Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 755773 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #3840 on: September 14, 2014, 10:01:42 PM »
Quote from Sri Nagaraj Ji:
"Well, definitely, my friend, i have not initiated my expressions now, just for some casual exchanges for minor thing, over scoring some brownie points. I am more interested in the Sadhana itself!"

Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji,

Yes. Yes, why mention it? I never doubted that. I also didn't make that minor remark lightly without a thought, but just that it is not of much importance to me now. Now, please do not ask me to explain, "What is importance? What is non-importance?", etc., for I do not know.  That is all.

Rest I do not really understand. Anyway, as I said, I am not concerned anymore. Anyway, I do not  wish to continue this discussion anymore. Do what you like and befits you.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 10:03:27 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: September 14, 2014, 11:12:58 PM »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: September 15, 2014, 07:56:05 AM »
Quote from Sri Hari:
"it is the most direct, etc" may harm somebody

Dear Sri Hari,

On the other hand I feel that those devotees and seekers who visit this Forum are drawn to huge, infinite Magnet That Sri Bhagwan Is, Embodiment of Grace and Love, and Lord of Atma-vichara. Therefore, they must get exposed to Him and His Teaching now that they are here! They must come to know Sri Bhagwan's Teaching that the Atma-vichara as taught by Him is the Straight Path, the only Direct and Infallible One to realise the Unconditioned Absolute.  And that He repeatedly emphasised 'Enquiry into Self'. This is the truth and I feel that whosoever visits this Forum deserves at least to be aware of this much so that he may, at long last, gravitate to hold 'I AM' which is both practice as well as the Goal, for his own supreme good, and thus may avail himself an opportunity to get established at His Lotus Feet. I do not think that reading and getting exposed to Sri Bhagwan's Teaching of the Atma-vichara will harm anyone. On the contrary, I feel that his faith and resolve to realise the Self will be strengthened and will get clarity and light in his own sadhana whatever that may be.

So, when one is here, I feel that one should  know Sri Bhagwan's  Epoch-making Revelation:
" THE QUEST FOR THE SELF IS THE ESSENTIAL FACTOR AND THE REST ARE MERE ACCESSORIES."
"THE ESSENTIAL POINT IS THE ATMA-VICHARA--ENQUIRY INTO THE SELF."

"ATMAN IS THE AIM. What else can there be? All other aims are for those who are incapable of atmalakshya (having the Self for the aim). They lead you ultimately to Atma-vichara (enquiry into the Self)."

I do not think there can be any other interpretation of the above holy utterances than what they are so obviously declaring.  The other practices will take one ultimately to Atma-vichara, albeit may be for a brief period before the Realisation. If such is the case, why not avail oneself an opportunity to understand and practice the same from the very beginning? Having said this much, I wish to add that I have nothing against any sadhana whatever, and that  all sadhanas are good in their own right. But, nevertheless, I would continue to extol the Atma-vichara as so many devotees of Sri Bhagwan have done in the past and are still doing.

Thanks very much, dear Sri Hari, for your response.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 08:00:16 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: September 15, 2014, 08:02:08 AM »
Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji,

Yes, thanks very much, Sir. The greatness of the celebrated romantic poets, such as Sri Wordsworth, Sri Keats, Sri Shelly and others, and the great poet and dramatist Sri Shakespeare, in my view, lies in the fact that they all sought, discerned and held an eternally fixed reference point within themselves, and sought to portray the beauty, bliss, holiness and perfection inherent in nature as the reflections of the same unchangeable, ever-present Reality within themselves. So, Sri Wordsworth discerns a Centre, a Termination and a last retreat, a Whole without dependence or defect, made for itself, happy in itself, perfect contentment, Unity entire, etc.

Holding the Unity Entire, the Poet contemplates:

"And soft, and gay, and beautiful thou art
Dear Valley, having in thy face a smile
Though peaceful, full of gladness. Thou art pleased,
Pleased with thy crags and woody steeps, thy Lake,
Its one green island and its winding shores;
The multitude of little rocky hills,
Thy Church and cottages of mountain stone
Clustered like stars some few, but single most,
And lurking dimly in their shy retreats,
Or glancing at each other cheerful looks
Like separated stars with clouds between."

Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji, what want we? For,

"have we not perpetual streams,
Warm woods, and sunny hills, and fresh green fields,
And mountains not less green, and flocks and herds,
And thickets full of songsters, and the voice
Of lordly birds, an unexpected sound
Heard now and then from morn to latest eve,
Admonishing the man who walks below
Of solitude and silence in the sky?"

