Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758533 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #3855 on: September 19, 2014, 07:43:06 AM »
Svasvarupanusandhanam bhaktirity abhidheeyate
Self-contemplation is called bhakti
Adi Shankara

Dear Devotees,

Therefore, one who is pursuing Atma-vichara, or Atmanusandhana, is as good a devotee as any other. No one should doubt it. He understands, as Sri Annamalai Swami taught, that the consciousness that is within him is also within Sri Bhagwan, and also within all forms. Such a one sees unity in diversity, and also essential unity in all spiritual matters. He sees God, Sri Rama, Sri Krishna, Lord Shiva, etc., as the same as Bhagwan Sri Ramana. For him, Lord Sri Ramana delivered nectarine Verses of the Gita as Lord Sri Krishna to mankind, and then came as Guru Sri Ramana to explain them. 

Quote:
"It is always good to worship the Guru, but abiding in the Guru's teaching is far better. You can follow the bhakti path if you want to but you should remember that it is almost impossible for the devotee to judge whether he is making progress or not. You should not jump to the conclusion that you are not making progress with your self-enquiry simply because you find it hard to do. And you should not think that you will make progress as a bhakta simply because you find it easy to generate joyful states of mind.
The same consciousness which is within you and within Bhagwan's form is within all forms. We must learn to contact this consciousness by being aware of it all times."

Dear devotees, I do not think there is anything inappropriate in posting the above statement in this forum a few times. I have done this before and I may do so again if I feel the necessity. It is the holy Utterance of one of the greatest devotees of Sri Bhagwan which clears ambiguity about progress on the sadhana path from the minds of the devotees. Besides, I have also seen the same statements of great ones posted here several times by others. However, I do not see any inappropriateness in that.

Dear devotees, Sri Udai has deep faith in Sri Annamalai Swami's Teaching and practice 'I am not the body or the mind. I am Self. All is the Self.' or meditation on 'I Am That' as enjoined by Vedanta. Therefore, it is quite natural that he also posted Sri Swami's Statement several times in this forum while he was here. Dear devotees, Sri Udai is my friend and I adore his spirit of enquiry and brilliant insights. Only thing, some of us didn't agree to some of his forceful thinking. However, I feel that his departure from the forum in that manner was a great loss to it. He is after all an earnest seeker of truth and an ardent devotee, not less of a devotee than anyone else here in this forum. He should have been here. He, in my view, belongs to this forum.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 08:03:57 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: September 19, 2014, 08:20:09 AM »
Anil,
I agree with you on udai .I wish him well and I will be too happy to see him here if he chooses to.
This is also to clarify that Sri Annamalai swami is very dear to me as also all the other sages and saints-and my reference to the 'earlier posts' where Swami's words have been quoted is with reference to this - "And you should not think that you will make progress as a bhakta simply because you find it easy to generate joyful states of mind".
It is not at all easy to 'generate joyful states of mind' -try as one may.What is possible is to whip up 'emotional states' but it is just not possible to sustain them-and a devotee will not be caught up in all that whipped up states of mind.
Devotion as an 'easy path' refers to the ease with which humans form relationships(as well as break them!)and a devotee learns to have this relationship with god-as mother,father,friend,master,as one's very Self-all combined or otherwise-and this relationship grows and gets strengthened all the time ,through thick and thin.This is very natural for all humans and instead of assuming that one is not a 'person' and hence all things human has to be discarded and one should be just the impersonal 'Self' -the path of devotion starts off with where one is and what one thinks of oneself-as a person;and it proceeds from here in a gradual way where one cognizes God as both personal and impersonal,and something beyond both.
We will find that even those devotees who prefer the 'impersonal' non dualistic approach rely heavily on Sri Bhagavan's Grace-(and this is what devotees call as the 'personal aspect').
Truly there is no difference in the teachings of the Great ones in the essence;only the details vary with emphasis on onething or another.
Namaskar.

