Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 755840 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #4755 on: May 19, 2016, 10:57:21 AM »
D; What is the Sun marga? What is the Moon marga? Which of them is easier?
Sri Bhagwan: Ravi marga (Sun marga) is Jnana. Moon marga is Yoga. They think that after purifying the 72000 nadis in the body, sushumna is entered and the mind passes up to the sahasrara and there is nectar trickling.
These are all mental concepts. The man is already overwhelmed  by world concepts. Other concepts are now added in the shape of this Yoga. The object of all these is to rid the man of concepts and to make him inhere as the pure Self--i.e., absolute consciousness, bereft of thoughts! Why not go straight to it? Why add new encumbrances to the already existing ones?

Talks

Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan has taught that the purpose of all margas and  scriptures whatever is only  to retrace our steps to the Self, that is, to the Original Source. If they add up to concepts, false ideas and useless accretions, which are only additions to the myriad world concepts and ideas, they indeed are counter-productive, and ultimately are obstacles in the realization of the Swarupa. Sri Bhagwan compassionately teaches therefore that we must give up all these false ideas and useless accretions, and trace back our Source and remain as the Swarupa. If we are able to do it, that alone is the end of the false identification which arises because we have lost the moorings and have swerved away from the Swarupa.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil     
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 10:59:29 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: May 19, 2016, 11:25:01 AM »
D: But after how long? And why should a man who is ready for the Absolute Knowledge stick to the knowledge of the Relative?
Sri Bhagwan: Everything happens in its own time. The one who is ready for the absolute knowledge will be made somehow to hear of it and follow it up. He will realize that Atmavidya is the highest of all virtues and also the end of the journey.
Talk--406

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: May 19, 2016, 06:41:19 PM »
Sri Bhagwan to an American gentleman, Sri J.M. Lorey: The Master is not outside you as you seem to imagine. He is within, is in fact the Self. RECOGNISE  THIS  TRUTH. Seek within you and find Him there. Then you will have constant communion with Him. The message is always there; it is never silent; it can never forsake you: nor can you ever move away from the Master.

Your mind is outgoing. Because of that tendency it sees objects as being outside and the Master among them. But the truth is different. The Master is the Self. Turn the mind within and you will find the objects within. You will also realise that it is the Master who is your Self and there is nothing but Him.

Because you identify yourself with the body you have accepted objects as being outside you. But are you the body? You are not. You are the Self. There are all the objects and the whole universe. Nothing can escape the Self. How can you move away from the Master who is your very Self? Suppose your body moves from place to place; does it move away from your Self? Similarly, you can never be without the Master.

Sri Lorey was struck by the answer although he was already familiar with the Master's ways. He was even visibly moved. He prayed that Grace of the Master might abide with him.

Sri Bhagwan: The Master being the Self, Grace is inseparable from the Self. 

Talk--503

Dear Devotees,

It follows that so long as our minds are outgoing and we continue to identify ourselves with the body and not awareness, we will continue to see objects outside and even the Guru among them, and compulsively, we will continue to seek the Guru outside in the name of finding so-called living Gurus. But truth is different. If we turn our mind within, we find objects within and the guru as our real Self. A genuine seeker should not entertain even an iota of doubt about that.

Herein lies the greatness of Enquiry, for if we turn our minds within and seek our Source, we soon begin to understand and grasp our true nature as Awareness, for the object of Enquiry is to find the true nature of the Self as Awareness and not the insentient body.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 06:44:34 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: May 19, 2016, 08:12:16 PM »
D: In the process of finding the Self, is this seeking external help spiritually legitimate?

Sri Bhagwan: The error lies in the identification of the Self with the body. If Bhagwan is the body you may ask the body. But understand Him whom you address as Bhagwan. He is not the body. He is the Self.
Talk--341

Dear devotees, I do not know how do you take such Words of Grace as above and what they really mean to you.  I have gone through them umpteen times and yet I am overwhelmed every time I go through them. Hence, with a view to continuously dwell and keep contemplating on them, something compels and inspires me to write and post them.
Yes, we need to understand Him whom we address as Sri Bhagwan Ramana.

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 08:18:40 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: May 20, 2016, 11:18:27 AM »
D: Bhagwan always speaks from the highest standpoint.

Sri Bhagwan (with a smile): People would not understand the simple and bare truth--the truth of their every day, ever-present and eternal experience. That Truth is that of the Self. Is there anyone not aware of the Self? They would not even like to hear it (the Self), whereas they are eager to know what lies beyond--heaven, hell, reincarnation. Because they love mystery and not the bare truth, religions pamper them--only to bring them round to the Self. Wandering hither and thither you must return to the Self only. Then, why not abide in the Self here and now?
The other worlds require the Self as a spectator or speculator. Their reality is only of the same degrees as that of the spectator or thinker. They cannot exist without the spectator, etc. Therefore they are not different from the Self. Even the ignorant man sees only the Self when he sees objects. But he is confused and identifies the Self with the objects, i.e., the body and with the senses and plays in the world. Subject and object--all merge in the Self. There is no seer nor objects seen. The seer and the seen are the Self. There are not many selves either. All are only one Self.
Talk--145
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 11:20:11 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: May 20, 2016, 11:28:31 AM »
"Sri Bhagwan: Everything happens in its own time. The one who is ready for the absolute knowledge will be made somehow to hear of it and follow it up. He will realize that Atmavidya is the highest of all virtues and also the end of the journey."

