Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 759211 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #4950 on: September 09, 2017, 11:08:02 AM »
The world is not other than the mind; and the mind is not other than the Heart. The story, therefore, completely ends in the Heart.
V. 5-12, Sri Bhagwan (Sri Ramana) Gita

The mortal is aware of the mind, only when the Heart has not blossomed, just as the moon is seen only when the Sun has not appeared.
V. 5-15, Sri Bhagwan (Sri Ramana) Gita

Without seeing the origin of light, the true form of one's Self the ordinary man sees by the mind different things and is deluded.
V. 5-16, Sri Bhagwan (Sri Ramana) Gita

The Jnanin present in the Heart sees the mind merged in the light of the Heart, like moonlight in the presence of the Sun during the day.
V. 5-17, Sri Bhagwan (Sri Ramana) Gita

Dear Devotees,

That which rises and says 'i' (little self) is the mind, which Sri Bhagwan has revealed, is nothing but thoughts and concepts. These thoughts and concepts appear real because they shine in the Light of the Self, appearing to be continuous, weaving and scripting the story of the world, which, in fact, is the story of this little self, different for each one. So, seeming world for every one of us is not objective, but subjective, private one, consisting of one's own thoughts of likes and dislikes, concepts and hurts, etc. However, Sri Bhagwan has taught, as above, that mind is not different from the Heart, and mind is born only from the Heart. For this reason, in the Heart, in the sight of the true form of the Self alone, the entire story finishes, the story of the little self, story of the world, et al. FOR  IN  BLISSFUL  AWARENESS,  MENTAL  LIVING  IS  BUT  THE  PALEST  SHADOW. So long as one is living in the mind, it is, in my view, simply not possible to stop telling the story of the self and see who one is without it. By conscious effort, with dispassion and discrimination, one must penetrate to one's deepest Core, that is, to the Heart, which is the locus of the Self, and see the Original Light.  Without seeing the Original Light and experiencing oneness within, we see, by the reflected light called mind, myriad divisions outside, that is, many objects in the external world, creating and scripting stories ad nauseam. Therefore, our duty is to first endeavour to see the Light of the Self, for only in that Light the entire story finishes, all statements conclude.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 11:14:42 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: September 09, 2017, 11:39:06 AM »
                    Idol Worship

Softly, your head resting on your left palm,
You look at me from the corners of your eyes.
I feel a sensation creep from toe to top.
You smile, white teeth vying with white beard,
Face lit up with the glance and the smile.
Are you angry with me for dwelling thus on your outer form?
What else can I do but stare at that
As if it were you?
Do I not think my body is 'I'?
How can I see the light behind
The brightness of your face?
How can I see the God in the idol.
While I am an idol, nothing else?
An idol can only worship an idol.
But the god in that idol stirs to life
The god in this.
That sat swallows this aham
So in Soham, I in That
Disappear and cease to be.
And yet I am, I am, for I
Am now You and You are That.

By Sri C.L. Narasimha Rao

Dear devotees, yes, undoubtedly, LOVING  AND  WORSHIPING  STIR  THAT  IDOL  TO  LIFE.  That is the Experience of all His devotees. Is it not?
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 11:42:33 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4952 on: September 09, 2017, 04:20:42 PM »
CONTROL OF MIND:

(Mind alone is the cause of man's bondage and freedom)
 Amritabindu Upanishad

D: I have not yet learnt to control my mind so I intend to seek ekantavasam (life in solitude) in North India and want Sri Bhagavan's grace.

Sri Bhagwan: You have come all the way to Tiruvannamalai for ekantavasam, and that in the immediate presence and vicinity of Ramana Bhagavan, yet you do not appear to have obtained that mental quiet; you now want to go elsewhere and from there you will desire to go to some other place. At this rate there will be no end to your travels. You do not realize that it is your mind that drives you in this manner. Control that first and you will be happy wherever you are. I do not know if you have read Swami Vivekananda's lectures. It is my impression that he has somewhere told the story of a man trying to bury his shadow and finding that over every sod of earth he put in the grave he had dug for it, it only appeared again, so that it could never be buried. Such is the case of a person who tries to bury his thoughts. One must therefore attempt to get at the very bottom from which thought springs and root out thought, mind and desire.

D: When I spent an hour or two on the hill yonder, I sometimes found even better peace than here, which suggests that a solitary place is after all more conducive to mind-control.

Sri Bhagwan: True, but if you had stayed there for an hour longer, you would have found that place too not giving you the calm of which you speak. Control the mind and even Hell will be Heaven to you. All other talk of solitude, living in a forest etc., is mere prattle. 

