Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 756643 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #4935 on: August 27, 2017, 11:12:03 AM »
To a questioner Sri Bhagwan said: "How do you say 'I am'? Do you take a light to find yourself? Or did you come to know it on reading books? How?"

The questioner said: 'By experience.'

Sri Bhagwan : "Yes, Experience is the word. Knowledge implies subject and object.  BUT  EXPERIENCE  IS  NON-TERMINAL,  ETERNAL".

Talk--128

Dear Devotees,

What experience is non-terminal, eternal? When we perceive sense objects, can this perceiving be termed as 'experience' then? When we perceive sense objects, we essentially experience 'I' or 'I am', while almost simultaneously we have the perceptions of the objects. 'I' or 'I am', therefore, alone is the true non-terminal, experience. So, we many also say that Atma-swarupa or the Self is ever experienced and never non-experienced. I or 'I am' alone is the true experience or ANUBHAVA, while 'this' or 'idam' or 'so and so' are mere perceptions or PRATIBHASA or unreal appearance, like the water in the mirage.

Dear devotees, we do not require mirror, or books, or others' recognition to be conscious of our own being or existence as 'I' or 'I am'. Do we? We do not require mind or the senses to affirm our existence as 'I' or 'I am'. So, we may also say that the experience of our being or existence is the only experience whatsoever that is attained without the mind and senses. Awareness of our being therefore is always assured, always self-evident, even during the state of deep sleep. Hence we may conclude that Experience is that in which 'I' is aware of only 'I', that is, only as 'I am I', that is, the Self experiences or knows only and only the Self.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 11:17:35 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4936 on: August 27, 2017, 11:28:11 AM »
Dear devotees,I missed to say in my previous post that while practicing Sri Bhagwan's Vichara diligently and unswervingly, I have understood, with a great amount of certainty, that thought is superficial and analytical, feelings happen at a deeper level, while experience of our own being or existence as 'I  AM  I' is continuous, deepest, non-terminal and eternal. EXPERIENCE  alone therefore is the truest, EXPERIENCE is the  WORD, as Sri Bhagwan has taught.
Pranam,
  Anil 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 10:15:06 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4937 on: August 28, 2017, 10:10:24 AM »
Dear devotees, for a change, I would like to post some immortal lines from Sri Shakespeare's plays, as following:

Macbeth speaks:

Tomorrow, tomorrow, and
tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief
Candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor
Player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the
stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(Macbeth)

"The days creep slowly along until the end of time. And every day that has already happened has taken fools that much closer to their deaths. Out, out, brief candle. Life is nothing more than an illusion. It's like poor actor who struts and worries for his hour on the stage and then is never heard from again. Life is story told by an idiot, full of noise and emotional disturbance but devoid of meaning."

Dear devotees, Now I would like to post a few immortal lines from Sri Bhagwan's Holy Utterances:
"The pictures move on the screen in a cinema show; but does the screen itself move? No. The Presence is the screen, you, I, and others are the pictures. The individuals may move but not the Self." 

Dear devotees, obviously the import of the words of Sri Shakespeare's protagonist in Macbeth and Sri Bhagwan's Holy Utterances are one and the same. However, if anyone has any doubt, one should also remember following immortal lines from 'As You like It':

All the world's a stage
And all the men and women merely players
They have their exits and their entrances
And one man in his time plays many parts.
(As You Like It)

Indeed, Sri Shakespeare was an enlightened poet and playwright, like many romantic poets of the English Literature.

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 10:14:31 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4938 on: August 29, 2017, 12:09:45 PM »
Sri Bhagwan: "It is said that the sole purpose of all that is taught in scriptures is removal of dukkha nivritti (misery) and attainment of sukha prapti (happiness), but how to remove misery, which never exists, or to attain happiness, which alone ever exists?"

