Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 755774 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #4650 on: March 14, 2016, 06:29:33 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir and Sri Sadhak,

Sri Bhagwan's first book that I read  was the small booklet 'Who am I?' in 1992 or perhaps in 1993, I do exactly remember the year, and the second book that I read was a book by Sri Arthur Osborne in 2005, in which he has described  rather vividly the Death Scene reading which I wept uncontrollably, and copiously, and I didn't understand at that time why.  I now understand that it was due to feeling deep within of an irreversible and irreparable loss.

So, when I learnt from the books that many devotees who moved closely with Sri Bhagwan left the Ashram after disappearnce of His physical body,  I was puzzled. I was puzzled because I could not  accept that those who moved so closely with Sri Bhagwan still took Him  to be mere physical body, particularly because He Himself has declared that 'He is here' indicating and assuring that His Presence would continue in Sri Ramanasramam  as before and would be accessible to His discerning devotees.

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir and Sri Sadhak,  I understand now from my own experience  that those devotees who left the Ashram after dissolution of His Mortal Coil, did so because they all experienced great personal loss, for they now could not see Him in the Old Hall or the New Hall, gazing, smiling, communicating His Teaching in silence as well as through spoken words, and showering His Grace, anymore, even though they understood that Sri Bhagwan is the Innermost Self abiding in their hearts.

They loved Sri Bhagwan and therefore could not bear the thought of not seeing Him in person anymore, and because all this became, for a while, intolerable for them, they left. But how could they escape the net of His Grace! Passage of time is the greatest healer. Isn't it? They eventually understood that Sri Bhagwan is the Inner Guru and felt His Presence even more palpably wherever they were, and returned. They returned because they were compelled to from within.

From the Mountain Path: Though Sri Ramana is not in His mortal body, He still is regarded as the monarch of the place and the Ashram is run as per His wish and guidance.
And:
Ramanasramam is the ultimate destination of a true seeker of the Self

Thanks very much dear Sri Subramanian Sir and Sri Sadhak for visiting and sharing.

Pranam,
   Anil         
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 06:44:29 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Sadhak

• View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: March 14, 2016, 09:12:58 PM »
Dear Subramanian,

I was only responding with regard to the statement

Soon,
in one or two years, their minds starting playing all sorts of mischief and they found
themselves like a ball falling down the stair case!  Quick fall from all the sadhana done earlier
in a year's time.  They all soon came back, back to His lap, His Sannidhi, His Presence

Though it may have been true for some other devotees, it does not apply to Annamalai Swami. Of course you are right he lived in Tiruvannamalai.

Sadhak

• View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: March 15, 2016, 05:11:59 AM »
"From the Mountain Path: Though Sri Ramana is not in His mortal body, He still is regarded as the monarch of the place and the Ashram is run as per His wish and guidance."

I have my doubts.  Let us not equate Bhagawan with the organization running the ashram. Even during his life time Bhagawan expressed his disapproval about management on several occasions. For example, a few years back liquid gold was poured over the statue of Bhagawan in the main samadhi hall. It is hard to imagine Bhagawan approving such acts.

"And:
Ramanasramam is the ultimate destination of a true seeker of the Self."

Woooow.  The teachings of Bhagawan like those of any great jnani will stand on its own merits. There is no need for propaganda. Fanatical Evangelism will only do damage. For some people it could be Ramana Ashramam, for others it could be Kashi, or Gaya, or Jerusalem, or Kaladi. For others it could be their own place of residence.  Such thoughts themselves are a great impediment for sadhakas.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: March 15, 2016, 06:37:51 AM »
Dear Sri Sadhak,

"The teachings of Bhagawan like those of any great jnani will stand on its own merits."

Yes, certainly.

Quote:
"There is no need for propaganda. Fanatical Evangelism will only do damage. "

I do not consider it either propaganda or fanatical evangelism. I shall certainly not like to judge and label simple utterances of devotees as such.

Quote:
"For some people it could be Ramana Ashramam, for others it could be Kashi, or Gaya, or Jerusalem, or Kaladi. For others it could be their own place of residence."

Yes, it is indisputable.

Quote:
"Such thoughts themselves are a great impediment for sadhakas."

All these judgements are in the mind. All thoughts are impediment . Entertaining such thought is not compatible to sadhana. When someone says something for one's Guru, Ashram, and one's Guru's Teaching, out of pure love and exultation, I do not like to see it negatively, nor seek to find fault in that. That is all I need say.   

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 06:40:00 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: March 15, 2016, 10:41:52 AM »
Quote:
"D: Is it not possible to get a vision of God?
Sri Bhagwan: Yes. You see this and that. Why not see God? Only you must know what God is. All are seeing God always. But they do not know it. You find out what God is. People see, yet see not, because they know not God."

