Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 755641 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #3795 on: September 07, 2014, 08:05:44 PM »
There was a king who created, through his magical art, barriers and walls, one within the other, with which to surround himself. All these were, however, really illusory. He commanded that money be spread around at the gates of each of these walls to see how great the determination and desire of his subjects, how much effort each one of them would make, to come to the king.

There were those of his subjects who immediately returned home after they had collected a little money at the gates of these illusory walls. There were others who got as far as the second or third walls. But there were very few who did not desire to collect merely physical treasures, only to reach the king himself.

After considerable effort they came to the king and saw that there were really no barriers and walls, everything was a magical illusion.

So it is with God. Those who truly understand know that all the barriers and walls of iron, all the garments and coverings are really on God himself in hiding, as it were, because there is no place where he is not.

Another classic story:

The ten foolish men? forded a stream and on reaching the other shore wanted to make sure that all of them had in fact safely crossed the stream. One of the ten began to count, but while counting the others left himself out.

?I see only nine; sure enough, we have lost one. Who can it be?? he said.

?Did you count correctly?? asked another, and did the counting himself. But he too counted only nine.

One after the other each of the ten counted only nine, missing himself.

?We are only nine,? they all agreed, ?but who is the missing one?? they asked themselves. Every effort they made to discover the ?missing? individual failed.

?Whoever he is that is drowned,? said the most sentimental of the ten fools, ?we have lost him.? So saying he burst into tears, and the others followed suit.

Seeing them weeping on the river bank, a sympathetic wayfarer enquired about the cause. They related what had happened and said that even after counting themselves several times they could find no more than nine.

On hearing the story, but seeing all the ten before him, the wayfarer guessed what had happened. In order to make them know for themselves they were really ten, that all of them had survived the crossing, he told them, ?Let each of you count for himself but one after the other serially, one two, three, and so on, while I shall give you each a blow so that all of you may be sure of having been included in the count, and included only once. The tenth missing man will then be found.?

Hearing this they rejoiced at the prospect of finding their ?lost? comrade and accepted the method suggested by the wayfarer.

While the kind wayfarer gave a blow to each of the ten in turn, he that got the blow counted himself aloud. ?Ten,? said the last man as he got the last blow in his turn.

Bewildered they looked at one another, ?We are ten,? they said with one voice and thanked the wayfarer for having removed their grief.

?Such is the case with you. Truly there is no cause for you to be miserable and unhappy. You yourself impose limitations on your true nature of infinite being, and then weep that you are but a finite creature. Then you take up this or that spiritual practice to transcend the non-existent limitations.

?Hence I say, know that you are really the infinite pure being, the Self. You are always that Self and nothing but that Self. Therefore, you can never be really ignorant of the Self. Your ignorance is merely an imaginary ignorance, like the ignorance of the ten fools about the lost tenth man.? (Be as you are)

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: September 07, 2014, 08:53:02 PM »
Dear Shri Anil,
In some of your much earlier posts , when facing some alternate opinion or criticism you became occasionally defensive.
But now you seem to have eschewed the need to defending yourself or reacting aggressively thus showing that you truly are well on the way to Godliness and truly being a champion of  Bhagavan's self enquiry  .Please do keep posting till perhaps the divine will willls otherwise.
I have one request to you ,Shri RAvi , Shri Subramanian ,Shri Nagaraj,Krishnan and Jewell i.e to whom I am welll acquainted with in this forum and others also.
Please share with us with your independent ideas about what Shri Arunachala means to all of us  in the path of enquiry . THough  I am in Chennai , for some reason or the other I am not fortunate to visit THiruvannamalai often .THough this is more of a personal problem in keeping with thebspirit of this thread , I request you to generalise and give a feedback on what Arunachala wills with respect to us (by us I mean including others who have a similar issue in this regard.)
Also I would like all of you to also share your independent views on what Ganapathi Muni meant by invoking Bhagavan through his Dhyana Shloka.Does Bhagavan exist in some etheral spehere and can be invoked like when he was in the flesh or what did KAvyakantha Ganapati MUni really mean in this regard.
Regards,
Anand Sundaram.
Sundaram Anand

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: September 07, 2014, 09:46:28 PM »
Anand sundaram,

I have one request to you ,Shri RAvi , Shri Subramanian ,Shri Nagaraj,Krishnan and Jewell i.e to whom I am welll acquainted with in this forum and others also.Please share with us with your independent ideas about what Shri Arunachala means to all of us  in the path of enquiry.THough  I am in Chennai , for some reason or the other I am not fortunate to visit THiruvannamalai often

Friend,It is said 'smaranAth ArunAchala'-To just think of ArunAchala is enough and this is truly so.This is how Sri Bhagavan opens the wonderful Akshara MaNa mAlai:

அருணாசலம் என அகமே நினைப்பவர்
அகத்தை வேர் அறுப்பாய் அருணாசலா

O Arunachala, You root out the ego of those who think 'Arunachalam' in the heart.

