Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 756077 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #4620 on: February 29, 2016, 11:43:46 AM »
Anil,
Sorry,I do not have a copy of Guru vachaka kovai in Tamizh(also English) to refer to and see how it is translated.I shall see if someone has a copy and revert.
I am angry at muruganar (half in jest and half real!)that he did not just note down the words of Sri Bhagavan as he heard them but instead chose to compose a verse that Bhagavan had to edit!(not in an easy form of contemporary tamizh).I think that most of the Tamilians also need to look up at an English translation to get to understand the verses which defeats the very purpose in the first place.If I had met Muruganar I would have surely given a piece of my mind....Ha,ha ha.

Reminded of the story that Master TGN told us:The story goes like this.Lord Sri Krishna and Arjuna were walking along a forest path when they came across a Sadhu sitting in tapasya with a long sword besides him.Arjuna became curious and confided to the Lord as to how a Sadhu doing Tapasya has a big sword besides him.The Lord nudged Arjuna to approach the sadhu to clarify his doubt.Arjuna respectfully approached the sadhu,saluted him and said 'Sir,If I may ask....how come that such a noble soul like you has a gory weapon like this Big Sword beside you?'.The Sadhu replied:"i have reserved its use to 4 persons who I consider as great enemies".Arjuna taken aback asks the sadhu 'Sir,How come they are enemies?Who are they?".The Sadhu replied "The first fellow is Prahlada;when he was dropped in the Fire,instead of keeping quiet,he said 'Sarvam Vishnumayam jagat' and my good lord had to go through that heat to rescue him.He is my number 1 enemy"."Sir,who is the second one that you are angry with" asked Arjuna."The Second one....It is that wretched Narada who always is chanting 'narayana,Narayana' and not allowing my beloved Lord any sleep.I will chop him off if he ever comes this way"."Sir,who is the third one?" asked Arjuna as his excitement mounted."The third one is draupadi,the wife of 5 useless husbands who had the temerity to offer an old particle of rice sticking in the washed vessel to the lord when Durvasa and his disciples had to be fed.Why could not she manage to cook and satisfy their hunger.Does she have to call the lord for this trivial thing?She has to face the consequences".By now Arjuna's heart was palpitating and he summoned all his strength to ask the Sadhu "Sir who is the Fourth one in your list?"."Fourth one,it is that scoundrel Arjuna.He made the Lord as his charioteer and pressed the back of the lord with his toes to order him which way to drive the Chariot.Arjuna will not be spared if he ever passes this way".So saying the sadhu took the sword in hand and ran his fingers over its edges to see if it was still sharp enough.Arjuna quietly gave the slip from that place and joined Lord Krishna who smilingly asked him "What happened.Is your doubt cleared".Amidst panting for breath,Arjuna told him "Yes my Lord.I got my doubts cleared and also learnt a lesson in the process.I was all along thinking that I am the one close to you but realized that I am nothing in front of that sadhu who loves you so intimately!"...ha,ha ha.

Namaskar

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4621 on: March 01, 2016, 10:10:03 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Bhagwan Sri Ramana has revealed that from the POWER  VIBRATING (Her sublime original activity) Satva-filled reflection results. From the Satva-filled reflection rajasic ego results and then follow tamasic thought forms.

Sri Bhagwan:  Just as the artificial light is projected through a lens on to the screen, so also the Reflected Light passes through THOUGHT  (the magnifier) before expanding as the world beyond it.

Sri Bhagwan has thus taught that thought, itself the world in the seed form, seems to be wide external world.

Dear devotees, I wrote above to say that THOUGHTS  if properly analyzed are  mere vibrations in Consciousness or the Swarupa, and therefore in themselves they are nothing.  Thoughts are mere vibrations , the magnifier, the medium of reflection which seems  to generate appearances.  So, indeed they are nothing, but in our minds they assume ideas and notions of objects and the world.  Consciousness Itself cannot generate thoughts or matter. 

