Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 757276 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #3690 on: March 24, 2014, 06:18:08 PM »
"This is my prayer to thee, my lord - strike, strike at the root of penury in my heart. Give me the strength lightly to bear my joys and sorrows. Give me the strength to make my love fruitful in service. Give me the strength never to disown the poor or bend my knees before insolent might. Give me the strength to raise my mind high above daily trifles. And give me the strength to surrender my strength to thy will with love."

Gitanjali, Sri Rabindranath Tagore

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: March 25, 2014, 09:57:37 AM »
Devotee: I have no pleasure in the house. There remains nothing for me to do in the family. I have finished what I had to do. Now there are grandsons and granddaughters. May I remain in the house, or should I leave it and go away?
Sri Bhagwan: You should stay just where you are now. But where are you now? Are you in the house, or is the house in you? Is there any house apart from you? If you get fixed in your own place, you will see all things have merged into you, and there will be no cause for such questions as these.
Devotee: Yes. Then it seems as if I may remain at home.
Sri Bhagwan: You must remain in your REAL STATE.
Talk--634

Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan has thus taught that if we get fixed in our own place, we will see that all things have merged into us. And what is our own place? Sri Arjuna of the Mahabharata sang, "You are transcendent Eternal, the Supreme Abode and the greatest purifier; all the seers speak of You as the eternal divine Purusa, the primal Deity, unborn and all-pervading."
Sri Kabir sang, "Behold what wonderful rest is in the Supreme Spirit! and he enjoys it, who makes himself meet for it."

Our permanent, eternal, all-pervading Abode is the Source from where we, as limited creatures, or as the ego or the 'I'-thought or the mind, arise. As we are aware, this 'I'-thought is both a feeling of existence as well as a feeling of identification with particular names and forms. But the 'I' is, in truth, Existence-Consciousness and Bliss which continues even in deep sleep as well as in waking and dream, whereas the 'I'-thought appears only during waking and dream, and they appear always holding and identifying with particular names and forms.

'I'-thought is important in Self-enquiry because it alone of all thoughts partakes of the feeling of existence. Since the 'I'-thought alone has the scent of awareness (of existence), Sri Bhagwan has given the vivid simile of a dog tracing its master by his scent. But this 'I'-thought is also linked with the body due to feeling of identification. HENCE  ONLY  THE  'I'-THOUGHT  FORMS  A  BRIDGE  BETWEEN  THE  CURRENT  FALSE  KNOWLEDGE  OF  OURSELVES  AND  OUR  TRUE  SELF-EXISTENCE  WHICH  ALONE  IS  OUR  PERMANENT  ABODE.

Dear devotees, we are thus aware that the 'I'-thought is a reflection of the consciousness of the Self, identifying itself with and limiting itself to, the body.
Therefore, with the help of this bridge alone can we cross back to the Realisation of the Self. The 'I'-thought must give up its false sense of independent identity. It must recognise that it arises from the Supreme Self alone, and therefore coming back to the Self, should abide as the Self. That is the Supreme Abode. THAT  IS,  INDEED,  TRULY, COMING  HOME! That's getting fixed in one's own Place, that is, remaining in Real State, Sri Bhagwan speaks of.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil       

« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 10:01:59 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: March 25, 2014, 06:11:59 PM »
Tell me, O Swan, your ancient tale. From what land do you come, O
Swan? to what shore will you
fly? Where would you take your rest, O
Swan, and what do you seek?
Even this morning, O Swan, awake,
arise, follow me ! There is a land where no doubt nor
sorrow have rule : where the terror of
 Death is no more. There the woods of spring are a bloom,
and the fragrant scent "He is I"
is borne on the wind : There the bee of the heart is deeply
immersed, and desires no other
joy.

