Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 756533 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5115 on: October 16, 2017, 04:29:07 PM »
WHO (Sri K.Lakshamana Sarma):
"The Sage Himself gives us the essence of the teaching of the saints. He tells us that to attribute name and form to the Reality, thereby adding personality to It and making It into what we call God -- is quite proper and necessary as a means of mental purification. But He says also that any name and any form may be so attributed -- that it is narrowness to claim that a particular form is alone holy. And He reconciles this devotion with the foregoing teaching about the Quest and the Egoless State, by telling us that the goal of the devotee is the same as that of the seeker."

"It is said of devotion -- in the Gita, chapter IX -- that even men of evil life are benefited by it; they become good very soon and finally reach the State of unending Peace, the Egoless State. But as a general rule only men of pure mind and good conduct are drawn in devotion to God, because a certain degree of egolessness is implicit in devotion, and character is proportional to the degree of one's egolessness. Hence one should devote some attention to the improvement of character. This, of course, is necessary for all -- for seekers of the Self, as well as for devotees."
Source: Maha Yoga
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 04:31:31 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5116 on: October 17, 2017, 10:22:21 AM »
Maala To Kar Mein Phire, Jeebh Phire Mukh Mahin
Manua To Chahun Dish Phire, Yeh To Simran Nahin

Sri Kabir

Though the rosary is being rotated and beads are being counted, and though the tongue is twisting in the mouth to repeat the Mantra, but if the mind is wandering everywhere, this isn't meditation. 

Sri Ramakrishna Paramhamsa: Haven't you noticed the flame of a candle? The slightest wind makes it waver. The state of yoga is like the candle-flame in a windless place.  The mind is dispersed. Part of it has gone to Dacca, part to Delhi, and another part to Coochbehar. That mind is to be gathered in; it must be concentrated on one object. If you want sixteen annas' worth of cloth, then you have to pay the merchant the full sixteen annas. Yoga is not possible if there is the slightest obstacle. If there is any break in the telegraph-wire, then the news cannot be transmitted.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5117 on: October 17, 2017, 12:05:00 PM »
Dear Devotees,

Question is one of outlook. Self pervades all. We are the Self. So, Sri Bhagwan taught to see 'ourself' and all would be understood. Since we have lost hold of our own Self, we go about doubting even Its existence! How ridiculous!!! Self is within five sheaths. So, without making the mind bent Selfwards, but all the same, having temerity to question the very existence of Truth is indeed ridiculous, to say the least.
Sri Bhagwan has taught that the Self is ever realized, never non-realized. And we are the Self. Are we not? Therefore, it follows that Realization is ever here and now only. But because our vision is external, because our outlook has been outward bent, we have lost sight of the Self. But losing sight does not mean that It is not here and now. Self cannot be found in external objects.

"TURN  YOUR  LOOK  WITHIN  AND  PLUNGE  DOWN;  YOU  WILL  BE  THE  SELF."

The Self is 'here and now', and is most intimate of all. Just Be, and realize it here and now, if the seeming mind does not obstruct. However, if it obstructs, it needs to be reined in by practice and dispassion. As the rogue cow, accustomed to graze stealthily on others' estate, is tempted by the owner with fine grass till she is accustomed to the stall, so also the mind, with repeated practice and dispassion begins to find the inner happiness tasting which it will not wander outward.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 12:12:30 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5118 on: October 17, 2017, 02:37:56 PM »
Dear devotees, Swami Sri Siddheswarananda of Ramakrishna Mission read following lines from Sri W. Wordsworth before Sri Bhagwan:

His spirit drank the spectacle,
Sensation, soul and form all melted into him;
they swallowed up
His animal being, in them did he live,
And by them did he live; they were his life
In such access of mind, in such high hour
Of visitation from the living God,
Thought was not, in enjoyment it expired
Rapt in still communion, that transcends
The imperfect offices of prayer and praise,
His mind was a thanksgiving to the power
That made him; it was blessedness and love!

(Excursion -- Wanderer)
Source: Golden Jubilee Souvenir

Sri Bhagwan followed very appreciatively this selection from Wordsworth and remarked to Swami  in Malayalam,"How nicely they too have expressed these same high sentiments."

Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 02:39:51 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5119 on: October 17, 2017, 03:03:07 PM »
A visitor from Bengal: Shankara says that we are all free, not bound, and that we shall all return to God from whom we came, like sparks from a fire. If that is so, why should we not commit all sorts of sins?

