Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758838 times)

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5010 on: September 25, 2017, 10:35:45 PM »
Thanks Sri Anil.Since the treacherous ego mind will not try to annihilate itself,it is clear that self enquiry and its practice is divinely inspired. Once we are graced  with it,the death of the ego in due course ,is a foregone conclusion. We can be rest assured that the. ego will not trouble us for long.
Sundaram Anand

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5011 on: September 26, 2017, 09:07:07 AM »
Dear Sri Anand, I do not think that 'forgone conclusion' is an appropriate phrase to be used in the realm of spirituality, for, like in everything worth attainment, there are obstacles to be overcome in the way.  Besides, Guru's Grace is primary and the essential cause. What is meant is that if one practices Sri Bhagwan's Atma-vichara, with love for Him in the heart, with Faith in His Teaching, and with perseverance, Self-enquiry being its own guide, will certainly cut the root of ignorance in the form of ego or the 'I'-conceit. Since this self-limitation is only a notion, or an imagination, Self-enquiry is potent enough to destroy this notion for once and all. A mere notion cannot limit the infinite Swarupa or the Self for long, for, when this false notion is scrutinized in the intense searchlight of the Self-enquiry, it is found to be non-existent, and what remains is the Fullness of Consciousness, or the Self-Consciousness, and that is the attainment of the ever attained Natural State, Sri Bhagwan speaks of.
Pranam,
 Anil     
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 09:09:20 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5012 on: September 26, 2017, 12:00:42 PM »
Sri Bhagwan: The thought-free state is one's primal state and full of bliss. Is it not miserable to leave such a state for the thought-ridden and unhappy one?

Dear Devotees,

Yes, thought-ridden waking state is too miserable and unhappy one indeed. A man fast asleep is free of thoughts and therefore enjoys the bliss of the sleep, such that he hates to be awakened from sleep, and those who try to disturb are asked to mind their own business. Are they not? The bliss of the thought-free state is too good to be disturbed. This is why the bliss of the sleep is too enthralling to be sacrificed to the actions born of thoughts. 

However, it is also true that whenever a person sits to either meditate or practice Enquiry, thoughts rush up in hordes, and it appears like an avalanche of thoughts. The attempt to penetrate through the barrage of thoughts appears very difficult, if not impossible, in the beginning. This is why Sri Bhagwan has taught that if one wants to abide in thought-free state, a struggle is inevitable. One must fight one's way through the thoughts to regain one's original primal state.

Yet, rise of thoughts are taken advantage of by the practiser of the Self-enquiry to become aware of the real Self. How? Sri Bhagwan has enlightened that without the Sakti vyapara or the Movement of the Power, the Real is not apprehended. Therefore, while attempting to maintain Self-attention, and searching what the ego-mind is and searching dynamically its Source, thoughts arise and recoil, and if the seeker is attentive and alert, he will gradually know that they arise from the Self. And this is the beginning of His apprehension. And Sri Bhagwan has assured that apprehending the Self even vaguely helps the extinction of the ego.  So, with practice if one realizes that the thoughts arise from the Self, and thus practices to abide in the Source, the thoughts will subside in the Self and the mind itself will disappear entirely.

Sri Bhagwan: The thoughts are the enemy. They amount to the creation of the Universe. In their absence there is neither the world nor God the Creator. The Bliss of the Self is the single Being only.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil     
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 12:07:07 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5013 on: September 26, 2017, 03:42:23 PM »
Dear devotees, what follows is an excerpt from the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

Sri Ramakrishna Param Hamsa:
"The jnanis, who adhere to the non-dualistic philosophy of Vedanta, say that the acts of creation, preservation, and destruction, the universe itself and all its living beings, are the manifestation of Sakti, the Divine Power. If you reason it out, you will realize that all these are as illusory as a dream. Brahman alone is the Reality, and all else is unreal. Even this very Sakti is unsubstantial, like a dream."

"But though you reason all your life, unless you are established in samadhi, you cannot go beyond the jurisdiction of Sakti. Even when you say, 'I am meditating', or 'I am contemplating', still you are moving in the realm of Sakti, within Its power."

"Thus Brahman and Sakti are identical. If you accept the one, you must accept the other. It is like fire and its power to burn. If you see the fire, you must recognize its power to burn also. You cannot think of fire without its power to burn, nor can you think of the power to burn without fire. You cannot conceive of the sun's rays without the sun, nor can you conceive of the sun without its rays."

"Thus one cannot think of Brahman without Sakti, or of Sakti without Brahman. One cannot think of the Absolute without the Relative, or of the Relative without the Absolute."