Yes,

"These have we, and a thousand nooks of earth
Have also these,",

but yet,

"but nowhere else is found,
Nowhere (or is it fancy?) can be found
The one sensation that is here; 'tis here,
Here as it found its way into my heart
In childhood, here as it abides by day,
By night, here only; or in chosen minds
That take it with them hence, where'er they go.?
--'Tis, but I cannot name it, 'tis the sense
Of majesty, and beauty, and repose,
A blended holiness of earth and sky,"

How can the Poet name the nameless? Yes, dear Sri Nagaraj Ji, your discernment, in my view, is perfectly in place. That Place obviously can be nothing other than the Self or Sri Arunachala!

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 08:05:06 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: September 15, 2014, 08:06:17 AM »
Dear Devotees,

I am scheduled to pay visit to Holy Sri Ramanasramam and Sri Bhagwan's Samadhi in Tiruvannamalai on 2nd October of the current month. The President, Sri Ramanasramam allowed me graciously to visit the Ashram on 2nd October and stay for five days. Accordingly, I have booked all my journey  tickets nearly two months in advance from the date of the commencement of the journey.  However, there is still some uncertainty. I have not been able to secure the required leave from the office to be able to go on a 14 days tour to South India. I hope and pray that I may finally be able to get my leave sanctioned with Sri Bhagwan's Grace.  If not, I shall not be disheartened. I shall replan my tour and seek to visit the Ashram sometime in the month of December. I request all of you to kindly pray for me so that I may be able to pay the cherished visit to the Guru's Abode on 02.10.2014.

Dear devotees, since I wish to remain silent, and in solitude, as much as possible given the environment in which Divine placed me, at least till the time I return back to Patna on 11.10.2014, I shall be writing very little during this period, and not at all after the commencement of the journey on 27.09. 2014. 

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 09:35:33 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: September 15, 2014, 05:12:11 PM »
The state of non-emergence of 'I'
is the state of our being That.
Without questing for that state of the
non-emergence of 'I' and attaining it,
how can one accomplish one's own extinction,
whereafter 'I revives not?

Without that attainment how is it
possible to abide in one's own state
where one is That?

Sri Bhgawan
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 05:14:21 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: September 15, 2014, 06:06:08 PM »
Dear Sri Anil

Happy that you got the invite from Sri RamanaAshram for 5 days stay and that you have made all the arrangements for the same . I am sure you will get the necessary permission and leave from your office also .Bhagavan's Grace will make things possible and guide you accordingly . You have done the necessary efforts from your side , leave the rest to Bhagavan .
Make the best use of your stay in Sri Ramana Ashram .
All the best .Om Peace .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: September 15, 2014, 08:28:55 PM »
Anil,
Wishing you a Joyous pilgrimage to Sri Ramanasramam.
Namaskar

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: September 16, 2014, 07:44:48 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana:
"As all living beings desire to be happy always, without misery, as in the case of everyone there is observed supreme love for one's self, and as happiness alone is the cause for love, in order to gain that happiness which is one's true nature and which is experienced in the state of deep sleep where there is no mind, one should know one's Self. For that, path of Knowledge, the Enquiry of the form 'Who am I?', is the principal means. "
Introduction 'Who Am I?'

Dear Devotees,

'I' is the ultimate mystery. When we question 'Who am I?', such questioning creates perplexity and doubt in us. Such questioning, in the beginning, may seem to be unnatural and even out of place. But once one is convinced of the efficacy and necessity of the Enquiry, and after some preliminary hiccups, which one faces when one starts practicing it, we are not at odds with it anymore, rather, one is drawn to it irresistibly, and one finds that one is drawn to questioning 'Who am I? , Who?, What is It?' or whatever form this questioning takes, like a moth to a flame.

Dear devotees, the most crucial step in Vichara, that is, the one threshold we must cross is to graduate to making our questioning potent, vital, alive and vibrant, from what was once mechanical in the beginning.

An Ashram devotee wrote wonderfully in Mountain Path a few years back that the perplexity of Vichara is at first unknown to us, but as we follow the train of questioning, the mystery that underlies it begins to rise up on its own and capture our heart. Yes, dear devotees, when the mystery that underlies it begins to rise up on its own, our heart is captured, and what was once merely the mechanical questioning becomes spontaneous and self-activating. Practice itself begins to bestow peace and happiness.  We, then, question not to practice Vichara for the sake of its practice, nor to deepen our sadhana, BUT  BECAUSE  WE  WANT  TO  KNOW.  One then is seized with divine fervour to know. It is the manifestation and targeting of His Grace. It simply means that the Real Enquiry has begun. 

