Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758431 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #4845 on: September 11, 2016, 08:41:31 AM »
Dear Sri Amarendra Bhai,

Yes, I am sorry. I missed your call, I missed your post.  But then, you know what we are up against when monsoon clouds reach the Himalayan Ranges, spread and lashes, often mercilessly, in the catchments of North Indian rivers including Master Trunk Drainage Channel, that is, the Holy River Ganga, and devastating runoff overflows, breaches the flood embankments, submerges towns and villages, and thus causes terrible and irreparable loss to lives and properties. I can only say that in such times of crisis, work becomes worship, and sincere duty, done to one's satisfaction, becomes sadhana. Thank you so much, my dear, dear friend, Sri Amarendra bhai. 

THIS  BODY,  IS  IT  'I'  ?
Bhagwan Sri Ramana

Real Silence (Silence of the Self) is ABSOLUTE  AWARENESS. That Real Silence, that Perfect Awareness, alone is Real 'I'.  That 'I' is, in truth, Existence who is absolutely conscious of Truth or Reality 'I AM'. Therefore, when 'I' is Existence-Consciousness (Sat-Chit), which is the Silence of the Absolute Awareness, observance of such long silences (weather voluntarily or involuntarily) are, in my view, Guru-sent contrivances and opportunities, even if they are sporadic. 

Thanks again, dear Sri Amarendra bhai.
Pranam,
 Anil               
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 08:45:51 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4846 on: September 11, 2016, 12:26:26 PM »
Dear Devotees,

Being Reality ourselves, we seek to gain Reality!!

Bhagwan Sri Ramana has taught unequivocally, with perfect clarity, that we are surprised when, at long last, it is revealed that we, in truth, are trying frantically to attain something which we all have always been and ARE. Nothing is added, only accretions are taken away, or we may say, are gone!!!! 

Dear devotees, we need to sift the Reality of the Self from the unreality of myriad superimpositions and identifications that cover and shroud 'US', the Self, ( I have used the word 'shroud' here deliberately), and  transcend the doubt.

Therefore, dear devotees, if this otherwise mundane life is to be really meaningful, we need urgently to be the Self that we really ever are. Sri Bhagwan has taught that to be the Self is the only means whatsoever to realise the Bliss of the Self. How else will the Bliss of the Self realised? It is so palpable and, therefore, easy to grasp, assimilate and practice. If we do our part, Bliss is merely revealed as our true and Natural State.   

Sri Bhagwan:  BLISS  OF  THE  SELF  IS  ALWAYS  WITH  YOU. 
"And you will find it for yourself, if you seek it earnestly."

Therefore, all we need do is to seek It earnestly and we find it for ourselves.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 12:39:03 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4847 on: September 11, 2016, 01:22:04 PM »
Dear Devotees,

Physical Sciences are founded on four great, mental concepts of matter and energy and space and time. Is it not? Well, matter has collapsed, energy has become ghost-like, and space and time have become physically unintelligible space-time to be explained only by complex and complicated differential, mathematical equations. Have they not? Therefore, one who is seized with divine fervour to know the Atma-swarupa must understand that even modern physical sciences can reveal nothing more than what it revealed in ancient and medieval times, for it is trying to catch the shadow of That Which really Is. The more it investigates, the more it recedes to the background.
This is why Sri Bhagwan has taught that sifting the Self from the not-Self is the greatest science, for what the science seeks to investigate is only the objects, quite oblivious of the all-important seers (investigators), nay the Seer the Self.

Dear devotees, when at long last the Science realises the futility of groping in the darkness of illusory objects and turns within finally to investigate the seers themselves, rather than the objects, Science is metamorphosed obliterating the dividing line, and then only it can be said that Science has truly arrived, from the Standpoint of Reality, which alone we here seek to investigate!!!!!

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil       
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 06:16:12 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4848 on: September 11, 2016, 02:08:57 PM »
"GURU'S  SILENCE  IS  MORE  VAST  AND  EMPHATIC  THAN  ALL  THE  SASTRAS  PUT  TOGETHER."
Sri Bhagwan

Dear devotees, old devotees often observed that they were fortunate to have 'Darshan' of His Physical Form. However, I wish to say that whenever and wherever thick cloud of Bhakti has formed in the transcendental Firmament of His Lotus Feet, even new one, drawn to Sri Bhagwan's Magnetism, has not felt oneself to be less fortunate in any way whatever. For, for such a one, even one concentrated Gaze at any of His Photographs can convey the Guru's Silence which is vaster and more emphatic than all the sastras put together, and transport one to the Bliss of the Stillness. His Photographs are undoubtedly potent and convey the same Silence old devotees contacted and experienced palpably in around Sri Ramanasramam before the Mahasamadhi. Therefore, those who live at great distances from Sri Arunachala and Sri Ramanasramam, His Teaching and Photographs are great widows and openings to  the Silence of the Self, for He is the Self beckoning us all ceaselessly.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil       
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 02:11:32 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4849 on: September 11, 2016, 02:59:12 PM »
The screen does not move when the pictures moves.  Similarly you do not move from where you are even when the body leaves home and mixes in society. Your body, society, the forest and the ways are all in you. If you remain as pure Self, the body and its movements will not affect you.
Sri Bhagwan

