Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758847 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #4395 on: May 29, 2015, 12:59:31 PM »
Sri A. R. Natrajan:
The Ramana path is suited to contemporary life with all its endless stresses and strains. There is hardly much time for spiritual practice as such. The time which can be allotted to meditation is often minimal. Circumstances do not permit many to find peace through a cloistered life, to withdraw from the  world, from one's duties and avocations to find the truth. But the self-attention which Sri Ramana teaches can be practiced amidst all this din and battle of daily existence. Self-attention for however short a time acts as an undercurrent of peace which stays through the working hours. All 'idle' time, during transport or when no urgent work is on hand, can be used for promoting our attitude of inwardness. 
Source: Forever is in the Now, The Timeless Message of Sri Ramana Maharshi

Dear Devotees,

But I feel that Self-enquiry is most suited to the contemporary age of science and commerce for another reason.  Self-enquiry is the only path, I know, which does not ask us to believe in anything which we do not know, or in anything which we do not believe. This Path is not based on any heresy or make-believe. Sri Bhagwan's  Teaching never asked or entailed on anybody to believe anything that we have not already known by our own experience.  And Sri Bhagwan has Himself taught that the most self-evident experience and knowledge of everyone of us is only 'I am'. Therefore, Sri Bhagwan asks us to begin from our most self-evident experience and knowledge, that is, we should start by investigating that which we call 'I'. 

Besides, all scientific investigations start from the most self-evident truth which may be inductively called a 'premise'. If stones are thrown skyward, they have invariably returned to the earth, and it will do so next time also.  So, science starts with most self-evident truth. Likewise, Sri Bhagwan has taught through the first Magalam Verse of the Ulladu Narpadu that there cannot be any awareness of being (am) if there were not something that really exists, which is called 'I'.
Sri Bhagwan: "Can awareness of being (am) be other than what is 'I'?  or Other than what is 'I' can there be any awareness of being?"

Well, this is impeccably scientific. Is it not? HOW  CAN  THERE  BE  'AM', THAT  IS,   AWARENESS OF  'BEING' ,  WITHOUT  WHAT  IS  'I'? Hence One is 'I am'. And only One Is.

Moreover, as for the Guru, in this contemporary age, almost all gurus are enticing today innocent, unsuspecting devotees to come to them and experience guru's or god's presence. On the contrary, Sri Bhagwan has taught not to take this physical body to be guru.

Sri Bhagwan: "Do not take this body to be the guru. Do not come here expecting the guru's presence. Go within. The guru shines within you as 'I am', so He is always present in you as your own Self."

This is indeed a great assurance in this  kali age when even insincere persons are haranguing sincere persons around in guise of gurus.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   

« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 07:30:12 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Hillablaze

• View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: May 30, 2015, 08:11:43 PM »

Therefore, what I mean by the Mantra is only that I do not now like to swerve away from Vichara which is also the Goal. Holding 'I am' with effort is our 'praytana' or effort. When the same happens effortlessly, it is Realisation.

Hence the Mantra: Keep coming to 'yourself', that is, to Atma-Swarupa, free of thoughts and emotions and intellect.

Dear Anilji

Thank you very much for the clear reply. It was truly simple ! Its my mind which is complicated !!

Pranam
_/\_

_/\_

Obeisance to Bhagavan Sri Ramana

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: May 31, 2015, 11:30:32 AM »
Dear Devotees,

What follows is an excerpt from the Article 'A  WINDOW  FOR  STILLNESS'  authored by Swami Sri Dayananda:

"In those days when I was struggling to find the ground under my feet. Sri Ramana was my hope as well as the ground. I have talked about Him and His works all these years, and I have always felt that I could say something more. If I had attempted to say more, perhaps, I would have been silent.
The beauty of Sri Ramana is that you see Him as a person and at the same time you don't see Him as a person. He is sitting there in front of you with eyes open. You see Him and you keep seeing Him--only to see that the person is but a form of something STILL, not captured by known words.
WHEN  YOU  SEE  THE  STILLNESS   OF  SRI  RAMANA,  YOU  ARE  STILLNESS.  For how can you see stillness unless you yourself become stillness, a stillness that continues to be still in spite of the movements of thoughts, of limbs, of events?
Sri Ramana's Figure--His Name--IS  A  WINDOW  FOR  THAT  STILLNESS,  SILENCE. You can look through that window not merely for a hundred years, but for all time to come. You need no change, no turning away of the head. WHAT  A  WINDOW,  WHAT  A  SCENE !!"
Source: Forever is in the Now.