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #3857 on: September 19, 2014, 10:38:15 AM »
Quote from: Sri Anil
Dear devotees, Sri Udai has deep faith in Sri Annamalai Swami's Teaching and practice 'I am not the body or the mind. I am Self. All is the Self.' or meditation on 'I Am That' as enjoined by Vedanta. Therefore, it is quite natural that he also posted Sri Swami's Statement several times in this forum while he was here. Dear devotees, Sri Udai is my friend and I adore his spirit of enquiry and brilliant insights. Only thing, some of us didn't agree to some of his forceful thinking. However, I feel that his departure from the forum in that manner was a great loss to it. He is after all an earnest seeker of truth and an ardent devotee, not less of a devotee than anyone else here in this forum. He should have been here. He, in my view, belongs to this forum.

Dear Sri Anil, Sri Udai was just like us. He just expressed as you said his thoughts in more forceful way. It is not so much important how he acted but how we reacted.

Quote from: Sri Ravi
Truly there is no difference in the teachings of the Great ones in the essence;only the details vary with emphasis on onething or another.
Namaskar.

There is real difference between the teachings of the different Gurus. But this difference lies in Their minds (inclinations) and words. Actually all of Them speak for the same Goal. The Goal is Eternal Happiness. And I sometimes wonder why we need a Guru to remind us what we want. Is it not obvious that the Happiness is the very deep desire of every living person? Path is not what is important. The Goal is!

Quote from: Sri Nagaraj
Lord Krishna says, यज्ञानां जपयज्ञोऽस्मि among acts of worship I am the worship called Japa. There are plenty of expression to quote counter, if need be, but what is important is to pick up the essence.

He is Sri Krishna Who also has said: "All paths lead to Me at the end" (a free translation). The "Supreme" method is the one which lead to the Goal. For every person the "Supreme" path is different. Krishna (God) is in all paths in which the sadhaka sincerely and whole-heartedly is searching for God/The Happiness/Nirvana/Brahman/Moksha/Supreme Consciousness.

Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: September 19, 2014, 05:55:29 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

Quote:
"It is not at all easy to 'generate joyful states of mind' -try as one may. What is possible is to whip up 'emotional states' but it is just not possible to sustain them-and a devotee will not be caught up in all that whipped up states of mind."

Dear Sri Ravi Bhai Saheb, really speaking, I do not know. I do not practice and am not used to generating emotional or joyful states of the mind. But I feel that if Sri Annamalai Swami has taught that one should not think that one will make progress as a bhakta simply because one finds it easy to do so, He must know. That is all.   

Quote:
"Devotion as an 'easy path' refers to the ease with which humans form relationships(as well as break them!)and a devotee learns to have this relationship with god-as mother,father,friend,master,as one's very Self-all combined or otherwise-and this relationship grows and gets strengthened all the time ,through thick and thin. This is very natural for all humans and instead of assuming that one is not a 'person' and hence all things human has to be discarded and one should be just the impersonal 'Self' -the path of devotion starts off with where one is and what one thinks of oneself-as a person;and it proceeds from here in a gradual way where one cognizes God as both personal and impersonal,and something beyond both."

Dear Sri Ravi, but Atma-vichara or the Self-enquiry, as taught by Sri Bhagwan, does not entail on its practiser to assume that one is not a person but Absolute Consciousness or God or Satchitananda, etc. Sri Bhagwan has taught unequivocally that one should not forestall the Enquiry by such assumptions. Enquiry will itself reveal the unreality of the ego, mind and the world. It is enough if one clings to the 'I'-consciousness till the very end and seeks diligently the source from where it arises. However, yes, one starts off with where one is. But does one know where one is? One is where Divine Grace has placed him and will go where Grace takes him to. We should only be the willing agent in God's Will.   

Quote:
"We will find that even those devotees who prefer the 'impersonal' non dualistic approach rely heavily on Sri Bhagavan's Grace-(and this is what devotees call as the 'personal aspect').
Truly there is no difference in the teachings of the Great ones in the essence; only the details vary with emphasis on onething or another."

