Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 755726 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #3870 on: September 21, 2014, 04:52:17 PM »
Anil/Friends,
The Letters from Sri Ramanasramam is the Bhagavatham for us-Here we find the Beauty and wonder of Sri Bhagavan's humanity captured in all intimacy.Here is an excerpt which is reminiscent of the poor  Kuchela meeting Lord Sri Krishna!

30th November, 1947 (161) POOR MAN'S MITE
I have already written to you that on the night of the festival of the Holy Beacon, (i.e., the Deepam Festival) when the Beacon at the top of the hill was lighted, we took the permission of Bhagavan and went round the hill. Hitherto, the usual practice had been to go round the hill before the festival, not after. But this time, however we started at night, after the evening meal. There were about a hundred of us. With Bhagavan in our hearts and with the Beacon Light on the top of the hill before our eyes, and with the full moon brightly shining, we started out on foot. Devotees who had had the privilege of accompanying Bhagavan on his walks round the hill in his earlier days, began to tell us about their experiences: 'Bhagavan used to sit here'; 'here we used to cook'; 'this happened here'; 'Bhagavan told us about this, there.' While they were relating such incidents, we did not feel the fatigue of walking, for we were absorbed in the tales.
But for the fact that we wanted to get back for the Veda Parayana at 5 a.m., we might only have returned at daybreak. As it was, we returned at 3 a.m. I will now tell you some of the things the devotees told us that night: As we were approaching the Unnamalai Tank, a devotee said, 'When Bhagavan went round the hill, he used to sit
here for some time so that those who were lagging behind might catch up with the party. Let us also sit here and wait for a while.' We accordingly all sat there for some time
'How long ago was it that Bhagavan gave up going round the hill?' I asked.
'Till 1926 Bhagavan used to do it. That was an exhilarating experience,' said Kunjuswami, one of the old devotees.
'Why not tell us some of the incidents of those days?'
we asked. Kunjuswami agreed and began to tell us as follows:One day, we all felt like going round the hill with Bhagavan. When we told him, he readily consented and we started that afternoon immediately after food. It was usual for Bhagavan to walk slowly while going round the hill, so Venamma hearing that he had gone and confident that she could catch up with the party in no time, started out with a big basket of provisions.We were passing Sona Thirtham when Bhagavan noticed Venamma at a distance, approaching, and he said, 'There, you see, Venamma is coming. Someone must have told her and sent her with a basket of food. However much I protest, people will not give up these things. There she is, with a heavy load on her head. All right, this is going to be a punishment for her.' So saying, he began to walk fast. Could she overtake him if he walked fast? Let us see. She continued to hurry, panting and fretting all the time, but did not stop walking. Bhagavan continued to walk in this way until we passed the Gautamasram, when he looked back. He could see that she, too, was walking fast, and, his heart melting at the sight, he led us to a mango grove that was nearby the road.Standing under the shade of one of the trees, Bhagavan said, 'We will stop here. There is a well, and if not here, we may not get water anywhere else near. I was hoping that she would give us up, but she would not. She is tired and is panting for breath. What a shame!' So saying, he sat down. Unable to discover our whereabouts, and coming up to the trees, Venamma began anxiously saying, 'Where has Bhagavan gone? There is no sign of him anywhere.' When Bhagavan heard this, he began laughing, whereupon she traced us to where we were and joined us. After eating what she had brought us, we began our walk again, Venamma now with us. From that day, we named the tree Venamma's mango tree.

continued......
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 05:00:20 PM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: September 21, 2014, 05:10:03 PM »
POOR MAN'S MITE continued....

