Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 756067 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #3810 on: September 09, 2014, 02:40:56 PM »
Sri Ramanashrayee: What is the relationship between 'Vichara', Self-enquiry and repetition of sacred syllables (mantra japa)?
Sri Bhagwan: 'Vichara' itself is the mantra, japa, tapas, sacrifice and yoga.
Sri R: Does it mean that for those practicing Vichara it is unnecessary to repeat mantras?
Sri Bhagwan: 'Vichara' is the source, the essence of all mantras. All that is meant is that one should not be attached to doing the mantra as such. It does not preclude it.
Sri R: Sometimes involuntarily Vichara and japa overlap into each other. What is one to do then?
Sri Bhagwan: As the result of the previous practice even without effort this happens. But can either Vichara or japa take place without the 'I'? In both one has to fix one's attention to the source be it of the 'I' or of the mantra.
Source: Know Yourself, Conversations With Sri Ramana Maharshi, Sri A. R. Natarajan

Dear Devotees,

Sri Ganapati Muni, despite all his brilliance, vast learning and all his mantras and tapas, had not attained success as yet either with God or the world. He sought refuge at Sri Bhagwan's Feet, "Pray enlighten me as to the nature of tapas". Sri Bhagwan then compassionately revealed the nature of true Tapas, "If one watches whence the notion of 'I' arises , the mind is absorbed into That; that is Tapas. When a mantra is repeated, if one watches the Source from which the mantra sound is produced the mind is absorbed into that; that is tapas." This is how first Self-enquiry was revealed, enjoined and delivered to the world. In both Vichara as well as the mantra japa, one has to fix one's attention to the Source, be it of the I' or of the mantra. In that case where is the difference between Vichara and the mantra Japa? However, it is well known that Sri Bhagwan emphasised to fix one's attention on the Source of the 'I' rather than the Source of the mantra sound. Did He not?

Sri Bhagwan Statement that 'Vichara itself is the mantra, japa, tapas, sacrifice and yoga' should be understood, in my view, in the light of the above. Vichara is the Source, the Essence of all mantras. This is why Sri Bhagwan taught that all that is meant is that one should not be attached to doing the mantra as such, and rather one should fix one's attention on the Source of the sound of the mantra. AND THERE IS NO MISTAKING, THAT IS VICHARA IN GUISE OF MANTRA JAPA. IS IT NOT?
Thus, dear devotees, we see that while Bhagavan did explain the intricacies of other paths, including the path of ashtanga yoga, he never swerved from affirming the path of wisdom as the direct one.

Therefore, Sri Bhagwan's Message to the troubled mankind is inescapable "FIRST, KNOW THYSELF". The Message is too obvious to make an argument out of it. If cessation of mental activities is the aim of all yogas, the essence of all religions, purpose or goal of all spiritual practices is only this "Know Thyself". Is it not?

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
Anil

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: September 09, 2014, 02:42:13 PM »
Friends,

An excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:
"Look here. One cannot attain Knowledge unless one is free from egotism. There is a saying:
When shall I be free?
When 'I' shall cease to be

'I' and 'mine'-that is ignorance. 'Thou' and'Thine'-that is Knowledge. A true devotee says: 'O God, Thou alone art the Doer; Thou alone doest all. I am a mere instrument; I do as Thou makest me do. All these-wealth, possessions, nay, the universe Itself-belong to Thee. This house and these relatives are Thine alone, not mine. I am Thy servant; mine is only the right to serve Thee according to Thy bidding.'

All sages are saying the same thing-Whether one does Japa,Tapas or yoga,enquiry - the sense of 'I' and 'mine' has to go.

Namaskar.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: September 09, 2014, 03:04:53 PM »
Quote from Sri Ravi:
'I' and 'mine'-that is ignorance. 'Thou' and'Thine'-that is Knowledge. A true devotee says: 'O God, Thou alone art the Doer; Thou alone doest all. I am a mere instrument; I do as Thou makest me do. All these-wealth, possessions, nay, the universe Itself-belong to Thee. This house and these relatives are Thine alone, not mine. I am Thy servant; mine is only the right to serve Thee according to Thy bidding.'

