Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 756841 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #4365 on: April 19, 2015, 02:05:29 PM »
Dear Devotees,

I am in New Delhi on an official visit, and I do not know when I will be able to return Patna, my home city.  However, though I am not able to visit this forum when I am on an official tour, I wish to add that during such times, I am able to realise the truth of Sri Bhagwan's Teaching that work is not a hindrance to  spiritual pursuit or sadhana. 

Sri Bhagwan Ramana is the Embodiment of Peace and Silence. It is not the ordinary silence of the mere speech and tongue, nor is it the inert silence of the stone, but it is the supreme, dynamic and divine Silence of the Self, which is our own Reality

And as I have always said, those seekers of truth who are drawn  irresistably to  the Lotus Feet of Sri Bhagwan, love Him, worship Him,  know Him as their supreme Jnana-Guru,  and are attracted to His Teaching on Silence and Vichara, MUST  SEEK, WITHOUT  LOOSING  FURTHER  TIME,  AFTER  THAT  DIVINE  SILENCE.

Dear devotees, I am certain that a sincere and earnest seeker can even feel that divine Silence sinking deeper and deeper with every visit to Sri Ramnasramam. Once the contact is established with the Inner Silence, Sri Bhagwan has  spoken of, and is immersed in the Silence that is Bliss or Peace , nay Atma  or the Self Itself,  one understands that the Enquiry into that divine Silence is but the enquiry 'Who am I?' or 'Whence am I?' or 'Summa Iru or Stand Still.'  It also follows that if one has contacted the Inner Silence, sadhana continues and one progresses even amid hectic activities, for actions then are mostly intuitive.

Therefore, those who love Sri Bhagwan must enquire and be immersed in that divine, inner silence which alone really is our truth, and in which lies our salvation.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   

« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 02:09:08 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4366 on: April 19, 2015, 04:22:53 PM »
Q: Is the world progressing now?
Sri Bhagwan: There is one who governs the world, and it is His look-out to look after the world. He who has given life to the world, knows how to look after it also.
If we progress, the world progresses. As you are, so is the world. Without understanding the Self, what is the use of understanding the world? Without Self-knowledge the knowledge of the world is of no use. See the world through the eyes of your supreme Self. 

Q: It is harder for Westerners to withdraw inwards?
Sri Bhgawan: Yes, they are rajasic, the energy going outwards. We must be inwardly quiet, not forgetting the Self. Then externally we can go on with our action. Does a man who is acting on the stage in a female part, forget that he is a man? Similarly we too must play our parts on the stage of life, but we must not identify ourselves with those parts.
You may carry on with your government work; you may continue to live the married life in the world as before. You may assume the stage which transcends all stages, only do not forget the One. Keep your mind on that all the time, whatever you happen to be doing.

Dear devotees, a man playing a female on a stage never forgets that he is a man. But alas! We forget that we are playing man, woman, father, brother, engineer, doctor, et al, in a great drama on the stage of life, and are never tired of identifying with those parts or roles we are ordained to play. It is indeed a great game of pretension in which all actors are pretending to be what they are not, and remain oblivious of their Atma-swarupa birth after birth.  HENCE,  THE  NEED  OF  THE  ENQUIRY.

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 04:24:59 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4367 on: April 25, 2015, 04:27:32 PM »
Dear Devotees,

I am back in Patna, the capital of the state of Bihar, and once again experienced severest trembling of everything around. Yes, I had been sitting in my office which is situated on the third floor of the office building, and had been  writing something on a paper, when I suddenly felt the shock. Earth quaked  beneath the building and the floor trembled and slipped beneath my feet. Everybody ran helter-skelter in frantic effort to come out of the building as soon as possible. Though a friend of mine forced me out of the building also, and I followed the suit as well, but nevertheless, I remained inwardly calm and silent amidst the turmoil. I felt that the tremor hit this ancient city of Patliputra, the great Capital of the Maurayans (Emperor Ashoka the Great and Chandragupta Mauraya), at least  thrice  in succession, in diminishing intensity. My office was closed and everybody was asked to go home. However, no casualty or loss of lives and property has been reported from the city so far, though hundreds of People have been killed in Nepal and hundreds of people are feared to be buried under debris. Report of death and loss of properties from other parts of North India have not been fully assessed so far.