Dear devotees, what appears to affect is the mischievous mind. Whatever effort by way of sadhana we make, whether in solitude or in the thick of movements and activities or in the forest or at home, in Ashrams or in Temples or monasteries, it is mind and mind alone which must be overcome to realize the Atma-swarupa. I feel that if this is understood and grasped, everything else will certainly fall in line. Such is the Divine Grace, which, in truth, as I have understood and realized, is none other than the Guru-tattva, abiding and affirming Itself ceaselessly at the core of our Existence.   
Pranam,
 Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4850 on: September 11, 2016, 05:59:23 PM »
Quote from post no. 4833 on 24. 06.2016:
Sri Bhagwan:"if the enquiry is made whether mind exists, it will be found that mind does not exist. THAT  IS  CONTROL  OF  MIND.  Otherwise, if the mind is taken to exist and one seeks to control it, it amounts to mind controlling the mind, just like a thief turning out to be a policeman to catch the thief, i.e., himself. Mind persists in that way alone, but eludes itself."
Sri Bhagwan: "By steady and continuous investigation into the nature of mind, the mind is transformed into That to which 'I' refers; and that is in fact the Self." 

"I quoted from Sri Bhagwan's Teaching, as above, only to ask you to share your understanding, feeling and experience in respect of the above Teaching. How do the above two Passages of Grace on the mind-control stand reconciled for those whose minds are in-turned?" 

Dear Devotees,

But none of you responded to my above query! When the mind is turned inwards, the Source of Illumination shines forth by itself. And what happens to the mind? The answer is: When the sun has risen, has anyone seen the darkness? Mind is darkness. There can be no ignorance or there can be no mind before the Self-luminous Self.  Therefore, saying that mind does not exist is the same as saying that mind is transformed into That to which the 'I' refers, that is, the Self. This is why I wrote, as above, that the insight that the mind does not exist is akin to the insight that the mind is transformed into That, and therefore, both insights stand reconciled for those whose minds are in-turned.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 06:01:37 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4851 on: September 12, 2016, 07:14:23 AM »
Dear devotees, moreover, unlike in sciences such as Psychology, Psychoanalysis, etc., Self-enquiry is not the mind?s inspection, analysis and study of its own contents. 

Tracing the mind's first mode, the 'I'-thought, to its source which is the Self, is to focus the entire mind at the WITNESSING  AWARENESS, that is, AT  THAT  WHO  SEES, and thus transcend the mind. This is how the mind is reined or brought under control, rather persuasively, by Self-enquiry or the Atma-vichara as taught by Bhagwan Sri Ramana.
Pranam,
  Anil 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 07:16:26 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4852 on: September 12, 2016, 07:40:38 AM »
THE  SEAT  OF  REALIZATION  IS  WITHIN.

The seeker cannot find it as an object outside himself
Hence it is called the Heart.
The only useful purpose of the present birth is to TURN  WITHIN  and realise it.
There is nothing else to do.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan here  is exhorting us all that the Inner self, primeval Spirit, eternal, ever effulgent, full and infinite Bliss, single, indivisible, whole and living, shines in every one of us as the WITNESSING   AWARENESS. Therefore, in my view, Sri Bhagwan is beseeching us to turn within and realize It HERE AND NOW.
Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4853 on: September 12, 2016, 06:11:09 PM »
For knowing That which Is
There is no other knower.
Hence Being is Awareness
And we are all Awareness.
V. 23, Upadesa Undiyar

Sri Sadhu Om:
SELF-ABIDANCE  AND  SELF-ATTENTION  ARE  ONE  AND  THE  SAME  THING.
Abidance is being (sat), whereas attention is knowing (cit), and as Bhagwan says in V. 26 of Upadesa Undiyar, being oneself is knowing oneself, because oneself is not two, and because as He says in V. 23, there is no awareness other than what is to know what is, so what is (sat) is itself awareness (cit). A worldly-minded person abides in the world because he attends to the world, whereas a spiritual person abides in himself because he attends to himself.