Yes, Grace is indispensable. It is in the beginning, middle and in the end of all spiritual practices, irrespective of the path one walks.

Thanks very much, dear Sri Ravi.
Pranam,
 Anil

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 05:58:30 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: September 19, 2014, 06:35:00 PM »
Quote from Sri Hari:
"He is Sri Krishna Who also has said: "All paths lead to Me at the end.""

Dear Sri Hari,

Yes, all paths ULTIMATELY  lead to Him. There is no doubt whatever about that. Can stone thrown upwards stay in the mid-air? Each river, each tributary, all streams, all streamlets, all rivulets, every dhar, et al, have finally to merge in the Ocean. As a water resources engineer, one of my duties is to trace all rivers, big and small, from the mountains of Nepal (Himalayas) to vast plains of North Bihar and up to their confluence with the Ganga. I do not encounter problems while tracing big rivers, but when I start  with small ones, they soon get lost either somewhere in the mountains or even in the plains of North Bihar, only to re-emerge or reappear somewhere else, often quite at unknown places. we again catch them there and try to give them semblance of continuous  flows, and prepare plans and projects to take them finally to the Trunk Channel, that is, the Sacred River Ganga which again merges straight in the Bay of Bengal.

Dear Sri Hari, I feel that you need no further explanation to understand what really I mean.

Thanks very much, dear Sri Hari.
Pranam,
  Anil     
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 05:38:25 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: September 19, 2014, 07:25:02 PM »
Rationalists laugh at it, and atheists scorn it, but it exists. It is a descent of God into the soul's zone of awareness. It is a visitation of force unexpected and unpredictable. It is a voice spoken out of cosmic silence - It is `Cosmic Will which can perform authentic miracles under its own laws'. In truth, God and the Guru are not different. Just as the prey which has fallen into the jaws of a tiger has no escape, so those who have come within the ambit of the Guru's gracious look will be saved by the Guru and will not get lost; yet, each one should by his own effort pursue the path shown by God or Guru and gain release.

Gems from Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #3861 on: September 19, 2014, 10:47:15 PM »
I got the point of all of you and I am just going to leave it here.

Wish you all the best,
Hari

Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: September 20, 2014, 08:14:55 AM »
Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji,

Quote:
"Rationalists laugh at it, and atheists scorn it, but it exists. It is a descent of God into the soul's zone of awareness. It is a visitation of force unexpected and unpredictable. It is a voice spoken out of cosmic silence - It is `Cosmic Will which can perform authentic miracles under its own laws."

Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji, the above quote is from Sri Paul Brunton which Sri Bhagwan read out to His devotees on 4.1.46 from a pamphlet called 'Divine Grace Through Total self-surrender by Sri D.C. Desai. That pamphlet contained quotes from Sri Brunton. Sri Brunton wrote above lines describing the nature of Divine Grace. Sri Brunton also wrote:

"Divine Grace is a manifestation of the cosmic free-will in operation. It can alter the course of events in a mysterious manner through its own unknown laws, which are superior to all natural laws, and can modify the latter by interaction. It is the most powerful force in the universe."

He writes further:

"It descends and acts, only when it is invoked by total self-surrender. It acts from within, because God resides in the heart of all beings. Its whisper can be heard only in a mind purified by self-surrender and prayer."

Sri Brunton describes his experience thus:

"I remain perfectly calm and fully aware of who I am and what is occurring. Self still exists, but it is a changed, radiant Self. Something that is far superior to my unimportant personality rises into consciousness and becomes me. I am in the midst of an ocean of blazing light. I sit in the lap of holy bliss."

Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji, as I also know, this is how Divine Grace acts and manifests from within. Then our dear little 'self' is not only revealed to be unreal, but with all his paraphernalia, appears to be floating lifelessly in the Radiant Self like foam. For Sri Brunton, it is 'sitting in the lap of Holy Bliss'.