Dear devotees, obviously, crossing this threshold is essential to make our practice viable and efficacious, and to succeed in Sri Bhagwan's Way.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil       

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 07:48:58 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: September 16, 2014, 05:50:37 PM »
Dear Sri atmavichar and Sri Ravi,

Thanks very much, for you good wishes. But I have not yet been able to secure the necessary leave from the office to be able to embark on cherished pilgrimage to Sri Ramansramam on 27.09.2014, which is approximately 3000 K.M. away from my home city, Patna. I sought permission from the Hon'able President, Sri Ramanasramam two months back and booked train tickets accordingly. I do not like to travel by air particularly when I am visiting Sri Ramanasramam, in spite of vast distance, to be covered within 50 hours!. Side upper has always been my preferred birth for my journey to Sri Arunachala.

However, I am praying, and as Sri atmavichar said, hope to finally make it, by His Grace.

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 05:52:23 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: September 16, 2014, 06:33:33 PM »
Dear Sri Anil,

I pray too, that all the obstacles to your most cherished
visit to our beloved home Sri Ramanasramam, be removed
and Guru Ramana's blessings do the needful.

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: September 17, 2014, 07:23:11 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Root illusion is:
I am here, the individual, body, mind, intellect, et al.
And there is a world out there to enjoy it.   
Truth is there is neither.
Only wordless Illumination 'I-I' Is.

I read a few years back a very beautiful article named 'No Inner, No Outer', published in the Mountain Path. I am posting last few passages from the same, which I completely identified myself with, as following:

True Vichara:
'Who am I?', you discover, is the preeminent question, the starting point and ending point. It is abiding in the formless by virtue of not allowing the mind a place to abide. It is the shining ground of awareness whose light permeates and illumines all dualities and discriminations. If you ask by what route you can free yourself of the mind's turmoil, Bhagwan is emphatic: "Vichara is the ultimate route."

True vichara does not consist in asking an endless variety of questions but in asking only one question, like 'what? or 'who?', even a no-word question: It is the silent perplexity that undergirds questioning that is essential. This is true vichara. Ideally you would keep it, whatever the formulation, for long months, or even years. (Dear devotees, in my case one word question, only 'who?', works like fire. )

Conclusion:
Taking the path of vichara does not mean waiting until we have renounced: eliminating thoughts is the greatest renunciation. It does not mean waiting until our minds are pure: we come to vichara as we are, trusting in its vast potential to steadily scour and eventually do away with whatever demon or defilement may lurk within. It does not mean waiting until we have extra time in the meditation hall or get caught up in our domestic and professional duties; that time may never come. If obligations to family, friends and career seem to preclude setting our minds on enquiry, let us remind ourselves how preoccupied our minds are anyway, all the time, with idle chatter and aimless mental static. Is it not time to win back a share of the time spent on mental fretting, chronic anxiety and perpetual worry, and put that toward doing the practice Sri Raman gave us?

If our determination is strong, we can question right in the midst of ordinary daily activities--while brushing our teeth, while taking a bath, while getting dressed, while sitting down for a meal, or while at work. All these instances provide opportunities to turn the mundane into the sublime and bring our attention back to questioning.

Truly, Bhagwan tells us, vichara is the royal road. Even if, as beginners, we don't know where that will lead, it doesn't matter, the Master stands at its head, beckoning us, "This way! This way!"
What more could we ask for? He is showing us the way out.
Now it's up to us.

Yes, dear devotees, the Master is sitting at the head of the Vichara He taught, beckoning those who may come, "This Way! This Way!". SO, WHY  WORRY? WHERE  WILL  IT  LEAD  BUT  TO  HIM!

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   

« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 07:33:31 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: September 18, 2014, 07:21:51 AM »
Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji,

Thanks very much, my dear friend, for your good wishes and the wonderful photograph of Lord Sri Ganesha, the Remover of obstacles.
Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: September 18, 2014, 07:25:03 AM »
Sri Annamalai Swami:
It is always good to worship the Guru, but abiding in the Guru's teaching is far better. You can follow the bhakti path if you want to but you should remember that it is almost impossible for the devotee to judge whether he is making progress or not. You should not jump to the conclusion that you are not making progress with your self-enquiry simply because you find it hard to do. And you should not think that you will make progress as a bhakta simply because you find it easy to generate joyful states of mind.
The same consciousness which is within you and within Bhagwan's form is within all forms. We must learn to contact this consciousness by being aware of it all times.
Living By The Words of Bhagwan

The great  Writer and Devotee, Sri David Godman has written in his  wonderful  book 'Be As You Are' as following:

Traditionally the path of surrender is associated with dualistic devotional practices, but such activities were only of secondary importance to Sri Ramana. Instead He stressed that true surrender transcended worshipping God in a subject-object relationship since it could only be successfully accomplished when the one who imagined that he was separate from God had ceased to exist. To achieve this goal He recommended two distinct practices:
1. Holding on to the 'I'-thought until the one who imagines that he is separate from God disappears.
2. Completely surrendering all responsibility for one's life to God or the Self. For such self-surrender to be effective one must be completely free of the idea that there is an individual person who is capable of acting independently of God.

