Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 759044 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #4485 on: December 05, 2015, 10:59:58 AM »
Anil,
Thanks very much for your prayers and wishes.Chennai is slowly limping back towards regaining normalcy after unprecedented Rains and flooding.
Namaskar

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4486 on: December 06, 2015, 08:56:40 AM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

Thanks so much for your response, dear Sri Ravi bhai saheb. When I think of the plight and terrible hardship that the great people of Chennai have suffered all these days on account of unprecedented rain and flooding, my heart goes out to them.  I have myself experienced the devastation caused by the on-rushing whirling, uncontrollable flood water almost every year, here in Bihar, and therefore can feel the pain and helplessness being suffered by the people of Chennai. More so, because I am employed in the Water Resources Department of the govt. of Bihar, and our offices are responsible for planning and executing structural measures to prevent flooding in the state.

However, it is a great relief to learn from you and the news papers that rain has at long last stopped and the city is gradually limping back to normalcy, and haze around Sri Arunachala is also clearing. I have also learnt that the Authorities have promised to ensure that they will do all to bring the situation fully under control by the 8th of December. I shall keep praying with the whole nation to Sri Bhagwan and the Mother Goddess to shower grace and alleviate the suffering and hardship being suffered by the humanity in Chennai.

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4487 on: December 06, 2015, 10:39:39 AM »
Though over and over the fickle mind,
All restlessness, a-wandering goes,
Still over and over let him regain
Control, and poise it back in the Self.
V. 6-26, Srimad Bhagavad Gita

Sri Bhagwan: Why? If you can think about other things you can think about 'I' and where in your body it arises. If you mean that other thoughts distract you, the only way is to draw your mind back each time it strays and fix it on the 'I'. As each thought arises, ask yourself: "To whom is this thought?" The answer will be, "To me"; then hold on that "me".

Dear Devotees,

Vichara, in my view, entails and necessitates to bring about this correction in sadhana, from the very beginning. If one can think about other things, one can certainly, with little effort, to start with, think about the expression 'I' and where in one's body it arises. The Bhagavad Gita also teaches  'Atma samsthan manah krtva', that is, 'fixing the mind in the Self'. If all thoughts are eliminated, or they lose power, with the persistence of the Vichara, to disturb one's fixity of the mind in the Self, manah or  the mind realises its real nature as the consciousness, and it becomes 'Atma samsthan', that is, fixed in the Self. Therefore, in the direct path, there is no alternative but to draw one's mind back every time it strays and fix it on the 'I'. If one is able to do it, there can be, in my view, no greater gain than this in the three worlds. Remember, we keep on chanting during all waking hours as I, I, I,..., and superimposing consciousness 'I'  on the insentient body, mind (aggregate of thoughts) and objects, without realising that that what we call 'I', is in truth 'avarchiniya' or inexpressible, most beautiful and most wonderful, and is That, Which alone Is!

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil             
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 10:44:35 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4488 on: December 06, 2015, 02:11:15 PM »
D: When I sit down to think of God, thoughts wander away to other objects. I want to control those thoughts.
Sri Bhagwan:  In the Bhagavad Gita it is said that it is the nature of the mind to wander. One must bring one's mind to bear on God. By long practice the mind is controlled and made steady.

Dear Devotees,

Contrary to general perception and understanding, a strong mind is not that which can think furiously myriad thoughts. When one brings the mind to bear on God, or when one attends to the Self within, the mind wavers which is obviously a weakness, and which is the consequence of dissipation of its energy in the form of thoughts. Compulsive thinking and thoughts, in turn, arise due to predispositions or vasanas,  accumulated in numerous births. 

Sri Bhagwan has taught that when the mind is brought to bear on one thought the energy is conserved, and the mind becomes strong. However, I wish to submit here that when the mind is brought to attend to the Self within, our Atma-swarupa, which is of the nature of being rather than of doing anything, as Sri Sadhu Om has elaborated, more energy is conserved in Self-attention than when one focuses one's attention on an alien object, and hence mind goes on becoming stronger and stronger and thus progressively has, at its disposal, more and more energy  and ability to abide in and as the Self. Therefore, real strength of the mind is its ability to concentrate on one thought as in meditation or on to oneself without being distracted, as in Enquiry.

Dear devotees, whether one is a devotee of God or the Self, one has to learn to concentrate, either on God, or the Self, or an object. This, in most cases, will come only with long and sustained practice. It is equally difficult or equally easy, depending on the ability or pakva of the sadhakas.