People are still apprehensive because the epicentre of the tremor has been located in Pokhra, Nepal, adjacent to North Bihar, and the intensity of the tremor, on the Ritcher's scale, has been measured to be 7.5, located danderously  just 15 K.M. below the surface of the earth in stead of a few hundred K.M. Therefore, after-shocks may continue to hit this part of our country for some more time.

Dear devotees, I wish to tell you that though I worried a little for my kith and kin who are in New Delhi, I am not worried  at all for myself, for I have total faith in the Munificent Grace of Bhagwan Sri Ramana which ensures that my inner silence is not disturbed, whatever the circumstances!

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil     
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 04:31:45 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

latha

• View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: April 26, 2015, 03:51:40 AM »
Dear Anilji,

I am glad to hear you are okay. It is sad to see all the destruction in Nepal. I pray to Bhagavan for all the people affected by this earthquake.

Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4369 on: April 26, 2015, 08:54:21 AM »
Anilbhai,
Good to hear from you and that all is well with you and family.
Namaskar

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #4370 on: April 26, 2015, 12:36:17 PM »

Anil

Glad to note that you and your family are safe .

Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: April 27, 2015, 11:47:14 AM »
Dear Anil,

We are happy that you are safe.  You will join your family in Patna soon. Sri Bhagavan is everywhere.
In fact, we are all in Bhagavan.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: April 28, 2015, 09:14:11 AM »
I was imagining a conversation between Sri Bhagavan and a devotee on the subject of Nepal earthquake:

Talks No. xyz:

Devotee: Bhagavan! What do you think of Nepal earthquake?

Bhagavan:  From a purely Jnani's point of view, the earthquake and the sufferings on account of that are unreal, since the
whole world is unreal and is only an appearance, mithya. But from Vyavaharika view, (the auxiliary truth), the tragedy
and the sufferings are true and each one should try to help the oppressed to the extent possible.

Devotee:What does Sri Bhagavan think?*

(Bhagavan knows the inner agenda of the person.  He wants Bhagavan to affirm whether He is a Jnani.)

Hence Bhagavan did not reply!

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: May 04, 2015, 12:55:54 PM »
Dear Sri latha ji, Sri Ravi  bhai saheb, Sri atmavichar 100, and Sri Subramanian Sir,

THANK  YOU.

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4374 on: May 04, 2015, 01:00:07 PM »
D: Can it be complete happiness to remain Self-realised if one does not contribute to the happiness of the world? How can one be so happy when there is a war in Spain, a war in China? Is it not selfishness to remain Self-realised without helping the world?
Sri Bhagwan: The Self was pointed out to you to cover the universe and also transcend it. The world cannot remain apart from the Self. If the realisation of such Self be called selfishness that selfishness must cover the world also. It is nothing contemptible.

Talk--487

D: Why does God permit suffering in the world? Should He not with His omnipotence do away with it at one stroke and ordain the universal realisation of God?
Sri Bhagwan: Suffering is the way for Realisation of God.
D: Should He not ordain differently?
Sri Bhagwan : It is the way.
D: Are Yoga, religion, etc., antidotes to suffering?
Sri Bhagwan: They help you to overcome suffering.
D: Why should there be suffering?
Sri Bhagwan: Who suffers? What is suffering?
No answer!
Talk--107

Dear Devotees,

I have also suffered much in this mundane life. Suffering, I know now, is not real but mere thought, but which compels introspection; and thus suffering, in my view, strengthens spirit of enquiry. Despite seemingly placed well in the society, calamities, dire circumstances and impossible predicament never allowed me to experience real joy and happiness in my worldly life.  That there is no real happiness in the mundane life of relativity or 'dwanda or duality' is  altogether a different matter. Yes, I have understood deeply, beyond doubt, that SUFFERING  IS   INDEED  THE  WAY  for  one's supreme good.  HENCE  THIS  SUFFERING! I know, also beyond doubt, that but for the nagging pain and sorrow, I would  never have  reached the Lotus Feet.

