Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758406 times)

latha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #3900 on: September 26, 2014, 08:42:22 AM »
Dear Anilji,

I am very glad you are able to visit our beloved Arunachalam and Sri Ramanashramam. Have a safe and wonderful trip!

Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: September 26, 2014, 09:30:39 AM »
Dear Devotees,

What follows is an excerpt from a beautiful article published in Mountain Path, in 2012, titled 'THE UNIQUE MESSAGE OF BHAGWAN', written by Swami Sri Muktananda:

But Bhagwan says that the Self is realised not by an individual performing an act to 'make' it but by abstaining from any activity designed to gain that precious state which we falsely believe we do not possess. We can 'do' this by remaining still. As Bhagwan would often say, summa iru, be still.
It is striking that if someone really applied the teachings of what Sri Ramana said in the above words, they will realise that Bhagwan is pointing out that the seeker should never get stuck with a path he or she is pursuing, and always be aware that the end of all spiritual discipline is to still the mind. For this seeker has to stop seeking and realise the very subject who is propelling to seek.
You see, one day, a serious devotee confessed that, while he would understand Bhagwan's words intellectually, he was finding it extremely difficult to make it reality. To this Bhagwan replied, in His own inimitable style, "You don't stand in the way of what is going on." Every thought, every word, every deed that is emanating from us, are coming out of the source of all sources which is within. The problem starts only when the 'me' and 'mine' catch hold of the thought, word or deed, and assumes the role of the doer and enjoyer.
So, spiritual discipline should enable us to gradually reach a state where we rest in the simple, clear, ever present witness, watching every moment of the body, mind and intellect, without choosing or labelling.
This is to say we should not sit back and do nothing like a lazy sack. By the very nature of our reality we tend to act even if it means deciding not to do anything at all! We should not mistake the tamasic sate of lethargy with the pure sattvic sate of pure awareness. Effort is required for us to remain in that sate of stillness and for that to happen, sadhana is definitely necessary, not to gain anything but to remain in that pristine sate of stillness. Until we reach that state we have to strive to maintain our focus on what is important, which is the experiential awakening of the Self. In support of this truth Bhagwan has declared in answer to a question of devotee:
"What is that Self in actual experience?"
Sri Bhagwan tells us: "It is the Light which ever shines in the Cave of the Heart as the flame of the Consciousness 'I' 'I'-the eternal and blissful Sat-Chit-Ananda. This is the answer to the Vichara and its fulfilment. The 'I', which has carried out a determined and protracted search into its own nature, has at long last found itself be not other than the Pure Mind, the immaculate Being, which is eternally wrapped in blissful stillness. This is Turiya, the Fourth, or Samadhi.
Source: Mountain Path

Yes, dear devotees, whatever name we may give--moksha, Jnana Vichara or Bhakti or Yoga, but ultimately it is pure Stillness or Achala. 

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 09:38:31 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: September 26, 2014, 05:34:49 PM »
Dear Sri latha ji,

Yes, thanks very much, dear Sri latha Ji. All these good wishes on the eve of my departure for a long journey to South India, from all of you, are invaluable to me. Thank you.

Pranam,
 Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: September 26, 2014, 05:38:49 PM »
Kahat Kabir Suno Bhai Sadho:

Mann mast hua, ab kyon dole;
Mann mast hua, mast hua, ab kyon bole

The mind has become mirthful, now why do you waver ;
   The mind has become mirthful, now why even speak.

Halki thi tab chadi taraaju, Puran bhayi ab kyon tole;
Mann mast hua, mast hua, ab kyon dole

When it (your intellect) was light, it climbed on scale (to evaluate), now it is complete, so   
   why bother measuring it;
   The mind has become mirthful, now why do you waver.

