Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758467 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #4770 on: May 22, 2016, 08:02:02 AM »
Dear Devotees,

If one enquires, reaches the Heart and merges in the Self, there will be no individuality left. One becomes then the Source Itself. In that case what is surrender? Who is to surrender what and to whom? Sri Bhagwan has thus compassionately revealed that this is what constitutes devotion, wisdom , and investigation.

Sri Bhagwan: Among the Vaishnavites too, Saint Nammalvar says, "I was in a maze, sticking to 'I' and 'mine'; I wandered without knowing my Self. On realizing my Self I understand that I myself am YOU and That 'mine' is only YOU."

Thus--you see--Devotion is nothing more than knowing oneself.

Source: Talks

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 08:04:45 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: May 22, 2016, 02:35:33 PM »
Dear Devotees,

Some followers of Islamic Faith came to Sri Bhagwan with a view to confront Him with arguments. They wanted to establish in His Presence their well-known view that worshipping God in a form is improper. The conversation that ensued is one of the most wonderful ones that I have ever gone through, which is as under:

Questioner: Has God any form?

Sri Bhagwan: Who says that God has a form?

Q: Well, if God has no form, is it not wrong to worship Him in an idol?

Sri Bhagwan: Let us leave God alone; (He is unknown). What about you? Tell me, if you have a form or not!

Q: Yes! I have a form. (Pointing to his body,) I am 'this' and so and so.

Sri Bhagwan: What! Are you this body which is about three and half cubits in height, dark in complexion, mustached and bearded?

Q: Yes, certainly.

Sri Bhagwan: Then do you find yourself so in deep sleep?

Q: Of course! After waking up from deep sleep I remain  thus. Therefore I must have remained so in sleep as well.

Sri Bhagwan: Also when the body dies?

Q:Yes, of course.

Sri Bhagwan: If so, when the near and dear ones come to take away the body out of the house for burial, will the body  say, "This house is mine; I will remain here itself; you should not take me out to bury me?"

Dear devotees, thus in His Presence the Muslim disputant was not able to establish his view point. On the contrary, in His Presence reason dawned on the disputant. Baffled by the Force of His Words of Grace he realized that he had got entangled unwittingly in an absurd argument. He exclaimed, "I was wrong. I am not this body; I am the life that dwells in it."

After the questioner thus realized his mistake, Sri Bhagwan then is said to have interjected thus: "So you see all along you seriously believed that this body is yourself. This is the basic or the primal ignorance from which all other forms of ignorance inevitably flow. So long as the primal ignorance remains the others will remain and it does not matter much whether you regard God as with form or formless. Once this basic ignorance is rooted out then with it all else will become sundered."

Dear devotees, I wish to conclude this post with a little dwelling and discussion on Verse 3 & 4 (which are relevant to the above conversation)  of the 'Reality in Forty Verses', sometime later. 

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 02:43:00 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: May 22, 2016, 05:11:37 PM »
Contd from my previous post:

If the Self has form, the world and God likewise have form. If Self is without form, by whom and how can form of the world and God be seen? Without the eye, can there be sight or spectacle? The Self, the real Eye, is infinite.
V. 4, Reality in Forty Verses

The body is made up of the five sheaths; in the term body all the five are included. Without the body the world is not. Has one without body ever seen the world?
V. 5, Reality in Forty Verses

Dear devotees,

If one goes through 'Talks' again and again, one would certainly discern that this is the general refrain in almost all conversations. Whenever the question whether God has a form was raised, it inevitably led to the question whether the questioner who so questions has a form. Sri Bhagwan almost always put the counter question, namely, 'What is the truth of the questioner?' Obviously this counter question has the nature and form of the Quest of the Self. Has it not? Sri Bhagwan's Reply that almost always sprang up to such questions spontaneously, from His State of Realization, was, 'Find out who you, who ask the question, are.' Indeed, if this is found out, the question along with the questioner will cease for once and all.

As for form of God and the man, the above cited Verses (V.4 &V.5 of the Ulladu Narpadu) make it clear that as long as one conceives the Self with a form or identifies one's Self with the body-mind complex, so long one is led to believe unwittingly that God also has a form. This is by the logic:   AS  IS  THE  NATURE  OF  THE  PERCEIVING  EYE,  SO  IS  THE  APPEARANCE  OF  WHAT  IS  PERCEIVED. However, all forms are nothing but only projections of the mental imagination, for all forms are ultimately illusory and unreal. Yet, so many forms are ascribed to Lord depending upon the various dispositions of the mind. However, in the State of Realization, all forms including the mentally fabricated forms of the Divinity are revealed to be unreal, and the mind which fabricates them is rendered extinct. One then realizes that the real Eye is just our own Self that alone shines as the Eye of the Infinite Consciousness.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 05:14:57 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: May 22, 2016, 06:01:18 PM »
Sri Bhagwan: That which dwells within as the suoreme Self is indeed that which sports before you as the very visible form of the Guru.

