Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 756799 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #4605 on: February 14, 2016, 08:01:19 AM »
Dear Devotees,

'I'-thought arises from the  Reflected Consciousness,  Which is Pure Mind , or even Ishvara, and Reflected Consciousness from the Pure Consciousness or the Self.  This is why Sri Bhagwan has taught that the 'I'-thought or the ego is the product of the second reflection.

Dear devotees, now why is the Great Quest or the Vichara is the direct path?  Reason to discerning ones are obvious enough. Is it not? Sri Bhagwan has taught in the Verse 29 of the  Ulladu Narpadu that without mouthing aloud 'I', but diving deep into the Heart and seeking the place from where the consciousness as 'I' rises, is the direct path of winning the Awareness of our Real Self. How can there be two opinions about this teaching? Consciousness as 'I' arises from the Heart, and the Sadguru is exhorting us to dive deep into the Heart, without mouthing aloud 'I', and seeking the exact place from where the consciousness as 'I' rises. Therefore, the earnest practisers of this Great Quest understand intuitively its directness soon enough, due to His Grace, as I gathered from the writings and reminisces of His past and present devotees.

For this reason, Sri Bhagwan has taught that even 'I am Brahman' mediation or sadhana is not the direct one.

Sri Bhagwan: "This body I am not; That Brahman AM I", no doubt is helpful as an auxiliary tool to that direct path, but can that , by itself, be the direct means, namely the quest of the Self?"

No, obviously, no, because for the mind contemplating 'I am That', it will be difficult to annihilate itself, which is the aim of the Vichara or this Great Quest (because such contemplation may give a fresh lease of life to the mind and thus may underwrite its longevity) , whereas in the quest of its own reality, it will surely perish and go out of existence. And obstruction removed, one abides as That or Brahman, for the Self ever abides as That.

Therefore, if aim is to win the egoless, Natural State, or the Sahaja Sthiti, what is needed most, in my view, is the love for the Self, and strong conviction. Remember, the sheer force of strong determination or the resolve to find, with certainty, the place from whence 'I' arises constitutes the very life of the Atma-vichara, which finally culminates in Realization.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil       
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 08:14:22 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: February 14, 2016, 12:11:36 PM »
Sri Sadhu Om:
No one need fear the death of the body. After all, we all know from experience that we can leave this body and take another one, as we do every day in dream. Indeed we are great sidhas, because in dreams we take so many different bodies, SINCE  THE  MIND  CAN  FUNCTION  ONLY  WHEN  IT  EXPEREINCES  ITSELF  AS  A  BODY.  Many ordinary people are ready to give up their bodies for the sake of their family, country or language, because we all tend to identify ourselves with something more than whatever body we now experience as ourself. Real death is the death of our ego, but intense fear of such death only comes to mature souls, as happened in the case of Bhagwan.
Mountain Path

Dear Devotees,

This is true whether we accept it or not. We see death happening all around us, but still we have the feeling of immortality. How is that? Because this is true, we are indeed immortal.  Indeed,  we all tend to identify ourselves with something more than whatever body we now experience as ourself, that is, 'I am the body' consciousness notwithstanding.  Otherwise, we would not have been willing to sacrifice our all, including the highest sacrifice  of giving up our mundane lives for the Great Causes.  This is because we all unconsciously know with certainty that we are something more than this body-mind complex.   

Dear devotees, we may do well to remember the Teaching that everything thing is dear due to love for the Self only.  Indeed, the sense of immortality within everyone of is due to the Self, and we do not really give up our all, and go on to make highest sacrifices, etc., for the family, country, etc., but  due to love for the Self alone.  This is how I understood Sri Om's words above.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 12:14:38 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: February 15, 2016, 06:07:27 AM »
Dear devotees, I wish to post a few passages from a beautiful Article titled 'A Divine Hospital of Medication through Meditation', authored by Sri Shilpi Vitupaksh Davanagere, published in the current Mountain Path:

There is a saying, 'The presence and divinity of a sharana is best experienced and witnessed after death.' Guru Ramana left His mortal body in 1950 and His Presence is even more alive and more intensely fely now. He who did not care for food, clothing, and shelter. Hw who just wore a loin cloth, begged alms and burnt Himself in the scorching sun without awareness of the external body, now so affectionately and caringly provides us with cool rooms and delicious food,  AND  ENVELOPS  US  WITH  THE  BLANKET  OF  SELF-KNOWLEDGE.  Guru Ramana is the supreme example of a real Guru. We truly forget the presence of the overcrowded, ego-driven, ignorant and messed-up world outside us.  It is a wonderful surprise that such a secluded place exists on this earth, that can enlighten and elevate us above all vasanas. Ramanasramam is not an abode for worldly people. One must have practiced intense penance in previous lives in order to step into such an ashram and have spiritual experiences. 
Ramanasramam is the ultimate destination for a true seeker of the Self. I see the devotees in the ashram, and I can in no way think that they are ordinary people. I feel the presence of great rishis, sidhas, and jnanis among them. The devotees who have come from far off lands in search of such a destination , dedicating their lives at His Feet, truly belong to this place.
(to continue in the next post)

Pranam,
   Anil
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 06:15:05 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: February 15, 2016, 05:29:41 PM »
Continuing from my previous post:

Though Sri Ramana Maharshi is not in His mortal body, He still is regarded as the monarch of the place and the ashram is run as per His wish and guidance. People from various corners of the world, who are His devotees and true seekers of knowledge come here to stay and have His darshan. They relish the love and grace of the Master and  experience the joy and bliss found nowhere else. Devotees stay in the ashram for three to four days and return to their homes. Some are fortunate enough to stay there permanently. Parayana, Narayan seva, meditation, prasadam for devotees, circumambulating the Hill and the Guru's Samadhi are some of the regular routines in Ramanasramam; and Bhagwan's Presence is experienced in all these activities. His Presence is also seen in the acts and deeds of all who  serve in the ashram--the cooks, labourers, asramites running the library and the management  personnel. It is His discipline, philosophy, simplicity and perfection in every act that is reflected in everyone, and it assures us of His continuing Presence. Silence speaks more than words, and there resides a deep calm and peace everywhere.
Sri Ramana Maharshi has become the breath of our life, and without Him we cannot exist. He is our philosophical Deity. Meditation occurs spontaneously in the vicinity of His Samadhi. A serene feeling always exists within the premises of the ashram.  He condenses all thoughts, liquidates them and silences the mind.  HE  BECOMES  THE  DISCOVERER   OF  THE  'I'  IN  US.

Dear Devotees,

All I wish to say regarding above is that I cannot agree more with the author.  Whenever I visit Sri Ramanasramam I have almost similar experiences.  One  can understand  and experience in Sri Ramanasramam what  Sri Bhagwan meant when He taught that Silence is eloquence, the perennial speech,  spoken words obstruct it.  Most of my doubts, confusion  and inner resistance were cleared in Sri Ramanasramam,  and not by discussion, and certainly not by reading, but by sitting silently at His Lotus Feet  in Samadhi Hall and the old Hall, which alone has been true Satsanga  for me all these years.  Sri Ramanasramam, to me, is like an infinitely powerful magnet , which is always drawing me to Itself.  Sri Ramanasramam indeed helps us to discover the real 'I' in us.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 05:44:15 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: February 16, 2016, 10:05:16 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Sri Michael James, in a wonderful  Article, titled 'Demystifying the Term 'Sphurna'", published in the Current Mountain Path, has brilliantly explained that  'I' does not shine in the same way as a physical  light shines.  In this context shining is not used literally but metaphorically. He beautifully explains that 'shining' in a metaphorical sense means not only 'being experienced' in general, but more specifically 'being clearly experienced'.  Thus, the more clearly a thing is experienced, the more brightly it may be said to be shining.

Dear devotees, Sri James explained the term 'shining', as above, only to demystify and explain the term 'Aham-sphurana',  which if well understood, is certainly a great help for the followers of Sri Bhagwan's Teaching in general and  Atma-vichara in particular.

Sri James: "Since what is always more clearly experienced than any other thing is only 'I', it may be said to be the most brightly shining of all things, but so long as its shining is mixed with the shining of any other things (all of which are illuminated only by the light of 'I', which is a metaphorical way of saying that they are all experienced only by the conscious thing called 'I'), it is not shining sufficiently clearly.  In order to shine with complete clarity, 'I' must shine alone--that is, it must be experienced on its own,  in the absence of all other things. When It shines alone, in complete isolation from all other things, it shines clearly,  AND  THIS  CLEAR  SHINING  OF  'I'  ALONE  IS  WHAT  BHAGWAN  SOMETIMES  DESCRIBED  AS  AHAM-SPHURANA."