Thanks very much, my dear friend.
Pranam,
  Anil   

« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 08:18:04 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: September 20, 2014, 09:36:24 AM »
Q: How to see God who is all pervasive?

Sri Bhagwan: To see God is to be God. There is no apart from God for Him to pervade. He alone is.

Q: The bhakta requires a God to whom he can do bhakti. Is he to be taught that there is only the Self, not a worshipper and the worshipped?

Sri Bhagwan: Of course, God is required for sadhana. But the end of the sadhana, even in bhakti marga (the path of devotion), is attained only after complete surrender. What does it mean, except that effacement of the ego results in Self remaining as it always has been? Whatever path one may choose, the 'I' is inescapable, the 'I' that does the nishkama karma (motiveless work), the 'I' that pines for joining the Lord from whom it feels it has been separated, the 'I' that feels it has slipped from its real nature, and so on. The source of this 'I' must be found out. Then all questions will be solved.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 09:39:14 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: September 20, 2014, 05:34:29 PM »
Concluding Remarks

Sri Ramana Maharshi, like the ancients, Sri Dakshinamurti and Sri Dattatreya, appeared as the embodiment of supreme Brahman and saved us poor ones from the ocean of samsara. May His divine lotus feet live forever!

What tapas did I perform in the past? My Lord! You came as Lord Ramana and said, "Are you this cage of flesh? Is your nature not the true Jnana shining as I-I? Enquire!" In order to redeem me, a dog, from becoming the body, He revealed my true nature.

'If you seek in your heart "Who am I?" the false I-am-the-body idea will be destroyed and you will attain true knowledge.' By saying this, you graciously made me exert towards realisation of mauna and made me remain as the Self. How can I repay you for this compassionate act of yours?

May the gracious Feet of Arunachala Ramana live forever!

Source: Sri Ramana Darsanam,  Sadhu Sri Natanananda   

« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 05:36:48 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: September 21, 2014, 08:40:58 AM »
Brahman, though ever present, still appears as if realised afresh by enquiry into the Self, as taught by a Master of the scriptures. Therefore, O Son, be at peace, knowing that we are always the same limitless being.
Kaivalya Navaneeta 

Dear Devotees,

Bhagwan Sri Ramana shines as the sun of the Self and bestows His Grace on all who come to His Lotus Feet. I do not know anyone who taught before Him that there is no God apart from the person who sees Him. I do not know anyone who declared openly that there is no one who is not aware of his own being, that one's own being is verily God's being. Not only that, He went on to declare, teach and enjoin that BEING  IS  BOTH  THE  SELF  AND  GOD, and thus proclaimed the divine nature of man.

Sri Bhagwan: There is no one who has not seen God. God vision is natural to all. Ignorance consists in not being aware of this natural experience of truth. As wrong knowledge is only the loss of ego, the I-am-the-body idea, loss of ego means gaining God. Knowing oneself is knowing God, and knowing God is only abiding as the Self. As Self-realisation is God-realisation, Self and God are not different.

Sadhu Sri Natanananda has written that Self-realisation, which appeared to be rare and difficult for even rishis of ancient times such as Suka, was demonstrated as an experience natural to all by Bhagwan Sri Ramana,  who shone as the bestower of Jnana and redeemed all.

Yes, dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan's greatness lies also in the fact that He compassionately brought the truth of the sacred texts within direct experience of one and all. Not only that, He proclaimed, "Lo! It is very easy."   

Enquire profoundly,
And I am certain,
He will reveal out Atma-swarupa
In a trice!

Melt, in love,
And reach Him,
In the innermost recess of heart,
Then, as He promised,
He reveals Himself
As Infinite Knowledge, or
As pure Intelligence. 