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan has thus unequivocally taught that the religions speak of God, heaven, hell, etc., only to establish the Reality of the Self.  And therefore, He has unceasingly kept on exhorting His devotees to enquire directly (Self-attention), and abide as the Self. And whether we accept it or not, It is because of His Grace that we are hearing, contemplating and attending to the Self, not only to establish the Reality of the Self, but to realize the Swarupa and abide as the Self Itself. 

Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 11:30:50 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: May 20, 2016, 07:18:48 PM »
Sri Bhagwan: The enquirer is aware of his own individuality. Enquiry does not stand in the way of his individual awareness; nor does external work interfere with such awareness. If work, seemingly external, does not obstruct the individual awareness, will the work, realised to be not separate from the Self, obstruct the uninterrupted Awareness of the Self, which is one without a second and which is not an individual separate from the work?
Talks

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: May 20, 2016, 07:24:28 PM »
SRI  BHAGWAN:  ARE  YOU  NOT  DISTINCT FROM  THOUGHTS?  DO  YOU  NOT  EXIST  WITHOUT  THEM?  BUT  CAN  THE  THOUGHTS  EXIST  WITHOUT  YOU?
Talks   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: May 21, 2016, 08:45:43 AM »
Dr. Syed, a Muslim Professor, is now here. A sceptic friend of his had confronted him with the question: "What miracle does your Maharshi work?" He had replied that the ordinary people being no better than animals are made men and that we are we being only His children are endowed with strength by Maharshi. He desired to know if he was right in replying to him, "Refreshing Peace within is the highest miracle. Maharshi possesses it."
"What is that to us?", the other man asked. I replied, "The same Peace is bestowed on all visitors to be shared by them. Mr. Paul Brunton has mentioned it in his book. Everyone feels it every day in Maharshi's Presence." 
Talks

Dear Devotees,

Yes, Refreshing Peace within is the highest criterion, as far as devotees and seekers are concerned; It is inexplicable Peace, like the cool breeze from the east succouring and thus relieving their parched hearts from the worldly heat, by which Divine Presence reveals Itself palpably to them. Though His Presence is hither, thither and everywhere, all who visit Sri Ramanasramam know through direct Experience that It is intensely palpable in the Samadhi Hall, Old Hall, Cowshed, Samadhi of His great devotees, such as Sri Annamalai Swami's, Sri Muruganar's, and even the Realized Cow's Sri Lakshmai's, and elsewhere in the Ashram. The whole Ashram with Sri Arunachala in the Background, as One, seems to me to transcend the relative world, though seemingly a part of it, is spiritually magnetized with His Presence. Is it not? Some say that now that He is free from the body, Peace and Presence are more intensely palpable. Though in His Presence, Peace or Grace are bestowed on all visitors to be shared by them, it is targeted where needed most, as before. This is indeed the reason why all those who visit but once look forward and keep planning for the visit next! He indeed is the Living master of the The Kali Age, much like Lord Budha and Sri Jesus Christ who live forever, bestowing Guidance and Grace on all those who are fortunate enough and ripe enough to reach His Lotus Feet.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil     
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 08:58:52 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: May 21, 2016, 01:53:01 PM »
Sri Bhagwan: Mere change of body (in case of rebirth-Anil) produces no effect. The ego associated with this body is transferred to another body, How can that satisfy anyone?
Moreover what is life? Life is existence which is your Self. That is life Eternal. Otherwise can you imagine a time when you are not?
That life is now conditioned by the body and you wrongly identify your being with that of the body. YOU  ARE  LIFE  UNCONDITIONED. These bodies attach themselves to you as mental projections and you are now afflicted by 'I-am-the-body' idea. If this ceases you are your Self.
Source: Talks

Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan has thus taught that the body is a mental projection. The mind is the ego which rises from the Self. But Alas! We are engrossed with mere projections, and are oblivious of That from which projections are emanating . Sri Bhagwan says that projection is not apart from That from which it is taking place, and therefore, 'I am the body' thought is ignorance because identification with this thought alone strays us away from the Self; and the knowledge that the body is not apart from the Swarupa is indeed True Knowledge. 

Life is the Infinite Existence which is our Self. But the present life, or the Self, or the Spirit is moribund. Isn't it? Therefore, to be our Self or the Swarupa, which truly we always are, there is a need, which is the most urgent need of all needs, to revive the moribund spirit by Enquiry and Surrender.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 01:58:07 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: May 21, 2016, 01:59:35 PM »
Sri Bhagwan's Teaching:

How does the desire arise?
Because the present state is unbearable.