Sage, Sri Kabir

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: March 30, 2014, 11:59:03 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Major Sri Alan Chadwick  said, "'TALKS'  IS  ALL  PURE  GOLD".  What follows, is, in my view, pure gold of a conversation:

Sri Bhagwan remarked: People see the world. The perception implies the existence of a seer and the seen. The objects are alien to the seer. The seer is immediate, being the Self. They do not however turn  their attention to finding out the obvious seer but run analysing the seen. The more the mind expands, the further it goes and renders Self-realisation more difficult and complicated.  THE  MAN  MUST  DIRECTLY  SEE THE  SEER  AND  REALISE  THE  SELF.   
D: So then, it amounts to synthesising phenomena and finding the one Reality behind.
Sri Bhagwan: Why do you still consider the phenomena? SEE   WHO  THE  SEER  IS.  Synthesis  means engaging the mind in other pursuits. That is not the way to Realisation.
D: I want to eliminate the  non-self so that the Self may be realised. How shall I do it? What are the characteristics of the non -self?
Sri Bhagwan: There is one who says that the non-self must be eliminated. Who is he?
D: I mean this man. When I travel from Calcutta to Madras I must know Madras so that I may not alight at an intermediate station out of ignorance. There are the sign boards and the time table to guide me in my travel. BUT  WHAT  IS  THE  GUIDE  IN MY SEARCH  FOR  THE  SELF?
Sri Bhagwan : It is all right for the journey. You know how far away you are from Madras.  CAN  YOU  TELL  ME  HOW  FAR  AWAY  YOU  ARE  FROM  THE  SELF  IN  ORDER  THAT  YOU  SHOULD  SEEK  IT?
D: I do not know.
Sri Bhagwan: Are you ever divorced from the Self? Is it possible to be divorced? Are not all these alien to you and the Self most intimate. Where should you go to gain the Self?
D: I am now away from the Self. I must retrace my steps in order to regain it.
Sri Bhagwan: How far away? Who says that he is apart? CAN  THERE  BE  TWO  SELVES?
D: It is said that individuals are modifications of the Self, just as ornaments are of gold.
Sri Bhagwan: When a man speaks in terms of ornaments ignoring their substance gold, he is told that they are gold. But here man is consciousness and speaks of himself as its modification. Do you remain apart from Self that you speak of yourself as Its modification?
D: Cannot gold be imagined to say that it has become an ornament?
Sri Bhagwan : Being insentient, it does not say so. But the individual is sentient and cannot function apart from consciousness. The Self is Pure Consciousness. Yet the man identifies himself with the body which is itself insentient and does not say "I am the body" of it's own  accord. SOMEONE  ELSE  SAYS  SO.  The unlimited Self does not. Who else is he that says so? A spurious 'I' arises between the Pure Consciousness and the insentient body and imagines itself limited to the body. Seek this and it will vanish as a phantom. That phantom is the ego, or the mind or the individuality.
All the sastras are based on the rise of this phantom, whose elimination is their purpose. THE  PRESENT  STATE  IS  MERE  ILLUSION. DISILLUSIONMENT  IS   THE  GOAL  AND  NOTHING  MORE. 
Talk-427

Dear devotees,  Ego is not independent of the Self and therefore it cannot be created or destroyed by itself.  Sri Bhagwan has taught that it functions as an instrument of the Self and periodically ceases to function.  Thus it appears and disappears, just like the phantom.
Why does Sri Bhagwan teach us that the Self-enquiry is the only infallible means? Because, the phantom-like ego has its source from the Self and is not separate from it. Therefore, even rationally it is obvious that the ego, being non-existent and a non-entity, must only be retraced in order that it might merge in its Source.  THE  CORE  OF  THE  EGO  IS  THE  HEART.

Dear devotees, we must always remember that we, in the present state of ignorance, are not real "OURSELVES".  Only if one enquires who one is and what one is, and finds out the Truth that one truly becomes 'Oneself'. The Path of the Self-enquiry is to hold on to the 'I', transcending all the differing states of experience. "TO  BE"  IS  TO  REMAIN  AS  THE  UNCHANGING  'I'  AT  ALL  TIMES, AND  THAT ,  SRI  BHAGWAN  HAS  TAUGHT,  IS  TO  BE  THE  TRUTH.  After all, Sri Bhagwan has taught that the Self-realisation is that true State in which one has the plenary experience of one's own True Nature, ONE'S   CHIT-SWAFRUPA, and that is the State of non-emergence of 'I', Sri Bhagwan speaks of.

