Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 757444 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #405 on: January 15, 2011, 01:04:23 PM »

Dear Anil,

Sri Bhagavan says in Verse 18 of Upadesa Saram:

Our mind is only a multitude of thoughts.  Of all the countless
thoughts that are formed in our mind, the thought "I" alone is the
root [the base or foundation].  Therefore, what is called 'mind/
is in essence just this root thought "I".

Further Sri Bhagavan says in Verses 17 and 20 of Upadesa Saram:

When we scrutinize the form of our mind without forgetfulness
i.e. interruption caused either by sleep or by thinking other thoughts,
we will discover that there is no such thing as 'mind' [separate from
or other than our fundamental consciousness 'I am'].  For everyone,
this is the direct path [the direct means to experience true self-
knowledge.]

In the place, the state of clear self knowledge, where 'I' our mind
or spurious individual consciousness merges [by thus scrutinizing
its own form], the one [Real Being-Consciousness] appears spontaneously as "I-I".  That itself is the whole unlimited Reality.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 15, 2011, 02:17:34 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Very aptly you have said that if the form of the mind is scrutinized without interruption, it is found that there is no mind apart from our fundamental consciousness "I Am".

Dear sir, Sri Bhagwan has said 'witness' implies 'abhasa' or reflection and, therefore, is the function of the mind. Hence,Pure Mind or the Sudha Mind is conceded for the sake of  argument. In Truth there is no such entity as the mind apart from the Self or our fundamental consciousness "I Am". Thank you so much sir.

Regards,
                     Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 15, 2011, 03:42:02 PM »
The beginning, the middle, the end, he, you, this, and all such
Are like the horns of a hare.
All objects in the past, future, and the present
Are like the horns of a hare.
The gross body one loves, the subtle body, and the causal body
Are all ever like the horns of a hare.
Action, achievement, and every thing else-
All-are ever like the horns of a hare.

Ch.5,V-4, Song of Ribhu

The mind it is that is ever the illusion.
Mind is akin to a web of wizardry.
The mind it is that is the son of a barren woman.
Mind itself is never existent at all.
As there is no mind, there is none of sankalpa and such.
As there is no mind, there is no guru or disciple.
As there is no mind, there is no world or souls.
All that is filled with the mind is of the nature of Brahman.

Ch.5, V-36, Song of Ribhu

Tranquility and practice are of the nature of the mind.
The listening that is achieved is of the nature of the mind.
The inward reflection, too, is of the nature of the mind.
Meditation and such are of the nature of the mind.
As the mind itself, which is the base for these, is non-existent,
Where can these that are said to be its nature be ?
The peaceful Supreme Brahman is the only Reality,
And it is, indeed, ever your true nature.

Ch. 29, V-12, Song of Ribhu

Thank You,
                                                                                Anil     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 15, 2011, 05:24:39 PM »

Dear Anil,

Suddha Manas or Pure Mind is like a white crystal.  It is simply
the Self.  Naan has become Thaan. It simply reflects the emotions
of devotees.  If a red rose is brought behind, white crystal will show up as red crystal and so on.

Witness implies a witnesser and the witnessed.  It is dual.  It is abhasa.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 15, 2011, 06:12:31 PM »
Ji. Yes. Pure Mind or Sudha Mind is simply and verily  the Self. All is Brahman. Will you kindly explain 'thaan'. Thank you so much sir. Regards. Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 16, 2011, 07:34:36 AM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir, an urge arose within me to read the verse of GVK in which the Realised Poet Sri Muruganar sings, "Lord, all is your jugglerry". Will you kimdly mention the verse no. ? Thank you sir. Regards. Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 16, 2011, 08:33:56 AM »

Dear Anil,

In Tamizh, there are two words, Naan is 'I'.  Thaan  is the Self or
"I-I".  This is first used by Sri Bhagavan in Who am I? - Naan Yaar.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 16, 2011, 09:20:39 AM »

Dear Anil,

I am not able to readily lay my hands on the verse where Muruganar
says:  "Lord, it is all your jugglery!"

However, Muruganar has said about siddhis, jugglery and conjuror's
tricks etc., in his verses 222 to 224 in Guru Vachaka Kovai.   Of these,
two verses are from Bhagavan Himself.

Bhagavan 7:

Tranquillity of mind is alone the liberation that is ever attained.
This being so, pray tell, how can those who set their mind on siddhis,
which cannot be gained without mental movement, become immersed
in the bliss of liberation, that is free from the perturbation of mind?

