Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 755949 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #4515 on: December 28, 2015, 03:14:10 PM »
D: Of what use is the fear of death which is common to all?
Sri Bhagwan: True, it is common to all. Such fear serves no useful purpose because being overpowered by the latent tendencies of the mind the man dies a natural death. It does not lead him to non-attachment and he cannot investigate the matter.
D: How then are you giving the same instruction without distinction to visitors?
Sri Bhagwan: What do I say?  THE  EGO  IN  EACH  ONE  MUST  DIE. Let him reflect on it. Is there this ego or is there not? BY  REPEATED  REFLECTION  ONE  BECOMES  MORE  AND  MORE  FIT.
Talk--572

Dear devotees, it follows that one need not be disheartened with the initial, apparent lack of success.  I employed the word ?apparent? here because the sadhaka himself hardly can gauge the progress made. The Guru alone knows.  Practice, more practice is the basic mantra in any spiritual sadhana.  This applies to Self-enquiry also.  Steady practice of the path of the Self-enquiry makes one more fit for it, and one is gradually able to push the enquiry deeper till it is effortless, until the Self is realized.
Pranam,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4516 on: December 28, 2015, 03:49:20 PM »
Sri A. R. Natarajan:

Bhagwan Ramana is always at hand as the Guru, taking the disciple's responsibility and leading them on to the wonderland of silence, with firm and timely guidance. Whatever be the reason as to how and why He enters one's life, once He does, all search ends. His Grace envelops and fills every pore of one's being with bliss. The individual, the disciple, is lost in the vastness called Sri Ramana. The mind gets vibrantly silent immersed steadily in the Self.
Source: Centenary Souvenir

How true!!!!!! 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 03:53:00 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4517 on: December 29, 2015, 05:05:33 PM »
Sri K. Swaminathan:

This finding the source and holding on to it is the beginning, end and purpose of self-enquiry. The precise method is simple and well known. When thoughts arise, one does not allow them to develop. One asks oneself the words, "To whom do these thoughts occur?" And the answer is "To me", and then the question occurs, "Then who am I? What is this thing in me which I keep calling 'I'" By doing this practice one is shifting attention from the world of thoughts to the being from where the thought and the thinker first emerged. The transfer of attention is simply executed, because if one holds on to the feeling 'I am' the initial thought of 'I' will gradually give way to a feeling of 'I', and then sooner or later, this feeling 'I am' will merge into being itself, to a state where there is no longer either a thinker of the thought 'I', or a feeler of the feeling 'I am', there will only be being itself. This is the stage where attention to the feeling  of 'I am' has merged with the being from which it came, so that there is no longer the dualistic distinction of a person giving attention to the feeling 'I am'. There is only being and awareness of being.
Source: Mountain Path

Dear Devotees,

This state of being is still a stage of sadhana because it lacks permanence, and mind can still reassert and create trouble. However, Sri Bhagwan has taught that this is the final stage of sadhana, and is said to be deepest level of both surrender and self-enquiry. If one has reached this effortless awareness of being, all one has to do is to is to maintain this effortless awareness of being, for it is only in this state that the Self obliterates the residual predispositions, which finally culminates in Self-realization. 

Dear devotees, Sri Swaminathan has himself summed it up wonderfully.
Sri Swaminathan: When Sri Ramana said on one occasion, "Do not meditate, Be, do not think that you are, Be", He was summarizing the whole of His practical teachings, because for Sri Ramana, it is only in this state of effortless awareness of being that the final Realization will be revealed. 

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan has summarized the whole of His practical Teaching when He taught that our duty is to be, and not to be this or that.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil           
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 05:10:23 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4518 on: December 29, 2015, 05:52:03 PM »
See love. Hear love. Reach out
And touch love. Eat love, sweet love.
Smell love, for love is but
The Self?s awareness itself.