Bhagavan used to tell us that sometimes he started for pradakshina at night and returned by daybreak. It was the usual thing to start so. Sometimes, however, we would start in the morning, with cooking utensils to cook food at noon either at Sona thirtham or at Gautamasram or at Pachiamman Shrine, eat, rest and return to the Ashram in the evening.
Before the Ashram grew to its present size, we would go round leisurely, sometimes taking two days, or three days or even a week, camping en route. On one occasion, we started to go round in the morning with the intention of returning the same evening. We stopped at the Gautamasram, cooked our food, ate it and after taking some rest, packed all the milk, sugar, buttermilk, etc., that remained and started walking again. As we were approaching Adi Annamalai, Bhagavan began walking off on a side road and very fast. Thinking that he wished to avoid the crowds on the main road, we followed him.
After going along a path for about half a furlong, we came to a tank. At the edge of the tank and under a tree, sat on old man, his body covered by a blanket and holding
a small pot in his hand. This old man, whenever he heard that Bhagavan was coming round the hill, would await Bhagavan's arrival on the road and bring him something
to eat. Not seeing him on the road, and lest the poor man should be troubled at missing him, Bhagavan had made the detour.
Bhagavan, on seeing him, called him by name and began talking with him very freely. The old peasant prostrated before Bhagavan, then stood with folded hands,saying nothing. 'What is the matter?' said Bhagavan, 'why is it that I do not see you anywhere these days? Are crops and cattle all right? How are the children?' And then, 'What is in that pot?' queried Bhagavan.
Very hesitantly, the old man said, 'Nothing particular, Swami. I came to know that you were coming. I wanted to bring something as usual to offer you, but there was nothing in the house. When I asked my old woman, she said, 'There is ample food in the cooking pot. You can take it to them'. Unable to decide what to do, I put some of the food into this small pot, but ashamed to face you with only this sort of food to offer you, I was sitting here, Swami.'
Bhagavan, seemingly very pleased, exclaimed, 'Oh! Cooked food, is it? That is excellent. Why be ashamed? It will be very good. Let me have it'. As the old man was still hesitating, Bhagavan took the pot from him, sat down under a tree and told his followers to put down all the things they had brought. We did accordingly. Bhagavan took out from among the cooking things, a big open-mouthed tin-lined vessel into which he put all the food, poured in a lot of water, and mixed it well into a paste with his hand. Then from some left-overs amongst our things, he took out some limes and squeezed the juice into the mixture, poured in some buttermilk, and made the whole thing into a liquid. Finally he mixed some salt and dry ginger powder, then took out a tumblerful of the liquid, drank it, and said, 'Oh, this is delicious!' Then looking at us all, he said, 'All of you, mix some sugar with that milk left over and drink it; our luggage will be lighter. I have this food; so what need have I for the milk? This is first rate food for me in this hot weather. It is also very nourishing, and has many other good qualities too. But you wouldn't like it, so drink the milk, and please give my share of it and the sugar to this old man.'
We accordingly mixed the sugar with the milk and, after giving some to the old man, we drank the rest. Bhagavan was meanwhile talking sociably with the old farmer
and taking two or three tumblerfuls of the liquid preparation saying that it was like nectar. He then said to the old man, 'My stomach is quite full. I feel that I shan't be able to take any food tonight. Take the rest of this liquid food home.' So saying, he gave the remaining food to the old man, who accepted it as though it were nectar. Wiping the tears of joy that were welling up into his eyes, he took leave of us and went off to his cottage.
'Until recently,' I said, 'that old man used to come to see Bhagavan every now and then. Vyasa wrote in glowing terms in the Bhagavatam about the beaten rice that Kuchela presented to Lord Krishna. Had he seen this Lord's kindly act, how much more glowingly would he have written!'

