Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758254 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #450 on: January 23, 2011, 10:04:29 AM »

Dear Anil.,

When Swami Vivekananda went to America, he used to address the
audience in meetings, " You are all Brahmaswrupam!"  The audience felt that Swamiji was not hypnotizing them.  Because they had
heard in churches that they are addressed as:  "O Sinners, O sinners!" One girl stood up and asked Swamiji:  You are hypnotizing us!  Vivekananda replied:  No, I am not hypnotizing you.  Rather I am de-hypnotizing you. 

We are all like that.  We are so much used with ego that we refuse
to accept that we are Brahma Swarupam.  Or when Sri Bhagavan said that there are no ajnanis, all are jnanis, the devotees somehow could not believe those words.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 23, 2011, 03:59:14 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

' Ahandai uru azhithale mukti ' (w.r.t. Re 478)
Kindly explain wordwise meaning of the above sentence, the last sentence of the Scripture on Atma Vichara, ULLadu Narpadu.

Dear sir, attention towards the Self, investigation of the nature of the ego, and finally its merging into the Source is Jnana. On the other hand, submission of the ego finally in self surrender is Jnana.

Therefore, it follows that both Self Enquiry as well as devotion are one and the same. They are two aspects of Jnana or Truth. Thank you. Regards. Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: January 23, 2011, 04:43:02 PM »

Sri Bhagwan has said that the very birth of the I-thought or the ego is a sin and the body itself is the disease. For this soiled ego arrogates to itself That which is Pure Radiance.

If in churches a devotee is addressed as ' O sinner....' , it is obvious that his ego is being addressed.

However, in our religious and spiritual culture and tradition, every life is regarded as the manifestation of the Supreme Brahman. Hence  our Gurus often reminded the devotees and seekers of this underlying Reality by telling them time and again that you are Brahmaswarupam.

Sri Bhagwan never allowed His adoring devotees to think themselves as  sinners. He always said that such thinking is a hindrance in Realization.

Ego is hypnotized under the spell of its own creation (mental creation). When one realizes its own true nature as Brahmaswarupa, it is indeed de-hypnotization.

Thank you so much sir.

Regards,
     Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 24, 2011, 09:20:48 AM »

Dear Anil,

Ahandhai -  ego
URu - form. i.e the form of ego is thoughts and vasanas.
Azhithale - to get destroyed.
Mukti - liberation.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: January 24, 2011, 01:11:58 PM »

So, the last sentence of the Ulladu Narpadu says that the destruction of the ego which is of the form of thoughts and vasanas is liberation.

Thank you so much sir.

Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 24, 2011, 01:13:45 PM »
What is ego ?

Grasping a form (i.e. body) it rises; grasping a form it stands; grasping a form, it eats and waxes; leaving a form it grasps another form; when sought it takes to flight- this shapeless and ghostly ego ! Thus should you know.

Verse-25, Ulladu Narpadu

There is only the Absolute Self or the Brahman. Sri Bhagwan says that a spark proceeds from the Supreme Self as from a fire. This spark is called the ego. It identifies itself with the body simultaneously with its rise. We should pay attention to this fact that both its rise and identification with the body are happening at the same time, simultaneously. Sri Bhagwan says that grasping a form it rises and grasping a form only it can stand. It cannot remain independent without such association with the objects. This very association is ajnana or the ignorance. All sadhanas are only to destroy this association of the spark from the Supreme with the forms or the objects. Since is rise and identification are simultaneous , Sri Bhagwan says that if its objectifying tendency is killed, it remains pure and is merged into the Source of its own accord. The wrong identification with the body is what is called ‘dehatmabudhi’ ( ‘I am the body’ idea ) which must go, if one is to regain the Radiant and Blissful Natural State.

Thank you,
    Anil     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 24, 2011, 01:39:26 PM »

Dear Anil,

Sri Bhagavan describes the nature of mind/ego, beautifully, in Verses 15 to 20 also.

Verse 15:  Mind extinct, the mighty seer,
               Returns to his own natural being
               And has no action to perform.

Verse 16:  It is true wisdom
               For the mind to turn away
               From outer objects and behold
               Its own effulgent form.

Verse 17:  When unceasingly the mind
               Scans its own form,
               There is nothing of the kind
               For everyone
               This path direct is open.

Verse 18:  Thoughts alone make up the mind,
               And of all thoughts, the 'I' thought is the root.
               What is called the mind is but the notion 'I'

Verse 19:  When one turns within and searches
               Whence this 'I' thought arises,
               The shamed 'I' vanishes --
               And wisdom's quest begins.

Verse 20:  Where this 'I' notion faded
                Now there as I, as I, arises
                The One, the very Self, the Infinite.   

This is the Heart of Upadesa Saram.  Each verse is a Maha Vakya.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: January 24, 2011, 03:13:09 PM »

the last sentence of the Ulladu Narpadu says that the ego is of the form of
thoughts and vasanas. Sri Ram Krishna has compared the ego to an onion.
He says that the ego is like the onion which is nothing apart from  its peels.
When one goes on shedding off thoughts and vasanas, only the Supreme Silence remains.
And that is blissful Natural Abode.

Thank You sir.

Regards,
   Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 24, 2011, 04:21:35 PM »

Dear  Anil,

Yes. Sri Ramakrishna compared the ego to an onion, which is nothing when peeled off. 

Sri Bhagavan has said it is a ghost.  Ghost has no real form.  It holds on to a firm and rises, it thrives. 

Once in a village, a villager in the dark moonless light saw a trunk of a felled tree and mistook it as a ghost.  He came and told everyone.  Another man further created a story that it is wearing a white dress.  All ghost stories describe ghosts wearing only a white dress.  No red or blue dress!  A third man said that it called him -
come here, come here.  Like these stories started spreading in the village.  One bold fellow took a torch and went near the 'ghost'.  It is not there. There is only a trunk of a felled tree.