Thanks very much.
Pranamn,
  Anil 

Note : Dear devotee, I have been assigned myriad official tasks and facing myriad worldly problems and therefore  I am not, at present, able to regularly post as I wish to. This state of affairs is expected to continue for  at least some time. However, I shall continue to post as and whenever I have time to contemplate, write and post. Thank you, Anil.             
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 01:50:49 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: March 30, 2014, 03:13:16 PM »
Dear Devotees,

Sri Arthur Osborne's writing on Sri Bhagwan and His Teaching has always inspired me and filled my heart with happiness. Oh! How I wish I could have emulated him! What follows is an excerpt from the beautiful article "RAMANASHRAM  TODAY", written by Sri Osborne: 

The Maharshi often reminded those who came to Him that they were not the body. Now there are those who presume that He was the body and, no longer seeing His body at Tiruvannamalai, take it that He is not there. But not those who have felt in their hearts the power and subtlety of His Guidance, the vibrant, all- pervading peace of Arunachala, the sacred Mountain at whose Foot His Ashram is located. He used to say: "The purpose of the outer Guru is only to awaken the inner Guru in the heart." And shortly before leaving the body He told a group of devotees: "When the Guru has awakened the inner Guru in the heart of His devotees, He is free to leave the body."
Yes, it may be said, that is very well for those who were already His devotees when He shed the body, but what about those others who approach Him now and feel the need for an outer Guru? 
It may be in some cases He influenced them indirectly through those older disciples in whom the inner Guru has been awakened. CERTAIN  IT  IS  THAT  IN  MANY  CASES  HE INFLUENCES  THEM  DIRECTLY  AND  POWERFULLY,  AS  WITH  THE  AMERICAN  LADY  FROM  WHOSE  LETTER  I HAVE  QUOTED  THOUGH  NOT  NECESSARILY  WITH  ANY  DREAM  OR  VISION.
A visitor asked once whether the contact with the Guru would continue after the dissolution of His physical body and He replied: "The Guru is not the physical form, so contact will remain even after His physical form vanishes."
If it be asked how can He guide individuals or perform any function after having become One with the Absolute, the answer is: in the first place, He has not become One with the Absolute but simply realised His pre-existing and eternal Oneness. In the second place, He had already realised this Oneness while wearing the body and was universal then, as He is now. He Himself told us that death makes no difference to the Jnani. The only way of understanding how the Jnani, who is universal, can perform an individual function is to become one. Therefore, when people asked Him such questions He would usually reply: "Never mind about the Jnani, first find out who you are." And when you have done that fully you are the Jnani.
BUT  SURELY  THIS  CONTINUED  GUIDANCE  AFTER  LEAVING  THE  BODY  IS  UNUSUAL!  Yes, it is unusual; but who is to bind Divine Providence with regulations? The circumstances also are unusual. I have remarked how the formless path the Maharshi prescribed compensates for the modern difficulty in finding adequate guidance within the forms of any religion; similarly, the invisible Guru may compensate for the modern difficulty in finding a fully potent living Guru on earth. Such explanations are for those who like to speculate; for those who are content to strive on the path, guidance is there.
This invisible guidance also has an effect on the Ashram. It means that many or most of those who come, both from India and abroad, are new people who never saw the Maharshi in His lifetime but have been drawn to Him in various ways since then.
The conclusion, then, is that if you are a ritualist or strict formalist, if you crave material boons, if you seek visions or powers, there are other places better suited to you than Ramanashram. But if you have understood the ultimate spiritual goal of liberation and seek Grace and Guidance on the path,   YOU  WILL  FIND  IT  AT  RAMANASHRAM.

Dear devotees, it may be asked then as to how is one to know that one has been taken up by Sri Bhagwan and become His disciple now that He is no longer in the Sri Ramanasramam in the body to confirm it? Sri Osborne has written elsewhere that the same problem existed in His Lifetime also. He very seldom confirmed in words having given initiation. It was to be understood.
Dear devotees, in Sri Bhagwan's Lifetime , AS  NOW, His Initiation came without ritual, whether through a potent, intense look or in a dream or some other way.  NOW  AS  THEN,  PEOPLE  JUST  KNOW  THAT  SRI  BHAGWAN  IS  THEIR  GURU.  HE  IS  CERTAIN,  MORE  THAN  CENT  PERCENT, THAT  HE  HAS  BEEN  TAKEN  UP  AND  THAT  GRACE  IS  FLOWING  TO  THEM  FROM  HIM.

