Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758123 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #4980 on: September 17, 2017, 10:54:24 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan Ramana has thus taught that though Lord Ishwara moves by His Power (Shakti), which is movement, He transcends the movement, for He is Achala or Sri Arunachala the Self or Brahman.
The Power cannot be separated from the Powerful, or Shakti from the Shakta.
However, it depends on the attitude of a devotee or a seeker. Truth is only One. When one looks at the Shakti alone, one calls it Shakti or the Power. However, settling himself in the Support of the movement, Ashraya, which is nothing other than the Self or the Atma-swarupa, another calls it Achala. Sri Bhagwan has taught that if the movement is activity, vyapara, the latter is its support, Ashraya, which is the Substance.

Sri Bhagwan:  Shakti and Vastu, Force and Substance, are inseparable, are indeed two aspects of one and the same Truth. Only without the Shakti Vyapara or the movement of the Power, the Real Substance is not apprehended.

Shakti or the Power can have no existence apart from the Vastu or the Substance  or the Self or the Existence. Shakti or the Power is coeval and co-eternal with the Being or the Existence. Sri Bhagwan has enlightened that it is the Shakti Vyapara, that is, the Eternal Activity, which is creating and dissolving the myriads of worlds. Sri Bhagwan says that even if all the created worlds are dissolved in course of time, still these worlds persist in activity though lying latent.

Sri Bhagwan: Shakti does not perish. What then is this movement? Every moment there is creation, every moment destruction. There is no absolute creation, no absolute destruction. Both are movement, and that is eternal.

Therefore, Shakti and Vastu, or the Vyapara or the Ashraya, are only aspects of one and the same Truth. But, adds Sri Bhagwan, THIS  WHOLE  MOVEMENT,  THE  CREATION,  CALLED  A  PLAY  OF  SHAKTI,  IS  THE  FORMULATION  OR KALPANA  OR   IMAGINATION  OF  THE  LORD  ISHWARA.  If this kalpana (imagination) is transcended through subtle and profound enquiry, what remains is the Atma-swarupa, which is the Presence.
(This discussion concluded) 

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4981 on: September 18, 2017, 12:07:57 PM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: "The body is the creation of the ego. But the ego is not ordinarily perceived without the body. It is always identified with the body. It is the thought which matters. Let the sensible man consider if he knew his body in deep sleep. Why does he feel it in the waking state? But, although the body was not felt in sleep, did not the Self exist then? How was he in deep sleep? How is he when awake? What is the difference? Ego rises up and that is waking. Simultaneously thoughts arise. Let him find out to whom are the thoughts. Where from do they arise? They must spring up from the conscious Self."

Dear Devotees,

What is the difference? Ego rises up, and with it simultaneously rise other thoughts. This is what we call the state of waking.  So, the ego together with the associated thoughts is the difference. The phantom-like non-entity called the ego-mind thus rises, holding only 'Us', the Atma-swarupa, and immediately jumps towards the objects of the world to feed on them, and this is what is called sorrowful oblivion. Sri Bhagwan has taught that when it is questioned and scrutinized, being mere imagination, it flees away. Hence the Teaching: let a sensible seeker consider and find out to whom are the thoughts, and wherefrom they arise.
Therefore, a sensible seeker will enquire attentively "To whom are the thoughts? Who Am I? Whence am I?, etc.", and will thus go deeper and deeper within, and found that it springs from the conscious Self. Apprehending the consciousness even vaguely will culminate in the extinction of the ego. This is the way. Inward, Inward is the way, Sri Bhagwan has taught. Has He not? 

Dear devotees, this is not heresy, for, if one is attentive and focused, the moment one enquires thus, at that very moment the state of egolessness is not only revealed, but is experienced also, albeit briefly till only the time another thought arises and covers the simple state of being thus revealed.   If this direct sadhana is practiced in this manner, whole-heartedly and steadfastly, state of egolessness or the simple and pure state of being not only reveals Itself, but becomes clear and obvious, moment by moment, experience after experience, practice after practice, and of course, intuition after intuition, till the haziness covering the Swarupa gradually disappears just as the mist and fog clear  gradually with the rise of the sun, and acquaintance and familiarity with the real Self or pure being is gained.  If unerring acquaintance is thus gained, Sri Bhagwan has assured, state of effortlessness will soon be reached, and His Grace will obliterate the residual ego, and Immortal Being, which is One Infinite Existence will be revealed.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil,         
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 12:21:10 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4982 on: September 18, 2017, 04:22:44 PM »
Sri Bhagwan: Desire or lust, anger, etc., give you pain. Why? Because of the 'I'-conceit; this 'I'-conceit is from ignorance; ignorance from differentiation; differentiation from the notion of the reality of the world and this again from 'I-am-the-body' idea. The last can be only after the rise of the ego. The ego not arising, the whole chain of mishaps disappears. Therefore prevent the rise of the ego. This can be done by remaining in your own real nature; then lust, anger, etc., are conquered.

D.: So then all these have their root in ignorance.

Sri Bhagwan: Quite so. Ignorance gives rise to error, error to conceit, etc. What is ignorance? Can it be of Pure Brahman which is only the Self or Pure Knowledge? Only let the questioner know his own Self, i.e., be the Knowledge; this question will not arise. Because of ignorance he raises the question. Such ignorance is of the questioner and not of the Self. The sun seen, no darkness persists. There is hoarded wealth in an iron safe. The man says it is his own; the safe does not say so. It is the ownership-conceit that is responsible for the claim. Nothing is independent of the Self, not even ignorance; for ignorance is only the power of the Self, remaining there without affecting It. However it affects the 'I'-conceit, i.e., the jiva. Therefore ignorance is of the jiva. How? The man says, 'I do not know myself.' Are there then two selves - one the subject and the other the object? He cannot admit it. Is then ignorance at an end for him? No. The rise of the ego is itself the ignorance and nothing more.

Dear devotees, the ego not rising, the whole chain of mishaps disappear. Therefore, it follows that our first and foremost duty is to get rid of the ego, either through worship, or through japa, or through hatha yoga, or through surrender, or through Vichara, to know that indeed there is one Self who is the Self all selves. However, Sri Bhagwan enjoins that this can be done by remaining in one's natural state. Hence, only saying verbally that there is one Self who is ever realized, never non-realized, is of little avail, and is merely a dry chanting. Again, therefore, Experience is the word. 
Pranam,
 Anil     
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 04:28:33 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4983 on: September 18, 2017, 04:40:32 PM »
He who, his ego gone, knows through and through
I, the first person, subject substantive,
Combined with 'AM', the predicate of being,
He indeed and he alone is the true knower.

Sri Ramana Smrti

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4984 on: September 18, 2017, 04:46:07 PM »
 Sri Bhagavan: Effort is necessary to move oneself deeper and deeper in the practice of Self-enquiry, not philosophising on the subject. Firm determination is necessary to achieve experience, not trying to find it at one particular point. This is to be done until the ego is consumed and only the Self remains.

Nishta

• View Profile
« Reply #4985 on: September 19, 2017, 10:53:05 AM »
I enjoy your posts eranilkumarsinha. And your dedication is wonderful.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4986 on: September 19, 2017, 11:49:33 AM »
Sri Bhagwan: If there be a goal to be reached it cannot be permanent. The goal must already be there. We seek to reach the goal with the ego, but the goal exists before the ego. What is in the goal is even prior to our birth, i.e., to the birth of the ego. Because we exist the ego appears to exist too. If we look on the Self as the ego then we become the ego, if as the mind we become the mind, if as the body we become the body. It is the thought which builds up sheaths in so many ways.

Sri Bhagwan: Realisation is already there. The state free from thoughts is the only real state. There is no such action as Realisation. Is there anyone who is not realising the Self? Does anyone deny his own existence? Speaking of realisation, it implies two selves -  the one to realise, the other to be realised. What is not already realised, is sought to be realised. Once we admit our existence, how is it that we do not know our Self?

Dear Devotees,

It is like that. Sri Bhagwan says that there is no greater mystery than this, viz., ourselves being the Reality we seek to gain Reality! The Reality which is synonymous with the Happiness.  So, admitting our existence, for , no can deny it , how is it that we do not know our Self? Because of the ego-mind comprising of thoughts. Sri Bhagwan has taught that it is the ego-mind that stands between and veils our happiness.  Since the Reality is simply the loss of the ego, He exhorts His devotees, out of great compassion for them, to destroy it by seeking its identity.  But how can one destroy that which really does not exist? So, He teaches that since the ego is no entity at all, it will automatically vanish when its identity is questioned and sought, and Reality will shine forth by Itself.  Besides, one must also take notice of the fact that He has observed that no sadhana is necessary for engaging in this quest. Therefore, this quest is not a sadhana as is generally understood by the word 'sadhana' in which this and that external efforts and actions are commanded, to be performed by the devotees, on a regular basis. This is an inner quest, antara Vichara, in which one is simply, persuasively, being asked to remain as one is during sleep, that is, as one naturally is.  This is the sadhana if it can be called one! Sri Bhagwan's devotees, that is, those who come to Him irreversibly, will not think that there is something hiding our Reality and that it must be destroyed before the Reality is gained, for it is ridiculous. Is it not? This is why Sri Bhagwan once remarked that a day will dawn when one will oneself laugh at one's past efforts, for, that which will be on the day one laughs is also here and now. It will be, in my view, akin to waking up from a nightmare.  'Now' cannot be grasped in time, even if we make an attempt to catch it in an infinitesimal fraction of a moment. If we make an attempt to do that, time itself will dissolve or collapse, and what will then remain is only an awareness of the Presence, of the Pure Consciousness 'I Am' who is verily our Atma-Swarupa or the Self, contrary to the time present. So, pure state of being alone is 'Now'. This is also a great clue that if we try to catch 'now', we end up being Real 'I', that is, One Pure Infinite Existence that we really are.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 11:55:53 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4987 on: September 19, 2017, 02:48:04 PM »
Dear Sri Nishta,

Thanks very much for finding this topic enjoyable. However, one should not stop at reading and gain only intellectual knowledge about the great Teaching. His Teaching has been revealed such that emphasis is certainly on practical applications rather than on its theoretical aspects. Therefore, I feel that one should endeavour to apply it at every step in one's life, as far as possible, and bring it within the realm of actual Experience. That alone is the greatest service and the best offering to the Guru.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4988 on: September 19, 2017, 03:35:30 PM »
Dear devotees, since the ego is no entity at all and is really non-existent, it will vanish when its identity is questioned and searched in searchlight called Enquiry. Had it been real, it would have been well-nigh impossible to get rid of it and and realize the Vritti Jnanam and remain as the Blissful Swarupa for ever. So, when it vanishes when sought, much like the impostor in the marriage party,what remains is the Self who shines forth by Itself. Well, what is to be understood by the phrase 'shining forth by Itself'?

That Self or the Infinite Existence-Consciousness knows Itself by Itself, experiences Itself in Itself by Itself. There is no other whosoever to know It, there is no other in which to experience It, and there is no other by which It is to be experienced. Only the creature or jiva, which appears to own a personality of his own, and seems to have myriad ideas and concepts as to how to make himself happy, should get dissolved.

Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 03:39:11 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4989 on: September 19, 2017, 03:59:53 PM »
D:Can you kindly give me a summary of your teachings?
Sri Bhagwan: They are found in the booklets, particularly in 'Who am I?'
D: I shall read them. But may I have the central point of your teaching from your own lips?
Sri Bhagwan: The central point is just the thing.
D: It is not clear to me what you mean by that.
B: That you should find the centre.

Dear devotee, the questioner above is a philosopher. The wonderful response can be, while contemplating, a great clue to penetrate to the Core of one's Existence, which, in truth, is the Heart-centre.
Pranam,
 Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4990 on: September 20, 2017, 12:04:53 PM »
Sri Bhagwan: Environment, time and objects are all in Me. How can they be independent of Me? They may change, but I remain unchanging, always the same. The objects can be differentiated by  means of their names and forms, whereas each one's name is only one and that is 'I'. Ask anyone, he says 'I' and speaks of himself as 'I', even if He is Ishwara. His name too is 'I' only. .......................................

Sri Bhagwan: Clearly all these are in Me. All these wiped out entirely, residual Peace is 'I'. This is Samadhi, this is 'I'. 
Talk--582

Dear Devotees,

How beautiful to read these Words of Grace again and again!How uplifting to contemplate on these nectarine Utterances of Grace!

Sri Bhagwan has taught that the Supreme Being is unmanifest and the first sign of manifestation is Aham Sphurana, or the Light of 'I'. He became 'I' named, the Upanishads teach. That is the original name of the Reality. 
Therefore, it follows that the unmanifest Supreme Being, as He exists in and to Himself, cannot be referred to as either 'I', (Aham)  or 'this' (idam).
The Upanishads are said to refer to Him in the third person as in texts, such as, "All this is verily Brahman" or "the Brahman is one without a second", etc.
At the outset, that is, as the first sign of manifestation, He said, 'I Am' (Aham Asmi). Therefore, 'I' (Aham) is His Name.

Dear devotees, thus the Supreme Truth, the One Existence, mentioned in the third person in the Upanishads, on manifestation, becomes the Self of all the created world and hence It is the Supreme 'I', the Purusha. So, it follows that 'I'-ness or 'this'-ness cannot at all arise in the Absolute as It is in Itself, unrelated to the created, illusory existence. But from the standpoint of the Absolute Truth viewed as the sole Source of all that is created, It is the Purusha, Supreme Self, the 'I' of the whole Movement. Hence, in all creation everywhere, the Supreme Self, Lord of all, has become the indwelling Self of all His becomings.

It is, therefore, He, as the indwelling Self, who persists as the basis and support of the 'I'-ness, or of the notion of 'I', the ego-self, in each and every appearing and disappearing being whosoever and whatsoever. He alone is the first and final 'I', the ultimate reference and supreme significance of the word 'I'. This is why Sri Bhagwan has taught that 'I' is His Original Name.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 12:59:43 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4991 on: September 20, 2017, 12:38:22 PM »
The Sage Sri Vashista to Sri Rama:

Avidya arises in Vidya just as ripples arise in the ocean; and avidya dissolves in Vidya just as ripples dissolve in water.

The distinction between the ripples and water is unreal and verbal. Even so the distinction between ignorance and knowledge is unreal and verbal. There is neither ignorance here nor even knowledge! When you cease to see ignorance and knowledge as two distinct entities, what exists alone exists. The reflection of Vidya in itself is considered avidya. When these two notions are abandoned what remains is the truth: it may be something or it may be nothing! It is omnipotent, it is more empty than space and yet it is not empty because it is full of consciousness. Like the space within a pot, it is indestructible and everywhere. It is the reality in all beings. Just as a magnet makes iron fillings move by its very presence, it causes cosmic motion without intending to do so. Hence it is said that it does nothing at all.
Yoga Vashista, tr. By Swami Sri Venkatesananda     
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 12:58:53 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4992 on: September 20, 2017, 03:39:26 PM »
Sri Sivaprakasam Pillai (SP):  But when will all the instincts and tendencies (vasanas), such as that to self-preservation, be subdued in us?
Sri Bhagwan:   The more you withdraw into the Self, the more these tendencies wither, and finally they drop off.
Sri Sivaprakasam Pillai:  Is it really possible to root out all these tendencies that have soaked into our minds through many births?
Sri Bhagwan:   Never yield room in your mind for such doubts, but dive into the Self with firm resolve. If the mind is constantly directed to the Self by this enquiry it is eventually dissolved and transformed into the Self. When you feel any doubt do not try to elucidate it but to know who it is to whom the doubt occurs.
Who Am I?

Dear devotees, you may be aware that the Sri Sivaprakasam Pillai put 14 questions and elicited response from Sri Bhagwan which subsequently formed the basis for the booklet 'Who Am I?' The above two questions show that Sri Sivaprakasam Pillai had some doubts about the efficacy of the Self-enquiry in rooting out the instincts and tendencies that have soaked and gripped our minds through many births. However, Sri Bhagwan's reply that if the mind is constantly directed to the Self by this enquiry it is eventually transformed into That (Self) put to rest all his doubts, and should put to rest our own doubts also.  For, all these latent tendencies are in the mind, and if the mind, by constant Self-attention, is transformed into That, all these instincts and latent tendencies stand rooted out, lock, stock and barrel. Sri Arthur Osborne, commenting on the above two questions of Sri Pillai, has written, in his magnum opus, Path of Self-knowledge, thus:

Sri Arthur Osborne: The meaning of vairagya is dispassion, detachment, equanimity. Sivaprakasam Pillai's question as to when the instincts and latent tendencies in a man could be subdued shows that it was vairagya that he felt the need to strive after. Sri Bhagavan was, in effect, telling him that vichara or Self-enquiry is the shortest road to vairagya. Passion and attachment are in the mind; therefore when the mind is controlled they are subdued, and that is vairagya.
Path of Self-Knowledge

Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 03:59:09 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4993 on: September 21, 2017, 12:26:04 PM »
D: The thought 'I am a man' is so natural.
Sri Bhagwan: Not so. On the other hand 'I am' is natural. Why do you qualify it with 'a man'?
D: 'I am a man' is so obvious whereas 'I am That' is not understood by us.
Sri Bhagwan: You are neither That nor This. The truth is 'I am'. 'I AM that I AM' according to the Bible also. Mere being is alone natural. To limit it to 'being a man' is uncalled for.
Talk--601

Dear Devotees,

Therefore, the ego of the form 'I am a man' is unnatural, and pure consciousness 'I Am', WHICH  ALONE  IS  THE SELF OR  'I',  IS  MERE, SIMPLE  BEING.  Mere being alone is natural. Obviously, the ego-thought of the form 'I am a man' comes holding only the Self 'I AM', for in the thought 'I am a man', 'I Am' is our natural state of mere being, in which movement or agitation in the form of ego-thought 'I am a man' arises. So, we must understand and intuitively grasp that the ABSTRACT  KNOWLEDGE or the  real Self 'I Am' is prior to the rise of the agitation or movement of the thought 'I am a man', which appears to take place in the very Self 'I Am', which is only indivisible Fullness of Pure Consciousness, and which we are always experiencing irrespective of the states we are in. So, the ego of the form 'I am a man' is only the son of the father 'I Am', thought is the grandson and words are the great grandson. I said all this so that our simple state of mere being becomes clearer to hold on to.

Dear devotees, the Self is unchanging. All changefulness is mere thought, and thought we are not. It is because we have lost hold of 'Ourself', that is, the unchanging Self, and flowing with the ever changing one (ego) that all these confusion and doubts are arising.

Sri Bhagwan has taught that the Self is the Substratum of the mind which continues all along, in all states, giving rise to so many scenes. An 'I' seems to rise forth with every thought and with its disappearance that 'I' disappears too. Many 'I's thus are born and die every moment so long as the mind is subsisting.

Moreover, the 'I' is sleep in unlimited and perfect. Then why does the waking 'I' (the ego) feels limited and imperfect? Because the one who feels limited and imperfect is only a spurious offshoot, a differentiation from the real Infinite and perfect Self. We need to hold 'Ourself' urgently so that this apparently differentiating, spurious offshoot does not arise at all.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 01:01:47 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4994 on: September 21, 2017, 04:29:49 PM »
Sage Sri Vashista to Sri Rama:

Birth is of the mind, O Rama: and growth is mental, too. And when the truth is clearly seen, it is mind that is liberated from its own ignorance. Hence let the mind be led along the path of righteousness by the study of the scriptures, company of holy ones and the cultivation of dispassion. Equipped with these one should resort to the feet of a master whose wisdom is perfected. By faithfully adhering to the teachings of the master, one gradually attains to the plane of total purity. 

Behold the Self by the Self through pure enquiry, even as the cool moon perceives the entire space. One is tossed around over the waters of this illusory world-appearance like a piece of straw only as long as one does not get into the secure boat of Self-enquiry. Even as particles of sand floating in water settle down when the water is absolutely steady, the mind of the man who has gained the knowledge of the truth settles down in total peace. Once this knowledge of the truth is gained, it is not lost: even if a piece of gold has lain in a heap of ashes goldsmith finds no problem in seeing it. When the truth has not been known, there may be confusion, but once it is known there can be no confusion. Ignorance of the Self is the cause of your sorrow, knowledge of the Self leads to delight and tranquility.

Yoga Vashista, Trans. Swami Sri Venkatesananda