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

Dear Sri Ravi bhai saheb, I have just seen your post. I love and appreciate your forthrightness regarding GVK and Sri Muruganar, the Poet, but I concede, only with a little despondence and dismay.  I shall certainly respond to your post, a little later, to say what GVK and the Poet really mean to me.  However, I still look forwrd to obtain a translation of the said verse of the GVK.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 10:18:05 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4622 on: March 01, 2016, 05:39:57 PM »
Anilbhai,
I love and appreciate your forthrightness regarding GVK and Sri Muruganar, the Poet, but I concede, only with a little despondence and dismay.  I shall certainly respond to your post, a little later, to say what GVK and the Poet really mean to me.
Just take this simply to mean that what I have referred to is the 'Format' and not the 'content'.I understand that you like this immensely and this means so much to you.
Just to add that for me Sri Bhagavan's teachings are neatly expounded in that wonderful little essay version that Sri Bhagavan wrote...'nAn yAr'.I have not felt any need to look up any other text beyond this as far as the practice of self-enquiry is concerned.

We have taken up this for study in a study group and I am posting the opening part of the discussion here...you may like it.
I am posting the opening passage of Sri Bhagavan Ramana's நான் யார் ? :
சகல ஜீவர்களும் துக்கமென்ப தின்றி எப்போதும் சுகமாயிருக்க விரும்புவதாலும், யாவருக்கும் தன்னிடத்திலேயே பரம பிரிய மிருப்பதாலும், பிரியத்திற்கு சுகமே காரண மாதலாலும், மனமற்ற நித்திரையில் தின மனுபவிக்கும் தன் சுபாவமான அச் சுகத்தை யடையத் தன்னைத் தானறிதல் வேண்டும். அதற்கு நானார் என்னும் ஞான விசாரமே முக்கிய சாதனம்.

Translation:Since all living beings desire to be always happy without what is called misery, since for everyone the greatest love is only for oneself, and since happiness alone is the cause of love, [in order] to attain that happiness, which is one?s own [true] nature that is experienced daily in [dreamless] sleep, which is devoid of the mind, oneself knowing oneself is necessary. For that, j?āna-vicāra [knowledge-investigation] ?who am I? alone is the principal means.
We began the study with an open question to the group:"Whom do you love Best in the world?"......and invite answers.
I will quickly get to the way we study this text.We are taking our time on the very opening passage itself with which Sri Bhagavan wraps up almost everything!We summarize the understanding as follows:
1.Everyone desires to be Happy.They wish to get rid of misery....This clearly indicates that Happiness is our Real Nature.We desire unalloyed Happiness without an iota of misery.It is just like we remove a thorn that gets into our feet,because that thorn is not part of our body.We take for granted when we are happy....No one questions why he or she is happy...No one goes to a temple and asks God...'Lord,why have you given me Happiness?'...We only go and question "Why you have given me this misery?'.
2.Everyone loves himself alone....when he loves any other being,object in the world ....he/she is still in love with himself only.He just projects that self love on the 'object of Love' and says 'I love my child' or 'I love my husband' or 'I love my guru',etc,etc.He claims 'My Guru is all in all for me.There is nothing else that I love better' but what it means is just this...'யாவருக்கும் தன்னிடத்திலேயே பரம பிரிய மிருப்பதாலும்'( since for everyone the greatest love is only for oneself)....This needs to be clearly understood.
We may dwell on this opening passage for as long as is required without proceeding ahead.It is important that we completely understand this.

The Group is a set of people who are devotees of various 'Gurus'/Gods...Shirdi Baba,Kanchi Mahaswami,Sri Ramakrishna/Tiruppathi balaji/Udupi Sri Krishna,etc,etc.As such,it is only to be expected that 'devotees' feel a little unsure and a bit threatened ....yet if the sincerity and earnestness for Truth is there....all initial hurdles can be overcome....for Truth is irrefutable.It may take some time for each one to find their bearing and realize that their Faith and understanding even in what they are practising will only be strengthened and not otherwise by this wonderful exposition by Sri Bhagavan.
Of course,if we feel confident that we are quite okay with whatever we have been practising...absolutely no issues with it.In that case we should be in a position to understand any version of any teaching and see the Truth in that,just like a dog can identify it's master irrespective of whatever disguise he may come in.
We then proceed to elicit point No.3 from all.