"D:Is it not the Advaita doctrine to become one with God?
Sri Bhagwan: Where is becoming? The thinker is all the while the Real. He ultimately realizes the fact. Sometimes we forget our identities, as in sleep and dreams. But God is perpetual consciousness."

Dear Devotees,

People see, yet see not, because they know not God, because God is perpetual consciousness. Therefore, it follows that whatever visions we have, it would certainly not be of God, Who is formless. Seekers of Truth know that God has no form of any kind. That who is Seer of all sights and Knower of all knowledge cannot be seen, tasted, smelt and heard-- the only means by which our minds cognize the objects of the world. He Who is ever-presnt, and Who is the Light Himself therefore cannot be cognised objectively.  It is obvious therefore from the above quotes that Sri Bhagwan asks us to know Him as the Pure, Perpetual Consciousness, who is none other than the Self. Here it is worth mention that the Self or 'I' is the only Light or Illumination, which is illuming all else and enabling all seeing, all hearing, all smelling, and all knowing . Sri Bhagwan is beseeching us to know Him thus. Sri Bhagwan has affirmed on several occasions that this alone is the highest and only true vision of God.

Therefore, there cannot be becoming one with God. Becoming implies the present non-being, which is absurd. We have seen that Sri Bhagwan never accepted any distinction between individual and God. Being is the all-pervading, eternal Existence, and since we are irrefutably certain of only our own existence only, it follows that we ourselves are Being or Existence. This is why Sri Bhagwan has taught that we are here and now and forever God. For true seekers of Truth, it does not matter that those who make God in their own image and worship Him as personality consider identification of man with God as heretical.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil     
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 11:01:23 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

Sadhak

• View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: March 15, 2016, 01:38:58 PM »
"I do not consider it either propaganda or fanatical evangelism. I shall certainly not like to judge and label simple utterances of devotees as such."

Ha. Saying 'ultimate destination' and 'true seeker' are themselves based on comparison and purely judgmental. To suggest that those who go elsewhere are not true seekers is hardly a simple utterance of innocent devotees. It is along the same lines as saying 'those who do not believe in Christ as their saviour will go to hell'.

"When someone says something for one's Guru, Ashram, and one's Guru's Teaching, out of pure love and exultation, I do not like to see it negatively, nor seek to find fault in that."

But we don't say the same thing or react the same way when somebody says Jesus or Allah is the ultimate!  So we expose our duplicity.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: March 15, 2016, 04:54:38 PM »
Quote:
"Saying 'ultimate destination' and 'true seeker' are themselves based on comparison and purely judgmental. To suggest that those who go elsewhere are not true seekers is hardly a simple utterance of innocent devotees. It is along the same lines as saying 'those who do not believe in Christ as their saviour will go to hell'."

This is a gross misinterpretation of what I meant to say. For instance, I never, never even remotely suggested that those who go elsewhere are not true seekers or not seekers at all, for I do not know.  I have never been concerned  abou what others love or do. I simply do not care. However, I shall keep quoting from Sri Bhagwan's Teaching, from His devotees' writing and composition including Mountain Path, and discussing and sharing with those who do not find my writing and discussion fanatical or evangelic propaganda, etc.   

Quote:
"But we don't say the same thing or react the same way when somebody says Jesus or Allah is the ultimate! So we expose our duplicity."

Why, of course, Jesus, Christ, Budha and many other great enlightened Souls are as great as Bhagwan Sri Ramana. There is no distinction whatever in their greatness. I see Bhagwan Sri Ramana in all of them. But I am drawn to Bhagwan Sri Ramana and His Teaching, and I long, long ago knew intuitively, understood and accepted Him as my Guru.  I do not understand why anybody should be concerned and mentally agitated about it. Besides, I never was concerned and agitated when some devotees, owing allegiance to other gurus, eulogized and discussed about their their teachings here even in this forum, which claims to be dedicated to Sri Bhagwan and His Teaching.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 04:58:17 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: March 15, 2016, 05:01:45 PM »
Contd from my post 4654:

Arunachala, Thou art the Eye of the eye, Mind of the mind and Awareness of the awareness. By Thy nature of omniscience Thou indwellest everything and being the all and as all, Thou remainest as the perceiver of perception perceiving without an instrument of Perception, yet being 'not the other' of the perceived. (There is no object except Himself, the perceiver).Who is there who can objectify and know in the plane of the triputi Thee who is beyond the objectified knowledge and abideth as Infinite Eye?
V. 15, Srii Arunachala Akshramanamalai, Sri Sadhu Natanananda

Dear devotees, the line under bracket 'There is no object except Himself, the Perceiver' contains a great clue meditation on which can at once take one to the attention on to oneself, the seer. What I am driving at is only the practice  according to the  Teaching:  SEE  THAT  WHO  SEES.   
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 05:17:37 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Sadhak

• View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: March 15, 2016, 05:34:48 PM »
" I do not understand why anybody should be concerned and mentally agitated about it.".