Sri Bhagwan: It is true that we are not bound. That is to say, the real Self has no bondage. And it is true that you will eventually return to your Source. But meanwhile, if you commit sins, as you call them, you have to face the consequences. You cannot escape them. If a man beats you, can you say: 'I am free. I am not affected by the beating and feel no pain. Let him continue beating?' If you can really feel that, then you can do what you like, but what is the use of just saying in words that you are free?

Dear devotees, as is obvious, egos cannot say that we all are free, not bound, for, ego is not free.  This is what is, in my view, implied by Sri Bhagwan in His response to the visitor's question. That being a spark from God, we shall return to God from where we came, and therefore, should commit all sorts of sins, simply cannot be the point of view of the egos. However, such observation can be made by the ego only, and not by a Self-realized Jnani.
Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 06:17:30 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5120 on: October 17, 2017, 08:26:09 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

I wished to respond to your question here regarding Eka Sloki of Sri Bhagwan and Sri Sankra as following:

An Eka Sloki is a single stanza poem which portrays and conveys the essence of Sacred Texts and Holy Revelations of the Sages. Sri Bhagwan's Eka Sloki is certainly the famous Verse which was included in Sri Ramana Gita as V.2 in Ch. 2.  This Verse, in itself, contains the whole essence of His Revelation. While the first part depicts the Realization, the second part of the Verse points out the way or the means to It. It is regarded by many as the most important Verse of Sri Bhagwan:

Hridaya Kuhara Madhye Kevalam BrahmaMaathram
Hyahamahamithi Saakshaath Aathma Rupena Bhathi
Hridi Visha Manasa Svam Chinvata Majjata Va
Pavanachalana Rodhat Aatmanishto Bhavathvam?

In the inmost core, the Heart
Shines as Brahman alone,
As ?I-I?, the Self aware.
Enter deep into the Heart
By searching for Self, or diving deep,
Or with breath under check.
Thus abide ever in Atman.

V.2-2, Sri Ramana Gita

Similarly, as far as I know, Sri Sankara's Eka Sloki is presented as a dialogue between the Guru and the disciple. In response to a question raised by the disciple on Realization of Self, the Guru replies and a conversation follows:

Eka sloki of Sri Sankara goes like:

Kim Jyothistava Bhaanumaanahani Me Ratrau Pradeepadikam
Shyaadevam, Ravideepadarshanavidhau Kim Jyothiraakhyahi me
Chakshuhtasya Nimeelanaadisamaye Kim Dheehrdheeyo Darshane
Kim Tatraahamatho Bhavaanparamakam Jyothihtadasmi Prabho

Guru: How do you see (What is that light/power which helps you see?)
Sishya: I see with the help of sunlight
Guru: How do you see in the night?
Sishya: I see with the help of a lamp
Guru: Let that be so. How do you see the light? How do you see (your visualizations) even before you open your eyes?
Sishya: It is with my intellect
Guru: What helps you see (know) that intellect?
Sishya: This is me (me as pure consciousness)
Guru: (Indeed) You are that supreme light
Sishya: I realize that I am.

The Eka Sloki of Sri Sankara  has been included, in a slightly altered form, as V. 6, Supplement: Ulladu Narpadu also.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 08:33:41 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5121 on: October 18, 2017, 08:45:22 AM »
Dear Anil,

Thank you very much for your post giving the two slokas of Sri Bhagavan and Sri
Sankara.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5122 on: October 18, 2017, 09:40:10 AM »
यह  तन  विष  की  बेलरी , गुरु  अमृत  की  खान  |
सीस  दिए  जो  गुरु  मिले , तो  भी  सस्ता  जान  ||

Sri Kabir

This body is a bag of poison. The Guru is the Ocean (Mine) of nectar. If you get the Guru by sacrificing your head, that should be a cheap deal.

Dear devotees, if one obtains the Guru-God by sacrificing one's head, that's not only a cheap deal but an infinitely profitable bargain. Is it not? I feel that most of us would agree.
Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 09:41:54 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5123 on: October 18, 2017, 10:52:20 AM »
Sri Ramakrishna Paramhamsa: Haven't you noticed the flame of a candle? The slightest wind makes it waver. The state of yoga is like the candle-flame in a windless place.  The mind is dispersed. Part of it has gone to Dacca, part to Delhi, and another part to Coochbehar. That mind is to be gathered in; it must be concentrated on one object. If you want sixteen annas' worth of cloth, then you have to pay the merchant the full sixteen annas. Yoga is not possible if there is the slightest obstacle. If there is any break in the telegraph-wire, then the news cannot be transmitted.

