the ever-present, infinite reality 'I Am' alone matters.  If, indeed, we are earnest to realize the Self or the Atma-swarupa, we must practice Direct Path of the Self-enquiry, and whenever we are lost in thoughts we must catch ourselves by the Enquiry, and experience this immutable and immaculate awareness-absolute, the still 'I AM'. With perseverance and love, this practice, Bhagwan Sri Ramana has assured, will culminate in the Realization of the Self or the Atma-swarupa.
Pranam,
  Anil       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5404 on: July 27, 2018, 02:56:34 PM »
                                    ओम  श्री  गुरुवे नमः

Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

Arunachal Shiva, Arunachal Shiva, Arunachal Shiva, Arunachala!

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5405 on: July 29, 2018, 02:22:37 PM »
Sri Robert Adams once asked of Sri Bhagwan thus: What is the easiest way and most effective way to Atma-vichara, Self-enquiry?

Sri Bhagwan: To always be aware consciously in all situations of the 'I Am'.
No matter what you are doing, and no matter where you are, be aware of the 'I Am' in your heart.
This is the most effective practice.

Dear devotees, to be consciously aware in all situations of the 'I Am' is the same as the practice to just be. Thus, when one is attending to, or meditating on only ?being?, that is, one has the knowledge of only 'I Am', shorn of 'so and so', one is at once both the subject who is meditating and the object which is being meditated upon, subject and object merge together. With continued practice, this pristine State of Unity becomes effortless, and the Absolute alone remains.

Pranam,
  Anil     

Nishta

• View Profile
« Reply #5406 on: July 31, 2018, 06:40:21 AM »
Sir,

do you consider Talks with Ramana Maharshi a reliable account of Maharshi's spoken word?
I note that neither D.Godman nor M.James think it reliable.

However, V.Ganesan assures us, on page 211 of Ramana Periya Puranam, that it was verified and approved by Maharshi himself.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5407 on: August 01, 2018, 12:38:44 PM »
Quote from Sri Nishta:
"do you consider Talks with Ramana Maharshi a reliable account of Maharshi's spoken word?
I note that neither D.Godman nor M.James think it reliable."

Dear Sri Nishta,
I do not know what Sri David Godman and Sri M. James think about it, but I regard "Talks" very authentic as well as very reliable indeed, for we cannot doubt the ability and credibility of a devotee of the calibre of Sri Mungala Venkataramiah, now known as Swami Sri Ramananda Saraswati. Besides, I never found any discrepancy in any talk contained in it from His direct written works, such as 'Who Am I?' Enquiry, Upadesa Saram, Ulladu Narpadu, Sri Arunachala Pancharatna, Ashtakam, Marital Garlands of Letters, etc. Yes, if you would ask me, my only advice to devotees who have newly come to the Lotus Feet of Sri Bhagwan is that these 'Talks' will be found to be more useful if devotees study them after they have read and to some extent assimilated His Teaching from His direct, written works as mentioned above, or at least study these 'talks' along with His direct written works.
Yes, these talks must have been verified, and proof corrected and verified since these talks were published in His Life Time, that is, well before His Mahasamadhi. So, why doubt it? 

Dear Sri Nishta, the reason for my belated response is that I came to New Delhi yesterday and I have to stay here for about a month.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 12:41:19 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Nishta

• View Profile
« Reply #5408 on: August 01, 2018, 03:46:18 PM »
...I regard "Talks" very authentic as well as very reliable indeed, for we cannot doubt the ability and credibility of a devotee of the calibre of Sri Mungala Venkataramiah, now known as Swami Sri Ramananda Saraswati. Besides, I never found any discrepancy in any talk contained in it from His direct written works, such as 'Who Am I?' Enquiry, Upadesa Saram, Ulladu Narpadu, Sri Arunachala Pancharatna, Ashtakam, Marital Garlands of Letters, etc.

....Yes, these talks must have been verified, and proof corrected and verified since these talks were published in His Life Time, that is, well before His Mahasamadhi. So, why doubt it? 

Thank you Sir.

I have enjoyed reading Talks however Godman and James suggested that it was never verified or corrected by Maharshi. Consequently I decided not to read Talks. But now I read Ganesan stating that Talks were verified, adding to the confusion.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5409 on: August 03, 2018, 09:24:59 AM »
A devotee named Mr D said to Sri Bhagwan that Karma appealed to him because that helped towards concentration. Sri Bhagwan responded thus:

Sri Bhagavan: There is no karma without a karta (doer). On seeking for the doer he disappears. Where is Karma then?

Mr. D. seeks practical instruction.

Sri Bhagwan: Seek the karta. That is the practice.

Mrs. D. said there were breaks in her awareness and desired to know how the awareness might be made continuous.

