Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 755708 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5040 on: October 01, 2017, 11:57:58 AM »
Dear devotees, if one has taken up Sri Bhagwan's Vichara in good faith but feels that he has not made any palpable progress, should read  following excerpt carefully, which has been extracted from Sri Sadhu Om's writing. Sri Om's writing has helped me immensely and I am sure that it will stand them in good stead as well:

Sri Sadhu Om:
As one's desirelessness and longing to know Self thus increase by prayer to the Guru, by study (sravana) of and reflection (manana) upon His teachings, and by practice (nididhyasana) of Self-attention, one's ability to turn one's attention towards the first person will also increase, until one will be able to turn it 90, 120 or even 150 degrees at each fresh attempt. When one's ability to turn one's attention Selfwards thus increases, one will be able to experience a tenuous current of Self-awareness even while engaged in activity; that is, one will be able to experience an awareness of one's being which will not be disturbed by whatever one's mind, speech or body may be doing, in other words, one will be able to remember the feeling 'I am' which always underlies all one's activities. However, this tenuous current of Self-awareness should not be taken to be the state of unceasing Self-attention, because one will experience it only when one feels inclined to do so.

How then can one experience the state of unceasing Self-attention, the state of unswerving Self-abidance? The Guru's Grace will more and more help those aspirants who thus repeatedly practise Self-attention with great love (bhaktl) to know Self. When a glowing fire and a blowing wind join together, they play wonders. Likewise, when the glowing fire of love for Self-knowledge and the blowing wind of the Guru's Grace join together, a great wonder takes place. During one of his fresh attempts, the aspirant will be able to turn his attention a complete 180 degrees towards Self (that is, he will be able to achieve a perfect clarity of Self-awareness, completely uncontaminated by even the least awareness of any second or third person), whereupon he will feel a great change taking place spontaneously and without his effort. His power of attention, which he had previously tried so many times to turn towards Self and which had always slipped back towards second and third persons, will now be caught under the grip of a powerful clutch which will not allow it to turn again towards any second or third person. This clutch is the clutch of Grace. Though Grace has always been helping and guiding one, it is only when one is thus caught by its clutch that one becomes totally a prey to it. If one once turns one's attention a full 180 degrees towards Self, one is sure to be caught by this clutch of Grace, which will then take one as its own and will forever protect one from again turning towards second and third person objects. This state in which the mind is thus caught by the clutch of Grace and is thereby drowned forever in its source, is known as the experience of true knowledge (jnananubhutl), Self-realization (atmasakshatkaram), liberation (moksha) and so on. This alone can be called the state of unceasing Self-attention.

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 12:27:15 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5041 on: October 01, 2017, 03:24:18 PM »
D: In my present state, is there sufficient faith, humility and surrender in me? If not, how to make them perfect?

Sri Bhagwan: You are perfect, so abandon the idea of imperfection and need for development. Ego is not a real thing. It is the mind which makes the effort and the mind is not real. Just as it is not necessary to kill the rope which one imagines to be a snake, so also, there is no need to destroy the mind. Knowing the form of the mind makes the mind disappear.

Dear Devotees,

On account of forgetfulness of the Self, we have messed up our Pure Being and Its wondrous Power (Pure Mind or Sudha Mind) with the imagined little self called ego  and its myriad imagined bundle of thoughts we call our minds respectively, with the concomitant thinking of inadequacy and imperfection as  consequences. The rope which one imagines to be a snake is not supposed to be killed, only a little investigation reveals it to be a rope. Does it not? So also, knowing the real Self makes the ego disappear, and knowing the true form of the mind makes the lower or the impure mind disappear and reveals It to be Consciousness with the experience of pure mental state of 'I Am That I Am'. Remember, the Pure Mind or Manoakasa is Consciousness of the form 'I Am That I Am', which is verily Absolute Consciousness. Therefore, what remains, on the culmination of the Enquiry, is Brahman and Its Sakti which are One and the same.   