Dear Devotees,

I do not practice 'Thou, thine, or I am thy servant, etc.', nor I know, nor I wish to know how to practice, though I am aware this is also a very efficacious sadhana in its own right. May be, I do not know. I know only to cling to myself, in His Presence, and reach the Source from where this ego-'I' is springing forth, in a thought free state. This sadhana of Atma-vichara, as taught by Sri Bhagwan, is quite enough for me. Sri Bhagwan has assured that if I do that, I need not do anything else by way of sadhana.  Has he not?

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 03:08:53 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: September 09, 2014, 03:24:22 PM »
Anil Bhai,
The 'Thou' and 'thine' is nothing but the path of self surrender that Sri Bhagavan taught.The expression is different here,that is all.It is what Sri Bhagavan meant when he said-Appavukku Pillai adakaam-The son is beholden to the Father.This form of expression appeals to some devotees.It helps them to  efface the sense of 'I'.
Yes,I agree that you need to follow what appeals to you and what you clearly understand.
The supreme Brahman-there is no room for 'I' or 'You' or 'That' or anything else.It is ineffable.
The 'I' 'thou' 'It' or 'That' are all used to indicate what defies everything.Whatever clue is appealing to one,one takes that and proceeds.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: September 09, 2014, 03:41:44 PM »
Anil Bhai,
When we say 'Everything is Sri Bhagavan' Grace,Nothing is a result of my effort'-we are Practising 'Thou' and 'Thine' only.Just that the expression is different.
Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: September 09, 2014, 03:44:42 PM »
Once some devotee said: "Without Him, not even an atom would move."

Sri Bhagavan corrected:  "He moves and He moves not."   

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: September 09, 2014, 05:26:46 PM »
Quote from Sri Ravi:
The 'Thou' and 'thine' is nothing but the path of self surrender that Sri Bhagavan taught.The expression is different here,that is all.It is what Sri Bhagavan meant when he said-Appavukku Pillai adakaam-The son is beholden to the Father.This form of expression appeals to some devotees.It helps them to efface the sense of 'I'.
Yes,I agree that you need to follow what appeals to you and what you clearly understand.
The supreme Brahman-there is no room for 'I' or 'You' or 'That' or anything else.It is ineffable.
The 'I' 'thou' 'It' or 'That' are all used to indicate what defies everything.Whatever clue is appealing to one,one takes that and proceeds.

When we say 'Everything is Sri Bhagavan' Grace, Nothing is a result of my effort'-we are Practising 'Thou' and 'Thine' only.Just that the expression is different.

Dear Sri Ravi,

Yes. But do you really think that I do not understand what you have posted above? Anyone who has, by His Grace, been enabled to grasp Atma-vichara and practiced it in right manner, as taught by Sri Bhagwan, such a one will naturally and automatically understand the meaning and implication of complete self-surrender. As He progresses on the Sadhana path, he will gradually learn to abide in his pure state of being, which is central to his existence, and thus he will go on surrendering to the cause of his being spontaneously, as Sri Bhagwan has taught.  Atma-vichara is all inclusive, and Source of everything.
I feel that one doing Atma-vichara need not be taught "not I Lord, but Thou only." I am cent percent certain that such a one will himself reach there of its own accord. He will see and be that unity himself. Only thing I do not practice that line, and there is no need for me to do so.

Therefore, I kindly request you not to stretch yourself unnecessarily to make me understand what you want me to understand. Sri Bhagwan's Grace and His Teaching have already made me aware and understand what is needed to be understood for the practice of His great Method. I wish to do that silently, and if prompted from within, to contribute a post or two, to a site which is dedicated to Bhagwan Sri Ramana and His great Teaching. That is all there is to it.

Pranam,
  Anil

« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 05:36:30 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: September 09, 2014, 05:47:32 PM »
"In fact, according to the Vedanta Choodamani, a Tamil book on Vedanta, which Bhagavan loved to quote, one of the most important functions of a devotee is the upholding of his or her Master's teachings in comprehension, practice, and sharing with others."

