Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758184 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #3735 on: August 28, 2014, 09:03:49 AM »
Quote from Sri Jewell:
"I guess this is the meaning of making distinction between real and false "I". But even the thoughts about it are not possible at all. Only Silence is the language of the Soul. That is what i realize with every attempt to understand it. Seeing this all,no need to understand it actually... It is the way it is.
Than,like You said it,only abidance is what is left,nothing more,and nothing less.

Here is something on this subject i have found recently. And this is indeed something we could see for ourselves,and what You mentioned so many times.

Do not meditate-be!
Do not think that you are-be!
Do not think about being -you are!"

Dear Sri Jewell,

Yes, dear friend, to be what we truly are does not require effort. On the contrary, rising as a creature and pretending to be what we are not (body-mind-ego) requires effort though it may be at a sub-conscious level.
A stage comes in Enquiry when further effort becomes counter-productive. In the advanced stages of the Enquiry, when one is firmly established in the 'I'-consciousness or 'I'-ness, and one does not identify with 'I'-thought any more, Enquiry takes the form of mere, effortless abidance, as you said. From here onwards, Enquiry is only the process of effortless being rather than making an effort to be. This is what is known as the effortless state of being. This is the state when one abandons the false and remains as Being. This is the state, Sri Bhagwan has assured, when the Higher Power rises and takes 'us' to the Heart, subdues 'us and finally devours or merges us in That which Is.   
We must remember the Teaching that ultimately the Self is not revealed or discovered by our effort. Grace is needed and love is added (Atma-vidya). From here on mental effort will only divert our attention from the experience of being, as does the thought in the initial stages of the Enquiry. This is why Sri Bhagwan taught:
Do not meditate-be!
Do not think that you are-be!
Do not think about being -you are!

For, the Self cannot be discovered by meditation and thinking about being because they are possible only so long as duality lasts. Self can be discovered therefore only by our effortless experience of mere being in which there is not even least trace of duality, not even of the 'I'-thought. This is what, in my view, Sri Bhagwan meant when He taught, "Realise 'I Am' and do not think 'I Am'. 'Know I am God'-it is said, and not 'Think I am God.'" 

Thanks very much, my dear friend, Sri Jewell.
Pranam,
 Anil          

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 09:10:10 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: August 29, 2014, 10:48:01 AM »
The great, old devotee, Sri Arthur Osborne has written in his magnum opus, The Path Of Self-knowledge, thus:

A devotee Krishna Jivrajani once asked about this "It is said in books that one should cultivate all the good or daivic (divine) qualities in order to prepare oneself for Self-realisation."
And Sri Bhagwan replied: "All good or daivic qualities are included in Gnana (Knowledge) and all evil or asuric qualities in agnana (ignorance). When Gnana comes all agnana goes and all daivic qualities come automatically. If a man is a Gnani he cannot utter a lie or do anything wrong. It is, no doubt, said in some books that one should cultivate one quality after another and thus prepare for ultimate Moksha (Deliverance), but for those who follow the Gnana or Vichara Marga their sadhana is quite enough in itself for acquiring all daivic qualities, THEY  NEED  NOT  DO  ANYTHING  ELSE."

It may, however, be asked how accessible the Vichara is in fact. It is reported in Spiritual Instruction , compiled shortly after Sri Bhagwan came down from Skandashram, that a devotee asked , "Is it possible for all seekers, whatever their spiritual equipment, to adopt straight away and put into practice this method of enquiry in quest of the Self?"And that He replied: "No, it is intended only for ripe souls. Others should get the necessary training and practice by adopting such other methods as are suited to their individual development, mental and moral."

From the Virupaksha period also a similar reply is reported in the elucidations published as Sri Ramana Gita. The 'other methods' include religious and devotional observances, meditation, invocation, mantras, also breath-control. Not only are these preparatory to the use of the Vichara but they may be used concurrently with it. Many devotees told Sri Bhagwan that they used such methods prescribed by some guru or asked His authorisation to use them, and He listened graciously and approved. But when any found these other methods fall away He approved of that also. A devotee told Him that he no longer found any support from the other methods He had formerly used and asked His authorisation to drop them and He replied, "YES,  ALL  OTHER  METHODS  ONLY  LEAD  UP  TO  THE  VICHARA."

During the latter period in the Ashram at the foot of the Hill, there is no record of any such limitation on the use of the Vichara being stipulated, whereas one did hear it  EXPLICITLY  ENJOINED,  together with concentration on the heart, on all who asked the way. This may lead to the conclusion that, in the new form in which Sri Bhagwan presented it, the Vichara had only then been made really accessible to all who, through His Grace, aspired to use it.
Source: The Mind Of Ramana Maharshi And The Path Of Self-knowledge   

Dear Devotees,

I do not know what and how should I say it. Sri Bhagwan's Grace and His Atma-vichara, I feel and know deeply, saved me, and gave a profound meaning to an otherwise routine, meaningless life.  I at once found the meaning, and the Goal was visible, for I had the 'I'(ego)  to start with and now have the 'I' (Self) to  finish with!

