Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758221 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #4425 on: July 01, 2015, 10:40:54 AM »
Sri Bhagwan  said to Sri Dilip Kumar Roy: People call Him by different names, but He came to me with no name or introduction so I know not how to define Him. What happened was that my desires and ego left me, how and why I cannot tell, and that I lived thenceforward in the vastness of timeless peace. Sometimes (Sri Bhagwan added with smile), I stayed with closed eyes and then, when I opened them, people said that I have come out of my blessed meditation. But I never knew the difference between no-meditation and meditation, blessed or otherwise. I simply lived a tranquil witness to whatever happened around me, but was never called upon to interfere. I could never feel any urge to do anything except TO BE, just be. I see that all is done by Him and Him alone, though we, poor puppets of maya, feel ourselves important as the doers, authors and reformers of everything! It is ineradicable ego, the I-ness in each of us, which is responsible for the perpetuation of this maya with all its attendant sufferings disenchantments.

Sri Roy: What then is the remedy?

Sri Bhagwan: Just be. Delve down into That which only is, for when you achieve this you find: 'That am I'; there is and can be nothing else than That. When you see this, all the trappings maya and make-believe fall off, evens the worn-out slough of the snake. So all that you have to do is to get to this I, the  real I behind the seeming I, for then you are rid forever of the illusive I-ness and all is attained, since you stay thenceforward as one with That which is you; that's all.

Dear devotees, Sri Roy does not seem to have grasped the import of Sri Bhagwan's Teaching of 'Just Be' and asks further thus (anil):
Sri Roy:  We have to do nothing then?
Sri Bhagwan replied thus:
Why?  You have done the greatest thing, the only thing worth doing, and when you have done this, you may rest assured that, all that has to be done will be done through you. THE  THING  IS  NOT  TO  WORRY  ABOUT  DOING; JUST  BE,  AND  YOU  WILL  HAVE  DONE  ALL  THAT  IS  EXPECTED  OF  YOU.

Sri Roy demurred: That is all very well. But who is to show us how to do this-or rather be, as you put it? Is not a guide, Guru necessary? Or are you against Guruvad (the Guru principle)?

Sri Bhagwan: Why should I be against Guruvad? (with smile) Some people evidently need a Guru; let them follow him. I  AM  AGAINST  NOTHING  EXCEPT  THE  EGO,  THE  I-NESS  WHICH  IS  THE  ROOT  OF  ALL  EVEIL. Rend this and you land pat in the lap of the one Reality, That, the one solvent of all questionings.
Source: Forever is in the Now. 

Dear devotees, just one question 'Who am I?' is indeed the one solvent of all questionings. It just ushers in the state of elusive 'Just Be', which is one solvent of all trappings of the ego-mind (maya). Indeed, Sri Bhagwan's Teaching is unique and it is wonderful to understand, grasp, and practice it, penetrating to the Core and awakening to our own Atma-swarupa or our own Reality from within ; AND   just be basking in the experience of bliss of our true identity, that is,  in truth, no identity which alone is the mighty Impersonality. 
Pranam,
  Anil               

« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 11:00:22 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4426 on: July 01, 2015, 11:54:02 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Mind is only perception and perception is mere movement in Consciousness. The expression of this movement is what we take as thoughts and actions. Whatever the mind seems to think, illusory organs of action strive to materialise grossly. 
Mind, intellect, egotism, individualised or objective consciousness, action, fancy, birth, death, tendencies, predispositions, knowledge, memory, effort, senses, organs, nature, maya, ignorance, illusion, activity and such other words and non-entities are but mere words without corresponding reality in the Infinite Consciousness which alone is the Sole Reality. All these concepts are said to have arisen when, by accidental coincidence, the Infinite Consciousness in a moment of self-forgetfulness viewed itself as the object of perception. Thus in the Infinite Consciousness, the Consciousness becomes AWARE  OF  ITSELF  AS  ITS  OWN  OBJECT,  AND  THAT  IS  THE  SEED  OF  IDEATION.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: July 01, 2015, 02:17:49 PM »
A woman puts a necklace around her neck but then becomes deluded by thinking that she has allowed it to slip off. She then feels her neck and finds her lost necklace around her neck. Attaining the Self in the Heart by self-enquiry is similar to this.
V. 884, GVK, Edited by Sri David Godman.

