Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 755945 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #4890 on: October 18, 2016, 11:33:02 AM »
Quote from Sri Balaji:
"Everyone knows what great stress Sri Bhagavan lays on atma vichara, self-enquiry. He wrote in Atma Vidya Kirtanam, 'Self-knowledge is an easy thing, the easiest thing there is'. Yet, surprisingly, not once of his own accord did he ever ask any devotee to follow this method. He could have ordered the practice of self-enquiry and all the devotees would have blindly and willingly followed..."

Quote from Sri Sadhak:
"What is surprising?  He has said that all paths must ultimately lead to self enquiry. And he has also said that the path of vichara is for advanced seekers. Blind following is not self enquiry. Bhagavan knew that in due course everyone will come to self enquiry. But self enquiry is not for everyone instantly.  There is no question of ordering anybody."

"Again different sadhanas are only preliminaries to purify the mind to reach the stage of self enquiry.  Each seeker can follow his sadhana that helps to prepare him for self enquiry. Bhagavan never demanded anything from anybody. It would only be surprising (to say the least) if he ordered or demanded anything."

Dear Sri Balaji and Sri Sadhak,

Yes, there is no question of ordering anybody to practice any spiritual teaching, for, in my view, following and practicing any spiritual teaching blindly is futile. Yes, He has said that the Path of Atma-vichara or the Self-enquiry is for advanced seekers. But, nevertheless, I feel that 'Advanced Sadhana' and 'Advanced seekers' have not been understood in proper perspective here, for we forget that He also taught preliminary  Sadhana of Vichara to start with, that is, "to whom has this thought occurred? To me? Who am I?", to attain, to some extent, at least, cessation of thought waves to enable a sincere sadhaka to practice real (say advanced) Self-enquiry. 

Sri Tanmayananda Sarasvati has written that far blessed is a simple but sincere seeker unschooled in such intellectual gymnastics as he is better positioned to practice the teachings straightaway without being saddled with tomes of accumulated academic information. 

My view regarding this contention is this that if one is drawn to Sri Bhagwan's Lotus Feet and His Teaching of Atma-vichara, such a one, of course, in my view, is a mature seeker to seek the Self directly within, without wasting time in the preparation of Self-enquiry, for this practice itself prepares an earnest seeker to perform straightaway 'Just Stand Still' or practicing directly the 'Sahaja Samadh', without invoking 'Who am I?'. If one graduates to practice Sahaja Samadhi straightaway, Vichara indeed becomes a Great Practice which can be performed anywhere anytime, that is, even in the midst of myriad mental and physical activities! Indeed, in my view, such a one has arrived!

Sri Sadhu Om has explained wonderfully the difference between the 'Sahaja Samadhi' and 'Practice of Sahaja Samadh'i thus:
"Being eternally aware of nothing other than oneself is sahaja Samadhi (which is another name for manonasa , atma-jnana or jagrat-sushupti), and TRYING  TO  BE  ALWAYS  AWARE  OF  NOTHING  OTHER  THAN  ONESELF  IS  PRACTICING  SAHAJA  SAMADHI. Sahaja Samadhi our goal, and the only way to attain is to practice it here and now."

Therefore, dear friends and devotees, one must understand what is preliminary practice of the Enquiry the form of which is 'to whom? To me? Who am I?', the advanced stage of practice of remaining aware of only oneself, and finally attaining the Goal of being eternally aware of nothing other than oneself, and that is Self-realization Sri Bhagwan speaks of.

Thanks very much, dear friends.
Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 11:39:51 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4891 on: October 20, 2016, 04:17:42 PM »
          Hridaya Guha

Curling tendrils of Grace,
Pull me to your Heart-cave, O Ramana!

Let the Power of this Hill in all Its forms
Reveal the Self-shining within.

May the banyan tree of Wisdom
Strangle and starve the habits of my mind.

Flesh-eating birds of Bliss,
Tear away the memory of desire.

Lightening of Inquiry, blazing fire,
Burn the knotted ropes,
Loosening, falling,
Falling away.

Iron-rich boulders of Sadhana,
Crush the bones of grief then burn them in your furnace,
Blue-black as night.

Cleansing rain of Surrender,
Wash away the ash, the cloaking haze of regret.

Healing nectar of Devotion,
Dissolve the leaf bed on which I dream.
Unwrap my shrouded thoughts,
Let the vibrations of Your Name
Drench my mind with the Medicine of You.

Aruna Path, with your tender stones of Grace, mercifully
Lead me to my sweet demise,
O Ramana, in the cave your dominion.

Such is Your Love, O Arunachala,
that I will not survive your mercy.

No greater Bliss is there than this;
To become the Space in which
the soaring Arunagiri birds wing home.

Sri Janet Rubinson
Source: Mountain Path

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4892 on: October 20, 2016, 04:19:21 PM »
Dear Devotees,

Space (Pure Existence), or Being can never be grasped or understood by way of thoughts. The Pure Existence, Which is our Being, Pure and Simple, can only be grasped and understood by stilling our mind. If the mind which is the out-going faculty is turned within, it becomes still as one progresses. A still mind   is what is termed as 'no mind'. Therefore, no mind is the Pure Mind which really means a state of thought-free awareness. This is why Sri Bhagwan has taught that Brahman cannot be apprehended by impure mind (bundle of thoughts) but only by Pure Mind which is verily Absolute Consciousness. When a thought arises and one identies with it one misses one's being, one's existence, or the Presence That is none other than one's own Real Self or 'I' or the Swarupa. Dear devotees, it is absolutely crystal-clear now that if we are to ever contact our existence or being or the Self or the Presence, it can happen only through the state of silence or thought-free awareness, for thought-free awareness alone is real Silence. It wouldn't do to say that one does not know what is awareness or being or existence which are one and the same or synonyms!

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil           
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 07:23:23 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4893 on: October 23, 2016, 04:25:48 PM »
Sri Michael James:

"At present our attachment to other things is very strong, but more we try to attend to 'I' alone, the more strongly we will become attached to 'I', and the more our attachment to other things will thereby be weakened, until eventually our attachment to 'I' will completely destroy all our attachments to anything else. This is why Sri Ramana used to say that we should cling firmly to aham-spurippu, the clear shining of 'I', and............."
Source Mountain Path

Dear Devotees,

Sri Michael James, in a beautiful article on Sri Bhagwan's Teaching on 'Aham Sphurna' and 'Aham spurippu', and as published in the Mountain Path, has explained that 'Aham Spurippu' is the state in which our Self-awareness shines clearly, having relinquished its hold on the body and mind by attaching itself firmly to Self alone. When we attend only to Self, thereby ceasing to attend to anything else, we experience a fresh clarity of self-awareness, which is what is called 'Aham Spurippu' or 'Aham Sphurana'. Yes, I feel that this is indeed a wonderful explanation of Sri Bhagwan's Teaching on 'Aham Sphurana'.

However, I wish to say that devotees who have just been initiated on the Path of Vichara by His Grace, need not worry that they are not able to attend firmly to 'I' alone, that is, without attending to anything else, for Sri Bhagwan has taught that if the Self is apprehended even vaguely, it eventually leads to Realization. Therefore, since He has also taught that Self-enquiry is clinging firmly to aham-vriti, that is, 'I'-ness, or the sense of 'I' or 'I am'-ness, which is the primary datum of all our experiences whatsoever, I am cent percent certain  that fresh clarity of Self-awareness will happen daily, and I am certain that this fresh clarity will go on becoming fresher and fresher and more fresher until that Clarity shines only as 'I  AM  I', which is direct cognition of the Self culminating in Self-realization, provided one perseveres in this direct seeking of the Atma-swarupa!!

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil         
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 04:41:21 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4894 on: October 23, 2016, 04:51:38 PM »
To destroy the false first person that rises as I, our Lord incarnated Himself in an appropriate way upon this earth as the Jnana-Guru to  PROMULGATE  the inquiry method, 'Who am I?'. The way to attain His Divine Feet of Silence that are the state of liberation is to come to Him and remain fully under the dominion of our Lord who is the Supreme Light of Grace, Jnana.
Sri Muruganar   

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #4895 on: October 26, 2016, 01:51:41 PM »
Padamalai

Question: Before and after meditation I get many thoughts about the unhappy people of the world.

Bhagavan: First find out whether there is an ?I? in You or not. It is this ego 'I' [ahamkara] that gets these thoughts and, as a result, you feel weakness. Therefore find out how identification with the body takes place. Body consciousness is the cause of all misery. When you conduct the enquiry into the ego 'I', you will find out its source and you will be able to remove it. After that there will be no more questions of the type you are asking.'
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

silence

• View Profile
« Reply #4896 on: January 17, 2017, 07:26:09 AM »
Sri Michael James:

"At present our attachment to other things is very strong, but more we try to attend to 'I' alone, the more strongly we will become attached to 'I', and the more our attachment to other things will thereby be weakened, until eventually our attachment to 'I' will completely destroy all our attachments to anything else. This is why Sri Ramana used to say that we should cling firmly to aham-spurippu, the clear shining of 'I', and............."
Source Mountain Path

I have a little doubt on this. Is not the I though ego? Does that mean we should also eventually get rid of I thought?

