Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 756750 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #4155 on: January 24, 2015, 07:26:33 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Dr Mithin Aachi is a surgeon at the Apollo Hospital, Secunderabad.  He has written, in an article named "Thank You God", published in the current Mountain Path, that his practice picked up and he was happy with the materialistic advancement, but slowly the vagaries of Destiny caught up and his practice floundered.  He says that he struggled day in and day out to achieve decent income. We should read all this in his own words, which I am sure will help us all in our sadhana, whatever the path, particularly those who are still caught up in the snare of unending questions of fate and free-will:

I experienced a dull phase in my practice and was wondering when it will pick up. I thought it is by God's Will that I had good practice and now by His Will only my practice is down.
I decided to take solace in the presence of my Guru Sri Jinnuru Nannaguru.
One day when I went to meet him he was telling a devotee, "Man thinks that by his effort he has become successful. But he doesn't know that it is by God's Will that everything happens."
I thought it was very apt teaching for the type of phase I was going through and decided to tell him my woes. When I met him the next time he asked me, "How is your practice?"
"It's dull," I said.
He looked grave and said, "It will improve."
I thanked him. I waited but the previous income which I used to generate did not happen. I was wondering as to how Sri Nannaguru's words could be wrong.
I met him a few times like that and always complained about my poor practice hoping Nannaguru would turn it around. But the practice just went on in its usual average way.
It was then I came across a sentence of Meister Eckhart, a German metaphysician and mystic of the medieval times.
"IF  THE  ONLY  WORDS  THAT  YOU  UTTER  IN  YOUR  PRAYER  EVERYDAY  ARE  "THANK  YOU"  THEN  THAT  WILL  ALONE  SUFFICE."
These words hit me hard. I rued my greed and FAITHLESSNESS.
Next time I met him my practice was still less but when he asked me: "How is your practice now?" I told him, "By God's Grace it's very good. Thank You."
Sri Nannaguru nodded slowly and said, "It will improve."
MY  PRACTICE  STARTED  IMPROVING  AND  I  UNDERSTOOD  THE  BEAUTY  OF  BEING  THANKFUL  TO  GOD  FOR  EVERYTHING.
After that whenever I faced anything good or bad in my life.... I learned to say Thank You.
I realised life is not about being desirous of better times or hoping for greater materialistic or even spiritual status.
IT   WAS  ABOUT  BEING  THANKFUL  TO  GOD  AT  ALL  TIMES. 

Dear devotees, the above reminds me of our dear Brother, Sri Lawrence. Instead of getting trapped in the endless questions of fate, free-will and all those things, we must learn to be Thankful to God, for all that He has given us, and because we remember and love Him as the Inner Self, and seek Him within, due to His Grace only.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil         
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 07:36:07 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4156 on: January 24, 2015, 08:30:01 AM »
Anil,
Mithin aachi is our friend 'arunachala heart' in david godman's blog.He is a  devotee,fond  of Sri Ramakrishna and Arunachala.His blog is here:
http://arunachalaheart.blogspot.in/
Namaskar

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4157 on: January 24, 2015, 12:19:48 PM »
Quote:
"Mithin aachi is our friend 'arunachala heart' in david godman's blog.He is a devotee,fond of Sri Ramakrishna and Arunachala."

Dear Sri Ravi,

Thanks very much, dear Sri Ravi bhai saheb, for the kind information about Dr Sri Mithin Aachi. Since I never visited any spiritual site other than this forum (sometimes,  that is, occasionally, I  visit Sri Ramanasramam's official site also), I didn't know anything about him. I understood from his article in the Mountain Path that he was a disciple of Guru Sri Jinnuru Nannaguru. However, since you have mentioned that Sri Aachi is fond of Paramhamsa Sri Ramakrishna and Sri Arunachala, I wonder whether he is also not fond of Bhagwan Sri Ramana.

Pranam,
  Anil 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 12:36:50 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: January 24, 2015, 12:36:13 PM »
Anil,
I do not know but he mostly posted on arunachala and perhaps considered Sri Bhagavan as synonymous with arunachala.Ofcourse the Guru is one only but it may be a temperamental preference that he looked upon sri Nanna garu as Sri Ramakrishna.I recall his mentioning of having had  a vision of Sri Ramakrishna in David's blog. You may visit arunachala heart blog to know more.
Namaskar

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4159 on: January 24, 2015, 12:54:55 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

Quote:
"but he mostly posted on arunachala and perhaps considered Sri Bhagavan as synonymous with arunachala."

Ji. Yes, thanks very much, sir.

Quote:
"Of course the Guru is one only but it may be a temperamental preference that he looked upon sri Nanna garu as Sri Ramakrishna."