Dear devotees, I love such beautiful explanation of Sri Bhagwan's  Teaching. I am in complete agreement with what Sri James says, regarding 'shining  and Aham-sphurana'. It is well-known to His devotees that the context in which Sri Bhagwan used the term 'Aham-sphurana' is the clarity of Self-awareness, that is, the clear and unobstructed shining of 'I', or the Atma-swarupa. Or Oneself.
Dear devotees, Sri James has explained that just as the shining of a light is not other than the light itself, so also this clear and unobstructed shining of 'I' or the Self is not other than the 'I' or the Self Itself. Sri Bhawan has taught in the verse 20 of the Upadesa Saram that after the ego is done away with through Vichara, oneself shines as 'I  AM  I'. This is why Sri Bhagwan laid utmost emphasis on Atma-vichara and Self-attention to make us realize who really we are.   Hence Sri Bhagwan's utmost emphasis on Ama-vichara or the Self-attention!!  How else oneself would shine forth as "I  AM  I"?

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil         
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 10:11:24 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: February 16, 2016, 05:04:31 PM »
Sri Sadhu Om:
In His answer to question two of chapter two of Upadesa Manjari Bhagwan said that practicing this path of vicara is possible only for pakvis (those who is spiritually ripe and mature), and that others should practice sadhanas that are suited to their own particular state of mind. In this context we should take pakvis to mean anyone who wants to give
up their ego or separate individuality. The sadhanas that He says others should practice are not means to attain manonasa (annihilation of the mind or ego) but only to attain other aims, such as citta-sudhi (purification of mind) divine visions, heavenly experiences, worldly enjoyments or whatever else they may desire.  Atma-vicara is only for those who want to close the chapter, being tired of repeatedly projecting pictures of ego, world and God. If one is not attracted to atma-vicara, one obviously does not want to close the chapter, so one should follow whichever other path appeals to one. In Sadhanai Saram I make it clear that ATMA-VICARA  IS  ONLY  FOR  THOSE  WHO  WISH  TO  LOSE  THEIR  EGOS,  and that only such people should read it.
Mountain Path

Dear devotees, I have also said on several occasions in this thread that if, really, realization of the Atma-swarupa is the AIM,  Sri Bhagwan's Vichara is the unfailing method, for twin swords of Vichara are invincible and infallible, if pursued earnestly with love  and perseverance.  If one wishes to retain one's ego and yet enjoy the Beatitude and Bliss of the Swarupa,, then perhaps it is a different matter!!!!?
Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 05:31:19 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: February 17, 2016, 06:58:39 AM »
Q: What are the first steps to spiritual practice?
Sri Bhagwan: In the beginning, one has to be told that he is not the body, because he thinks he is the body only, whereas he is the body and all else. The body is only a part. Let him know it firmly.  He must first discern chit (consciousness) from jada (inert) and be the chit only. He must discern the sentient from the insentient. Later let him realize that jada is none else than chit. This is discrimination. The initial viveka must persist to the end. Its fructification is moksha (liberation). 
Talk--192

Dear Devotees,

Sifting Chit (consciousness) from the jada (inert), or Sentience from insentience, or Reality from unreality,  or Self from the non-Self, or Existence from non-Existence, in my view, is the most scientific, in pursuit to realize the Atma-swarupa.

However, what Sri Bhagwan's Vichara seeks to do is to shift the very attention of the seekers on to the reality from the very beginning, which, later on, fructifies in realization of the Self or the Swarupa.   This is because oneself forever abides as That, but apparently, is in possession of the ghost or spirit called ego.  Is it that difficult then to infer that Self-attention is the antidote, the natural cure?  This is why the real Grace of the Guru is the grant of an experience of existence-consciousness, albeit momentarily, to attain that state of being by way of diligent, unwavering, graced and increasingly effortless  Self-attention!! 

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 07:03:45 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: February 17, 2016, 12:23:20 PM »
Sri Bhagwan:
I shall truly proclaim the quintessence of the upadesa that is conclusively arrived at by Vedanta in all its entirety. With the death of ego in the Natural State of Being the Self and in experiencing the unity of Brahman and the Self, the Self alone--the very form of Awareness --remains as the Sole survivor.
V. 40, Reality In ort Verses--Supplement

Dear devotees, the great, old devotee, Sri K. Lakshmana Sarma (Who), commenting on the above Verse, has written thus:
The state of Non-duality--the Experience of being the Self-is attained by being solely centered on Atma-vicara, through association with the enlightened sages, devotion and discrimination, and sinking into the Heart by the steady practice of Atma-vicara leading to extirpation of the ego.
Sri Sarma writes further that this is the quintessence of the contents of the Upanishad, Ulladu Narpadu.