Dear Devotees,

Every one of us now knows that simple being is our blissful, natural state. Do we not? So, He taught, 'Just Be'. But so long as one remains absorbed in the world of objects with an out-going mind, one cannot remain for long as just simple being, as Awareness Itself, that is, as mere Witness or Seer. So, if many old, great devotees, such as Sri Annamalai Swami, advocated strongly to take up Sri Bhagwan's Enquiry from the very beginning, knowing fully well that Self-Enquiry ultimately is simply to just be and remain as the Self that one ever is, this is because its long practice convinced them with great certainty that preliminary Enquiry (To whom?, Who am I?, Whence am I?, etc.) is potent enough to destroy predispositions on account of which mind is externalized and thoughts arise. And it does not require a great philosophical mind to sense that the more the vasanas or predispositions get destroyed by preliminary enquiry, the more and more longer one would surely be able to just be, that is, to remain in the state of simple being, as the Self, or as the Awareness Itself, that is, in Natural State. This is how one graduates and gravitates to ultimate form of Vichara or the Enquiry  from the preliminary one. This is how one reaches fast enough to the state of effortlessness. State of effortlessness is that is which almost all predispositions have been erased, mental agitation is off to a great extent, and one is now able to just be and remain as mere being for long periods. Sri Bhagwan has enlightened us that rest is the work of the Self or Grace Itself, for the Self is only waiting to destroy the residual ego-mind and overwhelm such a one with outpour of nectarine bliss of the Atma-swarupa.

AND  THIS  HOW  ONE  REMOVES  MISERY,  WHICH  NEVER   EXISTS,  AND  ATTAINS  HAPPINESS,  WHICH  ALONE  EVER  EXISTS.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

Note: dear devotees, I have been given now a special assignment by my department in this difficult time of devastating flood in Bihar, and therefore, for some time I shall be attending this forum only off and on. Anil           
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 12:38:19 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4939 on: August 30, 2017, 11:40:39 AM »
Dear devotees, what follows is an excerpt from 'Maha Bhakta Vijayam':

Embracing the emperor (Akbar), Tulsidas said, "O great king, you are of sattvic nature, established in peace and harmony! That which is glorified in Quran is the same Truth which is expounded in the Vedas. The conflict arises because Hindus worship the forms along with the formless, whereas Muslims abhor idol-worship. Both religions point to the same Ideal. The form is like the salt and formless is like the sea water. Out of ignorance, people do not comprehend the whole truth. IF  ONE  MAKES  DEEP  ENQUIRY,  ONE  WILL  REALIZE  THAT  ALL RELIGIONS  UTTER  THE  SAME  TRUTH. Therefore, realize the Brahman, the formless Absolute, which you have been cherishing, within your heart and immerse in bliss."
Tulsidas, placing his hands on the head of the emperor, blessed him and initiated him into the mahavakya. He enlightened him about how jivas mistake the body mind complex for one's real Self and wallow in darkness. He explained about the gross, subtle and causal bodies and the individual sense or egoism which binds the jiva (individual soul)to the material world and enmeshes it in attachment and ignorance. He elucidated on the mysterious nature of jagrat, swapna and sushupti i.e. waking, dreaming and deep sleep states; and also on the unfathomable and inexpressible transcendental state of the Absolute and of the signs of great bliss when one dives deep within. Thus he dilated upon the esoteric truths of monism. Then he asked the emperor whether he had any doubts.
Since the precepts he had heard from Muslim fakirs and the path set out by the saint were more or less the same, the emperor gained a clear understanding; so he kept quiet. After a while, he asked, "O revered Swami! Whatever you said agrees with what our priests tell us about the formless aspect of Godhead and of the DIRECT  EXPERIENCE  of the Self.
Source: Mountain Path

Dear devotees, and both the precepts as well as the path taught by Sri Bhagwan agree perfectly with what the great Saint Sri Tulsidas and great Fakirs of Muslim Faith taught the great emperor Akbar.  Whatever one's religion, when one is able to internalize the mind and to dive deep within, and makes deep and profound enquiry, one realizes the truth of the Mahavakyas, such as, 'An-al-haq i.e. Verily, I am the Truth', or 'Aham Brahmasmi i.e. I am Brahman', or  'I  AM  THAT  I  AM', and simultaneously realizes the great bliss of the Self or the Atma-swarupa, which is one and same for all,  for, salt may be of different varieties, but sea water remains forever the same for everyone whosoever. 

