Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 755697 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #4995 on: September 21, 2017, 05:14:29 PM »
The great Master Sri Ramakrishna Param Hamsa:
Man may be likened to grain. He has fallen between the millstones and is about to be crushed. Only the few grains that stay near the peg escape.  Therefore men should take refuge at the peg, that is to say, in God. Call on Him. Sing His Name. Then you will be free. Otherwise you will be crushed by the King of Death.

The Master then sang:

Mother! Mother! My boat is sinking, here in the ocean of this
World;
Fiercely the hurricane of delusion rages on every side!
Clumsy is my helmsman, the mind; stubborn my six oarsmen, the
Passions;
Into a pitiless wind
I sailed my boat, and now it is sinking!
Split is the rudder of devotion; tattered is the sail of faith;
Into my boat the waters are pouring! Tell me, what shall I do?
For with my failing eyes, alas! Nothing but darkness do I see.
Here in the waves I will swim,
O mother, and cling to the raft of Thy name!

Source: The Gospel Of Sri Ramakrishna

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: September 22, 2017, 12:25:19 PM »
Arunachala! Enchanting me, as if stupefying me with magic powder, you plundered my jiva consciousness and caused your Siva consciousness to shine.
V. 73, Sri Arunachala Aksharamanamalai, Tr. By Sri Robert Butler

Arunachala! Dispelling my mind's delusion, which was like black darkness, with the subjugating collyrium of your grace, you held that mind in thrall to your supreme Self.
V. 84, Sri Arunachala Aksharamanamalai, tr. By Sri Robert Butler

What was it if not you, who, without any of those around me knowing, brought my mind to a state of stupefaction and stole it away in the form of your own Self.
V. 89, Sri Arunachala Aksharamanamalai, Tr. By Sri Robert Butler

Dear  Devotees,

The meaning and import of all the tree verses above are, in my view, the same: Sri Arunachala brings one to silence, destroying the mind, through His Grace, without any of those around such a one knowing! Since the work of Grace is always within, and therefore, is secret, it cannot be known in an external sense by anyone.
Shiva Consciousness is the Real, Indivisible, Indestructible and Fullness of Consciousness in which the jiva consciousness appears and disappears. Sri Arunachala brings about the disappearance of the jiva consciousness in order that Shiva Consciousness may shine, enchanting one with magic powder of His Grace. Shiva Consciousness, the Substratum, will not shine forth as long as jiva consciousness, which is nothing other than the perception of diversity, perceived and known by the fragmentary and transient 'I'-consciousness of the jivas, disappears by the work of His Grace, just as the substratum rope cannot be seen so long as the superimposed snake is seen.  Sri Bhagwan has enlightened that the jiva consciousness, that is, the fragmentary personal 'I' consciousness arises within the Shiva Consciousness, or the Self or the Atma-swarupa, on account of forgetfulness of one's real nature.
This jiva consciousness, the mental awareness in the form of ego, is so deeply entrenched that it cannot be eliminated except with the pure magic of His Holy Grace.

Dear devotees, as per my understanding of Sri Bhagwan's Teaching, if one is able to remember God, if one loves God, and meditates on Him in the heart, it is, beyond doubt whatever, the work of His Grace alone. And, of course, if one is seized with divine fervour to know the Real Self, takes up Enquiry irreversibly and fully convinced, and becomes Self-aware, this, indeed, is the Work of His Grace. Such is the greatness of divine Grace, which, in my view, is the same as God's or Guru's Grace.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 12:30:22 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4997 on: September 22, 2017, 12:36:45 PM »
Dear devotees, the great Poet, Sri Muruganar has cited following two verses from Sri Tirumular's Tirumantiram, as classic examples of the mutually exclusive nature of jiva consciousness and Shiva Consciousness:

A beautiful gold ornament makes the gold (it is made of).
A beautiful gold ornament vanishes in the gold (it is made of).
The faculties of mind mask the Self.
The faculties of mind vanish in the Self.
V. 2289

A great elephant masks the wood (it is made of).
A great rutting elephant vanishes in the wood (it is made of).
Earth and other elements mask the Supreme.
Earth and the other elements vanish in the Supreme.
V. 2290

Dear devotees, I wonder that if translation is so beautiful and wonderful, how so beautiful and wonderful will these verses be in recitation and import, in original Tamil!