Dear devotees, indeed, the Ulladu Narpadu is the Scripture of the Atma-vichara.

Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 12:25:26 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: February 18, 2016, 08:41:42 AM »
Arunachala! Though I am lower than a cur by nature. Yet by the sheer strength of my stern resolution to seek and find Thee--my source--I shall somehow reach Thee definitely by retracing my steps the way I came.
V. 39,  Sri Arunachala Akshar Mana Malai

Dear  devotees, Sri Sadhu Natanananda, while commenting on the above Verse, has written thus:
"By the sheer power of enquiry of the Self (Who am I?) by singling out the FIRST  THOUGHT  'I' that springs from Thee and taking it as my guide,  by degrees I shall reach Thy Feet of Grace, the place of my birth. "

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:44:59 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4614 on: February 19, 2016, 05:19:53 PM »
Sri V. Ganesan:
"Guru" or "Master" is not a status, position, like the President or Prime Minister of a country. It is not even a state. It is the Truth itself. Guru is the Self, the Truth. That is, one's own Self is the real Guru. When one goes to an outer Guru, the only teaching he will give is to awaken the "inner Guru" in one's heart. The "Guru" being Truth, for him, there exist no untruth! For the Sun there is no darkness, Poets, the onlookers, might say that when the Sun rises it drives away its enemy, the darkness. But, truly, for the  Sun there exists no darkness. Darkness is an unknown factor for the sun! Likewise, the Guru being wholly the Truth, and nothing but the Truth, how can untruth, the ignorance, the darkness, exists in his presence? THE  "GURU  WITHOUT",  INVOKES  THE  "GURU  WITHIN".
Therefore, for the "Guru within" too, there exists no ignorance at all! Arduously following his teaching , in one's daily life, enables one experientially to realize that there is no ignorance at all, no darkness at all! Whatever exists, exists only as Fullness. And one is never away from this Wholeness! Only one has to wake up to this Truth!   

Dear Devotees,

Sri Ganesan has said in the book 'Direct Teaching of Bhagwan Ramana'  that the 'teacher' is the 'teaching'.  One can understand the verity of this truth through direct experience..  Even in the beginning, when I started practicing Atma-vichara, lo! I always deeply felt His Presence  as if He is around.  Indeed! When one practices the Teaching of a spiritual Guru, one is literally in the Presence of the Guru (Guru-tattva), and  certainly  this conviction enables the apparently impossible hurdle  to become  the easiest aid!  Arduously following  teaching therefore then is same as invoking his presence, as Sri Ganesan has said.  Such a one lives divinity, thinks divinity, drinks divinity (this is to say that from here on divinity is central in all things in life), and such a one, in my view, alone weeps for the Divine and sheds copious tears of love for the Guru or the Guru-tattva!

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 05:34:03 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4615 on: February 28, 2016, 08:13:27 AM »
A young man asked: Are thoughts mere matter?
Sri Bhagwan: What do you mean? Do you mean 'matter' like the things you see around you?
D: Yes--gross.
Sri Bhagwan: Who asks this question? Who is the thinker?
D: The thinker is spirit.
Sri Bhagwan: Do you then mean that spirit generates matter?
D: I want to know.
Sri Bhagwan: How do you distinguish between matter and spirit?
D: Spirit is consciousness and the other not.
Sri Bhagwan: Can consciousness generate non-consciousness, or light darkness?
Talk--613

Dear Devotees,

This is, in my view, a very important conversation, particularly for all those who practice Sri Bhagwan's Vichara, for it drives home that consciousness alone is real. Consciousness cannot generate non-consciousness, or light darkness. Therefore, it follows that thoughts are mere appearances.  It is a different matter that form the stand-point of highest reality consciousness and non-consciousness are verily 'I', the Self or the Swarupa (Sat and asat are verily He-Gita).

However, dear devotees, I invite you to share your understanding as to what do you think a thought is, in the first place.  I am laying some emphasis here because, in my view, if we understand 'thought' for what it really is, it helps a great deal in contacting the consciousness and remaining as consciousness for some time to start with when one takes up straight, royal path to ascertain the real Swarupa. If one understands that there is no water in mirage, such a one will certainly not go after it, and will therefore seek the real source of water where it is readily available instead. Likewise, if one understands that there is no happiness outside, he gravitates within, seeking the real source of happiness that is one's ever own!!

