Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 756411 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5025 on: September 28, 2017, 12:32:47 PM »
To be read in continuation with my previous post:

The second song that Sri Narendra sang when he first came to the great Master:

O Lord, must all my days pass by so utterly in vain?
Down the path of hope I gaze with longing, day and night.
Thou art the Lord of all the worlds, and I but a beggar here;
How can I ask of Thee to come and dwell within my heart?
My poor heart's humble cottage is standing open wide;
Be gracious, Lord, and enter there but once, and quench its thirst!

Sri M: What did He say after listening to your songs?
Sri Narendra: He went into Samadhi.

Dear devotees, Sri Narendra was indeed a ripe soul, as it were, even before he came to the Master and his Guru, Sri Ramakrishna Param Hamsa.

Who can fathom the Mysterious Ways of Great Ones! For,  I often wonder that while one great Master (Sri Ramakrishna), upon listening such divine songs, full of love and bhakti for the Lord, goes at once into Samadhi, the other Great Master (Bhagwan Sri Ramana) shed uncontrollably copious tears!!
Pranam,
 Anil       
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 12:40:40 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5026 on: September 28, 2017, 04:42:06 PM »
D: I have a toothache; is that only a thought?
Sri Bhagwan: Yes.
D: Then why can't I think that there is no toothache, and so cure myself?
Sri Bhagwan: One does not feel the toothache when one is absorbed in other thoughts or when asleep.
D: But still it remains.
Sri Bhagwan: So strong is man's conviction of the reality of the world that it is not easily shaken off. But the world is no more real than the individual who sees it.
D: At present there is a Sino-Japanese war going on. If it is only in the imagination, can or will Sri Bhagavan imagine it not to be going on and so put an end to it?
Sri Bhagwan.: (laughing) The Bhagavan of the questioner (whom the questioner sees as an external being) is as much a thought of his as the Sin-Japanese War!
D: But why should there be suffering now?
Sri Bhagwan.: If there were no suffering, how could the desire to be happy arise? If that desire did not arise, how could the quest of the Self arise?
D: Then is all suffering good?
Sri Bhagwan: Yes. What is happiness? Is it a healthy and handsome body, regular meals and so on? Even an emperor has endless troubles although he may be in good health. So all suffering is due to the false notion 'I am the body'. Getting rid of this is knowledge.

Dear devotees, in the discontented life of the ego, suffering is inevitable. Is it not? But suffering has its roles to play in the Divine Play as well. The desire to be happy arises due to suffering. Thus Sri Bhagwan has taught that it is suffering that makes a man discontented and even disgusted with the illusory life of the ego, which spurs him on to go inward and seek Self-realization.

It is very difficult to accept that the body and the objective world are unreal. But the world is only as real as the individual who sees it. This is why Sri Bhagwan has taught the Self-enquiry, which culminates into revelation that neither really exists the individual and his body nor the world. Self alone exists, naught else whatsoever. 

Pranam,
  Anil

« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 04:44:59 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #5027 on: September 28, 2017, 05:30:31 PM »
Anilbhai/Friends,
In 'appalam Pattu' (appalam Song),Sri Bhagavan says :

Appalam Ittu paru,aththai sappittu
un asaiyai teeru

Ippuvi thannil yengi thiriyaamal(Not to hanker and wander in this world)
Sat Bodha Sukha Sat guruvanavar/
seppaadhu sonna tattuvamaagira/
Oppuyarvillaa Or mozhiyin padi........(Refrain:Appalam Ittu paru)

Try your hand fashioning  appalam-
That you may eat and  your desire fulfill.

Not to hanker and  wander in this world -
but to abide by that one word Peerless
;
The Tatva unspokenly spoken by the  Satguru
Who is  Truth Consciousness Bliss.

We discussed this in this forum in 2013:
http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=7893.0

The Song that Narendra sang expresses the same theme as above:

Let us go back once more, O mind, to our own abode!
Here in this foreign land of earth
Why should we wander aimlessly in stranger's guise?