D: If solitude and abandonment of home were not required, where then was the necessity for Sri Bhagavan to come here in his seventeenth year?

Sri Bhagwan: If the same force that took this (meaning himself)here, should take you also out of your home by all means let it, but there is no use of your deserting your home by an effort of your own. Your duty lies in practice, continuous practice of Self-enquiry.

D: Is it not necessary to seek the company of the wise (the Saints and Sages)?

Sri Bhagwan: Yes; but the best sat-sangam is inhering in your "Self". It is also the real guhavasam (living in the cave). Dwelling in the cave is retiring into your "Self". Association with the wise will certainly help a great deal.

Source: Crumbs from His Table

Dear devotees, as I said on several occasions before, I have continued to share my insight and understanding on Sri Bhagwan's Teaching with you, only to keep myself established at His Feet, and not for your appreciation and any kind of praise at all. And what is His Feet? His Holy Feet is 'I-I' to which the head, that is, the little self 'i' keeps worshiping, prostrating and surrendering.  Besides, if I still needed some Shravana (Hearing) and Manana (Contemplation), I wish to say, as Sri Sadhu Om said, there is no better Shravana and Manana for me as well for His devotees other than DWELLING on His Teaching. Having come to Sri Ramana Bhagwan, and having experienced great mental calm, I never, never felt any urge from within to go anywhere else, or for that matter, to anyone else. I have understood, from the very beginning, that my only and only duty is the continuous practice of the Self-enquiry, leaving everything else for Him to manage, thus willing to go where He will take. Not that I do not perform my worldly duties with the same zeal anymore, but on the contrary, I have been able to perform them with best of my ability, that is, as far as I can, without my personal likes and dislikes interfering in the discharge of the duties. So, when I remembered the above quoted Teaching contained in the 'Crumbs from His Table', it occurred to me that it would be good to share my deepest feelings with you.

Pranam,
 Anil   
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 04:24:20 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #4953 on: September 10, 2017, 07:53:12 AM »
what a wonderful excuse to avoid truth this little self is ....  :)
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4954 on: September 10, 2017, 08:27:42 AM »
Yes, Indeed! It is, after all, a great game of pretension. Isn't it? One  plays it as long as it appears interesting,

Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4955 on: September 10, 2017, 11:02:03 AM »
As the Self abides in being as existence, to be settled in that is the supreme Dharma of man or law of his being.

As the meaning of the Self is 'I' whose character is Consciousness, to know that is the supreme Artha, the meaning of man , the purpose of his life.

As the Self being blissful, is the dearest (to every one)the love of it is the supreme Kama, the desire of man.
Source: Introduction to the Ramana Gita-Prakasha

Dear Devotees,

The author of the Ramana Gita-Prakasha has wonderfully thus concluded that Dharma, Artha and Kama, though appearing as three distinct objects of life, have only one Object, one Import, and that is the Realization of Brahman, the very Self shining in the Heart, as the 'I' eternal, pure, conscious and free in His Nature, and that is Moksha or Liberation, Vedanta and Sri Bhagwan speak of. He is to be sought for, He is to be known by subtle, profound enquiry. This is the heart of Bhagwan Sri Ramana's Teaching.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 11:06:09 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4956 on: September 10, 2017, 11:18:36 AM »
A crippled disabled Brahmin came and complained: "O Bhagavan, right from my birth I have been suffering. Is it due to my past actions?"

Sri Bhagavan said: We have to say that it is due to past actions. Then, if one asks what is the cause of those past actions, we have to bring in previous past actions and so on without end. Instead of enquiring into karma or actions, why not enquire whose karma it is? If we are the body, then let the body ask the questions. When you say, you suffer, it is your thought. Happiness is our natural state. That which comes and goes is the ego. We think we are miserable, because we forget our essential nature, which is Bliss. Even an emperor, in spite of his wealth and power, often suffers because of his disturbed mind. The sage, who does not know where his next meal will come from, is ever happy. See who enjoys Bliss.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4957 on: September 10, 2017, 11:58:40 AM »
Dear devotees, what follows is an excerpt from an Article named 'BOUNDLESS LOVE' by a devotee named Sri Gladys De Meuter:

Whether Sri Bhagavan gently guided a devotee on the path of surrender, or another to follow the steep vichara method, or yet another to practise his or her own form of worship, whether it be along the lines of Hinduism or another religion, the sage always taught according to the receptivity of the enquirer. Unfailingly, his love forged a spiritual link which would never be severed. A striking example of this is the scene when a devotee asked heart-rendingly, 'What if 1 go to hell?' The sage assured him that even there he would not let go of him.
Whether Sri Bhagavan walks the earth in physical frame, or whether he has shed it, does not matter, since his love is ever present. ever powerful, everactive. Whatever path one follows, surely the greatest comfort is to know that the guru within is truly there, as Sri Bhagavan has taught.