Heera paayo, gaanth gathaayo, Baar-baar ba ko kyon khole;

Found the treasure, kept it knotted, now why open it repeatedly;

Hansa payo Maan sarovar, phir taal taleiya kyon khooje;

Swan has found the beautiful pond, then why bother searching puddles;

Ghatt hi mein tere sahib betha, Baahar naina kyon khole;

Within the heart resides the Supreme, why open eyes outside;

Kehat kabir suno bhayi saadho, Sahib mil gaya dil ohle

Kabir speaks listen dear fellow seekers, Supreme is found hiding in the heart;

Sage Sri Kabir

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: September 26, 2014, 07:01:56 PM »
Mann mast hua, ab kyon dole;
Mann mast hua, mast hua, ab kyon bole.

Dear devotees, first two lines of this wonderful song have also been translated as:

"With mind immersed in Love, why should I talk?
With mind immersed in Love, and becoming mirthful, why should I waver?"

Pranam,
 Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: September 27, 2014, 07:36:04 AM »
 To,
Sri Mcozire,

Quote from Sri Mcozire:
"I am just wondering, when I find it difficult to remain as being-ness, or self inquire, I find myself, repeating the names, Krishna and Yeshua, and Christos.

I am just wondering, is it OK, to say these names together? I want to be calling out to God, and seeking him, and I am wondering is using both these names together something that is possible?

Like sometimes I will just be saying over and over quietly in my mind.

Krishna, Krishna, Krishna, Krishna, Christos, Yeshua, Yeshua, Yeshua, Yeshua, Krishna, Krishna, Krishna, Krishn"

Dear Sri Mcozire,

I feel that you are doing fine with your practice of Atma-vichara. You say that when you find it difficult to remain as being-ness or self-enquire, you find yourself repeating the names, such as Krishna, Yeshua, Christos, etc. This means that you have been able to establish contact with the being-ness or Consciousness, that you have been able to in-turn the mind, but the duration of staying in this state is not satisfactory to you. Isn't it? Well, age-long predispositions will externalise the mind at this stage of your practice. These will be gradually destroyed when the duration of remaining as consciousness increases, for want of attention. So, there is nothing to worry about for that. With practice, perseverance and Grace, I am certain all will be all right in due course, and progressively you will be able to remain as you are, that is, as being-ness, for longer and longer period. 

Question is where is your attention during the period when you find it difficult to remain as being-ness or self-enquire? In my view, though there is no harm in repeating these holy names, but if you really want to progress with the practice of your Self-enquiry, my advice is to bring back the attention from wherever it is grazing, to the one who wants to repeat the names and keep it there for as long as possible. Who wants to repeat the holy names?Remember, thus you are focussing on the Self, the Atma, which Itself is the Light, the only Illumination, and therefore, it itself will show you the light and lead you aright. Have trust in Him and His Atma-vichara. 

Dear Sri Mcozire, do not see yourself as an object. You are not an object to be found in a subject-object relationship. YOU ARE. In reality, you are that through which all the seeing is taking place. Therefore, see that who sees. It is ever-present Seer. It cannot be grasped with our thought, word or deed. We are That. We cannot go on looking for that which is the Seer or the Looker Himself. When we are not an object, we are God.

Dear Sri Mcorize, I just saw your post and wished to respond here, under this topic itself, for it is relevant here also, to your questions, before setting out for Sri Ramanasramam, today in the evening. I will indeed be happy if the above is of some use to you.   

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil   
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 07:41:07 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: October 19, 2014, 03:51:07 PM »
Dear Devotees,

I returned from South India, to back home in Patna, on 11. 10. 2014, as planned. I touched the Sacred Earth of the Holy Sri Ramanasramam on 2.10 2014, stayed in the Ashram for five days in the Morvi Guest House, and left the Heavenly Abode on 7. 10. 2014. I stayed for a few days with close and dear ones in Bangalore and finally reached Patna on 11. 10 2014.

