Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 756414 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #4215 on: February 16, 2015, 10:17:05 AM »
Quote from Sri Ravi:
"There are different shades or variations of this enquiry-the point is that somewhere it becomes 'indefinite' and that is the 'vanishing of the I thought'-It is not as if one can walk oneself back to the Self.There is the Sraddha(faith) aspect here and nothing else can help from here on.
In the path of Devotion this sraddha or faith element comes into play right at the outset-"

Dear Sri Ravi,

I do not accept Sri David Godman's view that Sri Sadhu Om rarely mentioned the question 'Who am I?', for the question is mere contrivance to revert back to the Self-attention which he has extensively dealt with in his writing and verses.  The question is implicit. Besides, I feel that it does not matter. What matters is to hold on to the feeling 'I' till the very end.  And when a thought arises, one need to revert back to the Self-attention by whatever means one employs. The best one is that which Sri Bhagwan Himself taught: 'To whom, who am I?'

Dear Sri Ravi, I wish to say that somewhere it does not become indefinite.  That state transcends the concepts, either of 'definite' or of 'indefinite'. I do not agree at all with you either when you say that the Sradha aspects from here alone can help. You forget Sri Bhagwan's Teaching that one who is seized with divine fervor to know the real import of 'I' is the CERTAIN SIGN of the manifestation of divine Grace. Such a one is a graced person.  Such a one is always full of Shradha.

Thanks very much, Dear Sri Ravi.
Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 10:20:52 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #4216 on: February 16, 2015, 04:04:39 PM »
Friends, just my two pieces of reflections...

संप्राप्ते सन्निहिते काले,
न हि न हि रक्षति डुकृञ् करणे॥१॥

saMprApte sannihite kAle,
na hi na hi rakSati DukRJ karaNe ||1||

When the end is near, "critical analyses" will not save you.

Move on friends, Be there any flaws in any, the God sees to it that
sincerity and devotion never goes in the air without his grace and touch.

He who has become deserving to beget the benevolent grace of the Guru, even if he may be wrong, still receives the benign grace and is guided appropriately. To each in His own way.

See not the difference, see the underlying principle. Beneath the seeming differences rests the same principle that cannot be denied even by contrasting views.

Differences don't matter here. Let there be difference, just let it be... let it be... in some corner! This is right and acceptable that is wrong and not acceptable all fall only in the realm of the mind alone. Drop that mind, snub it and kill it. Mind and its views are to be condemned, be it right or wrong! That mind is a filthy instrument that drags you down to its level. And that Mind is pure mind which is No-Mind, which gives itself up like the all consumed camphor, it surrenders in silence in the Presence of Divinity.

There are no differences here, in spite of seeming difference. Drop them, Cast off all these, Drop all dead and be stripped and Just be as you are. No need to know it, know need to analyse it, no need to communicate it.

See the contradiction, only contradiction is seen!
See the difference, only difference is seen!

See the 'Principle' only 'That' principle is seen!

om
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4217 on: February 16, 2015, 06:20:12 PM »
Quote from Sri Nagaraj Ji:
"There are no differences here, in spite of seeming difference. Drop them, Cast off all these, Drop all dead and be stripped and Just be as you are. No need to know it, no need to analyse it, no need to communicate it."

Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji,

Yes, these are only seeming differences. For instance, I differ from Sri Ravi bhai saheb, on certain points in our discussion, but I know that there is no real difference between two of us as devotees of Truth, in seeking and surrendering. I see the essential unity underlying all our seeming differences. 

Yes, there is no need to analyse, no need to communicate. If we seem to be doing these, His Grace is enabling us through such satsanga to bring out the residual vasanas to the fore, which remain entrenched in the darker recess of our hearts, only to be exhausted in due course through right practice, Shradha and His Grace.