Dear devotees, this is a wonderful simile to describe the state of enquiry palpably, succinctly and illustratively. Sri Muruganar's Poetry is always rich in similes, and the simile he has employed to enable one to grasp enquiry is quite apt. Indeed, attaining the Self in the Heart by the Self-enquiry is akin to finding the lost necklace around the neck by FEELING it. 
Pranam,
  Anil 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 02:20:02 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: July 01, 2015, 02:46:36 PM »
Sri Bhagwan: Of course everybody, every book says, 'Be quiet or still'. But it is not easy. That is why all this effort is necessary. Even if we find one who has at once achieved the mauna or supreme state indicated by 'summa iru' ('be quiet' or 'be still'), you may take it that the effort necessary has already been finished in a previous life.
Day by Day with Bhagwan

Dear devotees, it follows from above that one who has no tale to tell whatever, and is able straightaway to stand still effortlessly all the time at all places, and even preaches others to do the same, has certainly finished the necessary effort in a previous life. If it is not so, it is mere wishful thinking. For, effort is only a ploy, a contrivance to, to make one realize that it takes no effort to remain in our natural state, and effortless state is thus attained.  Thus, effort is sine-qua-non to reach the state of effortlessness. 
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 02:48:37 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: July 02, 2015, 11:02:38 AM »
The true puja performed to the Guru by worthy disciples is the complete destruction of the false 'disciple-consciousness'. This is brought about by firm abidance in the state of 'Guru-consciousness', the experience of fullness that arises through the Heartward enquiry, 'Who is the 'I' who has been accepted as a disciple?'
V. 312, GVK, Edited by Sri David Godman

When the ice of the ego-consciousness that is limited to the form of the body dissolves in the ocean of Guru-consciousness that is the experience of the Self which exists and shines as the one savour of love, know that this is Guru-puja.
V. 315, GVK, edited by Sri David Godman

Dear Devotees,

Sri Arunachala, in essence, is the Guru-consciousness. Is it not? Guru-consciousness is ocean of Grace and full of nectar, as the Guru sang in the first Verse of the 'Arunachala Panchratna', and the Guru-consciousness is all love as He sang in the Akshramanamalai. Therefore, fittingly, even Reason commands that jiva-consciousness or the disciple-consciousness, which tragically limits us to the form of the body must be dissolved in the ocean of Guru-consciousness by Heartward enquiry, bhakti and surrender or whatever method one's Jnana-Guru teaches. If the Guru-consciousness is the ocean, undoubtedly the disciple-consciousness is the ice, and therefore, we must dissolve our limited, objective consciousness in the Infinite Guru-consciousness  who is ocean of Grace, full of nectar and all love, in the same way as the little form of the ice gets dissolved in the ocean. If thus individual-consciousness is gone what remains is the Shiva-consciousness or the Existence-Consciousness or the Self-Consciousness, which is the same as the saying that the state in which the disciple-consciousness is gone is verily the state of Guru-consciousness, for Guru is God, and Guru-consciousness is verily God-consciousness, or I-God-Consciousness.  There should not be even an iota of doubt about that.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil     
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 11:18:08 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: July 02, 2015, 02:29:13 PM »
D: Is there absolute necessity of a Guru for Self-realisation?
Sri Bhagwan: So long as you seek Self-realisation the Guru is necessary. TAKE  GURU  TO  BE  THE  REAL  SELF  AND  YOURSELF  AS  THE  individual  self. The disappearance of this sense of duality is removal of ignorance.  So long as the duality persists in you the Guru is necessary. Because you identify yourself with the body you think the Guru, too, to be some body. You are not the body, nor is the Guru. You are the Self and so is the Guru. This knowledge is gained by what you call Self-realisation.
D: How can one know whether a particular individual is competent to be a Guru?
Sri Bhagwan: By the peace of mind found in his presence and by the sense of respect you feel for him.
Talk--282     

Dear Devotees,

In my view, there is no seeking and choosing a Guru for oneself, for one does not have a choice here. If one is really drawn to divinity of one's accord, and one is sincere and earnest in seeking and knowing the Truth, I am certain that Guru's Grace is in operation and it guides such a one in the right direction though one may never have met one's Guru. Guru is at the Helm (always) and He alone decides (what, when and where) and knows the complete picture, not we.  It is indeed the sense of duality and the pathetic, pathological identification with the body that creates the urgency for seeking and finding a Guru outside of oneself. But the real Guru who appears outside to speak in the language of His devotees truly abides within as the Self. Therefore, it follows that if someone is able to take the Real Self to be one's Guru and oneself as the individual self, as taught by Sri Bhagwan, this is the sure sign that one has arrived, has found one's Guru and has been initiated, and one would come to know about His Abode too!!

