Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 755639 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #4455 on: November 16, 2015, 08:50:27 PM »
Anil,
Indeed there are no two selves but it is a case of mistaken identity. As sri Bhagavan said that the ego sense that one mistakes as the self is not present iii deep sleep.From this it is clear that the ego sense is not the Self.It is clear that the ego sense has to be seen through and dropped for the Self to be clearly recognized.Just like in a theatre the projecting motion picture has to be switched off for us to see the screen onto which it is projected.Self enquiry -who am I- serves to reveal the hollowness of the ego.
You may be happy to know that this has been added to my practice.Those two talks of Sri Bhagavan are the key and are simple enough to put into practice.
Namaskar.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4456 on: November 17, 2015, 08:52:04 AM »
Quote from Sri Ravi:
"You may be happy to know that this has been added to my practice.Those two talks of Sri Bhagavan are the key and are simple enough to put into practice."

Dear Sri Ravi,

Yes, I am indeed very, very happy to know that you have added self-enquiry to your practice.  I am also very, very certain that other practices will gradually leave you of their own accord. I understood long ago that sooner than later you were destined to practice and walk the Straight Path. I deeply believe that when Sri Bhagwan's Grace is showering on a person of your calibre, understanding and insight, such a one, grasping the subtle points of Enquiry, will arrive one day, and adopt and practice the same. Now that you have been caught up in the net of His Grace and taken up the practice of Vichara, I am sure many will be benefitted from your profound insight into His Teaching in general and Atma-vichara in particular.
Chath Vrata is being celebrated with observance of utmost purity in my home today; and when I saw your post, on waking up today in the morning, I indeed felt very good and very, very happy! 

Thanks very much, dear Sri Ravi bhai saheb.
Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 08:53:58 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4457 on: November 17, 2015, 08:56:58 AM »
Quote from Sri Ravi:
"Indeed there are no two selves but it is a case of mistaken identity. As sri Bhagavan said that the ego sense that one mistakes as the self is not present iii deep sleep.From this it is clear that the ego sense is not the Self.It is clear that the ego sense has to be seen through and dropped for the Self to be clearly recognized.Just like in a theatre the projecting motion picture has to be switched off for us to see the screen onto which it is projected.Self enquiry -who am I- serves to reveal the hollowness of the ego."

Dear Sri Ravi,

The above is an impeccable understanding! Yes, indeed it is merely a case of mistaken identity and mere pretension, as Sri Bhagwan Himself once observed.

Dear bhai saheb, Sri Bhagwan has unequivocally taught that the essential thing is to divorce our sense of self from what our ego and our body are feeling or doing.

Sri Bhagwan: We should think "Feelings are going on, this body is acting in such and such a manner", but never feel "I feel,I act."

Not only this, but when a devotee asked, "Have we then no responsibility at all for the behaviour of our ego?" Sri Bhagwan replied:
Sri Bhagwan: None at all. Let it go its own way like an automation.

Dear bhai saheb, I have benefitted greatly from contemplation, for a long while, on the above conversation, which enabled me to be able to sift the reality from the unreality in a scientific manner, and therefore, hope that you would find this perfectly in line with our current discussion.

Thanks very much, dear bhai saheb.
Pranam,
  Anil 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 09:00:40 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4458 on: November 17, 2015, 11:10:44 AM »
Sri Bhagwan once said: "They say it is very difficult to stop thoughts, and also that by tapas nothing is impossible, but however much tapas I do, I cannot think a single thought."

Dear  Devotees,

Self-abidance or the natural state of self-attention is effortless, and there is no doubt whatever that this state happens spontaneously as we gain in one-pointedness, and go on gaining adequate dispassion, detachment or indifference towards anything other than the Self by appropriate sravana, manana, contemplation on the Self and Enquiry.  We thus gain love for Self-abidance which culminates in realisation of the Self or the Atma-swarupa.