This is beautiful, and is perfectly in accord with Sri Bhagwan's Teaching Itself. I love such beautiful insight greatly, to say the least. Thanks again, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4160 on: January 24, 2015, 01:57:59 PM »
Sage Sri Vitahavya as revealed by the Sage Sri Vasistha:

There is nothing but consciousness, which is beginningless and endless. O wicked mind, what then are you? The notions that arise in you, viz., "I am the doer" and "I am the enjoyer", which appear to be great rejuvenators, are in fact deadly poisons. Do not be deluded O mind; in truth you are neither the doer of anything nor are you the experiencer. You are inert and your intelligence is derived from some other source. How pleasures are related to you? You yourself do not exist; how do you have relations? If you realise "I am but pure consciousness", then you are indeed the Self. Then how does sorrow arise in you, when you are the unlimited and unconditioned consciousness? 
Source: Yoga Vasistha, Sri Venkatesananda

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan has taught that the pure mind is verily the Supreme Consciousness. However, the mind which jumps from one object to the other like a monkey is the impure mind which is made of bundle of insentient thoughts. This impure mind in itself is inert and derives its intelligence from the Self. Therefore, to entertain the thought that "I am intelligent" is a false notion of the mind, for it really is not. In the very light of the Consciousness of the Self, it functions exactly as various actions are performed by people in the light of the sun, though the sun itself is unattached.

When the ego-mind realises through Vichara that it indeed is but Pure consciousness, it loses its form and shines verily as the Self.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 02:00:42 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: January 24, 2015, 02:57:30 PM »
                      ALL  IS  ONE

The see-er the seeing and the seen are One,
And all that we see is Bhagwan Ramana,
Pure Consciousness-Sat Chit Ananda!
In our heart shines a light bright as the sun.
Ramana is our Sat-Guru; He's second to none!
Through His Grace, He'll save us from samsara,
And lead us to the bliss of Great Nirvana.
With Faith, all duties, by Him will be done,
There's no more worry, anxiety or care,
All responsibilities are well carried out,
No more dire depression or dark despair.
So with one voice, give a triumphant shout!
Om Namah Bhagavate Sri Ramanayah!
Adore Him! Om Shivayah Arunachala!

Sri Alan Jacobs       
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 05:51:38 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: January 25, 2015, 09:21:43 AM »
Sri Bhagwan:
Your sense of ignorance during sleep is due to the absence of mind at that time. Now while awake, who speaks of your unawareness in sleep? It is your mind. But in your sleep your mind could not function. How can it speak about your awareness or otherwise during the sleep state?

Dear Devotees,

So, mind alone is the obstruction, and if our true Being beyond the mind is realised, sleep ceases to be a state of ignorance. It is the mind which is chirping all day long in the waking hours, always suggesting this way or that way. Therefore, it follows that as long as we are aware of the mind only, we cannot but consider that sleep state is indeed the sate of oblivion or ignorance. However, Sri Bhagwan has taught unequivocally that sleep is not ignorance, but it is the pure state. On the contrary, wakefulness is not knowledge, it is the state of forgetfulness of our Swarupa, the Atma-swarupa or the Self  and therefore of total ignorance . First, when one reaches the Lotus Feet, it sounds paradoxical but it is absolutely true that there  is full awareness in sleep and total ignorance in waking! This paradox stands reconciled of its own accord in Swarupa-realisation.

Sri Bhagwan has taught that what we are really unaware of in sleep state is only our bodily existence. WE  ARE  NOT  AWARE  OF  OUR  BODILY  EXISTENCE  DURING  SLEEP,  BUT,  ALL  THE  SAME,  WE  ARE  AWARE   OF  OUR  OWN  EXISTENCE,  WHICH  IS  ETERNAL,   ALL  ALONG,  UNBROKEN.

Truth is that sleep, dream and waking are mere modes passing before the Self or the real 'I', even if we are aware of  them or not.  WE  SUBSIST  ALL  ALONG  AS  THE  SCREEN  OR  THE  SUBSTRATUM, pictures, however, may come and go.

Sri Bhagwan : That is the state of the Jnani, in whom pass the states of Samadhi, dream, and deep sleep, like the bulls moving, standing, or being unyoked, while the passenger is asleep. These answers are from the point of view of the ajnani; otherwise such questions would not arise.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 09:25:34 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4163 on: January 25, 2015, 09:52:43 AM »
Although the world and knowledge thereof rise and set together, by knowledge alone is the world made apparent. The perfection whence the world and knowledge thereof rise, wherein they set, and which Itself shines without rising and setting, that pure Consciousness is the one Reality.
Ibid

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

I often come across quotations in different books ascribed to Sri Bhagwan from a book called 'Ibid', and which supposedly contain His Words of Grace. Will you kindly enlighten us regarding its author, contents, details of publication, etc.? 
Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil 

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4164 on: January 25, 2015, 10:01:15 AM »
Anil,
'Ibid' is not a book.It just means referring to the 'Reference' that was already stated. Please see earlier reference and the book it refers to.
please refer:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ibid.
Namaskar
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 10:03:36 AM by Ravi.N »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: January 25, 2015, 10:23:39 AM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

Thanks very much, sir, for pointing out the correct meaning of the Latin abbreviation. So, now I understand that the Words of Grace as quoted in my previous post is from the 'Sat Darshanam'.   I had guessed that 'Ibid' may not be a book and may merely be a reference to some other books.  Now I know better, thanks again, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 10:32:52 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4166 on: January 25, 2015, 01:10:19 PM »
He who lives in this world as life ought to be lived
Shall abide as consciousness that permeates space.