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil         
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 03:26:11 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5042 on: October 01, 2017, 03:35:42 PM »
The root of meditation is the Guru's form;
The root of worship, the Guru's feet;
The root of mantram is the Guru's word; 
The root of freedom is His grace.

Sri Guru Gita

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5043 on: October 02, 2017, 08:57:50 AM »
O Supreme of Supremes!
Searching without searching who this 'I' was,
soon I found You alone blessed Lord,
standing as the heaven of bliss.

Sri Thaumanavar (Hymn 43, V. 225)

Dear devotees, I wish to say that 'searching without searching' is central to Sri Bhagwan's Teaching of Atma-vichara, for, 'Summa Iru', or 'Just Be', or  'Stand Still', is the Core of the Teaching around which the whole edifice of the Path of the Self-enquiry has been constructed. And if 'searching without searching' is not 'Just Be', or not the 'Self-attention', what is it? Kindly tell me.

However, dear devotees, I would request someone who is well versed or knows Tamil well, and who has delved into Sri Thayumanavar's wonderful compositions of divine songs, to kindly point out to me what are the exact Tamil words employed for the phrase 'searching without searching' and their literal meaning in English or Sanskrit. 

Pranam,
 Anil   
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 09:06:05 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

Nishta

• View Profile
« Reply #5044 on: October 02, 2017, 09:05:34 AM »

D: In my present state, is there sufficient faith, humility and surrender in me? If not, how to make them perfect?

Sri Bhagwan: You are perfect, so abandon the idea of imperfection and need for development. Ego is not a real thing. It is the mind which makes the effort and the mind is not real. Just as it is not necessary to kill the rope which one imagines to be a snake, so also, there is no need to destroy the mind. Knowing the form of the mind makes the mind disappear.

beautiful!

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5045 on: October 02, 2017, 11:07:59 AM »
Seeking You, The Atma-swarupa which I had lost, in the boundless expanse of the Heart, I have found You through Your Grace, Oh Arunachala!
V. 45, Sri Arunachala Aksharamanamalai

Dear devotees, from the standpoint of the Absolute Truth, there is neither even least possibility of anyone losing the Atma-swarupa or the Self (it is ridiculous to say that one has lost his Self, is it not?), nor equally there is any possibility of returning to or regaining Him again. However, when He sings that He has regained Him once again, it is only to illustrate the apparent fact that everyone everywhere thinks of Him as if, in fact, lost on account of failure of attention (pramada) since time immemorial. Therefore, it is only when subsequently, through His Grace, mind is turned inward that it is able to know or attain the Atma-swarupa or the Self as It really Is, ever shining in the Heart as  'I  Am I'. Therefore, Grace is the primary Cause.

Dear devotees, another interpretation of the V. 45 is also available also, though I feel that in meaning and import it is not much different from the one as given above. See for yourself:

Another Interpretation of the V. 45:
"Though I sought you, the indwelling Godhead, in my Heart, I have been unable to discern and reach You owing to lack of sufficient strength to complete the task, and have returned empty-handed, remaining outside as before. Therefore, may You bestow Your Grace, Oh Arunachala!"

Pranam,
 Anil   
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 11:10:07 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5046 on: October 02, 2017, 11:11:19 AM »
The Guru verily is consciousness,
There is no doubt He is absolute;
Thus a wise man who seeks the truth,
Will find it in his Sadguru.

Sri Guru Gita

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5047 on: October 02, 2017, 11:39:51 AM »
Supreme of Supremes,
If pure Silence (Mauna) arises in me,
then will there be
silence of mind, silence of word and deed,
silence of all.
Sri Thaumanavar, Hymn 43, V. 276

Dear devotees, what is that Mauna, that Silence, Sri Bhagwan Ramana is the Embodiment of, and conveys and speaks of? However, please do not merely say that it is the perennial language or it is the most eloquent language, etc. What is it that is indicated by that Silence?

