Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 755911 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #465 on: January 26, 2011, 02:15:38 PM »
The third paragraph of  my last post ( re-494 ) should read, " The Upanishads describe the nature of Brahman as the Supreme Sole Truth, or Sat, using third person pronoun as in the quoted text above. However, in the context of the creation-jivas and the world, first person pronoun is used.
" Aham Atma Gudakesh..", or " I am the Self of all. ", or " I am is God. " , or " I is the Name of God"

Thank you,
    Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 27, 2011, 07:49:53 AM »
Thus, the Supreme sense of ‘ I’  is the Unmanifest, Eternal and Infinite Supreme Self who is at the same time the Inner Self of all beings. He (the supreme Self) is the implied meaning and real significance of ‘I’ in individuals. However, the direct, immediate and apparent sense of ‘I’ in individuals is the ego. Arrogating to itself the sovereignty of the Self, and its subtle forces like the mind and inner organs, feeling smug and waxing eloquent on achievement and falling to abysmal nadir on sorrows, this false, spurious, and wretched little ego-self poses as the ‘self’ in the external world. This becomes possible because of the ever persisting Presence of the Supreme Self as the Inner Self in the innermost recess of hearts of all individuals. It even supports and is the basis  for  distinctiveness that is individuality.

Nevertheless, individual  selves, although many, are not different from the True Inner Self. Hence, the Upanishadic Teaching that although selves are many the Self is One.

Sri Bhagwan says that ego is the wrong identification of the Self with the not-Self.   

Thank You,
    Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 28, 2011, 07:27:56 AM »
There is only One Self. Ego is false and does not exist. Otherwise, Sri Bhagwan says, one would be always two instead of one. One  you  the ego and the other you the Self. This is absurd. Sri Bhagwan says that you are a single indivisible whole. If one believes otherwise, this is because of lack of enquiry. If we believe in the snake, this is because of lack of enquiry. Sri Bhagwan says , “ Enquire into yourself and the apparent ego and ignorance will disappear “.

The ego-mind is false and is non-existent. The ego is like one’s own shadow which can neither be buried as Major Sri Chadwick found to his dismay, nor can be killed. I do not mean to say that Sri Chadwick was not aware of the futility of his efforts. This symbolic act of Sri Chadwick  only signifies and underlines the simple fact that the ego is very tenacious and cannot be easily got rid of.

Does one, can one, kill the snake falsely superimposed on the substratum of the rope in the dim light ? Sri Bhagwan says that just as there is no need to kill the rope which one imagines to be a snake, so also, there is no need to destroy the mind. Knowing the form of the  mind makes the mind disappear.

Devotee : Then why you say “know thyself” you want me to know this ego-self ?
Sri Bhagwan : But the moment the ego-self tries to know itself, it changes its character ; it begins to partake less and less of the jada, in which it is absorbed, and more and more of the Consciousness of the Self, the Atman.
                                        Sat-Darshana Bhashya and Talks with Maharshi, p-16

Thank You,
    Anil       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 28, 2011, 08:02:28 AM »
I am ever the nature of the Supreme Brahman,
The undivided Knowledge without any ego.
It is the ego that is ever the misery of worldly existence.
The great truth is that there is no ego
And that there is not an atom apart from me.
I am undivided, complete, and full.
I am ever the Supreme Brahman.
Inquire steadfastly into this every day.
                                                                            Verse-14-28, The Song of Ribhu

You are “I” ; I am ”I” ; all else that is, is “I”.
There is no doubt about this.
Without any duality, be continuously immersed in the meditation
That that pure “I” is the Supreme Brahman.
There is no delusion, no consequences of delusion,
And no difference of any kind whatever-nothing at all.
I am the Supreme Brahman.
Inquire steadfastly into this every day.
                                         Verse-14- 29, The Song of Ribhu
                                           Tr. Dr. H. Ramamoorthy and Nome   

Thank You,
     Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 29, 2011, 08:41:26 AM »
Man is endowed with reason-the faculty to discriminate between what is real and what is unreal. But although reason and intellect occupy such a high pedestal in the worldly scheme of things, their utility in the relative world seems to be confined only to choosing the pleasant from the unpleasant, the joyful from the sorrowful, and the satisfactory from the unsatisfactory. In other words, we act when nudged by the instinctive impulses to seek pleasant pastures outside, much like the animals which do not boast of such endowments as the thinking and the reasoning faculty as we do.

Sri Bhagwan says that we, as individuals, are sentient beings and cannot function apart from the consciousness. The Self is Pure Consciousness. Yet, how rational we are that we identify ourselves with this insentient body which is jada-the earth, water etc. !

Is it not a sin that being Pure Sentience, we confuse ourselves with this body and the world to which it belongs.Sri Bhagwan says that the very birth of the ego is the greatest sin for it arrogates to itself THAT and superimposes It on the insentient.

Sri Bhagwan says that the insentient body does not say “ I am the body “ of its own accord. The unlimited Self also does not. Who else is he that says so ? A spurious ‘I’ arises between the Pure Consciousness and the insentient body. Seek this and it will vanish as a phantom. That phantom is the ego, or the mind or the individuality.

“All the sastras are based on the rise of this phantom, whose elimination is their purpose. The present state is mere illusion. Disillusionment is the goal and nothing more.”
                                                                  Talks, no-427
To sum up : We are the Supreme Self, nothing less, only imagining ourselves to be the insentient body. This is a mere mental error. Therefore, it follows that ‘ ONLY THE IMAGINATION ELEMENT IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE RISE OF THIS SPURIOUS ENTITY . We imagine ourselves as the man the ego and not as Self as we really are.

Thank You
     Anil       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 30, 2011, 07:47:36 AM »
The faith of every individual , o Bharata, is in accordance with his nature. Man is essentially endowed with faith. What his faith is, that, verily he is.
                                                                                                   Verse-17-3, Srimad Bhagvad Gita

One who has faith and concentration and has subdued his senses attains knowledge.Having gained knowledge he speedily attains Supreme Peace.
                                                                                                     Verse-4-39, Srimad Bhagvad Gita

The two quoted verses from Srimad Bhagvad Gita deal essentially with faith. Sri Bhagwan included these verses as Verse no.17 and 18 in the Song Celestial comprising of 42 most sublime Verses from the Scripture of the Mankind, Srimad Bhagavad Gita.

The way to Self-Realization is through faith and Self-control. Sri S. Radhakrishnan says that faith is the aspiration of the soul to gain wisdom. It is the reflection  in the empirical self of the wisdom that dwells in the deepest level of our being.

So, the faith that we must possess is neither blind nor acceptance of a belief but the inward intuition of Reality which indicates the Path and leads to It.

Our nature is so constituted that we all possess some faith or the other and act according to that faith or conviction. Such faith may even develop unconsciously in action and reaction to the external events. For instance, if one believes that wealth alone can make him happy, all his actions will be guided by this belief. On the contrary, if he has deep conviction that the goal of life is to seek divinity within , the set of his actions will be governed by that faith alone. So, the Great Lord says, “ What his faith is, that, verily he is “.

Having divine faith, indeed, in my opinion, is the greatest achievement for man in this temporary world of ephemeral phenomena. There is no doubt that such intense faith is the mightiest weapon in the possession of the seekers by means of which otherwise tyrannous mind and rebellious senses can be subdued easily.

Therefore, the Great Lord declares that if one has intense faith and through that faith has subdued his senses, attains The Supreme Realization quickly.

Thank You,
    Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 30, 2011, 07:55:16 AM »

Dear Anil,

David Godman says in his book Be As You Are:

This practice of self attention or awareness of the 'I'-thought
is a gentle technique, which bypasses the usual repressive methods
of controlling the mind.  It is not an exercise in concentration, nor
does it aim by suppressing thoughts, it merely invokes awareness
of the Source from which the mind springs.

The method of self inquiry is to abide in the Source of the mind,
and to be aware of what one really is, by withdrawing attention and interest from what one is not.  In the early stages, effort in the form of transferring the attention from the thoughts to the thinker is essential, but once awareness of the 'I'-feeling has been firmly established, further effort is counter-productive.  From then on, it is more of a process of being than doing, of effortless being rather than the effort to be.

Arunachala Siva.          

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 30, 2011, 08:20:29 AM »
Verse 4-39 form Srimad Bhagvad Gita was cited along with the Verse 17-3 in my last post. I felt it appropriate to cite the Verse 4-40 also.

But the man who is ignorant, who has no faith, who is of a doubting nature, perishes. For the doubting soul, there is neither this world nor the world beyond nor any happiness.
                                                        Verse 4-40, Srimad Bhagvad Gita

We must inculcate a faith that stands the test of reality and unreality. Intense and unwavering divine  faith is the only positive basis of life. Strong positive conviction is essential for life to be meaningful. The Great Lord says that the one who is of doubting nature ruins this precious life and  perishes. 

Thank You,
   Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 30, 2011, 09:00:15 AM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,
                  Pranam,

Ji. Yes. I have read Sri David Godman’s  ‘Be As You Are’ which is a very exceptional work dealing pointedly with the ‘Natural State’.

You have very truly mentioned in your post that once the awareness of the ‘I’-feeling has been firmly established, further effort is counterproductive. Ji, from then on, it is a matter of only being, simply being than doing, of just effortless being rather than putting in any effort to be. From then on, It is only Grace, only Sri Bhagwan’s Grace. No doing. Nothing whatever other than ‘summa iru’.

Thank you so much sir for a very well-timed gracious spiritual counselling.

Regards,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 30, 2011, 06:07:23 PM »

Dear Anil,

Yes. Sri Bhagavan said Summa Iru.  This is Maha Vakya.  Do not
get excited / worry about the world, its happiness and misery.

Question:  Is the world created for happiness or misery?

Sri Bhagavan:  Creation is neither good nor bad.  It is as it is.
It is the human mind, which puts all sorts of constructions on it,
seeing things from its own angle and interpreting them to suit its own interests.  A woman is just a woman, but one mind calls her
'mother', another 'sister' and still another 'aunt' and so on.  Men
love women, hate snakes, and are indifferent to the grass and stones by the roadside.  These value judgments are the cause of all the misery in the world.  Creation is like a peepul tree; birds come tom eat its fruit, or take shelter under its branches.  Men cool themselves in its shade, but some may hang themselves on it also!  Yet the tree continues to lead its quiet life, unconcerned with and unaware of all the uses it is put to.  It is the human mind that creates its own difficulties and then cries for help.  Is God so partial as to give peace to one person and sorrow to another?
In creation, there is room for everything, but man refuses to see the good, the healthy and the beautiful.  Instead, he goes on whining, like the hungry man who sits besides the tasty dish and who, instead of stretching out his hand to satisfy his hunger, goes on lamenting.  Whose fault is it, god's or man's?     

[From S. Cohen, Guru Ramana].

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 31, 2011, 07:03:38 AM »
Knowledgeless  non-inquiry is the abode of ignorance.
It will hide from the sight the knowledge
That can confer endless blessings.
Instead, it will project an insurmountable imagination.
It will not let one abide in the perfectly full nature.
It is the seed , without a peer , for all overwhelming fear.
Ina trice, it will accumulate sankalpa (concept, fixed idea) and
Vikalpa (doubt,difference, imagination)
And a million modifications of the mind.
                                   Verse 32-19, Song of Ribhu

Why dilate upon this ?
Non-inquiry will drown everyone in the sea of worldly misery.
There is no greater enemy anywhere
Equal to non-inquiry.
Therefore, conquer this enemy, non-inquiry,
By the inquiry into the undivided Absolute,
And, attaining undivided Knowledge by your bhava (conviction, attitude),
Be of the nature of mere Truth.
                                   Verse 32-20, Song of Ribhu

What is this inquiry into the undivided Absolute ?
Who am I ? What is this world ? What is in this ?
What is the Supreme Truth ?
Asking of the Sadguru thus,
And by Vedanta, having the certitude of Brahman
And the Truth that I am Brahman, the world is Brahman,
And whatever exists everywhere is the undivided Supreme
Brahman,
Is the inquiry.
                                        Verse 32-21, Song of Ribhu
                                        Tr. Dr.H.Ramamoorthy and Nome

Thank You
   Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 31, 2011, 07:56:40 AM »
Sri Bhagwan says, (Talk 270), that an examination of the ephemeral nature of the external phenomena leads to vairagya. Hence enquiry (vichara) is the first and foremost step to be taken. When Vichara continues automatically, it results in a contempt for wealth, fame, ease, pleasure etc. The  ‘I’-thought becomes clearer for inspection. Sri Bhagwan further says that if, however, the aspirant is not temperamentally suited to Vichar Marga ( to the introspective and analytical method ), he may develop bhakti (devotion) to an ideal-may be God, Guru, ethical laws etc. When one of these  takes  possession  of the individual, other attachments grow weaker i.e. dispassion (vairagya) develops. Attachment for the ideal simultaneously grows and finally holds the field. Thus, ekagrata (concentration) grows simultaneously and imperceptibly. Sri Bhagwan says that in the absence of enquiry and devotion, pranayama may be tried.

Sri Bhagwan says that examination of the ephemeral nature of the worldly phenomena leads to vairagya. But, other than ‘I’, everything that one can think of –wealth, fame, family, relationship, achievement, sorrows, joys-everything-is of the ephemeral or temporary nature. If by enouiry and discrimination, one is able to shed off this temporary and superfluous superimposition on ‘I’, I-thought becomes clearer for inspection which will invariably lead to Self-Realization finally.
In my view, it is here that the free will comes into operation or the need for the exercise of the free will arises. For here is the choice. Either we act with passion for temporary worldly possession, or by enquiry develop a contempt for them understanding their ephemeral nature.

The first one takes us to bottomless pit of dark ignorance. On the contrary, the other one leads to the Realization of the Self-Existence, Consciousness and Bliss. We have been given a life-time opportunity to exercise the free will judiciously- at least once !

Thank You,
   Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 31, 2011, 09:46:17 AM »

Dear Anil,

Muruganar says in  Padamalai:

Verse 295:  If one carefully determines the most auspicious day to
perform [self inquiry], the one good action, there is no other day like today.

Verse 296:   If one performs [that self inquiry] whenever the
opportunity arises, without the least lapse of attention, one's
life will become solid and fortified.

Verse 727:  Practise Vichara ceaselessly while you are awake and
destroy the forgetfulness of mind that leads one to the laya of sleep.

Verse 620:  Only Vichara removes the desires for the numerous enjoyments of the senses, by revealing them to be insubstantial.

Verse 621: Only beneficial Vichara will confer upon you, as your own form, the limitless expanse of supreme bliss.

{Sri Ramana Gita, Ch. 7, Verse 6:  The result of self inquiry is freedom from all suffering.  This is the highest of all fruits.  There is nothing higher than this.}

Verse 2280:  Through Jnana Vichara, diving within inquiring "Who am I?", the delusion of attachment and the I-am-the-body idea will be destroyed.

Verse 643:  When, through inquiry, one attains clear experience of reality as a result of obtaining true Jnana, there is nothing further to be attained.

Verse 2368: Seeking knowledge of the Self through inquiry "Who am
I?" is the perfect medicinal herb for all ailments.

Verse 2369:  The medicinal herb, Vichara, will attack and destroy all the different diseases.

[Tr. and arrangement of verses - David Godman ]     

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 01, 2011, 08:08:38 AM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Sri Muruganar’s composition and works capture the quintessence of Sri Bhagwan’s Sublime Teaching. Sri Bhagwan says that examination of the ephemeral nature of the external phenomena leads to vairagya (dispassion) and enquiry is the first and the foremost step to be taken. And here the sage poet sings, “ Only Vichara removes the desires for the numerous enjoyments of the senses, by revealing them to be insubstantial ”.

Vichara gradually reveals the external phenomena as well as thoughts and objects to be merely mental. Vichara finally reveals everything other than ‘I’, the Seer, to be utterly non-existent and like water in a mirage.

Thank you so much sir for citing relevant and sublime verses from Padamalai.

Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 01, 2011, 08:11:44 AM »
It is so long as one thinks ‘I know other things’ that the delusion ‘I do not know myself’ will remain. When such a thought is removed by the experience of the ever-existing Self-Knowledge, that delusion will become false (that is, it will become non-existent).
                                                                                              Verse 548, GVK, Tr. Sri Sadhu Om

‘I do not know myself’  is a delusion and is concomitant with the thought  ‘I know other things’. Therefore, there is no time in which I do not know myself will dawn only when the delusion that I know other thing ceases. For, the knowledge of other thing presupposes my existence. Sri Bhagwan asks from us, “Which is prior ? Being Consciousness or the rising consciousness ?” Rising consciousness is from, in, and by the Being Consciousness

Sri Sadhu Om, in his commentary on the above cited verse, says, as following :
“ Since whenever anything is known, our power of attention takes the form of a thought (vritti) ‘I know other things’, a false delusion ‘I do not know myself ‘ prevails. But when the discrimination (viveka) ‘Whenever I know any other thing, it is known because I exist there, and hence every knowledge of my existence is already there‘  shines more and more through enquiry (Vichara), the truth ‘There is no time in which I do not know myself ‘ will dawn. This is the eternal, ever-attained state of Self-knowledge. “

Indeed, this a very powerful explanation of the above cited verse shedding light and full clarity on the ‘subject’.

Thank You,
    Anil