Dear devotees, there is a need of an external Guru so long as one is not thoroughly awakened to the consciousness of the in-dwelling Reality within. But I wish to submit that even if sense of duality persists, but nevertheless, one is sincere and earnest, Guru appears even outside, only to end that very sense of duality and pushes the mind within from outside.  All one need do is to keep on performing one's own part of duty as Grace guides. That is all there is to it.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 02:33:22 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4431 on: July 02, 2015, 05:05:05 PM »
O Arunachala! In Thee the picture of the universe is formed, has its stay, and is dissolved; this is the sublime Truth. Thou art the Inner Self, who dancest in the Heart as 'I'. 'Heart' is Thy name, O Lord!
V. 2, Sri Arunachala Panchratna

I am blemishless, pure. I am different from the individual soul. I am Brahman only, the Self of all, resplendent as 'I'.
V. 54, Ch. 22, Ribhu Gita

He who turns inward with untroubled mind to search where the consciousness of 'I' arises, realizes the Self, and dissolves in Thee O Arunachala! Like a river when it joins the ocean.
V. 3, Sri Arunachala Panchratna

Merging the 'I' with the Supreme, O great one, abide as your own self. All this is one great illusion, non-existent. There is no doubt of this.
V. 57, Ch. 31, Ribhu Gita

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 05:07:15 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4432 on: July 05, 2015, 08:47:11 AM »
D: The fact is that God guides us. Then what is the use of these instructions to people.
Sri Bhagwan: They are for those who seek instructions. If you are firm in your belief in the guidance of God, stick to it, and do not concern yourself with what happens around you. Furthermore, there may be happiness or misery. Be equally indifferent to both and abide in the faith of God. THAT  WILL  BE  SO  ONLY  WHEN  ONE'S  FAITH  IS  STRONG  THAT  GOD  LOOKS  AFTER  ALL OF  US.

Dear Devotees,

If a blessed and graced one's faith in God is strong, and therefore, is able to abide solely by His Will, it means that such a one has no doubt and needs no further instruction. If faith in the Guidance of God is indeed firm, no question would arise. Why still then question should arise? Sri Bhagwan has taught that such a one will remain perfectly happy in his Faith in the Omnipotent and the Almighty.
But rare indeed is such a blessed and graced one who is endowed with such Firm Faith in God and His Guidance from the very beginning. And rest are not easily convinced, as I see around, of the truth of the bare statement that it is God who looks after all and that one who desires Union with Him should abide firmly by faith in Him and Him only.

Dear devotees, we are aware that such strong faith in God and His Guidance is not easily secured. Many ardent and earnest seekers may indeed ask, "Who is God? What is His nature, where is He after all and where can He be found?"  Sri Bhagwan has taught beyond doubt that in order to satisfy such ardent and earnest seekers intellectual discussion is found necessary so that truth is made clear to their intellect.

Sri Bhagwan: When the matter is understood, the earnest seeker begins to apply it practically. He argues at every moment, "For whom are these thoughts? Who am I?" and so forth, UNTILL  HE  IS  WELL-ESATBLISHED  IN  THE  CONVICTION  THAT  A  HIGHER  POWER  GUIDES  US.   THAT  IS  FIRMNESS  OF  FAITH.  Then all doubts are cleared and he needs no further instructions.

This is why Sri Bhagwan has unequivocally declared that this is an infallible sadhana or practice. If one perseveres in this all-important sadhana, soon one begins to have glimpse of that Higher Power, Sri Bhagwan speaks of, and gradually one is convinced in the conviction that, my Goodness! Indeed! It is the Self, the Atma-swarupa, the Satchidananda, who guides by holding the hand, as it were. He alone is the Teacher, none else. This is why Sri Bhagwan has taught emphatically:
"It depends on one's samskara. One may find hatha yoga suitable and another man nama japa, and so on. THE  ESSENTIAL  POINT  IS  THE  ATMA-VICHARA--ENQUIRY  INTO  SELF."

I am also certain that what I have written above will be understood rather easily by all those who have walked the Path, even a little distance.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil     
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 08:57:12 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4433 on: July 05, 2015, 02:24:23 PM »
Sri Sadhu Om:
When our sravana and manana are complete, then our nididhyasana  (self-contemplation) or atma-vicara (self-investigation) will also be complete, and we will never again leave our natural state of self-abidance. If one leaves the shade and goes out into the sun, then one has not yet adequately understood what heat is, so more sravana and manana on heat are required.
However, unlike arts and sciences, which each requires a vast amount of study (sravana), in the spiritual path the amount we need to study is very little. All we need to understand is that whatever we see outside is only our own being-consciousness projected through the lens of our mind and senses. But for us to grasp this, repeated sravana, manana and nididhyasana are required. Those who are fortunate to come to Bhagwan and to study His teachings deeply will learn more from them than they could learn from studying all other sacred texts. What is important is not to attempt to practice nididhyasana for a long duration, but to make many short but frequent attempts. If we try for a long time our attempts will merely become feebler and feebler.  What is required is strong and fresh attempts, and for that we need not sit continuously for a long time. We can make frequent attempts while doing sravana and manana.