Anil
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 04:40:06 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5048 on: October 02, 2017, 03:37:58 PM »
D: If we cannot be Self-aware, what is to be done?
Sri Bhagwan: Strenuously endeavour to know the Self. Develop the introspective attitude. Constantly put before your mind the query 'Who Am I?' and in time you will be able to become Self-aware.

Dear devotees, we need to put before our minds the query 'Who Am I?' so constantly that it should become ingrained in us such that whenever a thought arises, the ultimate question stands raised of its own accord, automatically, turning at once our diverted attention once again on to ourselves, and thus killing the risen thought then and there at the place of its rising itself for want of attention. If one practices thus, thoughts will subside paving the way for the real Vichara of Self-abidance or just being or standing still. Therefore, one can easily discern that the Self Enquiry is holistic in that it facilitates to keep the mind inward, controls the mind, and thus it prepares one to practice real Inner Self Enquiry (Antara Vichara) of remaining in one's natural, pure state of mere being till one becomes Self-aware.  In this way, it takes care of all aspects of sadhana in entirety and therefore it is holistic. However, perseverance, love and longing are needed so that His Grace is added.

Pranam,
 Anil   
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 03:40:34 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5049 on: October 03, 2017, 09:00:48 AM »
D: O Lord, how full of bliss shall I be for all the time when I actually achieve that consummation devoutly to be wished!

Sri Bhagwan: What is there for you to achieve while you are That (Sat-Chit-Anand) already? You are beyond all time, space and causation. You are the unlimited, absolute, supreme being of bliss. Like the silk-worm which weaves its own web and crushes itself by being caught within its tightening folds, the ignorant man who yields to the mind and its ways seems to be immersed in the world of misery, though in reality, he never ceases to be One without a second.

Dear Sri Nishta,

Though we never ceases to be One without a second, and it is ridiculous to think that we have ever lost the Atma-swarupa or the Self, everyone everywhere thinks of Him as if He were in fact lost through the failure of attention since the time immemorial. Hence the Great Ones, out of great compassion for Their devotees in particular and seekers at large, have exhorted invariably to dive within and find out the Pearl, that is, The Self.

Dive deep, O mind, dive deep in the Ocean of God's Beauty;
If you descend to the uttermost depths,
There you will find the Gem of Love. 

Dear Sri Nishta, if the holy words are so beautiful, one cannot imagine (beyond imagination), or one cannot conceive (beyond conception) the Beatitude of realizing their import, that is, being the blissful Atma-swarupa that we always are.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil   
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 09:03:27 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5050 on: October 03, 2017, 11:58:23 AM »
Dear Devotees,

There was a nest of squirrels above Sri Bhagwan's couch. A cat had eaten the mother of the young squirrels and the responsibility for their care was taken over by Sri Bhagwan Himself. He remarked:

Sri Bhagwan: These little ones do not know that wisdom lies in staying in their nest. They keep attempting to come out. All trouble lies outside and they cannot remain within. Similarly if the mind is not externalized, but remains sunk in the Heart, then there would be only happiness. But the mind keeps moving out.

However, dear devotees, a devotee could not grasp and take in the import of the above Teaching, and so asks, 'What is the path for keeping the mind inward?'

Sri Bhagwan: It is exactly the same as what I am doing now. Each time a young squirrel comes out I keep putting it back in the nest. When I got on doing it, it learns the happiness of staying in the nest. 

Dear devotees, young squirrels do not know that wisdom lies in staying in their nest, do we, the grown-ups, know that wisdom lies in remaining sunk in the Heart?