Namaskar
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 05:16:46 PM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: September 22, 2014, 07:49:32 AM »
Friends,
Here is another anecdote from 'The letters from Sri Ramanasramam' :
5th February, 1946 (36) KOWPINAVANTAH KHALU BHAGYAVANTAH (FORTUNATE ARE THOSE WITH A MERE LOINCLOTH)
You know, off and on, Bhagavan has been going through Sri Ramana Leela, which has recently been received from the printers. In that connection, Rangaswami asked
yesterday, 'Has the story about the towel been written in it?' As it was not in the book, Bhagavan told us as follows: 'About forty years back - perhaps in 1906 - when I
was in Pachiamman Koil, I had with me only one Malayalam towel. It was given to me by somebody. As the material was flimsy it became worn out within two months and was torn in several places. Palaniswami was not in town. I had therefore to look after the cooking and all other domestic work. As I used to dry my feet and hands with the towel every now and then, it got all sorts of colours. Its condition would be seen if I used it as a cover for the body. So I used to roll it and keep it near at hand. What did it matter to me? It was enough if the required work gets done with its help. After bathing, I used to dry myself with the towel, and then put it out to dry. I used to
guard it carefully so that no one else would know about it.One day a mischievous little boy saw when I was drying it, and said, 'Swami, Swami, this towel is required by the Governor. He has asked me to get it from you. Please give it to me.' So saying he mischievously stretched out his hand. 'Oh, dear! This towel! No, I cannot give it. Go away!' I said.
'As that towel gradually got torn more and more with a thousand holes in it, I ceased to keep it with me lest it should be seen by Sesha Iyer and others. I used it after my bath, and then after drying it, hid it in a hole in the trunk of a tree within the temple precincts. One day, when I went out somewhere, Sesha Iyer and others, while searching for something else, happened to search that hole in the tree trunk, and found the towel. Seeing its condition and blaming themselves for their neglect, they began offering profuse apologies when I returned. 'What is the matter?' I asked. 'Is it this towel with a thousand holes that you are daily drying your body with after your bath? Shame on our devotion to you! We could not find out even this.' So saying, they brought several bundles of towels.
Something else also happened before this. My kowpinam (small piece of cloth, usually a small strip, worn over the privities) got torn. I do not usually ask anyone for anything. Bodily privacy has however to be maintained. Where could I get a needle and thread available to mend the kowpinam? At last, I got hold of a thorn, made a hole in it, took out a thread from the kowpinam itself, put it into the hole and thus mended the cloth, and, so as to hide the place where it was mended, I used to fold it suitably before putting it on. Time passed like that. What do we need? Such were those days!' said Bhagavan.
It was quite natural for him to tell us all this but we who heard him felt deeply grieved. Having heard this incident from Bhagavan some time back, Muruganar is reported to
have written a verse. The purport of that verse is: 'Oh, Venkata Ramana, who wore a kowpinam mended by a thorn, and who was served by Indra as a towel with a
thousand eyes.'

These anecdotes can be shared any number of times and relished by the devotees.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 07:53:12 AM by Ravi.N »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: September 22, 2014, 08:14:12 AM »
Quote:
"The Letters from Sri Ramanasramam is the Bhagavatham for us-Here we find the Beauty and wonder of Sri Bhagavan's humanity captured in all intimacy."

Dear Sri Ravi,

Ji, yes, thanks very much, dear Sri Ravi Bhai Saheb. All things about or connected with Sri Bhagwan are sacrosanct for me. Therefore, I cannot single out only 'Letters from Sri Ramanasramam', but all His autobiographies, reminisces by His great devotees, and many other books on Sri Bhagwan, are the Bhagavatam for me, including, of course, Sri Bhagwan's own immortal Composition 'Marital Garland of Letters'. However, yes, Letters from Sri Ramanasramam captures Sri Bhagwan's Humanity intimately, as you said, and contains wisdom and is a veritable mine of informations about Him and His Teaching in their entirety.   