I am yet to get my hands on the Original GVK.Please give me sometime.Please bear with me.
Namaskar

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4623 on: March 01, 2016, 06:14:06 PM »
Anilbhai,
The opening passage in Sri Bhagavan's 'nAn yAr' if understood completely frees one from all disturbances and sentimental sensitivity which are simply coloring of the mind.How?

Sri Bhagavan says that 'Everyone has supreme love for oneself' and this is applicable for all.This gives a firm conviction that in this ... in this aspect,no one is different than any other...all are alike....in other words the object(rather the subject!)is Atman or Self alone....Self is the only Reality....Who is there for the Self to agree or disagree with,be happy or dismayed with...blame or praise?
This understanding totally frees one and makes one enjoy any position taken by anyone.We have the firm understanding that no two minds are alike and differences will always be there and we appreciate the beauty of this and are quite okay with it.We may argue/discuss but in no case feel sensitive or touchy about this.

This is the reason that I consider the complete understanding of the implications of this opening passage in 'nAn yAr' very vital and important.

Namaskar.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4624 on: March 02, 2016, 11:58:35 AM »
Quote from Sri Ravi
"Sri Bhagavan says that 'Everyone has supreme love for oneself' and this is applicable for all.This gives a firm conviction that in this ... in this aspect,no one is different than any other...all are alike....in other words the object(rather the subject!)is Atman or Self alone....Self is the only Reality....Who is there for the Self to agree or disagree with,be happy or dismayed with...blame or praise?
This understanding totally frees one and makes one enjoy any position taken by anyone.We have the firm understanding that no two minds are alike and differences will always be there and we appreciate the beauty of this and are quite okay with it.We may argue/discuss but in no case feel sensitive or touchy about this.

This is the reason that I consider the complete understanding of the implications of this opening passage in 'nAn yAr' very vital and important."

Dear Sri Ravi,

Yes, From the time a senior banker friend of mine, named Sri Amrendra, considered me fit to read the small booklet 'Who am I?', this book along with a few others in which are contained His Direct Teaching,  such as Arunachala Panchratna, Upadesa Saram, Ulladu Narpadu, etc, have been my MAINSTAY, and formed the essential basis of my practice. But I must add that Sri Muruganar's sublime Poetry and Sri Sadhu Om's inspired Works helped me clear my doubts to a great extent and stabilized my sadhana and experience on the Path of the Atma-vichara, if I can term this as a Path at all. 
Dear bhai saheb, I have only this much time to say right now. However, I wish to respond to some of the important points, which you have raised in your two posts under this topic, elaborately sometime later.

Thanks very much,
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 12:01:23 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4625 on: March 02, 2016, 06:36:59 PM »
Q. 12:  Are there no other means for making the mind quiescent?

Sri Bhagwan: Other than inquiry, there are no adequate means. If through other means it is sought to control the mind, the mind will appear to be controlled, but will again go forth. Through the control of breath also, the mind will become quiescent; but it will be quiescent only so long as the breath remains controlled, and when the breath resumes the mind also will again start moving and will wander as impelled by residual impressions. The source is the same for both mind and breath. Thought, indeed, is the nature of the mind. The thought 'I' is the first thought of the mind; and that is egoity. It is from that whence egoity originates that breath also originates. Therefore, when the mind becomes quiescent,
the breath is controlled, and when the breath is controlled the mind becomes quiescent. But in deep sleep, although the mind becomes quiescent, the breath does not stop. This is because of the will of God, so that the body may be preserved and other people may not be under the impression that it is dead. In the state of waking and in samadhi, when the mind becomes quiescent the breath is controlled. Breath is the gross form of mind. Till the time of death, the mind keeps breath in the body; and when the body dies the mind takes the breath along with it. Therefore, the exercise of breath-control is only an aid for rendering the mind quiescent (manonigraha); it will not destroy the mind (manonasa).