Worship of the formless Reality will be possible only for those in whose minds the ego that identifies with a form has perished. You should know that all the worship performed by those with a mind which has an ego that identifies with a form will be worship of form alone.
V. 657, GVK, Sri David Godman

To worship the formless being through unthought thought is alone excellent. For someone who does not have the capacity for formless worship of the foremost being, worship of form alone is proper.
V. 658, GVK, Sri David Godman

Those people who lack consciousness of pure being, the natural light (I am), and who consequently come, through ignorance, under the spell of karma and suffer, will have their delusion ended and reach the Self, the supreme reality, through meditation on a divine form that is dear to them.
V. 659, GVK, Sri David Godman     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: May 23, 2016, 10:03:17 AM »
To the extent that one dives within the Heart, to that extent one experiences that happiness which, though really shining as the unbroken nature of one's Self, is experienced interruptedly in so many different ways by means of the sense objects.
V. 451, GVK

If you firmly fix your mind in the Heart, the true knowledge will dawn. Being then drowned in the experience of the joyous peace of Sada Siva, you will shine as the Sun of true knowledge with the splendour of a thousand rising suns.

V. 452, GVK

Dear Devotees,

Sada Siva is only the Eternal Supreme Self. Whenever the desires are satisfied, the mind reaches its source  (the Heart) and experiences only the happiness of Self, albeit temporarily, that is, till another desire rises and makes one unhappy. This happiness therefore that one derives by way of satisfaction of a want is momentary and interrupted. To be drowned in the Experience of permanent joyous Peace of Sada Siva, we must dive within and fix our minds in the Heart and realize the Swarupa, and shine as the True Knowledge with the Splendour of a thousand rising suns.

Thus, dear devotees, it has been conclusively established by all great ones that our True Nature is Itself Happiness, it can be found within oneself and not without. THEREFORE,  IT  FOLLOWS  THAT  HAPPINESS,  IN  FACT,  IS  NOTHING  BUT  THE  LORD  SEATED  AS  THE  SELF  IN  THE  HEART. Is it not?

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil         
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 10:06:13 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4775 on: May 23, 2016, 01:18:05 PM »
Sri Bhagwan: Protect yourself from the mental agitation that stems from being caught up in the net of praise and fame, which only deceives you.

Whoever, through desire for name and fame, attmpts to shine as the target of others' attention, through that desire becomes vulnerable and needlessly creates for himself an obstacle to the sadhana he has adopted.
V. 624, GVK, Sri D. Godman

Dear devotees, Sri Sadhu Om has commented on the above Verse as under:

Sri Sadhu Om:  The desire for annihilation of the ego is the right sign of atma-sadhana. But fame and praise are things to be gained only by the ego. Therefore, if one has a desire for fame it means that one does not like to destroy the ego. That is why Sri Bhagwan says that the one who has desire for fame is himself creating obstacles to his sadhana. Therefore, if the atma-sadhana is to progress unobstructed and well protected, it is better for an aspirant to live a life of unknown name and unknown place. 

Dear devotees, yes, it is indeed highly improper for an aspirant who aspires for Self-Knowledge to run madly after name and fame and appreciation of others. Why should an aspirant, who aspires for Swarupa-Jnana by annihilating the ego, should make attempt to shine as the target of others' attention? Desire and craving to become famous and see one's name engraved everywhere do not befit a spiritual aspirant, and indeed a life bereft of name and fame is most protected and is free of obstacles, and is therefore most desirable for all spiritual aspirants worth name as enjoined by Sri Bhagwan and Sri Muruganar.

Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 01:22:11 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4776 on: May 23, 2016, 01:40:39 PM »
To be read with my post no. 4774:

Quoting Alexander Selkrik's soliloquy, Sri Bhagwan said: The happiness of solitude is not found in retreats. It may be had even in busy centres. Happiness is not to be sought in solitude or in busy centres. IT  IS  IN  THE  SELF.
Talk--459

Dear devotees, it follows that if the Goal is the permanent happiness, Self alone should be sought, for it is only and only to be found in our own Self, nowhere else, neither in solitude nor in retreats nor in the busy centres. If it is understood, it is, in my view, of great avail for aspirants aspiring for Self-knowledge.
Pranam,
  Anil 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 01:43:06 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4777 on: May 23, 2016, 02:41:48 PM »
Forsaking oneself, the seer (during the spell under the sway of ignorance), having the vision of a form of God is but the perception of a thought form of the mind; it is not the true vision of God. Being oneself that very Supreme Being, to say that the one, who, with the loss of the ego-sense, perceives the Truth of the seer, perceives the Source of oneself--the Lord--is not true either; for in this non-dual state (of one being the very Self--the true Lord) there is no such thing as 'perception'.
V. 20, Fort Verses in Reality

Dear devotees, Sri K. Lakshamana Sarma, in his commentary on the above Verse, has written thus (excerpts):

That the vision of the Lord in a form of one's choice is not real, it being simply a thought form--a product of the mind stuff--is the truth underscored here by Bhagwan. The Transcendent  Content seated within oneself in the Heart shining as the very Self, is objectified as the Lord and regarded as the 'other', distinct from oneself, and one attains a vision of the same Lord by worshipping Him with intense devotion. That vision is not true vision but an illusory appearance born of the imagination of a satvik mind. Since all that is perceived is within the seer himself, the truth of what is seen remains within (the truth of) the seer. As the very Self--the eternal, ever-experienced--is the truth of the Lord , a true vision of God is to Be the Self, by experiencing the Self; such a vision cannot be subject to disappearance.

However, Sri Sarma has added in his commentary the following paragraph as well:   

Though this is the stark truth, assuming the separation to be real as a means to terminate this separation, a satvik seeker develops devotion. Such a seeker, further assuming that God has a personality (for he regards himself as a body) and is the 'other' and outside of him, unseen and unknown, takes to various sadhanas in the path of devotion to obtain a direct perception or vision of Him. This upasana bestows on him immaculate mental purity and fortifies his power of single pointedness. He may even gain a vision of that deity that he so devoutly worships and consequently may feel blessed as having achieved all there is to achieve. But soon the vision will dissolve leaving the seeker with an earnest longing for frequent visions. Such a yearning has a salubrious effect for it intensifies deeply his devotion and love towards the Lord.
Ultimately by the Grace of the Lord his 'I' and 'mine' get attenuated, and he, by the yoga of the surrender of his ego-self, attains to the truly Supreme State and Beatitude--the Experience of the Knowledge of the Self.

AS for perception mentioned in this Verse, Sri Sarma writes that in the true perception of the Experience of Being the Atman, the triad of the seer, seen and the sight, ceases to exist. With the dawn of Experience the perceiving ego perishes and with that both the object of perception and also the sight go out of existence. Brahmaan--the common underlying Truth of both God and individual--alone survives and That remains as the Self.

Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 02:49:23 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4778 on: May 23, 2016, 05:13:42 PM »
D: How is the 'I-I' consciousness felt?
Sri Bhagwan: As an unbroken awareness of 'I'. It is simply consciousness.
D: Can we know it when it dawns?
Sri Bhagwan: Yes, as consciousness. You are that even now. There will be no mistaking it when it is pure.
D: Why do we have such a place as the 'Heart' for meditation?
Sri Bhagwan: Because you seek consciousness. Where can you find it? Can you reach it externally? You have to find it internally. Therefore, you are directed inward. Again the 'Heart' is only the seat of consciousness or the consciousness itself.
D: On what should we meditate?
Sri Bhagwan: Who is the meditator? Ask the question first. Remain as the meditator. There is no need to meditate.

Talk-205

Dear Devotees,

The expression 'I-I' consciousness, in my view, is the greatest clue whatsoever on the Path of Atma-vichara. Our experience of ourselves at present is intermittent and not constant and continuous. Awareness of the ego-I is broken, and appears and disappears. On the contrary, when the Self or the Atma-Swarupa which is the true import or significance of 'I', is realized, one has the unbroken and constant awareness of the Self, which has been appropriately expressed by Sri Bhagwan as 'I-I' consciousness. Two 'I's have been used only to drive home the truth that  in the State of Realization the awareness of the Self, which is simple and pure consciousness, is unbroken, constant and continuous, and One without a second, unlike the experience of the limited, objective, and egoistic 'I'-consciousness which is intermittent and therefore broken. Of course, since the consciousness is internal, way to find it is inward, that is, inward, inward is the way.