"The Primordial Power is ever at play. She is creating, preserving, and destroying in play, as it were. This power is called Kali. Kali is verily Brahman, and Brahman is verily Kali. It is one and the same Reality. When we think of It as inactive, that is to say, not engaged in the acts of creation, preservation, and destruction, then we call, It Brahman. But when It engages in these activities, we call It Kali or Sakti. The Reality is one and the same; difference is in name and form."   

Dear devotees,  Sri Param Hamsa says that some address the Reality as 'Allah', some as 'God', some as 'Brahman', some as 'Kali', and others by such names as 'Rama', 'Jesus', 'Durga', 'Hari'. How often we have seen Sri Bhagwan's Utterances, regarding His Teaching on Siva and Sakti, or the Powerful and the Power, echoed the same as above, in meaning and import! That is why one addresses the Guru, who is none other than the Self or Brahman, as Father, Mother, and everything, that is to say, All, at once, in One.   
Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 03:47:28 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5014 on: September 26, 2017, 04:34:28 PM »
Arunachala! The moment I thought of you, as 'Arunachala', I was caught up in the net of your Grace. Designed to ensnare devotees, can that net of Grace fail in its work, however slightly?
V. 102, Sri Arunachala Aksharamanamalai

Dear devotees, Sri Muruganar, while commenting upon the above Verse, has written that as Sri Manikkavachagar declares in Tiruvachakam, Hymn 3, 1. 42, "Behold He will be trapped in the net of devotion", Sri Arunachala's devotees are also planning to snare Him in the net of their devotion through love. However, before they can do so, He has already devised a stratagem to trap and hold them in the net of His Grace. It is through this means that they (devotees) gain the power to meditate upon Him. Sri Muruganar concludes this commentary with the following Verse from Tevaram:

My Lord knew nothing about me.
I too knew nothing about Him before.
But the moment He knew me as His devotee,
I too came to know Him as my Lord.
5.91. V. 8

Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 04:36:05 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #5015 on: September 26, 2017, 07:00:21 PM »
Anilbhai/Friends,
Nice to see you covering excerpts from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna and drawing parallel with Bhagavan's self enquiry...and you have highlighted this particular excerpt in your post in this thread on 25th september :
As is man's meditation, so is his feeling of love;
As is man's feeling of love, so is his gain,
And faith is the root of all......

you have asked :"Dear devotees, will someone explain the meaning and import of the first line of the first stanza, as cited above 'As is man's meditation, so is his feeling of love'?"

This is a very very important question that you have raised...especially in the context of vichara...and it will be helpful to refer the entire chapter 3 of The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna to bring out the true import and essence of what the Master is conveying.
In this chapter,the master goes to meet Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar,the noble philanthrophist and a vastly learned person!...Sri Ramakrishna used to seek  out persons and go and visit them in their homes...Such an ocean of compassion was the master!.

On meeting Vidyasagar,the master says "Ah! Today, at last, I have come to the ocean.  Up till now I have seen only canals, marshes, or a river at the most.  But today I am face to face with the sagar, the ocean."(All laugh.) ('Vidyasagar' means 'ocean of knowledge).

We may refer the entire chapter here: http://www.belurmath.org/gospel/chapter03.htm

If we go through this chapter,we find that the master is relentlessly driving home the Essence...God cannot be attained through study or learning;only through faith and Love one may realize Him.

The Master says:"There is nothing in mere scholarship.  The object of study is to find means of knowing God and realizing Him.  A holy man had a book.  When asked what it contained, he opened it and showed that on all the pages were written the words 'Om Rama', and nothing else.

"What is the significance of the Gita? It is what you find by repeating the word ten times.  It is then reversed into 'tagi', which means a person who has renounced everything for God.  And the lesson of.  the Gita is: 'O man, renounce everything and seek God alone.' Whether a man is a monk or a householder, he has to shake off all attachment from his mind.

"Chaitanyadeva set out on a pilgrimage to southern India.  One day he saw a man reading the Gita.  Another man, seated at a distance, was listening and weeping.  His eyes were swimming in tears.  Chaitanyadeva asked him, 'Do you understand all this?' The man said, 'No, revered sir, I don't understand a word of the text.' 'Then why are you crying?' asked Chaitanya.  The devotee said: 'I see Arjuna's chariot before me.  I see Lord Krishna and Arjuna seated in front of it, talking.  I see this and I weep.'