The Human Gospel Of Ramana Maharshi

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan's Emphasis is only too well-known! He Himself picks up His preys. We need not disseminate His Teaching. It Itself is the Sun removing the darkness from the minds of His devotees. Thanks. Pranam, Anil
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 05:57:52 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: September 10, 2014, 07:20:44 AM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

I love all paths and all spiritual aspirants in the world irrespective of the paths or ways they may be following to reach God or realise the Self. I have no doubt about that within me from the very beginning. Nor I ever regarded any valid, age-long accepted sadhana as inferior. I also understand that discrimination, earnestness, perseverance, integrity, longing, yearning, etc., are such merits with which one can succeed whatever sadhana one is following. Each one of us is only there where destiny and His Grace have placed. It ordained for me to practice Vichara as with innumerable devotees and seekers all over the world, Vichara which in truth is all inclusive, which indeed embraces all, and which is ever available to me spontaneously, I would naturally like to be one with Vichara even in my posts so that they are at once part of my sadhana. After all, I am a simple, ordinary bhakta and not a learned person. However, Vichara enabled me to see the hollowness of the dry learnedship.  Besides, Sri Bhagwan has enjoined and declared that the Atmavichara is the Straight Path, the only Direct One, and I need not go to any body to know why, for I understand fully well why it is.

Quote from Sri Ravi:
"Friend, so does the aspirant who practises any other path ,provided he is sincere and has the earnestness. There is no such a thing as the 'Best' Path' or 'ultimate' path'- that eventually all have to necessarily go that way."

Dear Sri Ravi, Sri Bhagwan has taught that the moment the ego-self tries to know itself, it starts changing character. It begins to partake less and less of the jada in which it is absorbed and more and more of the Consciousness of the Self.
This is how one who follows Sri Bhagwan's Atma-vichara begins to taste the peace and bliss of the Self from very beginning. It strengthens one's resolve as well as earnestness to pursue the path more sincerely with more and more zeal and endeavour, and thus tastes the peace and bliss of the Self progressively more and more; dipping in, and recognition of the truth of the scriptural texts and mahavakyas begin to dawn. Yes, of course, it all depends on one's maturity. Sri Bhagwan Himself was a perfect Sage after His maiden Self-enquiry. On that eventful day in a room on the first floor of His uncle's house in Madura, He performed Self-enquiry for the first and last time, and that was enough for Him. However, He later clarified that the necessary sadhana or the effort must have been done in His previous birth.  Nevertheless, it indeed quickens the development of a spiritual aspirant whatever the maturity of the aspirant, and one should understand, it means and translates to a lot when one is on the Straight Marga. This is why Sri Bhagwan once compared His Atma-vichara to a Jnana Airplane to Sri Annamalai Swami. 

Quote from Sri Ravi:
"What Sri Bhagavan meant in saying that eventually everyone has to come to 'self-enquiry' just tantamounts to this-that eventually everyone has to set aside the 'ego' sense. Nothing more than this and nothing less as well."

Yes, dear Sri Ravi, but it is for this very reason that Sri Bhagwan's Atma-vichara is the Direct One. Unlike in other paths, Ego is targeted from the very beginning of the sadhana of the Atma-vichara, and since it is unreal, it cannot sustain for long the scrutiny or the searchlight of the Enquiry, and disappears. 

Quote from Sri Ravi:
"Even then, it is The Divine Grace that is supreme and that has to bestow Realization and not one's effort."

Dear Sri Ravi, yes, it is true, it is Grace which bestows Jnana. But Sri Bhagwan has taught unequivocally that effort is sine qua non, and Grace is vouchsafed only to him who is a true yogin , who has striven hard and ceaselessly on the path towards freedom.

Thanks very much, dear Sri Ravi. However, I wish to say that the above response emanated from the depth of my heart, and so accordingly I have responded. I had first been going to post this in your thread, but it immediately occurred to me to post this there where most or all discussion, of late, has taken place.