M.: Breaks are due to thoughts. You cannot be aware of breaks unless you think so. It is only a thought. Repeat the old practice, "To whom do thoughts arise?" Keep up the practice until there are no breaks. Practice alone will bring about continuity of awareness.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5410 on: August 04, 2018, 12:57:24 PM »
Sri V. Ganesan:

The mind and body are merely offshoots of the non-perceptible, motionless Self which is life itself. This life is the white screen on which the moving pictures of the body and mind come and go. They are the play of one's modes of living. Let us remember here, the guiding counsel of a recent saint, "Life is more important than living!"
In our daily existence, we experience waking, dreams and deep sleep. In our waking and dream states, our body and mind, the two offshoots of the Self are there. In deep sleep, they are not there, but, one continues to be alive! That is, life is there, but not the aspects of living. The Self is there, not the body and mind! Experiencing this Truth in our life is the first, successful step to unravel the splendour of our spiritual glory! To have a quicker and clearer understanding, we should notice the fact that in the realm of the body and mind, additions, subtraction, changes, alterations, coming and going are there. While the body grows, decays and dies, the mind is subject to ignorance, knowledge, change and alteration. The Self, the ever existent principle, is not dependent on the changeful body and mind.

Right from one's birth, through growth, illness and old age, one's feeling of oneself as 'I' remains unchanged. The body and mind change. But the feeling of 'I' never changes! No addition, subtraction or alteration is ever possible or felt in the Self. For it is achala, motionless, and aruna, the sole solid solitary
being.

Let not your attention be on mere living. Let it be on life itself. Never lose yourself in what you were or how you should be. Always BE AS YOU ARE. This is the fundamental teaching of Bhagavan.

Source: Drops from the Ocean

Dear devotees, this is one of the most wonderful writings, I have ever seen on Sri Bhagwan's Teaching, written by His devotees. It contains profound understanding and brilliant insights into the seminal Teaching. Self is the only Life as well as the only Existence. Those who practice Enquiry can discern that our living has been constantly changing from the childhood to this day, but the Life Itself, Existence itself, overlooking or witnessing the vicissitudes of that living has remained unchanged. If we understand this our attention will shift from the ever-changing living to never-changing Life that is the Swarupa. Then only we can understand the saying as to why Life is more important than living.

Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 12:59:40 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5411 on: August 05, 2018, 01:05:41 PM »
Dear devotees, Sri Robert Adams is a well-known name to Sri Bhagwan's devotees. When he once asked Sri Bhagwan what  was the easiest and most effective way to do Atma-vichara or the Self-enquiry, He is said to have taught thus:

Sri Bhagwan: To always be aware consciously in all situations of the I-Am.

No matter what you are doing
where you are
be aware of the I-Am
in your heart.

This is the most effective practice.

Dear devotees, can there be an easier and a more effective spiritual practice than being aware always of the I-Am, the Self or the Reality Itself, which is though within experience of all albeit hazily in the begining? There cannot be because it is most direct and most straight. Is it not?

Pranam,
   Anil
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 01:08:53 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

drsundaram

• View Profile
« Reply #5412 on: August 05, 2018, 07:03:28 PM »
please clarify to me: this is  said by our great  sage, Bhagavan Ramana . I agree, respect, and pranams. when i am into doing an act as  a part of day to day life's  call  i need obviously  put my attetntion to what i have to do or what i am  doing, like i drive or bath etc etc.  Is it not? At those  time/  which is always in succession  daily how can/do i be   aware of the "I- am" also?  our attention is to be focussed on one thing  at a time .....right.  how one  can be  being aware of true self/nature  and carry out the  task on hand  for both to be  in tantem. like always thro out daily till we sleep ? i request and solicit practical & followable guidelines please. Om Namo sri Arunachala Ramanaya   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5413 on: August 06, 2018, 12:48:21 PM »
Quote from Sri drsundaram:
"please clarify to me: this is  said by our great  sage, Bhagavan Ramana . I agree, respect, and pranams. when i am into doing an act as  a part of day to day life's  call  i need obviously  put my attetntion to what i have to do or what i am  doing, like i drive or bath etc etc. "

Sri Bhagwan: The Self is all. Now I ask you: Are you apart from the Self? Can the work go on apart from the Self? Or is the body apart from the Self? None of them could be apart from the Self. The Self is universal. So all the actions will go on whether you engage in them voluntarily or not. The work will go on automatically. Attending to the Self includes attending to the work.
D.: The work may suffer if I do not attend to it.
M.: Because you identify yourself with the body, you consider that the work is done by you. But the body and its activities, including the work, are not apart from the Self. What does it matter whether you attend to the work or not? Suppose you walk from one place to another place. You do not attend every single step that you take. After a time, however, you find yourself at your destination. You notice how the work, i.e., walking, goes on without your attention to it. Similarly it is with other kinds of work.

Dear Sri drsundaram,

Such questions, you see, were raised by devotees during Sri Bhagwan's Lifetime as well, and He invariably responded that work was no hindrance to meditation or the Self-enquiry. He has unequivocally taught that one who is practicing the path of Atma-vichara can go on practicing it while at the same time remaining engaged in work. It may be a little difficult in the earlier stages for a beginner, but after some sincere practice it will be found soon that the work is not a hindrance to the practice of the Self-enquiry. It is the experience of almost all His devotees who treaded the Path sincerely and steadfastly with perseverance.

Sri Bhagwan Himself has given the analogy of an actor who plays his part in a drama free from love and hatred. The actor does not identify himself with the part he is playing in the drama, and his real identity is never lost sight of. Likewise, we should act as an actor on the stage. Remember it and act: in all actions there is the Self as the underlying Principle and the Substratum.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil   

drsundaram

• View Profile
« Reply #5414 on: August 06, 2018, 07:04:47 PM »
thank you .
om namo bhagavathe sri ramanaya