Sri Om: The strength of conviction we gain from sravana, manana and nididhyasana  is what gives love for self-abidance. If our love for self-abidance is weak, that is because our love for other things is strong, and therefore we need more sravana, manana and nididhyasana. Sravana must go on till the very end--that is, until state of self-abidance becomes natural.
Source: Current Issue of the Mountain Path

Dear Devotees,

Sri Sadhu Om's Insights are always helpful to earnest seekers who follows Sri Bhagwan's Atma-vichara. I whole-heartedly accept Sri Om's insight  that we need not attempt to practice nididhyasana for a long duration. If we practice nididhyasana for a long period the strength of our attempt becomes weaker and feebler. Therefore, fresh attempt frequently is always advisable for the simple reason that each attempt then is strong which helps the seeker to go or penetrate deeper and deeper until the Source is reached.  Sri Om says that one can make frequent attempts while doing sravana and manana. I feel that if one constantly does sravana of and manana on Sri Bhagwan's Teaching, they themselves will sure lead one to nididhyasna incessantly. I have no doubt about that. However, I wish to submit that one can attempt to practice nididhyasana, frequently enough, for shorter duration, even while engaged in worldly activities, that is, as soon as attention is drawn back on to oneself, and one remembers who one is. As love for self-abidance grows stronger, as Sri Om put it, both number of fresh attempts whole day long (in the waking time) as well as their duration will certainly be more and more until our natural state of Self-abidance becomes effortless and spontaneous.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 02:31:15 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: July 05, 2015, 06:01:01 PM »
Sadhakas of Tiruvannamalai

A  unique species of
Burnt ropes
Who carry their bodies around
Simply and lightly
Sometimes very heavily
On hired bicycles tiny scooters or foot
In and out of ramanasramam
In and out of old hall mothers temple Samadhi hall
dining hall skandasram virupaksha
Round and round the mountain,
round and round His Samadhi,
With their own singular brand
Of grim or benign silences
And secret sustaining humour
Each working with the single lethal aim
And under tight Inner-commanded schedules
Of performing His or her own funeral rites
At Ramana's Feet
Before the body falls.

By Sri Suchitra Sathyanarayan, Source: The current issue of the Mountain Path

Dear devotees, this is a very beautiful poem, and almost captures accurately our states, predicament, countenance, and activities, while in Sri Ramanasramam.  When I saw it, I was so moved that I at once decided to post this poem under this topic so that you may go through it also.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 06:05:18 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: July 06, 2015, 05:25:25 PM »
Sri Rama asked: Lord, the infinite consciousness is transcendental; pray, tell me how this universe exists in it.

Sage Sri Vashishta replied: O Rama, this universe exists in the infinite consciousness just as future waves exist in a calm sea; non-different in truth but with the potentiality of an apparent difference. The infinite consciousness is unmanifest, though omnipresent, even as space, though existing everywhere, is unmanifest. Just as the reflection of an object in crystal can be said to be neither real nor entirely unreal, one cannot say that this universe which is reflected in the infinite consciousness is real or unreal. Again, just as space is unaffected by the clouds that float in it, this infinite consciousness is unaffected and untouched by the universe that appears in it. Just as light is not  seen except through the refracting agent, even so the infinite consciousness is revealed through these various bodies. It is essentially nameless and formless, but names and forms are ascribed to its reflections. Consciousness reflecting in consciousness shines as consciousness and exists as consciousness; yet, to one who is ignorant (though considering oneself wise and rational) there arises the notion that there has come into being and there exists something other than this consciousness.
This consciousness is not created, nor does it perish; it is eternal and the world-appearance is superimposed on it, even as waves in relation to the ocean. In that consciousness, when it is reflected within itself, there arises the "I AM" notion which gives rise to diversity. As space, the same consciousness enables the seed to sprout; as air, it draws the sprout, as it were; as water, it nourishes it; as earth, it stabilises it; and as light, the consciousness itself reveals the new life. It is the consciousness in the seed that in due course manifests as the fruit.
Thus, the world-appearance comes and goes as the very nature of the infinite consciousness. Being non-different from the infinite consciousness this world-appearance has a natural causal relationship with it--arises in it, exists in it and is absorbed in it. Though like the deep ocean it is not agitated, yet it is agitated like the waves appearing on the surface. Even as one who is intoxicated sees himself as another person, this consciousness , becoming conscious  of itself, considers itself as another.
This self, the supreme Brahman, which permeates everything, is that which enables you to experience sound, taste, form, and fragrance, O Rama. It is transcendental and omnipresent; it is non-dual and pure. In it there is not even a notion of another. All these diversities like existence and non-existence, good and evil, are vainly imagined by ignorant people. It matters not whether this imagination is said to be based on the not-self or the self itself.
Source: Yoga Vasistha, Swami Sri Venkatesananda 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 05:29:38 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: July 06, 2015, 06:19:45 PM »
Sri Bhagwan: Muladhara at the bottom, the Heart at the centre, or the head at the top or over all these, is all wrong. In one word,  TO  THINK  IS  NOT  YOUR  REAL  NATURE.
Talk--184

