Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758405 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #4710 on: April 19, 2016, 08:59:09 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan is beyond Knowledge and ignorance, but all the same, He is of the nature of Knowledge.
Sri Bhagwan is beyond intelligence and dullness, yet He is of the nature of Intelligence.
Sri Bhagwan is beyond light and darkness, but undoubtedly, He is of the nature of Light.
Sri Bhagwan is beyond greatness and smallness, but nevertheless, He is of the nature of Greatness.

Yes, He includes all, knowledge and ignorance, intelligence and dullness, light and darkness, greatness and smallness, et al, yet, He transcends them simultaneously. No mortal can describe His State even remotely, for words which are employed to describe  His State are only the grandsons of the Supreme Silence that He is. Only a Jnani who is similarly established in Sahaja can know and understand His State.

Therefore, dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan is great in the same way as we say God is great-beyond degrees, possessive, comparative or superlative!! He is. That is all that can be admitted about Him!

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4711 on: April 20, 2016, 07:29:51 PM »
Sri Bhagwan: Sat-chit-ananda is said to indicate that the Supreme is not asat, not achit and not an anananda. Because we are in the phenomenal world we speak of the Self as sacchidananda.

Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan has taught that God is not different from the Self. THE  SELF  IS  OBJECTIFIED  AS  GOD  AND  GURU. Guru, dear devotees, is the manifestation of Sat. That Sat denotes, as Sri Bhagwwn has taught, BEING  or Existence, beyond sat and asat. Chit beyond chit and achit, and Ananda beyond bliss and non-bliss.

Sri Bhagwan: What is it then? Even if not sat nor asat, It must be admitted to be sat only. Compare the term jnana. It is the state beyond knowledge and ignorance. Yet jnana is not ignorance but knowledge. So also with Sat-chit-ananda.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4712 on: April 22, 2016, 03:44:56 PM »
Now turning to Bhagwan's teaching, 'Who am I?' I feel, it is not merely a meditation technique, but a way of life. I am elated or disappointed at a turn of events--who am I? I am flattered or hurt by another's actions or words--who am I? I am impatient at the progress I am making in meditation--who is impatient? I am disappointed at my children not heeding my advice--who is disappointed?
After practicing thus for some time, the answer begins to appear within oneself as a 'current of awareness', which one needs to cultivate and nurture. One them finds one's whole life transformed, with peace pervading every walk of one's life. Does it eventually lead to Self-realization? But why this doubt--who is the doubter? Who am I? One's job is only to persevere. Grace would flow in, when one is ripe enough to receive it. As Bhagwan has repeatedly exhorted His devotees--all that is required of one is to just 'BE', not to be 'this or that'.
A quote from an article named 'Guru', published in the current Mountain Path, authored by Sri Jayaraman Rajath Iyer 

Dear devotees, this is almost exactly what I have been telling also all along. Our duty is to persevere. If we persevere with earnestness, sincerity and love in the heart, one is standing in the huge floods of the Ganges of Grace. For, Awakening cannot be then faraway, and the answer to the only real question 'Who am I?' indeed begins to appear within oneself as 'current of non-dual awareness', which if grasped and experienced clearly, with more and more practice,  will invariably lead to Realization of the Atma-swarupa or the Self. This one needs to affirm for oneself with practice and experience. There is no scope for even an iota of doubt about it. Sri Bhagwan's Teaching is unequivocal and unambiguous regarding the above clarity. 

Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 03:55:43 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4713 on: April 22, 2016, 04:27:52 PM »
Sri Vilacheri Ranga Iyer, Sri Bhagwan's childhood friend, has written thus:

One day I told Bhagwan, "Bhagwan has no Grace for me." Bhagwan replied, "Your statement is like that of a man who, standing in the huge floods of the Ganges, complains he is thirsty, and desires a bottle of tap water may be sent to him from Tanjore." Bhagwan's Grace is always flowing. Those who are at thirst for Jnana can always go to Him and get their thirst quenched. 
I used to pester Bhagwan frequently with my questions. So, one day Bhagwan said, "You are always asking questions. Some devotees come, sit beside me and realize what alone has to be known and will go away." I replied, "What is to be done? If you have a dunce for your son you will have to din and din into his ears and teach him." Bhagwan laughed and remained silent. I realized that many people became jivan muktas by having Bhagwan's darshan. Who can describe Bhagwan's greatness.
One day Bhagwan told me He was where speech was not. Thereupon I asked Him, "Why then do you speak?" "out of compassion, I have to speak", He replied. I realized then that Bhagwan was a Dakshinamurthy and speaks only out of compassion for us.