Pranam,
  Anil

« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 07:26:06 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: September 10, 2014, 07:53:15 AM »
Anil,
Thanks very much for taking the time(I Know how short of it you must be) to give detailed comments.All the comments that we post here are not aimed at the aspirant or individual but are impersonal and are valid in a specific as well as general way.In a one to one talk there will not be this sort of a need for back and forth exchanges that looks argumentative.In a general forum,what is posted has to make sense to a general pool of people and what actually happens is that we often find that if what we post appeals to one set of people it puts off another set.Such is the variety out there. :)

I also do not lay much store by any 'Learning' or 'accumulated Knowledge' or 'Scriptural Knowledge' -Yet,it also has a positive side in that it expands our horizon and facilitates us to see whether the same Truth is packaged differently and quite often this is the case.It is also true that when so expressed differently,it may be easily grasped by a certain section of people and they are in a position to put that into practice.

To get back to this subject -All sadhana begin out of an inner search and inner experience only.All external factors serve only this purpose-to awaken us to the inner verities and one who has once tasted this would return again and again to this,goes deeper and deeper,until he is established in the very source of it.

This is how Sri Aurobindo puts it in that wonderful chapter 'Four Aids' in the Synthesis of Yoga:

The lotus of the eternal knowledge and the eternal perfection is a bud closed and folded up within us. It opens swiftly or gradually, petal by petal, through successive realisations, once the mind of man begins to turn towards the Eternal, once his heart, no longer compressed and confined by attachment to finite appearances, becomes enamoured, in whatever degree, of the Infinite. All life, all thought, all energising of the faculties, all experiences passive or active, become thenceforward so many shocks which disintegrate the teguments of the soul and remove the obstacles to the inevitable efflorescence. He who chooses the Infinite has been chosen by the Infinite. He has received the divine touch without which there is no awakening, no opening of the spirit; but once it is received, attainment is sure, whether conquered swiftly in the course of one human life or pursued patiently through many stadia of the cycle of existence in the manifested universe.

Nothing can be taught to the mind which is not already concealed as potential knowledge in the unfolding soul of the creature. So also all perfection of which the outer man is capable, is only a realising of the eternal perfection of the Spirit within him. We know the Divine and become the Divine, because we are That already in our secret nature. All teaching is a revealing, all becoming is an unfolding. Self-attainment is the secret; self-knowledge and an increasing consciousness are the means and the process.

I have not come across a better and clearer expression than the above passage by Sri Aurobindo.

This is the expansion of what Swami Vivekananda has said:

Each soul is potentially divine. The goal is to manifest this divinity by controlling nature, external and internal. Do this either by work, or worship, or psychic control, or philosophy - by one, or more, or all of these - and be free. This is the whole of religion. Doctrines, or dogmas, or rituals, or books, or temples, or forms, are but secondary details.

It is the same that Sri Bhagavan has said:

Absorption in the Heart of being, Whence we sprang, Is the path of Karma, of Bhakti, Of yoga and of Jnana.

Anil Bhai,I know you and as I have said earlier -you are indeed blessed.

Namaskar.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 08:01:34 AM by Ravi.N »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: September 10, 2014, 07:05:17 PM »
"Each soul is potentially divine. The goal is to manifest this divinity by controlling nature, external and internal. Do this either by work, or worship, or psychic control, or philosophy - by one, or more, or all of these - and be free. This is the whole of religion. Doctrines, or dogmas, or rituals, or books, or temples, or forms, are but secondary details."
Swami Sri Vivekananda

Dear Sri Ravi,

These nectarine words of Swami Sri Vivkananda has been my first real spiritual lesson ever. I cannot express how much these few sacred words from the lips of one of the greatest spiritual giants of India affected me as a child when it was taught in school in Hindi. Even now when some friends or relatives corner me and dispute that there is no God, or if there is a God, nobody knows Him, or nobody can ever know Him and that I am wasting my time seeking Him, I quote these immortal lines of our great Swami. Even I have quoted these immortal words a few times in this thread also.

What struck me later was the phrase 'controlling nature, external and internal'. I understood that divinity in me could be manifested by controlling nature, external as well as internal. When I read his complete works in 9 volumes, then I understood that not only external nature is bound and functions according to Law, but our internal nature is bound too and it also operates according to law. Both are bound by Law. And it followed that indeed  I was bound, and not a free entity, much as I wished to believe.