ULLadu Narpadu Verse 25:

Holding a form it rises.  Holding a form it stays.  Holding and feeding on a form, it thrives. Leaving one form, it takes hold of another.  When sought, it takes to flight.  Such is the ego-ghost with no form of its own.

In our daily experiences, we find that all our dyads and triads are only dependent on the ego.  I love X. I hate Y.  I am afraid of X.  Y is afraid of me.  One cannot love or hate just summa, for no reason.  We always need a person to show our hate or love.  Sometimes in pain and misery we hate ourselves.  This is also on to a person, that is me.  All emotions are upon a person - through our ego.  Only when the first person pronoun rises, the second person and third person pronouns rise.  These are dyads.  So also the case with triads.  God, world, jiva and such discussions.
If one investigates the underlying ego, all these will go.  Such a
person will realize the Truth.

ULLadu Narpadu Verse 9:

'Two's and 'Threes' depend upon one thing, the ego.  If one asks in one's Heart, 'What is this ego?' and finds it, they slip away.  Only those who have found this know the Truth.  And they will never be perplexed.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #459 on: January 25, 2011, 09:58:37 AM »

Sri Bhagwan says that ego is like a ghost. We should trace and understand the meaning and significance of this statement. In essence, there is no difference between  the ego and the ghost. As a ghost or a dark spirit is superimposed on the substratum of a tree trunk or a post, so is the ego-ghost superimposed on the substratum of the Supreme Self. On enquiry, the so called ghost turns out to be a tree trunk or a post, so is the ego ghost is found to be the Self on Self-Enquiry.

Thank you so much sir.

Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #460 on: January 25, 2011, 10:02:27 AM »
The body is blind, unborn is the Real Self.
The twain between, within the body’s limit,
There a something else appears.
That is the knot of matter and spirit, the mind,
        The living soul, the body subtle, the ego-self.
That is samsara, the revolving wheel ( of life and death).

Verse-26, Sat-Darshan

Born of form, rooted in forms,
Living on forms, ever changing its forms,
Itself formless, flitting when questioned,
Such is the ego-ghost.

Verse-27, Sat-Darshan

Self is the Fullness of Consciousness and is the basis of the I-notion in all beings. The body is insentient, or jada. Between the two appears the ghost like entity which is distinct from both the Self as well as the body. This ego-ghost partakes of the character of both the Self and the body and serves as a link between them. Sri Bhagwan says that  this ego-ghost is a a granthi, a knot, connecting the spirit with the matter. Sri Bhagwan calls this psycho-physical knot by the name of  ‘Chit-jada-granthi’ which appears within the limit of the body.

Since this ego-ghost partakes of the character of both the Self and the body, although distinct from both, it is at once pervasive ( character of the Self ) and limited ( character of the body ).

It follows from the above discussion that the True ‘I’ is the Absolute Existence and the Supreme Meaning and Significance of the Supreme Self. The Supreme Self is vaguely represented by its reflection , atmabhasa, or the apparent self.

Thank You,
    Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #461 on: January 25, 2011, 10:23:43 AM »

Dear Anil,

It is the mind that creates stories, imaginations, thoughts and anxieties.  If the mind is quelled, it curls back into the Self.  If it
stays permanently with the Self without jumping out, it is realization.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 25, 2011, 02:54:11 PM »

One is aware that the ego, mind, thoughts, and prana rise from the Conscious Self. One is aware by the Grace of the Guru, of one’s Truth that ‘I merely am’. Non-dual feeling is always there. Sometimes, even sleep does not seem to obstruct this experience. Sri Bhagwan says apprehending It (the Conscious Self) even vaguely helps the extinction of the ego. Thereafter, the Realization of the Infinite and the Eternal Existence becomes possible. 

But so long as the ego-mind does not permanently stay merged with the Source, or the Self, as you said,  I feel that perseverance at this stage is vital. I also feel that this perseverance is best realized when one is always doing Atma Vicharam, remembering, reading only selected books pointing unerringly to the Self, and of course with a bit of relevant discussion with the like-minded devotees.

Thank you so much sir.

Regards,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 25, 2011, 03:54:56 PM »

Dear Anil,

Very true.  Perseverance and efforts are definitely necessary.
Self realization is not for the weaklings.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 26, 2011, 01:49:27 PM »
There are many selves but there is only one Self.

All this is verily Brahman. Brahman is One without a second. Brahman is truth, knowledge endless. Brahman is consciousness.
                                                                  Upanishad

The Upanishads describe the nature of Brahman as the Supreme Sole Truth, or Sat, as the third person in the context of the creation-jivas and the world.
“Aham Atma Gudakesh…” , or  “ I am the Self of all…” ,or “ I am is God ” or “ I is the Name of god.”

Reality is as It is. Nothing whatever can be said with reference to it.  In Itself, It is as It is. It is. There is neither  ‘I’ nor ‘this’ in Brahman when it is referred as the Supreme Truth, or Eternal existence, or as  Sat. When referred as Itself, as It is, unrelated to the created existence, only Infinite Eternal Existence as Silence is.

But the Sole Supreme truth, Brahman, is also the Supreme Self of all created jivas and the world. As the Supreme Source of all created entities, It is the Supreme Self or the Supreme ’I’ of all that is created, of all beings, of all empirical realities and vitality.

Therefore, it follows that the Supreme Sole Reality, Brahman, or Sat, is verily the Supreme Self, the Indwelling Self. The Indwelling Self is the basis and support of the notion of ‘I’ in all of us. So, the notion of  our ‘I’ refers to the supreme Self or the Supreme ‘I’ which is its ultimate meaning and significance.

Thank you,
    Anil