Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 757590 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #4500 on: December 20, 2015, 12:53:04 PM »
Sri Muruganar: When the ice of the ego-consciousness that is limited to the form of the body dissolves in the ocean of Guru-consciousness that is the experience of the Self which exists and shines as the one savour of love, know that this is Guru-puja.

Dear devotees, Sri Muruganar's compositions ,  are, in my view, the closest and most intuitive explanation of Sri Bhagwan's Teaching ever to this day.  Sri Bhagwan's Teaching is subtle and profound, and equally subtle and profound is Sri Muruganar's explanation of the radical Teaching.  For instance, Sri Bhagwan has taught that when the ego-'I'  disappears, the Supreme Self alone remains, or what remains is the Swarupa.  It means, as Sri Muruganar sang, that the state in which the jiva-bodha (individual consciousness) is gone is Siva-bodha (consciousness of Siva). Following the same line of reasoning, the Poet  exults that the state in which the 'disciple-consciousness' is gone is said to be 'Guru-consciousness'.  Guru-consciousness is the Self-Consciousness.

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 12:56:13 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4501 on: December 26, 2015, 04:45:30 PM »
What is the use of knowing everything
Except the Self? What else is there to know?
For anyone when Self, Itself, is known?
On realising in oneself the Self,
Which is the only self-effulgent One
In myriad of selves, the Light of Self
Will clearly shine within. This is indeed
The true display of Grace, the ego's death,
And the unfolding of the Bliss Supreme.
Sri Bhagwan (Source: Centenary Souvenir)     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4502 on: December 26, 2015, 04:48:31 PM »
I  AM  THA  I  AM
METHOD:  BE  STILL  AND  KNOW  THAT  I  AM  GOD.

Dear Devotees,

Sri Jesus Christ, that great son of a carpenter of Nazareth in Israel revealed:
"I and my father are one", and "I am the Truth", and He was crucified, mind it, not by nonbelievers, but verily by religious people.

A few centuries earlier, that great Athenian sculptor, known as Sri Socrates, who taught the Athenians "GNOTHI  SEAUTON  OR  KNOW  THYSELF", and had been forced to drink a deadly cup of hemlock, for this was a heinous crime in the eyes of those who thus prosecuted him.

Similarly, in the 9th century A. D., Sri Maulana Mansur al-Hallaj of Arab was imprisoned and sent to the gallows for saying "ANA?L  HAQQ  OR  I  AM  GOD", again not by nonbelievers but by religious people. 

Dear devotees, of course, what great Sages like Sri Christ, Sri Socrates and Sri Maulana Mansur said and taught was pure truth, and nothing but truth. In India, where the Sages, appearing in different times, taught the same.  Upanishadic Mahavakyas  like "Tat tvam Asi, Aham Brahmasmi", etc., were given to men thousands of years ago. Were they not? Even Bhagwan Sri Ramana, who famously taught:  what kind of knowledge is the knowledge of diverse things when the Self, the only true Knowledge, remained unknown, and therefore, almost always said, "KNOW  THYSELF  FIRST."  However, here even in India, in my view, majority of people and even religious ones do not believe that the individual Soul is God Himself. Sri V. Ganesan has observed thus:

Sri V. Ganesan: "Why do men live in oblivion of their divine identity? Why do they gape in disbelief when told "I  AM  GOD", "YOU   ARE  GOD",  "WE  ARE  GOD"? Or when told that the world is an illusion and the Self is Real?"

So, many people, and even spiritual persons doing sadhana, believe that God is not within, but out there in the heaven or in some higher regions! If only they would have enquired, lost their individuality and found the everlasting, limitless bliss within them themselves! If only they would have turned inward, enquired and found out that indeed they were the Self, or the Existence-Consciousness! Sri Bahgwan has taught that Pure Consciousness is limitless, eternal, all pervasive, non-dual and is perfect Bliss and Peace, and that there is no God other than It. This is why Sri Bhagwan constantly exhorted His devotees to realize the Self (You have been told, why don't you realize It?). He taught through the Verse 28 of the Upadesa Saram that Self-realization is that State in which one has the plenary experience of one's own real nature, one's Chit-Swarupa, which is without beginning and end, and that It is unbroken Awareness-Bliss.  And to achieve this, all one has to do is to hold on to the 'I', transcending all the differing states of experiences.  Sri Bhagwan taught us to be. What does it mean? It means that one should remain as the unchanging 'I' at all times, in all circumstances.  Grace is there, how can this much be difficult? It is the mind alone which says that it is difficult, and of course it is difficult for the mind, which is  merely bundle of insentient thoughts.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil     
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 04:55:48 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4503 on: December 26, 2015, 04:58:58 PM »
Sri Kenneth Grant:

It is to the end that we may free ourselves from the glistening webs of thought whereby we have so surely chained ourselves, that Bhagwan brought us the incalculable gift on earth as Sri Ramana. Asking who am I?; stepping outside of the canvas at all times with unceasing vigilance and watchfulness, we may bring to birth that Unutterable Compassion for all beings which He manifested before the eyes of all, thus living the truth of Sage Milarepa's words: "If you realise the Voidness, Compassion will arise within your hearts."
No where before in all the world has so perfect a proof of the truth of these words been evidenced by the common man; nowhere before has the complete merging of Bhakti and Jnana been demonstrated before the eyes of the myriad throng. And If we, in the life of the seething canvas, yet fail to see the truth and endeavour to extricate ourselves from the suicidal chain of thoughts and events, who is to blame?

A few passages culled from Sri Grant?s beautiful article ?Eloquent Silence?, to be concluded in my next post)   
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 05:01:07 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4504 on: December 26, 2015, 05:08:07 PM »
Sri Kenneth Grant:

There is no matter of making the mind a blank, or stopping forcibly the thinking process, but merely of stepping aside and watching the endless stream flow by, while realizing constantly the void nature of all the ideas and thoughts that take shape in the mind's work room. Contact the substratum of these myriad images and there will be found the pure river of the One Consciousness, irresistible in its adamantine might, calling to the Jiva to merge again with its source, to let the shadows and scenes be mirrored  on the shining surface of its unsurpassable brilliance, and to fathom the depths from whence they spring to take on their phantom life before once more melting and merging in the mighty current that bears life endlessly on. 
Nor is it a matter of merely stopping the ears to the din and the roar of the torrent as it flows  and laves us, but of understanding the void nature of noise, as when a word that is uttered incessantly again and again becomes inane and void of all meaning, thus liberating the mind temporarily from the shackles of conventional significance. It is only when the senses, each in turn, are thus realized to be founded on a non-real basis that the mind is free to return to its pristine, natural state, and mirror the Pure Consciousness which it verily is, bereft of all the meanings and significations which we, as limited Jivas put upon things for our own selfish advantage (concluded).
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 05:10:35 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4505 on: December 27, 2015, 09:20:37 AM »
Dear Devotees,

I wish to say to all those devotees who are drawn to the Lotus Feet of the great Master, Bhagwan Sri Ramana, who love Him, and are trying to assimilate and practice His Teaching, that such devotees must listen to Him, who says:  "You are the Self"and "Self-knowledge is the easiest thing there is." We should always remember our real nature (as to who really we are in essence and in reality) that we are the Self, the Sky, and not mere objects in the Sky. We should avail the great opportunity that has come our way. Our presence here and our effort to come to terms with His Atma-vichara are sure indication that His Grace is showering on all of us.   If we realize our Sky-Nature through proper Enquiry, as taught by Sri Bhagwan, we realize simultaneously also that "Sat and asat verily I am, O Arjuna".  We realize that we are the Self which includes all, excludes nothing. 
Sri Kunju Swami who moved so closely with Sri Bhagwan used to say: 

Sri Kunju Swami: Does the sky has any problems? You are not this, you are the Self. What are you bemoaning?