Ji, yes, dear Sri Ravi Bhai saheb, in essence Sri Bhagwan's holy Utterance that 'absorption in the Heart of being, whence we sprang, is the path of Karma, of Bhakti, of yoga and of Jnana' is indeed same as the famous Utterance of Swami Sri Vivkananda. I am very happy to see that you have discerned the unity with your beautiful insight. Absorption in the Heart of being and being free from the bound nature is the whole of religion, the whole of spirituality. 

Thanks very much, dear Sri Ravi Bhai Saheb.
Pranam,
 Anil

« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 06:58:33 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: September 11, 2014, 07:08:53 AM »
Limitless Vision

Only those who have searched with inward attention for the Lord of the jiva inside the temple of that extremely subtle jiva, and have indisputably found him, thereby gaining a clear understanding , will also be able to see unwaveringly his swarupa shining undividedly  in the astonishingly great temple of the world.
V-344, GVK, Sri David Godman

For those who have clearly known, without confusion, the truth that Ishwara resides and shines as the soul of their soul, even the presence of a worm that is despised by others will become a love-inspiring manifestation of God's presence.
V-345, GVK, Sri David Godman

In those who abide in the Heart that exists as the form of grace, the mind, whose nature is darkness, will completely die. In their vision, which has attained the splendour of the direct experience that overflows, assuming the form of reality, everywhere and everything is saturated with bliss.
V. 346, GVK, Sri David Godman

God, the Immanent One, appears to those with fleshy eyes in bright and beautiful forms; to accomplished yogis he appears in their heart-lotus; to Brahmins in the rising and bright sacrificial fire, but to jnanis who possess the infinite eye, he appears everywhere.
V-347, GVK, Sri David Godman

Dear Devotees,

Sri Muruganar, the Poet of Sri Bhagwan's Divine Court, says here that since everyone perceives the world in accordance with the way that he perceives himself, those  who have not enquired and known, without doubt and wrong understanding persisting, the nature of the Supreme within themselves, will not be able to see it outside either.  To see Him everywhere, to see the Infinite, first we need to possess the Infinite Eye. Do we not? Therefore, first,we must enquire and reach the Heart of being from where we rose as creature having a sense or feeling of 'I', be absorbed there, and know without doubt that Ishwara shines as the Soul of our soul, then even much despised worm will become love-inspiring manifestation of God's Presence. Mere pretension will not stand us in good stead on the sadhana path. 

Thanks very much,
Pranam,
   Anil 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 07:12:18 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: September 11, 2014, 06:47:44 PM »
                                         WHEN I GO ALONE AT NIGHT

When I go alone at night to my love-tryst, birds do not sing, the wind does not stir, the houses on both sides of the street stand silent.
It is my own anklets that grow loud at every step and I am ashamed.

When I sit on my balcony and listen for his footsteps, leaves do not rustle on the trees, and the water is still in the river like the sword on the knees of a sentry fallen asleep.
It is my own heart that beats wildly -- I do not know how to quiet it.

When my love comes and sits by my side, when my body trembles and my eyelids droop, the night darkens, the wind blows out the lamp, and the clouds draw veils over the stars.
It is the jewel at my own breast that shines and gives light. I do not know how to hide it.

Sri Rabindranath Tagore

« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 06:49:30 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: September 12, 2014, 07:38:03 AM »
Perennial springs of Love are bubbling everywhere.
Continuous streams of Joy are flowing everywhere.
Unbroken waves of Light roll on everywhere.
The great Truth itself holds the feast everywhere.

Beloved Papa, Sri Ramdas

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: September 12, 2014, 07:40:23 AM »
Dear Devotees,

It was after reading Self-realization, The Life and Teachings of Bhagawan, authored by Sri B. V. Narsimha Swami, that Sri Paul Brunton, Sri Bhikshu Prabhavananda, Swami Sri Madhava Thirtha,  Sri Suddhananda Bharati, Swami Sri Shivananda, Swami Sri Ramdas, and an array of spiritual giants of their time recognized Sri Bhagwan and came to Him. Many give the credit of Sri Bhagawan's widespread fame and recognition to  Sri  Paul Brunton, but they do not know that it was this book that drew Sri Brunton to Sri Bhagawan.