The expression 'I-I' consciousness is the greatest clue because on the Path of the Atma-vichara, when the thought-wave is sufficiently off, it facilitates to recognize intuitively and contact the Consciousness, which in turn helps to maintain unwavering Self-attention. Unwavering Self-attention is the same as remaining as the meditator rather than seeking to meditate on something alien.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil       
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 05:17:54 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4779 on: May 23, 2016, 06:11:16 PM »
The Self (the Lord) who is Pure Awareness lends the light of Awareness to the mind and shines within the mind (in the Heart). How then can one know Him by the mind except by turning the mind inward, away from the objective phenomena of the world and unifying it with the Lord?
V. 22, Reality in Forty Verses

Dear devotees, the mind has no awareness of its own.  Awareness of the mind is borrowed like that of the moon. One cannot reach Awareness of the Self who is Awareness Himself, with this borrowed light.  Though we begin our sadhana  to realize our Natural State with this borrowed awareness of the mind, mind in its attempt gets consumed by the Self as many of us  must have experienced during intense and unwavering Self-attention, and what remains is the unbroken Awareness of the Self, that is, 'I-I' Consciousness.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 06:13:11 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Pythagoras

• View Profile
« Reply #4780 on: May 27, 2016, 11:01:44 PM »
Hi all,

I would like to know your guy's thoughts on sexual energy? I am celibate, I hear one must convert that energy into spiritual energy as it travels from the root chakra up the spine. Idk what to do? Sometimes the energy is very intense

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4781 on: May 29, 2016, 02:37:35 PM »
Dear Sri Pythagoras,

What to do? Yes, sublimation of base thoughts into higher and more desirable channels is the way. Sublimating and directing the base thoughts or energy arising out of base instincts into higher channels, that is, into spiritual pursuits is certainly most desirable. But how will you do it? To what, at all, in the first place, will you sublimate the sexual energy, and how?

Dear Sri Pythagoras, you are not the only devotee and seeker who is thus assailed by such thoughts. Most of the seekers, sometime or other, are distracted by sexual thoughts. We need to overcome this problem by proper means.
These thoughts and anxieties do not worry you in sleep. You are now the same person in the waking state as you were in sleep. Are you not? This, Sri Bhagwan Ramana has taught, proves beyond doubt that these thoughts do not belong to you and are, therefore, alien. It proves that there is no sexual impulse in the Self that we really are. These base thoughts assail us because of our false idea of the body being Self, and there is no other reason. With rising of the mind and senses when we wake up from sleep, differentiation arises due to false identification of ourSelf with the bodies and consequently our seeing the world full of bodies.

I do not know what exactly is the mode of your sadhana. However, I shall share my own understanding arising out of my own experiences. Whenever, such thoughts arise, consider, with your entire mind, to whom they arise and they will surely and expressly flee away from you. Sri Bhagwan has taught that one must deal with unwanted thoughts then and there by turning within and being immersed in the Source, that is, the Self, and maintaining constant vigil and thus not allowing the mind to externalize. This comes with practice, and more and more practice only. If you practice in this manner,He has assured, His Grace Itself will guide you take you forward towards Realization, freeing you from all such unwanted and undesirable thoughts for once and all.   

Therefore, such base thoughts will go away when differentiation ceases, and Enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is invincible method to gain that state. In some these predispositions are strong and they are disturbed. Hence, initially struggling a little bit and encountering them effectively is a major challenge, in my view, in all spiritual practices whatsoever.

Now, turning to the point from where I started in this post: To what you are supposed to sublimate and direct this base thought or energy? If you enquire and persist and persevere in this Enquiry, you will be able to apprehend gradually the real Self, albeit vaguely, initially. Sri Bhagwan has taught that apprehending the Self even vaguely culminates in the Realization of the Swarupa or the Self. That is indeed the rise of higher power, or the current of meditation, Sri Bhagwan speaks of. But then, this State (Self-realization) is still little far away. However, if you are able to dive within and realize your nature as Consciousness (higher power), by holding and attending to the Self or the Consciousness, you will be able to sublimate and direct the base thought or energy into higher channels, for sublime Goal.

Dear Sri Pythagoras, the Great Master Bhagwan Sri Ramana taught to all, and  the Great Sage Sri Vasishta taught Lord Sri Rama,  that shining in every body as 'I-I' is nothing but the Self on which one has to meditate. THEREFORE,  WITH  THE  STICK  OF  ENQUIRY  STRIKE  THE  FIERCE-LOOKING  MIND  AND  SNAKE-LIKE  SENSES  AND  MAKE  THEM  ABIDE  IN  THE  HEART (SOURCE).That is indeed the WAY.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 02:55:34 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4782 on: May 29, 2016, 03:20:38 PM »
Sri Bhagwan:

What should we do now? Only act up to the words of the Master. Work within. The Guru is both within and without. So he creates conditions to drive you inward and prepares the interior to drag you to the centre. Thus he gives a push from without and exerts a pull from within, so that you may be fixed at the centre. I sleep you are centred within; simultaneously with waking up your mind rushes out, thinking this, that and, all else. This must be checked.

