Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 757040 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #4860 on: September 15, 2016, 12:53:09 PM »
Om  bhavarogabhisagvaraya  namah

Prostration to the Best of Physicians who destroy the ego, the root cause of all disease and discomfort.

The disease of mistaking this phenomenal existence as real is cured radically by destroying the ego through administering the Master Medicine, ATMA-VICHARA. Bhagwan Sri Ramana manifests Vaidyanathan, Lord Siva, the Master Physician, who cures our sorrows and releases us from the wheel of samsara.
Source: Mountain Path

Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan's Path is indeed the Master Medicine, that is, the Panacea, to cure all diseases whatsoever, for the Self-attention, if done properly with earnestness and perseverance, is sure to culminate into the Realization of the Atma-swarupa and Bliss-Nature of the Natural State. Why, even during sadhana, if one practice Self-attention, or Self-ward attention correctly, such a one will certainly find it to be a great, great relief and relaxation form our normal anguished, mental and physical activities. And memory of this relief and relaxation  derived from sadhana keeps on prompting the sadhaka to taste the same again and again till the Practice is no longer a mere practice, a technique or a method, for which particular time is to be allotted, but verily becomes a way of life.  This is the goal.

Dear devotees, we have seen in this forum some sadhakas of the Path of the Atma-vichara complaining of a heated brain or emotional outbursts as a result of practicing Self-enquiry or the Self-attention. Yes, of course, such development shows that Self-attention is not being practiced properly.

Dear devotees, so long as our vasanas  or outward-going predispositions of the mind are still strong, our minds will certainly be frequently drawn outwards. It,  therefore, follows that our repeated practice will create some friction and tension. This is why, in my view, one should not practice Self-attention continuously and forcibly. One should practice it for as long as one finds relief and relaxation, intermittently. We should remember Sri Bhagwan's Words of Grace that Self-Enquiry is a gentle method, and it reins in the mind in the same way persuasively as a rogue cow, used to stealthily graze outside, is tempted by luscious fodder to keep her to her stall.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil         
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 12:56:49 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: September 15, 2016, 03:13:57 PM »
Sri Sadhu Om:

Begin by mentally saying 'I', and then try to cling to the self-awareness evoked by this word. You may be able to cling to it for only a few seconds at a time, but even that is beneficial. When you notice that your attention has become extroverted, you should try again, and should continue trying repeatedly until you find your interest in doing so is slackening, and then you should take a rest for a while.
Mountain Path

Dear devotees, if interest in Self-ward attention is slackening and wavering soon again and again, it is advisable to take a rest for a while, for forcible meditation in such a state may generate in some cases some friction and tension, resulting in some heat in the brain and in other some such symptoms. There is another benefit in taking a rest for a while, while interest in Self-ward attention slackens. When one is not able to penetrate further deeper, it is advisable to leave it here, because when one starts afresh, one is sure to find himself penetrating deeper and deeper,  REMAINING  CLUNG  TO  THE  SELF-AWARENESS  ALL  THE  WHILE. 
Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 03:18:08 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: September 15, 2016, 05:32:38 PM »
Dear devotees, the most important thing is to begin trying, even if only for a few minutes a day. Sri Sadhu Om narrates a beautiful story of the camel and the tent, as a simile, to show the efficacy of trying at least even a little but rather persistently thus:

The Story:

"In Arabia a man was sleeping in his tent, and his camel was sleeping outside, but it was very cold. At first the camel put its nose in the tent. And the man allowed it, thinking "Yes, poor creature, it is cold outside." Then the camel pushed its whole head inside, and still the man allowed it. Gradually it edged more of its body inside, until eventually it occupied the whole tent. And the man found himself lying outside. Likewise, if we attempt to be self-attentive for at least a few moments here and there during each day, that will gradually push out our interest in everything else and thereby lead eventually to our goal.
The important thing is to have a liking to practice self-attention. By satsanga, which means reading, discussing, reflecting on and practicing Bhagwan's Teachings and constantly remembering that self-knowledge is the only worthy aim in life, we gain more and more liking for it. This liking will lead us to our goal."