Therefore, one's sole duty, while on this earth, is to keep returning to sense of oneself, from the oblivion in forms, whenever one remembers Vichara. Rest everything else is secondary and is there to only facilitate one to this state of understanding and practice.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 09:24:39 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4506 on: December 27, 2015, 09:26:58 AM »
What follows is an excerpt from Sri V. Ganesan's book 'Direct Teaching of Bhagwan Ramana':

Accordingly the validity of the Upanishadic statement that "it is like the walking on a razor's edge", the task does look difficult and, perhaps, impossible.
Yet, sternly turn your attention to Bhagwan Ramana, who confirms again and again that "it is the easiest"!
The former statement poses it as a problem, whereas the latter categorically affirms the opposite.

That is:
If you want to try it as a problem, then the mind becomes all-important, predominant, projecting the whole undertaking as extraordinarily difficult, almost impossible.
Reverently turning to the Maharshi, we find the entire issue clarified: "Raise the question 'To whom is the problem?'The answer is 'to me'. Question it further; 'Who am I?' WATCH! Immediately, all thoughts stop! When there are no thoughts, there is no mind. You need no proof other than your own experience. With proper Self-enquiry here ensues a state where the mind has voluntarily become inoperative. A state of Silence alone prevails. That Silence is the Self. You are THAT--'Tat tvam asi'.
See the simplicity of it all! Don't convert "You are That" into a concept, yet another thought. Experience it as the Reality that is your core, the imperishable, unchanging ground of your existence. EXPERIENCING  (NOT  THINKING)  IS  THE  CLUE.

Pranam,
  Anil 

« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 09:32:06 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4507 on: December 27, 2015, 09:32:58 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Onus lies on us therefore as to whether we regard  Swarupa-Realisation  as difficult or easy. If we take it as difficult and try it as a problem, we unwittingly enter mind's realm, for it is well-known by now that the mind creates and relishes solving problems, feeding on our assumption and notion that Swarupa-Realisation is difficult , and thus the mind which we are trying to transcend or destroy, becomes all-important, predominant, projecting the whole undertaking  as extraordinarily difficult--almost impossible, as Sri V. Ganesan said.
But Sri Bhagwan gave us an incalculable gift by teaching the Enquiry 'Who am I?', by teaching us to find out as to who really we are, stepping outside canvas at all times with unceasing vigilance and watchfulness. We have indeed lost hold of ourselves, and therefore, all we need do is to hold ourselves, stepping aside and remaining as mere witness of the endless stream flow by, and we surely realize the false and illusory nature of all the ideas, thoughts and concepts that take shape in the mind's workshop. 

SEE  THE  SIMPLICITY  OF  IT  ALL!

Dear devotees, if one is trying to reach the pure state of 'I am', one should ensure, with proper practice of the Enquiry, that one does not convert the pure state of being into a concept which is indeed yet another thought. One need to experience it as the Reality or Being which alone is our Swarupa. I am. I am not so and so, which is a mere concept and a thought after all.   

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 09:36:40 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4508 on: December 27, 2015, 10:15:55 AM »
What follows is an excerpt from the 'Introduction' to the Booklet 'Who am I?', translated by Dr. Sri T.M.P. Mahadevan:

The mind consists of thoughts. The 'I' thought is the first to arise in the mind. When the enquiry 'Who am I?' is persistently pursued, all other thoughts get destroyed, and finally the 'I' thought itself vanishes leaving the supreme non-dual Self alone. The false identification of the Self with the phenomena of non-self such as the body and mind thus ends, and there is illumination, Sakshatkara.
The process of enquiry of course, is not an easy one. As one enquires 'Who am I?', other thoughts will arise; but as these arise, one should not yield to them by following them , on the contrary, one should ask 'To whom do they arise ?' In order to do this, one has to be extremely vigilant. Through constant enquiry one should make the mind stay in its source, without allowing it to wander away and get lost in the mazes of thought created by itself. All other disciplines such as breath-control and meditation on the forms of God should be regarded as auxiliary practices. They are useful in so far as they help the mind to become quiescent and one-pointed.
For the mind that has gained skill in concentration, Self-enquiry becomes comparatively easy. It is by ceaseless enquiry that the thoughts are destroyed and the Self realized - the plenary Reality in which there is not even the 'I' thought, the experience which is referred to as 'Silence'.

Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan has of course taught that one can achieve concentration or one-pointedness of the mind through auxiliary practices, such as breath control and meditation on the forms. However, Sri Bhagwan has also taught that if the mind can become quiescent and one-pointed by the auxiliary practices, such as mediation on the forms, why can it not become quiescent and one-pointed by attending to the sense of 'I'? If my destination is Sri Arunachala-Ramana, why should I first practice to realize Himalayas.  I wish to reiterate once again that Enquiry itself is the best preparation for the Enquiry, which Sri Bhagwan has taught is the process as well as the Goal! Ceaseless Enquiry, with love for His Feet and the great Teaching, alone is the real solution.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
   Anil     
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 10:24:56 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4509 on: December 27, 2015, 04:10:54 PM »
Dear Devotees,

I am quoting below from the holy Utterances of Sri Bhagwan and citing a few verses from the GVK to demonstrate that if the will and desire to remember the Self are strong enough, combined with the repeated practice, as taught by Sri Bhagwan, day after day, with perseverance, it in itself is indeed enough to destroy the vasanas and to make the mind one-pointed, razor-sharp and subtle. There should be no doubt about that at all. .

Q: Why is it sometimes I find concentration on the Self so easy and at other times hopelessly difficult?
Sri Bhagwan: Because of vasanas. But really it is easy, since we are the Self. All we have to do is remember that. We keep on forgetting it, and thus we think we are the body, or the ego. IF  THE  WILL  AND  DESIRE  TO  REMEMBER   SELF  ARE  STRONG  ENOUGH,  THEY  WILL  EVENTUALLY  OVERCOME  VASANAS.  There must be a great battle going on inwardly all the time until the Self is realised.
Source: Conscious Immortality

Sri Muruganar:
As you repeatedly practice in this way day after day, the mind will become very pure through the removal of its impurities and the resultant enquiry will become so effortless , as soon as you begin the enquiry,  the mind will merge in the Heart.
Source: V. 399, GVK

When a forest is on fire, the creatures living in it, unable to bear the heat, come running in a vain attempt to save their lives. Similarly, unable to bear the growing intensity of the thought of the  Self, all the vasanas will rise from the Heart and die completely.
V. 400, GVK

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan has compassionately pointed out that though it is very difficult for a  mind with a roving nature to abide in the Heart, however, if one perseveres in this great practice, vasanas are destroyed because they cannot put up with or bear the 'thought of the Self  with growing intensity', and the power of the mind to abide in its source increases,  becoming subtle, razor-sharp and one-pointed.

THEN  SOON  AS  SOON  AS  ONE  BEGINS  THE  ENQUIRY,  MERGING  AND  ABIDING  IN  THE  HEART  WILL  BECOME  EFFORTLESS. And then there will be no body to report and bemoan that it is difficult or impossible.   

Dear devotees, why does Sri Bhagwan say repeatedly that it is easy? Sri Bhagwan  says  it is easy, since we are the Self, and nothing but the Self, and therefore, realization of what we really are cannot be difficult  If the will to know the Self is indeed strong, how can vasanas  survive? Mind rises like clouds and veils It and poses as the Self , which, in fact, is a mere reflection.  Our duty is to see through the falsity and illusoriness through Vichara, penetrate to the core, and remain as the Self.  So, mind alone is to be tackled, and in my view also, like in the views of so many of His devotees, no better method, to tackle the mind, other than Sri Bhagwan's Vichara, is known to mankind!

Sri Muruganar: Mind, the VEILING, has stolen away the Self, the consciousness-light of the unlimited supreme bliss. When its form is destroyed  by thoroughly enquiring ?Who am I??, it will shine illustriously in the supreme space of Swarupa.
V. 402, GVK

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 04:15:16 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: December 27, 2015, 06:16:31 PM »
Thou didst draw me to Thee, O Arunachala, Consciousness Itself, such is the wonder of Thy Grace!

