Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 757506 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #4170 on: January 25, 2015, 03:35:10 PM »
Quote from Sri Ravi:
"The absolute is beyond Life and Death."

Sri Bhagwan: Moreover, what is life? Life is existence which is your Self. That is Life Eternal. Otherwise can you imagine a time when you are not?
Talk?396

Dear Sri Ravi,

That means that there is no time when I am not. Therefore, yes, Absolute is beyond life and death. It is Existence-Consciousness-Bliss, and that alone is Life Eternal. Hence, what I mean to say is that Life Eternal, that is, pure state of merel being, is alone beyond life and death.

Thanks very much, sir.
Pranam,
  Anil

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: January 25, 2015, 03:49:25 PM »
Anil,
My intention is to state that Tirukkural is meant for one and all-in all stages in life irrespective of country,Religion,Sex,times.I have not intended how it compares with sri Bhagavan's teachings or vedantic Teachings.The ultimate aim will still be the same-but it accepts Life and Living and provides practical guidance on day to day living on various aspects of life-Be it growing of crops,wealth generation,Distribution of wealth,Good governance of society,learning and Dissemination of learning,The Learning That Liberates ,the state of Liberation which is called 'veedu' etc,etc.It covers the entire gamut of Life and Living-the principles only are stated and all these are still valid today.It is quite comprehensive.It covers the entire gamut of Dharma ,artha ,kama and Moksha(called 'veedu' in tamizh.)
Namaskar

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: January 25, 2015, 04:08:51 PM »
Quote:
"It covers the entire gamut of Life and Living-the principles only are stated and all these are still valid today."

Dear Sri Ravi,

Yes, I have also heard about the greatness of Tirukural. Since I have not read it, I cannot say anything about the same. I just saw those Verses and your comment upon them, and a thought occurred to me that the great sage may be pointing to the Natural State Sri Bhagwan always spoke of. Is Tirukural available as an e-book? If, yes, how and from where can I get it?

Thanks very much, sir.
Pranam,
  Anil

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: January 25, 2015, 04:29:54 PM »
Anil,
Yes,I understand that and the great Sage is indeed pointing to the attainment of the state of sahaja only.Only he is emphasizing on proceeding from wherever one is and in consonance with one's nature.He hence wisely refrains from defining how life ought to be lived and is just giving useful hints and clues here and there-and thus prodding the earnest learner to do this homework at his own pace and with his own syllabus!
Tiruvalluvar is hailed as poiyyaa mozhi pulavar-The Sage whose words can never be falsified.His setting forth of the couplets is such that they are free from any reference to any particular country,Religion,Sex,community,Times,etc.Truly universal.
It is indeed a great disadvantage to read translations of this-as much of subtlety is lost .Further,one may extract deeper and deeper sense from the same couplet as our vision deepens -one can thus have the Horizontal and Vertical dimensions wonderfully integrated in the Original tamizh.This is lost in the translations ,as in translating one has to stick to one particular interpretation.The sense of the couplet then is fixed to that Translation and limited by that.
I warmly recommend this book-although I do not find it entirely satisfactory.Please Check this wonderful Preface that Sri Sivaya Subrahmuniya swami has written.
https://www.himalayanacademy.com/book/weavers-wisdom/12
You may eventually have to refer other translations in english as well,to see whether they render more .
Namaskar

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: January 25, 2015, 06:41:42 PM »
Quote:
I understand that and the great Sage is indeed pointing to the attainment of the state of sahaja only.Only he is emphasizing on proceeding from wherever one is and in consonance with one's nature.He hence wisely refrains from defining how life ought to be lived and is just giving useful hints and clues here and there-and thus prodding the earnest learner to do this homework at his own pace and with his own syllabus!

Dear Sri Ravi,

Ji. Yes. I understand now what you have meant to convey. Thanks very much, dear sir. Yes, one can proceed only from where and what one is. I feel that I have benefitted from this discussion in that I have been graced to be at least aware of the nature of the contents of the Great Tamil Work known as Tirukural, authored by the Great Sage, Sri Tiruvalluvar. Though I have failed so far to download the Weavers Wisdom, as suggested by you, on account of slow net connection, I hope to do so soon and sincerely go through it. Thanks again, dear bhai saheb.
Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4175 on: January 26, 2015, 07:55:59 AM »
"It seems to me", says a Western admirer, "that one must accept the fact that a Sage like the Maharshi comes to reveal something to us, not to argue anything with us. At any rate His Teachings make a strong appeal to me; for His personal attitude and practical method, when understood, are quite scientific in their way. He brings in no supernatural power and demands no blind religious faith. The sublime spirituality of the Maharshi's atmosphere and the rational self-questioning of His philosophy find but a faint echo in yonder temple. Even the word 'God' is rarely on His lips. He avoids the dark and debatable waters of wizardry, in which so many promising voyages have ended in shipwreck. He simply puts forward a way of self-analysis, which can be practiced irrespective of any modern theories and beliefs which one may hold, a way that will finally lead man to true self-understanding."