Dear devotees, this liking is but the love for the Self. Sri Bhagwan has taught that to realize the Self, one must love the Self, and that is bhakti. This is why He revealed that the Path of Enquiry was all-inclusive.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 05:34:48 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: September 16, 2016, 05:59:29 PM »
The body itself is not more than out thought.
There can be no body in the absence of thoughts.

THE  WORLD  IS  ONLY  SPIRITUAL.

Since you are identifying yourself with the physical body
You speak of this world as being physical.

Where as, that which IS, is only spiritual.

Source: Heart is Thy Name , Oh Lord

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: September 16, 2016, 06:41:27 PM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana:
"When the mind expands in the form of countless thoughts, each thought becomes weak; but as thoughts get resolved the mind becomes one-pointed and strong. For such a mind Self-enquiry will become easy."

Dear Sri OmNamahShivaya

If you keep on thinking that you are a sinner and you have committed sins, etc., and allowing thoughts to develop and have better of you, how will your mind become one-pointed? Living an ego-mind based life who is not a sinner, who has not committed any sin? Resorting to Brahamastra, who thinks that he is a sinner? It is the ego-mind destruction of which is the goal.

Dear Sri OmNamah, whenever thought of sins you think you have committed assails you, at once, without losing time, fire this infallible Brahamastra, and ask ,"Who Am I?" and try to hold onto the sense of 'I'-ness evoked by attending to 'I', for as long as possible. Even if you are able to hold on the sense of 'I'-ness for a few moments, to start with, you need not loose heart, for if you do the same repeatedly many times a day, or whenever you remember your sadhana, this small opening and His Grace are sure to nudge and prod  you  further  and finally lead you on to the Royal and Straight Path of the Enquiry, provided you persevere in you effort with earnestness and love. Please do not suppress thoughts forcibly. Hold onto yourself, the seer, and lo! You find Witnessing Awareness is witnessing Itself?
Last not but the least: Self-enquiry is its own Teacher. Please persevere, and Sri Bhagwan has assured that everything will come right in the end.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil     
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 08:18:48 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: September 17, 2016, 08:05:09 AM »
"Two years have come and gone since last I crossed the threshold of Thy Ashram and yet in spirit I have ever remained there."

"Though illusion still often veils the vision of Reality revealed in the blessed Silence of Thy Presence."

"Though the Silver Thread of Self-awareness be often lost midst changing light and shadows, STILL  THE  INNER  URGE  TO  REALIZE  THE  SELF  REMAINS  AND  GROWS  STRONGER  AND  MORE  INSISTENT  AS  GRACE  AND  SEARCH  GO  HAND  IN  HAND."

"At times, yet rare, with no apparent cause, spontaneous awareness of the 'I' springs up and bliss fills the heart with glowing warmth. Effortless concentration goes with this state while all desires do come to rest fulfilled in utmost peace, till once more the veil is drawn illusion seeks to blur the vision of the Real."

"Yet what the soul has experienced and knows repeatedly as Truth, can neither be denied nor ever forgotten and 'That Which IS' gives constant strength to persevere."

"I pray to Thee as to My Self for light and guidance that I know are ever there at Thy Feet lay offerings of unchanging love."

Talk--603

Dear Devotees,

This is the content of a letter written to Sri Bhagwan by a devotee named Sri Pascaline. Such experience, in which the experiencer, the experienced and the experiencing are all merged in Self, and only the Atma-swarupa remains, is not rare among those who love Sri Bhagwan in the hearts and practice His Teachings.