Clue for the above also lies in the Teaching that there will not be realization of the Self so long as one regards the thoughts, objects and world as real. 

Therefore, in my view, one should continue to mediate on the above conversation at least till one is fully convinced, with the blossoming of the intuition.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil     
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 08:18:24 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4616 on: February 28, 2016, 10:35:37 AM »
I declare that even when the mind, in the form of thoughts, ceases to function, something remains. That something is the reality. Manifesting, as time, it operates in a hidden way abiding always as the temple of consciousness-bliss.
V. 924, GVK

Dear Sri Ravi bhai saheb, the above verse was translated in two ways, as given in GVK, edited by Sri David Godman.  I found myself accepting intuitively the alternative one.  Will you be kind enough to give your own translation of the above Verse, if you find time for the same?   

However, I wish to say how graciously and compassionately Sri Bhagwan has taught  and thus demystified  this mystery to help the sadhakas to separate the being from the thoughts and thus be able to discern and grasp the being as apart from the  ego-sense 'I am so and so', which after all is only a thought and therefore a mere appearance on the substratum of being-consciousness !!! 

Sri Bhagwan:  The existence of their own Self is inferred by some from their mental functioning, by the reasoning 'I think therefore I am'. These men are like those dull-witted ones who ignore the elephant when it goes past and become convinced afterwards by looking at the footprints.

Oh!!! How wonderful !!!

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 10:38:35 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: February 28, 2016, 04:20:00 PM »
Sri Bhagwan: Know that for the meager witted men of the world, wife, children and others constitute just a single small family but for men of vast learning there is not one but many families of books within their hearts which are great hindrances to Yoga.
V. 34, Reality in Forty Verses, Supplement

Sri K. Lakshmana Sarma's Commentary:

"Thoughts alone, the progeny of the ego, invading and occupying the mind, constitute the samsara. For the men of the world, in general, such thoughts are relatively less, centering on the single and small world of wife, children, relatives and others. But in the hearts of men of vast learning, with knowledge amassed from various Texts and Treatises, each Text that they have read comprising various matters constitutes and exists as a family. Such innumerable numbers of families pose insurmountable barriers barring the door to Vichara Yoga of 'Who am I?'. Even if the knowledge pertains to the contents of Vedantic Texts or Scriptural or Sastraic Lore, it too is still an obstacle, all the same."

Dear devotees, Sri Sadhu Om has said a great deal on this subject of amassing knowledge from various Texts and Treatises, be it Vedantic or Sastraic.  I fully agree with him.  It they pose insurmountable barriers and bar the door to Vichara Maha Yoga of 'Who am I?', where, ultimately, one has to arrive, for what purpose at all one should continue to add and proliferate families  and cater to them?  Certainly, it is for vaunting punditry! Is it not?
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 06:39:14 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4618 on: February 28, 2016, 06:02:31 PM »
Sri Bhagwan:
Worship of consciousness is getting firmly established in consciousness, with the mind disconnecting itself from other things. 
The state in which consciousness does not desire the non-Self is worship of the Self without being separate from it.
Other than consciousness, the pure clarity in which excellence flourishes, there is no God who is worthy of being worshipped.
Padamalai 

Q: Who am I?
Sri Bhagwan: Consciousness alone is 'I'.
Q: What is the nature of this knowledge?
Sri Bhagwan: The nature of this consciousness is sat-chit-ananda.
Who Am I?, Essay Version 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 06:38:00 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4619 on: February 29, 2016, 10:27:50 AM »
What is the relation between desirelessness and wisdom?

Desirelessness is wisdom. The two are not different; they are the same. Desirelessness is refraining from turning the mind towards any object. Wisdom means the appearance of no object. In other words, not seeking what is other than the Self is detachment or desirelessness; not leaving the Self  is wisdom.

Who Am I ?

Dear devotees, desirelessness and wisdom are obtained spontaneously when one remains still or quiet. But Sri Bhagwan has taught that remaining quiet or still is to resolve the mind into the Self, which culminates in the realization of the Atma-swarupa. Therefore, a sadhka's work is to resolve the mind in the Self through Enquiry and Complete Surrender.  If we do this much, that means Guru's Grace is in operation, and rest is His Work alone! 
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 10:30:11 AM by eranilkumarsinha »