V. 655, Garland of Guru's Saying.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4519 on: December 30, 2015, 06:28:20 AM »
Sri Bhagwan: Unless intellectually known, how to practice it? Learn it intellectually first, then do not stop with that. Practice it. (Talk?40)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4520 on: December 30, 2015, 06:47:17 AM »
The most valuable thing in the ocean lies on its floor. The pearl is so small a thing, yetso valuable and so difficult to procure. Similarly, the Self is like the pearl: to find it you must dive deep down into the silence, deeper and ever deeper, until it is reached.
Source: Conscious Immortality

Dear  Devotees,

That's it! 'DIVE  DEEP  DOWN  INTO  THE  SILENCE', deeper and ever deeper, until It is reached! Silence is 'I', Silence is the Self. There is no such thing as failure here, for treasure of the Self, without doubt whatsoever, lies deep within the Heart, which is the heart of everything there is. Therefore, indeed, if we dive deep into the Heart with the help of weighty stone of Vairagya or dispassion, we certainly attain the pearl of the Self, just as a pearl diver, tying a stone to his waist ,dives deep into the ocean and takes in his  possession the precious pearl, lying at the bottom.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil       
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 06:50:04 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4521 on: December 30, 2015, 07:19:13 AM »
Dear Devotees,

We now have grasped as to who really is the thinker, and that thoughts , which are the manifestation of vasanas or  predispositions, are insentient energy.  But what is thinking? How does it occur?  I have felt that if a sadhaka understands what is thinking and how does it occur, he is better prepared to tackle a distracting thought as and when it appears or rises. Hence my question: what exactly is thinking? How does it occur? I shall be happy if anyone of you kindly respond to this important question.

Pranam,
  Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4522 on: December 30, 2015, 08:44:04 AM »
Sri Bhagwan:

If one wants to abide in the thought-free state, a struggle is inevitable. One must fight one's way through before regaining one's original primal state. If one succeeds in the fight and reaches goal, the enemy, namely the thoughts, will all subside in the Self and disappear entirely. The thoughts are the enemy. They amount to the creation of the Universe. In their absence there is neither the world nor God the Creator.  The bliss of the Self is the single Being only.
Talk--326 

Dear devotees, this is the direct path, and therefore, this is the shortest-cut route to the Goal.  However, as far a shadhka is concerned, he must be prepared to go through the grind, fight  his way through, and seek to regain his  original primal state.  One must not forget that this is the purpose and goal for which one is born. However, whatever the nature of sadhana, a struggle is inevitable.
Pranam,
  Anil     
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 08:45:49 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4523 on: December 30, 2015, 12:01:43 PM »
Sri Bhagwan:

The Heart is therefore centre. A person can never be away from it. If he is he is already dead. Although the Upanishads say that the jiva functions through other centres on different occasions, yet he does not relinquish the Heart. The centres are simply places of business. The Self is bound to the Heart, like a cow tethered to a peg. The movements are controlled by the length of the rope. All its wanderings centre around the peg.

Dear devotees, I feel that if we remain as mere witness, in the pure state of being, we can easily discern the 'length of the rope', and also as to how the ego and all its movements and wanderings are controlled by the length of the rope.  If we are able to understand this through Enquiry or Surrender, we also understand and grasp that we are not the doers! That everything is preordained, and a leaf does not move without His Will! Therefore, nothing is free, neither the sky nor anything under the sky. 
Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 12:03:38 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4524 on: December 30, 2015, 04:45:40 PM »
Sri Bhagwan: Leaving out what is intimate and immediate, why should one seek the rest? The scriptures say 'That Thou art'. In this statement 'Thou' is directly experienced; but leaving it out they go on seeking 'That'.

D: In order to find the oneness of 'That' and of 'Thou'.

Sri Bhagwan: 'Thou'  is the Inner Self immanent in all; in order to find the same, he leaves himself out and sees the world objectively. What is the world? What is immanent in it? It is 'That'. All such ideas arise only on forgetting one's own Self. I never bothered myself with such matters.  Only after a time it occurred to me that men had investigated such matters.