His own Works, such as the booklets  'Who am I?', 'Spiritual Instruction', 'Self-enquiry', 'Upadesa Saram', 'Forty Verses on That Which Is', or the 'Ulladu Narpadu', etc., are the Scriptures of the Atma-vichara for me. And 'Talks' and other books which contain His Replies to His devotees' and visitors' questions,  and great works such as 'Ramana Gita', 'Maha Yoga', 'Living by the Words of Bhagwan', 'Final Talks', 'Power of the Presence', etc., are the Sacred Texts or the Vedanta for me. And Sri Muruganar's compositions on Sri Bhagwan and His Teaching, such as 'Guru Vachaka Kovai', 'Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai', etc. are nectar to me; and Great Authors and Devotees, such as, Sri Arthur Osborne and Sri David Godman are the Jewels in the Crown in the list of luminaries, as far as the dissemination of Sri Bhagwan's Holy Life and Teaching is concerned. Sri Bhagwan's devotees will ever remain grateful to Sri Osborne and Sri Godman. Besides, there are many, many others whose great works on Sri Bhagwan and His Teaching have gone a long way to make devotees and seekers all over the world aware of the great Advent in Tiruvannamalai and thus attract them to the Lotus Feet of Sri Bhagwan. I never tire of reading and rereading all these great works on Sri Bhagwan and His Teaching.   

Pranam,
  Anil 

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 09:14:46 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: September 22, 2014, 10:26:37 AM »
Anil/Friends,
Yes,all that is about Bhagavan and Bhaktas is Bhagavatham.Their lives is their teaching-Apart from the list that you have mentioned,I always enjoy reading the lives-63 nayanmars,the 12 alwars,Maha Bhakta Vijayam-the lives of the Great mahratti saints,The Lives of Jesus & Prophet Muhammad,The lives of the incomparable mirabai & Andal,Saint kabir & Tulasidas,The lives of Our Holy mother Sri Sarada Devi,Sri Ramakrishna & Swami Vivekananda-their devotees,Sri Aurobindo&The Mother-their devotees including Dada Dilip Kumar Roy,Yogi Sri Krishnaprem,mA Anandamoyi,Yogi Shuddhananda Bharati,Swami Sivananda & Swami Chidananda and other devotees,Paramahansa Yogananda,Sri Yukteswar,Lahiri Mahasaya,mahavatar Babaji,Papa Ramdas& mataji Krishnabai,neem karoli Baba,Nisargadatta maharaj,Radha Baba & hanuman prasad poddar,Swami Tapovanam Maharaj(His autobiography Iswara darshan & Wandering in Himalayas),Kanchi Mahaswami,Brother Lawrence and his wonderful practice of the presence of god,The wonderful life of Lord Buddha,Tiruvalluvar,Pattinaththar,Thayumanavar,vaLLalar,The Great Tamizh Sage AvvaiyAr,Saint and Music composer Thyagaraja-All these are very dear to me and the list is endless-All these manifest the glory of God and through their lives and songs/compositions.I cannot pick and choose among these.All are dear to me-They are like various beautiful flowers in the Bouquet of the Lord.
We ofcourse have the wonderful Ramayana,Mahabharata,Srimad Bhagavatham.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: September 22, 2014, 10:37:59 AM »
Anil/Friends,
I always enjoy seeing the chitra Katha of the great ones-If we visit Shirdi Baba temples,we will find Baba's life picturised in this way.If we visit Sri Ramakrishna mutts(atleast in Chennai)we will find many of such picture stories about Sri Ramakrishna,Holy Mother and Swami Vivekananda painted on the walls of the Lecture Halls.More than listening to the talks ,I relish seeing these paintings-and 'chewing the cud'.
In Sri Ramansramam,I like to see the pictures of Bhagavan,yet it will be nice to have picture stories of Bhagavan moving around with animal friends,playing marbles with children,and all other stories that are very dear to us.
To watch these is a simple and sure way of discovering devotion,vairagya,viveka and Jnana in us.No doubt about this.
Namaskar.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: September 22, 2014, 06:50:09 PM »
Quote:
"All these are very dear to me and the list is endless-All these manifest the glory of God and through their lives and songs/compositions. I cannot pick and choose among these.All are dear to me-They are like various beautiful flowers in the Bouquet of the Lord."

"To watch these is a simple and sure way of discovering devotion, vairagya, viveka and Jnana in us. No doubt about this."