Thanks very much, dear friend, Sri Nagaraj Ji.
Pranam,
  Anil   

« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 06:22:55 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4218 on: February 16, 2015, 07:45:48 PM »
Anil/Nagaraj/Friends,
Discussions serve the purpose of clarifying one's understanding as long as they remain objective.sometimes ,other questions get raised and we have to cover those as well.Here we are exploring :

what is 'direct' about the path of self enquiry?
what is the nature of this enquiry?is it self attending to self or is it Self attending to Self?
If self-enquiry bypasses the mind,is it possible to practice self enquiry or self attention  in all the three states of waking,dream and sleep?

Namaskar

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #4219 on: February 16, 2015, 08:24:41 PM »
Sri Ravi, (Sri Anil ji and friends)

Nicely summarised. Thank you.

I would also like to express my thoughts. I would like to make it clear that I have not read Sadhu Om or David Godman (except just few excerpts here and there) or other names that we popularly come across. All i have read is only Bhagavan and my understanding of Bhagavan is coupled by Vedanta and the works of Shankara.

1. What is direct about self enquiry?

I am not really interested in the above question. Personally it does not matter to me whether it is direct or indirect. So I skip this question.

2. what is the nature of this enquiry? is it self attending to self or is it Self attending to Self?

According to me, it is self attending to self, mind attending to mind to result in its annihilation, to result in the discernment of its non-existence. And definitely not the Self attending to Self - This is absurd. In fact self enquiry takes place only in the Presence of That Real Self. The pseudo self enquires itself into its own annihilation. That is all to it.

Ignorance which makes one attribute to the pseudo i, the glory of Self, the Atman and makes you, on the contrary, attribute to the Real Self, the misery of the Individual, which is limitation. Remove this ignorance and you will see the True Light. What does Ramana say, he said to one who is suffering from such a misery to enquiry himself out to find not existing!

[ I really don't buy this modern quote "awareness watching awareness" - This is misleading. Does awareness need to watch itself? Does man need to see himself? Infact awareness is just another near-term for the Real Self and it is in the presence of Awareness - Real Self, the self enquiry takes place or for that matter any sadhana takes place ]

3. If self-enquiry bypasses the mind,is it possible to practice self enquiry or self attention  in all the three states of waking,dream and sleep?

self-enquiry and mind are synonimous. There is no by passing mind and all. The Real Self is already By-Passed the so called mind, so to say, the mind is unreal and non existent. it is mind burning itself out!

It is not Self attention it is just self attention just as expressed above. The Real Self remains mute untouched witness with all intelligence to all these, just as it remains so in all the 3 states. The Real Self remains without any desire to get liberated, it is already in liberation.

The moon derives its light from the Sun, considering the moon to be pseudo i and Sun to be Real I, does the Sun need to do Self Enquiry? No, it is suggested only to the so called moon the pseudo i that needs to enquire. And this too takes place only by the blessing of the Sun, by whose light the moon gets its light and it is found that there is neither Sun nor Moon but only the LIGHT alone, Chaitanya.

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4220 on: February 17, 2015, 05:47:20 AM »
Friends,

1.What is direct about self-enquiry?
In verse 17 of upadesa undhiyar,Sri Bhagavan says:
when one scrutinizes the form of the mind without forgetfulness,it will be found that there is no such a thing as mind;this is the direct path for all.

What is the directness?Why do we have to do all this?what is the need for a path at all?

We as humans are thrust into this world without any option and are forced to exit the world at some point in time without any option.As shakespeare said:"Men must endure
Their going hence, even as their coming hither.Ripeness is all"
Having been thrust into this world and having to live the life we are caught up in essentially three aspects in our dealings with the world and its inhabitants- sukam(happiness),Dukham(sorrow) and Bhayam(fear).Life is characterized by the flux of these aspects.We wish to secure happiness without the mix of sorrow and fear-happiness unalloyed.All our problems are related to the securing of this happiness.