Dear Devotees,

Sri Godman writes further that the first method is clearly Self-enquiry masquerading under a different name (Surrender). The second method, of surrendering responsibility for one's life to God, is also related to Self-enquiry since it also aims to eliminate the 'I'-thought by separating it from the objects and actions that it constantly identifies with.

Dear devotees, although Sri Bhagwan has thus taught that the practices of Self-enquiry and surrender are the only two effective means by which Self-realisation can be achieved, He also taught that both were different names for the same process. Sri Godman writes beautifully thus:

"This is quite consistent with His view that any practice which involved awareness of the 'I'-thought was a valid and direct route to the Self, whereas all practices which didn't were not."

Sri Godman has written that this insistence on the subjective awareness of 'I' as the only means to reaching the Self coloured His attitude towards practices of bhakti and worship which are usually associated with surrender to God. However, I feel that nothing could colour His attitude, but that He spoke from the highest State, that is, from the State of Self-realisation. It is the Revelation.

It is true that Sri Bhagwan never discouraged His devotees from following such practices, but He pointed out that any relationship with God (devotee, worshipper, servant, etc.) was an illusory one since God alone exists. We are only too well aware of His Teaching that the true devotion is to remain as one really is, in the state of being in which all ideas about relationships with God have ceased to exist.

However, Sri Bhagwan has taught that spontaneous and complete surrender of the 'I' through bhakti or surrender is not possible for most people who pursue it. But He taught that the partial surrender is possible, and therefore, He sometimes advised His devotees to undertake preliminary practices which would cultivate love and bhakti for God and thus control their minds. 

Sri David Godman: "Most of these practices involved thinking of or meditating on God or the Guru either by constantly repeating his name (japa) or by visualising his form. He told His devotees that if this was done regularly with love and devotion then the mind would become effortlessly absorbed in the object of meditation."   

Dear devotees, Sri Annamalai Swami's Teaching , as quoted at the top, should, in my view, be understood in this light. If one is not able to gauge one's own progress in Self-enquiry, the joyful states of mind generated by a bhakta is also not necessarily the sign of progress in bhakti. However, yes, as Sri Ramakrishna has taught, if someone is endowed with ecstatic love, overflowing with prema, mad after God, intoxicated with His love with intense yearning and longing for Him, it is the quintessence of bhakti, ananya bhakti, and is certainly the sign of manifestation of His Grace.

Not only that, I believe that the essence of the teaching of all Gurus is the same as taught by Sri Bhagwan. If one has to seek God, one must seek Him within. Where else to seek Him then? Man's heart alone is the Seat of Realisation, nowhere else. Isn't it?

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 07:40:20 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: September 18, 2014, 06:09:55 PM »
An Excerpt from the Final Talks:

Sri Annamalai Swami:
"When I was serving Bhagwan in the 1930s and 40s, I obeyed only Him. For me, He was the light, and everything else was the chattering mind trying to lead me astray. I ignored the words and advice of everyone else in the ashram and kept all my attention on Bhagwan and His instructions to me. Even Chinnaswami had to concede, finally, that I was following the correct course."

"One day he (Sri Chinnaswami) came up to me and said, 'You are not listening to my words or carrying out my instructions. You are only paying attention to Bhagwan's orders. This determination could only be a result of all the punyas you have accumulated in many previous lives.'"

"If there is no external light such as Bhagwan to guide you, you have to look within to find the Self. You will not benefit from looking anywhere else, from doing anything else, or from listening to any other voice.  Walking round and round a temple, doing rituals to deity--activities like these will not bring you any nearer to the Self. The pujas, the japas, the rituals--these are just for beginners. Meditation is the syllabus in a higher class. We need not waste our time by indulging in the activities of the infant class again and again. Here, in this class, I ask you to put all your attention, all your interest on realising the final teaching: 'I am not the body or the mind. I am Self. All is the Self.' This is Bhagwan's final teaching. Nothing more needs to be added to it. Keep good company while you pursue this knowledge and all will be well."
Source: Final Talk, Page-76

Dear devotees, Sri Annamalai Swami is a Self-realised devotee of Sri Bhagwan. I felt prompted from within to post His above holy Utterances. Thank you.

Pranam,
  Anil     
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 06:13:49 PM by eranilkumarsinha »