To quote but one example:
It is night. A passenger peers out of an aircraft window. Suddenly, from the desert below, a glow of light is perceived. From the tempest-torn heart of this passenger a prayer pours forth, "God, be my light in the night of life's day". This person had never beheld the physical form of Sri Ramana Maharshi, yet the presence is here-now-always. How did this spontaneous prayer come about? It sufficed that one day a hand was guided to a book which bore a countenance, one with star-like eyes, a visage which radiated a glory which beggars description. Thus was the love song heard!

The Sage of Arunachala does not belong to any specific time or place. He is beyond both.

As homage to that wondrous love song, which, once heard, is never forgotten or silenced, a modest spiritual bouquet is tendered to the Beloved:

Thou who alone knowest how to love-
Blessed am I to know that Thou lovest me.
Thou wilt never forsake me.
No matter what manner of misfortune befalls me,
When I am shunned, derided, cast aside by others,
Thou art ever there, folding me in tender protectiveness.
When aloneness, fears, doubts, temptations and other foes assail me,
Thou art there to disperse them and put them to flight.
Thou art my true eternal Love!
In Thee alone do I find repose
How to thank Thee, O boundless Love?
By offering Thee my poverty-stricken heart!

Source: Sri Ramana Smrti

Dear devotees, blessed indeed is one who knows that He loves him, and therefore, will never be forsaken! And how to thank and what to offer such Boundless Love? He Himself has taught that hunting and offering the ego-self to the I-God within is the best offering, for He abides within as the Innermost Self, or as the Cause of one's being, in the hearts of His devotees!

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 12:03:56 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4958 on: September 11, 2017, 10:27:50 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Try as one would, a seeker is not able to recognise, contact and enter the state of Pure Awareness 'I Am', because while holding the 'I'-ness, he forgets to seek the source from which this 'I'-ness is emanating. Remember, seeking the Source is the dynamic element of the Enquiry, for, if one does that, one automatically reaches the Pure Witness, or the Seer or the Pure Illumination through which all seeing whatsoever is happening. Therefore, if one practices Self-enquiry, as often as possible, throughout the day, with the attitude of aloofness, solitude and detachment, attends to the 'I'-consciousness within, and seeks actively the Source, one is unfailingly led to the awareness of the True 'I',  or 'I Am', or the Pure Perceiver, or the Seer, or the Witness. One needs to hold it, keeping very quiet and observing: This 'I' does neither think nor will nor desire; it has no qualities, is neither man nor woman, has neither body nor mind; it has no trace of the 'person' which you had in mind during your previous questions about the 'I', that is 'Who am I?'. It simply is conscious of itself as 'I am'. Not 'I am this', 'I am that'; only 'I am'. Another clue: It is not you, the individual who has this Pure 'I'-Consciousness as an object, but this Consciousness is your real 'I'!

This attitude of aloofness and detachment has to be kept and practised as often as possible throughout the day. Because the moment one perceives something and reacts on it, becomes interested or gets emotionally involved, positively or negatively, one has covered up the silent, neutral, pure, witnessing 'I' by the reactive, aggressive, personal 'I', exactly as clouds suddenly arrive from nowhere and cover the Sun.

Therefore, dear devotees, sadhana of Sri Bhagwan's Vichara, in my view, also includes, nay, one is led to, the practice of attention to our own PERCEIVING, with the purpose of cutting it short just before the stage of reacting sets in. I am certain that if the Enquiry is practiced thus, with this kind of detachment and dispassion, the seeker will soon get to a state of pure awareness 'I AM'.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:42:44 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4959 on: September 11, 2017, 11:14:18 AM »
Sri Kunju Swami has narrated the following:
Sri Bhagavan used to go into the kitchen by 4 a.m. and start cutting vegetables; one or two of us would also join and help. Sometimes, the amount of vegetables used to startle us. Bhagavan managed to cut much more and more quickly than the rest of us. At such times we would look up at the clock in our impatience to finish the job and try and have another nap. Bhagavan would sense our impatience and say: "Why do you look at the clock?" We tried to bluff Bhagavan saying: "If only we could complete the work before 5, we could meditate for an hour." Bhagavan would mildly retort: "The allotted work has to be completed in time. Other thoughts are obstacles, not the amount of work. Doing the allotted work in time is itself meditation. Go ahead and do the job with full attention." Sri Bhagavan thus taught us the importance of right, honest work.