MIND  DEVELOPS  ABILITY  TO  CONCENTRATE  WITH   CONTINUOUS  PRACTICE.  This is why Sri Bhagwan has said that in the earlier stages the mind reverts to the search at long intervals; with continued practice it reverts at shorter intervals until finally it does not wander at all.  Mind in this state is subtle, razor sharp, alert and strong with its infinite ability to penetrate, even to the deepest core of our existence, like the laser beam.  This is the sattvic mind Sri Bhagwan speaks of. Sattvic mind is free from thoughts, unlike the rajasic mind which is full of them.  Sri Bhagwan has taught that the sattvic mind resolves into the Life-current or the Self.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil       
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 02:14:13 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4489 on: December 06, 2015, 04:28:42 PM »
An American Lady: But, in the process of finding the Self, is this seeking external help spiritually legitimate?
Sri Bhagwan: The error lies in the identification of the Self with the body. If Bhagwan is the body you may ask that body. But understand him whom you address as Bhagwan. He is not the body. He is the Self.
Then she referred to an article in Harijan where it is said that everything is God and nothing belongs to individual, and so on.
Sri Bhagwan: Everything, the individual, God and all only the Self.
Talk--341

Dear devotees, what a pity! We address Bhagwan Sri Ramana as Sri Bhagwan, and yet identify Him with the body!  But then so long as we identify ourselves with our bodies, we will also continue to identify Him with His body, and  the knowledge that He is the Self will only be intellectual rather than experiential. But Sri Bhagwan has taught that the Guru, the individual, the world, and all else are the Self only. Therefore,  All is Consciousness, Pure and Simple! 
Pranam,
  Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4490 on: December 07, 2015, 05:28:52 PM »
Sri Bhagwan: The error lies in the identification of the Self with the body. If Bhagwan is the body you may ask that body. But understand him whom you address as Bhagwan. He is not the body. He is the Self.

Sri Bhagwan: Only he who sees me with the same eye   that I see myself, and as that which I see myself, will truly see my real nature (swarupa) as it actually is. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4491 on: December 07, 2015, 05:30:40 PM »
Sri Bhagwan's reply regarding service to God:

Sri Bhagwan replied rather sarcastically:  So God can't get on without their services? On the contrary, God asks: "Who are you to do service to Me?" He is always saying: "I am within you; who are you?"

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan has revealed that God is shining unceasingly in the form of illumination 'I-I' in the Heart.  This is why Sri Bhagwan has taught that the infallible guide for enquiry into our real nature,  as it actually is in the Heart, is  the true light of the Self "I am" that cannot be rejected.

Sri Bhagwan: To realise that you yourself are the Self, why do you require any light other than being-consciousness, the light of the Self?

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 05:32:47 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4492 on: December 08, 2015, 05:06:55 PM »
Sri Bhagwan:
If you abide as consciousness by knowing consciousness, the profound delusion caused by the frenzied obsession with sense objects will come to an end.
Out of all sadhanas that are worth performing, knowing consciousness is the only excellent and definitive one.
To abide as the Self, pure consciousness, bereft of the suttarivu--this is the meaning of 'knowing consciousness through consciousness'.
Know this statement to be the great and glorious meaning of the unique phrase (summa iru) that tells you to be still.

Source: GVK

Dear devotees, do we know consciousness or not? We cannot say that we do not. When our consciousness is bereft of the suttarivu or the objective consciousness, what remains in only the simple and pure consciousness. That alone is our simple and innocent state of mere being. When the objective consciousness or the ego is done away with by proper enquiry, as taught by Sri Bhagwan, self-abidance happens spontaneously, which finally culminates in Realisation. This is what, in my view, Sri Bhagwan means by the Statement that knowing consciousness through consciousness, bereft of suttarivu or the objective consciousness, is to abide as the Self or the pure consciousness.  There is no doubt whatsoever that knowing consciousness is one definitive sadhana.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 05:10:08 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4493 on: December 10, 2015, 04:34:18 PM »
Sri Bhagwan:
Habits create the false notion that thinking is a permanent institution, with which it is impossible to dispense, but enquiry and discrimination will blast this fallacy.

Dear Devotees,

Thinking is not a permanent institution. Thinking is undoubtedly the outcome of our illusory and false identification with the mind. When the thinker is held by the crux of the neck, through enquiry, thinker disappears being false and illusory, and one begins to realise that one is not the thinker at all. This enables the sadhaka to remain as the mere witness.  Then the thinker who always paraded as the subject and the owner is now found to be an object.  A higher consciousness is awakened.   THIS  IS  WHAT  IS  CALLED  AWAKENING  OF  CONSCIOUSNESS  FROM   THE  DREAM  OF  FORMS.