The response was to the statements you quoted from Mountain Path. Anything that appears in a publication cannot be taken as sacrosanct. They are not statements from Bhagawan. If some rubbish is posted, people can and will point it out. I don't see anybody agitated here unless you felt it was directed at you and got disturbed. Perhaps it is better to exercise some discretion before reproducing material that has no relation to Bhagawan"s teaching or his approach which was always to help people understand along their own path. Not ever to proclaim his ashram to be the ultimate destination for 'true seekers'.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: March 15, 2016, 06:09:03 PM »
Quote:
Ramanasramam is not an abode for worldly people. One must have practiced intense penance in previous lives in order to step into such an asharam and have spiritual experiences.
Ramanasramam is the ultimate destination for a true seeker of the Self. I see the devotees in the asharam, and I can in no way think that they are ordinary people. I feel the presence of great rishis, sadhus, and jnanis among them. The devotees who have come from far off lands in search of such a destination, dedicating their lives at His feet, truly belong to this place. I feel inferior to them when I see them chanting Sri Rudram and singing Tamil parayana. Guru Ramana shows no discrimination between the rich and poor, black and white, literate and illiterate, East and West and showers His Grace through His divine look according to each person's inner capacity and yearning.
I bow in thanks to Lord Guru Ramana Mahadeva for having created this divine temple of self-knowledge for His devotees on this earth.

From the Article 'A Divine Hospital of Medication through Meditation' authored by Sri Shilpi Virupakshi Davanagere, published in the current Mountain Path

Dear devotees, some may say whatever they like to say, but I fully agree with what the Author has written as above, as published in the Mountain Path. Since my feeling regarding the content of the above quote is similar, if not the same, I thought it rather appropriate to post it here under this topic. I bow in gratitude.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 06:38:29 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: March 16, 2016, 01:18:02 PM »
The world is none other than the mind. The mind is none other than the heart. THEREFORE   THE  ENTIRE  STORY  FINISHES  IN  THE  HEART.
v. 12, Ch. 5, Sri Ramana Gita

........The mind in Sahasrara is like the disc of the moon.
V. 13, Ch. 5, Sri Ramana Gita

Just as the sun gives light to the moon this heart bestows the effulgence on the mind.
V. 14, Ch. 5, Sri Ramana Gita

As the night when the sun is not present, one sees the light in the moon, the man who is not present in the heart, sees merely the mind.
V. 15, Ch. 5, Sri Ramana Gita

Without seeing the origin of light, the true from of one's Self the ordinary man sees by the mind different things and is deluded.
V. 16, Ch. 5, Sri Ramana Gita

The Jnanin present  in the heart sees the mind merged in the light of the heart, LIKE  MOONLIGHT  IN  THE  PRESENCE  OF  THE  SUN  DURING  THE  DAY.
V. 17, Ch. 5, Sri Ramana Gita   

« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 01:20:16 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: March 16, 2016, 06:14:44 PM »
Sri S.S. Cohen:

To follow up the Quest till the Self is realized, is the path of Jnana, of Supreme Knowledge, of Liberation and Bliss-everlasting--a path which has been viewed by the Master from every side and discussed in every detail. He has said everything that needs be said and revealed everything that needs be revealed. And whatever He has not said and revealed is scarcely worth knowing.
This is, therefore, the spiritual Kamadhenu, which can satisfy the hunger of all Truth-seekers. The sadhaka, or yogi, who puts the teaching to the test will find in it ample material to guide him in his inner quest. What helps one sadhaka in his forward march may not help another; but every sadhaka will find in it the hints which will help him most to work out for himself the method of practice which suits him best and which is likely to lead him straight to the Goal. He who looks in it for long, detailed lectures on the rules of meditation and Samadhi, as he is accustomed to do on the laws of physics and mathematics, will look in vain; for we do not deal here with sensuous problems and equations which can be verified and resolved in the common world of liquids and solids, of durations and dimensions, but with the obstacles of the seeking mind itself to perceive its own native state--obstacles which none can remove but the very same mind through self-investigation and self-control, without the help of any sensuous medium or scientific instrument.
From the Preface of the book named 'Reflections' authored by Sri S.S. Cohen