Pranam,
 Anil           
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 12:38:47 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4998 on: September 22, 2017, 04:06:21 PM »
Sri Ramakrishna Sang:

Dive deep, O mind, dive deep in the Ocean of God's Beauty;
If you descend to the uttermost depths,
There you will find the gem of love.

Go seek, O mind, go seek Vrindavan in your heart,
Where with His loving devotees
Sri Krishna sports eternally.

Light up, O mind, light up true wisdom's shining lamp,
And let it burn with steady flame
Unceasingly within your heart.

Who is it that steers your boat across the solid earth?
It is your guru, says Kabir;
Meditate on his holy feet.

Source: The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

Dear devotees, the sweetness of God's Bliss lies deep within the heart. When one descends to that uttermost depth, with one-pointedness of the mind, one reaches  Vrindavan where the Lord is ever sporting eternally with His Loving devotees, and finds Gem of Love. Only one must keep meditating on the Holy Feet of The Guru till the very end, for all this is the secret work of His Grace, as He sang in Sri Arunachala Akshramanamalai.

Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 04:08:35 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4999 on: September 22, 2017, 04:27:53 PM »
Q: Is it not possible for God and the Guru to effect the release of a soul?

Sri Bhagwan: God and the Guru will only show the way to release; they will not by themselves take the soul to the state of release. In truth, God and the Guru are not different. Just as the prey which has fallen into the jaws of a tiger has no escape, so those who have come within the ambit of the Guru's gracious look will be saved by the Guru and will not get lost; yet, each one should by his own effort pursue the path shown by God or Guru and gain release. One can know oneself only with one's own eye of knowledge, and not with somebody else's. Does he who is Rama require the help of a mirror to know that he is Rama?
Who Am I?

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5000 on: September 23, 2017, 12:01:59 PM »
United with Sakti, Siva is endowed with the power to create the universe. Otherwise, He is incapable even of movement. Therefore, who except those endowed with great merits acquired in the past can be fortunate enough to salute or praise Thee, Mother Divine, who art the adored of even Hari, Hara and Virnici.
V. 1, Saundarya Lahari of Sri Sankaracharya

Dear Devotees,

Siva is the Absolute Being, and the Sakti, the Absolute Will (Power) is inherent in Him.  Will as Sakti or Power is said to mean the three-will, knowledge and action. Though they are referred to separately, they are One?inseparable Being-Will. Sakti cannot be apart from the Sakta, or the Power from the Powerful, as Sri Bahgwan Himself has taught. Hence, it follows that Being is a fiction if It is without Will (Power), and Will (Power) a fancy if it is without Being. In their 'togetherness' the seemingly mighty universe of becoming comes into existence. Therefore, for purposes of worship only, Being and Will (Power) are personified as Siva and Sakti, the Father and the Mother of the worlds. From the standpoint of the Absolute Truth, therefore, they are inseparably One and only One.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 12:03:48 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5001 on: September 23, 2017, 01:00:44 PM »
Dear Shri Anil,
Based on your knowledge and experience , I wanted your opinion on one  topic. The Buddhists hold that the 'I' that forms the basis of  all our interactions and conscious actions , is a 'pseudo I 'and does not exist . While Bhagavan  used to always ask to take recourse to his Brahmashtra 'who am I '  on any such discussions  which would probably deviate us  from sadhana  , he never seemed to have explicitly commented on this Buddhist view.But I think at some point, he has said that the 'I' that we commonly know it is being + memories , together apparently forming the I that decides,reflects , acts.I would like your thoughts on this when time permits.
Regards,
Anand .
Sundaram Anand

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5002 on: September 23, 2017, 03:08:47 PM »
Dear Sri Anand, right now I am having problem with net connection. I have seen your post, I shall respond as soon as net connection is set right. Thanks. Anil                                   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5003 on: September 24, 2017, 12:08:09 PM »
O Consort of Siva! Grace my miserable self too, in spite of my being far removed from Thee for lack of devotion, with the long-ranging and compassionate look of Thy eyes, which defeat the slightly blooming blue water lily in beauty. By this my humble self shall feel blessed, while to Thee it involves no loss. The rays of the moon fall alike, indeed, on a mansion and a wilderness.
V. 57, Saundarya Lahiri

Dear devotees, the Divine Mother is the Way to the Father. Though both are inseparable Aspects of the same Truth, without the Sakti Vyapara, or the Movement of the Power, the Real is not apprehended. Hence the Prayer for Her munificent Grace!
Pranam,
 Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5004 on: September 24, 2017, 12:10:00 PM »
Quote:
"The Buddhists hold that the 'I' that forms the basis of all our interactions and conscious actions, is a 'pseudo I 'and does not exist."