Dear Sri Ravi,

Yes, there is no doubt that the sabda-chitras or the life-stories of Sages and Saints awaken love and devotion in us and we conceive through the tales of great ones that the Divine, the Real, can be manifest in this unreal world. After reading Periapuranam, the life-stories of sixty-three Tamil Saints, Sri Bhagwan Himself is said to have been overwhelmed with ecstatic wonder that such love, such faith, such beatitude, is possible in human life.

However, the list which you have given is indeed too long and is endless, as you said. Therefore, in my view, one cannot, and should not, go on reading endlessly. Once love and bhakti are awakened in heart and one is convinced of the Existence of God as the fundamental Cause for the appearance of the world and its creatures, one should sit calmly and practice the Presence of God, and thus seek to realise the Atma-swarupa. For, ultimately Self or God are not to be found in books. I also feel that once one comes to the lotus Feet of the Guru, one should read, if one feels like that, only the books which indicate pointedly to the Self-ward or God-ward.   

Dear Sri Ravi bhai saheb, you have mentioned a few times about Sri Brother Lawrence and his wonderful book 'Practice of the Presence of God'. If this book is available as e-book on the net, will you kindly facilitate to make this book available to me?

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 06:53:11 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: September 22, 2014, 07:11:36 PM »
Anil,
I do not have any problem with that list -after all they all recall the same  essence in us.When we read the lives,we are diving into our own self only-this is not to be considered as 'Book worm' type of activity which it is not,as I know this first hand and not from the 'Books'.
You may read the practice of the presence of god here.It offers a download option as well:
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/lawrence/practice
This is a wonderful book-The Practice is the same as what Hindus call as 'Smarana'.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: September 22, 2014, 07:29:04 PM »
Anil/Friends,
Here,our dear brother lawrence writes about how he practises the Presence:

My most usual method is this simple attention, and such a general passionate regard to GOD; to whom I find myself often attached with greater sweetness and delight than that of an infant at the mother?s breast: so that if I dare use the expression, I should choose to call this state the bosom of GOD, for the inexpressible sweetness which I taste and experience there. If sometimes my thoughts wander from it by necessity or infirmity, I am presently recalled by inward motions, so charming and delicious that I am ashamed to mention them.
I desire your reverence to reflect rather upon my great wretchedness, of which you are fully informed, than upon the great favours which GOD does me, all unworthy and ungrateful as I am.
As for my set hours of prayer, they are only a continuation of the same exercise. Sometimes I consider myself there, as a stone before a carver, whereof he is to make a statue: presenting myself thus before GOD, I desire Him to make His perfect image in my soul, and render me entirely like Himself.
At other times, when I apply myself to prayer, I feel all my spirit and all my soul lift itself up without any care or effort of mine; and it continues as it were suspended and firmly fixed in GOD, as in its centre and place of rest.
I know that some charge this state with inactivity, delusion, and self-love: I confess that it is a holy inactivity, and would be a happy self-love, if the soul in that state were capable of it; because in effect, while she is in this repose, she cannot be disturbed by such acts as she was formerly accustomed to, and which were then her support, but would now rather hinder than assist her.
Yet I cannot bear that this should be called delusion; because the soul which thus enjoys GOD desires herein nothing but Him. If this be delusion in me, it belongs to GOD to remedy it. Let Him do what He pleases with me: I desire only Him, and to be wholly devoted to Him.
You will, however, oblige me in sending me your opinion, to which I always pay a great deference, for I have a singular esteem for your reverence, and am yours in our Lord.

Namaskar

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: September 22, 2014, 07:44:04 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

Ji. Yes. Thanks very much. I also have no problem.
I have downloaded and saved the book in my computer. I shall have a print-out of the same with me during the forthcoming journey to Tiruvannamalai. This is only a 39-page long book and I hope to go through it during the journey itself. 

Yes, I understand that the "Practice of Presence" is the same as what we call as "Smarana".

Thanks again, dear Sri Ravi bhai saheb, for facilitating me to download a book which I once wished to read.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 07:46:16 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3880 on: September 22, 2014, 08:23:20 PM »
Anil,
I have downloaded and saved the book in my computer. I shall have a print-out of the same with me during the forthcoming journey to Tiruvannamalai. This is only a 39-page long book and I hope to go through it during the journey itself.