If we read Sri Bhagavan's 'nan yar' this is how Sri Bhagavan sets up the context and adds that this very pursuit of unalloyed happiness is there because this very happiness is our true Nature.Why then are we not in a position to experience this unalloyed happiness?Where is the problem?Is this problem only a recent phenomena or is it something that has already been identified and the solution already available since hoary times?

Friends,this problem has been identified and the answer to this problem was already proclaimed by the wise ones-The upanishads resound with this joyous proclamation-'Man ,Know Thyself!All your problems arise from your wrong identity.You have come to think yourself as a limited being having to fend for yourself in the world that you see before you.You are in Truth,the infinte Brahman-Satyam jnanam anantam Brahma'.

We have heard and thought of all that I have said and are quite familiar with all that-the moot question is 'Are we sensitive to this?'-It is this sensitivity that differentiates 'listening' from 'Hearing'.If we hear something ,it may or may not affect us but if we listen to the same thing ,it does affect us in a deep way.

MAN,KNOW THYSELF-'Arise ! Awake!Approach the wise ones and learn this' .

The problem is the mistaken or false identity of oneself and the solution is to identify the false as false and reclaim what is the True identity.This is the DIRECT way.The solution is in the very identification of the problem.To identify the problem it has to be properly recognized as such-not just accepted because another person has identified it as a problem.It has to be enquired into by giving it the fullest of attention.This giving it fullest attention and care is what is Sraddha.

If we understand the context of this 'directness' -that in the very identification of the problem lies the solution-we will not indulge in any comparisons.We will not compare the 'Direct' path with other so called 'indirect paths' or proclaim that this is very 'special' and say to others -'all other paths are longwinding.Why not come to this straigtaway?'.This Directness is meant for oneself only and one has to attend to it for one's good.There is no proselytisation in this.No sense of superiority should creep into one's mind who takes to this -as it will immediately annul the directness.

To summarize,Direct path refers to the Directness of having to shed the false identity of oneself and knowing oneself as the ever present Self.We may then see how grotesque it would be for someone to say -"I am following this direct path for 20 years now"

Namaskar.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4221 on: February 17, 2015, 07:44:03 AM »
Dear Devotees,

I wonder why there is so much discussion to establish whether the Atma-vichara as taught by Sri Bhagwan is the Direct Path. Sri Bhagwan has Himself taught that the Self-enquiry is the Direct path. Therefore, why argue about it?

Dear devotees, if someone after discussing so much is not able to understand why Sri Bhagwan's Vichara is the Direct Path, and seeking to prove that all other paths are as direct, and again building up the theory that there is no path, all these are beyond my understanding.

If one indeed wants to earnestly and sincerely understand why Sri Bhagwan's Vichara is the Direct Path, one should, after understanding it intellectually, practice it in all earnestness and with love and sincerity, and find out for oneself through direct intuition and experience why it is so, and not keep on arguing and playing with words, and berating others why one should say so.

His Grace and Words of Grace conferred on me the understanding as well as conviction as to why Vichara is direct and straight:

The Real Self is  the infinite 'I'. Is it not? So, the 'I' is perfection, it is eternal. It has no origin and no end. The other 'I' is born and also dies. It is therefore impermanent.  So, Sri Bhagwan has taught that when we see to whom the changing thoughts occur or belong, they are found to arise after the 'I'-thought.  When one holds the 'I'-thought and trace back its source, all these unreal, non-existent clouds of the non-Self subside. Therefore, there can be nothing simpler than Sri  Bhagwan's  Words of Grace  to understand, for if we cannot understand Him, nobody else can make understand such a one :

Sri Bhagwan: The other methods are meant for those who cannot take to the investigation of the Self. Even to repeat aham Brahmasmi or think of it, a doer is necessary. Who is it? It is 'I'. BE  THAT  'I'. It is the direct method. The other method will ultimately lead everyone to this method of the investigation of the Self. 