Verse 224a: [added by Sri Bhagavan]:

My son, even a conjuror, when he deludes the world does not succumb to the illusion himself, but the siddha first deludes
himself, then foists his delusion upon the world.  What a wonder is this!

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 16, 2011, 10:25:05 AM »
Dear Seekers and Devotees,

Verse 2-16 of Srimad Bhagvad Gita declares, ‘ Nasato vidyate bhavo nabhavo vidyate satah’ or the unreal has no existence and the Real no non-existence.

Yoga Vasishta says, “What is real is hidden from us, but what is false is revealed as true.”

Sri Bhagwan asks, “ We are all along experiencing the Reality, still we do not know it. Is this not a wonder ?

Yes, mind-body, world, this and that are seen, thought and acted upon. But all these are mere appearances on the substratum or the screen of the Reality. All empirical knowledge and experiences pertain to the unreal which has no existence or being. Even appearances are not apart from the Reality. Even when we perceive each other, the body-mind of each other is only perceived. The Reality behind it, the Self is hidden and not perceived. Sri Bhagwan asks, “ Is this not a wonder ?”

Sri S.S. Cohen, another great devotee of Sri Bhagwan, has explained this very beautifully with the simile of an actor in his ‘ Reflection on Talks With Sri Ramana Maharshi’. I do not exactly remember the name of the actor and the roles he used to explain. But it is like this :

Suppose Sri Mohan is an actor in a play. Once he plays the role of a prince, once of a lover, once of an emperor, and once of a dacoit or a comedian. All these impersonations are unreal characters or entities, yet we perceive all these unreal entities alone on the stage and not their substratum, Sri Mohan, notwithstanding his being the only real presence, his being the only reality. Similarly, though the Reality is ever present as the seer and actor of all phenomena, like Sri Mohan on the stage, we, however, perceive only that which does not exist, namely the phenomena, the prince, the lover, the emperor, etc.
The body and the world etc. no more exist than the prince, the lover etc on the stage. Perceiving that which does not exist and remaining blind, oblivious and ignorant of what really exists is the order of the day and cause of all miseries and misfortunes whatever.
Sri Bhagwan asks, “ Is this not a wonder ?“

Sri Cohen observes that it is the case of  an unconscious mass blindness, a mass hypnosis, not to see Sri Mohan who stands all the while on the stage before our eyes but to  see and believe in the reality of the prince, the lover, dacoit, etc who are not real at all.     
                                                                   ( The name of the actor and roles changed )

Thank You,
                                                                                                 Anil         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 16, 2011, 11:25:31 AM »

Dear Anil,

Very nice.  Our roles are different for each one.  But the Self is the same for everyone.  Brahmasri Nochur Venkataraman used to narrate this story.  There was a person who was playing the role of Ravan
in Ramayana drama.  People used to curse him, whenever he appeared in the stage.  Some even used to throw stones and chappals at him. But in reality, he is a Sattvic person.  One day, when some such members of the audience, who had hated Ravan, went to the green room to continue their assaults, they found this Ravan character and Rama character were sitting before each other and sipping cups of tea!  Seeing the angry crowd, the Rama actor said:  Why are you coming here and continuing your hatred.  The play is over.  In fact, in reality, he is more Sattvic than me in life!  The audience became dumbfounded.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 16, 2011, 03:01:18 PM »

So, The Self is ‘Thaan in Tamizh’ and Sri Bhagwan originally used the Word in Naan Yaar for the Self. Thank you so much for conveying the meaning of key words like ‘Summa Iru’, ‘Suttarivu’, ‘Thaan’, etc. (w.r.t your post, Re-441)

Dear sir, as Sri Bhagwan has repeatedly warned His devotees and earnest seekers against the acquisition of dark powers, we should never nurture any desire for sidhis and clairvoyance etc. Even if they come to one in course of his sadhana, he should outright
reject it. If acquired, they are bound to prove retrogressive in sadhana. (w.r.t. your post, re-442)

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
                                                                                                   Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 16, 2011, 03:08:59 PM »

Like the actor playing the role of Ravana is hated and assaulted, treating him as if he is the real Ravana, likewise, we also take the world to be real and behave as if this is our permanent blissful abode in which we should do all we can to add to our pleasures or to remove the miseries.

Dear sir, you have mentioned Sri Brahmasri Nochur Venkatraman a few times in your posts. I do not know him. Was he a devotee of Sri Bhagwan ?