Source: An Article named 'Recollections' , published in the current Mountain Path

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 04:33:26 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4714 on: April 24, 2016, 09:20:21 AM »
Sri Bhagwan: Jnana, once revealed takes time to steady itself. The Self is certainly within the direct experience of everyone, but not as one imagines it to be. It is only as it is. This experience is Samadhi...........

"Having once experienced the Bliss of peace no one would like to be out of it or engaged himself otherwise."

Dear Devotees,

The Experience Sri Bhagwan speaks of is not the ordinary, worldly experience involving dyad of the experiencer and the experienced. When the mind remains thought-free even during sadhana of the Atma-vichara, having no contact with sense-objects, the Self is experienced as Happiness. This alone is true experience which is attained by a mind (pure mind which is verily Absolute Consciouisness) that does not arise through desires from ignorance and wander after sense objects, but remains calm without forgetfulness of the Self in the waking state, just as it does in sleep. Sri Bhaghwan has taught that the Self is the true, infinite Eye, and the Self is known only by that Infinite Eye, which, in truth, is directly experienced (aparoksha).

Dear devotees, when we isolate the intuitive ?'' (I Am) from the 'I am so and so', and focus our entire attention only on 'I Am', one gradually begins to experience 'I Am', free from body consciousness and other adjuncts, with more and more clarity, which gives rise to intuition and one has the Foretaste of the Bliss of Peace.

Therefore, notwithstanding some learned members' views, I wish to say that that these experiences are vital on the path of the Atma-vichara, which nudges and encourages the sadhakas to pursue the sadhana till the very end.
However, I must add that the present impure mind cannot arrogate to itself that pure state of being and claim ?I experience Bliss or the Self, for it is untenable. Therefore, when one is out of that state after sadhana and becomes limited and assumes that position, it is time to ask, ?"o whom are these experiences?"

We must never, never forget that, after all, the Ultimate Reality is our own true Real Nature, which, as Sri Bhagwan has taught, is always attained. Therefore, our Self, the selves of all, the Atma-swarupa of all, alone is directly experienced. When we keenly enquire and investigate, and reach the Heart, we experience ourselves only, soundlessly and thoughtlessly as 'I  Am  I', and this is exactly, in  , my view, is described as 'It Itself experiences or knows only Itself'.       

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil                 

« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 09:25:49 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4715 on: April 24, 2016, 09:40:45 AM »
Sri Bhagwan: Why do you pointlessly find fault with me, saying that I no longer look at you?

If you would fix your gaze upon me, you would know that, established in the Heart, my gaze is ever fixed upon you.

Looking at you from within the Self, I never leave you. How can this fact be known to your externalized vision?
Source: Padamalai

Dear devotees, when Assurance is so great and truth of His Presence in the Heart so glaring, convincing and within the direct experience of all truly earnest and sincere seekers, what does it matter whether He is in the body or without it? Only thing--we need to, nay, our duty is to internalise our vision to know and expereince directly the truth of Sri Bhagwan's Holy Utterances.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 09:42:34 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4716 on: April 24, 2016, 02:14:24 PM »
Quote from Sri Ravi,
"The mind has to calm down and not slow down.....and when the mind calms down, the breath will be very light and one may not perceive whether one is exhaling or inhaling unless one pays attention to it.....and the breathing will be long, deep and even and rhythmic......the body also will be felt quite light and nimble.....importantly the mind will not be empty but steeped in calm and contentment.....will be serene like a flame in a windless place."

Dear Sri Ravi,

This is a beautiful insight and understanding about which there cannot be two opinions. Sri Bhagwan has taught that passions are attended with irregular breathing, whereas calm and happiness are attended with slow and regular breathing.
It is true, and Sri Bhaggwan has enjoined as well, that if breath is forcibly repressed, thought also is repressed, and if thought is forcibly slowed down and pinned to a point, the vital activity of respiration is also slowed down, made even and confined to the lowest level compatible with life. Sri Bhagwan has taught that in both cases the distracting variety of thought is temporarily at an end. Breath-control obviously, therefore, is a violent method, in which such control is the brake to the mind-horse. Such breath-control and repression forcibly of thoughts and emotions undoubtedly though makes the mind quiescent, it may sometimes cause fear and may result in shortened breath.