Dear devotees, realisation of the Self is not selfish, because nothing, including all jivas and the world and its objects, is apart from the Self, for the Self is all. It follows that if the Light of the Self beckons someone, and one is seized with divine fervour to find out the truth behind one's own existence, and Grace takes one to investigation of the Self, such a one can never identify oneself with the little ego-self, limited to the gross or subtle bodies. Therefore, not only a perfect Jnani, established in Nishtha and Beatitude, but also one who has understood, intellectually, intuitively and experientially that the Self is all inclusive, can never be selfish. That is for certain.

Dear devotees, having said as above, I wish to add that I experienced grief, which I had not been able  to reconcile with for some time, after the heart breaking,  cataclysmic and catastrophic  happenings in recent days,  when I witnessed and experienced death and destruction in my close proximity all round on such a nauseating scale. This is how I felt after the grievous events. However,  Sri   Bhagwan's  Teaching of the Atma-vichara is the only Hope which has given us assurance that ours is an eternal Life truly! This is, in my view, true for all those also who tragically succumbed to the destiny. When ours is the Life Eternal, where is the real question of life and death? Real Question is only one alone, and that is, "Who Am I?"

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil         
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 01:19:13 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4375 on: May 04, 2015, 01:27:37 PM »
He really sees who perceives the Supreme Lord alike in everything--as the Imperishable Substance abiding amidst perishing phenomena.
V. 27, Ch. 13, Srimad Bhagavad Gita

For, he who perceives the Lord's Presence alike everywhere no longer works against his own spiritual well-being (by mistaking the ego for the true spiritual Self as men in ignorance do). He therefore attains to the Supreme Goal.
V. 28, Ch. 13, Srimad Bhagavad Gita

He is the real seer who perceives that Prakriti (i.e. one's body-mind born of Prakriti) alone is doing all works and that the Atman, the true spiritual Self, is the actionless Witness.
V. 29, Ch. 13, Srimad Bhagavad Gita

When one perceives the manifold objects as centred in the One and as evolved from It as well--then he attains Brahman.
V. 30, Ch> 13, Srimad Bhagavad Gita

That highest Self, being the immutable and unoriginated Spirit beyond Nature, is free from all action and stain, though dwelling in the body.
V. 31, Ch. 13, Srimad Bhagavad Gita

Just as the all-pervading Akasa, because of its subtlety, is not stained by anything, so this Atman, though abiding in all bodies, is never affected by any impurity.
V. 32, Ch. 13, Srimad Bhagavad Gita

Dear Devotees,

We are aware that though the Self alone is the Source of everything that appears and disappears and of all action and phenomena whatsoever, and He functions through the Prakriti, He is not affected by them. Prakriti or Nature is His Power which though can be distinguished from Him, cannot be, and should not be, treated as different from Him.
Therefore, our real Self is unattached to, and unaffected by, whatever happens in or to the world, including the heart-breaking calamities that befall on humanity from time to time.

In essence, we are the Self and not the transient selves. Even the spiritual aspirant who has contacted his real Self, though not yet is fully realised, no longer identifies with the ego-self anymore, and therefore, participates progressively in that divine aloofness, unaffectedness and non-attachment, and is intuited to remain inwardly silent and unaffected by the ever happening world transformations, for such a one who realises this truth that all is Self or Brahman, will never desire to remain entrenched in the limited, treacherous, phantom-like ego-self, which alone is the experiencer of all joys and sorrows. Is it not?

Dear devotees, what I have said above should not at all, for God's sake, be interpreted to mean that an aspirant should not have love and compassion for, and should not reach out to, the suffering humanity. Sri Arunachala is the Self, but when He incarnated in Human Form as Sadguru of the age, as Bhagwan Sri Ramana, He was the Embodiment of love and compassion, and showered love, grace and compassion on all sentient, living beings, including birds and plants. However, we know that Sri Bhagwan remained largely unattached to and unaffected by  the cataclysmic events taking place then in the world around Him in 1930s.

Dear devotees, I feel that all this happens rather naturally, like change in season which happens imperceptibly. When one progresses in sadhana and becomes aware of one's own real Self or the Spiritual Heart as the real Source of all objects and phenomena, or when one progresses in sadhana of the Atma-vichara, revelation of the unreality of the ego-mind begins to dawn.  One begins to realise that the Self Himself appears as the world, and whatever appears is really Shiva-Swarupa.   AND  WHEN  THE  WHOLE  WORLD  IS  THE  SELF,  AND  THERE  IS  NO  OTHER,  LOVE  AND  COMPASSION  ARE  INSTANTANEOUS  AND  SPONTANEOUS,  WITHOUT  THOUGHT,   WHENEVER  ONE  HAPPENS  TO  SEE  ANY  SUFFERING  ANYWHERE,  ANYTIME.

Thanks very much.
 Pranam,
   Anil               

« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 01:32:32 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4376 on: May 16, 2015, 07:24:43 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan  taught that one should give oneself up to the cause of one's being. This alone is true surrender.  Where is that cause or source? It is a great delusion to imagine such source outside of ourselves. That source or cause from where our I-ness as well as the breath are arising is verily within us. Yes, it is indeed strange that we imagine such source out of ourselves. How can that be? Our source is within, and therefore, it follows that all we need do is to seek our source within ourselves and merge in it.   

Thus, Sri Bhagwan has taught: "Who is to surrender what and to whom?" and also: "Thus-you see-Devotion is nothing more than knowing oneself."

Thus, Sri Bhagwan has revealed that the father of the personal self is the Self of all, and that is our true Swarupa, i.e. Atma-swarupa.  Sri Bhagwan has thus revealed that the father of the so called personal 'I' is I-GOD.  Did great Sage Sri Kabir also not exhort? "Where to seek Him Bande, He is not in temples, mosques, etc., He is within." This is engraved in our consciousness.         

Thus, dear devotees, all we need  understand and realise is that there is nothing greater than timeless and spaceless ?We?.  How can anything, which is within the compass of our vision, be greater than timeless and spaceless 'We'? Only the Formless Pure Consciousness 'I Am' can be the source of the objective, limited and petty consciousness the form of which is 'I am so and so'.  It is indeed pity if we still, after reaching the Lotus Feet, cannot discern that 'so and so' is merely an adjunct, that the form 'so and so' is superimposed on the substratum of formless consciousness 'I am', giving seemingly false birth to the ego of the form 'I am so and so', in which 'I am' is the sentient part and 'so and so' is the insentient component.   

This objective world, in my view, is the kingdom of thoughts where the 'I'-thought is parading smugly as the king! Is it not?  But we are conscious beings, nay, consciousness itself, and we can never deny that. Sri Bhagwan has taught that this consciousness is the eternal being and the only Being, and therefore to 'BE' is to realise.

What is the implication of it all? If you will ask me, my mantra is only one. Myriad thoughts led by the 'I'-thought is casting a veil over our real nature. So, thoughts must go away any way. How? If we learn to maintain attention onto ourselves, gradually thoughts surely disappear and stillness prevails. This is to 'BE' and we realise that Be-ing is our true nature, our Atma-swarupa.

Moreover, Sri Bhagwan has shown clearly that there is continuity in all three states of sleep, waking and dream. What is that continuity? It is only the state of pure being. Our state of pure being is alone permanent, the body and the world are not.

Dear devotees, if prompted from within to write something, I would write what I myself have tenaciously followed  and love most. What is that? It is:
Enquire 'Who am I?, and go deeper. Gradually, thoughts will begin to disappear giving glimpse of that which is, which is the state of being. Stillness prevails more and more and finally clouds  are disbursed, AND  AT  LONG  LAST  ONE  IS  FACE  TO  FACE  WITH  THE  CHIDAKASA  OR  THE  BLISSFUL  STATE  OF  BEING, THAT  EXPANSE, AND  THAT  IS  THE  CULMINATION  OF   THE  STATE  OF  ENQUIRY  ALSO.   

Sri Bhagwan: Be-ing is Siva in His true Nature.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 07:41:41 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4377 on: May 16, 2015, 10:57:09 AM »
Q: Do I not need a guide to see God?

Sri  Bhagwan: Who was your guide to see Ramana Bhagwan? With whose guidance do you see the world daily? Just as you are able to see the world yourself so also you will be able to see your 'Self' if you earnestly strive to do so, your 'Self' alone being your guide in that quest also.

Dear devotees, Self is not alien to us, but It is verily 'US'.  When such is the reality, where to seek a guide? It all depends only and only on how sincere and earnest we are in our striving to knowing and being the Self that we always are.  Though it may sound paradoxical  to some, it is absolutely true that there can be no better Guide and Teacher than the Self to find the Self, for it beckons and whispers! Sincere and earnest striving attunes one to the silent teaching of the Self. and that is the end of seeking perennially a Guide outside of oneself. Self is the Guru  and in my view,  there is really no need to distinguish between the Inner and Outer Ones, for both are the Self only. 
Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 11:00:11 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4378 on: May 17, 2015, 08:13:22 AM »
Q: Why is Atmavichara necessary?
Sri Bhagwan: If you do not make Atma-vichara (investigation into the Self-Anil),then lokavichara (enquiry into the world) creeps in. That which is not seen is sought but not that which is obvious. When once you have found what you seek for, enquiry also ceases and you rest in it.
Q: What meditation will help me?
Sri Bhagwan: No meditation on an object is helpful, for this reason.  You must learn to realise the subject and object as one; and in the meditating on an object, whether concrete or abstract, you are destroying that sense of oneness, and creating duality. Meditate only on the Self. Try to realise that the body is not you, the emotions are not you, the intellect is not you. When all these are stilled, you will find?something else is there; hold it that it will reveal itself.
Q: But when I have stilled all I almost fall asleep?
Sri BHagwan : That does not matter. Put yourself into the condition as deep as sleep, and then watch; be asleep consciously; then there is only one Consciousness.
Q: Is yoga a good method of approach?
Sri Bhagwan: In the end there is only one approach to the Goal, and that is through the realisation of the Self, so why waste time on other roads which at the best will only lead on to the final path; better to be on the final path itself all the time, than on an auxiliary road. Meditate on what the Self is; that is all, there is nothing else but to find the answer to that. See the Self in all; act spontaneously, so to speak, and let 'it' be present and it will be available. Do not  look to results; do what is right and leave it.
Source : Conscious Immortality

Dear Devotees,

Quote from the above Teaching:
"No meditation on an object is helpful, for this reason."

So long as one is on an auxiliary road, danger is always there to get lost in some unknown region. Therefore, one need be wary! Sri Bhagwan taught that no meditation was helpful 'for this reason'.  Danger of seeking 'that which is not seen but not that which is obvious' in auxiliary practices will always be lurking behind. Our existence is the only certainty, here and now.  Our attention need be drawn to this truth alone.  Once our attention is drawn to this truth, with intellectual and a little experiential clarity, lo! there is no looking back, one is verily on the Direct and Straight path! 

Quote from the above Teaching:
"Meditate on what the Self is; that is all, there is nothing else but to find the answer to that. See the Self in all; act spontaneously, so to speak, and let ?it? be present and it will be available. Do not  look to results; do what is right and leave it."

Dear devotees, as far as practice is concerned, the above, for me, has been the Supreme Teaching, and  I feel that those who practice Enquiry should follow and practice it in spirit and letter.  This is the Essence of the Mahayoga which includes essence of all yogas--Vichara, bhakti, raja and karma.

Pranam,
  Anil   

« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 08:17:33 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4379 on: May 17, 2015, 09:08:12 AM »
Sri Bhagwan :
One Self is always real, always and eternally existent, whether we are aware of it or not. Hence it is better to seek that, because the other self-bodies are conditionally real.

An ordinary Christian is only satisfied when told that God is in some far off heaven, not to be reached by us unaided, that Christ alone has known Him and he alone can save us. Hence when told the simple truth that the kingdom of heaven is within you, he is not satisfied and will read far- fetched meanings in the statement. Mature minds alone can grasp the simple truth in all its nakedness.      
From Talks
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 09:09:45 AM by eranilkumarsinha »