I feel that one should practice the above rather than keep arguing as to what is directness about the Enquiry, or self attends to the self or Self attends to the Self or Awareness watches Awareness, as if one 'I' seeking for another 'I', and as if there are two selves in us, quite forgetting that one is not supposed to identify the feeling 'I' as either ego or the Self beforehand, differentiating beforehand as the lower or the higher self. We forget during such discussion that ego is a false appearance, it is a PETTY infinitesimal feeling of 'I' which disappears in sleep and it disappears when the laser-like searchlight of the Enquiry falls on it.

Dear devotees, instead, we should concentrate only on the essence of the Teaching:
KEEP   REDIRECTING  ATTENTION  FORM  THE  OBJECTS  OF  THOUGHTS  AND  PERCEPTION  TO  THE  THINKER  AND  PERCEIVER  OF  THEM.  SRI  BHAGWAN  HAS  EMPHATICALLY  TAUGHT  THAT  SOLUTION  TO  THE  QUESTION  'WHO  AM  I?' CAN  NEVER  BE  FOUND  IN  OR  BY  THE  MIND,  FOR  ONLY  REAL  ANSWER  IS  THE  EXPEREINCE  OF  THE  ABSENCE  OF  THE  MIND.

Therefore, dear devotees, we must understand that the experience of absence of mind or 'no mind' is the final solution to the question 'Who am I?', the solution to which His Vichara leads us to, and establishes as we  really are without the so -called mind, and know "I  AM  THAT  I AM".

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 08:06:31 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4222 on: February 17, 2015, 08:29:11 AM »
Dear Devotees,

As far as I am concerned, I have reached the strong conviction that there is nothing in the three worlds as highly intuitive as Sri Bhagwan's Vichara, and therefore, nothing much can be argued about it, for an earnest walk on the path as well as His Grace alone will lead one to inner clarity, and however much one discusses, one cannot get rid of doubts, and understand unambiguously how the Vichara is the practice as well as the Goal!

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil   

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #4223 on: February 17, 2015, 08:55:28 AM »
Dear Sri Anil ji,

Below i quote couple of instances to prove your cause - that Bhagavan's method is DIRECT. These instances quoted below are much apt and clearly convey as to why Bhagavan's Self Enquiry is Direct path as you have been advocating thus far. But at the same time, I would express a couple of words to prove Sri Ravi's cause as well, by this, i do not convey what Sri Ravi has been trying to bring to light is wrong. What Sri Ravi has been conveying is equally valid and true.

The subtle aspect we have failed to reason and discern here is how our "abhimaan" is disturbed when somebody conveys something to the contrary to what we hold so strongly and religiously. One gets disturbed when one is told there is nothing direct/indirect about other methods and vice-versa. What benefit is this discussion for either of parties? A Sadhaka truly worries not about this.

If a path is said to be Direct, then it is just an ornament upon that path, what is it for anybody? How does it matter to anybody?

What is important is to take the "Essence" and not sit and fight for the cause of upholding the dignity of one's path.

Let it be Direct paths or Indirect paths. Aspirants of all paths attain to the truth. All rivers reach ocean. Aspirant of Direct paths and Aspirants of Indirect paths - all reach the same Truth.

Also, I would like to convey that Indirect Path does not mean inferior and Direct Path does not mean superior!

What matters is the aspirant's attitude and sincerity. The more one is easily disturbed, the more the aspirants journey becomes tough, be it even Direct Path. Even if one is said to be following Indirect path, if the aspirant is less disturbed, his journey becomes easier. The Tortoise and Hare story.

The aspirant ought not to engage in proving the superiority or inferiority of Gods, Gurus, paths and all living beings. All are equally potential.

The Ego ought to be killed. The Mind is the real culprit!