It is possible only for agent who can work both within and without. Can he be identified with a body? We think that the world can be conquered with our efforts. When frustrated externally and driven internally we feel that there is a power higher than man. The existence of the higher power must be admitted and recognised. The ego is a very powerful elephant and cannot be brought under control by anyone less than a lion; who is no other than the Guru in this instance, whose very look makes the elephant tremble and die.

We will know in due course that our glory lies where we cease to exist. In order to gain the state, one should surrender oneself saying: "Lord, Thou art my refuge." The master then sees this man is in fit state to receive guidance and so guides him.
(Source: Talks)

Dear Devotees,

How can that Agent be identified with mortal and insentient body?  With whose guidance do we see the world daily? Sri Bhagwan has taught that just as we are able to see the world ourselves so also we will be able to see our 'Self' if we strive do so earnestly enough,  'SELF'  ALONE  BEING  OUR  GUIDE  IN  THAT  GREAT  AND  FINAL  QUEST  ALSO.   This is my sole understanding regarding the Guru. Since we identify falsely with body, it is but natural that we THINK Guru to be some body. But are we bodies, and with the end of these bodies are we really finished? No. we have intuitive knowledge in the Heart of hearts that we are immortal though we see corpses of the bodies being taken to crematorium daily. Can this feeling be there with every one of us without an eternal and immortal Self or Existence as our Source or Substratum as the Basis from we do arise?  Therefore, neither we are the bodies nor is the Guru. This knowledge that we are the Self and so is the Guru is gained rather easily by Enquiry and what we call Realization.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 03:28:03 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4783 on: May 30, 2016, 06:49:43 PM »
The talk centred round a composition of Bhagwan 'Song of the Self'. Bhagwan was explaining some points in it to Muruganar who was delighted about it. He in turn referred to certain other points.

Srii Bhagwan: What purpose would be served if one knows everything except the truth about himself? Once the Self is known what else is there to b e known? These words almost echo the gist of the composition,
D: In the song it is stressed that grace is necessary.
Sri Bhagwan: Yes. It is quite so--the grace of a 'jnani' is essential, and added in His oft quoted way: Grace is always there. If not how will one make an effort at all?

Dear devotees, Grace is always there, Self Itself being the Grace. However, if one makes effort to realize It, obviously, indeed, it is the manifestation of Grace only!
Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 06:53:27 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4784 on: May 30, 2016, 06:54:57 PM »
Dear devotees, once Sri Bhagwan's well-known devotee, Sri Maurice Frydman composed a few verses and submitted them to Sri Bhagwan. Of these, V. 8 &V. 9 are quoted here as under:

"So long have I been on the stage to please thee,
My eyes are blinded by the lights of thy play,
My ears are deafened by roaring thunders of thy
                                                                      Laughter,
My heart is turned to ashes by the flames of dreary
                                                                        Sorrow."

V. 8

"My Lord, to please thee, I have made a fool of myself,
And how I am unable to stop the agony of the play,
My Lord, drag me down from the stage,
I have forgotten the way in and way out."
V. 9

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan was happy to go though these verses and observed: : "The same has been said almost exactly by a sage who lived a few centuries ago, Appaiya Dikshittar, in Sanskrit. These verse are still only in palm-leaves, unknown to many. The purport of these are: "Just as a court-dancer dancing in front of the King cannot stop till the King makes a gesture to do so, even though the dancer's legs ache, O Lord, I am dead tired of having taken so many births and deaths. One glance of grace from you is enough to put an end to the dance of my births and deaths, which please grant.'"

Sri Frydman then is said to have composed another poem in which he put the following answer into Sri Bhagwan's mouth!

"My child, our play is an end in itself.
And it comes to an end when you see it as play.
You are never on stage, never am I apart.
Yours are the sorrows, the endurance is mine,
I am Bliss in your joy and the salt in your tears.
For your sake I have made a fool of myself,
I play the sun and the earth and your world thereon.
I am your body and mind, their hopes and desires,
I am everything you think you are not;
And when you think you are this, I am also the same.
The play ceases when you see it as a play,
The world ceases to be when you see it as Me."

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 06:59:37 PM by eranilkumarsinha »