Dear devotees, as soon as I reached Sri Ramanasramam in Tiruvannamalai, deep Calm overtook me and I felt truly graced.  I endeavoured during my stay in the Ashram to keep the mental activities, in terms of number of thoughts arising, to a bare minimum. As a result, I hardy interacted with anybody, except a few times with Dr. Sri Murthy and once with Amma who deals with the Mountain Path, to request her to send my copies of the same, to my address in Patna, by courier services at my own cost, and exchanged few words with a devotee from Australia while standing in queue for lunch and dinner, and during the tea.   
Dear devotees, I felt compelled from within to remain clueless, thoughtless and mute, and as a mere spectator of what happened in the Ashram  in those five fateful days during my stay in the Ashram, remaining glued to the Samadhi Hall most of the times, and in the Old Hall and Mother's Shrine rest of the times. As I experience, His Presence in the Samadhi Hall is so palpable, so overpowering, His Grace so overflowing there, that when I sit in the Samadhi Hall, I feel that I cannot rise and move. I have the similar experiences in the Old Hall as well as the Mother's Shrine, but for me, Sri Bhagwan's Samadhi is the Sanctum Sanctorum. Yes, dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan's Presence, Grace and Guidance can be received and experienced only in calm and quiet mind. The inner clarity of understanding dawns only through His Power of Silence which cannot be expressed in words at all.

However, this time, I searched for Sri Annamalai Swami's Samadhi in the Ashram, found It, visited It, and experienced His Presence and Grace.  I also visited other Samadhis of His great devotees like the divine Poet Sri Muruganar, and of course, the samadhis of birds and animals, like the Mother Cow Sri Lakshmi, deer Vali and last but not the least, the Blessed Crow. I think that it is unique in the annals of spiritual history. Is it not? 

Like on previous visits, I performed Giri Pradakshina on 5.10.2014. I do not know whether it is appropriate to mention here that like on previous occasions, I had some divine experiences, while circumambulating this time also, which I later understood as the experience of bodilessness and clear shining of pure Sawrupa.

Yes, dear devotees, I was filled to the full, as much as I could take in, and as much as I had the capacity. Bhagwan's Grace is like ocean, but it depends on our own capacity as to how much we can benefit.

I purchased diary, calendar and a few books from the Book Depot, collected my copies of the Mountain Paths, and returned to Bangalore on 7.10. 2014. I again boarded the Sanghmitra Express on 9.10.2014 and returned to Patna (Bihar) on 11.10.14. However, this time I returned so calm and subdued that for a few days at least I didn't feel like writing anything.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

Dear Sri Ravi Bhai Saheb, I do not know how I can ever hope to repay the debt for enabling me to perform the pilgrimage from Patna to Sri Ramamasramam in the company of Dear Brother, Sri Lawrence. The booklet conferred on me the clear understanding on the train itself that the practice of Sri Bhagwan's Atma-vichara, indeed, in advanced stages, is the practice of the Presence of God. I do not have words to express my gratitude to you.

Thanks very much, dear bhai saheb.
Pranam,
  Anil   

« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 03:56:11 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: October 19, 2014, 04:08:36 PM »
Dear Anil,

It is very nice to know from you that you had a wonderful darshan of Sri Ramaneswara Mahalingam and also had done
giri pradakshina.  I am sure that Sri Bhagavan's Grace will always be with you,

Arunachala Siva.

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: October 20, 2014, 12:23:11 AM »
Dear Sri Anil,

I am so happy to hear You had a great time at Ramanashram! I suppose words cannot express fully that kind of experience... But i can see it touched You deeply and most beautifuly. How Bhagavan and Arunachala only can...

And thank You for sharing all with us,my dear friend!

With love and prayers,

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: October 21, 2014, 05:26:51 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. I performed Giri Pradakshina bare-footed as before. I started at 5.50 am after prostrating to Sri Ramaneshwara Mahalingam and finished at about 10.15 am after again prostrating to the  Mahalingam. I experienced His Grace intensely soon after I performed worship in the Adi Annamalai Temple and started circumambulating again.
Thanks very much, Sir, for your kind wishes.