Below are the instances I would like to quote:

Once Paul Brunton asked:  "Bhagavan!  To attain the Self, should I leave all my possessions?" 
Bhagavan Ramana replied:  "Leave the possessor too."
If possesor is forsaken and the Self within is held on, there is no discussions on Jnanis, their grades etc., 

On another occasion, a Vaishnavite came to Sri Bhagavan and asked Him  as to how to control the mind.  Sri Bhagavan asked him:  In  Your Vaishnava  Siddhanta, what is mind?  The gentleman replied:  In our Sampradaya, [practice], Vishnu is antaryami, the indweller in the Heart and Mind is Thaayar, mother, Sri Lakshmi. Then Bhagavan asked him:  If mind is Sri Lakshmi, why should you control her?  Just pray to her to give way to attain the Antaryami. Why should trouble yourself to control Sri Lakshmi, who is the Mother?"

On another occasion, one gentleman came and asked Bhagavan Sri Ramana:  "What is the Sampradaya [daily rituals and practices] here.  Because I do not see anything.  The bell rings and breakfast is served.  The bell again rings, lunch is served.  Again the bell rings, supper is served."  Sri Bhagavan did not reply.  Then after sometime, He asked him, 'What is your sampradaya?"  The gentleman asnwered:  "In the mornings we do pujas and after dinner, we do so many fixed counts of Japa mantras.  And before going to bed, we submit everything to our Guru."  Sri Bhagavan replied:  "Oh, yet is good.  It is like keeping the principal and giving interest to the guru." The gentleman did not understand it. Just then Muruganar arrived.  Sri Bhagavan told Muruganar the entire conversation.  Muruganar replied:  "Oh, Bhagavan!  Their guru is much better.  He collects only the interest [the merits of japa mantras], but allows them to retain the Principal.  Here, our Guru swallows  the Principal itself.   Everyone laughed.  The gentleman became more confounded. 

We always keep the Principal [ego] and give only whatever we do as submission to our Guru.  But Sri Ramana Guru does not even allow that.  He takes way the ego, the Principal too.  Without ego, without principal, what we can do, what we can submit to our guru?  We submit 'ourselves' totally to Him to ensure liberation.

Muruganar has once said:  Where is the time for japa etc.,  There is no ego here.  Bhagavan is Uyir UNNi.  i.e. one who eats the individual soul, or the ego!

--
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 09:05:51 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #4224 on: February 17, 2015, 09:01:17 AM »
Dear friends, Sri Ravi and Sri Anil ji,

here i remember a wonderful filmi dialogue -

Kabhi kabhi jeetne ke liye kuch haarna bhi parta hai ... aur haar kar jeetne waale ko baazigar kehte hai

Sometimes to win you must lose something ... and one who wins by losing is called a the great-winner

We all ought to lose our ego-mind. The mind's cause of upholding the dignity of something ought to lose, even if it is fighting for the right cause. And then such a lose is truly great win!

Loss of Ego is Realisation

Let all of us lose! Let there be real win!

--
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 09:09:11 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4225 on: February 17, 2015, 09:49:49 AM »
Quote:
"What benefit is this discussion for either of parties? A Sadhaka truly worries not about this."

Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji,

Yes, merely discussing endlessly, and not practicing, will take one nowhere.
Yes, I am not concerned whether anyone regards Sri Bhagwan's Vichara as direct or indirect. I will certainly not respond if such discussion ensues in any other topic. But since I still feel the urge from within to continue writing as part of my sadhana under this and this  topic only, whenever such discussion ensues here I seek to present only what I have understood of the great Teaching in general and what has been corroborated by my own experience in particular. That is all there is to it. When someone says something here, I simply respond as I am suggested from within and as per my understanding, objectively, that is, without subjective concern and worry, and leave it at that. I simply do not care, do not react from within, contrary perhaps to your perception. 