However Sri Bhagwan always emphasized that if the mind is transformed though Enquiry into the Self, mind can no longer give any trouble in any way. Though in the earlier stages if the mind is brought to bear on the search for the Self, the mind eludes and the sadhak is not aware of its mischievous way until after some time, and therefore, it reverts to the search at long intervals only. With practice it reverts to the search at shorter intervals until finally it does not wander at all.

Dear Sri Ravi, you may be aware that Sri Bhagwan Himself has given a picturesque description of control of mind by the analogy of reining of the rogue cow and confining her to the stall. The mind is like a rogue cow who, having been accustomed to graze stealthily on others' estates, cannot be easily confined to her stall, however much her keeper tempts her with green, luscious grass and fine fodder. She refuses the first time, then takes a little bit, but her innate tendency to stray asserts itself, and slips away. Only on being repeatedly tempted by the owner, she accustoms herself to the stall, and finally even if let loose she would not stray away and wander. Similarly with the mind. If but once it finds and experiences inner happiness, it is tempted and persuaded thus to taste the same bliss of peace again and again, and then there will come a time when it will not wander outward to graze on externals. When one thus practices steadily, as taught, with love and faith in Him and His Atma-vichara, the mind is surely reined in persuasively, gently and calmly unlike in pranayama or breath-control.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 02:19:52 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4717 on: April 24, 2016, 03:44:22 PM »
Anil,
Enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is a gentle method, and, in my view, if one adheres strictly to that, questions of panic or shortened breath cannot arise at all. 

Quite true Anilbhai.

I do not make any distinction between different approaches....all such distinctions are made by the mind of the 'doer'.All approaches,irrespective of the way they begin, have to end up in the calming of the mind and in the calm mind,Truth manifests.

As Sri Adi Sankara says wonderfully in his bhaja Govindam:

satsangathvE nissangathvam
NissangathvE nirmohathvam
NirmohathvE Nischalatatvam
Nischala tatvE jivanmukti.

The aim and objective of all so called paths are to free the mind from its cravings ...nirmohathvam........and this nirmohathvam leads to nischalatatvam.....a mind that is steadily steeped in pure awareness.

Namaskar

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4718 on: April 24, 2016, 05:00:49 PM »
Sri Bhagwan: Yogas chitta vritti nirodhah--(Yoga is to check the mind from changing)--which is acceptable to all. That is also the goal of all. The method is chosen according to one's own fitness. The goal for all is the same. Yet different names are given to the goal only to suit the process preliminary to reaching the goal. BhaKti, Yoga, Jnana are all the same. Svasvarupanusandhanam bhaktirity abhidheeyate (Self-contemplation is called bhakti).

Dear Sri Ravi,

Therefore, yes, Sri Patanjali's first sutra is applicable to all approaches whatsoever.  The aim of all spiritual practices is the cessation of mental activities and the attainment of calm and peaceful mind. All-important intuition arises only in calm, serene and peaceful mind (Pure Mind). Therefore, yes, approaches may differ, but they all have to ultimately end in Jnana-experience, that is, in the clear knowledge  I  AM  THAT  I AM, that is, in the Fullness of the Self-knowledge.

Thanks very much, dear Sri Ravi.
Pranam,
  Anil 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 05:02:54 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4719 on: April 24, 2016, 05:49:03 PM »
Dear Devotees, of all the scientists, I never ceased to marvel and wonder at Sri Albert Einstein who fascinated and intrigued me greatly, not only because he gave Theory of Relativity (Special or General) or due to Mass-Energy Equivalence Theorem, but also on account of his spiritual utterances, such as one that follows:

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead--his eyes are closed. The insight into the mystery of life, coupled though it be with fear, has also given rise to religion. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty, which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their most primitive forms--this knowledge, this feeling is at the centre of true religiousness."
Source: The Editorial of the Mountain Path

Pranam,
 Anil   
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 05:50:58 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4720 on: April 24, 2016, 06:13:31 PM »
                   Leisure

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.
No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.
No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.
A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

Sri William Henry Davies

Dear devotees, alas! A poor life this indeed if, full of care, we do not have time to stand and stare!
Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4721 on: April 24, 2016, 06:16:15 PM »
Dear devotees, what follows is a quote from the Article 'Recollections', written by Sri Bhagwan's childhood friend, Sri Ranga Iyer, published in the Mountain path:

Bhagwan told me the following: "Once when I was at Skandasram and they were celebrating my Jayanthi, many people came up from the town. With them came a mongoose too. I imagined it was probably a pet reared by one of the visitors. But it came straight to me, got on my lap, stayed there for a time, then went and inspected the room where things had been collected for the Jayanthi celebrations and the kitchen and then went away up the hill. It was of a golden hue. I didn't know which great saint came like that. Saints can come in any form they like".  I (Sri Iyer) thought within myself, "Crows, monkeys, squirrels, sheep, cattle, all dumb animals are somehow able to discern the greatness of Bhagwan and go to Him for darshan. Only men with their reasoning faculty are not able to recognize His true worth. "

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 06:19:13 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4722 on: April 25, 2016, 11:11:03 AM »
Dear Devotees,

May be some members here do not find anything worth reading and contemplating in the Mountain Path. But for me, anything, even a piece of a straw, coming from Sri Ramanasramam is so holy and sacrosanct. One cannot imagine my joy and  how happy I am when I receive the Magazine after every three months here in my home in Patna!

As for contents in the Mountain path, I wish to say that every issue of the Mountain Path contains a few very beneficial articles for sadhakas authored by distinguished devotees of Sri Bhagwan, such as, Sri Sadhu Om, Sri Michael James, Sri John Grimes, Swami Sri Tanmayananda , etc. I never went through all the articles contained in Mountain path but read only those articles, which, in my view, were worth reading because contents were relevant to me.

As far as filling in the pages is concerned, all spiritual magazines are like that, and I have yet to see a better one. This magazine has certainly a place in the scheme of things so far as Sri Bhagwan's devotees are concerned. Yes, I feel that editorials of the magazine  now-a-days are not quite what they used to be when great devotees like Sri Arthur Osborne were at the helm of affairs. Therefore, I feel that it is wise to take what is there to be taken and leave the rest unattended, for from the popularity of the magazine I have gathered that Sri Bhagwan's devotees still love to go through a few articles that fill in the pages in the Mountain Path.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 11:14:39 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #4723 on: April 25, 2016, 11:22:35 AM »
Dear Anil

I very must resonate with your views with regard to Mountain Path . I also eagerly look forward to it when it comes from Sri Ramana Ashram and treat it as a prasad and have maintained almost all the bask issues . True ,not all the articles in each issue have the same quality but I am happy even if I find one article interesting in an issue  . 
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4724 on: April 25, 2016, 12:13:47 PM »
Friends,

The Mountain Path is a quarterly Journal founded in 1964 by Arthur Osborne and published by Sri Ramanansramam. The aim of this journal is to set forth the wisdom of all religions and all ages, especially as testified to by their saints and mystics, and to clarify the paths available to seekers in the conditions of our modern world. The Mountain Path is dedicated to Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi.

This is copied from the asramam website.With the wealth of material available in India alone-The Vedas,the upanishads,The Gita,The Bhagavatham,The Ramayana,Mahabharata,Mahabhaktavijayam,Periya puranam,The Tirumanthiram,..........the list is endless.Besides this are the writings and insightful talks of Great ones that are readily available.....There are also similiar material available from the works of saints and mystics from other parts of the world as well.....All this apart from the teachings and writings of Sri Bhagavan and many devotees.......Many of the articles can be read over and over again and previously published ones can be repeated ;there should be no need to solicit the following:

Please address original and previously unpublished submissions or letters in English to ?Attn: Editor, The Mountain Path?.

There need be no difficulty to fill the magazine with inspirational material.Even if there are copyright issues involved,the same can be easily resolved by requesting organizations like the Ramakrishna Mutt,Divine Life Society,Chinmaya mission,etc...and such requests will never be refused.

In this respect,I should say that the 'vision' magazine from papa Ramdas Anandashramam does a fine job.Almost all articles have a Practical spiritual bearing and avoids scholarly trappings.Why should there be an 'Editorial' in a spiritual magazine?This one does not carry one.Also,it is available as a free download.....including the latest issue....The paper magazine has a cost attached to it to take care of paper,printing and distribution.
Copies can be read online here:
http://www.anandashram.org/html/vision.html

Anandashramam does not have much of a material resource but even limited as there resources are,the swamiji in charge runs it in a true spirit of dedication.

P.S:I take a dispassionate, objective, non sentimental view on this.
Namaskar