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: October 21, 2014, 06:17:16 PM »
Dear Sri Jewell,

Watching devotees meditating  and doing sadhana in the Old Hall, Samadhi Hall, in the Mother's Shrine, and even outside of these, in Sri Ramanasramam, I have always felt that all devotees and seekers who are drawn to Sri Arunachala and Sri Bhagwan, and come to Sri Ramanasramam, in search of Truth, have some kind of divine experiences palpably that they never forget and hold on to that experience in their sadhana ahead and progress.

For instance, my dear friend Sri jewell, I would like to write down two passages from the Mountain Path, from an article named "AT  THE  GATES  OF  SRI  RAMANASRAMAM", authored by Sri Kenneth Rose, as following:

"One afternoon, I was sitting on the verandah outside the book depot near the spacious courtyard at the entrance of the Ashram watching the flow of people in and out the gate of the ashram. I described what I was experiencing to an Indian devotee of Sri Bhagwan who said that people who come to Sri Arunachala and Sri Ramanansramam NATURALLY  enter into savitarka Samadhi, which is a gentle state of pleasant concentration, or low-level Samadhi. This explanation made sense, for at the ashram my mind becomes calm, although not completely still, as it does in deeper levels of Samadhi, or meditative absorption. I found that I had entered, without any effort on my part, into what an editorial that I had just read in the latest edition of the ashram journal, Mountain Path, called the "THE  LOW-KEY  SPACIOUS  AWARENESS  WE  ASSOCIATE  WITH  BHAGWAN.""

Dear friend, Sri Jewell, and after a few days stay in the Holy Ashram, Sri Rose experiences more enduring awakening which he has described beautifully thus:

"One night under a bright moon, as if to confirm that the pleasant new sensation that I had been experiencing over the last few days was a gift of His Grace, a vision rose from some mystical depth within me of the spirit of Sri Ramana Maharshi and illumined me inwardly like the sudden brightness of lightning within a cloud. Bhagwan's spirit was bright, wide, magnanimous, and electric with intelligence, compassion and bliss. I felt myself united with Him, and I sensed that I need only to look to Him and the goal of all these lives will in its right time be achieved."

Dear friend Sri Jewell, all I wish to say with regard to above is this that I need not test the veracity of Sri Rose's experiences in Sri Ramamsramam, for on the Path of Sri Bhagwan's Atma-vichara, one is likely to have such expereinces, like sudden brightness of lightning at the core of one's existence, just like the sudden brightness of lightning within a cloud, some time or the other. I have no doubt about that whatever.

Thanks very much dear friend, Sri Jewell.
Pranam,
  Anil   

« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 06:22:04 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: October 21, 2014, 10:52:52 PM »
Dear Sri Anil,

Yes,indeed,i too never ever doubted about this.
What to say about place where His Holy foot walked. I can only imagine how powerful experiences come at Arunachala and Ramanashram. In Samadhi and Old Hall for instance. I was personally always drown to one particular path i saw in the pictures,and Virupaksha cave and Skandasramam. I do not know why.

I always imagined that whole place is vibrating with some extraordinary Power,Lightness and Peace. It must be,for it is such a Holly place. Our Sacred Arunachala,and our Beautiful Bhagavan dwell there...

These are very interesting and beautiful passages. They convey many things indeed. I am truly happy You have opportunity to be there and live all this,my dear friend! Treasure that peace,it is the Gold.

Thank You so much for sharing all this,dear friend through Bhagavan!

With love and prayers,

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: October 22, 2014, 01:30:01 PM »
Dear Sri Jewell,

I have read somewhere that it was Sri Maurice Frydman, the great devotee of Sri Bhagwan, who compiled and edited the Mahrshi Gospel which contains a selection of Sri Bhagwan's Talks. This is a very important book on Sri Bhagwan's Teaching which has been guiding seekers of Truth all over the world from as long as 1939.
I also read that Sri Frydman was remarkable for recognising the spiritual greatness, and that it was he who discovered the great Sage, Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj, in Bombay. I know that Sri Frydman's popular book 'I Am That' contains Sri Maharaj's Teaching.