Having said that, I wish to say that moral of this anecdote is that wisdom lies in bringing the attention back onto ourselves each time mind is externalized with the rising of a thought. Therefore, we must strive to maintain the Self-attention constantly till the Self-attention becomes unceasing and effortless, which is the same as remaining sunk in the Heart. If we do it constantly enough, we certainly will gradually learn the happiness of staying in and as the Self, as the rogue cows and young squirrels learn the happiness of staying at her stall and in the nest respectively.
Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 12:01:08 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5051 on: October 03, 2017, 12:43:56 PM »
By slow approaches let him come
to rest, with patient, rock-poised Will,
His mind at home in Selfhood pure,
Let him create no thought at all.
Ch. 6, V. 25, Srimad Bhagavad Gita   

Yato yato nischarati manas chanchalam asthiram
Tatastato niyamyaitad atmanyeva vasam nayeti

Though over and over the fickle mind,
All restlessness, a-wandering goes,
Still over and over let him regain
control, and poise it back in Self.
Ch. 6, V. 26, Srimad Bhagavad Gita

Dear devotees, whenever I see Sri Bhagwan teaching thus, I always remember the two immortal Verses from the Gita as cited above.  yato yato nischarati manas, still over and over let us regain control and poise it (manas or the mind)) back in the Self. This is exactly what Sri Bhagwan taught by putting the young squirrel back in the nest each time it tried to come out, till it learnt the happiness of staying within. Then it would not stray. This is not a forcible method, but a persuasive one, to rein in the mind, just as a rogue cow is reined in and tied to her stall by persuading it with luscious fodder.
Pranam,
 Anil 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 12:45:55 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5052 on: October 03, 2017, 03:34:48 PM »
Dear devotees, the mind accustomed to stray outward by force of latent impressions accumulated since time immemorial is analogous to a rogue cow accustomed to stray into neighbour's fields to graze. As the rogue cow is tempted with fine grass in her stall itself, and gradually in this way is weaned away from wicked tendencies, so also the straying mind is tempted with the foretaste of the ensuing bliss of the Atma-swarupa or the Self as thoughts come out and exhaust themselves, if one goes deeper and deeper asking 'Who Am I? and Whence Am I?', searching without searching the Source, and endeavouring to maintain attention onto oneself all the while. Hence if you have not gone through the following holy Utterances before, please read this excerpt in Sri Bhagwan's own picturesque language described so succinctly:

"Suppose a cow plays rogue and strays into neighbours' fields to graze. She is not easily weaned from her stealthy habit. Think how she can be kept in the stall. If forcibly tethered in the stall she simply bides her time to play the rogue. If she is tempted with fine grass in the stall she takes one mouthful on the first day and again waits for the opportunity to run away. The next day she takes two mouthfuls; so she takes more and more on each succeeding day, until finally she is weaned from her wicked tendencies. When entirely free from bad habits she might be safely left free and she would not stray into neighbours' pasture land. Even when beaten in the stall, she does not afterwards leave the place. Similarly with the mind. It is accustomed to stray outward by the force of the latent vasanas manifesting as thoughts. So long as there are vasanas contained within they must come out and exhaust themselves. The thoughts comprise the mind. Searching what the mind is, the thoughts will recoil and the seeker will know that they arise from the Self. It is the aggregate of these thoughts that we call 'mind'. If one realises that the thoughts arise from the Self and abide in their source, the mind will disappear. After the mind ceases to exist and bliss of peace has been realised, one will find it then as difficult to bring out a thought, as he now finds it difficult to keep out all thoughts. Here the mind is the cow playing the rogue; the thoughts are the neighbours' pasture; one's own primal being free from thoughts is the stall."

Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 03:41:43 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5053 on: October 03, 2017, 03:42:31 PM »
Supreme form of Guru is pure nectar;
To one with the eye of discrimination;
A blind man's eyes cannot see the sun,
So is His glory hid.
Sri Guru Gita

Nishta

• View Profile
« Reply #5054 on: October 03, 2017, 03:51:10 PM »
After the mind ceases to exist and bliss of peace has been realised, one will find it then as difficult to bring out a thought, as he now finds it difficult to keep out all thoughts.

Wonderful!