Dear devotees, please tell me, in what other methods or systems or paths one has such visible Goal and an infallible, shortest Path, to even start with? Self-enquiry is holistic, that is, the Whole is far more greater than the sum of its components.  Self-enquiry is in itself a complete sadhana. For, Sri Bhagwan has taught: "Yes, all kinds of thoughts arise in meditation. That is only right, for what lies hidden in you is brought out. Unless it rises up how can it be destroyed?"  Therefore, Self-enquiry is itself capable of bringing out most of the predispositions or vasanas from their hiding places to the surface, only to be scrutinised and destroyed, even in its preliminary stages. And residual, entrenched vasanas and filth are done away with in its advanced stages when one basks in the blissful experience of being. Thus, preliminary stages prepare the seekers for the advanced stages.  Self-enquiry is the means as well as the Goal! Its practice invokes His Grace and His Grace lights the Path and facilitates its practice. This is how I  have always felt and experienced.
Dear devotees, yes, it is true that Sri Bhagwan encouraged some of His devotees to sing devotional songs or to practice other methods because they were  appropriate sadhana for them at the time. How can the Doctor give the same treatment to one and all? The Guru, therefore, looks at the maturity and the predilections of each devotee and gives sadhana accordingly. There is no doubt about that.

Having said as above, I wish to say that the many different paths and sadhana are really only preparation for Bhagwan's Path, for ultimately, one has to learn to abide in the Self either by Self-enquiry or by complete surrender.  This is why even the Self-realised Devotee of Sri Bhagwan, Sri Annamalai Swami has taught that if one has some interest in the path of Self-enquiry one must follow it even if one is not very good at it. For the best preparation of the Self-enquiry is Self-enquiry itself. Interest in Enquiry is the divine indication that one is ready to tread the Ultimate Path. Therefore, if we wish to do Self-enquiry effectively and properly, we must stick to the Supreme Path alone.  Remember, Sri Bhagwan has Himself affirmed compassionately that His Vichar Marga is enough in itself for bringing about the necessary mind- purification and acquiring all the divine qualities needed for the sadhana, and to shed the vasanas as well.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil       

« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 11:12:31 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: August 29, 2014, 01:46:46 PM »
Dear Shri Anil ,
Though books are available on self enquiry like  Be As you Are by DAvid Godman ,The technique of MAha Yoga By NArasimha Iyer etc , I request ,and hope others will concur,you share with us  self enquiry  in terms of  how you understand it and how is it to be practiced in a specific post whenever time permits.It will be an insight to all of us.
Thanks and Regards,
Anand.
Sundaram Anand

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: August 29, 2014, 06:29:41 PM »
              ARUNACHAL  SIVA

Almighty Mountain, emblem of the Self!
Red ruby stone, radiant with holy light,
Unborn, deathless, sacred sound of Aum,
Near, as God, you're dear, inside my heart,
Abundantly showering, true love and grace.

Consciousness-absolute's power unfolds,
Helping devotees of Great Lord Ramana.
At your call, He came to dwell and teach
Lifting the world's burden from all who knelt
And prayed to wake from grey dream of life.

Surrendering at your feet, oh Lord!
I am the self! You loudly call, to all,
Victory over dogmatic ego-mind!
Almighty Mountain, emblem of the Self! 

108 Sonnets for Awakening and selected Poems, Sri Alan Jacobs

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: August 30, 2014, 11:06:38 AM »
Quote from Sri Anand:
"Though books are available on self enquiry like Be As you Are by DAvid Godman ,The technique of MAha Yoga By NArasimha Iyer etc , I request ,and hope others will concur,you share with us self enquiry in terms of how you understand it and how is it to be practiced in a specific post whenever time permits. It will be an insight to all of us."

Dear Sri Anand,

Read and reread, always, the small booklet 'Who Am I?' and assimilate the fundamentals and basics of the Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan Himself. There is nothing secret about His great Teaching and everything regarding theory as well as its practice is available in books authored by the Guru Himself, and in books authored by His great devotees.   

Dear friend, in the initial stages of the enquiry, one has no option but to keep on putting in effort by constantly transferring attention from the thoughts to the thinker. Thus, one becomes gradually able to stop the flow of thoughts, and is able to get firmly established in the 'I'-feeling. Therefore, when thoughts arise during Enquiry, do not allow them to develop into a story, but enquire, 'To whom has this thought come?' and thus transfer the attention from the thought to the thinker himself. It does not matter how many thoughts appear, constant enquiry in this manner into their origin (i.e., the ego), sooner or later, will certainly stop the flow of thoughts.