Dear devotees, the sole culprit which prevents us from realising our Atma-swarupa or the Self is WRONG  IDENTIFICATION  WITH  OUR  MIND. It is invariably this wrong identification which triggers and causes thoughts to become compulsive. This, our wrong identification with the mind and its thoughts, is a mere pretension, and we know for certain that we exist even without the mind or the bundle of thoughts. Do we not? In truth, this incessant chirping or the mental noise alone prevents us from realising the realm of inner stillness which is inseparable from the Self or Being. This wrong identification alone is responsible for the CREATION  OF  A  FALSE,  ILLUSORY   AND  MIND-MADE   SELF,  CALLED  EGO.  This mind-made self alone casts shadows of doubt, fear, suffering and what not!

Therefore, dear devotees,  as I read somewhere,  we first need to grasp, contrary to Sri Descartes (I think therefore I exist), THAT  NOT  TO  BE  ABLE  TO  STOP  THOUGHTS  AND  THINKING  IS  A  VERY  DEADFUL  AND  TERRIBLE  AFFLICTION!!!  If we are not conscious of this fact, this is because almost everyone is suffering from this affliction of identification with the mind. Isn't it? So, it is considered normal.

Therefore, I submit that since we now know as we have been told by the Sadguru, our one and only one duty is to cultivate love the Self  or Atma or the Atma-swarupa, enquire who really one is, and realise the Self. For this purpose alone we are here! Are we not?

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 11:14:18 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4459 on: November 17, 2015, 05:05:32 PM »
Sri W. J. : If one realised the Self and acted up to it in the west, one would be locked up in a lunatic asylum. (Laughter).
Sri Bhagwan: You will be locking yourself in. Because the world is mad, considers you mad. Where is the lunatic asylum if it is not within. You will not be in it, but it will be in you. (Laughter). Uncertainties, doubts and fears are natural to everyone until the Self is realised. They are inseparable from the ego, RATHER  THEY  ARE  THE  EGO.
Talk--612

Dear devotees, indeed! if one realised the Self  in the west, and appeared to live and act as a Self-realised Sage in India does, such a one would certainly be locked up in prison.

Yet another from the same talk--612
D: If the ego is unreal and troublesome why did we take so much pains to develop it?
Sri Bhagwan: Its growth and the trouble consequent on such growth make you look for the cause of it all. ITS  DEVELOPMENT  IS  FOR  ITS  OWN  DESTRUCTION.

Dear devotees, do you remember the impostor in the marriage party? When his mischief grew and became too troublesome to overlook, people from both bride's as well as bride-groom's sides, launched an enquiry to find out as to who really he is, and sensing the danger the impostor takes to flight and simply disappears. Exactly similar is the case with the ego.
Pranam,
  Anil 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 05:15:10 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4460 on: November 18, 2015, 08:25:00 AM »
Sri Lucia Osborne:

Any endeavour to write about Arunachala is like 'painting the lily' to borrow an apt expression. It is impossible to present it better or more clearly than Bhagwan Himself and in this case there is no distinction between them. Arunachala in the form of Bhagwan speaks about Himself! Like  Bhagwan, the Hill comes to life and can appear to us as the beloved of our heart as an indescribable tenderness. What could be nearer and dearer than one's own Self,  O Arunachala?

"O nectar springing up in the heart of devotees---haven of my refuge?."

"The one Self, the sole Reality alone exists eternally. When even the youthful teacher of ancient times, Dakshinamurti, revealed it through speechless eloquence, who else could convey it by speech?"

Bhagwan explained that the universe is like a painting on a screen, that screen being the red Hill, Arunachala. That which rises and sinks is made up only of what it rises from. The finality of the universe is Arunachala. Meditating on Arunachala or the Self, there is a vibration 'I'. Tracing the source of 'I', the primal 'I-I' alone remains and it is inexpressible. The very first sloka in the Marital Garland of Letters expresses this tersely: "Arunachala! Thou dost root out the ego of those who meditate on Thee in the Heart, O Arunachala!" 
Source: The Silent Power

Dear devotees, what indeed could be nearer and dearer than one's own Self?  Though rising and sinking mind-made self is made up of what it rises from,  there is no alternative but to trace the Source from where it rises. Remember, tracing and merging in the Source, or the Self or Brahman, and remaining as the primal 'I-I',  is alone the Final Destination for all of us. Finality of the drop is the ocean. Onus lies on us whether we continue to identify with the drop and suffer endless pain by  getting tossed hither and thither endlessly, or we  identify with the water of the peaceful ocean , that is, whether we continue to suffer ego-mind's tyranny endlessly or  regain our lost memory  through Vichara  and realise our true Swarupa as the Immortal Atman or the Primal 'I-I'.
Pranam,
  Anil     

« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 08:29:21 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4461 on: November 18, 2015, 11:48:00 AM »
Master: "look here, my son! He who has forgotten his true nature is alternately born and dies, turning round and round in the unceasing wheel of time, like a feather caught up in a whirlwind, until he realises the true nature of the Self. If he comes to see the individual self and its substratum, the Overself, then he becomes the substratum, i.e. Brahman, and escapes rebirths. Should you know yourself no harm will befall you. As you have asked I have told you this."
V. 19&20, Kaivalya Navaneeta

Dear Devotees,

We may remember here Sri Arjuna of the Gita affirming "Nasto  mohah smrtir labdha" (My delusion has been dispelled and my memory restored by Thy Grace, O Undecaying Lord! I now stand firm, with all my doubts cleared, ready to execute Thy command.  V. 18.73, Srimad Bhagavad Gita).
So, Sri Arjuna's memory that he is the Immortal Atman and not the perishable body-mind is thus restored by His Grace. Initially, he thought that all the persons arrayed for battle, and ready to cause mutual destruction, are his own kith and kin. Obviously, the root cause for this malaise is the erroneous identification of man with the perishable body-mind in place of the Immortal Spirit. Lord Sri Krishna's instruction, as given in the Gita, restores his memory, and is now ready to execute His command to slay his enemies in battle.   

Dear devotees, caught up in the net of His Grace that we are, we must also endeavour earnestly to restore our lost memory ( smrtir labdha), by devotion and enquiry, and finally realise that we are the Immortal Atman and not the perishable body-mind.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 11:51:33 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4462 on: November 18, 2015, 12:59:08 PM »
To a questioner Sri Bhagwan said: "How do you say 'I am'? Do you take a light to find yourself? Or did you come to know it on reading books? How?"

The questioner said: "By experience."

Sri Bhagwan: Yes. Experience is the word. Knowledge implies subject and object. But experience is non-terminal, eternal. 
Talk--128

Dear devotees, in my view, the experience Sri Bhagwan speaks of above is not an ordinary experience involving a subject and an object. It is the non-dual experience. Sri Bhagwan has taught that duality is identification with the body-mind, whereas truth is we do not require these instruments to experience 'I Am'. We do not require any aid to know 'I Am' or I exist. Therefore, it follows that the experience of being or existence is the experience without the experiencer!
Pranam,
  Anil 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 01:07:03 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4463 on: November 18, 2015, 02:13:44 PM »
Get on Cheerfully with your worldly round of activities: but do not forget God. Remember. "This samsara is not mine but God". Think thus all the time you are awake. Inquire always "Who am I?"

To know Me constantly think "Who am I?"

Nana: Baba, Who is God? How will He look? Where is He? How can we see Him?

Baba: Those who toil in samsara neither understand what is right and wrong nor do they comprehend the nature of God. Pure thoughts are absent in them. Constantly being immersed in the ocean of samsara they do not have faith in devotion or in the scriptures. They don't reach God. They go towards hell.

On the other hand those who are eager to rise higher towards salvation, discard this state of bondage and begin to inquire with discretion and intelligence. They are always itching to see God. They develop bhakti towards Him and observe the laws of the Scriptures. They adopt Nama-japa and dhyana and become a sadhaka (an aspirant to reach God). They continuously move with the devout. When they reach a mature stage in their japaand dhyana they become saintly. In that stage God and Man are alike. Praise and blame are one and the same for them. Desires have left them. The thought of "I" and "Mine" are not any more there. They begin to see that their own Atma and God are the same. They realize "I am Brahman".

Dear Devotees,

Sri Baba's Teaching is a wonderful marriage of Jnana and Bhakti, the same unity that we find in and is conspicuous by its presence in Sri Bhagwan's Teaching. Guru is the Self, and the Self is God.  Vice-versa: God is none other than the Self, and the Self alone is the Guru.  There is no distinction of caste, creed and religion in the Self or God, or in the Guru.  However, sadly, an undesirable debate is raging, that too in India, whether Sai Baba was a Muslim  or a Hindu. Humbly I wish to only say that those who debate thus should have known  better! Still it should not matter even a bit for those who have irreversibly turned to spirituality or to seeking the Supreme Self or God.

Although I never considered myself competent to advise anyone, I wish to observe, in all humility, that those who  seek to know whether a great sage is a Hindu or a Muslim or a Christian,  or a South Indian or  a North Indian and so on, should enquire  as to who it is who sees these distinctions, and thereby catching hold of the culprit (the ego) and tracing its source, they should realise the Self, as Sri Bhagwan has taught. Then only their doubt as to who he is, who is Baba, and who is God, will be cleared, once and for all, as has been enjoined by Sri Bhagwan Himself.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 02:30:52 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4464 on: November 25, 2015, 06:45:34 AM »
The essence of what Bhagwan said to me in my talks with Him was:
"You say that on final analysis all that I see or think or do is one; but that really comprises two notions: the all that is seen and the I that does the seeing, thinking and doing, and says 'I'. Which of the these two is more real, true and important? Obviously the seer, since the seen is dependent on it. So turn your attention to the seer who is the source of your 'I' and realise that. THIS  IS  THE  REAL  TASK. Up to now you have been studying the object, not the subject. Now find out for what reality this word 'I' stands. Find the ENTITY which is the source of the Expression 'I'. That is the Self, Self of all selves."
This direct and simple teaching was like a tonic to me. It swept away the unrest and confusion that till then haunted my mind. It is, of course, the essence of Ulladu Narpadu and the central theme of all Bhagwan's writings. The simplicity of it made me burst out "Then Bhagwan, Self-realisation is very easy, just as you say in the poem Atma Vidya!"
Bhagwan smiled and said: "Yes, yes, it seems so at first, but there is difficulty too. You have to overcome your present false values and wrong identification. Therefore the quest requires concentrated effort and steadfast abidance in the source when this is reached."
However, even while warning me, He also added words of solace: "But don't let that deter you. The rise of the urge to seek for the 'I' is itself an act of Divine Grace. Once this urge gets hold of you, you are in its clutches. The grip of Divine Grace never relaxes and finally devours you, just as the prey in a tiger's jaws is never allowed to escape.
Source: G. L. N., pp, 111, 112; quoted here from 'Direct Teaching of Ramana Maharshi' by Sri V.  Ganesan   
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 06:55:41 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4465 on: November 27, 2015, 07:58:50 AM »
Long live Arunagiri! Long live Ramana Guru! Long live the devotees who live by the one Unique Word!

Sri Lucia Osborne: 
Any endeavour to write about Arunachala is like 'painting the lily'--to borrow an apt expression. It is impossible to present it better or more clearly than Bhagwan Himself and in this case there is no distinction between them. Arunachala in the form of Bhagwan speaks about Himself! Like Bhagwan, the Hill comes to life and can appear to us as the beloved of our heart as an indescribable tenderness. What could be nearer and dearer than one's own Self, O Arunachala?
"O nectar springing up in the heart of devotees---haven of my refuge----"
"The one Self, the sole Reality alone exists eternally. When even the youthful teacher of ancient times, Dakshinamurti, revealed it through speechless eloquence, who else could convey it by speech?"
Bhagwan explained that the Universe is like painting on a screen, that screen being the red Hill, Arunachala.  That which rises and sinks is made up only of what it rises from. The finality of the Universe is Arunachala. Meditating on Arunachala or the Self, there is vibration 'I'. Tracing the source of 'I', the primal 'I-I' alone remains and it is inexpressible. The very first sloka in the Marital Garland of Letters expresses this tersely: "Arunachala! Thou dost root out the ego of those who meditate on Thee in the Heart, O Arunachalal!"

"To quest for God elsewhere turning away from Thyself (Arunachala) is like searching for darkness with a light."

"Those who fail to visualise the one, matchless, resplendent Diamond of Arunachala are like the blind that cannot see the sun before them." 

Dear devotees, Bhagwan Sri Ramana is Sri Arunachala as the Guru Incarnate in human form. There should be no doubt over that. Sri Arunachala is Sri Ramana in mountain form.  Didn't this mysterious relationship was most authentically and impressively demonstrated by that great celestial phenomenon that happened at the time of Sri Bhagwan's Mahanirvana? In essence, both Sri Bhagwan and Sri Arunachala are truly one and the same, and that is the Supreme Self.  If this great journey can be described as a journey at all, I should say that journey to Sri Arunachala is indeed the journey for the realisation of the Self. 
Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 08:08:53 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4466 on: November 27, 2015, 08:35:28 AM »
Question: You have said here that you know no such period of sadhana; you never performed japa or chanted any mantra; you were in your natural state. I have not done any sadhana worth the name. Can I say that I am in my natural state? But my natural state is so different from yours. Does that mean that the natural state of ordinary persons and realised persons are different?

Sri Bhagwan: "What you think to be your natural state is your unnatural state. With your intellect and imagination you have constructed the castles of your pet notions and desires. But do you know who has built up these castles, who is the culprit, the real owner? The 'I' who really owns them and the 'I' of your conception are quite different. Is it necessary that you put forth some effort to come into the 'I' who owns these, the 'I' behind all states?"

"Would you have to walk any distance to walk into the 'I' that is always you? This is what I mean by saying that no sadhana is required for Self-realisation. All that is required is to refrain from doing anything, by remaining still and being simply what one really is. You have only to dehypnotise yourself of your unnatural state. Then you have asked whether there is any difference between the natural state of ordinary persons and realised persons. What have they realised? They can realise only what is real in them. What is real in them is real in you also. So where is the difference?"

« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 08:38:54 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

Hillablaze

• View Profile
« Reply #4467 on: November 27, 2015, 01:04:22 PM »
OM NAMO BHAGAVATE SRI RAMANAYA

Dear Anilji and friends,
Like many of you, I have been praticising Self-Enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagavan. I normally do it once or occasionally 2 times per day (siting down with eyes closed). However, I am not very successful in integrating the practice into my daily life. Examples: while eating, gardening, working in my office or taking walks. I find that I could not really dive deep unless I sit with eyes closed. However I feel, sitting once or twice a day is insufficient for a breakthrough.
Would appreciate if you can share your understanding and experience.
Thank you.

_/\_

_/\_

Obeisance to Bhagavan Sri Ramana

shiba

• View Profile
« Reply #4468 on: November 28, 2015, 02:38:49 AM »
 Hillablaze,

If you can practice more, you have only to practice more .  Isn't it easy solution ;). I will quote relevant portion from "Talks".

D.: When an endeavour is made to lead the right life and to concentrate thought on the Self, there is often a downfall and break. What is to be done?
M.: It will come all right in the end. There is the steady impulse of your determination that sets you on your feet again after every downfall and breakdown. Gradually the obstacles are all overcome and your current becomes stronger. Everything comes right in the end. Steady determination is what is required.

D.: But there is no incentive for want of encouragement.
M.: Does not one find some kind of peace while in meditation? That is the sign of progress. That peace will be deeper and more prolonged with continued practice. It will also lead to the goal. Bhagavad Gita - Chapter XIV - the final verses speak of gunatita (one who has transcended the gunas). That is the final stage. The earlier stages are asuddha satva (impure being), misra satva (mixed being), and suddha satva (Pure Being). Of these, the impure being is when overpowered by rajas and tamas; the mixed being is that state in which the being - satva - asserts itself spasmodically; the suddha satva overpowers rajas and tamas. After these successive stages there comes the state transcending gunas.

I think that "Breakthrough" will come only after continuing  our practice simply long long time .
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 02:43:21 AM by shiba »

Hillablaze

• View Profile
« Reply #4469 on: November 29, 2015, 03:10:55 AM »
Hillablaze,

If you can practice more, you have only to practice more .  Isn't it easy solution ;). I will quote relevant portion from "Talks".

I think that "Breakthrough" will come only after continuing  our practice simply long long time .

Thank you Shiba for your feedback and comments.

Unfortunately for many of us who have family commitment and are working full time, it is difficult to practise more...and I agree if we just limit practice to 1-2 times a day "breakthrough" will take a long long time.

_/\_
_/\_

Obeisance to Bhagavan Sri Ramana