The context and import of the song that Anilbhai has posted may be covered in the following posts....
continued....
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 07:26:10 PM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #5016 on: September 26, 2017, 07:16:24 PM »
Excerpt from Chapter 3 'Visit to Vidyasagar' in The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

The Master continued: "Faith and devotion.  One realizes God easily through devotion.  He is grasped through ecstasy of love."

With these words the Master sang again:

How are you trying, O my mind, to know the nature of God?
You are groping like a madman locked in a dark room. 
He is grasped through ecstatic love; how can you fathom Him without it?
Only through affirmation, never negation, can you know Him;
Neither through Veda nor through Tantra nor the six darsanas.

It is in love's elixir only that He delights, O mind;
He dwells in the body's inmost depths, in Everlasting Joy. 
And, for that love, the mighty yogis practise yoga from age to age;
When love awakes, the Lord, like a magnet, draws to Him the soul.

He it is, says Ramprasad, that I approach as Mother;
But must I give away the secret, here in the marketplace?
From the hints I have given, O mind, guess what that Being is!

While singing, the Master went into samādhi.  He was seated on the bench, facing west, the palms of his hands joined together, his body erect and motionless.  Everyone watched him expectantly.  Vidyasagar, too, was speechless and could not take his eyes from the Master.

The Master always lives what he speaks and in this way demonstrates what it is to get immersed in the subject matter..."As is man's meditation, so is his feeling of love"
continued...

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #5017 on: September 26, 2017, 07:24:43 PM »
Excerpts from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna continued...
Brahman and Śakti are identical
After a time Sri Ramakrishna showed signs of regaining the normal state.  He drew a deep breath and said with a smile: "The means of realizing God are ecstasy of love and devotion - that is, one must love God.  He who is Brahman is addressed as the Mother.

He it is, says Ramprasad, that I approach as Mother;
But must I give away the secret, here in the market-place?
From the hints I have given, O mind, guess what that Being is!

"Ramprasad asks the mind only to guess the nature of God.  He wishes it to understand that what is called Brahman in the Vedas is addressed by Him as the Mother.  He who is attributeless also has attributes.  He who is Brahman is also Śakti.  When thought of as inactive, He is called Brahman, and when thought of as the Creator, Preserver, and Destroyer, He is called the Primordial Energy, Kāli.

"Brahman and Śakti are identical, like fire and its power to burn.  When we talk of fire we automatically mean  also its power to burn.  Again, the fire's power to burn implies the fire itself.  If you accept the one you must accept the other.

"Brahman alone is addressed as the Mother.  This is because a mother is an object of great love.  One is able to realize God just through love.  Ecstasy of feeling, devotion, love, and faith - these are the means.  Listen to a song:

As is a man's meditation, so is his feeling of love;
As is a man's feeling of love, so is his gain;
And faith is the root of all. 
If in the Nectar Lake of Mother Ka1i's feet
My mind remains immersed,
Of little use are worship, oblations, or sacrifice.

Growth of divine love lessens worldly duties
"What is needed is absorption in God - loving Him intensely.  The 'Nectar Lake' is the Lake of Immortality.  A man sinking in It does not die, but becomes immortal.  Some people believe that by thinking of God too much the mind becomes deranged; but that is not true.  God is the Lake of Nectar, the Ocean of Immortality.  He is called the 'Immortal' in the Vedas.  Sinking in It, one does not die, but verily transcends death. 

If a man  comes to love God, he need not trouble himself much about these activities.  One needs a fan only as long as there is no breeze.  The fan may be laid aside if the southern breeze blows.  Then what need is there of a fan?
(To Vidyasagar) "The activities that you are engaged in are good.  It is very good if you can perform them in a selfless spirit, renouncing egotism, giving up the idea that you are the doer.  Through such action one develops love and devotion to God, and ultimately realizes Him.

"The more you come to love God, the less you will be inclined to perform action.  When the daughter-in-law is with child, her mother-in-law gives her less work to do.  As time goes by she is given less and less work.  When the time of delivery nears, she is not allowed to do any work at all, lest it should hurt the child or cause difficulty at the time of birth.

"By these philanthropic activities you are really doing good to yourself.  If you can do them disinterestedly, your mind will become pure and you will develop love of God.  As soon as you have that love you will realize Him."

The essence is in this saying of the Master:"What is needed is absorption in God - loving Him intensely.  The 'Nectar Lake' is the Lake of Immortality.  A man sinking in It does not die, but becomes immortal"

Meditation is this absorption in God...and the deeper it is ,so is the feeling of Love...Love itself is the means and the end...without Love,it is not possible to be absorbed in God.
continued...