To Give (oneself) and to live harmoniously-Other than this
There is no expansion for the soul.

Dear Sri Ravi,

I just saw your post in the topic 'Thirukural Thread' and contemplated on the above Verses from the great work 'Thirukural' by the great Sage Sri Tiruvalluvar. A question arose in my mind and I wondered what exactly the great Sage meant by the phrases, such as, 'as life ought to be lived' as well as 'to give and live harmoniously'. So, I wished to raise my question under this thread itself.

Dear Sri Ravi bhai saheb, Self is the only Life. Sri Bhagwan has taught that Life is Existence which is our Self. That is Life Eternal. Therefore, indeed we are life unconditioned, and not conditioned by the bodies. Sri Bhagwan has taught that these bodies attach themselves to us as mental projections and we are now affected by 'I-am-the -body' idea. This 'I am the body' idea alone is responsible why we are not able to live 'as life ought to be lived', and is the breeding ground of all the undesirable growth and attachments which lead to disharmonious and sorrowful living in this world.

Now, my question is: Since the great Sage has mentioned in the second line of the first Verse above 'Shall abide as the consciousness that permeates' and 'other than this there is no expansion for the soul', I feel that 'as life ought to be lived means 'Sahaja Sthiti or the Natural State' Sri Bhagwan speaks of. Moreover, I feel that so long as ego-mind is in charge and as long as we are aware of the mind only, it is well-neigh impossible to live life perfectly harmoniously and as life ought to be lived.

Thanks very much, sir.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 01:15:59 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: January 25, 2015, 02:18:41 PM »
Anil,
'EEDal' -is popularly known as 'Giving in Charity' but it actually means 'giving oneself'-going to the help of those in need in whatever manner in accordance with our station in life.
We may recall how nachiketas questioned his father about giving away 'cows' -and asked to whom he(nachiketas)was going to be given to!True giving is giving oneself without reservation.The culmination of this giving will be the giving up of the ego sense.
'Isai pada vaazhdhal' -means literally 'living in music'-means that there should not be friction between Thought ,word and action.These should be synchronized.This is what is called 'Living harmoniously'.This implies Living Truthfully-true to our inner Nature.
So if we live with these two principles of Living,irrespective of our calling-we start living more and more from our depths.This frees us from bondage to senses in a natural way and steeps us in our natural state of Being.
This is like the way a bud  flowers , the flower withers,and  gives way to a fruit and the fruit ripening into a Ripe Fruit-and naturally falls from the Tree when fully ripe.
None of these stages can be forced-one needs to find where one is and live in accordance with these two principles of 'eedal' and 'isai pada vaazhdhal'.
Just like the shell of the egg cannot be hatched unless the embryo has made use of the food therein -only then the shell may be burst and the chick can come out.

For each and every one,the principles are the same but the application of the principle will vary,according to the stage of development.This is where dharma comes in.Dharma is not a mental principle-it is the natural way Nature flowers in an individual.There cannot be one Dharma for all.Hence the classification of varna ashrama Dharma.
Going into this is quite complex and each one has to develop a fundamental understanding of oneself and live in accordance with the deepest chord of his being.
Sahaja Sthithi is when one has like a ripe fruit,fallen from the tree of Life.
Namaskar.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: January 25, 2015, 02:49:22 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

I am more or less in accord with what you have written. Nothing should be forced and the egg cannot be hatched unless embryo has made use of the food therein. 

Quote:
"Sahaja Sthithi is when one has like a ripe fruit, fallen from the tree of Life."

Yes, Natural State or Sahaja Sthiti is when one has fallen from the tree of the mundane life, like the ripe fruit from the tree and not from the Life Absolute that Natural State is. I am writing this because you used capital letter 'L', in 'Life' in the phrase 'tree of Life', which prompted me to ask what exactly you meant by 'Life', for the Self alone is the real Life, that is, Life Eternal, from which there is no question of falling.

Thanks very much, sir.
Pranam,
  Anil 

« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 02:52:45 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: January 25, 2015, 03:04:36 PM »
Anil,
There is no special significance to capital Letter L in that word 'Life'-and by Life,I have only referred to Life as experienced by all.It just refers to the collective plurality called Life as is experienced by one and all on this terra firma in which each one is a participant.
The absolute is beyond Life and Death.
Namaskar.