Dear devotees, this is complete Talk No.-184, and "to think is not your real nature" has been typed in Italics. Thinking swerves us away from our Real Nature.  To imagine muladhara at the bottom, the Heart at the Centre, or the head at the top, is all wrong.  Therefore, in my view, what the above Teaching implies is only this: Stop imagining or thinking through sravana, self-contemplation and self-investigation, and realize finally who you are. 
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 06:23:59 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4437 on: July 07, 2015, 10:17:49 AM »
                     SRI  BHAGWAN:  "TO  THINK  IS  NOT  YOUR  REAL  NATURE."

Dear Devotees,

Therefore, it is not quite correct to say, 'I think therefore I exist.'
Instead, however, those engaged earnestly and sincerely in self-contemplation and self-investigation will discern rather easily that it is other way round, that is,  'I  AM  THEREFORE   I  THINK'.

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan has taught that first we must be in order to be able to think.  Knowledge by way of thoughts is in fact the indirect knowledge, acquired through mind and senses and is therefore sheer ignorance. 'I Am', or my being, or my existence, is prior to my thinking and does not require the aid of the mind and the senses to know Itself. It is Self-shining.
 'I Am', or my pure being or existence is the ocean of infinite consciousness in which selves and myriad worlds  universes and objects are rising and subsiding like waves in the ocean. Sometimes, in the advanced stages of the sadhana of the Atma-vichara, the entire universe appears like foam floating on the periphery of consciousness. Sri Bhagwan has taught that it is only the blurred outlook which is responsible for our identification with the waves or the foam (which are mere insentient thoughts shining in the light of consciousness) rather than the ocean itself.  Even though the consciousness, like the deep ocean, is not agitated, world and myriad selves appear as the waves , and appears agitated. Even as an intoxicated person sees himself as another person, so also the consciousness becoming conscious of itself identifies with the insentient ego, body and the mind, ABANDONING  ITS   ESSENTIAL  NATURE  AS  THE  CONSCIOUSNESS.  The Ultimate Question 'Who am I ?' leads one to the revelation of the unreality of the ego-self, body and the mind,  and  to the reality of one's being or existence, that is, to the true import of 'I'. 

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 10:36:43 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: July 07, 2015, 01:27:40 PM »
Sri Dilip Kumar Roy:

Many a time He was asked, even challenged, to prove what He had seen. "Ah!" He would reply placidly, "I will answer that question if you answer mine: who is it that is asking this question?" "Who? Surely, I-So and so." "I know. But who are you?" "Me? I...I...I..." And the Maharshi would laugh. "So you see, you do not even know such a thing as your own identity, yet you presume to challenge others and their experiences. I would suggest you find out first who is the challenger and then the truth you challenge will be made manifest to you."       
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 01:30:45 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: July 08, 2015, 09:21:00 AM »
The bath in the Self is the great ablution, the daily ablution and not anything else. "I am Brahman"--This certitude is the great ablution.
V. 9-3, The Ribhu Gita

I am of the form of Myself. I am full of the Bliss of the Self. All this is, indeed, the Supreme Brahman. I am Brahman alone.
V. 9-19, The Ribhu Gita

I am, indeed, Myself. Naught else is known. All this is, indeed, the supreme Brahman alone.
V. 9-34, The Ribhu Gita

I shine of My own, by Myself, verily by Myself and by naught else. I am rooted in Myself by Myself. This is the excellent Mantra. 
V. 9-45, The Ribhu Gita
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 09:22:49 AM by eranilkumarsinha »