Dear Devotees,

What is the meaning of the strength of the mind? Sri Bhagwan has taught that the ability of the mind to concentrate on a single thought, to the exclusion of all other thoughts, that is, without being distracted, is its strength. It has been said in the Gita also that the nature of the mind is to wander. However, Gita also enjoins that whenever mind jumps to other thoughts, one must bring one's mind back and made to bear on the thought of the Self or God or an Ideal of one's preference or choice. By steady practice with perseverance mind can not only be controlled, but can be made one-pointed and razor-sharp.

Dear devotees, thinking furiously is, contrary to general perception, not the strength of the mind but its weakness. Sri Bhagwan has taught that wavering of the mind is a weakness arising from the dissipation of energy in the shape of thoughts. When one makes the mind stick to one thought the energy is conserved, and the mind becomes stronger and one-pointed. This is what is also meant by Sri Paramhamsa's Teaching that the mind must be gathered in. It must be prevented from branching out into numerous thoughts.

The purpose of all yogas whatever is only this--to check the mind from changing. Is it not? This alone is the goal of all. Method is chosen according to one's own fitness and temperament. However, Sri Bhagwan has repeatedly said that Enquiry is one infallible method. Yet, the quiescence of the mind can also be attained by Japa, but not only by counting the beads and twisting the tongue in the mouth, while the mind is wandering everywhere; but by bringing the mind to bear on the thought of the Chanted. And Sri Ramakrishna Paramhamsa has shown to the world that quiescence of the mind as well as   'kumbhaka' can also be achieved through Ecstasy of Love for God.

However, dear devotees, I wish to say here that greatness of Sri Bhagwan's Vichara also lies in the fact that it is soon intuited and one begins to palpably sense that it is possible to keep the mind from entering into the phase of thoughts before one experiences the 'Current of Awakening of the Atma-swarupa'. And that is the beginning of the end or transcendence of the mind.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 10:59:33 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5124 on: October 18, 2017, 11:10:45 AM »
    MASTER'S  CALL  TO  FREEDOM

It needs high courage to receive Thy call
And leap responding to Thy silver voice:
It needs proud wisdom to give up our all
And in a self-unprisonment rejoice.
We are in love with our unluminous
Flesh-dungeon; we have grown afraid of light.
Our fetters have become so dear to us
That we should not exchange them and our night
For freedom and dawn. From age to age
The spirit has been captive in a cage.
Our misery, how shall we break the bars
And leap into wide heaven once again?
How shall we make our weak wings woo the stars
And rise out of this prisonment of pain?
We ask no mortal boon, we do not seek
Such earthly favours as but laugh for an hour.
Master! we do not hunger for unique Distinctions
of fame, of wealth or power.
We only beg the mastery to curb
Doubt to deep faith, unpublished and superb.

Sri Harindranath Chattopadhyaya, Source: Golden Jubilee Souvenir

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5125 on: October 18, 2017, 02:56:19 PM »
EXPECTATION
Days melted into weeks, and weeks into months and the foreigner (Sri Cohen)  impatiently awaited the Great Experience: each day was the day, and each moment the moment. The Indian is never in a hurry: he knows his work well, and, looking wistfully ahead, continues his practice, full of unshakeable confidence. But the foreigner, being used to work on a timetable, fixes hour and date, as if for an interview. As the clock strikes, he buckles on his belt, sits stiff, shuts his eyes, and waits for the interview. The clock strikes again, he opens his eyes, unbelts himself, and rises, postponing his hope to the evening or the next morning, and so on and on he goes.

When many months thus rolled by and nothing startling happened, he cried with all the fervour of his soul: "How long, O Lord, how long?" But lo! what had happened to him! He looked back at his old self and looked at the present one --what a change, Good God! And he wondered what could have happened in six short months. Then the Great Secret dawned on him -- the secret influence of the Divine Man in whose radiant ocean he had been daily bathing: the interview, after all, did take place, although the foreigner was not aware of it.

