Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758845 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #4275 on: March 01, 2015, 06:55:04 AM »
D: Since Realization is not possible without vasanakshaya, how am I to realise that State in which the vasanas are effectively destroyed?
M: You are in that State now!
D: Does it mean that by holding on to the Self, the vasanas should be destroyed as and when they emerge?
M: They will themselves be destroyed if you remain as you are.
D: How shall I reach the Self?
M: There is no reaching the Self. If Self were to be reached, it would mean that the Self is not here and now but that it is yet to be obtained. What is got afresh will also be lost. So it will be impermanent. What is not permanent is not worth striving for. So I say the Self is not reached. You are the Self; you are already That. The fact is, you are ignorant of your blissful state.
Ignorance supervenes and draws a veil over the pure Self which is Bliss. Attempts are directed only to remove this veil of ignorance which is merely wrong knowledge. The wrong knowledge is the false identification of the Self with the body, mind etc. This False identification must go, and then the Self alone remains.
Therefore Realization is for everyone; Realization makes no difference between the aspirants. This very doubt, whether you can realise, and the notion ?I have- not-realised? are themselves the obstacles. Be free from these obstacles also.

Maharshi's Gospel

Dear Devotees,

The Self is bliss, pure and simple. Being always the Self we cannot therefore but be bliss, pure and simple. Self is ever realised, never non-realised. Being so, how can we say that we are not realised, that there is no happiness? Who says those things or anything at all, in the first place? It is the false, insentient ego which says so.  The Self does not say anything. It is that being-consciousness through which all these sayings, talking, thinking, discussing, and for that matter, everything, are taking place.         
Therefore, 'I have not realised', or 'I am not happy', etc, is only an insentient thought, shining in the light of the Self, Self Itself remaining unattached all the time. That is all one needs to understand really and gain firm conviction.

Hence, yes, we being the Self cannot say we are not realised and we are unhappy and we are doing sadhana to get rid of all these false pretences. If all that exists is the Self and utterly nothing whatsoever other than the Self, who is doing what to achieve what end? It is all a great game of pretension. Is it not?
FOR,  THAT  WHICH  SAYS  SO  CANNOT  BE  THE  SELF!  IT  IS  THE  NON-SELF  WHICH  SAYS  SO.  Are we the non-Self? No, it is really absurd to say so. The Gita says 'Nasato vidyate bhavo', non-Self has no existence, no being whatever at all.

If only we discern this, it will certainly become obvious at once that our only and only duty indeed is to GET  RID  OF  the non-existent non-Self. If we get rid of the non-existent non-Self, that is what the ego is, WE  ARE  THE  EXISTENCE,  PURE  AND  SIMPLE.  Getting  rid of that which says must be got rid of to remain as simple Existence-Consciousness, which does not think or say even 'I'.

This is why the word 'abidance' assumes great importance on the great Path of Vichara. If we sincerely and earnestly seek our source,  the pseudo 'I' takes to flight, being unreal, and one abides in and as the One which does not say even 'I', and which in truth is the import of 'I' or the Mahavakya. Rather than getting involved in the concrete and mental world, we transcend the mind and know the Swarupa, and Sri Bhagwan has taught that knowing is being.   

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   

« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 07:02:32 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: March 01, 2015, 08:37:39 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Can we say that we are not aware of the Self-consciousness? Consciousness or Awareness is but One.

Have we not known so far that the 'I'-thought springs forth and sinks?

The inner quest, the Atma Vichara, no doubt, starts with a thought, a mental activity or concept, that is, 'I'-thought. But what we forget is this that we have the inescapbale 'I' to start with, which though a mere reflection, is not apart from the Source, which is our own Swarupa and not some faraway align Entity.

Therefore, in the Inner Quest or the Atma Vichara, we learn to dive and go deeper into our Core. What happens then?