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
                                                                                            Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 16, 2011, 04:57:54 PM »

Dear Anil,

Brahmasri Nochur Venkataraman is a Palakkad Brahmin, born in the
village of Nochur near Palakkad.  He is now about 35 years old, married and has a male child by name Sadasiva. He studied Sanskrit in his post graduation with special subject of Vedanta in Kaladi Sanskrit University.  He studied Vedanta thoroughly and then tried his life in Sri Ramakrishna Math and a few other Maths.  His deep insights about Advaita finally took him to Sri Bhagavan.  However, right from his very young age, he was meeting Muruganar, Kunju Swami and Kanakammal and others.   He took great interest in Atma Vichara method and studied almost all the works of Sri Bhagavan, His life story, conversations, reminiscences etc.,   And started prayoham [practice] of atma vichara and succeeded also.  He then took up discourses on Sri Bhagavan on His ULLadu Narpadu, general
life and teachings etc.,  He is incidentally an authority on Srimad
Bhagavatam and Ramayanam and Mahabharata.  His popularity grew and he conducts now discourses in Coimbatore, Palakkad, Tirupur,
Chennai, Bangalore, Mumbai, and even at Hardwar and Brindavan.

He has taken up a house in Tiruvannamalai.  His family lives there.
He when free comes to Tiruvannamalai but definitely to Jayanti,
Aradhana and other important days.  He has given discourse on ULLadu Narpadu in Tiruvannamalai itself.  He has recently given a
4 hour discourse inside the Asramam on Sri Ramana Gita, Hrudya
Vidya.  The Asramam authorities respect him as a living representative of Ramana teachings.  The eldest of the brothers,
Sri Ganesan only introduced him and his services to Asramam.
His CD [audio] - 6 of them covers ULLadu Narpadu for about 36 hours!  There are also his cassettes on Srimad Bhagavad Gita,
Hrudaya Vidya, Udhhava Gita and other such important scriptures.
Recently he has made a biography of Sri Bhagavan in Malayalam, which is his mother tongue.  When he was hardly 25 or so, he took
Sri Bhagavan as his guru and has written Sanskrit slokas praising Sri
Bhagavan. 

I heard his discourse on Sri Dakshinamurty Stotram, in Bangalore in
2009 which ran for 7 days totally covering 7 hours.   He has also given
discourse on Sri Sankara Vijayam last year.  But I could not go.

He speaks Tamizh, Malayalam, Sanskrit and Hindi.  I first met him
in Asramam dining hall.  Then I met him once more during one of my visits to Asramam. 

He has said:  ULLadu Narpadu is THE SCRIPTURE ON ATMA VICHARA.  Srimad Bhagavatam is nothing but a detailed commentary
on ULLadu Narpadu.   Hrudaya Vidya was hidden in Upanishads. Sri
Bhagavan brought it to light.

He wears only a dhoti and an upper cloth.  He profusely quotes from
Sri Sankara to explain Sri Bhagavan's teachings. He says that Sri
Sankara's Nirvana Shatkam is in poetry and Naan Yaar is in prose.
The contents are only the same.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 17, 2011, 08:57:59 AM »

I have a deep feeling and absolute faith that Sri Bhagwan's Grace alone enabled me to tread the Path of Atma Vichara and Devotion as shown by Him. I have now learnt from you about  Sri Brahmasri Nochur Venkataraman who is such a great interpreter of Sri Bhagwan's Teaching in general and a great commentator  on Atma Vichara in particular. I am a bit dismayed that I did not know anything about him.

THE ULLADU NARPADU IS THE SCRIPURE ON ATMA VICHARA. The ULLadu Narpadu, Upadesa Saram and 'Who Am I ?' together constitute the Core of the Vedanta and spirituality.

Dear sir, I feel that THE  GREAT DIVINE PURPOSE OF SRI BHAGWAN'S ADVENT was to reveal the great secret of ATMA VICHARA and HRIDAY VIDYA which were hidden in Upanishads. Thank you so much sir.

Regards,
    Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 17, 2011, 09:07:01 AM »

Dear Anil,

Sri Bhagavan's avatara is after Skanda and Tiru Jnana Sambandhar.
Skanda took birth from Siva's third eye, to destroy the three demons.
Tiru Jnana Sambandhar - he had no enemies to destroy.  But he took
birth to spread bhakti and bring back the Saivites who were converted
to Jainism, back to Saivism.  Sri Bhagavan's avatara, is only for spreading Jnana and grace people in Jnana Marga.

Once there was some problem and some devotees were criticizing
certain other groups.  The devotees went and told Sri Bhagavan to
punish the erring devotees.  Sri Bhagavan said:  I have come here only to grace.  If I start punishing people, then not even a crow would fly over this Asramam.

He is Love,  He is Grace, He is Jnana.

Arunachala Siva.