Happy pilgrimage to tiruvannamalai in the company of our dear Brother.
Namaskar

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: September 23, 2014, 07:38:39 AM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

Yes, thanks very much.
However, I wish to draw your attention to one more Name, Sri Chiatanya who is conspicuous by His absence from your long list. Sri Chaitanya is, in my view, one of the greatest Bhaktas who ever walked in human form on this Terra Firma.  For Adi Shankara Self or God is Infinite Knowledge, for Sri Chaitanya, Infinite Love is the Self or God. Bhagwan Sri Ramana has taught that the Self is Love, that the Self is God, and Self is Jnana. Self is All. Therefore, it follows that in Reality, both Jnana and Love are the Same.   

Dear Sri Ravi, following famous conversation between Sri Chaitanya and His great Disciple, Sri Ramananda epitomises that Non-dual, Pure Love of Sri Chaitanya as rcorded by His biographers: 

Sri Chaitanya: What is the goal of life?
Sri Ramananda: A man must follow the rules and injunctions prescribed in the scriptures.
Sri Chaitanya: This is external part of religion-only a means, not the goal. Try again.
Sri Ramananda: Surrendering the fruits of actions to Sri Krishna.
Sri Chaitanya: This, too, is external. Try again.
Sri Ramananda: Realising the devotion that arises from self-surrender.
Sri Ramananda: Realising devotion with knowledge.
Sri Ramananda: Realising pure devotion, which knows no reason.
Sri Chaitanya: That is good. Go further.
Sri Ramananda: Realising loving devotion, which is the best goal.
Sri Chaitanya: That is good. Go further.
Sri Ramananda: Acquiring the spirit of serviced to Sri Krishna.
Sri Chaitnay: That is good. Go further.
Sri Ramananda: To love Sri Krishna as a friend.
Sri Chaitnaya: That is very good. Go further.
Sri Ramananda: To love Sri Krishna as a child.
Sri Chaitanya: That is also good. Go further.
Sri Ramananda: To love Sri Krishna as the beloved bridegroom.
Sri Chaitanya: This is no doubt the ultimate goal. But tell me if there is any attainment further than this?
Sri Ramananda: My understanding does not reach beyond this. But there is another stage called Prem-Vilas-Vivarta.

Dear Sri Ravi, Sri Chaitnaya is said to have stopped Sri Ramananda from speaking further, as  recorded by His Biographers, indicating thereby that the Highest Truth must not be divulged. For, Prem-Vilas-Vivarta is the state of Mystic Union, wherein there is no longer a distinction between the lover and the beloved. In this Mystic Union is realised the truth of Non-dualism: Tat Tvam Asi-Thou Art That.

Thanks very much, dear Sri Ravi bhai saheb.
Pranam,
  Anil       
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 07:41:48 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3882 on: September 23, 2014, 08:08:36 AM »
Anil,
Yes,Sri Krishna chaitanya is the same as Sri Ramakrishna-as also Rama and Krishna!All names are His only.This is the significance of sahasranama-be it Vishnusahasranama or siva sahasranama.
I will post the wonderful incident where Sri Ramakrishna sat on the 'chair' set aside for Sri Chaitanya during a kirtan-All the devotees of Chaitanya who were present at that time did not find anything amiss.The news reached another great devotee called Bhagavandas,who was also a guru.He took objection to this act of sacrilege and he criticized it in no uncertain terms.later on Sri Ramakrishna along with his nephew Hriday happens to go to visit Bhagavadas.
I have shared this wonderful incident in the rough-notebook thread -as to how Bhagavandas retracted his earlier criticism!
Thanks very much for that wonderful conversation.Yes,Lord Sri Chaitanya had a razor sharp intellect as well.
There may be many other names missing in that list-The wonderful saint Gulab singh who i was fortunate to meet in chandigarh for example in 1982,'Amma '-mata amritanandamayi and others.
Namaskar