Even in his boyhood days,Sri Bhagavan had this name resonating within him-and it was only when he his uncle told him that he came from ArunAchalam,that he came to know that there is such a place on earth!This is how he later on came to tiruvannamalai and spent the golden period of his gracious presence there until his mahAsamAdhi.
Those who chant akshara mana malai and steep themselves in its incomparable sweetness need not go anywhere and do not need any other sadhana.This is what Sri Bhagavan says in the very opening verse.Nevertheless it is highly beneficial to visit this place and recharge one's spiritual battery once a while or as often one feels so prompted.
Just why and how ArunAchala is so special is indeed mysterious-It does have the power to still the mind and reveal itself as the all swallowing  Self .

சகலமும்  விழுங்குங் கதிரொளி யினமன
சலச மலர்த்தியி டருணாசலா.

O Arunachala, sun of bright rays who swallow everything ( the entire world-picture); make my mind lotus blossom.

ArunAchalam is the very embodiment of the Self visible to the naked eye-it has the power to bestow this vision.No need to resort to any other sadhana than steeping oneself in this thought-It is arunA and it is achalA.To just think of it is to steep oneself in Silence.

You still seems to be thinking that Bhagavan is present in some form somewhere in some distant world.Bhagavan is ever with us and is the Self.We shall know it when our mind is steeped in silence.Bhagavan was just that when his physical vehicle graced this earth and He is still the same when the pillow case of the body is shed.

Namaskar

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: September 08, 2014, 03:21:38 AM »
Dear Sri Anand,

I have one request to you ,Shri RAvi , Shri Subramanian ,Shri Nagaraj,Krishnan and Jewell i.e to whom I am welll acquainted with in this forum and others also.
Please share with us with your independent ideas about what Shri Arunachala means to all of us  in the path of enquiry . THough  I am in Chennai , for some reason or the other I am not fortunate to visit THiruvannamalai often .THough this is more of a personal problem in keeping with thebspirit of this thread , I request you to generalise and give a feedback on what Arunachala wills with respect to us (by us I mean including others who have a similar issue in this regard.)
Also I would like all of you to also share your independent views on what Ganapathi Muni meant by invoking Bhagavan through his Dhyana Shloka.Does Bhagavan exist in some etheral spehere and can be invoked like when he was in the flesh or what did KAvyakantha Ganapati MUni really mean in this regard.

The way i see it,Arunachala is verily God Himself,our True Self,the Heart of everything which exist,or does not exist. Our Guru,our Father,our Beloved,Supreme God Himself,Lord Shiva Himself. I tend to see it like any other incarnation of God. It is also our very Being,Satguru. Bhagavan and Lord Arunachala are the reason i am here,in this forum. Even,truly,only He knows the reason.There is this strong pull of our Father,His presence and His working. And even these very fights between us all,when they happen occasionally,i see like His cleaning actually. Burning all the impurities.

I never went to Tiru,and never put my foot on this Holy ground,but i never felt this to be disadvantage. Is there anything in this white world which is not God! Where i am,or You,or anyone else,there is God also. There is Bhagavan,there is Arunachala. My very heart is beating coz of Him,i am breathing coz of Him,He cannot be somewhere far. He is my Very Self. And Bhagavan and Lord Arunachala,they are One and the same Reality. He hears my prayer,my calling before even i say anything. Infact,it is Him who does everything.

What Arunachala wills for us,or from us,well,it wills our Freedom,our Realization of our true nature. To see who this 'I' is. To have Bhagavan in our hearts,to forget about distance,coz there is no distance,to feel His Presence where ever we are. Like Bhagavan Golden words :"Where should I go. I am Here!". And for me,Here means in Your Very Heart,it means everywhere... All is verily Him only!