Q.13:  The residual impressions (thoughts) of objects appear wending like the waves of an ocean. When will all of them get destroyed?

Sri Bhagwan: As the meditation on the Self rises higher and higher, the thoughts will get destroyed.

Source: Who Am I?

Dear Devotees,

The 'Who Am I?' Enquiry in question-answer format, in my view, is as profound as the essay version of the same, which was written by Sri Bhagwan Himself. If one persists in this practice earnestly, and as meditation on the Self, by His Grace, rises higher and higher, thought 'who am I?' gradually, certainly will destroy all other thoughts whatsoever.  When Sri Shiva Prakasam PillaI  expressed doubt as to whether it is possible  for the  residual impressions of objects that come from beginningless time , as it were, to be destroyed, Sri Bhagwan unequivocally taught that without yielding to the doubt one should persistently hold on to the meditation on the Self!!!

Dear devotees, this is a matter of direct experience.  Self-enquiry as taught by Bhagwan Srii Ramana is a complete spiritual practice. This is why so many devotees of Sri Bhagwan have observed profoundly that the best preparation for the Self-enquiry is the Self-enquiry!   

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 06:58:03 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4626 on: March 03, 2016, 09:25:22 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Sri S.S. Cohen, another great, old devotee, who moved closely with Sri Bhagwan, has written thus: 

Sri S. S. Cohen:

We, therefore, seek the Self in everything, in every circumstance, and at every moment. It is self-love or self-seeking that induces us to desire, to work, to learn, to compete, to exert, to become politicians, administrators, scientists, black marketeers, , gamblers, philanthropists, patriots, and finally yogis. It is self-love that makes us scour the skies, dig the earth and plumb he oceans. But alas, this self-seeking, being unintelligent, is sought outside the Self and thus succeeds only precariously, if at all. To seek the Self we have to go to the Self, not to the not-Self.
When  people, therefore, group round the Master with bundles of questions and grievances, He knows that they are seeking only the Self, and to the Self He turns them.  "You are asking all these questions in the interest of your own Self," He virtually tells them, "all your efforts have so far been directed for the good of this self of yours; now try to find out whether this good has been a genuine good, and this self is your true Self. You have been seeking this good in the wrong direction, in wrong things and wrong places, because you have been mistaken about your own identity. What you have been taking for yourself is not yourself at all. Your instinct of self-love has got mixed with your sense-perceptions and brought you down to this strait. You fell victim to a HOAX, from which to be saved you have taken the trouble to come to this Ashram with your load of worries and misery for luggage."
"Now what you should do is to learn what the Self is, and then DIRECTLY SEEK IT. Do not digress in irrelevant matters, in bodies, koshas, involution and evolution, birth and death, in supersensuous sights   and sounds, etc., for all these are glamorous irrelevancies which trap and seduce you away from the reality of yourself and retain you in the delusion of the senses from which you are now attempting to escape. WHAT  IS  OF  IMPORTANCE  IS  NOT  WHAT  YOU  PERCEIVE,  THINK  OR  DO,  BUT  WHAT  YOU  ARE."
Source: Reflections on Talks With Sri Ramana Maharshi

Dear Devotees,

Sri Abraham Lincoln has admitted that he rescued the pig which had fallen into a ditch on account of self-love only. Sri Cohen says that only because we cannot see, hear or smell our 'I', we mistake it for the body which can be seen, heard and smelled.  The self-instinct, the 'I'-sense gets mixed with the sense-perceptions, loses itself in the world of sens-perceptions, from which none can save it but the Supreme Guide, the Divine Guru. 
Dear devotees, we have already discussed that we always experience this ''' but what we are now trying to experience  is not anything other than it, but is this very same 'I', but with absolute clarity without anything mixed up with  It, such as mind, body, senses, etc.   