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4897 on: February 05, 2017, 04:37:50 PM »
Quote from Sri silence:
"I have a little doubt on this. Is not the I thought ego? Does that mean we should also eventually get rid of I thought?"

Dear Sri silence,

Yes, the I-thought is the ego 'I' that gets all the thoughts whatsoever. Real 'I' is the Self, or Pure Being, or the Existence Itself. This ego 'I' appears and disappears while the Real 'I', the Pure Being, or the Self, or the Self-Consciousness, is forever there, here and now, neither rising nor setting, and It is That of Which we are always aware and experiencing all the time--in waking, dream and deep sleep states--It is never totally veiled. Our denial of Its awareness is imaginary and fictitious, isn't it?

Yes, we must get rid of this 'I'-thought or this ego 'I', which is the mind, by Self-enquiry which drives the thought-force deeper and deeper till it reaches the Source  and merges therein, and thus, sooner than later, makes us aware of the Self or our Real Nature! Yes, this ego 'I' is the mind which needs to be eliminated for once and all. But remember, Sri Bhagwan has taught that instead of asserting that that there is a mind and we need to eliminate it, we must begin to find its Source, and if that is done then we find lo! there is in fact no such thing as the mind, that it does not exist at all!!We gradually become aware that we are Consciousness, the Pure Being only, and so far we were gravely mistaken to take the thought to be the Self.

Thanks very much,
Pranam,
  Anil

Note: dear devotees, in order to realize His Grace unobstructed, I am prompted and inspired from within to minimise physical and mental activities as far as possible. I must say that Silence and Self-attention are more emphatic now, and hence I am not able to attend to this forum and sharing anything regularly. However, I am visiting Sri Ramanasramam on March 25, and by His Grace, I have been allowed to stay there for a few days. I wish to stay in the Ashram for at least five days and remain established at His Holy Feet, remaining absorbed in the palpable Silence and His Grace. May be I would be able to share my experience then with you after I return to my worldly home from the Heavenly Abode. Thanks. Pranam, Anil.               

« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 04:40:46 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4898 on: February 18, 2017, 11:42:48 AM »
Quote from Sri Balaji
"Padamalai

Question: Before and after meditation I get many thoughts about the unhappy people of the world.

Bhagavan: First find out whether there is an 'I' in You or not. It is this ego 'I' [ahamkara] that gets these thoughts and, as a result, you feel weakness. Therefore find out how identification with the body takes place. Body consciousness is the cause of all misery. When you conduct the enquiry into the ego 'I', you will find out its source and you will be able to remove it. After that there will be no more questions of the type you are asking.'"

Dear Sri Balaji, Sri silence, and Devotees,

The Self is ever perfect, Isn't It? Therefore, saying that the Self is ever perfect and infinite, and there is a little self or finite 'I', is a contradiction in terms. Infinity and Perfection do not admit of parts. If we understand and assimilate this simple fact, we at once become aware of the Self-Consciousness or Being! This is why Sri Bhagwan kept on insisting to earnest seekers to find out whether there is really an 'I', that is, the 'I'-thought or the ego-'I', because, in truth, there is none.  True 'I', which does not say even 'I', alone is the Self, which is simple, ever-present being.

This is why Sri Bhagwan has taught, as in your quote above quote, to find out how identification with the body takes place, because the rise of 'I'-thought and its identification with the body happen simultaneously. This rise of the root thought  ('I'-thought) and its identification with the body is the root of all identifications whatever. Since Realization, Sri Bhagwan speaks of, is the end of all identifications, He has taught to seek the Source of the 'I'-thought, for if we do that earnestly and sincerely, it takes to flight, being totally imagined, a mere reflection, and therefore, unreal, and what remains is the true 'I' or the Self or the being.
Dear devotees, in my view, Sri Bhagwan's terming the phantom-like, pernicious ego as the 'I'-thought (that is, it is thought after all ) itself is a great clue for the earnest seekers to realize the ever-abiding Self.

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan always taught to realize the Self or be the Self rather than meditate ?
'I am the Self', for by meditating on 'I am the Self' may lead even a sincere sadhaka to an impenetrable mental identification with some subtle concept of the Self rather than realizing the Self.

And, dear devotees, hence His Emphasis on the Direct Path of Atma-vichara or the Self-enquiry , by which we, of course,can progressively realize that we are not the thought of 'I' or the feeling of 'I' or the sense of 'I' or the mere reflection of 'I', but that, 'I AM I', THE SELF OR THE BEING OR  THE ATMAN,  OR, I AM THAT I AM!!!