With love and prayers,

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: September 08, 2014, 11:25:05 AM »
Sri Bhagwan: Be equally indifferent to both (happiness and misery) and abide in the faith of God. That will be so only when one's faith is strong that God looks after all of us.
D: How shall I secure that firm faith?
Sri BHagwan: Exactly. It is for such as these who want instructions. There are persons who seek freedom from misery. They are told that God guides all and so there need not be any concern about what happens. If they are of the best type they at once believe it firmly and abide by faith in God.
But there are others who are not so easily convinced of the truth of the bare statement. They ask: "Who is God? What is His Nature? Where is He? How can He be realised?" and so on. In order to satisfy them intellectual discussion is found necessary. Statements are made, their pros and cons are argued, and the truth is thus made clear to the intellect.
When the matter is understood intellectually the earnest seeker begins to apply it practically. He argues at every moment, "For whom are these thoughts? Who am I?" and so forth, until he is well-established in the conviction that a Higher Power guides us. That is firmness of faith.  Then all his doubts are cleared and he needs no further instructions.
D: We also have faith in God.
Sri Bhagwan: If it had been firm no questions would have arisen. The person will remain perfectly happy in his Faith in the Omnipotent.
D: Is the enquiry into the Self the same as the above mentioned faith?
 Sri Bhagwan: THE  ENQUIRY  INTO  THE  SELF  IS  INCLUSIVE  OF  ALL,  FAITH,  DEVOTION,  JNANA,  YOGA  AND  ALL.
D: A man sometimes finds that the physical body does not permit steady meditation. Should he practice yoga for training the body for the purpose?
Sri Bhagwan: It is according to one's samskaras (predispositions). One man will practice hatha yoga for curing his bodily ills; another man will trust God to cure him; a third man will use his will power for it and a fourth man may be totally indifferent to them. But all of them will persist in mediation. THE  QUEST  FOR  THE  SELF  IS  THE  ESSENTIAL  FACTOR  AND  THE  REST  ARE  MERE  ACCESSORIES.
A man have mastered the Vedanta philosophy and yet remain unable to control his thoughts. He may have a predisposition which takes him to practice hatha yoga. He will believe that the mind can be controlled only by yoga and so he will practiced it.
D: What is most suitable for gaining facilities for steady dhyana?
Sri Bhagwan: It depends on one's samskaras. One may find hatha yoga suitable another man nama japa, and so on. THE  ESSENTIAL  POINT  IS  THE  ATMA-VICHARA--ENQUIRY  INTO  THE  SELF.
From the Talk-596

Dear Devotees,

How many of us have that strong Faith and are established in the conviction that a Higher Power guides us, and therefore, are abiding in the faith of God, indifferent to both happiness and misery, to start with? Yes, dear devotees, long ago, questions arose within me, as Sri Bhagwan has said above.    "Who is God? What is His Nature? Where is He? How can He be realised?" and so on, and I understood through Gita that He, in truth, abides as the Self (verily as the true 'I' in my own heart).
Dear devotees, once this conviction grows and takes deeper and deeper root, one will search God within and not without.  It is then that the earnest seeker begins to apply it practically. He argues at every moment, "For whom are these thoughts? Who am I" and so forth, until he is well-established in the conviction that a Higher Power guides us. That is, says Sri Bhagwan, firmness of faith.  Then all his doubts are cleared and he needs no further instructions, as Sri Bhagwan has assured.  It is Jnana, It is Bhakti. Where really is the difference?  Both are the same.

Dear devotees, as I have understood it , it is wrong to categorise Sri Bhagwan's Path of Atma-vichara as purely pertaining to Jnana path alone, as will be obvious from Sri Bhagwan's holy Utterances, as quoted above. I have always understood and maintained that Sri Bhagwan's Atma-vichara is a grand fusion of Jnana and Bhakti.  Self is God. He is within (I am aware that He is both within and without, and therefore, everywhere, but the Seat of Realisation is the Heart, and therefore first one has to see Him within) . Therefore, in my view, loving the Self, seeking Him within, reaching Him, and abiding in the Self, as the Self, is the greatest Bhakti.  Nay, Sri Bhagwan says that it alone is Jnana, Bhakti, yoga, etc.

Therefore, dear devotees, this is the reason why Sri Bhagwan is hammering and driving the point home, again and again:

"THE  ENQUIRY  INTO  THE  SELF  IS  INCLUSIVE  OF  ALL,  FAITH,  DEVOTION,  JNANA,  YOGA  AND  ALL."

