Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 757270 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #3750 on: September 02, 2014, 09:12:57 AM »
Dear devotees,

By His Grace, through Enquiry, If we remain at the Core of our existence, that is, if we remain in the Heart, if we remain as the Self, that is, if we remain as we are, no vasanas and no karma can touch or affect us. However, if we remain in the mind, thoughts of one sort or another will bother us all the time.

Therefore, when we forget the state of being ourselves, as we are, then only is the time to enquire, 'Who forgets the Self? Who is in doubt? Who is having the confusion?' Enquiring in this way, discarding all that is not real 'us', we must come back to ourselves, and remain as we are.  Sri Bhagwan has taught that this alone is Bhakti, Yoga and Jnana. That is catching hold of oneself as it were, and taking recourse to 'Swarupa-Smarnai', that is, inner remembrance or Self-attention, which finally culminates in Self-realisation.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

Note: Dear Sri Ravi Bhai Saheb, I just saw your posts. I wish to respond to certain, important points you have raised in them, sometime in the evening today or tomorrow. However, I wish to say here that your and others' (such as, Sri Subramanian Sir, Sri Nagaraj, Sri silentgreen, my dear friend, Sri Jewell and even my friend, Sri Udai and others) love and insights have helped me a lot in my sadhana. Thanks very much, sir. Pranam. Anil
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 09:16:18 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: September 02, 2014, 12:38:41 PM »
First Meetings With Bhagwan Sri Ramana

Sri F. H. Humphreys, the first European Visitor has described it thus:

"On reaching the cave(Virupaksha Cave) we sat before Him at His Feet and said nothing. We sat thus for a long time and I felt lifted out of myself. For half an hour I looked into the Maharshi's eyes, which never changed their expression of deep contemplation. I began to realize  somewhat that the body is the Temple of the Holy Ghost; I could feel only that His body was not the man; it was the instrument of God, merely a sitting , motionless corpse from which God was radiating terrifically. My own feelings were indescribable."

Sri Paul Brunton, who  is said to have arrived more a sceptic than a believer, has given following account of his first meeting with Sri Bhagwan and the first impact Sri Bhagwan's Silence made upon his mind:     

"It is an ancient theory of mine that one can take the inventory of a man?s soul from his eyes. But before those of the Maharshi I hesitate, puzzled and baffled........"

"I cannot turn my gaze away from Him. My initial bewilderment, my perplexity at being totally ignored, slowly fade away as this strange fascination begins to grip me more firmly. But it is not till the second hour of the uncommon scene that I became aware of a silent, resistless change which is taking place within my mind. One by one, the questions which I prepared in the train with such meticulous accuracy drop away. For it does not now seem to matter whether I solve the problems which have hitherto troubled me. I know only that a steady river of quietness seems to be flowing near me, that a great peace is penetrating the inner reaches of my being, and that my thought-tortured brain is beginning to arrive at some rest."
Source: Ramana Maharshi and the Path of Self-knowledge

Dear devotees, when Gaze of Grace is targeted, silent, resistless change takes place, and  even a sceptic is metamorphosed into a believer, in a trice.  If such is the impact of Jnana Guru's Presence on a sceptic's mind, what is to become of a faithful devotee and seeker  who came seeking His Lotus Feet?   

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 12:41:49 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: September 02, 2014, 08:19:32 PM »
         Innermost One

He it is, the innermost one,
who awakens my being with his deep hidden touches.

He it is who puts his enchantment upon these eyes
and joyfully plays on the chords of my heart
in varied cadence of pleasure and pain.

He it is who weaves the web of this maya
in evanescent hues of gold and silver, blue and green,
and lets peep out through the folds his feet,
at whose touch I forget myself.

Days come and ages pass,
and it is ever he who moves my heart in many a name,
in many a guise, in many a rapture of joy and of sorrow.
Sri Rabindranath Tagore

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: September 03, 2014, 07:58:45 AM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

Quote from Sri Ravi;
First and foremost he has to organize his life in such a manner that he eschews all that is inimical to spiritual Living. Whatever serves to only ennervate and dissipate-These activities must be clearly identified and seen as such. This is Viveka.

Ji. Yes, indeed. Whatever the path or the sadhana, be it Enquiry, Bhakti, or Yoga, or Japa or any other, a spiritual aspirant should not engage in activities that are inimical to spiritual living and thus dissipate the vital energy which should be consciously preserved for sadhana.

Quote:

"Having clearly identified such activities, there must be a strong determination to eschew them totally-This is Vairagya."

Ji. Yes. Indeed.

Quote:
"To help strengthen points 1 & 2,an aspirant needs to engage in Satsangha or Sadhu Sangha. Reading Books like Bhagavatham or The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna or Letters from Sri Ramanasramam -and other scriptural works like the Upanishads ,etc are something which is within the reach of any aspirant.

He then should reinforce the above through steadfast devotion or Bhakti by way of Chanting Inspirational verses(Stotras) ,singing Bhajans,Kirtans,etc,Contemplating on the Lives of Great ones-Like listening to Sri Bhagavan narrating the Life of Kannappa Nayanar and other Saints."

Bhai Saheb, first I am also a bhakta in love with Divine. I have always, consciously or unconsciously, taken up some or other of the practices mentioned above, sometime or other, in my life, from childhood. But, in retrospect, I feel that Enquiry had also commenced long ago (from when I cannot say) and been going on concurrently with some of the practices mentioned above, though it may have been at a subconscious level. I became conscious of Sri Bhagwan's Grace in 2005 and Enquiry arose within me of its own accord. Then only I came to Tiruvannamalai and started reading Sri Bhagwan's books.

Quote:
"All other activities of life like going for a job, earning money, attending to Kith and kin can very well go on -with the spiritual Living as the center and dominant AdhAra Sruti or Fundamental note."

This is beautiful. I understand and observe it as 'holding the Real and playing in the unreal', according to the rule of the play in the unreal. 

Quote:
"The aspirant has to diligently and patiently prepare himself in all these ways, before he starts realizing the benefit of spiritual Practice. Ignoring the fundamentals,if one were to simply 'dream' or hope for spiritual reward, it would be futile and wishful thinking only.

Renunciation is the Fort of the aspirant."

Ji. Yes. I wish to say that one can take up any auxiliary practices he likes, 'by way of preparation', but if Self-enquiry interests, one must start practicing it concurrently.

Quote:
"I have written at length for general benefit. I know that Anil Bhai is supremely Blessed and has the above qualities embedded in his practice-and hence he can truthfully and rightfully say-'Self-enquiry alone is sufficient'"

Dear Sri Ravi Bhai Saheb, ji, yes, I am blessed, but so are you and everybody else here. I reached Sri Bhagwan's Lotus Feet, and That, for me , is indeed, supreme blessedness.

Dear Bhai Saheb, I have written my post in a haste. As you may be aware this is the season of flood in Bihar and I am working with the flood control and water resources department, and therefore, free available time now-a-days is few and far between. I wish to say a  few more things in addition to what I have  already said, with referrence to above quotes, as soon as I get some free time.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 06:57:51 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3754 on: September 03, 2014, 06:29:11 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

Before I write further, I wish to know from you about your views on Sri Bhagwan's Words of Grace contained in following passages. How do you see or take these Utterances of the Sadguru? They mean a lot to me: 

"Self-enquiry is the one infallible means, the only dirct one, to realize the unconditional, absolute being that you really are." 

"Self-enquiry alone can reveal the truth that neither the ego nor the mind really exists  and enable one to realize the pure undifferentiated being of the Self or the absolute."

"To attempt to destroy the ego or the mind through spiritual discipline other than Self-enquiry is just like the thief turning into a policeman to catch a thief that is himself. The source of everything is the Self. Merge your mind in the Self through Self-enquiry."

"Self-enquiry is the direct path, all other are indirect paths. The first leads to the Self, the others elsewhere.  WHY  WASTE  TIME?"

"Regulation of life, such as getting up at a fixed hour, bathing, doing mantra japa, etc., observing reitual, all this is for people who do not feel drawn to Self-enquiry or are not capable of it. But for those who can practice this method all rules and discipline are unnecessary." 

"It is, no doubt, said in some books that one should cultivate one quality after another and thus prepare for ultimate Moksha (Deliverance), but for those who follow the Gnana or Vichara Marga their sadhana is quite enough in itself for acquiring all daivic qualities, THEY NEED NOT DO ANYTHING ELSE."

Sri Arthur Osborne has observed:
"Many devotees told Sri Bhagwan that they used such methods prescribed by some guru or asked His authorisation to use them, and He listened graciously and approved. But when any found these other methods fall away He approved of that also. A devotee told Him that he no longer found any support from the other methods he had formerly used and asked His authorisation to drop them and He replied, "YES, ALL OTHER METHODS ONLY LEAD UP TO THE VICHARA.""

A passage from the Human Gospel of Ramana Maharshi:
"One day however, he (Sri Ramaswami Pillai) had misgivings about his progress. He wondered if it was a mistake not to actively participate in any of the other activities of the Ashram, such as chanting, puja, and festivities. So he asked, "Bhagavan am I doing the right thing?" Bhagavan replied, "Do Self-Enquiry. It embraces all other activities.""

"Enquiry is the foremost method."

"God too is thought of in and by the Self. So God is identical with the Self. If one is told to have bhakti for God and he does so straight away, it is all right. But there is another kind of man who turns round and says : There are Two, I and God. Before knowing the far-off God, let me know the more immediate and intimate 'I'."  For him  the vichara-marga has to be taught." 

Moreover, how do you view the following conversation with Sri Annamali Swami? 

Q: Many people find Self-enquiry very difficult. Even most of Bhagwan's devotees seem to follow bhakti path. If one cannot do enquiry successfully, should one first purify the mind with japa?
Sri Annamalai Swami: NO. If you have some interest in the path of self-enquiry you should follow it even if you feel that you are not very good at it. If you want to do self-enquiry effectively and properly you should stick to that method alone. Other methods may be good in their own right but they are not good as preparations for self-enquiry. If you are serious about becoming a good violin player, you take lessons from a good teacher  and practice as much as you can. If you encounter some difficulties you do not switch to the clarinet for a few months, you stay with your chosen instrument and keep practicing till you get it right. The best preparation for the self-enquiry is self-enquiry.

Thanks very much, sir.
Pranam,
  Anil

« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 06:40:01 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: September 04, 2014, 07:37:21 AM »
Anil,

Before I write further, I wish to know from you about your views on Sri Bhagwan's Words of Grace contained in following passages. How do you see or take these Utterances of the Sadguru? They mean a lot to me

Surely the words of a sadguru are just that only and we can only share our understanding and Practice of that.This is the beneficial way.Views or opinions do not count -I think you have also meant only this.

I was trying to figure out a meaningful response and this is what came:
Three men were busy doing something;they all were laying bricks ,one on top of the other and cementing the bricks.An onlooker approached one of them and asked him -'What are you doing?'.The man replied:'I am constructing a Wall'.The Onlooker approached the second man and put the same question:'What are you doing?' .That man replied:'I am building the Hall'.The onlooker next approached the third man and asked:'What are you doing?'.The man said:'I am building this cathedral'.
They were all apparently doing the same thing but the only difference is that the vision of the first two men was 'Limited'.

How is the above relevant to our discussion?Just this-There are some(Many!)aspirants who aspire to do 'self-enquiry' for ten minutes in the morning and ten minutes in the evening.For them,self-enquiry(or any other practice)is a stand alone activity which is unrelated to the rest of their time.During this period,the thoughts have to be 'somehow' dealt with.Somehow the 'I' would disappear one day and voila,one has 'arrived'.
There is the second class of aspirants(Like the one who aspired to build the Hall)who would like to extend the '10 minutes' into what they are doing for the rest of the period as well.This class aspire not to be caught up in the thick of things and if somehow they can maintain a sort of truce with the external demands,they would consider their 'spiritual practice' beneficial.
There is the third class of aspirant who(like the one who aspired to construct the cathedral)deem that all that they think and do are 'spiritual Practice'-If it is flood relief activity,they consider that as an opportunity to be of service.If it is as a computer engineer who maintains some infrastructure services ,they consider that as a service to People(and not just 'consumers'!)-They take this as an opportunity to serve 'God in Man' or 'Oneself in all'.

We may understand the implications of 'self-enquiry' -if it only serves to isolate oneself and insulate oneself,it is another form of vain pursuit only.It is like what Sri Bhagavan said about the man trying to bury his shadow.It is only when it is truly understood in its wholesomeness and all encompassing nature,that it may truly be called 'Direct'.

From our above story of the three men using the 'same building block' but for different purposes (on account of their Vision),we may easily figure out that not all of them are at the same maturity level.There are clear differences in their approach and this would lead to different outcome.

continued.....

I need to wind up now for the present.We will continue this in small instalments.
Namaskar.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: September 04, 2014, 08:56:58 AM »
Quote from Sri Ravi:
"Surely the words of a sadguru are just that only and we can only share our understanding and Practice of that. This is the beneficial way. Views or opinions do not count -I think you have also meant only this."

Dear Sri Ravi,

Ji. Yes. Why do you doubt? I have deep love and regard for you, dear Sri Ravi Bhai Saheb, and therefore, I didn't post Sri Bhagwan's Holy Utterances to initiate an argument. I cannot engage myself in an argument either for or against anything with you, or for that matter, with anybody. I am incapble of doing that.

However, dear bhai saheb, I have some misgivings about your exposition of the implication of self-enquiry, and therefore, wish to respond to that to share my understanding of the practice and implication of the Self-enquiry, as taught by Sri Bhagwan, sometime in the evening today or tomorrow, whenever I get some free time to contemplate and after I am able to give form to my understanding coherently.

Thanks very much, bhai saheb.
Pranam,
  Anil

« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 08:59:09 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: September 04, 2014, 10:08:47 AM »
Anil,

I have some misgivings about your exposition of the implication of self-enquiry

I have hardly touched on this subject.Please bear with me for sometime and let me complete first what I would like to say.On account of paucity of time,I am unable to cover all at one stretch.

Namaskar.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: September 04, 2014, 05:53:19 PM »
Where Spring, the lord of the seasons,
reigneth, there the Unstruck Music
sounds of itself, There the streams of light flow in all
directions ; Few are the men who can cross to
that shore ! There, where millions of Krishnas
stand with hands folded, Where millions of Vishnus bow their
heads, Where millions of Brahmas are reading
the Vedas, Where millions of Shivas are lost in
contemplation, Where millions of Indras dwell in the
sky, Where the demi-gods and the munis
are unnumbered,
Where millions of Saraswatis, Goddess of Music, play on the vina
There is my Lord self-revealed : and the scent of sandal and flowers dwells in those deeps.
Sage Sri Kabir

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: September 05, 2014, 08:19:32 AM »
Sri Duncan Greenlees has reminisced thus:

There was a young lawyer from North India. He was a passionate lover of the Divine Child of Brindavan, athirst for heart-food and longing for human soul to worship as a form of the Lord of Love. We slept next to each other under the stars, and talked nightly for hours of Mira and her Divine Spouse.  This friend stayed in the Ashram restlessly for about two weeks. Each evening he told me he would go away next day, he had nothing to do with Advaita or with this cold lifeless statue on the sofa. I only told him he had come so far, he should wait a little longer. At last I failed to keep him there anymore. He told me he was off that night, to go straight to Brindavan and merge himself, if he could , in his Girdhari Krishna.

He bought some fruit for his farewell offering. Bhagwan was just going in for supper when this friend came up with his bag of oranges. Bhagwan stood and waited for him. He did not speak. His body was thrilled through and through. He ran and fell on Bhagwan's Feet in a simple ecstasy of love, tears flowing from his eyes. The oranges rolled here and there unnoticed. Bhagwan stood silently. The friend got up with difficulty and stood there trembling. He could not speak the words of leave-taking. Bhagwan made a little gesture, with a smile and very gently said, "Sari?. Po!" I had almost to bundle that friend into his waiting Jutka and send him off without a word. He had seen his Lord, in a flash, and he left us in a daze of joy and emotion.

I think he never returned to the Ashram, but I have never forgotten that scene. Even now  the memory thrills me. Yes, Bhagwan can suddenly appear to us as the Beloved of our heart, even when we have never dreamt that he would work such a miracle for us.

I have neither space nor time to tell of all the many incidents I have watched in the Ashram. I have taken all the descriptions of the Jivanmukta I could find in any scripture-Hindu, Budhist, Confucian, Christiann, Muslim, Jain etc. I have watched Bhagwan under all  kinds of circumstances, and checked up what I have seen with those descriptions. I have not the smallest doubt  but that the impression of my first day there is the truth. He alone of all the men I have seen seems to dwell always in Sahaja-samadhi.

Pranam,
  Anil

« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 08:23:49 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3760 on: September 05, 2014, 08:31:23 AM »
Anil/Friends,
The Gist of my previous post is this-What we do is as important as Why we do that.The same act becomes more effective depending on who does that and what motivates him/her.
Whether it is  worship,or Japa or self enquiry-all are effective ,depending on the wholeheartedness of the Devotee.It is not as if One method is superior to another method.

A Prayer,a master act,a king idea
can link man's strength to a transcendent Force.
-Sri Aurobindo's Savitri

In The Gita,the Lord Talks about four classes of Devotees,Chapter 7 Verse 16:

catur-vidha bhajante mam  janah˙ sukrtino Arjuna
Arto jijnAsur arthArthi jnAni ca bharata rsabha

Four types of virtuos(sukrit) men worship Me,O Arjuna:
the man in distress,the man seeking Knowledge,the man seeking welth(Happiness in the world),and the man imbued with wisdom,O Best of the Bharatas.

All these 4 types ,the Lord calls them Sukritas-Yet,there is a clear distinction .
The Arthi is primarily wanting to get rid of any distress he has-This is someone akin to the first type  builder of the wall-This is the tamasic type of devotee.
The arthArthi is the man who need not be in distress but yet  would like to expand his happiness multifold and secure it through strong endeavour-This is the Rajasic type of devotee.
The Jignyasu is the seeker of knowledge who is keenly aware of the temporal and evanescent nature of earthly achievements and happiness-He considers all that to be nothing but misery and is keen to find a way out.
The aRthi is in distress and the jignyAsu may also be in distress-Just what is the difference?The Arthi is trying to find a way to get rid of 'his distress',what he calls 'my misery'.The Jignyasu is trying to find a way to get rid of 'misery' that is common to all creatures.He wants to find an end to 'misery' and not 'my misery'.He is  seeking the eternal and unalloyed.Lord Buddha is a classic example.

These are just archetypes and there will always be a combination of these in anyone and this lends a huge variety.On account of this variety,there are different forms of worship prescribed ,the gross forms of worship and the subtle forms of worship,and depending on the earnestness and wholeheartedness with which they are taken to,the progress of the sadhaka would take place.

The jnAni is outside all this-He is firmly established in the Eternal -Self or God.

continued....

« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 08:35:32 AM by Ravi.N »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: September 05, 2014, 05:36:58 PM »
               Little Of Me

Let only that little be left of me
whereby I may name thee my all.

Let only that little be left of my will
whereby I may feel thee on every side,
and come to thee in everything,
and offer to thee my love every moment.

Let only that little be left of me
whereby I may never hide thee.
Let only that little of my fetters be left
whereby I am bound with thy will,
and thy purpose is carried out in my life--and that is the fetter of thy love.

Sri Rabindranath Tagore

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: September 05, 2014, 09:23:21 PM »
Anil/Friends,
We may now proceed to consider what Sri Bhagavan has taught.Sri Bhagavan's main teaching is -'Be still and know that I am god'.
To 'Be Still' one has to get rid of 'I' and 'mine'.Sri Bhagavan advocated the paths of self surrender and self-enquiry towards this objective,if one may say so.He also admitted that different people are prescribed different approaches  according to their predilection and capacity.

1. All people cannot be expected to do the same kind of action.Each one acts according to his temperament and past lives.Wisdom, Devotion, Action (jnana, bhakti, karma) are all interlocked. Meditation on forms is according to one?s own mind. It is meant for ridding oneself of other forms and confining oneself to one form. It leads to the goal. It is impossible to fix the mind in the Heart to start with. So these aids are necessary. Krishna says that there is no birth (janma) to you, me, etc., and later says
he was born before Aditya, etc. Arjuna disputes it. Therefore it is certain that each one thinks of God according to his own degree of advancement.
You say you are the body in wakeful state; not the body in sleep. Bodies being several-fold for an individual, should not there be infinite capacities for God? Whichever method one follows, that method is encouraged by the Sages. For it leads to the goal like any other method.
(Talk 40)

2.Yogananda:How is the spiritual uplift of the people to be effected? What are the instructions to be given them?
M.: They differ according to the temperaments of the individuals and according to the spiritual ripeness of their minds. There cannot be any instruction en masse.
(Talk 107)

In upadesa manjari Sri Bhagavan categorically states that self enquiry is only for ripe souls.

3.1. What is the method of practice?

As the Self of a person who tries to attain Self-realization is not different from him and as there is nothing other than or superior to him to be attained by him, Self-realization being only the realization of one's own nature, the seeker of Liberation realizes, without doubts or misconceptions, his real nature by distinguishing the eternal from the transient, and never swerves from his natural state. This is known as the practice of knowledge. This is the enquiry leading to Self-realization.

2. Can this path of enquiry be followed by all aspirants?

This is suitable only for the ripe souls. The rest should follow different methods according to the state of their minds.

continued.....

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: September 05, 2014, 09:50:47 PM »
Anil/Friends,

We come across sayings of Sri Bhagavan like this:

"Self-enquiry is the direct path, all other are indirect paths. The first leads to the Self, the others elsewhere.  WHY  WASTE  TIME?"

We will find that elsewhere Sri Bhagavan would admit the opposite as well.Here is an example(Talks 152):

Mrs. Kelly desired to know how she should best learn to meditate. Sri Bhagavan asked if she had made japa (rolling beads as Roman Catholics do). She said: ?No?.
M.: Have you thought of God, His qualities, etc.?
D.: I have read, talked, etc. about such themes.
M.: Well, if the same be revolved in the mind without open expression through the senses it is meditation.
D.: I mean meditation as signified in The Secret Path and Who am I?
M.: Long for it intensely so that the mind melts in devotion. After the camphor burns away no residue is left. The mind is the camphor; when it has resolved itself into the Self without leaving even the slightest trace behind, it is Realisation of the Self.

Again in talk 413,Sri Bhagavan says:
Japa means clinging to one thought to the exclusion of all other thoughts. That is the purpose of japa; it leads to dhyana which ends in Self-Realisation.

It is clear from the above that what is important and vital is not whether the path is direct or indirect-What is important is that the path,whatever that be, be adhered to with full attention and Earnestness.

As the very opening verse of Akshara maNa mAlai assures us:

அருணாசலம் என அகமே நினைப்பவர்
அகத்தை வேர் அறுப்பாய் அருணாசலா

O Arunachala, You root out the ego of those who think 'Arunachalam' in the heart.

This is direct experience of Sri Bhagavan as also countless devotees as well.

continued....

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: September 05, 2014, 10:32:07 PM »
Anil/Friends,
Likewise every one of the sayings of Sri Bhagavan which seems to claim that self-enquiry alone can reveal the Truth,etc are to be taken as an emphasis and nothing else.It is to dispel any doubt that may linger in the minds of the aspirants and to infuse them with conviction.It should not be interpreted to mean that other approaches are inferior or that they do not lead to Self Realization.
Sri Bhagavan cannot be saying something that is contradictory to what other sages have said.

Likewise,Sri AnnAmalai swami's sayings also need to be properly understood:

Moreover, how do you view the following conversation with Sri Annamali Swami? 

Q: Many people find Self-enquiry very difficult. Even most of Bhagwan's devotees seem to follow bhakti path. If one cannot do enquiry successfully, should one first purify the mind with japa?
Sri Annamalai Swami: NO. If you have some interest in the path of self-enquiry you should follow it even if you feel that you are not very good at it. If you want to do self-enquiry effectively and properly you should stick to that method alone. Other methods may be good in their own right but they are not good as preparations for self-enquiry. If you are serious about becoming a good violin player, you take lessons from a good teacher  and practice as much as you can. If you encounter some difficulties you do not switch to the clarinet for a few months, you stay with your chosen instrument and keep practicing till you get it right. The best preparation for the self-enquiry is self-enquiry.

Swami advised me the path of Neti,neti-'I am not the Body;I am not the thoughts;I am the Self;Self is all'.Yet,he also gave me a rock from Arunachala Hill saying that he found a rare power of attraction(Akarshana shakti is the term he used) and asked me whether I can perform puja to it.(I have narrated this elsewhere as well).Swami also advised me to do whatever I can to Sadhus by way of loving service.Through these,the mind is purified and fit for spiritual living.

We just have to contemplate the life of Swami-How for over a decade,Bhagavan always gave him work to do by way of supervising the construction of the Ashram buildings,how he used to give directions to swami and yet instruct that Swami should not reveal it to others but has to carry on that activity against hostile opposition from Chinna Swami!In this way,Swami developed all the Shat Sampatti-Shat Sampatti (the treasure of six qualities: Shama - control or mastery over the mind, dama - control of the sensory organs or Indriyas, Uparati - strict observance of one's Dharma, TitikshA - endurance of heat, cold, pleasure, pain etc., shraddhA - faith in the words of Guru and Veda Shastra, Samadhana - contentedness and single-pointedness of the mind)-It is only after this sort of a discipline that Swami was given the 'Ganja Experience' and only then he made the resolve to pursue it exclusively and was given permission by Bhagavan to do so.
Once When Swami was troubled by sexual thoughts,Sri Bhagavan did not ask him to do 'self enquiry' but he made him stand in the hot sun.

Without these auxilliary disciplines,it is impossible to advance on the spiritual path.

If this be the case,why should they speak the way they did?It is to infuse Faith and determination into the seeker who had put that question.

Irrespective of all the above,if one can take to self-enquiry like a fish in water,he is to be considered supremely fit for that.No question about that.

If we see the program in Sri Ramanasramam ,we find that puja,abhishekam,chanting of the vedas,Tamizh PArAyana -all these are carried on as was during the time Sri Bhagavan Graced the asramam in his physical vehicle.He also strongly advocated Giri Pradakshina.

All these different forms of worship can be concurrently pursued ,without any sort of hierarchical difference-and the earnest seeker will only take advantage of this mix.

Namaskar.