If the mind (soul) experiences and knows the Truth repeatedly, it will, out of sheer fascination, more often than not, will seek  to go deeper and deeper, and thus the blissful state of pure being gives constant strength to persevere, as Sri Pascaline affirmed.
Dear devotees, when one has progressed thus in sadhana, spontaneous awareness of 'I', that is, an experience in which one experiences oneself and only oneself, and nothing else whatsoever, will spring up gradually more often, and not rarely. 

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil           
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 08:12:15 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: September 17, 2016, 10:47:34 AM »
Whatever is seen is seen by that Light.
Just as the eye cannot see without sunlight, the mi d cannot see without Self-light, that is, the Light that illumines everything.
Everything acts or shines by virtue of That.
The sun, the moon, the stars and fire shine because THE  SELF-GOD  SHINES.
Source: Aruna of the Golden Fire

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: September 17, 2016, 11:31:39 AM »
At the touch of Being,
none can fail to be flooded
with light. But no longer can
anyone preserve his petty and
ephemeral individuality in the
mighty blast of that Flame
which irresistibly impels all
things towards
Being.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: September 17, 2016, 12:06:41 PM »
Who is Arunachala?

The best definition is
"I  AM  THAT  I  AM."

It is only Being,
but different from
the real and the unreal.

It is knowledge,
but different from
knowledge and ignorance.

How can it be
Defined at all?
It is simply Being.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4869 on: September 17, 2016, 12:47:47 PM »
Dear devotees, Self neither knows nor is known, and to use the term 'Knowledge of the Self' is not correct either. Why this unknowability of the Self and for the Self? I invite you all to say a few words in response.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 12:49:56 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: September 17, 2016, 05:54:40 PM »
Sri Arthur Osborne:
"What is required is willingness to open one's heart to truth, to surrender oneself, give up one's ego, CONCEIVE  OF  THE  POSSIBILITY  OF  ITS  NON-EXISTENCE, give up one's life for Christ's sake. That is why the Qur'an speaks of unbelievers rather as perverse than ignorant, saying that even if an angel from heaven came down to explain to them they would not listen."

"Theoretical understanding is not enough. Neither is belief in the sense of a conviction that this or that will happen after death. What is needed is to set one's hand to the plough, as Christ put it, to undertake the true alchemy, transmuting the dross in one's nature to gold. This is the quest of the Sangrail (Holy Grail), the search for the elixir of life, the eternal youth of the Spirit. IT  IS  THE  PATHWAY  OF  HEROES, THE  WAY  FROM  TRIVIALITIES  TO  GRANDEUR. Its consummation is like waking up from a dream into the ever-existent Reality."
Source: For Those with Little Dust

Dear devotees, I shall never cease to be fascinated by such great devotees, writers and poets as Sri Sadhu Om, Sri Muruganar, Sri Lakshmana Sarma, Sri Arthur Osborne , Sri Narsimha Swami, and others.
Pranam,
  Anil         
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 05:57:02 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: September 18, 2016, 08:41:13 AM »
Dear Devotees,

I have always endeavoured to write and post only those things in this topic, which I myself lived, understood, grasped and experienced, as far as possible. Have I not? Well, what follow are some of the passages from Sri Arthur Osborne's works which I read in 2005, and which moved me so deeply that I wept and sobbed uncontrollably for some time.

Sri Arthur Osborne:

Early in 1948, constant physical proximity had ceased to be necessary, and professional work had become urgently necessary. Work was found in Madras. I took with me a life-size photograph of Bhagwan painted over in oils-a gift from  Dr. T. N. Krishnaswamy, a devotee and photographer. I showed it to Bhagwan before leaving, and He took it in His hands and returned it saying, "HE  IS  TAKING  SWAMI  WITH  HIM." Since then it has looked at me with the love and compassion of a Guru and spoken more profoundly than all other portraits.
Thereafter I went to Tiruvannamalai only for week ends and holidays, and each visit was revitalizing. I was there at the time of one of the operations that Bhagwan suffered and had darshan immediately after it, and the graciousness of His reception melted the heart and awoke remorse to think how great was the reward for so little effort made. I was there that fateful April night of the body's death and felt a calm beneath the grief and a wonder at the fortitude Bhagwan had implanted in His devotees to bear their loss. Gradually one after another began to discover in his heart the truth that Bhagwan had not gone away but, as He promised, is still here.
Since that day His Presence in the heart has been more vital, the outpouring of Grace more abundant, His support more powerful. THE  GRACE  THAT  EMANATES  FROM  THE  TOMB  IS  THE  GRACE  OF  THE  LIVING  RAMANA.
During these years I had felt no urge to write about Bhagwan. After His body's death and His reassurance , "I am not going away; I am here; where could I go?", there was a dream in which He called me up to Him and , as I knelt before His couch, placed His hands on my head in blessing. At this time an impulse came to write about Bhagwan and especially to explain the accessibility of the path of Self-enquiry which He taught.
Source: For Those with Little Dust

Dear devotees, when I visited Sri  Ramanasramam first in 2007, I also took with myself a life-size portrait of Bhagwan Sri Ramana, and while carrying it all the way to my home in Patna, I felt that I was taking my Guru with me, while all the while He was in the heart! Well, this portrait is not painted over in oils, but, all the same, it looks at me with the love and compassion of the Guru and Father,  AND  I  FEEL  THAT  NOBODY  WHOSOEVER  AND  NOTHING  WHATSOEVER  HAS  SPOKEN  TO  ME  MORE  PROFOUNDLY  THAN   THIS  PORTRAIT  IN  MY  LIFE  SO  FAR.

Dear devotees, I also do not have any doubt that the Grace that emanates from His Shrine is the Grace of the Living Guru, for each visit to His Shrine not only revitalized me but cleared some of my doubts and always went a long way in establishing me in my sadhana of the Self-attention or the Self-enquiry.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil         
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 08:46:17 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4872 on: September 18, 2016, 12:12:06 PM »
Knowing the Self means being the Self,
and being means existence, one's own existence.

Reality is at once being and consciousness.
To know that is to be in the heart
Transcending thoughts.

Being what one already is
is effortless, since
being is always present and
always experienced.

The one unalterable reality
is being.
Until you realize that state of
Pure being
you should pursue the enquiry.

Source: Absolute Consciousness     
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 12:14:19 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: September 18, 2016, 12:32:46 PM »
                              To search for God
   ignoring You who stand as Being and shine as Awareness
             is like looking, lamp in hand, for darkness.

Dear devotees, being means existence, our own existence, the one unalterable reality, which we cannot deny. Can we ? However much we deny, truth is 'being' is always present, always experienced, and standing tall as 'I'. We need to penetrate to our Core, that is, the Heart, and realize that that which we call 'I', is, in Its absolute purity, the Supreme Self or the Being-Awareness. Indeed, then, ignoring to look within our own reality and searching Him without is like looking, lamp in hand, for darkness!
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 12:35:15 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4874 on: September 18, 2016, 05:24:08 PM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana:
"The moment the ego-self tries to know itself it changes in character; it begins to partake less and less of the body, in which it is absorbed, and more and more of pure consciousness, the Self or Atman."

"The path of Knowledge is only to dive inward with the mind, not uttering the word 'I', and to question whence, as 'I', it rises. To meditate 'This is not I' or 'That I am' may be an aid, but how can it form the enquiry?"
"When the mind, inwardly enquiring 'Who am I?' attains the heart, something of Itself manifests as 'I-I', so that the individual 'I' must bow in shame. Though manifesting, it is not 'I' by nature but perfection, and this is the Self."
V. 29 &30, Reality in Forty Verses, as translated by Sri Osborne

Sri Osborne: "The Direct Path awakens Love through Knowledge. It is not knowledge of one by another or mind-knowledge, but the awakening Bliss of the Self to which the mind is drawn and in which it is absorbed in Love."

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 05:27:05 PM by eranilkumarsinha »