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #5018 on: September 26, 2017, 07:45:08 PM »
Anilbhai/Friends,
There is this wonderful verse of the Great Yogi Tirumoolar  (Tirumanthiram):

அன்பும் சிவமும் இரண்டு என்பர்  அறிவிலார்
அன்பே சிவம் ஆவது யாரும் அறிகிலார்
அன்பே சிவம் ஆவது யாரும் அறிந்தபின்
அன்பே சிவமாய்  அமர்ந்து இருந்தாரே   

Anbum Sivamum irandu enbar arivilaar
Anbe Sivam aavadu yaarum arikilaar
Anbe Sivam aavadu yaarum arindapin
Anbe Sivam aai amarndu irundaare.    [verse 270]

Love and Sivam are two-say the Ignorant
Love alone is Sivam-None knows
After  Knowing  Love is Sivam
Such a one abides in Love as Sivam.

To 'know' Sivam is to meditate on Sivam and to love Sivam and to abide as Sivam...this is 'vichara'

Namaskar

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5019 on: September 27, 2017, 12:30:26 PM »
As is a man's meditation, so is his feeling of love;
And faith is the root of all. 
If in the Nectar Lake of Mother Ka1i's feet
My mind remains immersed,

Dear Sri Ravi,

Quote:
"Meditation is this absorption in God...and the deeper it is ,so is the feeling of Love...Love itself is the means and the end...without Love, it is not possible to be absorbed in God."

I read and reread your posts several times this morning, and I am so overwhelmed with feeling that I do not find words spontaneously to seek to describe it. Thank you so much, bhai sahib.  It seems to me that Vichara is opening slowly but surely the floodgate of love, without there being an object of love in form. I needed something to affirm the feeling and thus to completely identify with the feeling of love, trickling now but with an unmistakable hint of of an impending surge. So, hearing the voice of intuition from within, I at once turned to the Gospel, a veritable treasure of wisdom, once again, to sip and assimilate the nectarine Utterances of the great Master, Sri Ramakrishna on love, devotion and faith.

When I had been going through the Chapter 3, I came across the lines
"As is a man's meditation, so is his feeling of love;
And faith is the root of all."
And I was wonderstruck. I palpably experienced an echo from within and hence raised the question for an explanation as to its meaning and import. And what a wonderful explanation you have posted! Yes, indeed! As the meditation rises higher or goes deeper, so also feeling of love deepens and one begins to have a foretaste of non-dual, pure love Sri Bhagwan Ramana speaks of. So, how apt! As is a seeker's meditation, so is his feeling of love, and so is his real gain.     

Quote:
"Love and Sivam are two-say the Ignorant
After  Knowing  Love is Sivam
Such a one abides in Love as Sivam."

Quote from Sri Ravi:
"To 'know' Sivam is to meditate on Sivam and to love Sivam and to abide as Sivam...this is 'vichara'".

Dear Sri Ravi bhai saheb, I have always learnt an invaluable spiritual lesson or two from you. Yes, to abide as Sivam or the Self, one must love Him. To mediate on Sivam and to abide in Love as Sivam, jettisoning the ego, are indeed the real Vichara!

Master: "The means of realizing God are ecstasy of love and devotion - that is, one must love God."

Quote from Sri Ravi: "What is needed is absorption in God - loving Him intensely.  The 'Nectar Lake' is the Lake of Immortality.  A man sinking in It does not die, but becomes immortal"

Dear Sri Ravi, yes, I understood and grasped long ago that a sadhna devoid of love, devotion and faith is no sadhana at all, and such a dry sadhana, whether it be Vichara or Yoga or Japa, etc., will hardly be of any avail to a seeker or a devotee.

Thanks again, bhai saheb.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 12:48:07 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5020 on: September 27, 2017, 01:03:17 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi, as exemplified by Sri Bhagwan Himself, and affirmed by so many of His old and present devotees, I have also, without any doubt, understood from the very beginning that the Atma-vichara, as taught by Bhagwan Sri Ramana, is a grand fusion of Prema and Jnana or Love and Knowledge, and that Love is the Mother of Knowledge, for both, in essence, are one and the same. Anil

Nishta

• View Profile
« Reply #5021 on: September 27, 2017, 03:41:08 PM »
Love itself is the means and the end

It seems to me that Vichara is opening slowly but surely the floodgate of love, without there being an object of love in form.

Love doesn?t appear to be a word used so much by practitioners of Vichara.
Although, we can say Vichara is Love, Self is Love.
Without this understanding, Vichara is quite desolate.

But what is it to say, Self is Love?
I suspect we could translate, "all is Self", "there is only Self."

Somehow, I find Vichara to be more and more Love.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5022 on: September 27, 2017, 04:12:22 PM »
Quote:
"Love doesn't appear to be a word used so much by practitioners of Vichara."
"Somehow, I find Vichara to be more and more Love."

Dear Sri Nishta, Yes, practitioners of Vichara generally do not mention the word 'love' in their discourses. But that does not mean that they do not love their Self. Sri Bhagwan has taught, and they know that if they have to abide in the Self as the Self, they must love the Self. Without love, absorption is impossible, as taught the great Master Sri Ramakrishna.

Yes, Self is Love. Therefore, Vichara is at once both Love and Knowledge, which, in fact, are one and the same . However, I cannot agree with you more, for if you find Vichara to be more and more Love, this, in my view, is progress.
Pranam,
 Anil   
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 04:14:06 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5023 on: September 27, 2017, 04:16:38 PM »
Sage Sri Vasistha to Sri Rama:
The notion of 'I' is utter ignorance; it blocks the path to nirvana or liberation. Yet the foolish man endeavours with the help of this darkness of ignorance to find the light of truth! The investigation of the ego sense reveals its limitation and conditioned nature, or its total absence. It is found only in the ignorant and not in the knower of truth. The knower of truth, on the other hand, exists in the embodied or disembodied state without the least anxiety or sorrow, having totally abandoned the notion of the ego. There is no fear of destruction in the battle painted on a canvas: even so when the knower of truth is established in inner equanimity, activity does not affect him. In the case of the liberated sage, even the manifestations of conditioned behaviour are apparent, not real. As in the case of the mantle of a gas-lamp, which retains its form and shape though it has really been burnt to ashes, the liberated sage's personality is no-personality, his mind is no-mind and his conditioning is truly unconditioned. It is Brahman and naught else. He who rests in total peace within, though apparently engaged in diverse activities externally, is liberated.

Dear devotees, when a person's sadhana, at long last, culminates in the surrender of his personality to That, that is to say, if the ego is jettisoned, what remains is the Self. Such a liberated man's personality therefore is no-personality, which in truth, is the Mighty Impersonality. Likewise, such a one's mind is said to be no-mind which is, in fact, the Pure mind. Pure Mind is verily Absolute Consciousness. Remember, Pure mind is akin to empty sky or space. Thoughts in the Pure Mind therefore correspond to objects in the pure sky or space. This is why the Mind of a Sage (Pure Mind) is known verily as Brahman. This is what is meant by Biblical Precept or Mahavakya 'I  AM  THAT  I  AM.' 
Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 04:22:40 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5024 on: September 28, 2017, 11:49:34 AM »
Sri M: You must remember your first visit to Him (Sri Ramakrisna).
Sri Narendra (Sri Vivekananda): Yes, It was at the temple garden at Dakshineshwar, in His own room. That day I sang two songs.
Sri Narendra sang them for M:

Let us go back once more, O mind, to our own abode!
Here in this foreign land of earth
Why should we wander aimlessly in stranger's guise?

These living beings round about, and the five elements,
Are strangers to you, all of them; none is your own.
Why do you thus forget yourself?
why do you thus forget your own?

Ascend the path of truth, O mind! Unflaggingly climb,
With Love as the lamp to light your way.

As your provision for the journey, bring with you
The virtues, carefully concealed, for, like two highwaymen,
Greed and delusion wait to rob you of your wealth.

And keep beside you constantly,
As guards to shelter you from harm,
Calmness of mind and self-control.

Companionship with holy men will be for you
A welcome rest-house by the road;
These rest your weary limbs awhile, asking your way,
If ever you should be in doubt, of him who watches there.
If anything along the path should frighten you,
Then loudly shout the name of the Lord;

For He is the ruler of the road,
And even Death must bow to Him.

Source: The Gospel of Sri Ramamkrishna
(This post to be concluded in my next post)

Dear devotees, the first song that Sri Vivekananda sang when he first came to the Master is indeed a wonderful poem.

"Let us go back once more, O mind, to our own abode!
Here in this foreign land of earth
Why should we wander aimlessly in stranger's guise?"

What a precious question to ask! Yes, why should we?

"If ever you should be in doubt, of him who watches there.
If anything along the path should frighten you,
Then loudly shout the name of the Lord;"

Dear devotees, if ever we have doubt, and if anything along the Path should frighten us, we must at once remember Him, Bhagwan Sri Ramana, who lights the Path, and highway robbers greed and delusion as well as doubt and fear will flee away. This is the common experience of almost all His devotees.
Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 11:54:33 AM by eranilkumarsinha »