Talk--639

Dear devotees, we are accustomed to see only objectively from time immemorial.  Are we not? Now, when we are taught to be, remaining subjectively aware, it appears difficult. 'Thou' is identical with 'That', and is the Inner Self.  ALL  ONE  HAS  TO  DO   THEREFORE  IS  NOT  TO  LEAVE  ONESELF   OUT  AND FORGET ONE'S  SELF, WHICH ,  IN  TRUTH,   ALONE  IS  INTIMATE  AND  IMMEDIATE. Nothing whatsoever can be as intimate and immediate, for It is 'I' or  Swayam or the Self or the Swarupa!.   Can anything ever be as intimate and immediate?  By terming this as difficult or impossible, ego only tries to escape the laser-like searchlight of the Enquiry, and therefore  obviously these are ego's pretension to prolong its wretched , reflected  life.   
Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 04:49:06 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4525 on: December 31, 2015, 07:56:38 AM »
D: Convince me of the existence of God.
Sri Bhagwan: Realization of the Self amounts to such conviction.
D: How is prarabdha (past karma) related to purushakara (one's own effort here)?
Sri Bhagwan: Prarabdha is karma(action). There must be a karta (doer) for it. See who the karta is. Purushakara is effort. See who exerts. There is identity established. The one who seeks to know their relation is himself the link.
D: What is karma and rebirth?
Sri Bhagwan: See the karta (doer) and then the karma becomes obvious. If you are born now, rebirth may follow. See if you are born now.
D: Help me to have jyotidarsana (vision of sight).
Sri Bhagwan: Darsana (sight) implies drashta (seer). Find him and darsana (sight) is included in him).

Talk--295

Dear Devotees,

Realization of the Self amounts to the realization of God. But we take the body-mind complex as the self and are hardly interested in finding the Real Self.  One is interested in finding the relationship between prarabdha and purushakara, while all the time remaining quite oblivious of the truth that who else but one oneself is the link. Terms, such as, karma, rebirth, darsana, etc., intrigue us, but for whom all these terms are valid?
We can discern from the quoted conversation above that Sri Bhgawan is not interested at all in these, and turns the attention of the questioner every time he raises a question, on these, on the subject:
The one who seeks to know the relation is himself the link.
See who the karta is, and the action becomes obvious.
See if you are born. Who is born?
Find the drashta (seer) and the darsana (sight) is included in him.

Dear devotees, this is the greatness of the teaching. In Sri Bhagwan's Teaching, in my view, all enquiry, meditation, sadhana, etc., is only to find the one who enquires, meditates, or does sadhana and makes effort, and thus to apprehend the false phantom-like ego which poses as the subject. Its successful apprehension is its disappearance, since it is mere appearance and therefore unreal. In this great Teaching, all effort is only to find out the one who makes effort, in the first place.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil             
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 08:00:32 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: December 31, 2015, 09:33:58 AM »
Sri Bhagwan: The Self obviously safeguards the vasanas in its closest proximity, i.e. , within itself in the Heart, just as a miser keeps his most valued possessions (treasure) with himself and never out of contact. Hence the place where the vasanas are , is the Self, i.e. the Heart, and not the brain.

Dear Devotees,

So, however much importance we may attach to the brain, fact is brain is only the theatre for the play of the vasanas issuing forth from the greenhouse of the Heart. We will do well if we remember that Sri Bhagwan has unequivocally taught that the vasanas must be with one's Self and they can never remain away from the Self.  So, it follows that it cannot be that the vasanas are contained in the brain while at the same time the Seat of the Self is the Heart. If it were so, a person who is decapitated must be rid of vasanas and such a one should not be reborn. But it is absurd. Is it not? What about the Self in the brain with all the vasnans? It cannot be so either, for why should the head bend down when one falls asleep? Besides, a man does not touch his head and say 'I'.  Sri Bhagwan has taught that man intutively know where from the sense of 'I' is arrising. From this discussion, one can conclude with conviction that the Self is in the Heart and the vasanas are also there in an exceedingly subtle form.

WHAT  IS  THINKING ?

Sri Bhagwan: When the vasanas are projected from the Heart they are associated with the Light of the Self AND  THE  PERSON  IS  SAID  TO  THINK.  The vasanas which lie embedded in an atomic condition grow in size in their passage from the heart to the brain.  The brain is the screen on which the images of the vasanas are thrown and it is also the place of their functional distribution. The brain is the seat of the mind, and the mind works through it. 

Dear devotees, thus Sri Bhagwan has taught that when a vasana is released from the Heart and it comes into play, it is associated with the Light of the Self . During its passage from the Heart to the brain, associated with the Light of the Self, it grows more and more until it holds the field all alone while all other vasanas are thus kept in abeyance for the time being.  When the thought is reflected in the brain it appears as an image on a screen. The person is then said to be the thinker with a clear perception of things, while the Self is clouded. However, in my view, if more than a single vasanas hold the field, thinking is blurred and one does not have quite clear perception of things.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 09:39:10 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: December 31, 2015, 10:09:46 AM »
Sri V. Ganesan: In Bhagwan Sri Ramana the external and internal Guru are one. If seeing the Self is seeing God, seeing Sri Ramana is to be the Self. So instant is the transmission!

Dear Devotees,

I remember Sri Bhagwan having once assured to an European devotee, who was riled at the thought of going away from Him, that he should think of Him and he would feel right.  I wish to beseech devotees here that if we are following Sri Bhagwan's Teaching earnestly and sincerely, we must fall in love, we must invoke His Presence, and get connected to Him in a Guru-shishya (disciple) relationship.  If love, earnestness and sincerity are there, I am cent percent certain that His Grace would never fail. I am sure that His Grace would ever be available, in the beginning, in the middle as well as in the end. 
Dear devotees, I have experienced His Grace even in worldly trials and tribulations. When His devotees find it difficult to cope the worldly problems, He is always at hand,  providing  Succour and Support.  Such is His solicitude for His devotees!

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 10:12:13 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: December 31, 2015, 02:00:04 PM »
Sri Bhagwan:
Who is the worker? Let him who works ask the question. You are always the Self. You are not the mind. It is the mind which raises these questions. Work proceeds, always in the presence of the Self only. Work is no hindrance to realization. It is the mistaken identity of the worker that troubles one. Get rid of the false identity.

Dear Devotees,

So, it is a question of only mistaken identity! If we have come to know this, due to His Grace, may be at this stage it is only intellectual, should we not do what we may to discover our real identity? We are the Self and therefore we exist always. About real ourselves, the Self, nothing more whatever can ever be predicated. Sri Bhagwan has taught that nothing more can be predicated about the Self than that it exists. What at all is it which raises the questions? I live without these questions and the mind which raise them, as in sleep. Who is it, what is it, which identifies with the body-mind and say I am so and so? If we enquire thus, we find that it is only the non-existent non-Self. 
 Therefore, seeing God or the Self is being ourselves and vice-versa, that is, being ourselves is alone seeing God or being the Self. So, yes, indeed! It is not realizing ourselves or the Swarupa. We are the Swarupa. Where is the question of realizing the Swarupa who is ever realized, never non-realized? It is only a matter of stopping realizing the non-existent non-Selves as real. This is why Sri Bhagwan has said that at one stage one would laugh at oneself that one tried to discover the Self or the Swarupa which is so self-evident. That stage is present, here and now, for we are always the Self and we exist always !

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 02:03:13 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: December 31, 2015, 03:53:48 PM »
Once again, referring to the philosopher Sri Descartes and his famous statement "cogito ergo sum", in the hope that we may at long last be able to separate the 'being' from 'thoughts', or to sift Reality from the unreality:

Sri Descartes famously concluded in his "I  THINK  THEREFORE  I  EXIST" statement that THOUGHT  WAS  THEREFORE  PROOF  OF  BEING. Sri Bhagwan is said to have ridiculed this assertion thus.

Sri Bhagwan as recorded by Sri Lakshmana Sarma:

"The existence of their own Self is inferred by some from mental functioning, by the reasoning 'I think therefore I am'. These men are like those dull-witted ones who ignore the elephant when it goes past and become convinced afterwards by looking at the footprints."
V. 166, Sri Ramanaparavidyopanishad

Dear devotees, source of thought is being. Therefore, thought cannot precede being. One is before he is able to think a thought. Hence the correct form of the statement, in my view, should be "I am before I think".
Pranam,
  Anil   

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 03:57:03 PM by eranilkumarsinha »