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil     
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 04:13:09 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4899 on: February 18, 2017, 12:16:29 PM »
Sri Bhagwan: EVERYONE  IS  AWARE  OF  THE  ETERNAL  SELF.

Dear devotees, everyone of us is aware of the eternal Silence of the Self or the Silence of the Self-consciousness, but is deluded by the intermingling  of the conscious Self with this log of an insentient body.  Sri Bhagwan has taught that this delusion is only concomitant with the ego or the 'I'-thought, which rises and sinks, and appears and disappears. This very delusion, every earnest seeker experienced DROP in His Presence THEN, and experiences drop even now in Sri Ramasramam. And thus every earnest seeker experienced then and is experiencing now His Grace or the Self, for the Self alone is the Grace, Sri Bhagwan speaks of.
Pranam,
  Anil     
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 12:18:06 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4900 on: February 18, 2017, 12:33:41 PM »
Dear devotees, I read in Mountain Path Sri Meister Eckhart saying,
"The eye through which I see God and the eye through which God sees me are the same eye", and, "my truest 'I' is God".

Yes, indeed, Sri Bhagwan has also taught that the Self is the Infinite Eye, and that the same Self of all is the Self of God.

It follows that Self is I-God.

Pranam,
 Anil

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4901 on: February 23, 2017, 08:45:43 PM »
See the Self alone.  Meditate within yourself. 
Enjoy yourself within yourself.
  Verily, there is nothing besides the Self.

Ribhu:  Hearken!  All is Brahman alone. 
This is the truth, verily the truth in the name of  Siva.
 In the certitude of the Self, O chief of the Yogis,
there  is no other even in the least.

The song of the sage Ribhu

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4902 on: February 28, 2017, 10:24:22 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Indeed! Paying attention to the Source after asking whence 'I'-thought or breath or japa arises opens up, at once, great possibility for the seekers of Truth or God. For, when one is drawn to the great Teaching of Sri Bhagwan Ramana's Self-enquiry, and when a seeker and a devotee asks 'For whom this thought? Who am I?', and thus attention or consciousness is withdrawn from the thought, leaving the mind still, albeit momentarily in the beginning with longer and longer duration as Sadhana progresses, Grace manifests and one contacts one's own True Self or state of 'mere being'. Indeed, it is most astonishing and wonderful, when during Sadhana thought intervenes and one resorts to or invokes 'For whom this thought? Who am I?', and experiences the dissolution of that thought!! And when this happens, one's faith deepens and 'love and longing' are bound to arise, rather sooner than later.

Indeed, with this intuited wisdom, which arises on account of quiescence and stillness of the mind when one watches the thought dissolve,one not only becomes aware of the being or the Self, one begins to have taste of divine love spontaneouly. Divine love surges forth in the heart, which is non-sectarian and non-dual. This is love for God or love for the Divine or love for God in everyone and everything, Lord Sri Krishna speaks of in the Gita, and Sri Rama Krishna Paramhamsa taught as the Essence of Spirituality! Thus, in my view and experience, intuited Wisdom and Knowledge happening due to stillness of mind, brought about or effected by Enquiry, albeit briefly for a beginner during sadhana, leads a seeker to discrimination between real and unreal, and love and longing for the Divine, culminating in Self-realization, which is the end of sadhana.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil     
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 10:36:07 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4903 on: February 28, 2017, 04:03:52 PM »
Dear Devotees,

We all here desire to be aware of our Self. Do we not? Well, Sri Bhagwan has taught that the fact that we are possessed of the quest of the Self is manifestation of divine Grace, for Grace is effulgent in the heart, being the Inner Being, the real Self, drawing us all unceasingly from within. This is why we attempt to get in from without in the first place. And I am fully convinced that all earnest seekers who begin on the Path and attempt to go within, from without, feel and experience palpably the inner movement, which Sri Bhagwan has taught is manifestation of Grace. There is nothing heresy about it, for a sincere and earnest devotee on the Path must have sensed the stirring palpably even when he conducted the Enquiry for the first time!

I was inspired to write as above for I suddenly remembered the ecstatic experience when, seized with divine fervor, I was compelled to ask 'Who am I?' for the first time, and experienced this stirring deep within palpably, which I later understood as graced, deep inner movement Sri Bhagwan speaks of. Now, a desire arose to share this experience, which always compelled and nudged me on and on, with you.

Thanks very much,
Pranam,
  Anil     
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 04:09:16 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4904 on: February 28, 2017, 04:16:43 PM »
Dear Sri Jewell, thank you so much!

Pranam,
  Anil