Dear devotees, if one performs the work allotted to him, with full attention, without entertaining other thoughts, in time, and without an eye on the fruits of the labour, doing work itself becomes meditation. Mind's ability to concentrate is strengthened. Such a mind, obviously, would be able to penetrate to one's deepest Core within, to the real 'I', with laser-like precision, when it comes to the Self-enquiry. Therefore, doing work allotted to a sadhak of the Atma-vichara, with right attitude, honestly and with full attention, is indeed a great help in the sadhana of the Direct Path

Pranam,
  Anil     
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 11:19:51 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: September 11, 2017, 12:02:35 PM »
Him the Lord some call the Primal Being,
Others see Him as Being Supreme,
Yet others proclaim Him the Being
Centred in the orb of worlds and spheres.
Sri Ganapati Muni

"The Lord, O Arjuna, dwells in the Heart of every being, and He by His delusive power spins round all beings set as if on a machine".
Gita

From Maharshi's Gospel:
Sri Bhagwan: The functions of the body involving the need for an operator, are borne in mind; since the body is jada or insentient, a sentient operator is necessary. Because people think that they are jivas, Krishna said that God resides in the heart as the operator of the jivas. In fact, there are no jivas and no operator, as it were, outside them; the Self comprises all. It is the screen, the pictures, the seer, the actors, the operator, the light, the theatre and all else. Your confounding the Self with the body and imagining yourself the actor, is like the seer representing himself as an actor in the cinema-show. Imagine the actor asking if he can enact a scene without the screen ! Such is the case of the man who thinks of his actions apart from the Self.
D: On the other hand, it is like asking the spectator to act in the cinema-picture. So, we must learn sleep-waking!

Dear devotees, imagine asking a spectator to act in a cinema-picture, as it were, that is, as if it were so! Such is the case for our mistaken feeling 'I work'! Sri M. Frydman was a great devotee who elicited great responses from Sri Bhagwan, as contained in the Maharshi's Gospel.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 12:17:21 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4961 on: September 11, 2017, 12:49:32 PM »
Him the Lord some call the Primal Being,
Others see Him as Being Supreme,
Yet others proclaim Him the Being
Centred in the orb of worlds and spheres.
Sri Ganapati Muni

Dear devotees, someone may say that the Teaching contained in re-4960 contradicts the Teaching contained in Re-4959. However, I wish to reiterate that, as I have understood, both Teachings can be reconciled rather wonderfully. What difficulty one encounters initially in the practice of the Self-enquiry, that is, one finds initially unable to turn one's attention in the diametrically opposite direction on to oneself within from the world and its objects outside, the same difficulty is encountered when one tires to perform a work with full attention, for other thoughts will assail and divert the attention. So, when one is finally able to do work, with practice, with full attention, work and the worker both merge together, and what remains is the Self. AND,  SRI  BHAGWAN  HAS  TAUGHT  THAT  WORK  IS  NOT  APART  FROM THE  SELF.  All ingredients required to perform the work, in time, accurately with perfection, will come about automatically. Hence, in that state, the work will be accomplished perfectly. Sri Bhagwan Himself is the Testimony, if proof is required at all!
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 12:52:50 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4962 on: September 12, 2017, 10:17:38 AM »
The Lord (Sri Krishna) answers:
Notwithstanding the fact that the phenomena do not at all exist, yet so long as the contact between the unillumined jiva and the senses continues, transmigration does not cease. So long as the dreamer continues to be deluded by the dream objects, he continues to suffer dream sorrow, although this does not exist (but as sensations in him), and ceases when he becomes enlightened on waking. Grief, fear, birth and death affect the deluded part of the dreamer, the ego, and not his being or Self. True knowledge consists in distinguishing the Self, which is real, from the not-Self, which is unreal. By the means spoken of before and by the Grace of a perfect Master, this distinction is clearly perceived, and the body is completely rejected as the non-Self. Just as space is not affected by the elements : fire, water, earth, etc., of which it is the container, so is the imperishable, all-containing Being not affected by the gunas. Efforts must be made to shun the not-Self until supreme bhakti cuts down rajas, the active qualities which are responsible for the illusion....................................The unregenerate perform action till the last moment of their life, and are paid back in transient pleasure and pain, but the regenerate, though seated in a body remain actionless, their thirst for enjoyment having been slaked by the bliss of Self-realisation. Being permanently established in the Self, they take no heed of the actions of the body, nor do they take for real the objects that fall within the ranges of their perception, no more than an awakened man concedes reality to the objects he has perceived in a dream. The body which has so far been identified with one's own Self, dear Uddhava, and which is actually the product of the gunas and karma, now completely disappears in the light of Self-knowledge : not so the Self which can be neither perceived nor rejected (for the repudiator would still be the sentient Self itself, which remains as the absolute residuum). Just as the light of the sun dispels the darkness from the eye and reveals what has already been present but unseen, so does the realisation of Me dispel the darkness of the mind and reveal the Self, which has all along been invisibly present as the source of all experiences, the senses and speech, and which is self-luminous, beyond the reach of reason, words, births, time and space. The notion of differences in the absolute Self is entirely a delusion, for none exists other than itself. The claim of an irrefutable duality made by some arrogant dualists is utterly senseless.
There are those who practise sense-control and manage to keep the body strong and youthful and take to the practice of yoga with the view of acquiring siddhis. The wise look askance at them and at their futile endeavour to preserve a body which is as perishable as a fruit on a tree.
Srimad Bhagavata