Dear friend, Sri Jewell, I have read extracts and excerpts from the book 'I Am That' time and again. Since I am also aware that Sri Maharaj's Teaching resembles Sri Bhagwan's so closely, now a wish arose to go through this book at least once. Therefore, I wish to know from you (or anyone who knows) whether this book is available on the net or not, and if yes, kindly give the address of the site from where I can download it. 

Thanks very much, dear friend Sri Jewell.
Pranam,
  Anil

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 01:32:16 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: October 22, 2014, 07:02:51 PM »
Dear Devotees,

What follows is a very beautiful excerpt from the Editorial of the Mountain Path, named 'Asking is the Answer', authored by Sri V. Ganesan:

Ramana Maharshi was unique in handling the innumerable questions put to him with the help of a single question "Naan Yaar" "Who Am I?", two simple Tamil words culled from common day-to-day discourse and used by him with tremendous effect to point the questioner to the source of both the question and the questioner. He told them that if they knew themselves then all questions would get answered by themselves. Of course, there was no verbal answer to the Master Question: "Who Am I?", but it has to be asked constantly. That is Self-enquiry. "There is no answer for the right question."

Countless were the people who came to Ramana from different parts of the world with carefully prepared lists of questions but then found no need to ask them as the questions resolved  themselves in Ramana's presence and the questioners realised the truth of Sri Bhagavan's statement that silence is constant communication. To the perceptive, receptive visitor, the very presence of Ramana made a host of questions irrelevant and even irreverent. To see Ramana, who lived as the Pure Non-Dual Essence, that is Self, was to realise that it is our sense of identity with the body that makes cowards of us all and that it is our mind that makes us unintelligent, ignorant bound by the illusion of separateness and that in spirit we are one, real, free and Pure Intelligence. To see him was to know that to have nothing is to have everything, to be nothing is to be all. Beside his immense impersonal love, our loves looked like inane fancies, if not hates. To perceive Ramana's awesome availability round-the-clock to one and all equally, in a little hall with the door ever open, was to realise that we live within a shell which we carry wherever we go, and that we interrelate only with mental images of ourselves. To experience Time stand still, to pause in the atmosphere of the Timeless Bhagavan, was to feel an infinite space opening out within us and without, and our notions of psychological time were obliterated. One also realised that our civilization, culture, family, social structure, economy, education, jurisprudence polity everything is based on duality which is the cause of all our sorrows. To see Ramana live in fellowship on equal terms with all men, with birds and beasts, was to discover the oneness of Life. What question can one put to such a Being? What favour can one beg of one from whom the river of Love and Grace flow? One can only ask oneself why we live as caged canaries when we are the royal eagle in flight soaring in the firmament of freedom? Yet, many questions were asked and Ramana would answer in words, silence and smile. The questioner went back happy, comforted, reassured and with the question "Who Am I?" throbbing within him. Ramana made it clear: "There is no answer to the question "Who am I?. "Asking is the answer". He however said that the I should go. It is a phantom. When you search for it with the lamp of Self-enquiry it will run away. When the I goes, the pulsation of I - I which is the Self, will be felt automatically. He added, "When one's true nature is known, then there is Being without beginning and end. It is unbroken Awareness-Bliss". He also said, "The I casts off the illusion of I and yet remains as I. Such is the paradox of Self-Realisation."

So, is a paradox the answer to a conundrum, a riddle to a puzzle? Is an enigmatic smile the answer to an earnest enquiry? There may be no answer to this question but all other questions are answered, and above all, the questioner disappears into the Source of the question! It is a Liberating Question!

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 07:13:12 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: October 22, 2014, 07:57:21 PM »
Dear Sri Anil,

Yes,Maurice Frydman was a Great devotee and Jnani Himself. Maharaj pointed out once that Maurice was one of the rare ones who actually understood His teachings. 'I am That' is a masterpiece indeed!!!
Here is the link from where i read it usually. It is pdf file format.

http://www.anandavala.info/miscl/I_Am_That.pdf

With love and prayers,