Dear devotees, when I learnt from Sri Subramanian sir that Sri Narsimha Swami ultimately went away to Shirdi Sai Baba to compose and sing bhajans and pursue the path of bhakti, it came as a shock to me also like Sri Ganesan as described by him below. However, when I read Sri Ganesan's account in the Human Gospel, I understood that he went away because it was his destiny. However, I feel that all Sri Bhagwan's devotees should know better, and this is why I am posting an excerpt from the book 'Human Gospel of Ramana Maharshi' in which Sri Ganesan has described in detail about this episode, as following: 

An excerpt from the Human Gospel of Ramana Maharshi:
Sri B. V. Narasimha Swami was a brilliant lawyer in Salem, ninety miles from Sri Arunachala. He was a very famous politician, a great orator, and writer with a razor-sharp intellect that drove straight into the heart of a subject and extracted its Truth. It is thanks to his questioning mind that we now have this brilliant book, which attracted an audience of communicators. When he was at the zenith of prosperity, name and fame, a massive family tragedy furnished a rude shock. His two grown-up children drowned in the well in his very own yard, right before his eyes. All he could do was watch helplessly, without being able to save them. Unable to bear his grief, he resigned from the War Council and gave up his political career. He disappointed many leaders in India, because the presence of talented individuals like him was needed for India's freedom struggle. He came to know of Sri Bhagwan and headed straight to Sri Ramanashram. On seeing Sri Bhagawan, he fell at His Feet. With a single glance, Sri Bhagawan accepted him, directed him to a cave, and asked him to meditate.
As a good disciple, he unquestioningly abided by his Master's instruction. He spent three years in seclusion, in complete contemplation and meditation. However, he realized that there was something which was drastically needed: a book on Bhagavan's life, which nobody knew of. 'I must bring out the biography of Bhagavan, a living sage. Nobody knows about his life except through rare accounts, which may even be factually incorrect.' His incisive intellect was to deliver the Truth correctly to the world. This was a demanding responsibility, because even though he had not vowed silence, Bhagavan did not talk much, and even more rarely about himself.
B. V. Narasimha Swami sought Bhagavan's permission and Bhagavan graciously consented. He started the process of asking Bhagavan questions. Bhagavan did not always respond because sometimes he did not feel like talking. However, B. V. Narasimha Swami was persistent. He doggedly followed Bhagavan wherever He went; even slept next to Bhagavan at night. Whenever he asked a question, his whole attention would be focused on receiving an answer. He has recorded, that sometimes it would take days, a week, or even more, to get one simple answer from Bhagavan. But he remained relentless. His persistent determination is what made him unique, and that is why even the mention of his name draws so much reverence from every old devotee of Bhagavan.  (I feel that devotees even now who come to the Lotus feel of Sri Bhagwan are equally grateful and have great reverence for Sri Swami, Anil.)