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: September 23, 2014, 08:45:23 AM »
Anil/Friends,
An excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

Chapter 16 WITH THE DEVOTEES AT DAKSHINESWAR (II) Sunday, December 9, 1883
Chaitanya's exalted state
SRI RAMAKRISHNA was seated on the small couch in his room with Adhar, Manomohan, Rakhal, M., Harish, and other devotees. It was about two o' clock in the afternoon. The Master was describing to them the exalted state of Sri Chaitanya.
MASTER: "Chaitanya experienced three states of mind. First, the conscious state, when his mind dwelt on the gross and the subtle. Second, the semi-conscious state, when his mind entered the causal body and was absorbed in the bliss of divine intoxication. Third, the inmost state, when his mind was merged in the Great Cause.
This agrees very well with the five koshas, or 'sheaths', described in the Vedanta. The gross body corresponds to the annamayakosha and the pranamayakosha, the subtle body to the manomayakosha and the vijnanamayakosha, and the causal body to the anandamayakosha.The Mahakarana, the Great Cause, is beyond the five sheaths. When Chaitanya's mind merged in That, he would go into samadhi. This is called the nirvikalpa or jada samadhi.
"While conscious of the outer world, Chaitanya sang the name of God; while in the state of partial consciousness, he danced with the devotees; and while in the inmost state of consciousness, he remained absorbed in samadhi."
M. (to himself): "Is the Master hinting at the different states of his own mind? There is much similarity between Chaitanya and the Master."

Namaskar

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: September 23, 2014, 01:04:15 PM »
Quogte:
"Sri Krishna chaitanya is the same as Sri Ramakrishna-as also Rama and Krishna."

Dear Sri Ravi,

Ji, yes, Sri Chaitnaya Maha Prabhu is same as Bhagwan Sri Ramana, as Sri Ramakrishna Paramhams, as also Sri Rama or Sri Krishna. The Self or Brahman or the Being is One. For Sri Chaitnaya Maha Prabhu or Sri Ramakrishna, It is Pure Love, for Adi Shankara or Sri Bhagwan, It is Jnana. In their highest State, both are the same, as is obvious from the holy Utterances of Both Sri Bhagwan as well as Sri Paramhamsa. In their highest State, they are Pure Love, they are Pure Jnana. All spiritual aspirants should endeavour to know how they are one and the same, for truth of Love is the truth of the Self. There is no doubt about that. I have also read that though philosophers of the doctrine of Love criticised Adi Snankara's doctrine of Maya, Sri Chaitanya is said to have plainly stated that Adi Shankara wrote His Commentary and expounded His Philosophy by direct command of God. Therefore, indeed, these differences are only in the realm of the mind, for lesser mortals to dispute and argue. Paths or ways may be different, but truth is One. However, there is no dispute also that Sri Bhagwan revealed and enjoined that Vichara is the Direct Path to the realisation of the state of being and explained beyond ambiguity why it is so.   

Dear Sri Ravi, ji, yes, it is well-known to me that Sri Ramakrishna, who fully recognised and appreciated the spiritual greatness of Sri Chaitnaya Maha Prabhu, once remarked:

Sri Ramamkrishna: "Chaitanya experienced three states of mind. First, the conscious state, when his mind dwelt on the gross and the subtle. Second, the semi-conscious state, when his mind entered the causal body and was absorbed in the bliss of divine intoxication. Third, the inmost state, when his mind was merged in the Great Cause."

"Sri Chaitnaya used to experience three moods. In the inmost mood He would be absorbed in Samadhi, unconscious of the outer world. In the semiconscious mood He would dance in ecstasy but could not talk. In the conscious mood He would sing the glories of God."

Dear Sri Ravi, I had typed the above two statements in my previous post also but later I omitted them before posting.  I was wonder-struck to see them posted by you. Thanks very much, Dear Sri Ravi.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 01:07:30 PM by eranilkumarsinha »