"THE  QUEST  FOR  THE  SELF  IS  THE  ESSENTIAL  FACTOR  AND  THE  REST  ARE  MERE  ACCESSORIES. "

"THE  ESSENTIAL  POINT  IS  THE  ATMA-VICHARA--ENQUIRY  INTO  THE  SELF."

However, dear devotees, it is never, never meant to convey that other forms of nirguna or saguna upasanas or spiritual practices will not take to the same Goal. They will also ultimately take us to the same state as Enquiry. For instance, I understand fully well how japa ultimately merges in Vichara. So, what I am emphasising is other spiritual practices are indirect methods where as Sri Bhagwan's Atma-vichara is the Direct One, as Sri Bhagwan has taught. In my view, it transcends both our traditional concept of saguna or nirguna upasana or dual  or non-dual spiritual practices. It is an epoch-making new Revelation.  Sri Bhagwan is not only the Lord of Sahaja Samadhi, but also the Lord of Atma-vichara. When we dispute about the efficacy of Sri Bhagwan's Atma-vichara, that means, in my view, that neither Sri Bhagwan's advent nor His Method have beenproperly understood here. 

As far as cleansing is concerned, it is wrong to think that other practices cleanse and Self-enquiry does not, as Sri Jewell obseved. Self-enquiry reveals the Atma-swarupa, but before that it roots out our age-long baggage, lock, stock and barrel.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 01:31:42 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: September 08, 2014, 03:58:03 PM »
I asked him to explain what the writer of Maha Yoga quotes as his considered opinion that no authentic sage ever contradicted another, all illuminates being essentially one.

He answered me this time at some length, contending that the paths may seem diverse, but when the pilgrims reach the goal, the perspective changes and one sees clearly, that only those who have lagged behind quarrel about the relative merits of different roads, and that only the goal matters. ?So it is utter folly,? he added, ?to go on wrangling among ourselves, because we were one in the beginning and shall be one again in the end. Also, this oneness is so thrillingly real that one may say, if X wants anything from Y then Y can hardly decline because in giving to X, Y only gives to himself in the last analysis?.

?But Maharshi,? I asked after a hesitant pause, ?why is it that the bhakta so often turns away from the jnani, even after they have both attained the goal?? He smiled, ?But your premise is wrong, to start with?, he said. ?For, as soon as the bhakta arrives he finds he is at one with the jnani. For then the bhakta becomes bhakti swarupa (the essence of bhakti) even as the jnani becomes jnana swarupa (the essence of jnana) and the two are one, identical, although pseudo-bhaktas and pseudojnanis may dub the idea ?crazy? and start pitching into one another?. Then he added after a pause, ?But such strifes break out only among the followers of the illuminates. The Masters always stay above the battle. I was reminded of Sri Ramakrishna?s joke about Rama and Shiva: ?Even when they fight?, he said, ?the duel ends in perfect harmony, peace and love. But Rama?s soldiers, the monkeys, and Shiva?s henchmen, the ghouls, go ever on clashing and snarling and calling names?.

Dilip Kumar Roy, Ramana Smriti

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: September 08, 2014, 04:23:29 PM »
?Bhagavan, my mind does not obey me. It wanders as it likes and lands me into trouble. Be merciful to me and tell me clearly how to bring it under control?. Even before I completed the question Bhagavan turned to me and looked at me affectionately. He spoke to me most kindly and his words sparkled with meaning:

All religious and spiritual practices have no other purpose than getting the mind under control. The three paths of knowledge, devotion and duty aim at this and this alone. By immersing yourself in your work you forget your mind as separate from your work and the problem of controlling the mind ceases. In devotion your mind is merged in the God you love and ceases to exist as separate from Him. He guides your mind step by step and no control is needed. In knowledge you find that there is no such thing as mind, no control, controller, or controlled. The path of devotion is the easiest of all. Meditate on God or on some mental or material image of Him. This will slow down your mind and it will get controlled of its own accord.

Somehow I felt satisfied and there was deep peace in me when I looked at him for the last time.

PLN Sharma, Ramana Smriti
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: September 08, 2014, 04:58:46 PM »
Once I asked Bhagavan what I should do to be on the spiritual path. He said, ?Do what you want to do but keep doing it; don?t remain doing nothing. Repeat the name, or think deeply or seek the source of your ?I? consciousness, do Atma Vichara but keep working on yourself. This is very important?.