Sri Deniss Hartel: We may feel that we have a choice to choose Arunachala, to choose the path of the practice of Self-enquiry, to choose Sri Ramana Maharshi as our ideal, our goal, our Guru. And if we do this with our whole heart and mind, we will also know and experience "Thou didst draw me to Thee, Arunachala,  Consciousness Itself, such is the wonder of Thy Grace!"
Source: Centenary Souvenir

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: December 28, 2015, 12:45:05 PM »
Sri Bhagwan: We are God (Iswara). Seeing ourselves as God (Iswara Drishti) is itself divine Grace. So we need Divine Grace to get God's Grace.   

Dear devotees, seeing ourselves as God is itself the Divine Grace. It follows therefore that to realize God's Grace we need to see ourselves as God. God is Grace, and therefore, realizatuion of God is verily the realization of God's Grace.
Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4512 on: December 28, 2015, 12:47:08 PM »
Sri Bhagwan: Wisdom, Devotion, Action (jnana, bhakti, karma) are all interlocked. (Talk?40) 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4513 on: December 28, 2015, 12:48:38 PM »
When you are separated from the Self-state, the thought that associates with you as 'my mind' and 'your mind' is itself the binding entanglement. You should know that the pure mind is only one, existing ever the same, as it is, as the chit-sakti (the power of consciousness) that remains merged non-dually with the supreme Self, which is the extremely clear and pure being.
V. 842, GVK, Sri D. Godman 

You should know that the true 'I', which shines as a single entity, appears as innumerable different 'I's because it is viewed through the 'I am the body' limitation. Know them all (the 'I's) to be collectively one, not different from each other, by viewing through the swarupa perspective that shines as the one deathless Self, pure being-consciousness.
V. 843, GVK, Edited by Sri D. Godman

Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan has taught that the essence of the mind is only awareness or consciousness. However, when the ego dominates it, it functions as the reasoning, thinking or sensing faculty. The verse 842 of the GVK implies the same. When we get swerved away from the Self-state and say 'I', it is the mind, impure one, and it does not matter whether it is 'my mind' or 'your mind', for this is the thougth that entangles.  This is not the mind which is only aware, but this mind is full of thoughts and activities. But the cosmic or the pure mind, Sri Bhagwan speaks of, is not limited by the ego, has nothing separate from Itself, and therefore, is only aware.  Sri Bhagwan says that this is what is meant by the biblical statement 'I am that I AM'. This is what is meant by the statement that the mind of a Realized One is verily Brahman. Pure Mind, in fact, is the Chit-Sakti or the Power of Consciousness. Since Sakti cannot remain apart from the Sakta, the Pure Mind remains merged with and is one with the Self. Mother is always one with the Father, nay, the Mother, in truth, is not different from the Father. Hence, 'I', Father, and Mother are One. 

Therefore, dear devotees, we should not view the myriad 'I's, on view, as real. They are all illusory. There is only one 'I' all along, but what rises up from time to time is the mistaken 'I-thought', which is the impure ego-mind which limits the mind whose essence is only awareness or the consciousness. The intuitive 'I' always remains Self-shining, i.e. even before it becomes manifest.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 12:55:10 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4514 on: December 28, 2015, 02:02:43 PM »
Sri Bhagwan: Concentration is impossible so long as there are predispositions. They obstruct bhakti also.

Dear Devotees,

The thoughts are the manifestation of the latent predispositions. So, the mind is accustomed to stray outward by the force of the latent predispositions manifesting as thoughts. Sri Bhagwan has taught that so long as there are predispositions contained within they must come out and exhaust themselves. The thoughts comprise the mind. And the great Master has taught that searching what the mind is, the thoughts will recoil and the seeker will know that they arise from the Self. If one realises that the thoughts arise from the Self, that is the beginning of the end of the rising of the thoughts, and with it the disappearance of the mind, and one abides in the Self. Here Sri Bhagwan says that after the mind ceases to exist and bliss of peace has been realised, one will find it then as difficult to bring out a thought, as he finds it difficult to keep out all thoughts during sadhana.  This is the acme of concentration. Vairagya or dispassion is the absence of diffused thoughts, PRACTICE  OF  THE  PATH  OF  SELF-ENQUIRY  LEADS  TO  IT.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil     
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 02:04:31 PM by eranilkumarsinha »