Dear friend, I am not concerned, I am not worried at all, even in the least. Why should I worry whether one is engaged in Atma-vichara, God-vichara, lok-vichara or avichara? I write for my own sake, and if others have also benefitted, that is due to His Grace alone. I am neither to be praised nor to be blamed. Only if you would have known how much I love all those who are in love with either the Self or God! As far as Sri Ravi bhai saheb is concerned, I respect his views, love his insights, our differences on the understanding of the Vichara notwithstanding.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil     
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 09:52:22 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: February 17, 2015, 10:08:56 AM »
Anil/Nagaraj/Friends,
I would request your patience to go through what is conveyed here.I have no axe to grind as i have no favourites-be it gurus,gods or paths.I love all, although there may be a preference towards a particular approach-but I know that essentially all are one and also that Truth is pathless as well(sarva dharmaan parithyajnya).A bundle of contradictions seemingly but I do not see any!

Do we love someone because that 'someone' is special?Do we love our mother because she is learned or beautiful or holds some important office or status or anyother 'special' quality.No we love our mother because she is our mother,she is love herself.we do not need any special reason to love someone.We need a reason to admire someone.

Do I need to project Sri Bhagavan as someone who has done something that no one has done before?For me,the beauty of Sri Bhagavan is that he lived and taught the universal teaching of the upanishads.

I was quite happy to read this conversation of Robert Adams:

What Ramana taught was not new. Ramana simply taught the Upanishads. ?Who am I?? has been around since time immemorial. If a teacher always tells you he has something new to teach you, be careful, because there?s nothing new under the sun. Ramana simply revised the ?Who am I? philosophy and made it simple for people in the twentieth century. But what did he teach? He simply taught that you are not the body-mind principle. He simply taught that if you have a problem, do not feel sorry for yourself, do not go to psychiatrists, do not condemn yourself. Simply ask yourself, ?To whom does this problem come?? And of course the answer will be, ?The problem comes to me?. Hold onto the ?me?. Follow the ?me? to the source, the substratum of all existence.

Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: February 17, 2015, 10:28:50 AM »
Sri Anil ji and Sri Ravi,

Anil ji, what I expressed were not my observations on you as you have taken it to be. They are rather a general discernment for anybody including myself.

Anyways, I have no issues with both your views. Both have its own place. I am neither oppose nor favour any one view. What I was conveying was quite diametrically opposite and sought to look beyond these differences! So long mind is, differences will be perceived and the way to move ahead is to look beyond the mind and defeat the cause of the mind.

--

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: February 17, 2015, 10:45:36 AM »
Quote from Sri Ravi,
"Do I need to project Sri Bhagavan as someone who has done something that no one has done before?For me,the beauty of Sri Bhagavan is that he lived and taught the universal teaching of the upanishads."

Dear Sri Ravi,

I feel that above again is far, far, farther away from the fact. Nobody is here to project Sri Bhagwan. Nobody can project Sri Bhagwan. We are here because we love Him. We love to sing our love-song, each in our own way. So, we love Him, praise Him, and sing His love-song, which unfortunately you labelled as projection. Why? All great ones who moved with Him so intimately have done exactly the same, including Sri Annamalai Swami and Sri Muruganar, and countless others. Do you really think that they sought to project either Sri Bhagwan Himself or His Teaching through their great writing and inspired verses? They happened because of His Will alone.

Besides, I wish to know your view as to whether you consider allegiance to one Guru and His Teaching wrong.

I do not agree with Sri Robert Adams' contention either that there is nothing new about the Enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan. Yes, there is nothing new under the sun. The physicist didn't invent the atom, it was already there before it was discovered. Similarly, Vichara was always there, Sri Bhagwan revealed it as we know it now. 

Thanks very much, dear Sir.
Pranam,
  Anil

« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 10:47:31 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: February 17, 2015, 11:50:07 AM »
Anil,

I wish to know your view as to whether you consider allegiance to one Guru and His Teaching wrong.

No.

Yet,I would qualify my answer.Ekanishta is not allegiance to one god or one guru but to the only God / Guru.

Namaskar.