Namaskar

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #5028 on: September 28, 2017, 06:05:58 PM »
suffering is very complicated and requires much practice ... truth is simple and cannot be practiced
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #5029 on: September 28, 2017, 06:53:00 PM »
Beloved Abstract,

suffering is very complicated and requires much practice ... truth is simple and cannot be practiced

Truth cannot be even uttered or commented upon as even 'simple'...so Sri Bhagavan is saying 'satbodha satguru seppaadhu sonna oppuyarvillaa Or Mozhi'(The Peerless word unspokenly spoken by the satguru who is Sat chit Ananda or Truth Consciousness Bliss 'Sat Bodha Sukha').

Effort is not needed to abide as Truth but it is needed to shed the Falsehood or ignorance...Suffering is on account of ignorance and is concomitant with it and needs no separate practice.

Namaskar

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5030 on: September 29, 2017, 08:47:14 AM »
Quote from Sri Ravi:
"Truth cannot be even uttered or commented upon as even 'simple'...so Sri Bhagavan is saying 'satbodha satguru seppaadhu sonna oppuyarvillaa Or Mozhi'(The Peerless word unspokenly spoken by the satguru who is Sat chit Ananda or Truth Consciousness Bliss 'Sat Bodha Sukha').
Effort is not needed to abide as Truth but it is needed to shed the Falsehood or ignorance...Suffering is on account of ignorance and is concomitant with it and needs no separate practice."

Dear Sri Beloved Abstract,

This is, in my view also, quite an apt and adequate response.

D: At present there is a Sino-Japanese war going on. If it is only in the imagination, can or will Sri Bhagavan imagine it not to be going on and so put an end to it?

Sri Bhagwan.: (laughing) The Bhagavan of the questioner (whom the questioner sees as an external being) is as much a thought of his as the Sin-Japanese War!

Dear Sri Beloved Abstract, do you see the problem of and difficulty with the concepts of the relative world? Truth, as It is, cannot be predicated at all. It is (The Peerless Word Unspokenly Spoken by the Satguru). That's all.

Dear friend, suffering is also the part and parcel of the story of what you call the little self. It is certainly owing to ignorance only and is concomitant with it, and no separate effort therefore is needed to tackle it, as Sri Ravi said so beautifully.  This little self is not apart from the real Self; it is only a shadow of the Self, and therefore, it cannot be destroyed by itself. Though unreal and illusory, it cannot be easily wished away as you seem to suggest. It will go away by making effort to get rid of the ignorance in the form of the ego, as taught and prescribed by the Sadguru, and come to our own Abode. And if it happens, suffering is transcended.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil   
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 08:53:03 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5031 on: September 29, 2017, 01:18:21 PM »
Sri Narendra (Sri Vivekananda) sang:

I salute the Eternal Teacher, who is the Embodiment of the Bliss
of Brahman,
The Essence of Knowledge and liberation, the Giver of Supreme
Joy;
Who is all-pervading, like the akasa, and is the goal of the Vedanta's
teaching;

Who is One, eternal, stainless, pure, and is the constant Witness
Of all things;
Who dwells beyond all moods, transcending the three gunas.

Sri Narendra sang again:

There is none higher than the Guru, none better than the Guru;
This is what Siva has declared.

I sing of the blessed Guru, the Supreme Brahman;
I shall worship the blessed Guru, the Supreme Brahman;
I shall meditate on the blessed Guru, the Supreme Brahman
I shall bow down to the blessed Guru, the Supreme Brahman. 

As Sri Narendra sang these Verses from the Guru Gita in his melodious voice, the minds of the devotees became steady, like a candle flame in a windless place.

Source: The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5032 on: September 29, 2017, 02:08:38 PM »
Don't roam the world disconsolate.
Heed the word, unique, unspoken
Taught by the teacher true who teaches
The truth of Being-Awareness-Bliss.