Therefore, dear devotees, yes, certain it is that He, in many cases, influences His preys directly and powerfully, to be devoured by His Grace when they are ripe. I do not however require a testimony, for, to me, this is corroborated from my own experience, an ordinary devotee though I may be.  So, if we cease to merely speculate and wish to be  earnestly fixed in Chit-Swarupa through the Enquiry, His Grace and Guidance are assured on the Royal Path. 

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil       

« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 04:17:23 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: March 30, 2014, 07:43:08 PM »
                    HIDDEN  TREASURE

The great Power within is our hidden treasure,
The pearl of great price beyond any measure.
It's God, it's divine, it's the Sat-Guru within,
Surrender to 'That' and end gross error of sin
Of wandering perverted mind, which ever clouds
The pure shining Self with a myriad of shrouds.
Surrendering to that Power is our holy task,
It will grant liberation if we earnestly seek.

A pilgrim was plodding on the mountain way,
Self enquiring, surrendering everyday.
All of a sudden after effort filled years,
A voice spoke into his welcoming ears,
A power spoke from deep in his heart,
"Walk on! Self Realisation, I shall soon impart!"
Sri Alan Jacobs   

« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 07:48:59 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: March 30, 2014, 09:49:08 PM »
Anil,

BUT  SURELY  THIS  CONTINUED  GUIDANCE  AFTER  LEAVING  THE  BODY  IS  UNUSUAL!  Yes, it is unusual

I find this a little bit of a mixed bag, anil Bhai!Whether the body existed or is left behind,how does it matter?What is unusual about it?The statement seems to annul whatever Arthur Osborne was trying to establish in the first Place-that the Guru is not to be identified with the Body.
For it is said:
Ishwaro Gururatmeti Murti bheda Vibhagine, Vyomavad vyapta dehaya Dakshinamurataye namah.
Guru is only one,he is the Ishwara and He is the Self.
Even if one admits the 'existence' of the 'external' guru-it is not to be identified as a person.
If Guru is identified with God or Self-as this is what is true,the guidance is ever present -everywhere and not just at Ramanasramam.
This is what Sri Bhagavan says in the very opening verse of appalam song.
This is what all the Great ones have said as well.

Namaskar.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: March 31, 2014, 01:14:52 PM »
Sri Arthur Osborne wrote in Mountain Path Editorial under the title "Ramana Sadguru" as following:

Ramana is now as He was. To many Bhagwan said, "You are not the body." We see now that He was not the body. In His body's life time as now, guidance came to all who turned to Him, whether they could approach Him physically or not; now as in His body's lifetime, it radiates with peculiar force from His Ashram at the Foot of Arunachala.
"People say I am leaving", He said just before the body's death. "Where could I go, I am here." Not  "I shall be here" but "I am here." He is here in the eternal here and now; He is here in each one's heart; He is here also in His Ashram at Tiruvannamalai.
He inaugurated a new path independent of formal rites and initiation to suit the conditions of our age when true guidance is hard to find in any of the orthodox channels and when traditional forms of living do not fit into the pattern of life. It would have been a poor gift if it had been for His lifetime only. HE  IS  THE  GURU  NOW  AS  HE  WAS.  Those many who never saw Him in the body find His guidance no less powerful than who did.

Elsewhere Sri Osborne has written thus:
There was always some mystery about the upadesa or spiritual guidance of Sri Bhagwan. He did not give diksha or initiation in the usual way of laying on hands or giving the disciple a mantram to repeat. However, that did not mean that He ignored the necessity for initiation. On the contrary, He explicitly stated that a mantram picked up casually would not be effective but that the user must be duly initiated into it by one with authority.  In fact that was the one thing He was obviously concerned with. He did not approve of questions of theory asked for mere mental gratification, but questions of sadhana or practice He always answered fully and graciously. There was no air of indolence at the Ashram but an intense activity, one might say the activity of a spiritual factory, with the devotees engaged in sadhana and Bhagwan supervising and guiding each one with meticulous though silent care.