Pranam,
 Anil       
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 12:06:02 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4940 on: September 03, 2017, 10:53:49 AM »
Sri Udhava comforts Gopis thus:

Now listen, O blessed ones, to the personal message with which your Darling has secretly entrusted me to bring joy to you all. He the glorious Lord, said:
"My being apart from you on account of the distance that separates us, even materially, is not possible, and is as impossible as five elements which constitute the body can be separated from the body of a living being. In order to make you focus your mind on Me, I am bodily staying away from you; FOR  THE  MIND  DOES  NOT  GET ABSORBED  IN  THE  BELOVED  IF  THE  LATTER DWELLS  IN  CLOSE  PROXIMITY  AND  IS  ACCESSIBLE  TO  THE  EYES  AND EARS. It is only by a ceaseless thought of Me that My state is attained. The women who, that night, were stopped by their families from joining Me in the Rasa dance , when you, dear gopis, enjoyed My company at Brindavan, have already attained Me, because they kept thinking of Me and of My deeds in their minds."
Source: Srimad Bhagavata, Sri S. S. Cohen

Dear devotees,

A devotee of Sri Ramakrishna Paramhamsa, named Sri V. Venkatraman, as the story goes, was guided to Holy Feet of Sri Bhagwan by Sri Paramhamsa Himself in a dream after His Mahasamadhi. So, Sri Venkatraman came to Sri Bhagwan thinking only of Him (Sri Bhagwan). Sri Bhagwan first said to him that he would get only silent upadesa there.
However, Sri Venkatraman grew uneasy after some time at being given no sadhana at all, that is, no practice to perform regularly. So he complained.

Sri Bhagwan said to Sri Venkatraman: "And what brought you here?"
"THINKING  ONLY  OF  YOU,  SWAMI.", replied Sri Venkatraman.
Sri Bhagwan: "Then that is also your sadhana. That is sufficient."
And indeed, the thought of remembrance of Sri Bhagwan began to accompany him everywhere, to become inseparable from him. 

Dear devotees, I would like to share my experience at this point of this post with you. Before I came irreversibly to Him, I didn't know anything about Self-enquiry and Self-attention. I heard His Name and read the booklet 'Who am I?' only once some 25 years back. I do not know how and why, His Name became ingrained in my psyche and consciousness inseparably, and I often remembered Him without knowing anything about Him and His great Teaching.   It was only in 2005 that His Name blossomed and my heart was illumined, albeit briefly. Afterwards, I also always kept thinking of Him, and only after a few days, this led me, spontaneously if I may say so, to His Atma-vichara. And from there on, there has been no looking back, no doubt whatever.

Dear devotees, this convinced me, for once and all, and affirmed Sri Annamalai Swami's insight that Sri Bhagwan Ramana is indeed the Pure Self, and therefore, thinking of Him is the same as the thought of the Self, Atma-chintnai, as He taught in 'Who Am I?'
Sri Sadhu Om has also insightfully written that by the 'thought of Self' is meant  only the Self-attention, which is not a mental activity of 'doing' something but 'being' still, for Sri Bhagwan sang in the Mangala Venba of the Ulladu Narpadu that nobody can limit and meditate on or think of the Reality, which is called the Heart. Therefore, to abide in the Heart as It is, without thought, is truly thinking of or meditating on Him. And that is the Self-attention, for Self-attention is abiding as the Self.
(Note: dear devotees, I have written the above in a single flow, in a hurry. So, I shall request you to forgive me if some error somewhere has crept in in this post.)