He not only questioned Bhagavan, it was his nature to elicit details straight from the source. Therefore he travelled to Tiruchuzhi, Madurai, and Dindigul to speak to Bhagavan's associates and kin. Whenever he received any information about Bhagavan's relative or friend in some village, he would go there immediately. He would pry them with questions too; however, perfectionist that he was, he would verify every fact with Bhagavan. Therefore, everything written in the book is accurate and the Truth.
One of the most important things that old devotees told me was that we owe the vivid account of Bhagavan's ego-death experience at Madurai to B. V. Narasimha Swami. His incessant questioning drew from Bhagavan every minute detail of the experience, when he was a sixteen-year-old boy. Bhagavan said there was no time and space in his transformation, which made him a sage of steady wisdom. B. V. Narasimha Swami condensed these details and presented the final draft to Bhagavan, who approved it and titled the book, Self-realization. Once this was done, Narasimha Swami put up a hut next to his cave for cooking. He wanted other sadhakas to build similar huts, and helped them. He also trained them in a simple way of cooking to save them time and money, which allowed each sadhu to spend the maximum time in Bhagavan's presence. Through his meticulous sadhana, he set an example of how the Master?s teaching was followed. It was he who formed the nearby Palakothu community.
When this was over, he developed a natural tendency, a vasana, toward singing bhajans and dancing emotionally for God. He kept pleading with Bhagavan, "Bhagavan, this is my nature. Will you please guide me? I would like to sing bhajans and follow the devotional path." Bhagavan kept postponing his reply, but he did not give in. Finally, Bhagavan advised him, "Go toward the north-west of India to pursue your path of devotion." B. V. Narasimha Swami left Arunachala and went toward Bombay, in the west. During his travels he met many saints on the devotional path but was totally disappointed with all of them. Even a great sage like Upasani Baba tried to help him, but he was not satisfied. However, it was Upasani Baba who finally told him to go to Shirdi.
He obeyed and went to the tomb of Shirdi Sai Baba who had passed away ten years earlier. At night (and this is done to this day), devotees gather to sing bhajans with devotion. When he stood in front of Sai Baba's Samadhi, the saint's inspiration came to him from within, "Child, I am your guru. Stay here and write my biography." Therefore, he started meeting those people who lived with Sai Baba and compiled a six-volume biography of the celebrated sage. On its completion, Baba told him, "Spread my name and spread this teaching." He then came to Madras and started a Sai Baba center. He built a temple there and Shirdi Sai Baba?s name was spread by B. V. Narasimha Swami all over India.
When I came to Ramanashram in 1960, I was pained to hear that such a remarkable man had left Bhagavan and gone somewhere else. One day I asked T. P. Ramachandra Iyer, another old devotee, "Why did Narasimha Swami leave Bhagavan and go elsewhere?" T. P. Ramachandra Iyer replied, "I am happy you put this question to me because I was hesitating to share with others a fact I know." In late 1955 or early 1956, T. P. Ramachandra Iyer boarded the train in Tiruvannamalai to go to Vellore in the first class compartment on Ashram work. He was surprised to find B. V. Narasimha Swami, too, seated in the first class compartment, with a broken leg in a huge bandage. Like every old devotee who held B. V. Narasimha Swami in the highest esteem, he was thrilled to see him.
"I raised the same question before B. V. Narasimha Swami that you put to me, Ganesan. I asked him, 'Why did you leave Bhagavan and go?'" T. P. Ramachandra Iyer revealed what B. V. Narasimha Swami told him, "BHAGWAN  SPECIALLY  DIRECTED  ME  TO  DO  SO.  When we both were alone, I was pestering him as usual that my intention is to sing bhajans. Taking pity on me, he said, 'Go to Shirdi.' He told me in unmistakable terms that I should bring out the biography of Shirdi Sai Baba. He added that I should make Sai Baba known all over India. It was Bhagavan who said this, so I agreed. It was Bhagavan's graciousness and compassion that he wanted such aspirations of mine to be shuttled through another saint, instead of getting involved in mere display of emotional dancing and singing. I did not go straight to Shirdi, though Bhagavan asked me to go" He added, "I admit my folly in not truly obeying Bhagavan's commandment. I went to other living saints, strongly questioning how Sai Baba could guide me, now that he was dead. This is the mind coming into play. All my efforts to be with the living saints in due course deeply disappointed me. Finally, it was at Shirdi that Sai Baba revealed himself as my guru, took me into his fold, blessed me with grace, and guided me to the Truth. For directing me to Sai Baba, I am eternally grateful to Bhagavan. I did not reveal this Truth of being guided by Bhagavan to go to Sai Baba, as I felt people would not understand the spiritual content of the entire episode. This is the Truth." T. P. Ramachandra Iyer recounted that there were tears in his eyes.
Even when I was in college, I would visit the Sai Baba shrine, because behind it was B. V. Narasimha Swami's shrine. Pooja is offered there, and even now, above it hangs a big picture of Bhagavan. Since it was Bhagavan who directed B. V. Narasimha Swami to go to Sai Baba, I would prostrate before Sai Baba's shrine, receive His blessings, and then prostrate before B. V. Narasimha Swami, who was so instrumental in initiating Bhagavan's message to the world.

Pranam,
  Anil

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 07:54:45 AM by eranilkumarsinha »