Sri Osborne writes: On any who turned to Him in their heart the silent initiation might descend, in whatever place they might be, and any such could learn from the books the technique to be used. Indeed, Bhagwan has sometimes reminded devotees that even the journey to Tiruvannamalai is only illusory, the real pilgrimage having to be made in the heart, and has referred them to the published accounts of the path to be followed.   

Dear Sri Ravi,

Ji. Yes. In my view also, there is nothing unusual about Sri Bhagwan's continued Presence and Guidance. Silent Initiation is still descending on one who is turning to Him in whatever place they may be, as before. Sri Osborne felt that there was always some mystery about His Upadesha and Guidance. He perhaps found all this a little unusual.  That is all. But only because Sri Osborne found all that was happening, post Mahanirvana, a little mysterious and unusual, his beautiful and inspired writing on Sri Bhagwan's Life and His Teaching cannot be annulled, or declared null and void. His magnum opus 'Path of Self-Realization' and Sri Paul Brunton's 'A  Passage to Sacred India', are credited to have made Sri Bhagwan and His Teaching  of Self-enquiry known all over the world.  His writing inspired many all over the world and they subsequently reached the Lotus Feet of Sri Bhagwan, and some of them even to Sri Ramanasramam in Tiruvannamali. This trend is continuing unabated. Rather the number of Indian visitors and visitors from abroad, to Sri Bhagwan's Ashram, to receive Grace and Guidance, is increasing every day.

Quote from Sri Ravi:
"Ishwaro Gururatmeti Murti bheda Vibhagine, Vyomavad vyapta dehaya Dakshinamurataye namah."
Guru is only one,he is the Ishwara and He is the Self.
Even if one admits the 'existence' of the 'external' guru-it is not to be identified as a person.
If Guru is identified with God or Self-as this is what is true,the guidance is ever present -everywhere and not just at Ramanasramam.
This is what Sri Bhagavan says in the very opening verse of appalam song.
This is what all the Great ones have said as well."

Yes, dear Sri Ravi Bhaiya, Sri Bhagwan taught that the Guru, God and the Self are One and the same, and also that even external Guru should not be identified as a person. But for those devotees who were inspired by Sri Bhagwan and His Teaching and pursued the Path of the Atma-vichara, with deep Faith, Sri Bhagwan is the Guru. TO  SUCH  A  ONE,  HE  IS  MORE  ACCESSIBLE  AS  THE   GURU  THAN  ANY  OTHER   GURU. For such a one His Grace is ever palpable and His spiritual Guidance ever available, more so when he needed them most.
Besides, I firmly believe with deep Faith that Lord Arunachala Himself incarnated, out of great compassion, as Bhagwan Sri Ramana, to open and disseminate the Path of Self-enquiry to people at large in general and His devotees in particular. AND  THE  ASHARAM  AT  THE  FOOT  OF  SRI  ARUNACHALA   IS  THE  SEAT  OF THE  DENSE  MASS  OF  GRACE  FROM  WHERE  HIS  GRACE  AND  GUIDANCE  EMANATE   AND  FLOW  TO  THOSE  WHO  TURN  TO  HIM.  Therefore, so long as we are sadhaks doing the sadhana of the Self-enquiry, Sri Ramanasramam  is the Centre. Though I accept that Sri Bhagwan's Presence, Grace and Guidance are available everywhere, undoubtedly here even in Patna, there is no doubt whatsoever that they are more  accessible in Sri Ramanasramam than anywhere else. 

Thanks very much, dear Sri Ravi Bhaiya.
Pranam,
  Anil     

« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 04:14:01 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: March 31, 2014, 04:11:11 PM »
It is the mercy of the Sadguru that has made me to know the unknown;
I have learned from Him how to walk without feet, to see without eyes, to hear without ears, to drink without mouth, to fly without wings;
I have brought my love and my meditation into the land where there is no sun and moon, nor day and night.
Without eating, I have tasted of the sweetness of nectar; and without water, I have quenched my thirst.
Where there is the response of delight, there is the fullness of joy. Before whom can that joy be uttered?
Kabir says: "The Guru is great beyond words, and great is the good fortune of the disciple."
Sage Sri Kabir

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: March 31, 2014, 06:29:42 PM »
Anil,
Yes.Undoubtedly places associated with the Great ones are charged with their presence and devotees can draw benefit by visiting these places and contemplating the wonderful life they lived.This is why all places like temples,Rivers and Mountains,adhistanams(samadhis),other Holy Places  are all held sacred and potent.No doubt about it.

My reference was to the excerpt of Osborne that you posted-and I have always found Osborne's writings go back and forth.I am sure you would have read his autobiography -My life and Quest;His association with Rene Guenon,his taking initiation from a murshid-Quite a chequered background -and this baggage of 'spiritual initiation' was there and this explains his use of the word 'Unusual'.I find that whatever point osborne clearly brought out not infrequently retracted by a counterpoint-and this oscillation was something that I have observed in his writings.

I will post Osborne's quest for the Guru from his autobiography in the Rough Notebook thread.

This is only a general observation and no judgement of his attainment or sincererity.

Namaskar
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 06:41:24 PM by Ravi.N »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: April 01, 2014, 10:56:02 AM »
Sri Arthur Osborne: It was not until the evening of Karthkai when, each year, a beacon is lit on the summit of Arunachala, or it may have been Deepavali, I am not quite sure, when a revelation occurred. There was huge crowds for the festival. I was sitting in the courtyard outside the hall, in front of the couch where Bhagwan was reclining. He sat up, facing me, and his narrowed eyes pierced into me, penetrating, intimate, with an intensity I cannot describe. It was as they said, "You have been told; why have you not realised?" And then quietness, a depth of peace, an indescribable lightness and happiness.
Thereafter love for Bhagwan began to grow in my heart, and I felt His Power and beauty. Next morning, for the first time, sitting before Him in the hall, I tried to follow His teaching by using the vichara, 'Who am I?'  I thought it was I who decided. I did not at first realize that it was the initiation by look that had vitalised me and changed my attitude of mind. Indeed, I had heard only vaguely of this initiation and paid little heed to what I had heard. Only later did I learn that other devotees also had such an experience and that with them also it had marked the beginning of active sadhana under Bhagwan's guidance.
The specious theory that Bhagwan was not a Guru had simply evaporated in the radiance of His Grace. Moreover, I now perceived that, so far His teaching not being practical guidance, it was exclusively that. I observed that He shunned theoretical explanations and kept turning the questioner to practical considerations of sadhana, of the path to be followed.   
From Sri Osborne's article 'The Quest and the Goal' 

Dear Sri Ravi:

Thus ended Sri Osborne's quest for the Guru and once he found his Guru, His Grace set him on the great Quest, that is, the Vichara 'Who am I?'.
Ji. Yes. I am aware of the French writer and philosopher Sri Rene Guenon's influence on Sri Osborne. Sri Osborne has written that he had already understood, through Sri Guenon, that all beings manifest the one Self or Pure Being and that I, in my essence, am identical with the Self. "This means that it is possible to realise this Supreme Identity and become One in very fact and that the purpose of life is do so", wrote Sri Osborne.  He thus understood, even before coming to the Lotus Feet of Sri Bhagwan, that until this purpose, the Goal, was achieved, the illusion of separate or individual life, in one form or the other, must continue and, with its sufferings and frustration, obscure the radiance of Pure Being.
Sri Osborne understood that the great Quest required constant effort on a prescribed path under the guidance of a Guru. During his internment by the Japanese, Sri Osborne says that Sri Bhagwan became the support of his striving more and more though he did not yet accept Sri Bhagwan as the Guru, for he had learnt, fallaciously, from his close friends that Sri Bhagwan was not a Guru and that His Teaching though sublime did not constitute practical guidance on a path that men could follow.

Later Sri Osborne wrote and explained all this to people who had thus misinformed him through a letter. However, he showed this letter to Sri Bhagwan  for His approval. Sri Osborne has mentioned that Sri Bhagwan approved it and handed it back, bidding him to send it.
Sri Osborne strove constantly by way of Vichara as taught by Sri Bhagwan and His Grace flooded his heart with peace and bliss.

"At this time an impulse came to write about Bhagwan and especially to explain the accessibility of the path of Self-enquiry which He taught."

And how wonderfully he was able to do that!

Therefore, dear Sri Ravi Bhaiya, I wish to submit that Sri Osborne's background might be chequered, but I am not even least concerned with his background. What  matters much to me is that he was caught in the net of Sri Bhagwan's Grace,  moved closely  with Him, strove relentlessly by way of Vichara and experienced beatitude and bliss in His Presence, and did his very best to make Sri Bhagwan's Path accessible to seekers in India as well as abroad. Dear Sri Ravi Bhaiya, I am aware that some of the seekers and devotees from all over the world would never have reached the Lotus Feet of Sri Bhagwan, but for Sri Osborne's brilliant and sublime writing on Sri Bhgawan and His Teaching.

As for your observation that Sri Osborne retracted, not infrequently, from whatever point he clearly tried to bring out, by a counterpoint, I wish to say only that Sri Osborne was also a poet at heart, par excellence.

Thanks very much, dear Bhiaya ji.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 11:09:49 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: April 01, 2014, 12:31:51 PM »
Anil,

I wish to submit that Sri Osborne's background might be chequered, but I am not even least concerned with his background. What  matters much to me is that he was caught in the net of Sri Bhagwan's Grace,  moved closely  with Him, strove relentlessly by way of Vichara and experienced beatitude and bliss in His Presence, and did his very best to make Sri Bhagwan's Path accessible to seekers in India as well as abroad

Quite True.

One of the best books(in my view) that introduced Sri Bhagavan and the Tiruvannamalai as well as India of those times, to the wide world is Paul Brunton's A Search in Secret India.This as well as the other series of Brunton's books that followed are among the Best that introduced Sri Bhagavan and his path of self enquiry.I like Brunton's lucid ,fluent ,adventurous,vivid style of narration;he makes everything come alive before the reader's mental eye.

The other one with a wonderful gift for narration and presenting the teachings is David Godman.

Namaskar.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: April 01, 2014, 06:29:54 PM »
Quote from Sri Ravi:
"I like Brunton's lucid ,fluent ,adventurous,vivid style of narration;he makes everything come alive before the reader's mental eye."

Dear Sri Ravi,

Ji. Yes. Thanks very much, Sir. Right now I am reading Sri Paul Brunton's wonderful book 'The Secret Path', an e-book, which was sent to me by Sri Anand Sundaram via E-mail.

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 06:31:30 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: April 01, 2014, 07:19:10 PM »
             MOTHER  MAYA'S  MAGIC
                     PICTURE SHOW

This so-called world you view, dear aspiring friend,
Is a crazed creation of one's ignorant mind;
It's produced by latent tendencies, that we find
From many previous lives, and in the end,
It's like a dream at night in which we pretend
We believe as real; but it's nothing of the kind!
It's like a film, and the spool will soon unwind,
So pictures on the screen 'twill swiftly send.
Sages term it 'instantaneous creation',
It depends on the seer; but who is seeing?
So we're trapped in fanciful fascination,
Tricked by coloured pictures that mind's revealing.
This world's a product of one's imagination
And we're deceived by such a strange sensation.

Sri Alan Jacobs, 108  SONNETS   FOR   AWAKENING
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 07:24:58 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: April 02, 2014, 12:03:03 PM »
Abiding not as this or that,
But ever abiding as the All,
This sovereign Venkata Ramana deigned
To come down to this earth and
Deigned to crown my head
With His twin Feet, thus giving
Me true life, destroying wholly
Bondage to mortality.
V. !!91, Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

'To be' is to abide as the 'All'. Thanks very much, Sir. I need these sublime Verses, in my present sate, to dwell, for as long as I can. I knew that this sublime verse from Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai has been posted here by mistake. Ah! But once posted, why did you remove it, Sir? When I saw this verse posted here, I was filled with joy. 

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir, You have performed, in my view, great tapas, by posting more than 20,000 posts in this forum. Dwelling single-mindedly, constantly and steadfastly on Sri Bhagwan and His Teaching is indeed in itself great tapas. Besides, seekers and devotees are certain to benefit greatly if they go through your posts. Hence, indeed, in retrospect, I feel that all this has been possible due to Sri Bhagwan's Will alone.

Thanks very much, once again, Sir.
Pranam,
  Anil 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 07:15:43 PM by eranilkumarsinha »