Dear devotees, Sri Sadhu Om's above graced passage is one of the finest I ever seen on Sat-Chit. Sri Om has wonderfully shown as above as to how Sat (Being or Existence) is Chit (Consciousness).
Pranam,
  Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4854 on: September 13, 2016, 12:43:17 PM »
Sri Bhagwan:

Truly there is no cause for you to be miserable and unhappy. You yourself impose limitations on your true nature of Infinite Being, and then weep that you are but a finite creature.
Then you take up this or that sadhana to transcend the non-existent limitations.
But if your sadhana itself assumes the existence of such limitations, HOW  CAN  IT  HELP  YOU  TO  TRANSCEND  THEM  ?
HENCE  I  SAY,  KNOW  THAT  YOU  ARE  REALLY  INFINITE,  PURE  BEING--THE  SELF  ABSOLUTE.
The only way to be rid of your grief is to know and be the Self.
HOW  CAN  THIS  BE  UNATTAINABLE  ?
Source: After  the  Rain

Dear Devotees,

My question is: what is unattainable? 'I'? or 'I Am'? or 'I Am I'? Although even through Direct and Straight Path of Sri Bhagwan's Enquiry it takes quite a while to know and be the Self that we really always are, and become Self-aware, the Self, that is, 'I Am I' cannot be said to be unattainable. I have seen that some members here have repeatedly tried to establish that one cannot become Self-aware because it is very difficult, if not impossible, to get rid of persisting body-consciousness, contrary to Sri Bhagwan's repeated assertion that Self-knowledge is indeed very easy.  As far as getting rid of body-consciousness is concerned, I wish to submit, as I have done before on many occasions, that if one has practiced Enquiry sincerely, earnestly, with perseverance, it must have surely revealed or at least conferred glimpses of the unreality of the ego-mind-body complex, sooner, rather than later. Once this happens, body-consciousness, mind-consciousness, or all objective consciousness will appear to be rising from and resolving into OneSelf (oneself) only. 

Dear devotees, pessimistic assertions notwithstanding, I wish to ask as to how experiencing oneself with perfect clarity, that is, perfect Self-awareness experienced as 'I Am' or 'I am I', a state in which there is nothing whatsoever other than 'I', can be unattainable ?

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 12:49:39 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4855 on: September 13, 2016, 01:33:19 PM »
Om  purushottamaya  namah
Prostration to the Supreme Person

Bhagwan is the Supreme Person present as the Sovereign Awareness in all persons. He is thus purushottama who as Awareness unites all persons in one common being. Awareness-Bliss, the great God Siva, the magnetic Mountain Arunachala, the pure awareness shining as 'I-I' in every human heart--all these are names and forms of one Purusha, the only Purusha, whose most glorious vibhuti and active manifestation in our age is Sri Ramana.
Mountain Path

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan has Himself taught, and time again driven home the truth that the Self is all, and Self alone is what exists. He has further enjoined that all Great ones are verily One, and all of them are the most glorious vibhutis and manifestations of the Existence-Awareness-Bliss, Magnetic Sri Arunachala-Ramana, abiding and shining as 'I-I' in every human heart.  However, for me and many others who were drawn irresistibly to His Lotus Feet, SRI  RAMANA  IS  THE  NAME ! 
Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 01:35:48 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4856 on: September 13, 2016, 02:07:59 PM »
Sage Sri Kabir:

If parroting the name of Rama brought salvation,
Then saying sugarcane should sweeten the mouth,
Saying fire burn the feet,
Saying water slake the thirst,
And saying food would be good as a belch.
If saying money made everyone rich,
There would be no beggars on the street.

Dear devotees, I do not have even the least doubt whatsoever as to the efficacy of chanting or Nama-Japa. However, this much is for those who believe that mechanical parroting of divine names should bring about salvation for or confer liberation on them. I have, through Enquiry itself, come to intuitively grasp that chanting of divine name or Nama-Japa is a wonderful spiritual practice if it is sweetened with love and devotion for the Deity whose Name is being chanted, and which merges or culminates in the "Ajapa or the Unspoken Chant", the Eternal Chanting, 'I-I', which is always going on at the Core of our Existence.

Pranam,
  Anil 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 02:09:56 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4857 on: September 13, 2016, 04:29:28 PM »
Dear devotees, what follows is a very, very insightful excerpt from Sri Sadhu Om's works, which if understood and assimilated properly, will certainly stand us in good stead while following Him and His Teaching:

Guru alone knows all the vasanas that are lying hidden within us. He knows which ones He can allow to sprout as thoughts in order for us to destroy them with the power of discrimination that He has given us, that is, by investigating to whom they have appeared. He also knows which ones He must not yet allow to sprout, because they would be too powerful for us to destroy.
If allowed to marry, some aspirants would become immersed in worldly pleasures and desires, whereas others would develop detachment, reflecting inwardly, "WHAT  ARE  THESE  CARNAL  PLEASURES?  Just  two  bodies  of flesh and bones trying to find pleasure in each other". However, those in whom such vairagya  quickly blazes forth in married life may not be able to gain it if they were not given a taste of such a life, because they would then be hankering for such pleasures, thinking how wonderful it may be to experience them.
Providing circumstances that prompt our vasanas to sprout as desires or thoughts is like watering the seeds in garden. By watering our less powerful and dangerous vasanas in this way, and by enabling us to conquer them by means of viveka and vairagya, the Guru enables us to gradually gain the strength to face and conquer more powerful and dangerous ones. However, there are some vasanas that are so powerful that He will never allow them to emerge, but will instead allow them to dry up by not being attended to so that they become like dry firewood, which will be consumed along with their root, our ego, when the fire of Jnana eventually blazes forth.