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil                 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 11:00:38 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4941 on: September 04, 2017, 10:56:11 AM »
...................it implies conscious direction of the influence by Him. On one occasion Sri Bhagwan gave striking confirmation of this, though those who had experienced it needed none. Sundaresh Aiyer composed a Tamil song in His praise referring to the Grace flowing forth from His eyes to sustain the devotees, and Sri Bhagwan corrected him, "No, not flowing but projected, because it is a conscious process directing the grace to the chosen person."
The disciple also has to make effort to utilize fully the Grace of the Master, and for this method that Sri Bhagwan constantly propounded was the vichara, the question 'Who am I?' This was the sadhana He brought to meet the needs of our age and about this there was no secrecy or concealment. He was quite categorical about its pre-eminence.
Source: Ramana Maharshi And The Path of Self-knowledge, Sri Arthur Osborne

Dear Devotees,

Yes, those who experienced it needed no confirmation from others, for it is so real for them that 'compared with it the amlak in one's hand appears a mere illusion'. Such becomes the faith of those who experienced it.
As I often said before, Sri Osborne's writing on Sri Bhagwan and His Teaching fascinated, touched and inspired me no end. Even now, I often turn and peruse through the pages of the book from which the above quotation has been extracted.

Dear devotees, I do not with to say regarding Sri Bhagwan's Holy Utterance that 'Grace is projected, because it is a conscious process directing His Grace to the chosen person', except that His Grace is unfathomable, beyond expression, and operates rather mysteriously, such that it cannot be grasped by the limited, reflected mind consisting of  bundle of insentient thoughts.
However, one thing is certain that if one ever makes even some effort to realize one's pure being or existence, it is on account of Grace, and when one is seized with divine fervor for finding who really one is, it is certainly manifestation of Grace. However, I feel that without deliberating much about whether divine Grace is active for him or not, one should perseveringly go on making effort, because effort and Grace act and react on each other, though one's effort is limited and His Grace is infinite, and removes the veil shrouding our Atma-swarupa. This is how I have felt deeply.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil     
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 11:06:06 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4942 on: September 06, 2017, 11:23:21 AM »
Dear Devotees,

The Self-realized Sage named Sri Dirghatapa had two sons named Sri Punya and Sri Pavana. Of these Sri Punya had reached full enlightenment, but Sri Pavana, though he had overcome ignorance, had not yet reached full enlightenment like his elder brother Sri Punya. The Sage, Sri Dirghatapa had grown in age and abandoned the body, and His wife followed Him. At this sudden departure of the parents, the younger brother, Sri Pavana was sunk in grief. On the other hand, Sri Punya performed the funeral ceremonies but remained unmoved by the bereavement of the parents. He approached his grieving brother, Sri Pavana, and consoled him thus:

Sri Punya:
Brother, why do you bring this dreadful sorrow upon yourself? The blindness of ignorance alone is the cause of this torrential downpour of tears from your eyes. OUR  FATHER  HAS  DEPARTED  FROM  HERE  ALONG  WITH  OUR  MOTHER  TO  THE   HIGHEST  STATE  WHICH  IS  NATURAL  TO  ALL  BEINGS.
...........................With your keen intelligence enquire into the truth: abandon notions of 'I', 'you' etc., and of 'He is dead', 'He is gone'. All these are your notions, not truth.

Sri Punya continued: These false notions of father, mother, friend, etc. are swept aside by wisdom as dust is swept away by wind.  These relatives are not based on truth, THEY  ARE  BUT  WORDS! If one is thought of as a friend, he is a friend; if he is thought of as the other, he is the other! When all this is seen as the one omnipresent being, where is the distinction between friends and the other?

Brother, enquire within yourself: "This body is inert and is composed of blood, flesh, bones, etc.; what is the 'I' in it? If you thus enquire into the truth you will realize that there is nothing which is you nor anything which is 'I': what is called Punya or Pavana is a false notion."
Source: Yoga Vasista

Dear devotees, Sri Punya means to drive home the truth that in in this relative world, relatives are strewn like dry leaves on a forest path. AND  THEREFORE,  THERE  CAN  BE  NO  PROPER  AND  GENUINE  CAUSE  FOR  CONCERN  AND  GRIEF,  OR  JOY  IN  THIS  WORLD. So, sooner or later, we have to abandon all these ignorant notions and remain at peace with 'ourselves', for peace will remain elusive so long as we remain attached to these false notions. One day we have to abandon the notion of the world which arises in our mind simultaneously with the rise of the ego-'I'.  Hence the Teaching:
"Be still, neither going up nor falling down! You have no unhappiness, no birth, no father, no mother: YOU  ARE  THE  SELF  AND  NAUGHT  ELSE."

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil     
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 11:34:32 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4943 on: September 06, 2017, 02:46:22 PM »
Contd from the previous post:

Dear devotees, Sri Punya's father, the Sage Sri Dirghatapa, after abandoning the body, reached the highest state which is natural to all beings, that is, the state of utter purity. Well, how wonderfully the import of the same state has been captured and portrayed succinctly in Act 1, Scene 2 of Sri Shakespeare's Tempest: 

ARIEL sings:
(Original Text)
 Full fathom five thy father lies.
 Of his bones are coral made.
 Those are pearls that were his eyes.
 Nothing of him that doth fade,
 But doth suffer a sea-change
 Into something rich and strange.
 Sea-nymphs hourly ring his knell.
Act 1, Scene 2, The Tempest, Sri Shakespeare

ARIEL sings: (Modern Text)
Your father lies five whole fathoms below,
 His bones have turned to coral now.
 His eyes have turned to pearls.
 There's nothing left of him,
 He's undergone a complete sea change
 And become something rich and strange.
 Sea nymphs ring his death bell every hour.

Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 02:49:22 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4944 on: September 07, 2017, 11:54:02 AM »
Dear Devotees,

What follows is a gem-like Guru-disciple conversation, selected by Sri Bhagwan Himself, from the Tamil version of a rare book known as 'Vichara Sagaram', originally written in Hindi by a great Sage named Sadhu Sri Nischal Das (1793-1863). 

Disciple: Swami, what are the means of putting an end to the miseries of samsara like birth and death and of attaining supreme bliss.

Guru: O Disciple! What a delusion! You are always of the nature of bliss. There is not the least trace of the miseries of samsara in you. Therefore do not take upon yourself the miseries of birth, etc. You are the conscious Brahman which is free from birth and death.

Disciple: Is not liberation the cessation of misery and the attainment of supreme bliss? If I am already of the nature of bliss how it is possible for me to attain the bliss which is always attained and similarly to get rid of the misery which never existed?

Guru: This is possible just as one can seek and find a bracelet which was on one's arm all the time but which one had forgotten about, and on finding it, look upon it as a new acquisition. It is possible as in the case of a serpent which, at no time present in the rope, was mistaken for one, but which seemed to be there and seems to disappear when one discovers that it is only a piece of rope.

Disciple: Will the non-existence of misery and the existence of bliss coexist in one and the same state (substance) of liberation?

Guru: They will. JUST  AS  THE  NON-EXISTENCE  OF  THE  IMAGINED  SERPENT  IS  THE  EXISTENCE  OF  THE  ROPE,  THE  NON-EXISTENCE  OF  THE  IMAGINED  MISERY  IS  THE  EXISTENCE  OF  BLISS.

Source: Jewel Garland Of Enquiry

Dear devotees, and non-existence of the ego-self is the Existence of the Silence of being or the Self or Brahman. Moreover, the above quotation contains a wonderful solution of the problem of philosophy as to how to attain the bliss which is ever attained and similarly how to get rid of the misery which never existed. As the appearance of the presence of the serpent is imagined, and on investigation the serpent disappears and what remains is only a piece of a rope, so also the appearance of the ego-self is imagined, and on enquiry, it disappears, and what remains is the Silence of being, and Silence of being alone is the real 'I'.
Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan has taught that the Heart is the Shrine of the Self or real 'I', and when a truth seeker storms this citadel with the force of razor-sharp, profound enquiry, the poisonous, obnoxious ego-self, which usurped the reality of the Self and appeared real, bows its head and falls, exactly as the serpent vanished.

Myself as body-mind complex non-existent? Then 'Who indeed am I?' And if I am investigating about myself, why there should be thoughts of my office or of my relatives or any problem that I may be facing right now? If I am designing a dam, will I entertain the thought that the world is on the verge of a nuclear conflagration and catastrophe? If I do, that means I am not a good designer of structures. Therefore, for being a good investigator investigating oneself, attention will be onto oneself only, if really one is earnest and sincere about this investigation. And if one does that, I am certain that the Experience of the Creative Silence cannot remain elusive for long for such a one, for one is always experiencing the Silence or the tremulous Awareness 'I-I', only one's attention is in a diametrically opposite direction to outside instead of towards the innermost Shrine of the Self, known as the spiritual Heart. So, effort is required to persuade the mind to keep attending to self, and gradually be aware of the infinite Silence of mere being.  Silence alone am I !!

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 12:02:06 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4945 on: September 07, 2017, 12:12:13 PM »
A little poetry from Sri Percy Bysshe Shelley:

Though the sound overpowers,
Sing again, with your dear voice revealing
A tone
Of some world far from ours,
Where music and moonlight and feeling
Are one.

A Stanza from the Poem 'With a Guitar to Jane'

Dear devotees, where is that world located where music and moonlight and feelings are one? And what is the nature of the tone from such a mysterious world? I would like you to respond.
Pranam,
 Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4946 on: September 08, 2017, 11:30:16 AM »
Dear devotees, sometimes, I go through the Speaking Tree published in the Times of India daily. Well, following paragraphs, inked by Swami Sri Sukhabodhananda, gladdened my heart.

"The next dimension that one has to see is whether one is restless or restful in one's daily activities of life.  Being restful, calm, inwardly silent and not noisy is indispensable to spiritual health. If one is restless, mind pollutes perception. If the mind is calm, one sees situations objectively. If disturbed, one sees things in a distorted way. Hence, it is said we don't live in the objective world, we live in our subjective world.  WE  DON'T  LIVE  IN  GOD'S  WORLD,  WE   LIVE  IN  OUR  PRIVATE  WORLD   OF  HURTS  AND  UPSETS."

"Can we experience anything without the experiencer? When we look at the flower, we say, I like it or don't like it and by that inner language, we are not in touch with the flower. We are in touch with our version of the flower which is polluted by our internal likes and dislikes."

"To live a life of gratitude is an enlightened way of living. Be grateful and not greedy. If one is grateful, one is sensitive to life, and if one is not grateful, one is sentimental to life. Being grateful, one will not be egoistic  and being sentimental, one becomes egoistic.  SENSITIVE  IS  EXPERIENCING  WHAT  IS,  AND  SENTIMENTAL  IS  REACTING  TO  WHAT  IS.  To drop the arrogant self is truly being spiritual."

"When you are successful be grateful and see that success is not due to 'me' (i), but caused by some higher operating force. SO  WORK  TOWARDS  REDUCING  THIS  EGOISTIC  'i'  AND  SEE THE  GREATER  FORCE  OPERATING.  Then one will be grateful and not arrogant."

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan also used to say that a devotee should be grateful, not only for one's success and the good things in life, but also for one's failures and grief and sorrow, for they come only for his course-correction. Dropping the ego-self is indeed being truly spiritual, and therefore, reducing it infinitesimally, and finally dropping or surrendering even the residual ego, to God within or to the Cause of one's being, are the one and only spiritual goal of all devotees, sadhakas or seekers, irrespective of their dispositions and the preferred methods to bring it about, for Realization will not happen, and we will not be able to see who really we are, without the story of the little self, so long as we retain the feeling of doership, and the ego-self is waxing and waning, and throwing its weight around smugly.   
Pranam,
  Anil         
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 11:46:26 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4947 on: September 08, 2017, 12:37:42 PM »
           CHORUS OF SPIRITS

Our spoil is won,
            Our task is done,
      We are free to dive, or soar, or run;
            Beyond and around,
            Or within the bound
      Which clips the world with darkness round.

We 'll pass the eyes
            Of the starry skies
      Into the hoar deep to colonize;
            Death, Chaos and Night,
            From the sound of our flight,
      Shall flee, like mist from a tempest's might.

And Earth, Air and Light,
            And the Spirit of Might,
      Which drives round the stars in their fiery flight;
            And Love, Thought and Breath,
            The powers that quell Death,
      Wherever we soar shall assemble beneath.
From Act 4, Prometheus Unbound, Sri Percy Bysshe Shelley

Dear devotees, I remember having read Sri M. Anantanarayanan's comment  that it was curious that Shelley, with a poet's intuition, should have sung:
"And Love, Thought and Breath,
The powers that quell Death"

However, when a western lady devotee named Mrs. Jennings read the following lines and asked from Sri Bhagwan if Sri Shelley was realized, Sri Bhagwan replied, "Yes. The lines are excellent. He must have realized what he wrote." Therefore, I do not feel that there is anything curious about some of the immortal compositions of the great romantic poets of the English Literature, for, obviously, they were able to give wonderful expression lyrically to what they glimpsed, and knew, for sure, rather intuitively.

"Within a cavern of man's trackless spirit
Is throned an Image, so intensely fair
That the adventurous thoughts that wander near it
Worship, and as they kneel, tremble and wear
The splendour of its presence, and the light
Penetrates their dreamlike frame
Till they become charged with the strength of flame."

"Relics of Shelley"

Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 12:44:29 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4948 on: September 08, 2017, 03:54:12 PM »
Two Congress volunteers asked the following questions:

Devotee: By obtaining wisdom through your grace, I want to teach and spread the knowledge all over the world.

Sri Bhagavan: First know yourself. Then if there is a world, you may think of teaching it. Without knowing yourself first, how can you help the world? It is like the blind leading the blind.

D: Why, can't I get the knowledge of the Atma from studying the vedanta sastras, where it is said that 'I am Brahman'?

Sri Bhagwan: The knowledge of the Atma is not in the vedanta sastras. Study yourself to gain the knowledge.

D: How to study the Self?

B: Is there anything apart from the Self? Abiding as the Self is studying the Self. Instead of this, if one learns sastras then he will get only garlands, good meals, wealth, name and fame, which are hindrances to knowledge.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 03:56:13 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4949 on: September 08, 2017, 04:45:46 PM »
Sri Kavi Yogi Suddhananda Bharti has reminisced thus:

I quickly remembered Sri Ramana Maharshi and felt His inner call. I put a semicolon to my spiritual pilgrimage and went quickly to Arunagiri. I went up the hill, took a bath in the waterfalls,  meditated in the Virupaksha cave and came down. Accidentally Seshadri Swami met me and smiled at me. I went near him and in his silvery voice he declared, "Go on and on, Shuddhananda, until you go deep in and in". He accompanied me a few yards and ran away saying, "Run, run, Ramana waits for you. Go in and in".
I reached Ramanasramam and entered the small shrine of the Mother. There was a square room adjoining it and Nayana stood up exclaiming, "Welcome, Welcome! Swagatam"! Sri Ramana's gentle voice said, "Let Bharati come in. Bharati  varattum".
I saw no human form. I felt dazed. An effulgence enveloped me. My mind disappeared into silence. I sat down, closed my eyes and entered the inner cave -- nihitam guhayam. An hour passed like five minutes. I came back to myself, opened my eyes and saw Sri Ramana's lotus eyes riveted on mine. He appeared like a linga spreading rays of burnished gold. "'Now you have felt That', the cave is open! the 'I' is the Self-nectar!". After all these years of sadhana, here I experienced a delightful inner reality which is beyond word and thought --Yato vaacho nivartante aprapya manassa saha. I caught hold of His feet and shed tears of delight singing with Saint Manickavachakar, who sang, "Today Thou hast risen in my heart a Sun destroying darkness".

Blaze on, O Light Divine
Swallowing I and mine.
The Self rose like the Sun
The many merged into the ONE.
Behold the beacon of I
Inner Light of every Eye,
Towering above He, She and it,
A new dawn of inner delight.

Source: Sri Ramana Smrti
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 04:57:27 PM by eranilkumarsinha »