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 08:52:33 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: September 21, 2014, 09:58:05 AM »
Sadguru, Bhagwan Sri Ramana: "God and Guru are in truth not different. The Guru is both external and internal. From the exterior He gives a push to the mind to turn it inwards. From the interior He pulls the minds towards the Self and helps in the quietening of the mind. That is Guru's Grace. There is no difference between God, Guru and the Self."
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 11:03:02 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: September 21, 2014, 11:39:53 AM »
An excerpt from 'Day by Day With Bhagwan', 27.12.46:

This evening, another visitor, a young and bright-looking man, Girish Ganapat, read out a long prayer to Bhagwan, which he had composed in English, consisting of about twenty stanzas, and then gave it to Bhagwan. Bhagwan received the same very graciously, after listening to it with appreciative smiles all along. I extract below five out of the above stanzas.

In search of Truth I wandered;
But found nothing but confusion,
With hopeful eyes, I arrived here,
Expecting light, to avoid illusion.

Came I and sat at your feet,
Peace and calmness captured self.
In an unseen way, O Lord,
You helped me in your wondrous silence.

Light of hope cheered me,
I saw my dream succeed,
Oh, see with the sword of stillness
And cut the veils of darkness.

Yet, O Lord. My sinful soul
Is not free from old habits.
Hence the help from you, Guru.
Begging I am with eager eyes.

So will you not help me, O Lord?
Will my childish prayer reach
Thy ear, O merciful Ramana?
And will my veils mysterious drop
By your single ray serene?

Dear devotees, by slaying the dark ego and its chattering mind with the twin axe of Enquiry, we acquire the sword of stillness which ultimately cuts the veils of darkness, heralding dawn of Knowledge and Bliss.

Pranam,
  Anil       
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 11:42:02 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: September 21, 2014, 03:27:41 PM »
Sri Bhagwan to the wife of a Zamindar: As you know we undoubtedly exist, the world also exists as Brahman. That being so, what is there that one could see as Brahman? We should make our vision as the all-pervading Brahman. The world is as we see it. If we see it as material, it is material. If we see it as Brahman, it is Brahman. That is why we must change our outlook. Can you see the picture in a film without the screen? If we remain as we are, everything adjusts itself to that attitude.   

Overjoyed at this and fully satisfied, she came out and sat on the step on the verandah which is opposite to Bhagwan's couch. Bhagwan was sitting on the couch in His characteristic pose, silent as usual and with a smile on His face. Looking at the radiant face of Bhagwan, she said involuntarily, "Ah! How beautiful Bhagwan is!" A devotee who heard the exclamation approached Bhagwan and said, "She is saying how beautiful Bhagwan is." With a slight nod of His Head Bhagwan said, "Sivam Sundaram". See how pregnant with meaning that expression is?
Source: Letters from Sri Ramanasramam

Dear devotees, that which is sundaram (beautiful) is the form of Atma or Brahman.  That which is of the nature of Truth, That which is beautiful, is the form of the Atma or Brahman, that is, 'Satyam-Sivam-Sundaram'.   

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 04:22:20 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: September 21, 2014, 04:24:00 PM »
D (a young visitor): Swami, Which is better for meditation--meditating with eyes closed or with eyes open?
Sri Bhagwan: (with a smile): Is that your doubt? Do it in whichever way it appears easier to you.
D: If I keep my eyes open, all the outside things force themselves on my attention.
Sri Bhagwan: Will they not appear even if you close your eyes? We are sitting here. The mind sees ever so many things. It wanders to many places.
D: Yes, Swami. That is true. You should therefore show us a way by which we could avoid seeing all those places.
Sri Bhagwan: EVERYTHING  COMES  OUT  OF  OURSELVES. If we remain still as we are, there is nothing else.  ONLY  IF  WE ARE  FICKLE-MINDED,  EVERYTHING  COMES  UPON  US.

The young man could not understand the significance of Bhagwan's words and so sat there absorbed in his own thoughts, downcast. Bhagwan's heart melted on seeing him and addressing a devotee seated nearby, said, "Look. If we are not existent, what is there outside to see?"
Source: Letters from Sri Ramanasramam

« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 04:26:03 PM by eranilkumarsinha »