Gouriammaal
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: September 08, 2014, 05:10:48 PM »
Dear Sri Anil ji and friends,

There is no doubt, self enquiry is by in itself the means and the end, but so are other paths as well! There is nothing unique about it! All paths are unique by itself and are means and the end as well. What matters is not the mechanism but the aspirant! No matter how great means may be, it all rests on the sincerity and the thirst of an aspirant.

The sword is not great by in itself, but it is the skill of the user of a sword, that makes that weapon great or ordinary.

--

Strange are the ways in which sages and saints keep the stream of spirituality constantly flowing. Some lead a life of incessant activity, while others withdraw into the quietness and the silence of some hallowed place. There, like a dynamo, they generate the power that transforms people from lead to gold. To the superficial eye, pomp and pageantry might appeal, but behind them all there is a vast storehouse ? akshayapatra ? of inexhaustible power, luminous and strong, serene and silent.

S Ramakrishna

« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 05:24:12 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: September 08, 2014, 06:38:04 PM »
Aids to Enquiry

The best way of quelling the movements of the mind that, as the perceiver, the objects perceived and the act of perception, runs far and wide, is that of employing the mind to see itself through itself.
V. 758, GVK

Since Reality shines radiantly within you as the Self, only that Self deserves to be known by you. Enquiry into your real nature as it actually is in the Heart, the infallible guide is the true light of the Self (I  AM) that cannot be rejected.

Sri Bhagwan: To realise that you yourself are the Self, why do you require any light other than being-consciousness, the light of the Self? 

Yes, dear devotees, we are verily the Self. And the light of the Self, being-consciousness, is ever available and never non-available.  Therefore, it is indeed a wonder and is inexplicable why we should require any light other than the light of the Self to realise that we are the Self, that is, to realise "We are". What a great irony!

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 06:56:01 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: September 09, 2014, 11:33:03 AM »
Sri Ramanashrayee: What is the relationship between 'Vichara', Self-enquiry and repetition of sacred syllables (mantra japa)?
Sri Bhagwan: 'Vichara' itself is the mantra, japa, tapas, sacrifice and yoga.
Sri R: Does it mean that for those practicing Vichara it is unnecessary to repeat mantras?
Sri Bhagwan: 'Vichara' is the source, the essence of all mantras. All that is meant is that one should not be attached to doing the mantra as such. It does not preclude it.
Sri R: Sometimes involuntarily Vichara and japa overlap into each other. What is one to do then?
Sri Bhagwan: As the result of the previous practice even without effort this happens. But can either Vichara or japa take place without the 'I'? In both one has to fix one's attention to the source be it of the 'I' or of the mantra.
Source: Know Yourself, Conversations With Sri Ramana Maharshi, Sri A. R. Natarajan

Dear Devotees,

Sri Ganapati Muni, despite all his brilliance, vast learning and all his mantras and tapas, had not attained success as yet either with God or the world.  He sought refuge at Sri Bhagwan's Feet, "Pray enlighten me as to the nature of tapas". Sri Bhagwan then compassionately revealed the nature of true Tapas, "If one watches whence the notion of 'I' arises , the mind is absorbed into That; that is Tapas. When a mantra is repeated, if one watches the Source from which the mantra sound is produced the mind is absorbed into that; that is tapas." This is how first Self-enquiry was revealed, enjoined and delivered to the world. In both Vichara as well as the mantra  japa, one has to fix one's attention to the Source, be it of the I' or of the mantra. In that case where is the difference between Vichara and the mantra Japa? However, it is well known that Sri Bhagwan emphasised to fix one's attention on the Source of the 'I' rather than the Source of the mantra sound. Did He not?

Sri Bhagwan Statement that 'Vichara itself is the mantra, japa, tapas, sacrifice and yoga' should be understood, in my view, in the light of the above. Vichara is the Source, the Essence of all mantras. This is why Sri Bhagwan taught that all that is meant is that one should not be attached to doing the mantra as such, and  rather one should fix one's attention on the Source of the sound of the mantra.   AND  THERE  IS  NO  MISTAKING,   THAT  IS  VICHARA  IN  GUISE  OF  MANTRA  JAPA.  IS  IT  NOT?
 Thus, dear devotees, we see that while Bhagavan did explain the intricacies of other paths, including the path of ashtanga yoga, he never swerved from affirming the path of wisdom as the direct one.