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
   Anil       
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 09:30:23 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4627 on: March 03, 2016, 09:44:35 AM »
Dear devotees, as you are aware the book 'Who am I?' opens with following lines:
"All living beings desire to be happy always, without misery, as in the case of everyone there is observed supreme love for one's self, and as happiness alone is the cause for love, in order to gain that happiness which is one's nature and which is experienced in the state of deep sleep where there is no mind, one should know one?s self. For that, the path of knowledge, the inquiry of the form 'Who am I?', is the principal means."

Dear devotees, what do the above lines imply? What indeed are the implications of the above Revelation for all sadhkas who so ever?
Anil
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 09:48:15 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4628 on: March 03, 2016, 10:12:03 AM »
Q. 24. What is happiness?
Sri Bhagwan: Happiness is the very nature of the Self; happiness and the Self are not different. There is no happiness in any object of the world. We imagine through our ignorance that we derive happiness from objects. When the mind goes out, it experiences misery. In truth, when its desires are fulfilled, it returns to its own place and enjoys the happiness that is the Self. Similarly, in the states of sleep, samadhi and fainting, and when the object desired is obtained or the object disliked is removed, the mind becomes inward-turned, and enjoys pure Self-Happiness. Thus the mind moves without rest alternately going out of the Self and returning to it. Under the tree the shade is pleasant; out in the open the heat is scorching. A person who has been going about in the sun feels cool when he reaches the shade. Someone who keeps on going from the shade into the sun and then back into the shade is a fool. A wise man stays permanently in the shade. Similarly, the mind of the one who knows the truth does not leave Brahman. The mind of the ignorant, on the contrary, revolves in the world, feeling miserable, and for a little time returns to Brahman to experience happiness. In fact, what is called the world is only thought. When the world disappears, i.e. when there is no thought, the mind experiences happiness; and when the world appears, it goes through misery.

Source: Who Am I?

Dear devotees, we all are aware that happiness is not objective, it is not in the object. Self-or the Swarupa alone is Happiness, that is, when the joy and enjoyer merge together, what remains is the Happiness alone. That Happiness we are! In other words, Swarupa is the Tree-Shade of Happiness, outside the Swarupa, that is, mind going outwards to graze on the objects, it is scorching heat. For discerning ones, choice to make is not all that difficult. Isn't it?
Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4629 on: March 03, 2016, 05:59:03 PM »
Srimad Bhagavad Gita portends: FIX  THE  MIND  FIRMLY  IN  THE  SELF.
So when it is asked, when the Self-enquiry is already mentioned in scriptures, what new revelation has been made by Bhagwan? The answer is easy and ready for those who have eyes to see and ears to hear.
Though Self-enquiry is mentioned in the scriptures, the actual method of practicing it is not clearly given. The scriptures gives clues, it is true, such as, "You are not the body, prana, mind, etc., you are Brahman", but these clues do not emphasize how to put it into practice. Such meditation brings in again another activity of mind--any act by the mind fetters oneself. We start with meditation but soon we find ourselves where we started! Perhaps, noticing this constant riddle continuing in spite of existing scriptural statements, the Supreme Reality which gave those scriptures, out of profound compassion for the human race, has come again in the comely form of Bhagwan Ramana, in order to give easier clues to find the Truth that can be readily understood, practiced and realized by the common man.
The uniqueness of Bhagwan's Teaching is that it is not within the framework of the mind. In fact, Bhagwan is a great Master who has exclusively dealt with the realm, scope and ultimate futility of trying to be rid of the shackles of the mind through mental methods. When the mind is itself questioned, it will merge in its source and a new dimension of functioning will come about. 
Sri V. Ganesan, Direct Teaching of Bhagwan Ramana