THE  'I'-THOUGHT  DISAPPEARS  AND  THERE  IS  AN  INFINITELY  EXPANDED  'I'-CONSCIOUSNESS  THAT  WE  REALLY  ARE.  We really are not the utterly limited, fleeting, ephemeral and objective 'I'-consciousness, but unlimited, eternal, all-pervading, unchanging, subjective INFINITELY  EXPANDED  'I'- CONSCIOUSNESS.

Dear devotees, I am not a teacher, and never sought to teach anybody. I have always considered myself only a very ordinary devotee who is seized to find the truth of that which we call 'I'. For instance, I wrote the above only because following Enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan and contemplating thus, due to His Grace, I had been able to contact the Self-awareness beyond doubt. Therefore, if this grateful soul, at this stage, feels like expressing and affirming itself, what else should I write?   Can anyone among you will be kind enough and respond to this query above?

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 08:41:46 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: March 01, 2015, 10:21:04 AM »
Sri Bhagwan to a housewife: What are you? You are not the body. You are Pure Consciousness. Grihastha dharma and the world are only phenomena appearing on that Pure Consciousness. It remains unaffected.  WHAT  PREVENTS  YOU  FROM  BEING  THE  SELF?
 D (Housewife): YES  I  AM  ALREADY  AWARE  OF  THE  LINE  OF  TEACHING  OF  MAHRSHI.  It is the quest for the Self. But my doubts persists if such quest is compatible with grihastha (house-holder's) life.
Sri Bhagwan: The Self is always there.  IT  IS  YOU.  There is nothing but you. Nothing can be apart from you. The question of compatibility or otherwise does not arise.
Source: Talks

Dear devotees, what prevents us from being the Self is the non-Self which has no being whatever.  If we see the real sun reflection will cease to happen. If we hold the Real, the unreal cannot trouble us.  Question of compatibility or non-compatibility does not arise  because we are already That; only thing is our attention somehow need to be drawn  to our consciousness of existence or  'Sat' which is not completely veiled, for we have ever-present, undeniable 'I'-consciousness to start with.  HOW CAN  THE NON-SELF WHICH HAS NO EXISTENCE  CAN SURVIVE THE ONSLAUGHT OF THE ENQUIRY?  How can snake in the rope survive the light of the powerful Searchlight? Yes, dear devotees, the non-Self is destroyed by the Searchlight of the Vichara in the same way as the snake in the rope is destroyed by investigation in the clear light. Sri Bhagwan said this was one infallible method by means of which we can rather easily transcend the mind, just like Lord Sri Rama who killed Valli from behind the hiding place, for Valli's strngth would have doubled if Lord would have sought to kill him face to face!     
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 10:33:14 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: March 01, 2015, 02:26:56 PM »
Anil/Friends,

Dear devotees, I am not a teacher, and never sought to teach anybody. I have always considered myself only a very ordinary devotee who is seized to find the truth of that which we call 'I'. For instance, I wrote the above only because following Enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan and contemplating thus, due to His Grace, I had been able to contact the Self-awareness beyond doubt. Therefore, if this grateful soul, at this stage, feels like expressing and affirming itself, what else should I write?   Can anyone among you will be kind enough and respond to this query above?

Anilbhai,You are indeed blessed.Please share whatever you feel inspired to share.Here is an excerpt from 'In the hours of meditation' -by a Disciple(F J Alexander) :

There are hours when one forgets the  world. There are hours when one  approaches that region of blessedness in  which the soul is Self-contained and in the  presence of the Highest. Then is silenced  all clamouring of desire ; all sound of  sense is stilled. Only God IS. There is no holier sanctuary than a  purified mind, a mind concentrated upon  God. There is no more sacred place than  the region of peace into which the mind  enters when it becomes fixed in the Lord. No more sweet-odorous and holy incense  is there than the rising of thought unto  God.
Purity, bliss, blessedness, peace ! Purity, bliss, blessedness, peace ! These  make up the atmosphere of the state of meditation.
The spiritual consciousness dawns in  these silent, sacred hours. The soul Is close to its source. The streamlet of  personality expands in these hours, becoming a mighty, swift-moving river, flowing in the direction of that true and permanent individuality which is the Oceanic Consciousness of God. And this is one and only.
In the hours of meditation the soul draws from On High those true qualifications which are of its nature- fearlessness, the sense of reality, the sense of deathlessness.
Draw within thy Self, O soul ! Seek thou the silent hour with truth. Know thou thy Self to be of the substance of truth, the substance of divinity ! Verily within the heart doth God dwell !