Guru Ramana, Sri S. S. Cohen

Dear devotees, this is true for almost all devotees of Sri Bhagwan who were drawn irresistibly to Him and silently practiced His Teaching without much ado. I myself was once assailed by the thought that I have been practicing Sri Bhagwan's Vichara for so long, but did not feel that I had progressed much towards the Realization Sri Bhagwan spoke of. But when I looked back in introspection, much like Sri Cohen, I became aware of the metamorphosis His Grace and practice according to His Teaching brought about in me. Then the truth of Sri Bhagwan's saying dawned on me. The Guru's help to His devotees is much like the mother's breast-feeding to her sleeping child, while the child himself remains quite unaware of the feeding. So, His work lies within and remains hidden. The Magic of His Alchemy works from within, helping the devotee to see the error of his ways, and thus the Guru guides him in the right path until he realizes the Self within. Therefore, whether the Guru is within or without--His work is to create condition to drive one inward and to prepare the interior to drag and fix him to the Centre of his Existence.
Pranam
 Anil     
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 03:07:03 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5126 on: October 19, 2017, 10:32:19 AM »
बाहर  क्या  दिखलाये , अंतर  जपिए  राम  |
कहा  काज  संसार  से , तुझे  धानी  से  काम  ||

Sri Kabir

There is nothing to show outside. Chant Rama internally. One should not be concerned with the world but with the Master of the world.

Dear devotees, I keep posting from Sri Kabir's cryptic but profound Dohe, Sri Rabindranath Tagore's sublime poetry, and nectarine Gita, because, before I came to Sri Bhagwan, they along with Sri Vivekananda's writings and Sri Tulsi Das' Ramayana, were like mooring ropes which  kept pulling me out of the sea of samsara, but I slipped into the mundane sea again and again, till Sri Bhagwan came and moored irreversibly to the spiritual shore to live a meaningful and spiritual life with a spirit of enquiry into that which Is.

Pranam,
  Anil.   
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 10:34:12 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5127 on: October 19, 2017, 03:20:14 PM »
Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan Himself and Sri Muruganar have composed some wonderful Verses on Dipawali, which are as following:

The Puranas say that Lord Narayana has killed the demon [of misery], Naraka Asura. This demon is none other than the one who lives as "I am this body, the source of misery". One who seeks Naraka Asura's [i.e., the ego's] source, and thus annihilates him, is truly Lord Narayana Himself.
V. 181, GVK

The Deepavali-bath, which is taken by all people on the fourteenth moon in remembrance of the conquest of Naraka, signifies the bath of Jnana, which is taken after destroying the ego Naraka Asura, by searching for his source.
V. 182, GVK

The above two verses were summarised in the following verse by Sri Bhagavan:

Sri Bhagwan:  He who kills Narakasura (the ego) with the Wheel [i.e. weapon] of Jnana, by enquiring, "Where is the source of Narakasura who rules over Narakaloka, this wretched body, as 'I'?", is Lord Narayana; and that day [of the ego's destruction] is the auspicious day of the fourteenth moon.
V. B4, GVK

Deepavali signifies the great Self-Effulgence which shines after destroying the reflected light [i.e. the ego], Narakasura, who was ruling this filthy body, which is the form of hell, as 'I'.
V. 183, GVK

This verse was recomposed by Sri Bhagwan in the following form:

Sri Bhagwan:  Deepavali signified the shining of Self after the destruction, through enquiry, of the greatest sinner, Naraka [the ego], who took the abode of this filthy body, which is the form of hell, as 'I'.
V. B5, GVK

Dear devotees, I received V. 183 of the GVK on WhatsApp yesterday from 'Sri Ramana'. All the Verses composed by Sri Bhagwan and Sri Muruganar, on Dipawali, as cited above, are of precious worth and should be contemplated upon on the occasion of Dipawali today.

Dipawali means 'Festival of Lights'. Self alone is the real Light through which all the seeing whatever is happening. But the Self will shine forth only after the destruction of the greatest sinner Naraka or the 'ahankarasura' (ego) through Enquiry. Therefore, if this Naraka called ahankarasura is destroyed through proper sadhana, the Dipawali or the 'Festival of Light' will not come once in a year on the fourteenth day of the waning moon in October or November (Naraka Chaturdasi), but one oneself is metamorphosed into the Light Itself, which is the Light of Awareness, and which alone is Real Life. Then who is to bathe into what?
Thanks very much. 
Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 03:26:48 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5128 on: October 19, 2017, 04:18:15 PM »
In the goodly land of fame great,
The only Light that dazzleth bright
Is the Being First,
For all directions to adore,
And unto all nature blooming and fruiting,
He in accord stood,
Filling everywhere in unitive perfection.

Sri Thaumanavar
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 04:23:05 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5129 on: October 20, 2017, 10:25:28 AM »
प्रेमभाव  एक  चाहिए , भेष  अनेक  बनाय  |
चाहे  घर  में  वास  कर , चाहे  बन  को  जाए  ||
Sri Kabir

One may adopt many external facades, one may stay at home, or one may go to woods, if one wants God, one must have love in the heart.

Note: I myself have translated the cited Verse. If any one of you find any error or any discrepancy, you may kindly point out. Anil