Dear Devotees,

I have also understood that Sri Bhagwan's Advent happened only to reveal the Enquiry in a new Avatar, which can be easily grasped and practiced by common man. Since He Himself termed His Revelation as the Direct Path, His every Utterance appears to be guiding to the Truth, and contains therefore subtle and not so subtle, graced clues to understand, grasp, practice and realize the Truth by enabling His devotees to firmly fix the mind in the Self. I know for certain that He will never, never forsake His loving devotees midway, for He has unequivocally assured that there is simply no escape from the Net of Guru's Grace, for the Trap of the Guru's Net of Grace is like Tiger's Jaw! Has He not? Hence, He gave abundant clues to be discerned by the earnest seekers of Truth rather easily.  And the greatest clue of all, in my view, is the Teaching Itself that mind is only a bundle of thoughts which are essentially vibrations in Consciousness, and when questioned it disappears being unreal, and what remains is  the Being-Consciousness, Pure and Simple!!

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil     
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 06:04:30 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4630 on: March 04, 2016, 01:33:17 PM »
When one unceasingly enquires 'Who Am I?' with an acute intellect, the body-ego completely perishes through attention that penetrates to the centre of oneself. There, reality will rise and flourish as 'I-I', terminating the differences that, like the azure blue of the sky, are mere appearances.
V. 384, GVK, Sri David Godman

Sri Bhagwan: That trustworthy Vichara exists neither in book learning nor in learning from others but ONLY  IN  ONE'S  OWN  SENSE  'I' (AHAM).

Dear devotees, enquiring in scriptures is futile. Sri Bhagwan has clearly taught that enquiring in the scriptures ABOUT  ONESELF, WHO  IS  TO  BE  ENQUIRED INTO  ONESELF,  while even the five sheaths are supposed  to be set aside, is futile. Anil

Sri Bhagwan: Without turning inwards and merging in the Lord--he who shines within the mind and lends it all its light--how can we know the light of lights with the borrowed light of the mind.

Dear devotees, objective consciousness cannot reach and know the Absolute or Pure Consciousness. Mind's consciousness is borrowed in the same way as the light of the moon is said to be borrowed from the sun. The sun does not require any light to be known, for it is self-luminous. To see the sun, all one has to do is turn the sight towards the sun. When the light by which the Self is known, the knower as well as the known are all the Self or Brahman only, all we have to do is to be the Self, that we always are, through Vichara.   Anil

Dear devotees, sri Sadhu Natanananda wote a commentary on a few verses selected from the GVK which remained unpublishedto to this day. Following is the part of the commentary in which Sri Bhagwan Himself made some handwritten corrections which are indicated below in capital:

While ISVARA  CONTINUOUSLY  ABIDES in the Heart, BESTOWING  HIS  GRACE,  without form, as not different from oneself,  AND  AS  A  DIRECTLY EXPEREINCED  ENTITY,  how can he be seen if one assumes that he is  WITH  FORM,  DIFFERENT  FROM  ONESELF  and mediated through the senses, even if one searches and wanders for aeons in the outside world?

Dear devotees, Gateway to realize the Swarupa therefore is only one's own sense of 'I' (aham). It is the final conclusion as far as practice is concerned.

Pranam,
   Anil       
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 08:04:42 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4631 on: March 06, 2016, 07:44:19 AM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

Quote:
"I am angry at muruganar (half in jest and half real!)that he did not just note down the words of Sri Bhagavan as he heard them but instead chose to compose a verse that Bhagavan had to edit!"

Yes, I do not see anything wrong in that. Almost all Realized Ones and All Divine Poets have composed great and enduring poetry and even sung divine songs extempore, ecstatically! Have they not? Spiritual Teaching, right from the ancient times, have been enshrined in great and inspired poetry only!

Quote:
"Just take this simply to mean that what I have referred to is the 'Format' and not the 'content'."

Dear Sri Ravi, yes, may be, I do not wish to comment on the form and  format of the original composition, since I do not know Tamil. But then, in sadhana or practice, content alone is of paramount importance for the sadhakas. Hardly any earnest sadhak would concern oneself much with and care for the format. I am not interested in form and format anymore, so far as practice is concerned. Only in relative life, an earnest sadhak would pretend to go along with form and format, as I, now-a-days, have often to fill technical data in given form and required format and send the same to Central Water Commission, in the water sector.

Quote:
"Just to add that for me Sri Bhagavan's teachings are neatly expounded in that wonderful little essay version that Sri Bhagavan wrote...'nAn yAr'.I have not felt any need to look up any other text beyond this as far as the practice of self-enquiry is concerned."

Yes, dear Sri Ravi bhai saheb, the above is valid for me also, and I am certain, for many, many others who walk the Path of Sri Bhagwan's Vichara. As I said earlier, the Enquiry as enshrined in the small booklet 'Who Am I?' (in both question-answer as well as essay form) along with a few other direct Teaching as contained in Upadesa Saram, Ulladu Narpadu, etc., have been my Mainstay to this day as far as practice is concerned.  However, as others still continue to read many books including sasrtas, Sri Muruganar's composition and Sri Sadhu Om's Works have been source of excellent SHRAVANA  all these years for me. I never, never, and I repeat never, felt anything lacking on account of the fact that I do not know Tamil, though I wish sincerely to learn Tamil, only to sing Aksharmanamalai and see Sri Muruganar's composition in the original language in which they were composed, if not for anything else. I wish to, however, mention that the Teaching of Sri Bhagwan, in my view,  has been translated adequately and language has not been a contraint or a barrier for those who do not know the language in which the Guru spoke.   

Quote:
"Sri Bhagavan says that 'Everyone has supreme love for oneself' and this is applicable for all.This gives a firm conviction that in this ... in this aspect,no one is different than any other...all are alike....in other words the object(rather the subject!)is Atman or Self alone....Self is the only Reality....Who is there for the Self to agree or disagree with,be happy or dismayed with...blame or praise?
This understanding totally frees one and makes one enjoy any position taken by anyone.We have the firm understanding that no two minds are alike and differences will always be there and we appreciate the beauty of this and are quite okay with it.We may argue/discuss but in no case feel sensitive or touchy about this."

Yes, dear bhai saheb, I am cent percent in agreement with what you have written above. This is indeed true for the Realized ones and for advanced sadhakas who remain continually in Self-abidance and whose attention do not externalize anymore. Though I feel His Presence everywhere, wherever I go, particularly always in my heart, I still love, undiminished, His Physical Form and His Words of Grace. I do not think there is anything negative about that as your use of words, such as 'sensitive or touchy' seem to suggest, for I know it is love Sri Bhagwan Himself speaks of.

Thanks very much, dear Sri Ravi bhai saheb, for your beautiful response.
Pranam,
  Anil     
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 08:12:27 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4632 on: March 06, 2016, 11:29:34 AM »
Quote from Sri Ravi:
"I am angry at muruganar (half in jest and half real!)that he did not just note down the words of Sri Bhagavan as he heard them but instead chose to compose a verse that Bhagavan had to edit!"

Dear Sri Ravi and Devotees,

The highest and most authoritative endorsement of the book comes from Bhagwan Himself. As I mentioned earlier in the introduction, He rewrote verse 13 in such a way that it declared Guru Vachaka Kovai to be a 'pre-eminent scripture', or a 'supreme treasure', and He made a significant alteration to a sentence in the introduction that emphasized either the greatness or the uniqueness of the work.

"..this work alone has come into existence to explain in great detail and in PRISTINE  form Sri Ramana?s philosophy and its essential nature."
Source: Introduction, GVK, Sri David Godman

He who strung into a garland a few of the Guru's instructions and announced this pre-eminent SCRIPTURE to the world is Kanna Murugan, who sees through his eyes of grace that the essence of all things is only the flourishing feet of his Lord.
V. 13, GVK, Sri David Godman

Dear Sri Ravi, the original Verse 13 of the GVK is said to have been composed by an anonymous admirer of Sri Muruganar. However, the footnote below this Verse informs that prior to the first printing of the GVK, Sri Bhagwan virtually crossed out all of the original and composed a new version as above, which praises Sri Muruganar far more effusively than the original.

Sri Godman writes in the Introduction:
It was Muriganar alone who succeeded not only in recording a massive corpus of teachings in Tamil, but also inspiring Bhagwan to check, revise, and occasionally completely rewrite the verses.
In an essay he wrote on Muruganar, Sadhu Om made the following remarks about the pre-eminent place of Guru Vachaka Kovai in the Ramana literature:
Sri Sadhu Om:
"...if anyone wants a single text of Sri Bhagwan?s teachings in which clear expositions of all the various secrets of spiritual wisdom that should be known by the world are gathered together, that  one text is Guru Vachaka Kovai.."
"..if we want to verify what the correct teaching of Sri Bhagwan is on any particular subject, the answer will be available in Ulladu Narpadu, Upadesa Undiyar or Guru Vachaka Kovai. Therefore, these three works are the true Sri Ramana prasthanatraya, three fundamental texts of Sri Ramana's divine revelation, and they are indeed prasadam (blessed gift) of His Grace which the world has received through the agency of Sri Muruganar." 

Dear Sri Ravi, in the light of the above,  I wish to say that your anger at Sri Muruganar is unfounded and therefore not quite justified, and Sri Bhagwan's  editing, correcting and sometimes rewriting the entire Verse  of the GVK before  it went  for printing  in the year 1939 only adds sheen and great credibility to the Scripture named Sri Guru Vachaka Kovai. The Great, Divine Poet of Sri Bhagwan's Divine Court, therefore, in my view, deserves our love, and not the anger, even if it is in half jest or full derision! Besides, the Poet has himself affirmed the truth of his Realization and Non-dual Experience, and therefore, as you yourself have said, we are not competent to comment as to why he did something the way he did. Hence, his Utterances, I am of the opinion, are as sacrosanct as Words of Grace uttered by any other Realized One!!       

Thanks very much, dear Sri Ravi.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 11:34:52 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4633 on: March 06, 2016, 06:55:09 PM »
Jnamali-yir keda nanen nuru-diyal
Nadi-nin nuru-ven Arunachala.

Arunachala! Though I am lowlier than a cur by nature, yet by the sheer strength of my stern resolution to seek and find Thee-my source-I shall somehow reach Thee definitely by retracing my steps the way I came.
V. 39, Sri Arunachala Akshara Mana Malai translated by KAYS

Sadhu Sri Natanananda's commentary:

The idea conveyed is as follows:
By the sheer power of enquiry of the Self  (Who Am I?) by singling out the first thought 'I' that springs from Thee and taking it as my guide,  by degrees I shall reach Thy Feet of Grace, the place of my birth. 

Dear devotees, we are so fond of our worldly place of birth, that is, the birth place of the 'I'-thought. Are we not? Well, it is high time to take a stern resolution to seek, retracing our steps the way we came, and find His Feet of Grace, which is our real Place of birth, our Source.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 06:57:23 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4634 on: March 07, 2016, 06:54:35 AM »
Dear Devotees,

When I saw the mention of 'place of birth' in Sri Natanananda's commentary on the Verse 39 of Sri Arunachala Akshra Mana Malai, I at once remembered Verse 782 of the GVK:

To investigate what is  our birth place and to merge in that birth place is  of all methods the best for rooting out the suffering that exists only in the place we have entered.
V. 782, GVK, Sri David Godman

Sri Muruganar's profound commentary follows:
The miseries of birth appear only in the place that one has entered, that is, the mind that manifests as the body and the world. They do not arise in the place of one's birth, the Heart. Therefore, by enquiring through Self-ward attention, "What is the place of my birth?", a person should reach and abide in his source, the Heart. Out of all the techniques that are suitable for destroying the miseries of birth, this is the best.

"Just as a woman, suffering intolerably in her father-in-law's house, obtains peace in her mother's house, so the mind, harried by samsaric suffering, wins peace by returning to its source."
V. 520, Sri Ramanaparavidyopanishad:

Source: GVK, Sri David Godman

Pranam,
    Anil
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 06:57:15 AM by eranilkumarsinha »