Source: Sri Ramana, The Sage of Arunagiri, Sri G. R. Subbaramayya

Dear Devotees,

Since Enquiry is launched from the indisputable, self-evident reality, that is, sense of 'I'-ness or 'I Am'-ness or simply 'I Am' or 'I', the method taught by Sri Bhagwan is quite rational and scientific. Yes, I agree whole-heartedly that Sri Bhagwan's Advent happened for a specific purpose of revelation of the Direct Path of the Atma-vichara. For He Himself has emphasised time and again that the Enquiry 'Who Am I?' is the only method of putting an end to all miseries and ushering in Supreme Beatitude. Therefore, whatever and however it may be said, that is the whole truth, for crucifixion of the ego is the purport of the scriptures of all religions whatsoever.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 07:58:37 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: January 26, 2015, 10:29:30 AM »
Dr. Sri Eddington: The frank realization  that physical science is concerned with the world of sdhadows is one of the most significant advances ....  . In the world of physics we watch a shadow-graph performance of the drama of familiar life.  The shadow of my elbow rests on the shadow table as the shadow ink flows over shadow paper.

Sri Bertrand Russell:  Now owing chiefly to two German physicists, Heisenberg and Schrodinger, the last vestige of the solid atom have melted away, matter has become as ghostly as anything in a spiritualist seance.

Dear devotees, why only shadow of the elbow, shadow table, shadow paper and shadow ink? Shadow individual is typing on the shadow computer to post on shadow net to shadow devotees! Sri Bhagwan  calls it the picture show on the Screen. Screen alone is real. In truth, we are that Screen on which this world-show is happening. We really are not shadows. We alone are real. We must reach somehow to this conclusion for once and all.
Pranam, 
  Anil
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 10:31:17 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: January 26, 2015, 12:47:47 PM »
Sri Bhagwan: What is the standard of Reality? That alone is real which exists by itself, which reveals itself by itself and which is eternal and unchanging.

Dear Devotees,

What is the basis of science? We all know that principles of inductive knowledge are considered the basis of all scientific investigation.  Inductive knowledge is nothing but the self-evident reality. For instance, whenever I have thrown a piece of stone skyward, it has invariably returned to the earth. Has it not? This is the self-evident fact on which we apply principles of deductive logic, which thus forms the basis of all scientific investigation and knowledge whatever.   Now, when even electron has ceased to have properties of a 'thing' as conceived by the common sense and, which is now merely a region from which energy may radiate, and conclusion drawn from experiments based on theory of relativity has established that space and time are mere mental fictions, what is the self-evident reality  in science which can pass the test of the Standard of Reality as enjoined by Sri Bhagwan? There is nothing in the physical world which exists by itself, which reveals itself by itself and which is eternal and unchanging. Nothing whatsoever can be seen without the aid of the mind. When there is the mind there is the world. This invariable CONCOMITANCE  means that world and the mind seeing it are mere shadows.

Dear devotees, as far as 'ourselves' is concerned, Sri Bhagwan has taught that we say, 'I exist'. Therefore, ours is not mere existence, but it is Existence of which we are conscious. Sri Bhagwan again has taught that unconscious existence is a contradiction in terms. We do not deny our existence. Therefore, our 'being' or 'I Am' alone is the self-evident reality, and in Enquiry we proceed from this indubitable knowledge of ourselves. Do we not?

OUR  BEING  IS  THE  ONLY  REALITY. SIFTING  UNREALITY  FROM  UNREALITY  IS  NOT  THE  REAL  SCIENCE.  SIFTING  REALITY  FROM  THE  UNREALITY  ALONE  IS  THE  REAL  SCIENCE. Is  it not?