Dear devotees, this is why Sri Bhagwan has enjoined that Guru's Work lies within. When I thought happily that I have got rid of all my powerful and dangerous vasanas, and when, of late, hitherto unknown vasanas sprouted and emerged, I was first surprised that I still had been a repository of such ugly vasanas! Then, when  I was able to overcome them with discrimination Sri Bhagwan has taught us, I understood that such vasanas have been allowed to emerge at a stage when I had been prepared to face them and thus get rid of them for once and all. Therefore, yes, what Sri Om has written is, in my view, perfectly valid, and which undoubtedly contains great insights regarding Guru's Work. I hope some of you would narrate your own experiences regarding sprouting, emergence and destruction of your vasanas, while, of course, following Sri Bhagwan's Teaching.
Pranam,
  Anil             
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 04:34:51 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4858 on: September 14, 2016, 08:12:02 AM »
Sri Bhagwan:
But people do not understand this.
You say "I have come to this asharam all the way from my country beyond the Himayayas".
But this is not the truth.
Where is 'coming' or 'going' or any movement whatever for the one, all pervading Spirit which you really are?
You are where you have always been.
This is the simple truth.
But to a person who considers himself a subject living in an objective world, it appears as something altogether visionary!

So you see it is wrong to suppose that awareness has passing phases.
The Self is always ware.
Subjects and objects are creations in Pure Consciousness.
Consciousness is the same as the Self.
Get rid of subject and object and Pure Consciousness will alone remain.
Source: After the Rain

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan's Teaching, in my view, is not  much concerned for mental visions or upliftment, but indicates pointedly to the Self and the Direct Way to realize It.
And, dear devotees, in my view, for those who is capable of maintaining unwavering Self-attention, the Teaching that the Awareness does not have the passing phases can turn out to be a great clue , which can help the sadhaka  contact and abide as mere pure and simple being!
Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 08:14:14 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4859 on: September 15, 2016, 10:06:58 AM »
Dear devotees, for those who are drawn to Sri Bhagwan and His Atma-vichara, but are not able to grasp and practice Self-attention properly, following few wonderful passages from Sri Sadhu Om's works, I hope, may establish some of them on the path of supremely beneficial Self-attention:

When we first start to practice turning our attention back towards ourself, the power of our self-attention will be relatively weak, so we will be able to notice the rising of any vasanas in the form of thoughts only after they have already swept us away. However with practice the power of our self-attention will increase, and the more it increases the more easily we will be able to cognise the exact moment that any vasana arises as a thought. If our self-attention is firm, our experience at that moment will be that this thought arises only because I know it, so our attention will cling to ourself, the 'I' that is aware of the thought, and thus the thought will subside, being deprived of the attention that it needs to survive. Each time that we deprive any thought of our attention by holding fast to self-attention in this way, we are weakening the vasana that gave rise to it, and strengthening our love and ability to hold on to self-attention.
When practicing self-attention in this manner, we should not be waiting or looking out for the next thought to rise, but should be focussing our entire attention only on ourself. If we look out for thoughts, they will definitely arise, because the nature of our mind is to expand in the form of numerous thoughts whenever we are not attending solely to ourself. If we try to attend only to ourself, whenever our self-attention falters even a little a thought about something else will arise, but if we are vigilant in our practice, we will immediately notice any faltering in our self-attention and the consequent rising of a thought, so we will immediately be able to turn our attention back to ourself before it is swept away.
Therefore self-attention is the only direct means by which we can gain the strength to abide firmly in as ourself, the source from which we have risen as this ego, and only by abiding thus can we weaken and eventually destroy all our vasanas. Our vasanas would be difficult to subdue and destroy only if they were real,  AND  HENCE  IF  WE  HAVE  SINCERE  LOVE  TO  KNOW  WHO  WE  REALLY   ARE,  WE  CAN  EASILY  DESTROY  THEM  ALL  BY  MERELY  CLINGING  FIRMLY  TO  SELF-ATTENTION.

Dear devotees, I wish to conclude this recapitulating post with a few lines of my own sometime later.
Pranam,
 Anil         
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 10:13:01 AM by eranilkumarsinha »