Why the present state is unbearable?
Because the present state is not our true nature. Had it been our true nature no desire could have disturbed us.

How does the present state differ from our real nature?
We are in truth spirit. However that spirit is wrongly identifying itself with the gross body which is insentient. The body has been projected by the mind and the mind itself has originated from the spirit. Therefore, if wrong identification ceases, there will be peace and permanent untellable bliss.

Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 02:04:21 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4766 on: May 21, 2016, 02:22:05 PM »
Sri Paul Brunton: Why do religions speak of Gods, heaven, hell, etc. ?

Sri Bhagwan: Only to make the people realize that they are on a par with this world and the Self alone is real.

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan has made it clear on umpteen occasions that the Gods, heaven, hell, etc., are only as real as the world and the ego-mind which creates them. Self is the only Reality Whose Nature is Sat-Chit-Ananda.
Pranam,
  Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: May 21, 2016, 03:22:07 PM »
Mrs. Dhar: I form part of the creation  and so remain dependent. I cannot solve the riddle until I become independent. Yet I ask Sri Bhagwan, should He not answer  the question for me?

Sri Bhagwan: Yes. It is Bhagwan who says, "Become independent and solve the riddle yourself. It is for you to do it." Again: where are you now that you ask this question? Are you in the world, or is the world within you? You must admit that the world is not perceived in your sleep although you cannot deny your existence then. The world appears when you wake up. So where is it? Clearly the world is your thought. Thoughts are your projections. The 'I' is first created and then the world. The world is created by the 'I' which in its turn rises up from the Self.  THE  RIDDLE  OF  THE  CREATION  OF  THE  WORLD  IS  THUS  SOLVED  IF  YOU  SOLVE  THE  CREATION  OF  THE  'I'.  So I say, find your Self.

Again, does the world come and ask you "Why do I exist? How I was created?" It is you who asks this question. The questioner must establish the relationship between the world and himself. He must admit that world is his own imagination. Who imagines it? Let him again find the 'I' and then the Self.
Source: Talks

Dear devotees, it is imperative to establish the relationship between ourselves and the world and reach the impeccable conclusion, for once and all, that the world is nothing but our own imagination. So long as we imagine that the world is real and is apart from the seer who sees it, there cannot be the realization of the Self. Sri Bhagwan has taught (in Who Am I?) that just as the knowledge of the rope which is substrate will not arise unless the false knowledge of the illusory serpent goes, so the realization of the Self which is substrate will not be gained unless the belief that the world is real is not eliminated. And the imagined world will disappear and we will be independent only if the mind, which is the cause of all cognition and of all actions, somehow, irrespective of path one follows, becomes quiescent.Hence, coming and veering round the world, its creation and creator again and again!   

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 03:26:48 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: May 22, 2016, 07:20:38 AM »
"To those who seek deliverance from the prison or ocean of samsara, threefold tendencies are iron-fetters, say those who are realized. Therefore attachment to the world, the scriptures and the body must be given up and it must be fully realized that the body is sustained by the force of prarabdha (past karma). You should, therefore, courageously renounce these attachments and strive energetically to overcome tamas by the power of sattva and rajas, then rajas through mixed sattva, then mixed sattva through pure sattva. You should do this with a firm and calm mind, helped by the great texts such as 'That thou art' which proclaim the identity between the individual self and Brahman."

An excerpt from Sri Bhagwan's free translation of the Vivekachudamani

Dear devotees, obsession with shastra ( myriad scriptures) is as detrimental to spiritual sadhana as with body and world and its objects. However, Sri Bhagwan has taught that pride of learning and desire for appreciation should only be condemned and not learning itself. Learning has worth if it leads one to search for Truth and humility. But as we have seen, more often than not, it makes people arrogant and egoistic.

Pranam,
  Anil 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 07:22:30 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4769 on: May 22, 2016, 07:32:40 AM »
"Sandalwood is fragrant by nature, but its fragrance is masked by a bad smell when it comes into contact with water and is revealed when it is rubbed. Constant practice of meditation is this rubbing. The latent tendencies of the mind are removed, only to the extent to which it abides in the Self. It is by such constant abidance in the Self that the mind of the yogi is destroyed. And by the destruction of the mind the outer non-self of the Heart are utterly eradicated. Then the experience of the Supreme Self, which was formerly veiled by the magic of vasanas, shines forth of its own accord like the fragrance of uncontaminated sandal-paste."

From Sri Bhagwan's free translation of the Vivekachudamani

Dear devotees, we should take notice of the teaching that by the destruction of the mind is meant only the eradication of the outer non-self (vasanas or predispositions) of the Heart, and not That which is the Mind of the Brahman, and which is verily the Absolute Consciousness (State of Sudha Manas or the Pure Mind expressed wonderfully by the Text 'I  AM  THAT I AM'). 

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 07:34:35 AM by eranilkumarsinha »