Dear Devotees,

He has said everything that needs be said and revealed everything that needs be revealed. And whatever He has not said and revealed is scarcely worth knowing. And what He has said and revealed are all in the books, well and accurately recorded by His able and graced devotees, and there is nothing secret about His Teaching, as He Himself  has assured. Such is His Grace! This is indeed the spiritual Kamadhenu!!     
If a shadhak is sincere and earnest, His Grace certainly helps silently to work out the method of practice most suited to his temperament and maturity, for the Guru's work lies within. This is what is meant, in my view, by the statement that even the form of the Quest may be different for different sadhaks, which they have to work out for themselves while walking the Path itself. In my view, Self-enquiry itself guides and leads the earnest and sincere sadhaks to Goal. I have not even an iota of doubt about it. This why I  have kept reiterating that Quest as taught by Sri Bhagwan is a Holistic Method, that is, the Whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 06:21:09 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: March 17, 2016, 11:10:53 AM »
Q: Is contact between spiritual leaders of East and West possible? Is India the spiritual world centre?
Sri Bhagwan: Spirit is unlimited and formless. The spiritual centre is the same. There is only one such centre. Whether in West or East, the centre cannot differ. It has no locality. Being unlimited, it includes leaders, world, forces of destruction and construction. You speak of contact because you are thinking of embodied being as leaders. The spiritual men are no bodies; they are not aware of their bodies. They are spirit, limitless and formless. There is always unity among them. These questions cannot arise if Self is realized.
Source: Conscious Immortality

Dear devotees, question of East and West, Sri Jesus or Sri Bhagwan Ramana, Lord Budha or Sri Paramhamsa, etc., is arising only because the Self has not been realized. Therefore, one's first and foremost duty is to realize the Self, whoever is his guru or whatever the method adopted. There is no scope of dispute or argument over that unless one cannot live without them. Only thing, here in this Forum, I shall keep telling that on Sri Bhagwan's Path of Vichara, the Self is the Inner Guru who is ceaselessly beckoning the sadhaks to Itself directly. And last but not the least, we will do well to always remember that in Bhagwan Sri Ramana and His Teaching, outer Guru and the Inner Guru are One, Who is That.   
Pranam,
  Anil     
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 11:13:04 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: March 18, 2016, 10:20:12 AM »
Q. But is God really doer of all actions I perform?
Sri Bhagwan: The present difficulty is that man thinks he is the doer. But it is a mistake. It is the higher power which does everything and man is a tool. If he accepts that position he is free from troubles, otherwise he courts them. Take, for instance the sculpted figure at the base of a gopuram (temple tower), which is made to appear as if it is bearing the burden of the tower on his shoulder. Its posture and look are a picture of great strain which gives the impression that is bearing the weight of the tower. But think. The tower is built on the earth and it rests on its foundation. The figure is a part of the tower, but it is made to look as if it is bearing the weight of the tower. Is it not funny? So also is the man who takes on himself the sense of doing.

Dear Devotees,

Man not only gives impression but believes that he is bearing the burden of his family, office, society, world, et al. is it not? Sri Bhagwan has used various similes tellingly to drive the fundamental truth home. The simile of the sculpted figure at the base of the temple tower has been employed by Sri Bahgwan to teach that man is only a part of the Divine Drama being enacted, exactly as the sculpted figure at the base of the temple tower is only a part of the tower. Sri Bhagwan has taught, as in the quote above, that it is the Higher Power which does everything, and that man is a mere tool. V. 14-9 of the Srimad Bhagavad Gita teaches that when we recognize the Gunas alone as the agent in all actions, and ourselves as transcending the Gunas, we realize our Atma-swarupa.

Thanks very much. 
Pranam,
  Anil         
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 10:23:04 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: March 19, 2016, 02:13:22 PM »
Sri Bhagwan:

I came here not knowing why; I was literally 'charmed' here. But when one realizes the Seer there is nothing else to be seen, no other place one wishes to go to visit. Seer, the object seen, and act of seeing, all these now merge into One, the substratum of all.

The state of realization is like a straight main road; the intellect and the senses are the jungle. We are all wandering about in the jungle. It is difficult to get to the main road, but once there the way is straight and easy. That is why I say this realization of the Self is easy. 

Dear devotees, when one forgets the way-out of a jungle, enquiring the way he gets to the road and to home and safety from robbers and dreadful animals. So also we have lost our way in the jungle of intellect and senses, and therefore, right course is to enquire the way and reach the straight road and then to Home and Protection from anger, jealousy, hate, greed, temptation, desires, et al which reside in the jungle of intellect and senses; in short, FROM  THE  TYRANNY  OF  THE  MIND.       
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 02:15:18 PM by eranilkumarsinha »