Those interested in reading this wonderful book may look here:
https://archive.org/details/inhoursofmeditat00discrich

Namaskar
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 03:16:06 PM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: March 01, 2015, 02:36:29 PM »
Anil/Friends,

Here is a small writeup on F J Alexander who anonymously wrote the series of articles in the magazine 'Prabuddha bharata' that later on was issued as a small book:'In the Hours of Meditation'-by a disciple

IN THE HOURS OF MEDITATION by FRANK ALEXANDER

PREFACE
The present book, originally published under a modest pseudonym, came from the pen of F.J. Alexander, whose promising career has been cut short by the cruel hand of death. His early years were spent in the nunnery of Omaha in Nebraska, U.S.A., where he received his first education. But the cloistered atmosphere of an old-world nunnery became too much for a boy of his spirits, and he made good his escape to enjoy the freedom of the wider world. He began life as a bell-boy at a hotel in an American city, and after various turns of fortunes entered a newspaper office, where he showed himself as a good and impressive writer. But all along he had been seized with a great spiritual unrest, which knew no quietude till he came across, by chance, some  writings of the Swami Vivekananda, which opened the vista of a new world before him. The call of his Master-The Swami Vivekananda was henceforth regarded by him as such-was so strong that he afterwards sailed for India to consecrate himself to the service of the Order founded by him.

Mr. Alexander came to the Math at Belur in 1911, and the joined the Advaita Ashram at Mayavati. Here he threw himself heart and soul into work and rendered invaluable help in bringing out a Life of the Swami Vivekananda, by which his name will be immortalised. He was also an attractive writer-anonymously or under various pseudonyms-to the Prabudha Bharata, from which these pages have been reprinted. From Mayavati he went to Almora to live a more intense spiritual life. After two years of stay there, he went back to America to recuperate his failing health, and there succumbed to tuberculosis in 1917.

Whoever came in contact with him was struck by his vigorous mind and childlike heart, and it is wonderful to see how deeply he was imbued with the Indian spirit and ideals. The following pages, clearly reflecting his inner life, show depth of his spiritual fervour.

May this Disciple's thoughts rising 'in hours of meditation' serve as a beacon-light to thousands of kindred spirits struggling for Realization.

Published by
Swami Vandananda
President, Advaita Ashram
Mayavati, Pithoragarh, Himalayas

This book is available for a mere Rs 20/- at R K Mutt,Chennai.It is yet to be published in kindle format by the mutt.
Namaskar
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 03:17:35 PM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: March 01, 2015, 02:50:51 PM »
Here is another excerpt from 'In the Hours of Meditation':

Fear not ! All mortal things are as shadows. Unreality dominates all appearance. Thou art the reality within which no change abides. Know thou art the Immovable One ! Let nature play with
thee as nature will. Thy form is a dream. Know this, and be thou content ! Thy soul is stationed in the formlessness of Divinity. Let the mind follow the blinking light, desire rules, limitations exist. Thou art not mind ; desire touches thee not. Thou art contained within Omniscience and Omnipotence. Remember life is but a play. Play thy part. Thou must. Such is thelaw.Yet,withal, thou art neither player, play nor law. Life itself cannot limit thee. Art thou not limitless ! Life is of the stuff of dreams. Thou dreamest not. Thou art the Dreamless One beyond the touch and taint ot unreality. Know this ! Know this and be free free free ! ! !