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil       
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:44:25 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: January 26, 2015, 04:01:18 PM »
D: Is God personal?
Sri Bhagwan: Yes, He is always the first person, the I, ever standing before you. Because you give precedence to worldly things, God appears to have receded to the background. If you give up all else and seek Him alone He will remain as the I, the Self.
Maharshi's Gospel

D: God is described as manifest and unmanifest. As the former He is said to include the world as a part of His Being. If that is so, we as part of that world should have easily known Him in the manifested form.
Sri Bhagwan: Know yourself before you seek to decide about the nature of God.
D: Does knowing myself imply knowing God?
Sri Bhagwan: Yes, God is within you.
D: Then, what stands in the way of my knowing myself or God?
Sri Bhagwan: Your wandering mind and perverted ways. 
Ibid

D: How can the ego which is confined to two of the states endeavour to realise That which comprises all the three states?
Sri Bhagwan: The ego in its purity is experienced in the intervals between two thoughts. The ego is like the worm which leaves one hold only after it catches another. ITS  TRUE  NATURE  IS  KNOWN  WHEN  IT   IS  OUT  OF  CONTACT  WITH  OBJECTS  OR  THOGUTHS.  You should realise this interval as the abiding, unchangeable Reality, your true Being, through the conviction gained by the study of the three states, jagrat, swapana and sushupti.
Ibid   

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 04:04:08 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: January 26, 2015, 05:55:58 PM »
        DEEP  HEART  DIVING

If constant, persistent deep heart diving
Is consistent, and truly thriving,
Ego has no more hope of ever surviving.

Nerves continually turning and churning,
Vasanas on fire and briskly burning;
The jivas prays, desperately yearning.

Such is deft diving within, to reach
The root of ego, my Guru does teach,
A way of Self Enquiry for one and each.

With strong energetic plunge and lusty surge,
Malign tendencies we purge and then emerge;
Again we dive within when there's the urge.
Our aim's to find the precious lustrous pearl,
Of Self's brilliant splendour. 'Twill unfurl,
Let Sat-Chit-Ananda curl, in wondrous whirl.

The sacred task is to waken soul from sleep,
For that, dive in the Heart's a quantum leap,
The way to liberation, evermore to keep.

Sri Alan Jacobs   
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 05:57:36 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: January 28, 2015, 06:04:57 AM »
Dear Devotees,

In little time that I have at my disposal, I am prompted to write only a brief musing on the greatness of Vichara as following:

Sri Bhagwan has taught that ordinary man lives in the brain unaware of himself in the Heart. Heart is the Centre of our being, of our existence. Sri Bhagwan revealed Vichara to enable us to realise the supreme truth of our own existence directly, in the Heart. He who has realised the supreme truth of his own existence, through Vichara, realises that one supreme Reality that is there behind  him is also behind the world. In fact, he is aware of the One, as the Real, the Self in all selves , in all things whatsoever, eternal and immutable, in all that is impermanent  and mutable. He realises that That which underlies all names and form alone is the Reality. It underlies limitations, being Itself limitless; it underlies the unreal being Itself the Real. When one reaches the Lotus Feet, and takes up Vichara, begins to glimpse the Reality, the Substratum, from the very beginning, which nudges one  on and on till one penetrates to one's deepest Core, where Lord Himself is in waiting, and merges in that Reality, like the river in the ocean. And thus one attains the only Goal of this mundane life.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil       

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 06:16:56 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: January 28, 2015, 06:01:56 PM »
D: What is the purpose of creation?

Sri Bhagwan: It is to give rise to this question; investigate the answer to this question, and finally abide in the supreme or rather the primal source of all, the Self. The investigation will resolve itself into a quest for the Self and it will cease only after the non-self is sifted away and the Self realized in its purity and glory.

Talk--374 

Dear Devotees,

The purpose of creation is only to give rise to asking the question, "What is the purpose of creation?", and if we investigate the answer to this question, it is resolved in the Quest for the Self. In my case I often wondered 'What is the purpose of this infinite Brahmand?', which eventually led me to wonder what in heaven is the purpose of my own life! It was at this stage when I realized His Grace in my heart, and the question of the purpose of my life resolved into quest for the Self. However, the non-self has not been completely sifted away and Enquiry continues. 

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 06:05:38 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: January 29, 2015, 07:19:13 AM »
Sri Bhagwan:

A phenomenon cannot be a reality simply because it serves a purpose or purposes. Take a dream for example. The dream creations are purposeful; they serve the dream-purpose. The dream water quenches the dream thirst. The dream creation is however contradicted in the waking state. The waking creation is contradicted in the other two states. What is not continuous cannot be real. If real, the thing must ever be real--and not real for a short time and unreal at other times. So it is with magical creations. They appear real and are yet illusory. Similarly the universe cannot be real of itself?that is to say, apart from the underlying Reality.