Therefore, Sri Bhagwan's Message to the troubled mankind is inescapable "FIRST, KNOW  THYSELF". The Message is too obvious to make an argument out of it. If cessation of mental activities is the aim of all yogas, the essence of all religions, purpose or goal of all spiritual practices is only this "Know Thyself". Is it not?

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 11:39:08 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: September 09, 2014, 12:01:44 PM »
Sri Bhagwan: 'Vichara' itself is the mantra, japa, tapas, sacrifice and yoga.

'Mantra' itself is the vichara, japa, tapas, sacrifice, and yoga.

'Japa' itself is the tapas, sacrifice, yoga, mantra and vichara.

'Tapas' itself is the sacrifice, yoga, vichara, japa and mantra.

'Sacrifice' itself is the yoga, vichara, mantra, tapas and japa.

'Yoga' itself is the japa, tapas, mantra, vichara and sacrifice.

'Vichara' itself is the mantra, japa, tapas, sacrifice and yoga.

--
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 12:03:24 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: September 09, 2014, 12:39:45 PM »
Friends,

'Mantra' itself is the vichara, japa, tapas, sacrifice, and yoga.

'Vichara' itself is the mantra, japa, tapas, sacrifice and yoga

This much is clear that there needs to be a 'I' to do all this-and it is also clear that this 'I' does not exist in the sleep state and no sadhana is possible in the sleep state.One is helpless there and only that Divine shakti that fosters one right through all the the states of Deep sleep,Dream and Waking State-that alone can grant Liberation or otherwise.Ultimately,irrespective of what one does or does not do,it is  Grace that has to prevail.'Doership' has to fall off in the blaze of this Grace.The absence of 'Doership' is Jnana and it is Bhakti as well.

If someone favours one particular approach-Godspeed to him.If he considers it to be the only way,Godspeed to him.It is all very good and supremely desirable as long as  the objective he has set for himself is for his ultimate good.

Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: September 09, 2014, 12:56:57 PM »
I have one request.....................
Please share with us with your independent ideas about what Shri Arunachala means to all of us  in the path of enquiry .

I don't know Sri Anand, and this is not out of pride or or something, but all i can say is this, from Taittiriya Upanishad, this is the best that i can say something, i felt from deep within -

"yato vAcho nivartante | aprApya manasA saha |
AnandaM brAhmaNo vidvAn | na bibheti kutashchaneti |

The mind and speech return back from it "Arunachala" baffled as they are not able to grasp and describe it;
the wise who knows the Brahman which is bliss, is not afraid of anything at any time.

I don't know! as Socrates said "I know that I know nothing" and all my expressions here in the forum and elsewhere, all of them i know to be of emptiness only, they are nothing, nothing and yet again nothing at all! It is the end of the one upon whom the glance of that seemingly inert bunch of stone, lifeless, cool-less falls!

In this regard, i am urged to share this conversation from the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna -

Sri Ramakrishna also said the same thing to Girish Chanda Ghosh.  Girish was looking crestfallen one day and told Thakur:
Is there a way for this sinner?  Thakur said: Do Japa for half an hour three times a day.  Girish refused saying that it may
not be possible.  Then Thakur asked him to do japa for half an hour once in a day. Girish was straightforward. He said: Thakur, I cannot even do that. (one could include even saying, i cannot even do enquiry, and this just just not an emotional barb!)

Thakur said : Then give me power of attorney.  I shall do it for you.  But once you give power of attorney, all that you do or say is only with my permission.  Girish was a drunkard and also with other habits.  This power of attorney changed him.
He became a highly spiritual man later.

Thereafter, your ego is His ego, your hurts are His hurts, your joys are His joys, your troubles are His troubles, your ajnaana is His ajnaana, your jnaana is His jnana, your bhakti is His Bhakti, your abhakti is His abhakti. your enlightenment is His enlightenment, your non-enlightenment is His non-enlightenment. your pride is His pride, your humility is His humility.

--
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 01:05:29 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: September 09, 2014, 02:38:21 PM »
Quote from Sri Nagaraj Ji:
Mantra' itself is the vichara, japa, tapas, sacrifice, and yoga.

Dear devotees,

I am sorry, but I do not have anything to do with what has been posted as above. I do not know all this, and I cannot understand why these are being posted in this thread unasked for. Please tell me, do you want me to close this thread?  I again reiterate that I have only deep faith in the Words of Grace. This is why I felt a need to repost what I wrote in my previous post.   

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil