Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758664 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #3780 on: September 07, 2014, 08:20:46 AM »
Quote from Sri Ravi:
"They were all apparently doing the same thing but the only difference is that the vision of the first two men was 'Limited'."

Quote from Sri Nafaraj Ji:
"I appreciate your devotion but am afraid, you are totally biased and closed minded. The spirit of your reasoning is not all inclusive, am afraid!"

Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji and Sri Ravi,

I knew it had to come, sooner or later. The way I had been extolling the greatness of Self-enquiry, I wonder why it came so late, for it came almost when I do not have zeal and inspiration to continue writing anymore.

I had been practicing Enquiry in some form or other even before coming to the Lotus Feet of Bhagwan Sri Ramana. For instance, I knew intuitively that the entity or non-entity which I call 'I' was the only clue I was familiar with and through which I could solve the mystery of my existence. However, when Initiation happened and I became suddenly aware of His Presence, I knew with cent percent certainty that I had been initiated into Self-enquiry too, as taught by Him, by His Grace Itself. There is not even an iota of doubt about that in my mind, nor I am even least affected when someone brands it all as some illusory state of my own imagination, or when some one says that my vision is limited or I am biased or prejudiced, or a closed mind, etc.

Dear Sri Nagaraj and Sri Ravi, please tell me, why should I feel tease? What if you do not practice Self-enquiry or what if Self-enquiry is not your main sadhana, at least you know Sri Bhagwan who is my Guru, and read about His Teaching of the Self-enquiry. Here in Patna, Bihar, no one seems to know much about Sri Bhagwan, a few have heard His Name, and I know no one who has even inkling as to what Self-enquiry is all about. So I do my sadhana silently here, keep it to myself, and I dare not open my mouth even among spiritual people here.   

So, my mother, thinking that I am still uninitiated, wants to take me to her own 'guru' and 'mata Ji' and get initiated, as soon as possible, without further losing time. Sri Gyanchand Ji, an office colleague, wants me to worship Sri Krishna and only Sri Krishna, and read Gita and only Gita. He daily keeps me reminding that I am wasting my time by owing allegiance to a Maharshi, for Lord Sri Krishna alone is the Saviour. Has He not declared 'mamekam sharnam Vraja, etc.' in the Gita? A superior wants me to accept Lord Budha as my Guru for He was enlightened under the Bodhi Tree in Gaya which is located in close proximity to Patna. My family wants me to give up pursuing illusory goals, and instead, take care of my ancestral landed property with more seriousness and even increase it if possible. 

Such is the environment in which I live. Therefore, when I was suddenly seized with divine fervour, I remained enthralled initially and wanted to express myself, but there was no one with whom I could share my excitement after the experience, and discuss a thing or two freely. It was much later in 2010 when I came to know, by His Grace, about the existence of this forum. However, as soon as I joined it, I felt that a great inspiration is compelling me from within to extol the greatness of Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan. It was, however, sometime later that I realised that this thread was an important part of my sadhana and helped me clear almost all my doubts.  In retrospect, I feel that It was His Grace all along that thus guided me through this thread "Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough", and helped me establish at His Lotus Feet and in His great Method.

Therefore, dear Sri Nagaraj Ji, you cannot tease me anymore. I have ceased to be teased. The world is rapidly losing power to either cause me sorrow or a tease. As I said before, I love you and others in the forum. I love you all because you know and love Sri Bhagwan and are aware of His great Teaching. That is enough cause for me to love you all and be happy.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil 

« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 08:29:16 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3781 on: September 07, 2014, 08:39:44 AM »
Anil bhai,
I will draw your attention to what I have said:

I have written at length for general benefit.I know that Anil Bhai is supremely Blessed and has the above qualities embedded in his practice-and hence he can truthfully and rightfully say-'Self-enquiry alone is sufficient'

I have not said anything by way of Eulogy-I know it as a fact.Grace is ever there,but one who makes the most of it is Blessed.

All my posts here are for general consumption and not aimed at anyone in particular.

Namaskar

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: September 07, 2014, 10:09:27 AM »
Dear Sri Anil ji, my friend, I also just practice only Self Enquiry from within, no matter what actions the body gets involved, be it the mouth prays, sings, limbs engage in some rituals or works. For me, everything is a self enquiry. But my expressions and actions seem contrary! There are no limitations. I too have close people who say surprised, haven't you been initiated yet in anything? how can there be progress without any initiations or dheeksha, i do have to face multi faceted people from various backgrounds who speak from their playground. But, over a period of time, i am able to see the same Bhagavan, the same Self Enquiry in all of them! If we just look round about the siuncere expressions of all devotees of various paths, they are all talking about the same thing, and even the very same method in different manner.

Sat is same, the Essence is same, some call it Enquiry, some call it devotion, some call it boudha, some call it Gita, what ever they call.

i have ceased to identify myself as a person who does Self Enquiry, what do i do? how can i say, what do i do? I have no name for the path i follow! With buddhist I am buddhist. With jain I am jain with chrustian I am christian. With ramana I am ramana with baba I am baba followe with shankara I am shankara follower

"A disciple of a reputed Swami of South India, Vilakshananda, came to Bhagavan to have his darshan. With some hesitation he started telling Bhagavan about his guru's strict injunction that each one of his devotees should do so many thousands of japa daily and surrender the phala to the guru as their offering and that they were following it without fail.

Bhagavan smiled and observed: "Is it so? It is to be appreciated. So much gain for the guru with no strain on his part!" While Bhagavan was saying this, Muruganar entered the Old Hall. Turning to him Bhagavan said: "Do you know? His guru commands each one of his disciples to perform so many thousands of nama-japa and surrender the phala(merit) to him, as guru kanikkai (offering). After that will there be any balance for the disciples? It looks like one keeping the principal and surrendering the interest to the guru as offering. How do you appreciate this?"

Muruganar with tears in his eyes replied: "Bhagavan! Their guru is far better. He at least leaves the principal and demands only the interest. But this guru here (pointing to Bhagavan) is worse. He takes away the principal itself; then where is room for interest? He demands the devotees' mulam(principal) and vaddi(interest) all at once!" Bhagavan gave a benign smile enjoying the poet's joke with deep meaning!

What Muruganar meant was that Bhagavan wipes out the mind and the ego of his devotees."

What more self enquiry, what more Bhagavan? where is the 'I'? where is the so called Self Enquiry? what are other paths and what is this paths?

what is this, what is that? what is all?

as Chadwick reflected, there is nothing, just be!

Have good day, friend!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 10:40:51 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: September 07, 2014, 10:47:03 AM »
Nagaraj/Anil/Friends,
Nagaraj's post recalls thayumanavar's wonderful verse:
           எங்கு நிறைகின்ற பொருள்
அவனன்றி யோரணுவும் அசையாதெ னும்பெரிய
      ஆப்தர்மொழி யொன்றுகண்டால்
   அறிவாவ தேதுசில அறியாமை ஏதிவை
      அறிந்தார்கள் அறியார்களார்
மௌனமொ டிருந்ததார் என்போ லுடம்பெலாம்
      வாயாய்ப் பிதற்றுமவரார்
   மனதெனவும் ஒருமாயை எங்கே இருந்துவரும்
      வன்மையொ டிரக்கமெங்கே
புவனம் படைப்பதென் கர்த்தவிய மெவ்விடம்                                                           
      பூதபே தங்களெவிடம்
   பொய்மெயிதம் அகிதமேல் வருநன்மை தீமையொடு
      பொறைபொறா மையுமெவ்விடம்
எவர்சிறிய ரெவர்பெரிய ரெவருறவ ரெவர்பகைஞர்
      யாதுமுனை யன்றியுண்டோ
   இகபர மிரண்டினிலும் உயிரினுக் குயிராகி
      எங்குநிறை கின்றபொருளே.1.

All Pervasive Being
"Not an atom moveth without Him" -
If this great saying of the wise is realized,
Where then is knowledge?
Where then is ignorance?
Who are they that knew this?
Who are they that knew this not?
Who are they that in silentness sat?
Who are they that are loquacious like me,
My entire body turned into mouth?
Where doth the illusion, that is mind, come from?
Where is cruelty from?
Where is compassion from?
Why the creation of this universe?
Why the lordly functions arising therefrom?
Why these diverse elements?
Why truth and falsehood?
Why pleasantness and unpleasantness?
Why good and evil?
Why beneficient things to be?
Why the disasters to follow?
Why the patience and impatience?
Who are small?
Who are great?
Who are friends?
Who are enemies?
All, all none but Thee!
Oh! Thou the Pervasive Being
That is Life of life
Of this world and next!

We may add to the set of questions that thayumanavar asks:
Who is Bhagavan?Who is not Bhagavan?
who are his devotees?Who are not his devotees?
What is 'self-enquiry'?What is not 'self-enquiry"?
What is Jnana?What is not Jnana?
What is Bhakti?What is not Bhakti?
What is Being?What is becoming?

Namaskar

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: September 07, 2014, 11:56:27 AM »
Sri Bhagwan: Practice is power. If thoughts are reduced to a single thought the mind is said to have grown strong. When practice remains unshaken it becomes natural.
D: What is such practice?
Sri Bhagwan: Enquiring into the Self. That is all. Atmanyeva vasam nayet....(Fix the mind on the Self.)
D: What is the aim to be kept in view? Practice requires an aim.
Sri Bhagwan: ATMAN  IS  THE  AIM.  What else can there be? All other aims are for those who are incapable of atmalakshya (having the Self for the aim). They lead you ultimately to Atma-vichara (enquiry into the Self). One- pointedness  is the fruit of all kinds of practice. One may get it quickly; another after a long time. Everything depends on the practice.
D: Peace is extolled more than anything else. How shall we gain it?
Sri Bhagwan: It is your real nature. Forgetfulness never overtakes the Self. The Self is now confounded with non-Self and that makes you speak of forgetfulness of the Self, Peace, etc. Oblivion will never rear up its head if this confusion is put an end to.
D: How is that done?
Sri Bhagwan: Enquiry into Self.
From Talk-290

Dear devotees,  they (other practices) lead ultimately to Atma-vichara, that is, Enquiry into the Self. Meaning and implication is obvious. Is it not?  So, why not from the very beginning if one can? However, if one cannot, or is incapable, then it is different matter, for he will have to follow some other methods, to bring about mental activities under control to some extent at least, to be able to follow Atma-vichara.  But ultimately they will lead one to Atma-vichara.  Nevertheless,  in case of incapability, I wish to submit that one should pursue Atma-vichara concurrently with whatever practice one adopts for the purpose.  A time will come sooner than later when only Vichara will remain. This is how I have understood the above Statement, practiced and expereinced it.  I feel that there is no scope for doubt, deduction and argument here.
 Pranam,
   Anil

« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 11:59:29 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3785 on: September 07, 2014, 12:41:06 PM »
Where are 'Other Devotees'?
Where is  'Other practices'?
Where is a beginning, where is a middle, where is an end?
Where is capability, where is incapability?
Who is there? What is there?

Everything is just a play of ones own mind!

There is truly nothing out there, nobody out there but just the projections of ones own mind, ones own ideas and conclusions.
There are no meaning to methods and practices, other than the meaning we ourselves attribute to them!

There is nothing wrong out there at all! There are no imperfections. There is just what IS! nothing else!

Because of God, Devotee appears, because of Guru, disciple appears, because of knowledge, ignorance appears!

"My" implies the "I", which owns the senses.  You take your existence for granted, at the same time, ask others to prove it to you.  Similarly you admit the certainty of your senses, which see others, whilst denying all certainty.  You see how you contradict yourself!  The fact is that there are no others.  There is no such a person as "You".  Each man, although addressed as "You", styles himself as "I".  Even the confirmation you demand from others comes only from the "I".  "You" and "they" occur to the "I", without which they are meaningless. - Bhagavan

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: September 07, 2014, 02:10:06 PM »
Sarva-bhuta-stham atmanam sarva-bhutani c'atmani
Iksate yoga-yukt'atma sarvatra sama-darshnah //

The man of spiritual insight, established in same--sightedness, sees the Self as residing in all beings and all beings as resting in the Self.
V. 6-29, Gita

Yo mam pasyati sarvatra sarvam ca mayi pasyati
Tasy'aham na pranasyami sa ca na pranasyati //

He who sees Me in all beings, and all beings in Me--to him I am never lost, nor he to Me.
V. 6-30, Gita

Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji,

I feel that whoever progresses on the Path of Self-enquiry, and has glimpsed Self, will immediately grasp the essence of the above Holy Utterances of Lord Sri Ramana or Lord Sri Krishna, and will act, behave and do his sadhana accordingly. Nay, it will get automatically incorporated into his sadhana. But first, he must see the Self within and then only he will be able to see the Self without, that is, Self in all beings and all beings in the Self. Not before. If one sees the Self first within, then only such a one will understand and grasp the essence of the Statement "All is dear due to Self".  Not before.   If the Aim is to see the Self, I do feel that  indeed there can be nothing better than enquiry into the Self. Why go then elsewhere? This fits in, in my view, quite well.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil 

« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 02:34:02 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3787 on: September 07, 2014, 02:29:39 PM »
Quote:
Sarva-bhuta-stham atmanam sarva-bhutani c'atmani
Iksate yoga-yukt'atma sarvatra sama-darshnah //

The man of spiritual insight, established in same--sightedness, sees the Self as residing in all beings and all beings as resting in the Self.
V. 6-29, Gita

Dear Devotees,

What I wrote in my previous post was not my own. Lord Himself has taught through the above quoted Verse of the Gita that only the man of spiritual insight who is established in same-sightedness, and not one who merely understands it intellectually, can see the Self as residing in all beings and all beings as resting in the Self. Therefore, mere pretension will not do.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil 

« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 02:47:16 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3788 on: September 07, 2014, 04:35:19 PM »
Friends,
It is interesting to examine the sense of 'I' and 'mine'.we go to a grocer's shop and buy food items.we bring it home,cook it and it is served on plates.we eat it,and the digestion and assimilation gets done for us.The nutrients go towards replacing the cells in our body,so much so that over a span of 7 years or so,all the cells have been replaced ,or so it is said.The waste matter is excreted out.There is this constant intake and outflow on a daily basis-the matter outside becomes 'body' and the matter that is 'body' is thrown outside to form the food cycle again.
We breathe in outside air,it enters our lungs,and again exhaled out.just when did it become breath?
We are taught that we have a name and to identify ourselves with that,taught words and understand concepts from outside-we pick these thoughts and revolve it in our minds.Just when do these thoughts become 'I' 'mine'.
There is a world of undivided matter,a world of undivided energy,a world of undivided thoughts-Just when and how did 'I' and 'mine' get in?

Namaskar

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: September 07, 2014, 05:15:39 PM »
Gradations of Sadhana:

If, rather than wasting his days, the jiva takes up the practice of Vichara with firm resolve, his life will come to possess great excellence. The idea 'I am this wretched body' will cease and the sea of surpassing supreme bliss will surge abundantly within him.
V-755, GVK, Sri David Godman

Other than SUPERIOR atma-vichara (Self-enquiry), there exists no other spiritual practices whatsoever that are capable of quelling the mind. If the mind is subjugated by other methods, it will appear to have subsided, but it will revive and rise again.
V-756,GVK, Sri David Godman

The mind will also be stilled through restraint of the breath, but only as long as the breath is restrained. When the breath comes out, mind too will run out and roam around, coming under the sway of previously accumulated vasanas.
V-757, GVK, Sri David Godman

Dear devotees, having posted the above Verses from the GVK, I wish to add that one should never criticise sadhana of others.  Say, if someone worships idol, how can one criticise this practice, for until one gets rid of the idea that one is the body and attains Jnana, one's relationship with God more or less remains idolatrous. Therefore, it is indeed foolish to criticise others' sadhana. However, we should realise that since we ourselves are the Self, why should we require any light other than being-consciousness, the light of the Self, and which we cannot deny? I feel that we should know  thus and graduate to Atma-vichara.

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 05:18:17 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3790 on: September 07, 2014, 06:19:03 PM »
As you recall your father by his photograph, so likewise the worship of the image reveals in a flash the nature of Reality.

The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3791 on: September 07, 2014, 06:31:33 PM »
Brother Lawrence was born Nicolas Herman in the region of Lorraine, located in modern day eastern France. As a young man, Herman's poverty forced him into joining the army, which guaranteed him meals and a small stipend. During this period, Herman claimed an experience that set him on a unique spiritual journey. During this period, Herman claimed an experience that set him on a unique spiritual journey. He considered it a supernatural clarity into a common sight, more so than as a supernatural vision.
During the winter, Herman looked at a barren tree, stripped of leaves and fruit, and realized it awaited the sure hope of a springtime revival and summer abundance. Gazing at the tree, Herman grasped deeply the extravagance of God's grace and the unfailing sovereignty of divine providence. Like the tree, he felt seemingly dead, but held hope that God had life waiting for him, and the turn of seasons would bring fullness. At that moment, he said, that leafless tree "first flashed in upon my soul the fact of God," and a love for God that never ceased. Shortly after, an injury forced his retirement from the army, and after a stint as a footman, he sought a place where he could suffer for his failures. He thus entered the Discalced Carmelite monastery in Paris as Brother Lawrence. it a supernatural clarity into a common sight, more so than as a supernatural vision.
During the winter, Herman looked at a barren tree, stripped of leaves and fruit, and realized it awaited the sure hope of a springtime revival and summer abundance. Gazing at the tree, Herman grasped deeply the extravagance of God's grace and the unfailing sovereignty of divine providence. Like the tree, he felt seemingly dead, but held hope that God had life waiting for him, and the turn of seasons would bring fullness. At that moment, he said, that leafless tree "first flashed in upon my soul the fact of God," and a love for God that never ceased. Shortly after, an injury forced his retirement from the army, and after a stint as a footman, he sought a place where he could suffer for his failures. He thus entered the Discalced Carmelite monastery in Paris as Brother Lawrence.

Atman is realized by atman.No human effort gets one there.
Namaskar
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 06:35:59 PM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3792 on: September 07, 2014, 06:50:04 PM »
Friends,
When asked about the efficacy of bhakti, Sri Bhagavan said: So long as there is vibhakti, there must be bhakti. So long as there is viyoga, there must be yoga.
So long as there is duality, there must be God and devotee. Similarly also in vichara. So long as there is vichara, there is duality too. But merging into the Source there is unity only. So it is with bhakti too. Realising the God of devotion, there will be unity only. God too is thought of in and by the Self. So God is identical with the Self. If one is told to have bhakti for God and he does so straightaway, it is all right. But there is another kind of man who turns round and says: 'There are two, I and God. Before knowing the far-off God, let me know the more immediate and intimate 'I'.'   For him the vichara-marga has to be taught. There is in fact no difference between bhakti and vichara.

Talk 154,Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 06:53:26 PM by Ravi.N »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3793 on: September 07, 2014, 06:53:04 PM »
                                          Lotus

On the day when the lotus bloomed, alas, my mind was straying,
and I knew it not. My basket was empty and the flower remained unheeded.

Only now and again a sadness fell upon me, and I started up from my
dream and felt a sweet trace of a strange fragrance in the south wind.

That vague sweetness made my heart ache with longing and it seemed to
me that is was the eager breath of the summer seeking for its completion.

I knew not then that it was so near, that it was mine, and that this
perfect sweetness had blossomed in the depth of my own heart.

Sri Rabindranath Tagore

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: September 07, 2014, 07:36:23 PM »
A huge lion went hunting one day, and took with him a wolf and a fox.

They were all excellent hunters and by the end of the day the team had caught an ox, an ibex, and a hare.

The wolf was already hungrily eying their prey, so the lion magnanimously told him, 'Wolf, divide up this abundance between us in any way you like.'

The wolf, though hungry enough to eat the ox himself, decided it was safest to give the largest prize to the lion. He claimed the ibex for himself, and handed the small hare to the fox. The wolf was already licking his chops and about to begin his meal, when the lion roared:

'Wolf! How dare you talk of 'mine' and 'yours' With a single swipe from his mighty paw, the lion slew the wolf.

The lion calmed himself, and then turned to the fox. With a toothy smile, he said, ?Fox, divide up this abundance between us in any way you like.?

The fox, being no fool, immediately said that the entire bounty belonged to the lion.

The lion rumbled in satisfaction, and said, 'Fox, you are no longer a fox; your are myself. The entire bounty is yours!'

--
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 07:40:16 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta