Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758844 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5085 on: October 09, 2017, 03:48:07 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi, I bought 'The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna'  in hard copy in 2006, but seeing the contents you have posted, and perhaps inspired by them, I started reading the Gospel seriously only now. However, this is too voluminous a book to be carried wherever I go. Hence, will you kindly point out a site from where I can download and save it easily in my computer?  Pranam, Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: October 09, 2017, 04:05:03 PM »
          Infinite Vision

Those with physical eyes alone
See God in beautiful objects,
Yogis see Him in the heart-lotus;
Priests see Him in the sacred fire.
The truly wise have a thousand eyes
And see Him everywhere.

V. 347, GVK

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #5087 on: October 09, 2017, 04:45:50 PM »
Anilbhai,
You may download The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna from this site:
http://www.vedanta-nl.org/GOSPEL.pdf

I got to see this version only now and it includes a nice account by Swami Tapasyananda on 'M' and how he came to write this wonderful book...There are Diacritical marks in this version and it may pose a challenge to share excerpts from it here...ofcourse they can be corrected....but for reading it is quite sufficient and complete.
I have an earlier version in pdf without the diacritical marks but I do not find it available any longer...never mind,the one above is equally good.
The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna is available as a Kindle book but the price is very steep almost 2.5 times the price of the hardcopy!....The Math always subsidizes the books and is too happy that people make good use of their publications for sadhana but looks like it did not work out in the 'kindle format'....I heard from a reliable source that Amazon demands a share of 60% of the sales proceeds and this sort of defeats the original purpose.
The Belur Ramakrishna Math offers the Gospel for reading and the entire book is available through the net and all can access it freely:
http://www.belurmath.org/gospel/

Namaskar

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #5088 on: October 09, 2017, 09:36:56 PM »
Hence, will you kindly point out a site from where I can download and save it easily in my computer?  Pranam, Anil

I had downloaded the "Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna" as an APP in Google Playstore 2 years back and it is a free one and is similar to reading a PDF File and I find it convenient enough to read in my small TAB and also in my smart Phone . You can try that . It is for free and does not occupy much space .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5089 on: October 10, 2017, 10:14:05 AM »
Dear Sri Ravi and Sri Atmavichar,

Yes, thanks very much. I have downloaded the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna, in its entirety, from the first site you suggested and saved it in my laptop. Yes, excerpt cannot be shared from this downloaded book, but it is quite sufficient for reading purpose. It does not matter that excerpt cannot be shared from this book because I verily like to type the content which I wish to share particularly in this forum.

Pranam,
 Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5090 on: October 10, 2017, 11:00:50 AM »
Dear devotees, what follows is an excerpt from the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

Master (Sri Rammakrisna):

It is said there are four classes of human beings: the bound, those aspiring after liberation, the liberated, and the ever perfect.

The world is like fishing-net. Men are the fish, and God, whose maya has created this world, is the fisherman. When the fish are entangled in the net,  some of them try to tear through its meshes in order to get their liberation. They are like the men striving after liberation. But by no means all of them escape. Only a few jump out of the net with a loud splash, and then people say, 'Ah! There goes a big one!' In like manner, three or four men attain liberation. Again, some fish are so careful by nature that they are never caught in the net; some beings of ever perfect class, like Narada, are never entangled in the meshes of worldliness. Most of the fish are trapped, but they are not conscious of the net and of their imminent death. No sooner are they entangled than they run headlong, net and all, trying to hide themselves in the mud. They don't make the least effort to get free. On the contrary, they go deeper and deeper into the mud. These fish are like the bound man. They are still inside the net, but they think they are quite safe there. A bound creature is immersed in worldliness, in 'woman and gold', having gone deep into the mire of degradation. But still he believes he is quite happy and secure. The liberated, and the seekers after liberation, look on the world as a deep well. They do not enjoy it. Therefore, after attainment of Knowledge, the realization of God, some give up their bodies. But such a thing is rare indeed.

The bound creatures, entangled in worldliness, will not come to their senses at all. They suffer so much misery and agony, they face so many dangers, and yet they will not wake up. 

Dear devotees, Sri Paramhamsa thus laments that those in bondage are so immersed in worldliness and are so forgetful of God that not even by mistake do they think of God!
(I shall conclude this discussion on the analogy  between the fish and  four classes of human beings, as delineated by the Master, in my next post.)
Pranam,
 Anil           
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 11:02:37 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5091 on: October 10, 2017, 12:11:12 PM »
Dear Devotees.

Therefore, the Master speaks of four types of fish that a fisherman is likely to encounter.

a.   Some fish are so clever that that they are never caught in the net. They see the net coming and evade it by swimming away from
        the net.
b.   Some fish get trapped all right, but manages to get free.
c.   The third type of fish get ensnared or trapped but make effort and struggle to get free.
d.   The fourth or the worst type of fish, remaining oblivious to the life-threatening situation or the imminent death, even bite the net,
        and believes that they are quite happy and secure. 

Dear devotees, the Gita also speaks of four classes of people as enjoined by the Master also: The Jnani, Sanyasi, Yogi and bhogi.

The Self-realized Jnani  is ever free, never bound, by the fetters of the world. The Sanyasi, having experienced the misery and agony in the world, understands the danger of attachments and worldly entanglements and manages to steer clear. The Yogi is bound but at least senses the danger of the worldly entanglements and therefore endeavours to escape. But alas! The bhogi remains blissfully unaware of the risks of worldly attachment and entanglement and is content with the instant sensory satiation that his life can afford.

Dear devotees, why the bhogi is content with instant pleasures. A bhogi looks for happiness outside himself and almost always gets only sorrow and disappointment, because satisfaction of one desire will give birth to myriad desires which can never be fully satiated. On the other hand, a Yogi understands that happiness is not a commodity to be found in the transitory world outside and commences the journey inward, distilling and refining his desires in the way. A Sanyasi is an advanced soul knocking on the door of Self-realization. A Jnani has attained what is to be attained in this birth and remains immersed in the Bliss of the infinite Atma-swarupa.

Therefore, it follows from this discussion that as one moves up from being a bhogi to a Yogi to a Sanyasi, and finally to a Jnani, one progressively experiences greater and greater happiness and gains more and more power.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 12:15:54 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5092 on: October 10, 2017, 03:18:04 PM »
Sri Arthur Osborne:
This whole sadhana took barely half an hour, and yet it is of the utmost importance to us that it was a sadhana, a striving towards light, and not an effortless awakening; for a Guru normally guides his disciples along the path that he himself has trod. That Sri Bhagavan completed within half an hour not merely the sadhana of a lifetime but, for most sadhakas, of many lifetimes, does not alter the fact that it was a striving by Self-enquiry such as He later enjoined on His followers. He warned them that the consummation towards which it leads is not normally attained quickly but only after long striving, but He also said that it is "the one infallible means, the only direct one, to realize the unconditioned, absolute Being that you really are" (Maharshi's Gospel, Part II). He said that it immediately sets up the process of transmutation, even though it may be long before this is completed. "But the moment the ego-self tries to know itself it begins to partake less and less of the body in which it is immersed and more and more of the consciousness of Self."

Dear Devotees,

Quote from  Sri Bhagwan's Death-experience in His own Words:

" 'Well then,' I said to myself, 'this body is dead. It will be carried stiff to the burning ground and there burnt and reduced to ashes. But with the death of this body am I dead? Is the body 'I'?' "

Therefore, yes, it was a striving towards the Light. It was the Sadhana which was completed, and which led Sri Bhagwan towards consummation, within half an hour. Though the consummation towards which His Vichara leads may not be attained quickly, awakening of 'impersonal current of awareness', vibrating as the very essence of one's being, is unmistakable from the very beginning provided one is vigilant and attentive enough. This current of awareness, if fostered by continual effort, becomes intense and more constant until finally it leads to Self-realization. So, by the constant practice, all this should be made more and more frequent until it becomes continuous not only during allotted time of the sadhana, but underlying speech and action also.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 03:25:12 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5093 on: October 10, 2017, 04:06:29 PM »
Qualities unbecoming Tapasvins

Feeling, thinking, doing
Eating, tasting, hurting
Falling, rising, boasting
These come not
To those who walk in God.
V. 1686, Tirumantiram

Inner Vision ends Births

They glimpse not the Dawn,
Nor the Spaces Vast;
Nor the Vision in Spaces;
Close your inner eyes hard
And then see;
Behold, there is the Light
That brings not another day!
V. 1687, Tirumantiram

No Grace for false Disciple

He thinks not of sundering soul's fetters,
Nor of annihilating world's desires;
He strives not to Mukti attain,
Nor aught of Tattvas and the way ahead;
But takes a wayward course,
A disciple exceeding mad;
To him is not the gift of Grace granted.
V. 1688, Tirumantiram

Other blemishes of false Disciples

He thinks not of ending Fetters Five
Nor of deliverance from incessant lust immersed;
A mean liar, fears neither birth nor death
Verily, a stranger to Grace shall be
He, the disciple false.
V. 1689, Tirumantiram

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5094 on: October 11, 2017, 12:02:34 PM »
Sri Arthur Osborne:
Ananda Mayi Ma, a well-known woman Saint of North India, came to the Samadhi and, refusing a seat of honour prepared for her, said: "Why all this fuss? I have come to pay homage to my Father and can sit on the ground with the others." A South Indian woman Saint was asked by Mrs. Taleyarkhan about herself and others still living in the body and replied, "He (Sri Bhagwan) was the Sun and we are its rays." The story is no more ended than the story of Christ was ended upon the cross. It is, indeed, not a new religion that Sri Bhagavan brought upon earth, but a new hope, a new path, for those who understand and aspire from every land and religion in this age of spiritual darkness. It was not for His body's lifetime only. To those who feared that the guidance might end with death He replied curtly, "You attach too much importance to the body." Now, as then, He guides whoever approaches Him and whoever submits to Him He supports. To all who seek, He is here.

Dear Devotees,

Yes, to all who follow His Teaching whole-heartedly, with love, He is the Guru. To all who submit to Him, He takes charge of their spiritual as well as the worldly affairs. And to all who seek, He is teaching the 'Path of being (Summa Iru)', by speaking without speaking, in Sri Ramanasramam and elsewhere, for, That which exists alone can be made known only by speaking without speaking, through Silence. If the Adi Guru Dakshinamurti made the Sat-Vastu known unspokenly spoken, who can make it known by speaking? How else can our own real nature be made known, if not just by being, and searching without searching within? Therefore, to all who seek, He is here as the Self or the Inner Guru or the Sat-Tattva. Last but not the least, love for Him prepares a seeker and makes Vichara accessible for him, and sustains him on the Path. Sustained Vichara invokes love for the Self, and remember, to turn entire attention within intense and all-consuming love for the Atma-swarupa is essential. Therefore, love for the Guru makes Vichara accessible and its sustained practice deepens love for the Self or the Inner Guru. There cannot be any doubt about that.

Thanks very much.
Pranam
 Anil
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 12:08:35 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5095 on: October 11, 2017, 01:05:27 PM »
He who in action sees inaction and action in inaction, he is wise among men, he is yogin and he has accomplished all his work.
V. 4-18, Srimad Bhagavad Gita

Dear devotees, when the work is done without attachment, such work is called 'Akarma' which means that such work will not cause bondage. Such actions are not born of desires, and are performed as one's duties, with fruits of such actions offered to Him, and with a heart joined with the Divine. If an action is born of desire, to reap harvests as the fruit of such an action, that is, with attachment, this action will surely result in bondage. So, if one is wilfully not acting and keeping quiet outwardly, he is all the same acting. Turning away from action due to ignorance amounts to action which causes bondage. This is why it is said that the Wise Ones are inactive even while they seemingly are acting; and fools are acting even while they seemingly are inactive. So, the action of the Wise One is said to have the same fruit as that of renunciation. For such a One, Knowledge and Work  or Jnana or Karma go together, for, such a one sees every action as His Activity alone whether individual is active or inactive.

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 01:07:44 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5096 on: October 11, 2017, 03:28:29 PM »
   The Pervasiveness that is Bliss

''Never are you the master of thy action,
So helpless are you.''

So saying, in silentness Thou came
And took charge of my life, body and possessions
And claimed me as your own.

From that moment on,
Illusory became time and space,
Illusory became the desire for objects illusory,
Illusory became the attachment
That holds the illusory body as real,
Illusory of all became the ''I'' that is illusory.

And so
No more the maya that is pitch dark,
No more the occasion for the twin karmas to creep in,
No more the mind,
No more the cognates of that mind.
No more the coming, no more the going,
No more the tenses that speak of
''That time'' and ''This time.''
All transcendent beyond consciousness!

Oh! Thou, Param that is Bliss
Encompassing in Pervasive Fullness,
The Universes many and Spaces vast!

Sri Thaumanavar

Dear devotees, when the illusory 'I' is revealed as illusory, everything that this illusory, pseudo subject-'I', sees as object, is also revealed as illusory--body, time, space, desire, objects, et al.
Pranam,
 Anil 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 03:30:35 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5097 on: October 11, 2017, 04:17:38 PM »
M: Sir, what is the nature of the divine love transcending the three gunas?
Master (Sri Ramakrishna): Attaining that love, the devotees sees everything full of Spirit and Consciousness. To him, 'Krishna is Consciousness, and His sacred Abode is also Consciousness'. The devotee, too, is Consciousness. Everything is Consciousness. Very few people attain such love.
Source: The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

Dear devotees, taking a little liberty, the same can be also said of the Knowledge or Jnana:

Attaining that Knowledge, the devotee sees everything full of Spirit and Consciousness. To him, 'Krishna is Consciousness, and His sacred Abode is also Consciousness'. The devotee, too, is Consciousness. Everything is Consciousness. Very few people attain Knowledge.

Therefore, Jnana is Prema and Prema is Jnana, or Knowledge is Love and Love is Knowledge. Both are not mutually exclusive. Both are mutually inclusive. This is why a Great Sage and a Jnani, Sri Bhagwan, is the Embodiment of Love, and a Great Bhakta and a Paramhamsa, Sri Ramakrishna, is the Embodiment of Jnana. Therefore, so long as  one sees Knowledge distinct from Love, and Love distinct from Knowledge, knows neither Jnana nor Prema.

Pranam,
 Anil     
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 04:20:04 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5098 on: October 12, 2017, 12:47:13 PM »
Without us there is no time and or space. If we are only bodies, we are caught up in time and space. But are we bodies? Now, then and always--here, now and everywhere--we are the same. We exist, timeless and spaceless we.
V. 16, Ulladu Narpadu (Forty Verses on that Which Is)

Dear Devotees,

Ulladu Narpadu is said to be the Scripture of the Atma-vichara. I also consider the Ulladu Narpadu as a sacred Text, and therefore, those who practice Atma-vichara, in my view, will benefit immensely by dwelling and contemplating often on the Holy Words of this Text.

Profound Enquiry reveals that time and space are not independent of the Awareness which is self-evident as 'I Am'. If we consider ourselves foolishly to be mere  bodies, then only we are caught up in space and time. But we are not the insentient bodies. For, we are always the Awareness here, there and everywhere. Always we are--timeless and spaceless Awareness 'I Am', which shines at all times without any change. If we investigate deeply, we find that this Awareness remains unchanged with the change in body. This body undergoes drastic changes with the advancement of age from birth to different stages of the body, such that we cannot recognize ourselves in our own childhood group-photographs, yet the Awareness 'I Am' remains unchanged with the different stages of the body.  This Awareness remains unchanged during three states of waking, dream and sleep also. So, here, there, now, then, et al, are valid only so long as we identify ourselves with the bodies. Stages and states apply only to the body-mind complex. Therefore, we must conclude that differences in time and space, such as today or tomorrow or this place or that place, affect only the bodies, and we are not the bodies.

Therefore, dear devotees, if we enquire and realize the Self, both illusory time as well as illusory space disappear, and Conscious Being alone remains. We then know that time and space are not apart from our infinite beingness. So, it follows that when the mind rests in peace with the Self, spaceless and timeless are we; and if we rise as the illusory body-mind complex, we are subject to time or under the jurisdiction of time, as it were.

All limitations therefore are extraneous, superimposed. Since we are unlimited, we feel bewildered if we remain confined to a single place, and hence keep on planning tours and voyages. Similarly, we are not happy with the restriction of time because we want to enjoy indefinitely without restriction of time. All these indicate to our inherent Freedom to which all kinds of limitations are alien.

Dear devotees, Sri Dwaraknath Reddy, in his wonderful book titled 'The Dicey Problem of New Age Science', in which he has endeavoured to examine some of the concepts of the Modern Physics, such as space-time of the Relativity, etc., vis-a-vis Sri Bhagwan's Teaching of the Atma-vichara, has observed beautifully thus:

Quote:
"It was 1950, and the body was seventy, when it 'died'.
Of Him I can only say:"

"LONG  BEFORE  TIME  COULD  WRITE  RAMANA  MAHARSHI'S  OBITUARY,
RAMANA  MAHARSHI  WROTE  TIME'S  OBITUARY."

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil   
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 12:55:46 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5099 on: October 12, 2017, 03:31:47 PM »
Into our hearts, the noble One, he came,
the Inner Light no word could name,
and we crossed o'er desire's shoreless sea.
At once our senses flew away like birds unfed,
our arrogant nature now quite dead.
Of this let us sing, and Tonokkam play!
Hymn 15, Tiru-t-Tonokkam, V. 14, Tiruvachakam

Dear devotees, the meaning and import of the cited Verse is crystal clear. When the knowledge of the abiding Presence of the Noble One (Self) arises in the Heart, that is, at the deepest Core of one's being, there would no longer be any scope for the mischief of the five senses, and it will cease completely, for, then, senses themselves would fly away like unfed birds. Arrogance, pride, chauvinism, etc. pertain to the ego-sense. With the shining forth of the real Self, the ego-sense shame-facedly takes to flight. These dark forces and tendencies cannot survive and are burnt to ashes in the blazing Fire of Knowledge.

Dear devotees, however, I often wonder: What do the words, such as, 'Tonokkam' in the refrain of above Verse (Of this let us sing, and Tonokkam play!)  and the word 'Tellenam' in the refrain of other Verses (let us sing, and beat Tellenam) really mean? 

Pranam,
 Anil 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 03:38:26 PM by eranilkumarsinha »