From the first stanza of the Song of Poppadum

One syllable shines forever in the Heart as Self.
Who is there anywhere who can write it down?
V. 1, Nine Stray Verses

Dear Sri Ravi,

"Not to hanker and  wander in this world -
but to abide by that one word Peerless;
The Tatva unspokenly spoken by the  Satguru
Who is  Truth Consciousness Bliss."

This is indeed a very beautiful translation of the first stanza of the Song of Poppadum. This translation, I feel, is better than what is contained in the Collected Works, as cited above, and its profundity is easily discernible. Yes, the One Syllable, that One Peerless Tattva, unspokenly spoken by the Satguru, is the Self or 'I', or the Being, beyond thought, word and expression. That is, It can be communicated in Silence of the Self alone, by the Sadguru who is Himself Being-Awareness-Bliss, for It Itself is Silence. 

Thanks very much, dear Sri Ravi.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 02:12:00 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #5033 on: September 29, 2017, 09:09:44 PM »
enjoy your stories   :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 10:10:59 PM by Beloved Abstract »
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5034 on: September 29, 2017, 11:26:21 PM »
Thank you. I hope you are enjoying that of yours. Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5035 on: September 30, 2017, 12:09:58 PM »
By merely remembering the Sadguru,
Spontaneous knowledge will dawn in thee;
Attaining Him, all will be attained;
Salutations I offer Him.
Sri Guru Gita

Dear Devotees,

"Arunachala! Bestow upon me through your Grace the Knowledge of the Oneness of Atman and Brahman, so that my mind, which is affected by worldly impressions, may be freed from those impressions and take on the fragrance of Brahman, in which the world is not."
V. 69, Sri Arunachala Aksharamanamali 

Sri Muruganar has commented that 'fragrance of Brahman' here means 'the pure experience of Brahman', and 'Knowledge of the Oneness of Atman and Brahman' means marriage with Brahman, or merging as One, Union, that is to say, union of Atman and Brahman. The Verse implies that this union or merging of Atman and Brahman is absolutely essential for the experience of Brahman to arise, for, in the nature of their being, souls and Brahman are one and the same. So, Sri Bhagwan sings, 'Through your Grace, grant me the union with Brahman, so that I may take on the fragrance of Brahman'.

Dear devotees, Sri Muruganar says that three Verses in the beginning, middle and end of this work (Aksharamanamalai), i.e. the Invocation, this Verse (69) and the Verse 108, stand out uniquely, more so than any of the other Verses, as clues for how this great work got its name as Marriage Garland (Marital Garland of Letters). 

"Arunachala! The moment your Name 'Arunachala' came into my mind, you snared me with the rope of your Grace and drew me to You. Who could fathom the greatness of such Grace as yours?"
V. 70, Sri Arunachala Aksharamanamalai

Dear devotees, Bhagwan Sri Ramana often pointed to Sri Arunachala as His Guru whenever a devotee remarked that Sri Bhagwan had no Guru. Well, the Verse from the Guru Gita cited at the top of this post and this Verse are, in my view, same in meaning and essence. Therefore, this Verse and the Verse from Sri Guru Gita clearly delineate the great reward that is obtained by mere remembrance of the Name, Sri Arunachala or of one's Guru, for both Paramataman Sri Arunachala and the Guru are one and the same. Name opens the door to the Realization of that Peerless Tattva.

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan asks in the above Verse, 'Who could fathom the greatness of such Grace?'  It only means that unless and until one has the experience of being drawn and held by that Grace, the greatness of such Divine Grace cannot become evident to him clearly.

Note: Dear devotees, before I came to Sri Bhagwan, I had been spiritually such a novice that I didn't really understand the greatness of the Guru's Grace, and didn't know that Guru, God and the Self are one and the same, though I also recited, on certain occasions, with others: Guru is Brahma, Vishnu. Mahesha, Father, Mother, etc. Realizing Guru's Grace, beyond doubt, I went to a bookstore in Patna, and bought the booklet 'Sri Guru Gita', and I memorized some of the Verses of this great work in original Sanskrit, and I still retain them in my memory, to this date.   

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil         
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 12:38:00 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5036 on: September 30, 2017, 12:38:52 PM »
The crest-jewels of all scriptures,
Serve but to decorate the Guru's feet;
He is the sun with His rays of light,
He opens the lotus of Truth.

Sri Guru Gita

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5037 on: September 30, 2017, 03:31:22 PM »
With great eagerness and wonder you fly to see one Mahatma here and another Mahatma there! If you inquire, attain and know the Maha-Atma [i.e. the Great Self] within your own heart, then every Mahatma is none other than that One [within you].
V. 121, Guru Vachaka Kovai

You yourself are a mere thought; therefore he who is considered by you to be a Mahatma (a Jnani) is nothing but one of your (the thought's) thoughts! How then can such an illusory thought be an Atma-jnani, the Supreme? Thus should you understand.
V. 2, Yar Jnani?  (Who is a Jnani?), Sri Sadhu Om

No matter how many Mahatmas you visit and no matter even if they exhibit the eightfold occult powers (ashta slddhis) know that the true Mahatma is only He who turns your attention Selfwards, advising, "Mind not these juggleries, turn within".
V. 5, Yar Jnani?  (Who is a Jnani?), Sri Sadhu Om

Let this atma (the man) who goes to the Himalaya's and the forests therein in search of Mahatmas first become a Sukhatma (a blissful one) by entering within himself enquiring 'Whence am I?'. Then all the Mahatmas who appear before him will be found to be his own Atma (Self) ! Thus said, Sri Ramana !
V. 5, Yar Jnani?  (Who is a Jnani?), Sri Sadhu Om

Dear devotees, Sri Sadhu Om sings in another song that on enquiry, it will be found that Jnana itself is the Jnani. Therefore, he exhorts that by means of proper enquiry, the mind which tries to know 'This one or that one is a Jnani' should first be destroyed. It is therefore proper to know through Silence (Summa Iru) that the Jnana (the Consciousness) which never rises as 'I am this or that' Itself is the Jnani ! Therefore, Consciousness Itself is the Jnani alone!!!

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 03:37:54 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5038 on: September 30, 2017, 04:08:58 PM »
Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan Himself enjoined that the Bhagwan of the questioner, whom he sees as the body externally, was as much a thought of his (of the questioner) as the Sino-Japanese war!  He therefore is the Truth-Consciousness. It therefore follows that Being-Consciousness Itself is both Jnana as well as the Jnani. It follows as well that the Self alone knows the Self, for It alone IS.  Anil
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 07:01:19 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5039 on: October 01, 2017, 11:17:16 AM »
Sri Trailokya sang:

O Mother, I hide myself in Thy loving bosom;
I gaze at Thy face and cry out, "Mother! Mother!"
I sink in the sea of Bliss and am lost to sense
In yoga-sleep, I gaze with unwinking eyes
Upon Thy face, powerless to turn away.
O Mother, I am terrified by this world;
My spirits trembles and cries out in fear.
Keep me sweet Mother, in Thy loving bosom;
Cover me with the spreading skirt of Thy love.

The Master shed tears of love and cried out, "Ah me! Ah me!"
Source: The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

Sri Bhagwan implores Sri Arunachala thus, "Tear of these robes, expose me naked, then robe me with Thy love, Oh, Arunachala!"

Dear devotees, robe means garb of ignorance. When one is stripped of the garb of ignorance completely, the Self is revealed.  So, Sri Bhagwan implores Sri Arunachala to disrobe naked and then cover with the robe of love which is same as garment of Grace whose form is clear Awareness.

Dear devotees, I am also terrified of and disillusioned with the world. Hence I keep on praying to the Mother in form of my Guru to disrobe me of the ignorance and robe with the garment of His Grace. And I feel that taking up Vichara spontaneously is only the grant of the Guru's Grace, which is same as the spreading skirt of His love. 
Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 11:20:03 AM by eranilkumarsinha »