Peace ! Peace ! Silent, audible Peace ! Peace wherein the Voice of God is heard. Peace and Silence ! Then comes the Voice of God, audible audible within the Silence !

"I am with thee, ever, and for ever. Never hast thou been nor canst thou be from Me apart. I am thy Soul. Verily thy Soul is I. Beyond the universe, be- yond all dreams Irest,Selfcontained within immensity. And even so art thou ; aye,even so art thou. For I am thou and thou art I. Leave off all dreams ! Come ! Come unto Me ! I shall carry thee across the ocean of darkness and ignorance unto light and life everlasting. For I am these ; and thou and I are One. Thou art I ! I am thou ! Go dwell in Peace ! Dwell thou in Peace ! Again when the hour cometh, in the stillness and in the Peace thou shalt hear My Voice !  - the Voice of God-the voice of God !

Namaskar

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: March 02, 2015, 10:02:06 AM »
Quote:
"I am with thee, ever, and for ever. Never hast thou been nor canst thou be from Me apart. I am thy Soul. Verily thy Soul is I. Beyond the universe, be- yond all dreams Irest,Selfcontained within immensity. And even so art thou ; aye,even so art thou. For I am thou and thou art I. Leave off all dreams ! Come ! Come unto Me ! I shall carry thee across the ocean of darkness and ignorance unto light and life everlasting. For I am these ; and thou and I are One. Thou art I ! I am thou ! Go dwell in Peace ! Dwell thou in Peace ! Again when the hour cometh, in the stillness and in the Peace thou shalt hear My Voice !  - the Voice of God-the voice of God !"

Dear Sri Ravi,

Such  manifestation of Divine Grace is indeed rare. Ji, yes, 'In the Hours of Meditation' is a wonderful book and I have been able to read only a little of the blessed Devotee's outpouring so far, but I cannot express how deeply Sri F. J. Alexander's divine fervor has affected me! I wish to read the whole book, but right now I am not in a position to visit Sri Ramakrishna Mission Ashram at Patna and buy the book from there.

However, meanwhile, I shall say, emulating the great Devotee, Sri Alexander:   

Ji, yes, in the stillness and in the peace alone we shall hear our own True Voice--The Voice of the Self! The Voice of Satchidananda! The Voice of God! The Voice of God!

Thanks very much, dear Sri Ravi bhai saheb, for facilitating the access to the great work which is so full of divine fervor, divine love, devotion and jnana, et al.

Pranam,
  Anil

« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 10:03:59 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: March 02, 2015, 01:45:25 PM »
Anilbhai,
Yes,there is something deeply stirring in the very language of 'In the hours of meditation'-a certain immediacy and a certitude that is contagious.Truly this is a rare treasure.Here is another stirring excerpt from this little book:

In the hour of meditation the soul speaking to itself sayeth :  Peace dwelleth in the Silence. And to gain Peace thou must be strong ; and the silence cometh when the tumult of sense has been drowned in the Powerful Stillness of Renunciation. Thou art a wanderer in the desert of this world. Tarry not lest thou dost perish by the wayside. Make thy caravan of good thoughts and provide thyself with the Waters of a Living Faith. Beware of all mirages. The goal is not there. Be thou not deceived by the attraction of externals. Renouncing all, go thou by those paths which lead thee into the solitude of thine own insight. Follow thou not the many caught within the net of manifoldness. Go thou along the paths whereby saints journey singly and separately to the Goal of Oneness. Dare to be brave. Conquest lies in making the initial effort. Do not waver. Plunge into sanctity. With one mad leap drown thyself in the Ocean of God. Divinity is the End. In the nature of things there could be none other for thee thou shining ray of the Effulgent One!
'Make haste, lest thou repent. Whip up the steeds of religious earnestness and powerful faith. Crush thyself if need be.
Let nothing stand in thy path. Thine is no chance destiny. March thou on with surety and strength of soul, for thy destination is Reality. Verily, thou thyself art the Real. Be thou Free ! Be thou Free !
In all the language of Self-realisation none such valuable word is there as Strength. First last and always, be thou strong. Fearing neither heavens nor hells, neither gods nor demons, go thou forth ! Nothing shall conquer thee. God Himself is bound to serve thee ; for He is attracted by That which is Himself in thee ! And thus Oneness is the Essence of Sublime Insight for That which is in thee, That which is thee is God. Verily thou thyself art Divine.
Tat Tvam Asi ! Hari Om Tat Sat ! "Dost thou believe ! Have faith in thy Self ! How canst thou believe in God if thou believest not in thine own Self? Thou must save thyself. 'God helps those who help themselves. Take cognisance of thy
Real Self ; measure It according to the spiritual standard. Know thou art not the body. Even thought art thou not.
Thought is the method of seeing, but the vision is the end. Thus the final truth is Realisation. The final mandate is, 'Man, know thy Self; man, realise thy nature. Faith ! Faith ! Faith ! Everything depends on Faith. Not the Faith which is belief, but the Faith which is Vision. There is no other sin but doubt ; learn to hate doubt as thou dost poison ; the greatest weakness is doubt. To doubt one's Self that, indeed, is blasphemy. Be thou afraid of naught, nay, not even of God, for God is to be loved, not feared. How canst thou fear thy Self! And God is the Self of thee! There is naught but God  and thou art That ! Therefore, "Arise ! Awake ! and stop not till the goal is reached!"
Such is the Gospel of the Blessed One!*"

In the Hours of Meditation-By a Disciple

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: March 03, 2015, 10:55:52 AM »
Sri Adi Shankara:
Looking at a reflection of the sun, mirrored in the water of a jar, a fool thinks it is the sun itself. Similarly, a stupid person, through delusion, imagines that the reflection of Consciousness appearing in the limiting adjunct is the Self

A wise person rejects the pot, the water, and the sun's reflection in it and, indifferent and independent of them all, so sees the self-luminous sun in the sky which illuminates these three.

Being yourself the ever-existent Reality, which is the self-luminous foundation of everything, abandon the universe and your individual body like vessels filled with impurities.

Vivekachudamani

Dear devotees,

When our attention remains riveted to mere reflection of the sun and we ignore the real Sun, how can we see the Real Sun?  In order to perceive the original Sun, we must turn our attention to the Prototype from the mere reflection. Should we not? That Prototype is not afar nor apart, and abides in hearts of all, from Vishnu downwards, as the Atma-swarupa or the Self. Therefore, wisdom indeed lies in looking within and attending only to the Original, or the Prototype, or the Self, or the Consciousness.     

Now, does the Sun include the pot, the water, and the reflection? No. Then, what's the purpose of the pot, water and the reflection, if at all? If anything, they are there only to turn one's attention  to the original Sun. Isn't it? Likewise, the body, the world, and objective consciousness, that is, all these limiting adjuncts are there to indicate to the Self, and only to the Self. They do not have any other purpose. Therefore, our duty is to clearly discern this, and not mistake the reflection for the Original; our duty then is  to turn our attention to That WHO SEES,  away from limiting names and forms.   

Thanks very much,
Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 11:01:35 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: March 03, 2015, 12:30:21 PM »
Who are you apart from Me that presume to serve Me?

Sri Bhagwan:

Do not delude yourself by imagining the original source to be some God outside you. Some contend that just as sugar cannot taste its own sweetness, but there must be someone to taste  and enjoy it, so an individual cannot both be the Supreme and also enjoy the Bliss of that State; therefore the individuality must be maintained separate from the Godhead   in order to make enjoyment possible. But is God insentient like sugar? How can one surrender oneself and yet retain one's individuality for supreme enjoyment? Furthermore, they also say that the soul, on reaching the divine region and remaining there, serves the Supreme Being. Can the sound of the word 'service' deceive the Lord? Does He not know? Is He waiting for these people's services? Would He not--the Pure Consciousness--ask in turn, "Who are you apart from Me that presume to serve Me?" 

Dear devotees, one is always the Self, and Self-realization is only attaining the already attained.  Therefore, as sri Bhagwan has taught, the greatest fallacy in the statement 'sugar cannot taste its own sweetness' is the implicit assumption that God is insentient like sugar. Yes, the individual is only a reflection of the Original Source, and is not apart from Him, and therefore, presumption to serve Him cannot but be mere pretension. So, the contention that an individual cannot both be the Supreme and also enjoy the Bliss of that State is  simply fallacious, and  the analogy of sugar does not apply here  at all.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 06:38:49 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: March 04, 2015, 11:07:30 AM »
"Whoever objects to his having a separate God to worship so long as he needs it?"

Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan is said to have remarked thus to the theists who advocated surrender to the worshipped by the worshipper, who staunchly believed in the reality of the subject object reality. Continuing, Sri Bhagwan further taught thus:

Sri Bhagwan:
Through devotion  he develops until he comes to feel that God alone exists, and then he himself does not count. He comes to a stage when he says,'Not I but Thou, not my will but Thine'. When that state is reached, which is called complete surrender in bhakti marga, one finds that effacement of the ego is attainment of the Self.

Dear devotees, thus Sri  Bhagwan has taught that according to even the dualists and according to bhakti marga, COMPLETE  SURRENDER  IS  NECESSARY.
Sri Bhagwan : Do that (complete surrender) first and then see for yourself whether the oneself alone exists or whether there are two or more.   

Sri Bhagwan has taught that Self-realization must be beyond the triad of knower, knowledge and known.  Self is the Self and this is utmost or all that can be said of it.

Therefore, the goal of all sadhanas whatsoever, even in the path of bhakti, is attained only after complete surrender.  WHAT  DOES  IT  MEAN? It  means  that  the effacement of the ego alone results in SELF  REMAINING  AS  IT  ALWAYS  HAS  BEEN, whatever the sadhana. Therefore, indeed the 'I' is inescapable!

Sri Bhagwan: To say that one is apart from the Supreme is a pretension and to add to it that one divested of the ego, the 'I'-thought, becomes pure and yet retains their individuality only to enjoy or serve the Supreme is a DECEIT. What duplicity this is. First to appropriate what is really the Supreme and then to pretend to experience or serve this Supreme! Is not all this known to Him?

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 11:14:15 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: March 05, 2015, 07:21:01 AM »
Sri Rama Asked:
O Sage, if the cessation of the movement of prana is liberation, then death is liberation! And all people attain liberation at death!

The Sage Sri Vasistha replied:
O Rama, when prana is about to leave the body it already makes contact with those elements with which the next one is to be fashioned. These elements are indeed the crystallization of the vasana (psychological conditioning, memory-store, past impressions and predispositions) of the jiva, the reason why the jiva clings to those elements. When the prana leaves the body it takes with it all the vasana of the jiva.
Not indeed until these vasana have been destroyed will the mind become no-mind. The mind does not abandon the life-force till self-knowledge arises. By self-knowledge the vasana are destroyed and thus the mind, too; it is then that the prana does not move. That indeed is the supreme peace. It is by self-knowledge that the unreality of the concepts concerning worldly objects is realised. This puts an end to vasana and to the link between the mind and the life-force. Vasana constitute mind. Mind is the aggregate of the vasana and naught else; if the latter cease, that itself is the supreme state. Knowledge is the knowledge of the reality. Vichara or enquiry itself is knowledge.

Source: Yoga Vasistha, Swami Sri Vekatesananda 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: March 05, 2015, 08:21:22 AM »
Sage Sri Vasistha to Sri Rama:  O Rama, reach the vision which Prahlada had and engage yourself in ceaseless enquiry; you will reach the supreme state.

Sri Rama asked: Holy sir,  you said that Prahlada attained enlightenment by the grace of Lord Vishnu. If everything is achieved by self-effort, why was he not able to attain enlightenment without Visnu's grace?

Sri Vasistha replied: Surely, whatever Prahlada attained was through self-effort, O Rama, not otherwise. Vishnu is the self and the self is Vishnu: the distinction is verbal. At times one attains self-knowledge through self-enquiry undertaken through self-effort; at times this self-effort manifests as devotion to Vishnu who is also the self, and thus one attains enlightenment. Even if one worships Vishnu for a long time with great devotion, He does not bestow enlightenment on one who is not wise with self-knowledge. THUS,  THE  FOREMOST  MEANS  FOR  SELF-KNOWLEDGE  IS  SELF-ENQUIRY; grace and such other factors are secondary means. If you think that Lord Vishnu can be seen without self-effort why do the birds and beasts not get uplifted by Him? If it is true that the guru can spiritually uplift one without the need for self-effort, then why does a guru not so uplift a camel or a bull?
Hence adore the self by the self, worship the self by the self, behold the self by the self, and finally be firmly established by the self in the self.

Source: Yoga Vasistha, Swami Sri Venkatesananda

Dear devotees, yes, Sri Bhagwan has also taught Grace is vouchsafed for those who have striven hard on the path of liberation. If awakening seems to have happened without self-effort, it simply implies that the necessary self-effort must have been put in one's past births, as was taught by Sri Bhagwan.

Besides, I wish to add that Sri Bhagwan is the Sadguru who graced and bestowed Enlightenment even on animals and birds, nay, they came and flocked to Him, as came to Him His countless devotees! Such was His Compassion! This will remain engraved forever in spiritual  lore.
Pranam,
  Anil   

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 08:24:42 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: March 05, 2015, 09:36:07 AM »
Sri Prahlada to Sri Vishnu:

......................I have experienced the truth of the infinite consciousness within myself, in which there is no sorrow, no delusion, no concern with dispassion, no desire to abandon the body and no fear of the world appearance. When the one single reality is known, where is sorrow, where is destruction, what is body, what is world appearance, what is fear or its absence? I was in that state of consciousness which spontaneously arose in me.

I was naturally enquiring of myself in myself, and rested just for a moment without any notions of being or non-being, of acquisition or rejection.  I have attained self-knowledge now and I shall do whatever pleases you. Pray, accept my worshipful adoration.

Source: Yoga Vasistha, Swami Sri Venkatesananda     
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 09:39:22 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: March 05, 2015, 12:47:56 PM »
Dear Devotees,

Self is God or Brahman. Sri Bhagwan is the Self, and therefore,  God Himself.  For even if Lord Shiva decides to make this world as His Abode, how else He would conduct but exactly the way Sri Bhagwan lived and taught, in Silence. Hence, one finds total lack of greed, vanity, self-acceptance, and add to it that one never found Him disturbed, angry or upset.  Moreover, He took an active part in cooking, cutting vegetables, binding books, preparing various types of dishes with  utmost ingenuity and skill being the Master cook Himself, reading proofs and correcting them, and many other important activities of the Ashramam. I think that the menu of the Kitchen of Sri Ramanasramam was fashioned by Sri Bhagwan Himself, which is still in vogue to this date. 

Sri Bhagwan is the embodiment of equality and treated everyone and everything, including animals, birds, insects and objects alike, with extraordinary care, concern and solicitude.  For instance, we should go through the following conversation to find out for ourselves what really Great Advent and Embodiment mean to His devotees:

D: Does one who has realized the Self lose the sense of 'I'?
Sri Bhagwan: Absolutely.
D: Then there is no difference between myself and yourself, that man over there, my servant. Are all the same?
Sri Bhagwan: All  are the same, including those monkeys.
D: But the monkeys are not people. Are they not different?
Sri Bhagwan: They are exactly the same in One consciousness. 

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 12:52:55 PM by eranilkumarsinha »