"But I think at some point, he has said that the 'I' that we commonly know it is being + memories , together apparently forming the I that decides, reflects , acts."

Dear Sri Anand,

Yes, you have said it right, why do you have doubt?

Yes, what we call our self is the ego-self, that is, pseudo 'I', or transient 'I', ahamkara or the aham vritti which is different from the ever-conscious  Self, Aham. This ego-self or the Ahamkara is born between consciousness and the matter, or between the Self and the body, and partakes of the character of both consciousness and the matter. So, Sri Bhagwan has revealed that this ego-self or the ego-'I' functions as the knot between the Self which is pure consciousness and the physical body which is inert and insentient. Hence the ego was also termed by Him as the Chit-Jada-Granthi.
This false, phantom-like ego-self is not known in sleep. On waking this non-existent 'I' rises, always associated with the body, world and non-self in general. This associated 'I' is aham vritti. When the Aham represents the Self only It is Aham Sphurna (I-I). It is unbroken experience, and it asserts Itself when the relative consciousness subsides. The aham-vritti or 'I'-thought is broken, rises and falls, appears and disappears and is therefore transient, while Aham Sphurna or the Light of 'I-I' is unbroken, continuous and has neither origin nor end. Literally, aham vritti  (ego-self) means mental modification of Aham or the Self. Problem is that we become aware of the Self only when mental modification arises in the intellect.

Quote:
"While Bhagavan  used to always ask to take recourse to his Brahmashtra 'who am I '  on any such discussions  which would probably deviate us  from sadhana, he never seemed to have explicitly commented on this Buddhist view."

Dear Sri Anand, this knot between the Self and the body is intangible and therefore the link is not real. If we do not investigate or enquire into its real nature, it will continue to assail us with troubles, doubts and what not! However, it is not apart from the Self and comes up holding only our Self. So, if we hold our Self, that is, if we resort to uninterruptedly remember our real nature, it (the ego-I) is found to be non-existent and therefore unreal. This is why Sri Bhagwan always resorted or took recourse to the Enquiry 'Who Am I?' to pulverize the thinker or doubter himself rather than attending to myriad doubts and problems of the seekers. Indeed, this alone is the real Brahmastra!

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 12:17:23 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5005 on: September 24, 2017, 04:09:25 PM »
Dear Sri Anand,

Mental modification of the Self is the ego, and is termed metaphysically as the 'I'-thought. Sri Bhagwan has taught that in its subtle form it remains as a mere thought, whereas in its gross aspect it embraces mind, senses and the body.

As you must be certainly aware that the ego-I is the root thought and is connected to all other thoughts. It can be said that the individuality or the idea or thought of personality is the root or stem of all other thoughts, since each idea or the thought arises only as someone's thought and is not known to exist independently.  Hence Sri Bhagwan taught that the individuality of the person is operative as the perceiver of the existence of thoughts and their sequence. This individuality is what is called the ego-I.

On its disappearance through enquiry or surrender, what remains is the Self. Why? Because as you know there are not two selves. What we call the ego-self or the ego-I or the transient 'I' is only a shadow, a mere reflection in the water of the mind though it appears to abrogate the Infinite Self to itself.   Sri Bhagwan has taught that the ego is not an independent entity in order that it can be created and destroyed by itself. Therefore, when the Real is inquired into and held, the unreal disappears, or when the Light is searched and seen, darkness or shadow disappears. Likewise, when the nature of the Real Self is inquired into, its shadow or the reflected, transient 'I', disappears, leaving behind the Fullness of Consciousness, that is, the Self. This is one infallible way to get rid of the tenacious ego. This is why His Atma-vichara is understood by His devotees as the invincible Brahmastra, the most potent divine weapon ever! And what a divine irony: Sri Bhagwan revealed and taught the use of this most destructive weapon to His devotees to fire on to themselves only to destroy the most treacherous ego-mind!