Dear Sri Anand, if you have studied deeply the small booklet 'Who Am I?', you must be aware that Sri Bhagwan employed the analogy of a besieged fort. Has He not? He has taught that if one systematically closes off all the entrances to such a besieged fort and picks off the enemy-occupants, one by one, as they emerge and is slain, sooner or later the fort will be empty of enemies.
Sri Bhagwan has taught that we should apply the same method to the mind to get rid of its content or thoughts. When we do not react to and identify with the risen thoughts or sense impressions, we are, in effect, sealing off the entrances and exits to the mind. For, this is how mind is externalised. Do not allow the rising thoughts to flourish and escape your attention. Set aside your likes and dislikes and do not allow them to enter the mind.
Dear friend, if we have sealed our mind in this manner, our next duty is to challenge each emerging thought as it appears by asking, 'Whence and to whom?' If we succeed to do this much, with full attention, new thoughts will appear momentarily and soon disappear. Sri Bhagwan has taught that if we can maintain this siege of the mind long enough, a time will certainly come when thoughts will not arise any more, and if they do, they will only be fleeting on the periphery of the Consciousness.

My dear friend, Sri Anand,  IF  WE  REACH  THAT  THOUGHT-FREE   STATE,  IN  THAT  THOGUHT-FREE STATE  ONLY  WE  BEGIN  TO  EXPERIENCE  OURSELVES  AS  CONSCIOUSNESS,  AND  NOT  AS  EGO,  MIND  OR  THE  BODY.

Remember at this stage that in a real siege enemy-occupants in the fort will need unbroken supply and provisions to hold on to the fort. When they run short of the provisions, they have no option. They either have to surrender or die. In the mind-fort, the supply is the attention of the thinker. If the thinker withdraws his attention from them, or challenges them as mentioned above, they will certainly die of starvation. Will they not?
However, we need to beware at this stage of our sadhana, for if we relax our vigilance even for a moment, and allow new thoughts to escape our attention and develop unchallenged, it is akin to lifting the siege. The mind will then regain some of its former strength and revert to its old, bad ways.
Dear friend, this is how I started and practiced the Path of Enquiry. However, I feel it is worth mention here that I have always sought and endeavoured to remain true to Sri Bhagwan's Teaching. I have always relied deeply and heavily on His Grace! And He never, never failed me!

Once we are firmly established in the 'I'-feeling, we should go deeply into the 'I'-feeling. One should be aware of this feeling so strongly and intensely that other thoughts should have no energy left to arise in the first place, and if they arise at all, they should not have power to distract us. AND  IF  WE   ARE  ABLE  TO  HOLD  THIS  FEELING  OF  'I'  LONG  AND  STRONGLY  ENOUGH,  THE EGO,  MASQUERADING  FALSELY  AS  'I'  WILL  SURE  VANISH  AND  ONLY  THE  UNBROKEN  AWARENESS OF  THE  REAL  IMMANENT  'I' WILL REMAIN, WHICH  SRI  BHAGWAN  HAS  TAUGHT,  IS  THE  CONSCIOSNESS  ITSELF.

Dear friend, Sri Anand, it is adequate if we are, by His Grace, able to cling to the feeling 'I' till the very end. This is what is called Self-attention. Through the aforesaid Self-attention we are more and more firmly fixed in our existence-consciousness and since now there is no one to attend to them, predispositions or tendencies or vasanas are destroyed. 'Just as a pearl -diver, tying a stone to his waist, dives into the sea and takes the pearl lying at the bottom, so everyone, diving deep within himself with non-attachment (vairagya), can attain the pearl of Self. If one resorts uninterruptedly to Self-remembrance (Swarupa-Smarnai, that is, remembrance of or attention to the mere feeling 'I') until one attains Self, that alone will be sufficient. As long there are enemies within the fort, they will continue to come out. If one continues to cut all of them as and when they come, the fort will fall in our hands.' 

But, nevertheless, one should not overdo it. Although darkness goes all at once when the sun rises, for a sadhaka on the spiritual path, more often than not, it comes step by step. For instance, when I wrote above 'if we are able to hold this feeling of 'I' long and strongly enough', I didn't mean that one should overdo it or one should overstretch oneself in the hope that one  will get enlightened all at once, which can turn out to be one's undoing. When the mental movement is considerably off by Sri Bhagwan's Method as described above, and when the thought process has considerably slowed down, holding on to the feeling of 'I' for longer and longer duration with more and more intensity is quite natural and spontaneous.

Dear Sri Anand, a great clue, which worked like a wonder in my case is the understanding:

REMEMBER, YOU  ARE  THE  ABSOLUTE  SUBJECT  SEEING  THE OBJECT. YOU ARE PRIOR  TO  WORLD  AND  OBJECTS.  WHILE  THE  ENQUIRY  IS  ON,    WHAT  IS   BEING  SOUGHT  IS,  IN  FACT,  THAT  THROUGH  WHICH  ALL  THE  SEEING  IS  HAPPENING. We  are  searching  for  Self  or  God  as  an  object,  but what we are looking for  is, at the culmination of the Enquiry, found to be the Subject himself.
At this stage of your sadhana, I wish to convey one more thing. Keep seeking the Source, or the Self, that is, yourself, first consciously and then take this seeking of yourself, by His Grace and practice, to the subconscious level. This is essential until you reach true 'yourself', that is, until you reach the Self or the Source. This is the dynamic element in the quest. SRI BHAGWAN HAS ASSURED THAT EVERYTHING WILL BE ALL RIGHT IN THE END.   

Dear friend, since you asked me, in all earnestness, to explain my understanding of Self-enquiry and about its practice, I just responded, in all my sincerity, and as best as I could do, but remember, Sri Bhagwan alone is the Guru. Have love and deep faith in His Grace and timely Guidance. It alone will never fail you.

Thanks very much, my dear friend, Sri Anand.
Pranam,
  Anil

« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 01:00:29 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: August 30, 2014, 06:00:07 PM »
O Friend ! hope for Him whilst you live, know whilst you live, under- stand whilst you live : for in life deliverance abides.
If your bonds be not broken whilst living, what hope of deliverance in death?
It is but an empty dream, that the soul shall have union with Him because it has passed from the body :
If He is found now, He is found then,
If not, we do but go to dwell in the City of Death.
If you have union now, you shall have it hereafter.
Bathe in the truth, know the true Guru, have faith in the true Name !
Kabir says : " It is the Spirit of the quest which helps ; I am the slave of this Spirit of the quest."
Sage Sri Kabir

Do not go to the garden of flowers
O Friend ! go not there ;
In your body is the garden of flowers.
Take your seat on the thousand petals of the lotus, and there gaze on the Infinite Beauty.
Sage Sri Kabir

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: August 31, 2014, 10:30:43 AM »
O Arunachala! In Thee the picture of the universe is formed, has its stay, and is dissolved; this  is the sublime Truth. Thou art the Inner Self, who dancest in the Heart as 'I'. 'Heart' is Thy name, O Lord!

Sri Annamalai Swami:
'Those who think of Arunachala will gain mukti' the scriptures say this. But even though one may stay at Arunachala, one may not feel any devotion towards the Hill. One may not regard it as God. Many people are living here without giving more than a passing thought to the Mountain. How can we conclude that such people are living in Arunachala? The truth is one is where one's mind is. If one is living here but the whole of one's mind is thinking of another place, one is really in that other place.

Sri Arthur Osborne:
But it is astonishing how the aspect changes as one treads the eight-mile road around it (Sri Arunachala), going the prescribed way, from the south to west, with one's right side to the Hill; and each aspect has its character and symbolism--that where it flings back an echo, that where the peak barely between foothills, like the Self in interval between two thoughts, that of the five peaks, that of Siva and Sakti, and others.

Dear Devotees,

There is no difference. Sri Ramana is not different from Sri Arunachala. Sri Ramana is verily Sri Arunachala and Sri Arunachala is Sri Ramana! It is, therefore, Sri Arunachala Ramana, the Self, our Atma-swaarupa. Sri Bhagwan has Himself, at least once, affirmed that He is none other than Sri Arunachala Ramana!

Sri Bhagwan has sung: 'I had but thought of Thee as Aruna, and lo! I was caught in the trap of Thy Grace! Can the net of Thy Grace ever fail, Oh Arunachala?'(Verse-102, Aksharamanamalai)'
'O Arunachala! As I thought of You and so got caught in the web of your Grace, You, like a spider, held me tight and consumed me.'(Verse-103, Aksharamanamalai)

Sri Annamalai Swami, referring to the above verse, says that if we think even just once, Sri Arunachala responds by trying to draw us into Itself.  It is accomplished by making us think about Itself more and more. 
The thought of God does not come at random or on our own , much as we may like to believe. It is manifestation of divine Grace.  So, when  we think of Sri Arunachala even once, with love and devotion,  the Holy Mountain responds by drawing us to Itself, makes us think of Him more and more, and by His Grace, enables His devotees to keep their minds constantly on Him.  And when the meditation on Sri Arunachala, in the heart, becomes strong and continuous, It then pulls us into Itself, and like the spider, ultimately devours us when we thus ripen.  This is how Sri Arunachala makes us surrender completely to Him. Hence, the great devotee, Sri Swami says that in case of ripe devotees, it is possible to say that a single thought of Sri Arunachala can lead, step by step, to liberation.

Therefore, dear devotees, those who are drawn to Sri Arunachala, I feel, experience Its transcendent state and  feels Its Peace more deeply,  and  thus become aware of the silent resistless change that takes place in His Presence.  They do not wish and seek worldly things from Him. Hence, the Way of Sri Arunachala is the Way of Sri Bhagwan , the Mystery of Sri Arunachala is the Mystery of Sri Bhagwan! They both set them free from wishes and desires and thus lead to supreme  fulfilment.  MYSTERY  AND  WAY  OF  SRI  ARUNACHALA  RAMANA  IS  THE  MYSTERY  AND  WAY  OF  THE  SELF  OR  GOD.
Note: It is worth mention here that Sri Bhagwan, once referring to the Egyptian Pyramids, revealed that the mystery of the Pyramids was the mystery of the Self!

..............at that very moment  an enormous star had trailed slowly  across the sky. Many had seen it, even as far away as Madrass, and felt what it portended.  It passed to the north-east toward the peak of  Arunachala!
Sri Arthur Osborne

"ONLY  TO  CONVEY   BY  SILENCE  THY  TRANSCENDENT   STATE   THOU  STANDEST  AS  A  HILL,  SHINING  FROM  HEAVEN  TO  EARTH,  O  ARUNACHALA!"

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 10:45:29 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: August 31, 2014, 01:12:01 PM »
Dear Shri Anil,
It seems the focussing on I am is a natural progression from the initial period of self enquiry wherein one resorts to whom are these thoughts , me,who am I or is it consciously to be resorted to ?
I have spent years on to whom are these thoughts , me,who am I routine when I have felt my mind is not calm .I did not wait for the next thought to fire this Brahma Ashtra as you have indicated as one of the incorrect practices but I was on my own firing Brahma Ashtras on the premise regularly that this was the only active sadhana i.e assume that till the self is realised the pent up vasanas will try to keep on trying to sprout  and have to atacked with the to whom are these thoughts , me,who am I -perhaps this was also equally incorrect or insufficient .
If the focus on the I am feeling is a natural progression from the to whom are these thoughts , me,who am I routine then I feel that I have not wasted much time . I still feel I am not ready for the stage in the enquiry when the thoughts have sufficiently died down and natural  focus is on I am .
However if the focussing on I am is to be concurrently attemped to be done  with the practice of the to whom are these thoughts , me,who am I  routine to defend oneself against thoughts, then I have seem to have erred on ths part .
Some light on this will be useful.THough Bhagavan's grace is always there, his grace operates in may ways and if someone like you and others on this forum  point out some mistakes in above practice, I cannot but feel it is an expression of his grace.
THus Shri Anil,  I look forward to your response -and am ready to swallow the bitter bill and make a course correction as required.
Regards,
Anand Sundaram
Sundaram Anand

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: August 31, 2014, 05:34:30 PM »
Anand Sundaram,

THough Bhagavan's grace is always there, his grace operates in may ways and if someone like you and others on this forum  point out some mistakes in above practice,I cannot but feel it is an expression of his grace.

I have been thinking of sharing a few fundamentals of spiritual living and if we can pay attention to this would help us find our way,irrespective of what approach we take,be it self -enquiry or any other.

1.The very first thing that an aspirant needs to understand is that nothing in this world ,be it our kith and kin,be it riches,be it any other thing-can give us fulfillment.If this is clearly understood in the deepest sense,this very understanding frees us from the entrapment of the world process.The Upanishad declares this categorically:
na karmanAna prajAya dhanEna thyagEnaikE amritatvamAnasuh-Neither through action,nor through progeny nor through riches but only through renunciation alone is immortality attained.The aspirant who understands this firmly is already well on his way towards realizing the Self or God.The Renunciation should be an inner one and does not refer to any outer giving up.

2.The aspirant who understands the above automatically gravitates towards God or Self-as he automatically feels the inner pull.This is what is termed Bhakti.He maintains this inner attitude even when engaged in outer activity.

3.If such a one does any concentrated practice at definitive hours as sadhana,he shifts his attention to God or Self -he does not have anything to do with anything whatsoever  in the world.He does not even pay attention to any thought-be it habitual or stray.He spontaneously becomes aware of the inner presence that stands detached and stays with this.This is the beginning of true spiritual practice.This in itself would intensify and lead him onward.

To sum up,if one needs to do meditation or Vichara,one has to maintain the understanding and the inner attitude at all times-even if one tends to forget while being engaged in outer activities,one has to catch oneself as it were,and take recourse to the inner remembrance.
With this attitude firmly established,one then does vichara or any other practice,one then finds that he need not 'do' the practice-The Practice is to end all doings and doership.Even if thoughts assail one,one does not pay attention and ignores it and abides in the Self or God.Just like  space is not disturbed by the objects that occupy it,the Self or God is likewise the substratum.

In your practice,it appears to me that you are paying too much attention to thoughts,and are caught up in that.The aim of 'who am I' is to shift the attention from the thoughts to the substratum of 'I am'.You are too 'active' and this very 'activity' is self defeating.Please see if this is so.
It would help to start with a simple prayer to Guru/God as it would help one to center oneself and move away from the vortex of thoughts.The practice would then become simpler and less arduous.

Hope this is helpful.Wishing you the very Best.

Namaskar.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 06:06:32 PM by Ravi.N »

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: August 31, 2014, 06:50:59 PM »
Made some mistakes in the last post -hence removing and rewriting  herewith .

Dear Ravi Sir,
Thanks for your inputs also.I will need some time to reflect on your inputs in conjunction with Shri Anil's.Also Shri Anil , I would like to elaborate on more thing - the premise behind which I practice to whom are these thoughts , me who am I so that I can get a more specific response will help me. .
Say if I were to spend at some point in the day 10 minutes in sadhana ,I tend to believe that given a free rein, the mind would think as varied thoughts as possible in those 10 minutes and if I were to spend 10 minutes in the to whom are these thoughts , me who am I sadhana (not merely repeating these words but subduing the energies thereby that would otherwise give rise to thoughts )I am inclined to believe that I am killling some vasanas .Kindly correct me if I am wrong here or need some modification in practice to also revert to focus on the I am feeling .
c.c. Shri RAvi :- If shri Anil reverts back saying that I equally need to consciously hold the I am feeling , then I will need your help for some more eloboration  on concentrating on the I am feeling , since otherwise i can expect the enquiry to automatically take me to that step.
Sundaram Anand

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: August 31, 2014, 08:53:06 PM »
Anand Sundaram,
I have not suggested holding onto the 'I am' or concentrating on 'I am'.
If we give up all that are foreign to us,we simply stay as 'I am'-We need not hold onto it in-not in the way we usually understand the meaning of 'Holding onto something'.
Just like we do not need to hold onto 'I am Anand' or 'I am Ravi' thought ,but simply take it as such,likewise the 'I am' is a state of simple Being or awareness,without even naming itself as 'I AM'.
The key thing is Renunciation-the stronger it is ,the rest becomes simpler.What I have tried to emphasize is that without the spirit of renunciation,there cannot be progress in Sadhana.It is like trying to row a boat which is anchored,the effort will not be fruitful.
Namaskar.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: September 01, 2014, 07:36:15 AM »
Quote from Sri Ravi:
"I have not suggested holding onto the 'I am' or concentrating on 'I am'.
If we give up all that are foreign to us,we simply stay as 'I am'-We need not hold onto it in-not in the way we usually understand the meaning of 'Holding onto something'.
Just like we do not need to hold onto 'I am Anand' or 'I am Ravi' thought ,but simply take it as such, likewise the 'I am' is a state of simple Being or awareness, without even naming itself as 'I AM'."

Dear Sri Ravi,

Ji. Yes. There is no doubt about that. If one can attain or be in that state of simple, pure being, or awareness, it is all right. But one cannot reach it without effort. One has to contend with age long predispositions, and therefore, effort has to be put in to get rid of them. Sri Bhagwan has Himself affirmed this:

"Effortless and choicless awareness is our real nature. If we can attain it or be in that state, it is all right. But one cannot reach it without effort, the effort of deliberate mediation. All age-long vasanas carry the mind outward and turn it to external objects. All such thoughts have to be given up and the mind turned inward. For that, effort is necessary for most people. Of course everybody, every book says, 'Be quiet or still'. But it is not easy, That is why all this effort is necessary. Even if we find one who has at once achieved tha mauna or Supreme state, you may take it that the effort necessary has already been finished in a previous life. So that, effortless and choiceless awareness is reached only after deliberate meditation. The meditation can take any form which appeals to you best. See what helps you to keep away all other thoughts and adopt that method for your meditation."(Day by Day with Bhagwan) 

Only thing,form of meditation adopted by us here is Self-enquiry.
Thanks very much, dear Sri Ravi Bhai Saheb.
Pranam,
  Anil

Dear Sri Anand,

Sri Bhawan has taught that 'I AM' is the Realisation and pursuing the clue till Realisation is Vichara (Self-enquiry). Therefore, we must understand that Vichara is both the process as well as the Goal. 'I AM' is the Goal and the final Reality. To hold it with effort is Vichara and when natural and spontaneous it is Realisation.
Dear Sri Anand, 'To whom?, To me?, Who am I?' sequence, as I said before several times, and as Sri Ravi said, is a mere contrivance, to turn the attention on the existence of one's self, on the feeling 'I', and is not, by any means, the aim and objective by itself. Remember for once and all:
'I AM' is the Goal.
'I AM' is also the Practice.
Egoless 'I Am' is our natural state, that is, out pure state of being or awareness. Therefore, holding the egoless 'I Am' is same as remaining as we are, remaining in our pure and simple state of being or awareness.

Therefore, question of reverting back does not arise. What I mean to say is when, in the beginning, one sits to perform Self-enquiry, thoughts will rise in hordes, and attention will swerve away from the 'I'-feeling or the existence of one's self or being or 'am'-ness. This is lapse in vigilance which, in the beginning, is only natural because of accumulation of predispositions in numerous births. How else they will be destroyed? So, when one becomes aware of the lapse in concentration on the 'I Am'-ness, one should regain the attention on ones being by resorting to the method 'To whom?', etc. , as you have been doing. But the main sadhana even at this stage is to dwell on our own sense of existence (I Am) for as long as possible, without over-exerting oneself mentally.

Therefore, my dear friend, Sri Anand, what I meant to convey was not that focus on 'I Am' was necessarily only a natural progression. What I mean to say is as one progresses on the Path of Self-enquiry, and as mental movement is gradually slowed down, to hold the 'I AM' is progressively more natural and spontaneous, which leads to Self-abidance in its culminating phases. However, superficial vasanas or predispositions start getting depleted from the very beginning. But more deeply entrenched or residual predispositions are eradicated in the advanced stages and their eradication depends on and corresponds to the duration of our thought free abidance as mere 'I Am' or in a state of pure and simple being. But as I wrote in my previous post to you, so long as enemy is within they will continue to come out as and when they get opportunity. There is no need to get disheartened. So, one should remain vigilant till the very end, and when a thought arises it should not escape our attention and one should not identify with it, but instead, fire immediately the Brahmastra 'To whom has this thought come?, Who Am I?' and regain the Self-attention. Therefore, focussing on 'I Am' is the main thing and one is supposed to fire Brahmastra only when needed, that is, when the attention is diverted to mundane thoughts and objects, and as soon as one becomes aware of the lapse, to bring back attention on to one's existence or sense of one's being or to simple, egoless 'I Am'.  Remember, Sri Bhagwan has cautioned that 'Who Am I?' enquiry is not a chant, but the very purpose of Self-enquiry is to focus the entire mind at its Source, and to keep it steadily poised in pure Self-awareness. Neither it is a case of one 'I' searching for another 'I', for really there is only one 'I', i.e., the Immanent Consciousness. 

Therefore, dear Sri Anand, yes, as long as there are  tendencies towards sense impressions in the mind, you will have to resort to Brahmastra, that is, when thoughts arise, you  have to annihilate all of them, then and there, in their very place of origin, and seek to continue to hold the feeling 'I' for as long as possible.

Dear Sri Anand, Self-enquiry, as taught by Sri Bhagwan, is an inner quest, implying that really Self-enquiry begins when we cling to our own Self and are already off the though-waves.

However, yes, as Sri Ravi Bhai Saheb has said, all effort is only to reach the state of effortlessness, for Realisation happens, not by our effort, but by His Grace and by remaining as 'I AM' or in a state of pure being.
Therefore, there is no need to pay too much attention to thoughts and get worried. Sri Bhagwan has taught conversely that if one is able to cling to oneself, that is, to the 'I'-thought, one need not go on rejecting thoughts, for if we can do that, that is, if we keep our interest to that single idea or thought, other thoughts will automatically get rejected and they will vanish. 

Besides, Sri Bhagwan has taught that much as we may fancy that there is no end if we go on rejecting every thought when it rises, truth is there is an end. If we are vigilant and make a stern effort to reject every thought when it rises, we will soon find that we are going deeper and deeper into our own inner self and a stage comes soon when it is not necessary to make an effort to reject thoughts, for it is impossible to make an effort beyond a certain extent!     

Thanks very much, dear friend, Sri Anand.
Pranam,
  Anil       
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 08:00:31 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: September 01, 2014, 05:22:00 PM »
Quote from Sri Ravi:
1.The very first thing that an aspirant needs to understand is that nothing in this world ,be it our kith and kin, be it riches, be it any other thing-can give us fulfilment. If this is clearly understood in the deepest sense, this very understanding frees us from the entrapment of the world process. The Upanishad declares this categorically:
na karmanAna prajAya dhanEna thyagEnaikE amritatvamAnasuh-Neither through action, nor through progeny nor through riches but only through renunciation alone is immortality attained. The aspirant who understands this firmly is already well on his way towards realizing the Self or God. The Renunciation should be an inner one and does not refer to any outer giving up.

2.The aspirant who understands the above automatically gravitates towards God or Self-as he automatically feels the inner pull. This is what is termed Bhakti. He maintains this inner attitude even when engaged in outer activity.

3.If such a one does any concentrated practice at definitive hours as sadhana, he shifts his attention to God or Self -he does not have anything to do with anything whatsoever in the world. He does not even pay attention to any thought-be it habitual or stray. He spontaneously becomes aware of the inner presence that stands detached and stays with this. This is the beginning of true spiritual practice. This in itself would intensify and lead him onward.

To sum up, if one needs to do meditation or Vichara, one has to maintain the understanding and the inner attitude at all times-even if one tends to forget while being engaged in outer activities, one has to catch oneself as it were, and take recourse to the inner remembrance.

Dear Sri Ravi,

Ji. Yes. Thanks very much, sir, for a beautiful post. State of such a one is, in my view, the state of 'Bhaktir avyabhicharini' or 'unswerving devotion' , the Verse 13-10 of the Gita speaks of. Enquiry also leads to the same state in its advanced stages. Enquiry, by His Grace, leads to the same unshakeable understanding which helps the seekers or devotees to maintain inner quietude and beatitude at all times whether engaged in outer activities or not. Therefore, ji, yes, this is the beginning of a true spiritual practice. Likewise, Sri Bhagwan taught that real Self-enquiry begins when one is already of the thought waves. However, in the case of enquiry, thought waves will go away only after the vasanas or predispositions have either been rooted out or brought under manageable limits. Then only the understnading will remain unshakeable in all circumastances.

Pranam,
  Anil 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 05:25:25 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: September 02, 2014, 07:49:39 AM »
Anil/Friends,

However, in the case of enquiry, thought waves will go away only after the vasanas or predispositions have either been rooted out or brought under manageable limits. Then only the understnading will remain unshakeable in all circumastances.

Yes indeed Anil Bhai.There are  other things that an aspirant must do by way of Preparation-and these are the foundation of spiritual Living.

1.First and foremost he has to organize his life in such a manner that he eschews all that is inimical to spiritual Living.Whatever serves to only ennervate and dissipate-These activities must be clearly identified and seen as such.This is Viveka.

2.Having clearly identified such activities,there must be a strong determination to eschew them totally-This is Vairagya.

3.To help strengthen points 1 & 2,an aspirant needs to engage in Satsangha or Sadhu Sangha.Reading Books like Bhagavatham or The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna or Letters from Sri Ramanasramam -and other scriptural works like the Upanishads ,etc are something which is within the reach of any aspirant.

4.He then should reinforce the above through steadfast devotion or Bhakti by way of Chanting Inspirational verses(Stotras) ,singing Bhajans,Kirtans,etc,Contemplating on the Lives of Great ones-Like listening to Sri Bhagavan narrating the Life of Kannappa Nayanar and other Saints.

All other activities of life like going for a job,earning money,attending to Kith and kin can very well go on -with the spiritual Living as the center and dominant AdhAra Sruti or Fundamental note.

The aspirant has to diligently and patiently prepare himself in all these ways,before he starts realizing the benefit of spiritual Practice.Ignoring the fundamentals,if one were to simply 'dream' or hope for spiritual reward,it would be futile and wishful thinking only.

Renunciation is the Fort of the aspirant.I will next post from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna as to how the master compares strong versus weak renunciation.

I have written at length for general benefit.I know that Anil Bhai is supremely Blessed and has the above qualities embedded in his practice-and hence he can truthfully and rightfully say-'Self-enquiry alone is sufficient'

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: September 02, 2014, 08:09:12 AM »
Friends,
An excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

Bondage removed by strong renunciation

VIJAY: What must the bound soul's condition of mind be in order to achieve liberation?

MASTER: "He can free himself from attachment to 'woman and gold' if, by the grace of God, he cultivates a spirit of strong renunciation. What is this strong renunciation? One who has only a mild spirit of renunciation says, 'Well, all will happen in the course of time; let me now simply repeat the name of God.' But a man possessed of a strong spirit of renunciation feels restless for God, as the mother feels for her own child. A man of strong renunciation seeks nothing but God. He regards the world as a deep well and feels as if he were going to be drowned in it. He looks on his relatives as venomous snakes; he wants to fly away from them. And he does go away. He never thinks, 'Let me first make some arrangement for my family and then I shall think of God.' He has great inward resolution.

Parable of the two farmers

Let me tell you a story about strong renunciation. At one time there was a drought in a certain part of the country. The farmers began to cut long channels to bring water to their fields. One farmer was stubbornly determined. He took a vow that he would not stop digging until the channel connected his field with the river. He set to work. The time came for his bath, and his wife sent their daughter to him with oil. 'Father,' said the girl, 'it is already late. Rub your body with oil and take your bath.' 'Go away!' thundered the farmer. 'I have too much to do now.' It was past midday, and the farmer was still at work in his field. He didn't even think of his bath. Then his wife came and said: 'Why haven't you taken your bath? The food is getting cold. You overdo everything. You can finish the rest tomorrow or even today after dinner.' The farmer scolded her furiously and ran at her, spade in hand, crying: 'What? Have you no sense? There's no rain. The crops are dying. What will the children eat? You'll all starve to death. I have taken a vow not to think of bath and food today before I bring water to my field.' The wife saw his state of mind and ran away in fear. Through a whole day's back-breaking labour the farmer managed by evening to connect his field with the river. Then he sat down and watched the water flowing into his field with a murmuring sound. His mind was filled with peace and joy. He went home, called his wife, and said to her, 'Now give me some oil and prepare me a smoke.' With serene mind he
finished his bath and meal, and retired to bed, where he snored to his heart's content. The determination he showed is an example of strong renunciation.
Now, there was another farmer who was also digging a channel to bring water to his field. His wife, too, came to the field and said to him: 'It's very late. Come home. It isn't necessary to overdo things.' The farmer didn't protest much, but put aside his spade and said to his wife, 'Well, I'll go home since you ask me to.' (All laugh) That man never succeeded in irrigating his field. This is a case of mild renunciation.

As without strong determination the farmer cannot bring water to his field, so also without intense yearning a man cannot realize God. (To Vijay) Why don't you come here now as frequently as before?"

Friends,if we are not making progress in sadhana,it just means that somewhere our spirit of dispassion is not strong enough or that we do not truly want God-Other things occupy our interest and attention.This is an area that we need to pay attention and set aright the root cause,and make the course correction as needed.
Namaskar.