Dear devotees, the Lord says that the True Knowledge consists in distinguishing the Self, which is real, from the not-Self, which is unreal. Therefore, it follows that by adopting the means most suited to one's disposition and temperament, and most important, by the Grace of a perfect Master, this distinction must be clearly perceived and experienced, to be able to completely reject the body as the non-Self, and to see and be the Self that one ever is, without the little self and its myriads stories. Only intellectual understanding is not enough. The Knowledge must be the Experience in which there is no experiencer. 
Pranam,
 Anil 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 10:24:35 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: September 12, 2017, 03:24:24 PM »
Sri Bhagwan: Are you not distinct from thoughts? Do you not exist without them? But can the thoughts exist without you?

Dear Devotees,

The thoughts arise from the root 'I'-thought which in its turn arises from the Self. Therefore, Sri Bhagwan says, the Self manifests as 'I'-thought and other thoughts.  He has taught that even good thoughts, though helpful in keeping off the bad thoughts, must themselves disappear before the state of Realization. Why? Because, in truth, we are the Self Himself, and thoughts are alien to the Self. Because I am the Self, the Self is most intimate. Nay, there can be nothing, nothing whatsoever, in the system of forms-gross or subtle, more intimate. So, the Self is more intimate than even the 'I'-thought or the ego. This is why Sri Bhagwan has taught that the thoughts must disappear in the Self, not even a trace of the 'I'-thought should remain, for Realization to dawn or happen. Following conversation may prove instructive:

D: Is it right to think that all that happens to us are God's ordainment, and therefore, only good?
Sri Bhagwan: Of course it is. Yet all others and God are not apart from the Self. HOW  CAN  THOUGHTS  OF  THEM  ARISE  WHEN  YOU  REMAIN  AS  THE  SELF?

Dear devotees, so, these thoughts have fields of play because, though ever the Self, we identify with the modes (vrittis) of the mind. But that which identifies with the mental modifications is not the real 'I' or the Self, but His reflection. Problem is that with a limited 'I', always rising identifying with a form , we are so stuck up, from birth after birth, that we are reduced to mere vrittis or modes rather than the Self that we are. We are so stuck up with this limited 'I' that we cannot see Our Own Light. The ant or the mosquito stings the body, but we are not the body. Yet one says that the body feels the bite and the pain, which appear so real. However, Sri Bhagwan remains unrelenting: "If the body feels it, let it ask. Let the body take care of itself. How does it matter to you?"

Body is a mental projection, and pain, bite, joys, sorrows, et al, therefore, pertain to the body-mind adjunct, all not-Self, and alien to the Self. Error lies in the identification of the Self with the body. Hence, one must EXPERIENCE that all is the Self, there is no not-Self, nor body, nothing whatever, and indeed one is the Self. EXPERIENCE WITHOUT EXPERIENCER  IS  THE  WORD.  Only intellectual understanding is not enough, for such understanding is bound to be overtaken by sheer ignorance, sooner rather than later.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 03:38:41 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4964 on: September 12, 2017, 03:49:19 PM »
Sri Bhagavan : Why is not the pure 'I' realized now or even remembered by us? Because of want of acquaintance with it. It can be recognized only if it is consciously attained. Therefore make the effort and gain it consciously.
Talks