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil             
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 04:13:19 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5006 on: September 25, 2017, 12:23:25 PM »
Thou art the Mind, Thou art the Akasa. Thou art also Fire. Thou art Water and Earth too. When Thou hast transformed Thyself in this way into the form of the universe, there is nothing beyond not included in Thee. It is to transform Thyself into the universe that Thou assumest this form of Consciousness-Bliss as Siva's Consort (His Sakti).
V. 35, Saundarya Lahiri

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5007 on: September 25, 2017, 12:26:33 PM »
D: What is the Sun marga? What is the Moon marga? Which of them is easier?

Sri Bhagwan: Ravi marga (Sun marga) is jnana. Moon marga is Yoga. They think that after purifying the 72,000 nadis in the body, sushumna is entered and the mind passes up to the sahasrara and there is nectar trickling. These are all mental concepts. The man is already overwhelmed by world concepts. Other concepts are now added in the shape of this Yoga. The object of all these is to rid the man of concepts and to make him inhere as the pure Self - i.e., absolute consciousness, bereft of thoughts! Why not go straight to it? Why add new encumbrances to the already existing ones?

Dear devotees, having been taught the Reality of the Self, in such unequivocal terms, and thus being intellectually convinced, why not go  STRAIGHT  to It? Why keep on adding encumbrances to the already existing ones, and making going to It straight that much difficult? His Atma-vichara is indeed descending headlong, straight into It. How? Because His Atma-vichara consists in sifting the Reality from unreality, or the Self from non-Self, or the Atma-swarupa, the Real, from the concepts. Because His Atma-vichara directly leads to Realization by removing the obstacles which make us think that the Self is not realized. For He charted out a Path (if it may be called a path at all) to Immortality through the self-evident 'I am'ness, which is the primary datum of all our temporal experiences whatsoeve0, in every one of us.   
Pranam,
  Anil     
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 12:30:05 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5008 on: September 25, 2017, 03:49:10 PM »
Dear devotees, The great Master, Sri Ramakrishna Param Hamsa asks Sri Mahima to recite verses describing the love of God. Later recited from Narada Panchratra:

What need is there of penance if God is worshiped with love?
What is the use of penance if God is not worshiped with love?

What need is there of penance if God is seen within and without?
What is the use of penance if God is not seen within and without?

O Brahman! O my child! Cease from practicing further penances.
Hasten to Sankara, the Ocean of Heavenly Wisdom;
Obtain from Him the love of God, the pure love praised by devotees,
Which snaps in twain the shackles that bind you to the world.

On hearing the verse the Master exclaimed, "Ah! Ah!", and  was about to go into an ecstatic mood, but He restrained Himself with effort.
Source: The Gospel Of Sri Ramamkrishna

Dear devotees, so, penance is dispensable in either case, that is, whether one loves God or one does not love God. However, we know that penance brings about chit-shudhi or the purification of the mind, and therefore, is relevant and has proven utility and efficacy in the realm of spirituality. 
Having said that I wish to say that love for God is indeed essential prerequisite to know, realize and be Him that one ever is. Sri Bhagwan has also taught that to know and be the Self one must love the Self. This is another matter that one loves only the Self, and if someone or something is dear, it is because of the love for the Self only. This is again another matter that we are able to superimpose the Selfhood on those who are kith and kin or near and dear ones and love them as our own (because of superimposition of Selfhood on them), while rest are seen as 'others'.

Coming to the love for the Self, I wish to say, that if one loves the Self or I-God within, there is no need of any preparatory practices to pursue Vichara or the Enquiry. Such a one will descend deeper and deeper into oneself with ease, and begin to have glimpses and foretaste of the Swarupa beckoning him further inward and inward.

Pranam,
 Anil 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 03:53:05 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5009 on: September 25, 2017, 04:40:28 PM »
The great Master, Sri Ramakrishna sang ecstatically thus:

As is man's meditation, so is his feeling of love;
As is man's feeling of love, so is his gain,
And faith is the root of all......

Again He sang:

Dwell, O mind, within yourself;
Enter no other's home.
If you but seek there, you will find
All you are searching for.....

And then:

Cherish my precious Mother Syama
Tenderly within, O mind;
May you and I alone behold Her,
Letting no one else intrude.......

As the Master sang this last song He stood up. He was almost intoxicated with divine love. Again and again He said to the devotees, "Cherish my precious Mother Syama tenderly within".

Source: The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

Dear devotees, will someone explain the meaning and import of the first line of the first stanza, as cited above 'As is man's meditation, so is his feeling of love'?
 Anil

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 04:44:13 PM by eranilkumarsinha »