Dear devotees, like Sri Swami,  Sri Bhagwan is my only and only hope as well as the only ground.  Like Sri Swami, I have  only thought and talked about Him and His Teaching all these years. I have also always felt that I should attempt to say something more and at times even felt compelled from within to continue to say something more. However, I am aware that this desire to communicate my understanding and share my experience will, sooner than later, merge in the Silence which, at this stage, has become so palpable.   

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan has taught that the Guru is within, that the Guru is the Self, and that all Gurus are One.  When one has aborbed the great Teaching rather well, and this understanding has become unshakeable through His Grace and personal effort (sadhana), Guru's Name is indeed the Window  of Stillness.  The moment one remembers His Name or the moment one looks at His Form, in either case, Name and Form melt away and what remains is the all-pervading Stillness. Yes, of course, one need be still oneself to be able to grasp or capture that utterly solid Stillness, which, in other words, is the Silence of the Self.  Hail, Obeisance, Pranam, to such a One, again and again, remembering Whose Name showers Grace and at once bestows Jnana spontaneously of its own accord,   FOR  IT   IS  MYSTERIOUSLY  WINDOW  FOR  STILLNESS !! AND  WHAT  A  WINDOW!!

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil     

« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 11:48:50 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: May 31, 2015, 11:54:34 AM »
The glance of deathless sages who
Live radiant like a hundred suns
Saves those who bask in it and make
Them too immortal giving them soon
Their own Supreme awareness.

V. 1127, GVK

How true! The Glance of the Deathless One is Radiant like thousand suns! Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: June 01, 2015, 08:19:37 AM »
Prof. Sri K. Swaminathan:

"By the steady, disinterested, impersonal use of the question 'Who am I?', the devotee of the Seer (Sri Bhagwan-anil) slowly develops into His disciple. The guru without is slowly merged in the guru within. The knot of the mind, the ego-sense, which binds the real Self to the world and the body, is won out or cut off and the joyous peace of pure being is attained.
The primary ignorance consists in the identification of our Self with the body. This can and should be got rid of by the tentative acceptance and systematic practice of Bhagwan?s method of Enquiry, and the result may be seen for oneself by honest experimenter.
ALL  EARLIER  SYSTEMS  OF  MEDITATION  AND  SPIRITUAL  PRACTICES  ARE  SUPERSEDED  AND  TRANSCENDED  BY  THIS  FINAL,  ALL- COMPREHENSIVE  AND    ALL-POWERFUL  TECHNIQUE  OF  SRI  RAMANA.
"Self-reliance as commonly understood is ego-reliance and it worsens bondage. Reliance on God alone is true self-reliance because He is the Self."
All the free will that we need and ought to enjoy can be exercised in the process of experiment and enquiry, IN  THE  INFINITE  VARIETY  OF  THE  APPLICATIONS  OF  THE  QUESTION  'WHO  AM  I?"
Source: Forever is in the Now, an RMCL  publication

Dear devotees, falling in love, practicing His Presence and making steady and determined use of the Ultimate Question 'Who Am I?', devotees of Sri Bhagwan slowly but surely develop into His disciples. And an honest and sincere experimenter and investigator can never fail here because Sri Bhagwan Himself has affirmed that this is an infallible method. Every devotee applies the Enquiry uniquely, from what he has grasped  and progresses from where  he is. So, there are infinite variety of the applications of the question 'Who am I?' However, for everyone  whose Goal is the Self, and Self alone, this is the Direct Path.  Longing to know oneself is thus sure to culminate  in Fulfilment.  The Question 'Who Am I?' is also the expression of the longing deep within. 

Pranam,
  Anil

« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 08:22:18 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: June 01, 2015, 06:40:34 PM »
Sri Bhagwan: The best way for one to serve the world is to win the egoless state. If you are anxious to help the world but think you cannot do so by attaining the egoless state, then surrender to God all the world's problems along with your own.

It follows therefore that either Enquiry or Surrender is the best way to serve the world! anil

« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 06:45:08 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: June 01, 2015, 06:41:52 PM »
Prof. Sri K. Swaminathan: Not only when the moon shines brightly and the nightingales divinely sing, not only in the hushed presence of a mighty Seer, but all the time and everywhere, we should know the feeling that "the unplumbed, salty, estranging sea" of samsara is a mere surface phenomena and that we, mortal millions, are not so many separate floating islands but "parts of a single continent", all rooted in the solid and life-sustaining Ground of Being.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: June 02, 2015, 11:26:16 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Swami Sri Shantananda Puri  has written in the Chapter named 'The Quest (The Ultimate Sadhana)' of the book 'Sadhanas from Guru Vachaka Kovai' as following (a few excerpts):

"The one who does sadhana (spiritual practice), should not assume the world, which is a mere appearance, as real. It is only your own Self which is existence as also awareness that is real and can never cease to exist. One should not pursue appearances deeming them as real. One should always remain in one's true Self as existence-cum-awareness. The world, being false, has to disappear one day. It is only perceived by the illusive mind and not by the mind's source which is the Self. Hence this world can never claim any reality. Fear of this samsara (phenomenal world) is like being frightened by what looked like a snake which was actually only a rope appearing like a snake. The world appears only while awake. In the dream we may see a different world. In sleep, while all thoughts cease one sees no world. So the world cannot be real. The mind just brings out the world from itself and again the latter disappears into the mind. It is just like a spider bringing out its web from its own mouth and latter on withdrawing the web into itself."

"When one realises and sees the Self, the world is absent and when one considers the world of names and forms as real, the Self which is existence-awareness-bliss remains concealed. It is just like a mason and his son seeing a granite dog in a building. The mason only sees the beauty of the granite and wonders at it while the son sees only the dog which looks real to him and he does not see the granite at all. The one who sees the granite, does not see the dog and the one who sees the dog, does not see the granite. It is the same with this world and the Self."

"The real bliss of moksha cannot be experienced unless we refuse to allured and tempted by the world. To imagine reality into this world of unreality, is mere folly and it will be like an infatuated lover trying to foist chastity upon a prostitute. TO  FALL  AND  TO  BE  ENTANGLED  IN  THE  FALSE  ATTRACTIONS  OF  THE  WORLD  IS  ONLY  YIELDING  TO  THE  ANIMAL  WEAKNESS  FOR  SENSE  PLEASURES."

Dear devotees, I have rarely seen anywhere by anyone such beautiful dwelling on and explanation of Sri Bhagwan's Teaching, in such a simple way, and in such a simple language.
Pranam,
  Anil     
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 11:28:58 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: June 02, 2015, 01:56:31 PM »
Dear Devotees,

Quote from my post on 01.16.15:
"'the unplumbed, salty, estranging sea" of samsara is a mere surface phenomena and that we, mortal millions, are not so many separate floating islands but "parts of a single continent", all rooted in the solid and life-sustaining Ground of Being."

We must realize our own Self to see the same Self in other human beings. As long as we remain unaware of our own Being, we cannot grasp the reality of other humans simply because we have not found our own. True relationship among all creatures (humans, animals, birds, etc.) is possible only when there is an awareness of Being. Realizing our own Being, we can perceive that other selves, minds and bodies are but the veil behind which we can feel their true reality as we feel ours. Unless we ourselves do not find rooted in the Solid Ground of Being, we cannot look beyond the names and forms of others and see the Pure, Radiant Being all around. When we ourselves are in touch with our own Pure, Radiant Being, in the now, then only we are able to be aware of the others' Pure and Radiant Being, through our own, and thus transcend their names and forms along with those of ours. Therefore, either way, first we need to be aware of our own Pure, Radiant Being, and realize the Self. 

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 02:11:55 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: June 03, 2015, 04:41:08 PM »
There is a story to illustrate as to how discrimination  of the Self can be done. Michael Angelo, the famous sculptor of days of yore got some poor quality stone free of cost and he carved out a beautiful Christ out of it. Even the Pope visited him and praised him that even in his personal museum where all the oldest statues of Christ were kept, none of them equalled this in beauty. When somebody questioned Michael Angelo, as to how he was able to create such a beautiful Christ from the useless stone, Michaeal Angelo replied, "I never created a Christ. The Christ (The Self) was already there in that stone and every stone. I only chiselled out and removed the non-Christ portions from the stone and Christ alone remained."
Source: Sadhanas from Guru Vachaka Kovai

Dear Devotees,

The Self is everywhere, at all places. Everywhere and at all places, there is only the Self. Only thing we need do is to remove the illusion of non-Self, and what remains and shines forth bright is the Self.  Bondage to the non-Self is fictitious. Therefore, Sri Bhagwan has taught that if 'I' is kept up as 'I' alone it is the Self, and when it flies at a tangent and says, 'I am this or that', it is the ego, which is transitory and illusionary. So, when we practice to abide in the Self, that is, when we succeed in keeping up the 'I' as 'I' alone, and succeed in turning Self-ward by full 180 degrees, and thus once we abide in the Self, all the fictitious bondage to the non-Self snaps. Enquiry enables one to be able to exercise discrimination where one is able to sift the real from the unreal, permanent from the impermanent, and the Self from the fictitious non-Self. Our present state is mere illusion, and only disillusionment is the attainment or Goal.  Nothing more, nothing less either, for disillusionment must be removed. 

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil     
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 04:45:30 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: June 13, 2015, 08:54:25 AM »
Sri Michael James:
Whatever helps each of us individually to draw our attention back to ourself -- that is, to our fundamantal and essential self-consciousness 'I am' -- is beneficial.

However, we should be careful not to be distracted from our single goal, which is the absolute clarity of non-dual self-consciousness. Anything other than 'I am' -- whether a subtle object like a thought or a gross object like our breath -- is liable to distract us from our essentially non-objective self-consciousness.

The practice of self-attentiveness is so very simple that we really do not need anything to support it. All we need is the true all-consuming love just to know and to be our real self, which we always truly are, but from which we allow ourself to be distracted by our desires and attachments for anything other than that.

Provided that we have that love, there is nothing easier than to know and to be ourself. The sole aim and purpose of all our practice is therefore just to cultivate that love, and its inseparable counterpart, absolute freedom from desire and attachment.

Best wishes, Michael (The above was given as an answer to some question. However, I do not  exactly remember from which site I copied it long ago. anil)

Dear Devotees,

Only if we could understand and grasp that we all love only and only the Self, and nothing else whatever! Everything is dear because of our love for the Self! We are able to accept our parents, children, friends, etc. as our own, as the part of the individual self, and hence they are dear, and others who we do not accept as our own, are labelled as 'others'. In the relative world, there are seemingly others because we are unable to accept them as part of our own little self, or because we are unable to superimpose the idea of self on them. That is all. But truth is that objective individual consciousness or the little self is only a reflection of the Real Self.  So, if through supremely beneficial Enquiry we are able to reach and remain as the Real Self, that is, as 'Ourselves' that we always really are, that Self includes all and hence all are our own, as our Self, and hence everything is dear, that is, we know and remain in love with everything, for then everything is nothing other than the Self, or 'We' 'Ourselves', Pure and Simple! We must always remember that the Self-Consciousness is the only Consciousness, which is common to all!

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil     

« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 10:43:37 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: June 13, 2015, 01:02:15 PM »
Everyday Prahlada thus worshipped the lord Vishnu by thought, word and deed. As the immediate fruit of such worship, all the noble qualities like wisdom and dispassion grew in him. Lord Vishnu went to where Prahlada was worshipping him. Seeing that lord Vishnu Himself had come to the palace,
PRHLADA  prayed: I take refuge in the Lord in whom the three worlds rejoice, who is the supreme light which destroys the darkness of every kind of ignorance and impurity, who is the refuge of the helpless destitute, who  is the Lord whose refuge is worth seeking, the unborn, the surest security. You are radiant like the blue lotus or the blue jewel, your body is blue like the zenith of the clear winter sky--I take refuge in you.
THE LORD said: O Prahlada, you are an ocean of good qualities and you are indeed the jewel among demons. Ask of me any boon of your choice which is conducive to the cessation of the sorrow of birth.
PRAHLADA said: Lord, you are the indweller of all b eings and you grant the fruition of all our wishes. Pray,  grant me that boon which you consider to be limitless and infinite.
THE LORD said: Prahlada, may you be endowed with the SPIRIT  OF  ENQUIRY till you rest in the infinite Brahman, so that all your delusions might come to an end and you may attain the highest fruit. (Having said this, the Lord disappeared.)
PRAHLADA contemplated: The Lord had commanded "Be continually engaged in enquiry"; hence I shall engage myself in enquiry into the self.

Guru Sri VASISTHA to Sri Rama: O Rama, behold the self by the self through pure enquiry, even as the cool perceives the entire space. One is tossed over the waters of this illusory world-appearance like a piece of straw only as long as one does not get into the secure boat of self-enquiry.

Source: Yoga Vasistha 

« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 01:05:16 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: June 13, 2015, 03:17:26 PM »
Q: The residual impressions (thoughts) of objects appear wending like the waves of an ocean.
When will all of them get destroyed?

Sri Bhagwan: As the meditation on the Self rises higher and higher, the thoughts will get destroyed.

Q: Is it possible for the residual impressions of objects that come from beginningless time, as it were, to be resolved, and for one to remain as the pure Self?

Sri Bhagwan: Without yielding to the doubt "Is it possible, or not?", one should persistently hold on to the meditation on the Self. Even if one be a great sinner, one should not worry and weep "O! I am a sinner, how can I be saved?"; one should completely renounce the thought 'I am a sinner'; and concentrate keenly on meditation on the Self; then, one would surely succeed. There are not two minds - one good and the other evil; the mind is only one. It is the residual impressions that are of two kinds - auspicious and  inauspicious. When the mind is under the influence of auspicious impressions it is called good; and when it is under the influence of inauspicious impressions it is regarded as evil.

The mind should not be allowed to wander towards worldly objects and what concerns other people. However bad other people may be, one should bear no hatred for them. Both desire and hatred should be eschewed. All that one gives to others one gives to one's self. If this truth is understood who will not give to others? When one's self arises all arises; when one's self becomes quiescent all becomes quiescent. To the extent we behave with humility, to that extent there will result good. If the mind is rendered quiescent, one may live anywhere.

Source: Who Am I?

Dear Devotees,

When one persistently holds on to the meditation on the Self, one attains to the awareness of Being, which is the state of 'here and now', or  the Presence. If our attention is persistently focussed on the 'now', transcending the three times, past, future as well as the present, indeed no vasana or predisposition can survive. Even in the state of relativity, we do not have any thought or thoughts of problems or objects if we focus our attention intensely on this moment (the present moment). Therefore, if we learn to remain in the now persistently, all predispositions are gradually obliterated and we attain to the bliss of the mighty impersonality, remaining at home, as truly ourselves, as we really are, as mere being, for the loss of now is the loss of being. Is it not? 

When one becomes aware of one's own being, then only one becomes aware of the same being in all, AND  THUS  ONE  REALIZES  ONENESS,  UNITY.  Then only one truly understands the true import of Sri Bhagwan's Teaching:   "All that one gives to others one gives to one's self. If this truth is understood who will not give to others?"

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 03:23:38 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: June 13, 2015, 06:14:35 PM »
The world does not exist without the body; the body never at any time exists without the mind; the mind does not exist at all apart from consciousness; and consciousness too does not exist apart from being.
V. 99, GVK

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: June 14, 2015, 10:39:09 AM »
Sri Bhagwan: Talking of the 'witness' should not lead to the idea that there is a witness and something else apart from him that he is witnessing. The 'witness' really means the light that illumines the seer, the seen, and the process of seeing. Before, during and after the triads of seer, seen and seeing, the illumination exists. It alone exists always.
Day by Day with Bhagwan

It is only when you live your life taking the body alone to be 'I' that the world, consisting of moving and unmoving objects, will manifest itself.  Since, for the Self, there is complete absence of external objects, whether far or near, it is  therefore wrong to say that it is an unaffected witness.
V. 98, GVK 

Dear Devotees,

Sri  Bhagwan has taught that in 'sakshi cheta kevalo nirgunascha', sakshi MUST be understood as sannidhi or the Presence without which there could be nothing, in the first place. He has taught that though the sun is necessary for daily activities, it does not however form part of world actions. It is not involved in world actions, yet they cannot take place without it. Therefore, in the same manner in which the sun can be said to be the witness of world actions, the Self is the Witness which really means the Light of the Self which illumines the seer, the seen as well as the process of seeing. Thus the Self is the unattached Witness. However, we will do well indeed if we understand that all these appearances and disappearances appear to take place only when one takes erroneously the body to be the 'I', the real Self. When through pure enquiry one realizes  that the world of names and forms is but illusory, such a one grasps rather easily that from the stand-point of the Truth, the Self is neither the affected nor unaffected Witness, but It is the mere Presence, that is, Simple Being,  which alone exists, Single and forever. 

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 11:06:05 AM by eranilkumarsinha »