Sri Bhagwan: It is like a man satisfying his dreams wants by dream creations. There are objects, there are wants and there is satisfaction. The dream creation is as purposeful as the waking world and yet it is not considered real. Thus we see that each of these illustrations serves a distinct purpose in establishing the stages of unreality. The realised Sage finally declares that in the regenerate state the waking world also is found to be as unreal as the dream world is found to be in the waking state. Each illustration should be understood in its proper context; it should not be studied as an isolated statement. It is a link in a chain. The purpose of all these is to direct the seeker's mind towards the one Reality underlying them all.

Dear Devotees,

Fifty years may be condensed within the short duration of the dream, say within five minutes. There is also found continuity in the dream. Which is real? Short duration of five minutes of our dream is as real as the period covering fifty years of our waking state. STANDARDS  OF  TIME  DIFFER  IN  THE  TWO  STATES.  That is all. THERE  IS  NO  DIFFERENCE  IN  EXPEREINCES.

Therefore, dear devotees, it follows that we cannot say that the waking state alone is purposeful and waking objects alone are useful, fruitful , or practically efficient. Dream is as purposeful just the same as the waking state;  and dream objects are useful and work exactly just as waking objects work in waking state. Dream thirst has to be satisfied by dream water, dream problems solved by dream solutions, etc. Therefore, dream state, while it lasts, is as real  as the waking state.  There should be no confusion over that. AND  WE  SHOULD  NOT ERR BY  MIXING  AND  COMPARING  EXPERENCES  OF  ONE   STATE  WITH  THAT  OF  THE  OTHER,  AS SRI  BHAGWAN  HAS  TAUGHT..

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 07:23:23 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: February 01, 2015, 08:23:49 AM »
Dear Devotees,

When I woke up today, and after remaining in the state of enquiry for some time, I mused and contemplated thus:
Existence is the only State. That Existence is aware of the Existence. Nay, Exiatence alone is aware of the Existence. Therefore, Existence-Consciousness is the only State. Three states of waking, sleep and dream are unreal, fleeting, transitory, and simply come and go. We (the Self) are Pure Being, Pure Awareness.

Sri Bhagwan: YOU  ARE  AWARENESS.  AWARENESS  IS  ANOTHER  NAME  FOR  YOU.   

So, we are always the Self, and the Self is ever realised, never non-realised. Who says that it has not realised the Self? It is only the notion of the false ego that it has not realised is the obstruction. Removal of that notion is all that is required. Clouds originating from the sun have covered the sun. Likewise, clouds of insentient thoughts, all hovering around and dependent on the central 'I'-thought, originating from and shining in the Light of the Self, have covered the Self. This is the Divine Pay. We, the Self, the  real 'I' within everyone of us, Who is Existence Itself, are forever as We (the Self) are, without changing, and even we know for certain that real Me is really ever what real Me has been from childhood to this moment and from beyond birth of this body to beyond its dissolution. We know, but only thing is that egos do not recognise. How can they?

Therefore, indeed, we are the infinite Ocean of Pure Awareness. Our another name, which alone is the Real Name, is Awareness. We have seen straws and foams floating on the surface and periphery of the sea. Ego with its myriad thoughts are like insentient  straws and foams floating on the surface and periphery of the clear water of the Ocean of Awareness, which is our another Name, or real 'Us'.

We must cease, whatever the means, to identify with the insentient straws and foam, for we are clear water of the ocean, nay, we are verily the ocean itself, whole. We are not even drop of water. We are water itself. We are not drop of water, we are, in truth, water of the drop.

Dear devotees,  Sri Adi Shankara once taught by opening His fingers and releasing the Kamandalu which He was holding and said, "let go".  Therefore, our duty is to let go all the accretions that we falsely appear to superimpose on the Existence, on the real 'I', and be free from the ghostly appearances and false limitations.  We need only the removal of notion, and be convinced through the sadhana of the Atma-vichara that we are not filmsy egos but the very, real Awareness who is aware. Remember, awareness is not of the ego. Awareness is Pure Being, the Self, and  is but our another name.  We need to have the nishchaya "I  AM  I".

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   .       

« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 08:28:41 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: February 01, 2015, 10:44:23 AM »
Sri Bhagwan: "Yes, rituals and forms of worship are also necessary. It may not help you in particular, but that does not mean that it is necessary for no one, and are no good at all. What is necessary for the infant is not necessary for the graduate. But even the graduate has to make use of the alphabet he learnt in the infant class. He knows full use and significance."

Dear devotees, everyone, graduate as well as the infant both have to make use of alphabet, there is no doubt about that. Only thing, a graduate alone can make full use and significance knowingly. Therefore, if we are learning alphabet, that is perfectly all right. This is why Sri Bhagwan also taught that all paths are good because eventually they will take one to state of enquiry as alphabet takes one to graduation.
Pranam,
  Anil