Dear devotees, thinker and its myriad thoughts take us away from the joy of being. The more we identify with our thinking, our likes and dislikes, our craving and desires, our judgements and interpretations, etc, the more we move away from our own reality of mere state of being, which is here and now, or Presence, Which is really our own Conscious Presence.

Just being is not an indolent state, as Sri Bhagwan has taught.  To just be is to enjoy the joy of one's true identity, the joy of one's mere being, for we are the Self, and not the fimsy thinker!

So long as we identify with the mind, and do not know through enquiry that we are the Self who exists even without the mind, Sages will be saying 'Here and Now' and we will be asking 'Where and When?'

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 04:38:31 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4494 on: December 13, 2015, 09:42:48 AM »
Sri Paul Brunton:
If you can plumb the mind's depths, He teaches, you will eventually arrive at a point where both the thinking intellect and personal self seem to disappear, becoming reabsorbed by the hidden element out of which they were created. That element is none other than the absolute Being, the partless Reality, the one Self underlying, the birth and death of mortal men and material worlds.
The mMaharshi's practical course of effort for discovering this reality is extremely simple, so simple, that our modern over-active minds may trun away unsatisfied and seek complicated elaborate yoga disciplines and yet it tis extremely subtle. It is as effective for the devotional type of person as for the intellectual.
Set up a mental current of self-wuestioning, teaches the sage, attempt to ferret out what you really are, and to trace the living being who thinks and feels within your body. Watch your thoughts in the process and then endeavour to pin them down to the stillness out of which they arise. If you persist and apply yourself to frequent meditation on this topic, you will ultimately track thought to its origin, Self to its lair and consciousness to its primal partless state.
The personal sense of 'I' will collapse and disappear, BEING  REPLACED  BY  THE  IMPERSONAL  SENSE  OF  THAT, the absolute spirit which breathes life into us all, which not only maintains the existence of your mind and body but also the minds and bodies of all creatures.
This technique of Self-enquiry is really more simple than the ancient system of yoga, and should therefore be easy to practice. Because of its subtle nature, however, and of our numerous tendencies towards excessive mental and material activity, it becomes difficult.

Source: The Silent Power

Dear Devotees,

Sri Paul Burnton  has written that the reward which waits for those who practice the technique taught by Sri Bhagwan is nothing less than nirvana itself, at the most, and mental tranquillity at the least. I wish to say that if one is inspired by Him and His Teaching, even the first attempt at this great technique can bestow at least the feeling that one is indeed divine, and is close to God, and then there is no looking back, for something from within will keep nudging and prompting to experience the same peace or tranquillity again and again. Such is the Enquiry!

Dear devotees, Sri Brunton has advocated that the most effective way to overcome difficulty  in pursuing the straight path is seeking the company of Brahman-Knowers or the spiritually illumined and sitting at their feet. However, I feel that if one finds the technique of Self-enquiry, as  taught by Sri Bhagwan, a little difficult, to start with,  THE  MOST  EFFECTIVE  WAY  OF  OVERCOMING  THAT  DIFFICULTY  IS  TO  COME  TO  SRI  RAMANASRAMAM, AND  SIT  AT  SRI  BHAGWAN?S  HOLY  SHRINE,  OLD  HALL  AND  MOTHER?S  SAMADHI,  AND   ABSORB  HIS  GRACE.  Now, after His Mahanirvana, this, in my view, is the same as sitting at His Lotus Feet. This, I am cent percent certain. Sri Bhagwan's Grace is palpable, and one may get a glimpse of the Reality, ever standing, and experience the Swarupa.  Even a glimpse of the Atma-swarupa, in my view, is enough to sweep away the impure mind and its numerous tendencies.  Therefore, if one finds some difficulty is attending to oneself ,  and in penetrating to one's core where abides the  Sat-Chit-Ananda, Who is none other than the Self or the Swarupa, one should make a few visits to Sri Ramanasramam, and sit silently at His Lotus Feet.  What is needed to practice and succeed in Self-enquiry is His Grace and practice and more practice.  BOTH  HIS  AS  WELL  AS  OUR  WORK  LIE  WITHIN.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 09:47:15 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4495 on: December 13, 2015, 12:47:04 PM »
Sri V. Ganesan:
To discover the truth about oneself, Sri Ramana said, one has to delve within and seek the source of all one's activities. If the Truth is not within oneself, He said, then the Truth  DEFINITELY  cannot be found outside.  To derive home this vital  point, Sri  Ramana Maharshi never indulged in jargon or polemics; He referred to one's own daily experiences. No one can say 'I do not exist', 'I don't know what is sleep, dream, hunger or thirst', and so on. By drawing one's attention to such common experience, He made one realise that one is nothing but the Truth.

Dear Devotees,

Happiness is innately known to us and that is the reason why we are always seeking it. By law, we can seek only that which is already known to us, that is, only if we are aware of its existence. If we do not know anything about something, how can we seek itand why? So, it follows that happiness is our real nature, and Sri Bhagwan has taught that this is the reason why everyone, without exception,  loves oneself most. Hence the Teaching in every religion at all times: "KNOW  THYSELF?.  Hence, Sri Bhagwan taught : It is essential that one should know oneself to realise that inherent and untainted happiness surges from within.

And to discover this great truth about oneself, Sri Bhagwan simply, but with telling effect, employed one's own daily experiences, such as, one's  own permanent sense of being or existence, sleep, dream etc.

Not only that, He taught to quest for the Self in the form of Enquiry 'Who am I?', because everyone refers to oneself as 'I' only, and no one can say that one does not know 'I', no one can deny that one is not aware of the feeling or sense 'I' or one is not subjectively aware.  Everyone, referring to oneself, says only 'I', and only 'I'.  That 'I' is consciousness. There are not infinite number of 'I's. There is only one real 'I' by which countless number of bodies are being referred to! It is the greatness of Sri Bhagwan's Atma-vichara that mind-boggling multiplicity is reduced thus to one single syllable! That is 'I', that is the Self or the real Swarupa, which is immeasurably vaster; and that which appears on the surface is only the tips of the iceberg.  AND,  THEREFORE, THAT  QUEST  IS  ONE  SURE  WAY  TO  REALISE  UNITY  IN  DIVERSITY.  Isn't it?

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 12:55:59 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4496 on: December 13, 2015, 01:32:17 PM »
Dear devotees, what I wished to say in my previous post  has been wonderfully explained on many occasions by Sri Bhagwan Himself, as  also this vital point has been driven home in Sri Bhagwan's Replies  to a  lady devotee's questions, as in following conversation:

Lady:  Bhagwan! How can one attain the Self?
Sri Bhagwan: Why should you attain the Self?
Lady: For shanti (peace).
Sri Bhagwan: So! Is that it? Then there is what is called peace, is there?
Lady: Yes! there is.
Sri Bhagwan: All right! And you know that you should attain it. How do you know? To know that, you must have experienced it at some time or other. It is only when one knows that sugarcane is sweet, that one wishes to have some. Similarly, you must have experienced peace. You experience it now and then. Otherwise, why this longing for peace! In fact, we find every human being is longing similarly for peace; peace of some kind. It is therefore obvious that peace is the real thing, the reality; call that shanty, soul, or Parmatma or Self--whatever you like. We all want it, don't we?
Lady: Yes! But how to attain it?
Sri Bhagwan: What you have got is shanty itself. What can I say if some one asks for something which he has already got? If it is something to be brought from somewhere, effort is required. The mind with all its activities has come between you and your Self. What you have to do now is to get rid of that.

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 03:15:51 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4497 on: December 13, 2015, 02:03:47 PM »
The Self manifests externally as Guru when occasion arises; otherwise He is always within, doing the needful.
 (Talk-425)

Dear devotees, it follows therefore that Self alone is the real Guru, and when occasion arises It is the Self alone Who manifests externally Whom we refer to as the Outer Guru. But both, nevertheless, is the Self and only the Self. So, we must rest assured: whether He appears there outside or not, He is within always, doing the needful. We need only to focus on our sadhana, fully assured that the Guru is doing the needful. Sri Bhagwan has also assured that the Guru  has more solicitude for His devotees than we can ever imagine!
Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4498 on: December 14, 2015, 04:36:16 PM »
An European Sadhak:
Sri Bhagwan was unique, peerless. Why should I say was? He is unique and He is peerless.
One gracious look, one understanding nod and one sympathetic word had always meant oceans to the earnest seeker, to the aspiring pilgrim. And which sincere voyager has gone to Him and returned empty? And which devout sadhaka has sought His Guidance and has not got it?
The intellectual quibbler might have been given the short shrift by Him. The dry philosopher might have found in Him a steel wall. The eternal doubter would have returned from Him not any better.
But those who have unreservedly surrendered themselves to a pursuit of Truth have never failed to find in Him a great guide. And in what infinite ways has He helped the true sadhaks?
Sometimes the sought for guidance would come through an answer given to somebody's question. Sometimes it would be provided through a direct monosyllabic answer. And sometimes it would come through a subjective experience.
And if the hundreds of pilgrims on the path of spirituality and guidance from Sri Bhagwan were to unfold their subjective experiences, the world will know how gracious, compassionate, benevolent and all-pervasive Sri Bhagwan has been and is.
But subjective experiences are intimate and they are provided only for the personal spiritual advancement of the particular aspirant. It is, therefore, not usually considered necessary to take the world into confidence regarding the subjective experiences of sadhaks.
Source: Centenary Souvenir

Dear Devotees,

Wonder of wonders is this that, more often than not, recipient of such grace and guidance may not be even aware, exactly as an infant is breast-fed by the mother while it is asleep and is unaware of such feeding. Yes,  His earnest, sincere and loving devotees, who have unreservedly surrendered themselves to a pursuit of their own truth can never fail to find in Him a great and wonderful Guide at every step of one's sadhana, as well as  a great divine help in times of crisis and in trials and tribulations while they are voyaging through the troubled waters of the ocean of samsara.

I have felt that some kind of subjective experiences, some time or other, happen inevitably to all those who seek to know their own truth, earnestly and sincerely, and when they happen they are left with no doubt . Such experiences are certainly intimate and they are sure signs of progress on the path. Besides, they nudge the sadhaks to go further deep and reach one's Core  and maintain effortless Self-attention, culminating in Realisation. The Guru bestows these subjective experiences for the spiritual advancement of a particular aspirant, but they are not the actual realisation Sri Bhagwan speaks of.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 04:41:08 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4499 on: December 20, 2015, 09:32:10 AM »
D: What is the goal of this process?
Sri Bhagwan: Realising the Self.
D: What is the nature of the Reality?
Sri Bhagwan:
a. Existence without beginning or end-eternal.
b. Existence everywhere, endless, infinite.
c. Existence underlying all forms, all changes, all forces, all matter and all spirit.
The many change and pass away (phenomena), whereas the One always endures (noumenon). 
d. The one displacing the triads, i.e., the knower,, the knowledge, and the known. The triads are only appearances in time and space, whereas the Reality lies beyond and behind them. They are like a mirage over the Reality. They  are the result of delusion.

Dear Devotees,

We look for clues for success in Enquiry. Does not the above conversation contain a great clue? Triads are appearances in time and space and are therefore illusory. They are changing and passing every moment, but contemplate, are we really changing and passing away every moment? Every one of us, for sure, is aware that there is something in us which endures and abides, that that something has endured form childhood to this day. Is it not?  Existence alone IS, and rest everything else is mere phenomenon, appearance. Therefore, onus lies on us to contemplate  and investigate, and realise the EXISTENCE in absolute purity and be free from all limitation, or continue to live wretched lives endlessly as mere appearances.  This is why Sri Bhagwan has taught that there must be one who is thus deluded. Who is he? Therefore, Sri Bhagwan is asking us to only recognise and pay attention to the culprit itself. Because it is mere appearance in space and time, it will vanish.  Dear devotees, to whom really is the illusion? Ah! We need to find out only that!  Then illusion will vanish. Sri Bhagwan, in fact, for once and all, has driven home the cardinal point in the sadhana of the Enquiry that generally people want to know about illusion and do not examine to whom it is. If we examine we find out that  THE  ONE  TO  WHOM  IS  THE  ILLUSION  IS  NOT   ENDURING,  BUT  FLEETING   AND   FLOATING  LIKE  DEBRIS  AND  FOAM  IN  THE  OCEAN  OF  CONSCIOUSNESS.
Sri Bhagwan:  IT  IS  FOOLISH. Illusion is outside and unknown. But the seeker is considered to be known and is inside. Find out what is immediate, intimate, instead of trying to find out what is distant and unknown.

Dear devotees, there is a great clue also in Sri Bhagwan's great Saying that though 'I' is an illusion, 'I' casts of the illusion of 'I' and yet remains as 'I'.  it may sound and appear paradoxical to those who have never investigated and faced, face to face, that which they call 'I', but one who has earnestly, with love for the Self, or Swayam, or the Swarupa, contemplated and investigated, and seen the many rising and passing away, holding the One, that is, Oneself, EVER  STANDING,  will certainly understand the import of the great Saying, and be happy and peaceful, and will look forward to the impending great discovery.  This, in my view, is the beginning of the dawn of smrti labdha', Lord  Sri Krishna speaks of!

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 09:38:16 AM by eranilkumarsinha »